PDA

View Full Version : Females as Assistant Coaches - yay or nay?

bonarae
September 11th, 2018, 09:37 PM
Dartmouth has made it official with the addition of a woman as an offensive QC coach, making her the first such coach in D-I football. She cannot be on the field, however.

More on: http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20180911180010506417004&ref=rec&tm=&src=FCS

Bisonoline
September 11th, 2018, 09:39 PM
Dartmouth has made it official with the addition of a woman as an offensive QC coach, making her the first such coach in D-I football. She cannot be on the field, however.

More on: http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20180911180010506417004&ref=rec&tm=&src=FCS

So why isnt she allowed on the field?

Laker
September 11th, 2018, 09:41 PM

I read that she can't be on the field- but why not? Is it a numbers thing?

I coached with females in basketball and softball. Some were very good. Some were worthless. Kind of like some males that I coached with. If she can coach I'm fine with it.

bonarae
September 11th, 2018, 09:44 PM
She cannot be in games due to NCAA regulations, but she is allowed during the team's practices.

Bisonoline
September 11th, 2018, 09:50 PM
She cannot be in games due to NCAA regulations, but she is allowed during the team's practices.

What is the reg for? Certainly not just because she is a woman?

CHIP72
September 11th, 2018, 09:51 PM

I'm guessing it has to do with her being a quality control coach.

TheKingpin28
September 11th, 2018, 09:54 PM
If you can do the job, I do not care. I hate it when people get jobs, just cause they check "the right boxes" and not based off of meritocracy.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Bisonoline
September 11th, 2018, 09:55 PM
I'm guessing it has to do with her being a quality control coach.

Our quality control coach is down on the field. Could be a numbers thing.

ST_Lawson
September 11th, 2018, 10:17 PM
Limited on number of coaches on the sideline at one time?...that could be.

I know that we have plenty of times where people who are connected to the football program or who donate over a certain amount can get sideline passes (and I'm sure that's not unique to us...probably just about everyone does that), so it can't be a "no unqualified people on the sideline" kind of rule.

I have no problem whatsoever with a female coach. If she knows her stuff and the players listen to her...go for it.

Go...gate
September 11th, 2018, 10:18 PM
If you can do the job, I do not care. I hate it when people get jobs, just cause they check "the right boxes" and not based off of meritocracy.

This.

cx500d
September 11th, 2018, 10:25 PM

Lack of Ivy league education?

Go Green
September 12th, 2018, 05:24 AM
The Bills have a female quality control coach. Granted, they haven't had much onfield success since...

In any event, if she can produce, she should be retained and eventually promoted. Best of luck to her.

Winterborn
September 12th, 2018, 07:21 AM

+1

AmsterBison
September 12th, 2018, 07:46 AM
Lack of Ivy league education?

Being on the field would interfere with finals maybe.

Redbird 4th & short
September 12th, 2018, 07:52 AM
From practical standpoint, I like coaches who have played the sport. So for me, that is a critical qualifying factor that precludes most women from coaching football You wouldn't want someone teach you how to be a plumber unless they were a plumber. So sports like footbal and baseball will always be way behind the gender equality curve. But other sports, hire the most qualified person ... swimming is swimming .. gender makes zero difference.

Sycamore62
September 12th, 2018, 08:23 AM
only a specific number of coaches can be on the field. They use QC coaches as a way to have more coaches but not be "Coaches". some FCS schools have a a couple. I heard a school like Alabama will have a QC coach for every position coach, so basically every assistant has an assistant coach.

Daytripper
September 12th, 2018, 08:52 AM
If she is qualified and capable, why not?

Laker
September 12th, 2018, 10:09 AM
RedditCFB‏Verified account @RedditCFB (https://twitter.com/RedditCFB) 13m13 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/1039890347026014209)More

Special shout-out to part-time Kickers/Punters Coach, Sister Lisa Maurer who enters her 5th season coaching at #D3FB (https://twitter.com/hashtag/D3FB?src=hash)'s St. Scholastica in Duluth:

https://csssaints.com/coaches.aspx?rc=909&path=football

aust42
September 12th, 2018, 10:17 AM
I'd have a problem with a woman coach. Being a Neanderthal I would always be wondering what she looks like naked instead of listening to what she has to say.

Daytripper
September 12th, 2018, 10:56 AM
I'd have a problem with a woman coach. Being a Neanderthal I would always be wondering what she looks like naked instead of listening to what she has to say.

She's coaching football. I'm assuming that she has a body that I'm not curious about...xeyebrowx

Laker
September 12th, 2018, 11:03 AM

Kickers coach at St. Scholastica.

https://csssaints.com/images/2015/8/22/SrLisaMaurer.jpg?width=300
Dartmouth's coach.

https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/1039623812470460417/F66izRvy?format=jpg&name=600x314

aust42
September 12th, 2018, 11:12 AM
She's coaching football. I'm assuming that she has a body that I'm not curious about...xeyebrowx

Perhaps but if it's someone like Becky Hammon.......

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s---viQOVaC--/c_scale,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/etf3gcbrrzoszfxg9heg.jpg

walliver
September 12th, 2018, 11:56 AM

What if she has experience from the lingerie football league?

TheKingpin28
September 12th, 2018, 12:19 PM
Perhaps but if it's someone like Becky Hammon.......

