PDA

View Full Version : Lamar to Renovate FB Stadium - Return of LU Football?

TexasTerror
March 21st, 2007, 10:29 AM
The Texas State University System minutes from February discuss Cardinal Stadium being renovated in 2009 in addition to a softball field (for LU's new softball program). Lamar just added soccer, to start in fall 2007, but Cardinal Stadium renovations at a cost of $6.5M?

Does this mean Lamar is getting ready for some football? The rest of the renovations are news-worthy in themselves, but could Lamar be nearing football?

Facility Amount Date
Softball Field $1.2m 2009
Field house, (soccer, softball, baseball) $3.5m 2009
Cardinal Stadium Renovation $6.5m 2009
Higgens Field house Renovation $3.6m 2009
Vincent Beck Synthetic turf $0.95m 2009
Vincent Beck Renovation $5.0m 2012

http://www.tsus.edu/regents/minutes/Regular%202007%20Feb.pdf

MplsBison
March 21st, 2007, 10:51 AM
Looks like it.

Bearkatpresident
March 21st, 2007, 11:10 AM
The stadium is just a first step though. I know it's something the admin and students want to do, it's just a question of how fast they can get the funding.

With the Texas Legislature seemingly ready to pass a new "Athletic Service Fee" for the Texas State University System it's my belief that Lamar will double-dip from both thier student service fee and thier atheltic service fee in order to speed up the process. The atheltic service fee has to be voted on by students, but if it means football it should pass no problem.

TexasTerror
March 21st, 2007, 06:21 PM
The stadium is just a first step though. I know it's something the admin and students want to do, it's just a question of how fast they can get the funding.

With the Texas Legislature seemingly ready to pass a new "Athletic Service Fee" for the Texas State University System it's my belief that Lamar will double-dip from both thier student service fee and thier atheltic service fee in order to speed up the process. The atheltic service fee has to be voted on by students, but if it means football it should pass no problem.

Perhaps, this is not what we think it is. Maybe Lamar is finally going to get a track and field venue that is up to the SLC track and field standards like their big brother in Huntsville...? xreadx

McNeese75
March 21st, 2007, 09:31 PM
Sounds like a soccer field update to me. :)

TexasTerror
March 21st, 2007, 09:32 PM
Sounds like a soccer field update to me. :)

Maybe so! xlolx

Lamar is going to have a pretty good soccer squad...xthumbsupx

Keeper
March 22nd, 2007, 01:44 AM
This except from Lamar's Campus Master Plan 4/25/05:

Possible New Building Needs:
Cafeteria
Dormitory
Visitors Center
Administration Facilty
Physical Plant
Academic and Faculty Office Building
Performance Hall
Football Fieldhouse xthumbsupx
Sports Fields Support Building
Softball Stadium
Basketball Practice Facility

plans also include demolition of the old football fieldhouse.
Any updates on that?

Mr. C
March 22nd, 2007, 07:59 AM
The rumblings have been there for awhile that Lamar is going to restart its football program. This pretty much confirms it.

TexasTerror
March 22nd, 2007, 08:06 AM
The rumblings have been there for awhile that Lamar is going to restart its football program. This pretty much confirms it.

Not sure of that, just yet...I think we got to wait for an announcement first about the return of football and softball (SHSU has a former Lamar standout in softball as their assistant coach in that spot).

Lamar fan base says the announcement should come this Spring. After this information has hit the 'Net and fans are clamoring for an announcement, perhaps it'll come sooner than later?

TexasTerror
March 22nd, 2007, 09:28 AM
From a Lamar fan and admin of the Lamar board...

What you have read is a legislative move by Lamar in order to lay the preleminary ground work with the state. Lamar will have to raise millions on their own in order to support the facility upgrades. Lamar is positioning themselves and is awaiting other state funding prior to announcing that football is coming back. This is another case in point about jumping the gun. While you might win the race, you can't jump out of the gate to quick. Sorry folks, back to the starting line!!!

...When Lamar is ready, a press conference will follow...

Bearkatpresident
March 22nd, 2007, 10:24 AM
Actaully, the TSUS atheltic fee was an idea by Texas State - San Marcos' ASG to try and move up to FBS. Of course, you won't find that silly talk in the bill anaylisis, but that's what it is. From what I understand, if the AD doesn't take steps to move up the students on the committee will vote to cut funding.