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s---viQOVaC--/c_scale,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/etf3gcbrrzoszfxg9heg.jpg

She betrayed America. I have disdain for her. I do not care what the trolls on here say, what she did was wrong.

JSUSoutherner
September 12th, 2018, 12:25 PM

Maybe the Ball girl from Abilene got a promotion?

TheKingpin28
September 12th, 2018, 12:32 PM

https://i.giphy.com/media/3rgXBOmTlzyFCURutG/giphy.webp

PAllen
September 12th, 2018, 01:15 PM

+1

Bisonoline
September 12th, 2018, 01:22 PM
I would have some issues with a female coach who hadnt been in the trenches. The Xs and Os strategy can be learned without playing the game--look at Chuck Weiss.

grizband
September 12th, 2018, 02:09 PM
I would have some issues with a female coach who hadnt been in the trenches. The Xs and Os strategy can be learned without playing the game--look at Chuck Weiss.
Hauck is a good example of a successful head coach who never played collegiate football. Learn, become an educated student of the game, and surround yourself with knowledgeable position coaches, and it's certainly attainable.

ElCid
September 12th, 2018, 02:11 PM
Nay.

JSUBison
September 12th, 2018, 02:20 PM

Dartmouth's coach.

https://pbs.twimg.com/card_img/1039623812470460417/F66izRvy?format=jpg&name=600x314

Uff da.

RichH2
September 12th, 2018, 02:32 PM
Gender irrelevant. Competence only metric.

KUlawJack
September 12th, 2018, 02:40 PM

Coach Stig never played.

aust42
September 12th, 2018, 02:46 PM
She betrayed America. I have disdain for her. I do not care what the trolls on here say, what she did was wrong.

I was wondering what you were talking about until I googled her up. I didn't know that about her. Another reason why I wouldn't be able to play for her.

TheKingpin28
September 12th, 2018, 03:27 PM
I was wondering what you were talking about until I googled her up. I didn't know that about her. Another reason why I wouldn't be able to play for her.I've been called misogynist for those comments until the people accuse me of it, look her up, and then realize I am 100% accurate, unless they truly have blind hatred for the Greatest Nation to ever exist, The United States of America.

BEAR
September 12th, 2018, 04:19 PM

We have a winner. End the internet. xlolx

cx500d
September 12th, 2018, 04:27 PM
Coach Stig never played.

Hard to play when you are on the Joose

cx500d
September 12th, 2018, 04:27 PM

Dartmouth's coach.

Looks like the transition is well underway

Outsider1
September 12th, 2018, 04:37 PM
I've been called misogynist for those comments until the people accuse me of it, look her up, and then realize I am 100% accurate, unless they truly have blind hatred for the Greatest Nation to ever exist, The United States of America.

I have 100% love for the US, but what is wrong with going and playing for another country's team if your own country's team didn't let you play for them? Then, you get an opportunity to make A LOT more money by naturalizing yourself for that country? I still don't see anything that would make that person a traitor. Many people in this world have dual citizenship. She is back here in her home country now, still doing what she loves. It sounds like she had some really great opportunity and took advantage of it. I lived as an expat for several years and know how hard it can be. Now, if real evidence showed actual wrong doing I would say differently, but I don't see a traitor yet. As far as this thread goes, if a woman has the skills, knowledge and wisdom to coach...more power to her.

Outsider1
September 12th, 2018, 04:38 PM
We have a winner. End the internet. xlolx

I faintly remember this conversation, remind me again.

TheKingpin28
September 12th, 2018, 04:41 PM
I have 100% love for the US, but what is wrong with going and playing for another country's team if your own country's team didn't let you play for them? Then, you get an opportunity to make A LOT more money by naturalizing yourself for that country? I still don't see anything that would make that person a traitor. Many people in this world have dual citizenship. She is back here in her home country now, still doing what she loves. It sounds like she had some really great opportunity and took advantage of it. I lived as an expat for several years and know how hard it can be. Now, if real evidence showed actual wrong doing I would say differently, but I don't see a traitor yet. As far as this thread goes, if a woman has the skills, knowledge and wisdom to coach...more power to her.Not going to get into a political discussion, but to play for another country, cause you couldn't cut it for the Greatest Nation on this planet, is abhorrent to anyone with common sense. I have zero respect for people who abandon their country.

grizband
September 12th, 2018, 05:10 PM
Not going to get into a political discussion, but to play for another country, cause you couldn't cut it for the Greatest Nation on this planet, is abhorrent to anyone with common sense. I have zero respect for people who abandon their country.

Not making the United States team shouldn't preclude her for playing again.

JayJ79
September 12th, 2018, 05:21 PM

like people who get jobs just because of who their father is/was.

From practical standpoint, I like coaches who have played the sport. So for me, that is a critical qualifying factor that precludes most women from coaching football You wouldn't want someone teach you how to be a plumber unless they were a plumber. So sports like footbal and baseball will always be way behind the gender equality curve. But other sports, hire the most qualified person ... swimming is swimming .. gender makes zero difference.

I take it you also dislike when males are hired as softball coaches.

TheKingpin28
September 12th, 2018, 05:22 PM

I take it you also dislike when males are hired as softball coaches.Or women based off who their husband is? Two can play that game if you want to.

TheKingpin28
September 12th, 2018, 05:23 PM
As I stated earlier, if they are qualified, it should have no bearing. Too many people get jobs due to the "culture" of today based off of progressivism and not meritocracy. These are facts.

Redbird 4th & short
September 12th, 2018, 05:48 PM

I take it you also dislike when males are hired as softball coaches.

to be clear, I said "precludes MOST women" from football and baseball, meaning it does not preclude ALL. So of course, most of the coaching positions would be male.

But to answer your question, I'm from midwest, males play underhanded fastpitch softball too. And very few females play overhand fast ptich baseball. But yes, more females should and would naturally be coaching female dominant sports .. again, most not all.

Catbooster
September 12th, 2018, 06:28 PM
Not going to get into a political discussion, but to play for another country, cause you couldn't cut it for the Greatest Nation on this planet, is abhorrent to anyone with common sense. I have zero respect for people who abandon their country.

Because she couldn't cut it on the USA team, being a good red-blooded American, she figured she'd join the Russian team, thereby taking up a position with an inferior player. See? She was helping the USA team, not abandoning her country.

JayJ79
September 12th, 2018, 07:00 PM
There are plenty of athletes who live in the US, but have (or get) dual citizenship and play for other national teams. Are they all "traitors", or just her because it was Russia?

dbackjon
September 12th, 2018, 07:14 PM
There are plenty of athletes who live in the US, but have (or get) dual citizenship and play for other national teams. Are they all "traitors", or just her because it was Russia?

the irony is his Russia hating is monumental.

ngineer
September 12th, 2018, 07:35 PM
If she knows the game and does the job, absolutely let her do the job.

Redbird 4th & short
September 12th, 2018, 08:00 PM
But wasn't this country founded and built by a bunch of people who abandoned their country ? Not being political, just historical.

clenz
September 12th, 2018, 08:11 PM
But wasn't this country founded and built by a bunch of people who abandoned their country ? Not being political, just historical.

Meh. 48 of the 56 signers of the DoI were born in America. Two were English (Button Gwinnett, Robert Morris), two were Irish (George Taylor, Matthew Thornton), and then get have 4 that weren’t involved with England or the colonies. James Wilson John Witherspoonone were Scots, James Smith was Northern Irish, and Francis Lewis was Welsh IIRC.

Yay for my time spent as a history major with a specialty in the US Revolution coming in handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cx500d
September 12th, 2018, 08:24 PM
Meh. 48 of the 56 signers of the DoI were born in America. Two were English (Button Gwinnett, Robert Morris), two were Irish (George Taylor, Matthew Thornton), and then get have 4 that weren’t involved with England or the colonies. James Wilson John Witherspoonone were Scots, James Smith was Northern Irish, and Francis Lewis was Welsh IIRC.

Yay for my time spent as a history major with a specialty in the US Revolution coming in handy.

effing English.....I hope James Madison gives Robert Morris a beatdown...

Redbird 4th & short
September 12th, 2018, 08:26 PM

Sure but I meant the original founders, and sure they had kids, who had kids, etc ... who eventually led the revolutionary war and declaration of independence. But they were all descendents of the original founders or people who came later .. all of whom had abandoned their countries. So we're all descendants of people who abandoned their countries.

TheKingpin28
September 12th, 2018, 08:28 PM
There are plenty of athletes who live in the US, but have (or get) dual citizenship and play for other national teams. Are they all "traitors", or just her because it was Russia?If you don't want represent America, that is fine, but all respect is lost due to the fact that they did not have the grace and dignity to accept they couldn't play for their home country. She knew what she did was wrong and that is just that. It's astonishing how many people have no problem with her playing for a supposed country that a certain group on here hates only when it's convenient for them to hate them.

Bisonoline
September 12th, 2018, 08:39 PM
If you don't want represent America, that is fine, but all respect is lost due to the fact that they did not have the grace and dignity to accept they couldn't play for their home country. She knew what she did was wrong and that is just that. It's astonishing how many people have no problem with her playing for a supposed country that a certain group on here hates only when it's convenient for them to hate them.

The IOC really screwed the pooch when they first let any one participate for a foreign country if they could show lineage. If the host country will allow a foreigner to play on their teams then its them who have sold their souls. We have hundreds of Pro MBB players playing for other countries. We have m Plus we have many foreign coaches who coach our national teams and we send ours to other countries as well. I really find this to be a none issue. Its not like she was selling state secrets. She just couldnt make the team in her home country and used a loop hole to compete.

TheKingpin28
September 12th, 2018, 08:47 PM
The IOC really screwed the pooch when they first let any one participate for a foreign country if they could show lineage. If the host country will allow a foreigner to play on their teams then its them who have sold their souls. We have hundreds of Pro MBB players playing for other countries. We have m Plus we have many foreign coaches who coach our national teams and we send ours to other countries as well. I really find this to be a none issue. Its not like she was selling state secrets. She just couldnt make the team in her home country and used a loop hole to compete.The thing is, to me, she did just to play in the Olympics and for no other reason. She obtained citizenship for that purpose alone and that is disheartening. Others see it differently, but knowing why she did it is morally wrong IMO.

Bisonoline
September 12th, 2018, 08:52 PM
The thing is, to me, she did just to play in the Olympics and for no other reason. She obtained citizenship for that purpose alone and that is disheartening. Others see it differently, but knowing why she did it is morally wrong IMO.

This is not an isolated case its been going on for quite some time. You have MBB players who have done the same thing.
Another fact is she did not give up or denounce America. She kept her citizenship.

The morality of this issue left the barn along time ago because of the IOC.

Outsider1
September 12th, 2018, 08:53 PM
The IOC really screwed the pooch when they first let any one participate for a foreign country if they could show lineage. If the host country will allow a foreigner to play on their teams then its them who have sold their souls. We have hundreds of Pro MBB players playing for other countries. We have m Plus we have many foreign coaches who coach our national teams and we send ours to other countries as well. I really find this to be a none issue. Its not like she was selling state secrets. She just couldnt make the team in her home country and used a loop hole to compete.

Exactly, we are a mixed country in a mixed world and this type of thing happens all the time both ways. There is no moral argument here. This is a non-issue and this thread is about female coaches, not athletes who competed on a different team....

TheKingpin28
September 12th, 2018, 09:00 PM
This is not an isolated case its been going on for quite some time. You have MBB players who have done the same thing.
Another fact is she did not give up or denounce America. She kept her citizenship.

The morality of this issue left the barn along time ago because of the IOC.Well when it comes to the IOC, FIFA, etc... these monoliths have immense corruption and whoever has the most dollars has the most influence. Morality died damn near the day money was able to buy votes.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 12th, 2018, 09:24 PM
Female coaches as assistants?

Why not I guess. But I don't think many females play organized football. Big learning curve for females wanting to coach?

Outsider1
September 12th, 2018, 09:37 PM
Female coaches as assistants?

Why not I guess. But I don't think many females play organized football. Big learning curve for females wanting to coach?

That I would agree with. I think the approach to coaching that a female would have to take would need to be different. Most aren't going to teach and coach from a football experience perspective. That doesn't mean there aren't other successful approaches. I think it will just take the right person with the right skills. I don't think we would see that many in all reality. If the right ones come along, then all the more power to them and they deserve the shot.

clenz
September 12th, 2018, 09:59 PM
Fun fact....list of notable coaches who never played the sport....kinda blows the **** out of 4th and shorts theory that if you didn't play you can't coach. So none of these guys were NFL players. The majority didn't play in college either

Vince Lombardi
Paul Brown
Bill Walsh
Todd Haley - never played football at any level
Bill Clark
Dennis Franchione
Charlie Weis
Bobby Hauck
Paul Johnson
George O’Leary
Mike Leach
Hugh Freeze
Adam Gase
Ben McAdoo
Bill Belichick
Joe Gibbs
Jim Mora
Sonny Dykes
David Cutcliffe

In 2014 the Pittsburgh Post Gazette did an article about how the number of head coaches who played in the NFL was quickly declining - and how a number of assistants were never NFL guys either (and starting to see a growth of guys who didn't play)

In MLB, 83 percent of managers on opening day this year played in the major leagues. In the NHL, 60 percent of the head coaches reached the league and 43 percent in the NBA.
In the NFL, only 19 percent — six of 32 *— of the head coaches who will lead their teams into the 2014 season played in the league.
Playing experience has never mattered much in the NFL. It has become less important as head coaches become more like CEOs. They must be able to delegate to assistants because the job entails so much more than it once did.

Numerous factors have contributed to the trend. The game’s economics are one factor. Higher player salaries mean more players don’t have to work in retirement if they are smart with their money.

The average NFL salary in 1970 was $23,000. Today it is nearly $2 million.

Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley was the head coach of the Kansas City Chiefs for three seasons from 2009 to 2011. He attended Upper St. Clair High School, a WPIAL football powerhouse, but his fall days were spent on the golf course, not the football field along Route 19. He was a golfer in high school and college and worked as a golf professional before making the transition to football in his late 20s.
“The key is when you do take a different path you are going to start at the bottom and you’re going to build a really good foundation because you’re going to be doing all the grunt work as you work your way up,” said Mr. Haley, who started his NFL career in the New York Jets scouting department and later worked as an assistant coach for 12 years in the league before getting his opportunity to be a head coach. “It wasn’t until I actually got a coordinator spot that I thought I could be a head coach.”

“I think it just goes to show you that if you’re a good leader and you understand the game and how to manage people it doesn’t matter if you played in this league or not,” said Steelers offensive line coach Mike Munchak, a Hall of Fame player for the Houston Oilers who was the head coach of the Tennessee Titans from 2011-13. “A lot of times a good college coach knows how to assemble a good NFL staff. So maybe he won’t have the NFL experience, but he’ll have guys on his staff who did.
“But it’s become obvious you don’t have to be able to play in this league to be a great coach. When I walk into the room, I may get that instant respect because I sat in their seats. But if I can’t teach them or make them better they’ll shut me off real fast. If you have experience that’s a nice little plus, but [Maurkice] Pouncey, [David] DeCastro and [Kelvin] Beachum want a guy who will push them, prepare them, make them better on Sundays. Players buy in fast if you show them you can help them.”

MUCH MORE HERE http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/around-the-league-nfl/2014/08/24/Why-NFL-coaches-rarely-rise-from-ranks-of-players/stories/201408240108

Bisonoline
September 12th, 2018, 10:06 PM
Fun fact....list of notable coaches who never played the sport....kinda blows the **** out of 4th and shorts theory that if you didn't play you can't coach. So none of these guys were NFL players. The majority didn't play in college either

Vince Lombardi
Paul Brown
Bill Walsh
Bill Clark
Dennis Franchione
Charlie Weis
Bobby Hauck
Paul Johnson
George O’Leary
Mike Leach
Hugh Freeze
Adam Gase
Ben McAdoo
Bill Belichick
Joe Gibbs
Jim Mora
Sonny Dykes
David Cutcliffe

In 2014 the Pittsburgh Post Gazette did an article about how the number of head coaches who played in the NFL was quickly declining - and how a number of assistants were never NFL guys either (and starting to see a growth of guys who didn't play)

Vince Lombardi????? He was part of the 4 Blocks of Granite. If they missed on that one the rest of the list is very suspect. Who said they had to play in the NFL? Playing in college or HS is fine with me.

clenz
September 12th, 2018, 10:08 PM
I checked most of the list.

I didn't think to check him - I think it's that he wasn't technically never an NFL player....which does nothing to invalidate the list...technically.

Bisonoline
September 12th, 2018, 10:14 PM
I checked most of the list.

I didn't think to check him - I think it's that he wasn't technically never an NFL player....which does nothing to invalidate the list...technically.

Nobody said the NFL was a parameter. The feeling was if they didnt play can they really coach football. Playing can mean college or HS . I would never expect anyone to have NFL playing experience to be a coach.

Outsider1
September 12th, 2018, 10:28 PM
Thanks Clenz, I think your list does open that door to there being other approaches to coaching beyond experience. I can agree with Bisonoline to a large extent, but there are indeed other factors. I still think that the lack of experience and interest will affect the actual number of women that would want to coach football. It won't prevent them.

cx500d
September 12th, 2018, 10:29 PM
Vince Lombardi????? He was part of the 4 Blocks of Granite. If they missed on that one the rest of the list is very suspect. Who said they had to play in the NFL? Playing in college or HS is fine with me.

I know Mike Leach and Charlie Weis didn't play.

Bisonoline
September 12th, 2018, 10:59 PM
I know Mike Leach and Charlie Weis didn't play.

Bill Walsh and Jim Mora played college. Many played HS. One who didnt play grew up in the Browns organization and was watching game film as a youngster. No need to play when you come from that environment.

DFW HOYA
September 12th, 2018, 10:59 PM

Are you sure?

Vince Lombardi: Seven Blocks Of Granite, Fordham
Paul Brown: QB at Miami OH
Bill Walsh: TE, San Jose State
Dennis Franchione: Played at Pittsburg St. (KS)
Charlie Weis: Did not make the team at Notre Dame (but made a fortune there)
George O’Leary: We know his story...
Hugh Freeze: At 5-10 and 150 in college, too small to play at Southern Miss
Bill Belichick: TE, Wesleyan
Joe Gibbs: Played under Don Coryell at San Diego St.
Jim Mora: TE, Occidental (CA); played alongside Jack Kemp

Redbird 4th & short
September 12th, 2018, 11:03 PM

Vince Lombardi
Paul Brown
Bill Walsh
Bill Clark
Dennis Franchione
Charlie Weis
Bobby Hauck
Paul Johnson
George O’Leary
Mike Leach
Hugh Freeze
Adam Gase
Ben McAdoo
Bill Belichick
Joe Gibbs
Jim Mora
Sonny Dykes
David Cutcliffe

You really get your rocks off trolling me ... get some help dude.

But I believe the thread was about women coaches in football ... so not only did Vince Lombardi play football (I never said professional, I said played), but I'm pretty sure he is not a woman ... so you missed on your whole list on the entire point of this thread.

Other pertinent point, the thread asked people their opinions .. I offered my opinion not a "theory" right troll ?? So wtf is your point and were you playing with yourself as you typed ?

You're trying way too hard dude .. get some help.

p.s. stil very curious, how old are you ??

Redbird 4th & short
September 12th, 2018, 11:10 PM
Are you sure?

Vince Lombardi: Seven Blocks Of Granite, Fordham
Paul Brown: QB at Miami OH
Bill Walsh: TE, San Jose State
Dennis Franchione: Played at Pittsburg St. (KS)
Charlie Weis: Did not make the team at Notre Dame (but made a fortune there)
George O’Leary: We know his story...
Hugh Freeze: At 5-10 and 150 in college, too small to play at Southern Miss
Bill Belichick: TE, Wesleyan
Joe Gibbs: Played under Don Coryell at San Diego St.
Jim Mora: TE, Occidental (CA); played alongside Jack Kemp

hah .. thanks for fact check. so the troll got way ahead of himself. Not surprised at all.

good research Clenz, got most of your facts wrong and completely missed the point of thread and my opinion, not theory. Not to mention, I said most, not all. keep trying if that's what pumps your nads.

clenz
September 12th, 2018, 11:57 PM
What's the cut off for playing?

College? Does it need to be high level or does D3 count?
High school? I mean, they played so they have experience?
Junior high? There is still an understanding of what it takes to play football.

Is there a position requirement?

If a woman knows football there's no reason she can't/shouldn't coach.

Men don't play softball like women do - yet there are tons of male coaches. Few of them played softball at a "real" level.

Bisonoline
September 13th, 2018, 12:09 AM

Men don't play softball like women do - yet there are tons of male coaches. Few of them played softball at a "real" level.

I thought we already answered that? College or High school. I know some of coaches who played HS but but werent good enough to play at the next level. They still loved football so they geared their studies in that direction. I have never heard anyone ask if they had played JHS ball so I think its safe to leave that off the the list. xthumbsupx

JayJ79
September 13th, 2018, 12:11 AM
If you don't want represent America, that is fine, but all respect is lost due to the fact that they did not have the grace and dignity to accept they couldn't play for their home country. She knew what she did was wrong and that is just that. It's astonishing how many people have no problem with her playing for a supposed country that a certain group on here hates only when it's convenient for them to hate them.

Not sure who you are referring to, but it isn't me. I have absolutely no problem with Russians in general, nor with Russian basketball players. Russian hackers, and many Russian politicians, sure, but I don't think this particular individual is either one of those. She's just a basketball player/coach. And I have more problems with American hackers and politicians than I do with any Russians. But this isn't the place for such discussion. Heck, it isn't even a place for discussing basketball, or female coaches, unless they are coaching FCS teams.

JayJ79
September 13th, 2018, 12:17 AM
I just don't know why any woman would WANT to coach football, and have to deal with the overwhelming number of sexist idiots that tend to be associated with the sport. But some women like a challenge.

cx500d
September 13th, 2018, 06:09 AM
I just don't know why any woman would WANT to coach football, and have to deal with the overwhelming number of sexist idiots that tend to be associated with the sport. But some women like a challenge.

Judging from the pictures they don’t need to worry about that

Redbird 4th & short
September 13th, 2018, 07:26 AM

clenz, I made a simple observation and point in offering my opinion ... if I want to learn to be a plumber, I would rather be taught by a plumber. And I made the counter point that "swimming is swimming, gender makes zero difference". I also prefaced my specific point regarding football by saying "MOSTLY precludes women" .. as in it should not preclude all women.

BEAR
September 13th, 2018, 07:38 AM
I faintly remember this conversation, remind me again.

Can anyone dig up the ACU ball girl thread for Outsider? I can't seem to find it. xlolx

Outsider1
September 13th, 2018, 08:46 AM
Can anyone dig up the ACU ball girl thread for Outsider? I can't seem to find it. xlolx

LOL, appreciate the effort Bear xthumbsupx

clenz
September 13th, 2018, 06:38 PM
clenz, I made a simple observation and point in offering my opinion ... if I want to learn to be a plumber, I would rather be taught by a plumber. And I made the counter point that "swimming is swimming, gender makes zero difference". I also prefaced my specific point regarding football by saying "MOSTLY precludes women" .. as in it should not preclude all women.
One doesn't need to be a plumber to teach plumbing.

I worked in the HVAC/P world for years. I could teach anyone to trouble shoot their furnace, AC, water heater and repair anything that isn't refrigerant/gas line related. Even then I could get someone to trouble shoot them. It just gets too dangerous to the average home owner to repair those issues. I didn't go to school for it. I'm not a licensed tech. I was a branch manager of a wholesale house.

You're point isn't entirely wrong. It's just a very old school thought process that year after year continues to become more outdated. Experience helps - but high end experience means increasingly little than basic experience.

You're gender neutral stuff also takes a hit when looking at those other sports.

Over half the coaches in the NBA never played any kind of professional ball. Erik Spoelstra (who has multiple NBA titles as a HC) played just 1 year of college. There are 5 or 6 more, according to a May article on Becky Hammons, that played D3 and some didn't play all 4 years according to the article.

Coaching is about teaching. It's about X's and O's. It's not about being able to do it yourself. Once can learn the X and O aspect, game planning, moves, schemes, etc. with out having played.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 13th, 2018, 06:45 PM

I worked in the HVAC/P world for years. I could teach anyone to trouble shoot their furnace, AC, water heater and repair anything that isn't refrigerant/gas line related. Even then I could get someone to trouble shoot them. It just gets too dangerous to the average home owner to repair those issues. I didn't go to school for it. I'm not a licensed tech. I was a branch manager of a wholesale house.

You're point isn't entirely wrong. It's just a very old school thought process that year after year continues to become more outdated. Experience helps - but high end experience means increasingly little than basic experience.

You're gender neutral stuff also takes a hit when looking at those other sports.

Over half the coaches in the NBA never played any kind of professional ball. Erik Spoelstra (who has multiple NBA titles as a HC) played just 1 year of college. There are 5 or 6 more, according to a May article on Becky Hammons, that played D3 and some didn't play all 4 years according to the article.

Coaching is about teaching. It's about X's and O's. It's not about being able to do it yourself. Once can learn the X and O aspect, game planning, moves, schemes, etc. with out having played.

I'm going to disagree here.

I couldn't go out and teach someone how to bee a beekeeper w/o doing it or being one. I don't know how many times people have come up to me and think they know what they are doing because they read it on the internet or a book.

Reading about beekeeping or plumbing in a book doesn't make one knowledgeable. Hands on. Same with many professions IMO.

I'm not a "coach of sports" and maybe sports is different but many jobs out there could not be taught w/o that experience or knowledge of that subject.

cx500d
September 13th, 2018, 07:05 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uLI6BnVh6w

kperk014
September 13th, 2018, 09:05 PM

Therein lies the rub.

kperk014
September 13th, 2018, 09:12 PM

Most of those females (don't award people with womanhood just because they have a vagina) want to do to ALL activities for boys and men what they did to the Boy Scouts, may it rest in peace.

alvin.kmiec
September 13th, 2018, 09:37 PM
Well if she went to college to be a coach with general study in football. What would be the problem? It’s no different than a person going to college to be doctor or lawyer. If she knows her stuff and she can produce a winning team. Isn’t that what everyone wants. We all went to college to learn how to do something for a living. That’s what she did.

Go Green
September 14th, 2018, 05:16 AM
Washington Post article with some more info on her backgorund.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2018/09/13/dartmouth-hires-alexandria-native-as-first-female-division-i-college-football-coach/?utm_term=.d59e06f9b8a0

Milktruck74
September 14th, 2018, 10:14 AM
Molly McGrath was a great Head Coach Central....I heard Hayden Fox at Minnesota State was looking to bring her on as a Offensive Coordinator.....

Redbird 4th & short
September 14th, 2018, 10:57 AM

As already pointed out by me and others, I did not say "played professional", I simply said I preferred to be coached by someone who "played".

And it's not just about X's and O's, hat's only the start. It's about technique, its about knowing what it is actually like in trenches, it is about tricks of the trade., it's about have been there and done that on some level .. all of these having some bearing on how effectively the coach can develop his players.

Case in point .. suppose things aren't going as well as they should for a talented team coached by a guy who got all his knowledge from a book. So when players push back or disengage, or the assistants or AD tells the coach his ways aren't working with the players ... how would the coach respond .. "I know it works, cause I read it in a book" ? For MOST part .. there's that word MOST again .. for MOST part, coaching staffs should have a lot of people who actually played .. not ALL, but MOST.

Again, just my preference ... not old school. If this was a swimming or track forum, I would have said same thing .. swimming is swimming, hire the best qualified. Speaking of swimming, would you seriously ever want to learn to swim from someone who never actually swam ? X's an O's won't cut it.

Milktruck74
September 14th, 2018, 12:42 PM
As already pointed out by me and others, I did not say "played professional", I simply said I preferred to be coached by someone who "played".

And it's not just about X's and O's, hat's only the start. It's about technique, its about knowing what it is actually like in trenches, it is about tricks of the trade., it's about have been there and done that on some level .. all of these having some bearing on how effectively the coach can develop his players.

Case in point .. suppose things aren't going as well as they should for a talented team coached by a guy who got all his knowledge from a book. So when players push back or disengage, or the assistants or AD tells the coach his ways aren't working with the players ... how would the coach respond .. "I know it works, cause I read it in a book" ? For MOST part .. there's that word MOST again .. for MOST part, coaching staffs should have a lot of people who actually played .. not ALL, but MOST.

Again, just my preference ... not old school. If this was a swimming or track forum, I would have said same thing .. swimming is swimming, hire the best qualified. Speaking of swimming, would you seriously ever want to learn to swim from someone who never actually swam ? X's an O's won't cut it.

Food for thought.... how good do you think this dude was at balance beam?http://www.anygivensaturday.com/blob:http://www.anygivensaturday.com/3bd43198-e1f4-49ca-a219-becd4b7f4f8f

Milktruck74
September 14th, 2018, 12:46 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28799&stc=1

Redbird 4th & short
September 14th, 2018, 01:24 PM
is this like a trick sobriety test ??

- - - Updated - - -

is this like a trick sobriety test ??

kperk014
September 14th, 2018, 04:43 PM
Hard to believe so many football people thinking the most radical change in the history of football wouldn't lead to diaster. Just look around you. There are plenty of carcasses for evidence.

Go Green
September 15th, 2018, 08:18 PM
Dartmouth 41
Georgetown 0

She's off to a good start.

:)

TribeNomad1
September 16th, 2018, 05:05 PM
Why not.

William & Mary in the last couple of years hired a female AD and President. New football coach next year, so likely personnel changes in that staff.

cx500d
September 16th, 2018, 06:39 PM

Is that Mr. or Mrs Karolyi? Its hard to tell.

kperk014
September 16th, 2018, 09:57 PM
Why not.

William & Mary in the last couple of years hired a female AD and President. New football coach next year, so likely personnel changes in that staff.

Check back with us later. Her name wouldn't be donna ****layla, would it?

kperk014
September 16th, 2018, 09:58 PM
Is that Mr. or Mrs Karolyi? Its hard to tell.

Mister. Mrs has a full beard.

Go Green
September 22nd, 2018, 05:28 PM
Dartmouth has looked unbeatable since Coach Brownson joined the staff.

Go Green
September 29th, 2018, 06:57 PM
Dartmouth has looked unbeatable since Coach Brownson joined the staff.

Yet another blowout win for Big Green.

I credit Coach Brownson.

dgtw
September 30th, 2018, 07:44 AM

What if one abandons their country to marry someone who becomes the leader of their spouse’s country? Would that make them a traitor?

cx500d
September 30th, 2018, 09:00 AM
What if one abandons their country to marry someone who becomes the leader of their spouse’s country? Would that make them a traitor?

You just described the entire european royalty circa 1914

TheKingpin28
September 30th, 2018, 10:53 AM

You just described the entire european royalty circa 1914

keks were had

gsf23nd
September 30th, 2018, 11:36 AM
I'm going to disagree here.

I couldn't go out and teach someone how to bee a beekeeper w/o doing it or being one. I don't know how many times people have come up to me and think they know what they are doing because they read it on the internet or a book.

Reading about beekeeping or plumbing in a book doesn't make one knowledgeable. Hands on. Same with many professions IMO.

I'm not a "coach of sports" and maybe sports is different but many jobs out there could not be taught w/o that experience or knowledge of that subject.

I would disagree a bit there. We had an emergency situation at a high school I taught at. I coached baseball and golf and in the winter didn't coach anything. We had a situation where we lost our wrestling coach right before the season was going to start. I ended up getting tagged to take the job. I had never wrestled, but was able to pull it off. Took four kids to state my first year and the second year was able to get the team qualified for state. It was a lot of damn work, but it can be done.

Redbird 4th & short
September 30th, 2018, 01:29 PM
ok so I was watching Ryder Cup and it got me thinking about Kingpin rather aggressive position on this this female coach who decided to try out for Russian team after not being able to make US team. At first, it sounded more than a bit over the top .. and targeted by his anti-Russian bias ... a bias, I strongly share .. at least with their government. At same time, I thought .. who cares, its just sports. But then I thought about Ryder Cup. What if Tiger Woods was still struggling in his comeback and didn't make the cut. What would we think if he moved to wherever in Europe, just so he could be on their team. Pretty sure he would be strongly view that act as sour grapes and call him a traitor .. and that isn't even an adversary like Russia.

JayJ79
September 30th, 2018, 07:46 PM
ok so I was watching Ryder Cup and it got me thinking about Kingpin rather aggressive position on this this female coach who decided to try out for Russian team after not being able to make US team. At first, it sounded more than a bit over the top .. and targeted by his anti-Russian bias ... a bias, I strongly share .. at least with their government. At same time, I thought .. who cares, its just sports. But then I thought about Ryder Cup. What if Tiger Woods was still struggling in his comeback and didn't make the cut. What would we think if he moved to wherever in Europe, just so he could be on their team. Pretty sure he would be strongly view that act as sour grapes and call him a traitor .. and that isn't even an adversary like Russia.
the US probably would have fared better had he done that.

cx500d
September 30th, 2018, 09:24 PM

What would we think? Good riddance?

Go Green
October 6th, 2018, 06:49 AM
Yet another convincing Dartmouth win.

I credit Coach Brownson.

Bisonoline
October 6th, 2018, 06:56 AM

These are two different subjects entirely.

Redbird 4th & short
October 6th, 2018, 07:57 AM
These are two different subjects entirely.
I know the thread drifted from original topic of female coaches in male dominated sports to Kingpins unlrelated issue with the female coach having tried out for Russian team after failing to male US team. So i was responding to that with my Ryder Cup comparison.

So how do you mean 2 different subjects ?

Milktruck74
October 6th, 2018, 09:05 AM
Molly McGrath was a great Head Coach Central....I heard Hayden Fox at Minnesota State was looking to bring her on as a Offensive Coordinator.....

Really??? Nobody responded to this??? Who are you people? what do you people do in the offseason? Obviously you don't watch American Film (and Silver Screen) Classics!!!!

Redbird 4th & short
October 6th, 2018, 10:40 AM
Really??? Nobody responded to this??? Who are you people? what do you people do in the offseason? Obviously you don't watch American Film (and Silver Screen) Classics!!!!
I was too stunned to respond ... I thought Luther and Dauber deserved contract extensions. Now I find out the show is canceled anyway and these have been reruns all along ... thought it was starting to look familiar. It's all just very upsetting ....

xconfusedx :(

woffordgrad94
October 7th, 2018, 02:50 AM
Yay of course. If they are qualified coaches and can do their job well and help a team win games then who cares if they are male, female, transgender, or alien?

cx500d
October 7th, 2018, 03:20 PM
Yay of course. If they are qualified coaches and can do their job well and help a team win games then who cares if they are male, female, transgender, or alien?

If they are alien, they need to have a green card.

Bisonoline
October 7th, 2018, 08:46 PM
If they are alien, they need to have a green card.

If they let women coach do they still have to sweep out the locker room and make the sammies for after the game????.

cx500d
October 7th, 2018, 11:48 PM
If they let women coach do they still have to sweep out the locker room and make the sammies for after the game????.
Is that a serious question? Are you trolling? Of course they do.

Bisonoline
October 8th, 2018, 12:22 AM
Is that a serious question? Are you trolling? Of course they do.

Ok I was asking for a friend. xthumbsupx

Go Green
October 13th, 2018, 08:07 PM

I credit Coach Brownson.

cx500d
October 14th, 2018, 11:26 AM

I credit Coach Brownson.

Damn, I need to switch my Ivy Homer vote....

Go Green
October 20th, 2018, 05:34 PM

I credit Coach Brownson.

Go Green
October 27th, 2018, 04:36 PM

I credit Coach Brownson.