TexasTerror
March 22nd, 2007, 11:27 AM
Actaully, the TSUS atheltic fee was an idea by Texas State - San Marcos' ASG to try and move up to FBS. Of course, you won't find that silly talk in the bill anaylisis, but that's what it is. From what I understand, if the AD doesn't take steps to move up the students on the committee will vote to cut funding.

In the student body elections in San Marcos, they are campaigning on taking the team to I-A...

Interesting how that and everything around it (athletic facility upgrades and more student support) are what the big debate points are in San Marcos...

McNeese75
March 22nd, 2007, 03:35 PM
In the student body elections in San Marcos, they are campaigning on taking the team to I-A...

Interesting how that and everything around it (athletic facility upgrades and more student support) are what the big debate points are in San Marcos...

Cat fans are just so obsessed with getting out of the UT shadow, the move to the FBS seems to be more important that success on the field. xrotatehx

Bearkatpresident
March 22nd, 2007, 05:17 PM
At least they arn't campaigning for flagship like in previous years. That did cause a bit of a trouble when all the TSUS schools got together.

We get along fine now, but I think they're crazy for wanting to go FBS. I'm not suprised they want to have that as their main goal, it is a good way to get votes. (considering that the odds are pretty long that it would ever happen in that period, but considering that most SBPs only serve one term, it's not like there's a penalty for running on things you can't deliver)

Whatever works for them.

TexasTerror
March 22nd, 2007, 05:27 PM
Agreed, BKPresident...

Going FBS is a major undertaking. I do not think the individuals running in ASG have any clue what they are barking, but instead are riding the waves of the hot button subject...

Typical...

Mr. C
March 22nd, 2007, 11:04 PM
It would be a HUGE mistake for Texas State to move to FBS, kind of like Cal State Fullerton trying to compete with UCLA and USC. Texas is too close for there ever to be that much interest in Texas State as an FBS team.

I can't see Lamar having the financial resources for FBS. Dumb talk.

Bearkatpresident
March 22nd, 2007, 11:09 PM
You've got to question the motivation though. Perhaps some Cats can come out and explain what the real reason behind the desire to move is?

slycat
March 22nd, 2007, 11:37 PM
You've got to question the motivation though. Perhaps some Cats can come out and explain what the real reason behind the desire to move is?

i can see both sides of staying FCS or going BCS. on the one hand being in BCS gives more national exposure then FCS and some people, not me, think thats its important to attend a school thats in the BCS. However staying in the FCS allows us not to lose as much money if our team isnt as good. look at UNT, SMU, or Rice and the problems they have. People in Texas dont understand FCS because here they want everything bigger and better and to them that is BCS.

For now im happy to stay FCS. the playoff system is more fun. it would be interesting though to see if a move to BCS would get us a little more out of UTs shadow. the media always lumps FCS as unequal to BCS.

i think the ASG should focus more on getting funds for a new baseball/softball complex, a videoboard for football, maybe a football stadium upgrade by removing the track, and getting more funding for research and education. in the end the education you get at a school is more important then what level the football team plays at.

slycat
March 22nd, 2007, 11:44 PM
oh and also if for some reason we move up it better not be to the sun belt. thats pointless.

Bearkatpresident
March 22nd, 2007, 11:49 PM
So lets see.....

ASG pushes the name change because they're embarrased by the Southwest Texas moniker and they feel they 'deserve more' (granted, before the current admin's time)

ASG pushes flagship because they've got this new name that nobody knows about and feel they 'deserve more' (again, before the current admin's time)

and now

ASG pushes FBS because there in the shadow of UT and 'deserve more'

Is that about it?

Not to try and trash their motives are say that they're wrong for doing it. I'm a student of public admin and I'm curious as to the organazation culture there. [And there goes my cover, now everyone knows I'm a poli sci geek]

slycat
March 22nd, 2007, 11:54 PM
So lets see.....

ASG pushes the name change because they're embarrased by the Southwest Texas moniker and they feel they 'deserve more' (granted, before the current admin's time)

ASG pushes flagship because they've got this new name that nobody knows about and feel they 'deserve more' (again, before the current admin's time)

and now

ASG pushes FBS because there in the shadow of UT and 'deserve more'

Is that about it?

Not to try and trash their motives are say that they're wrong for doing it. I'm a student of public admin and I'm curious as to the organazation culture there. [And there goes my cover, now everyone knows I'm a poli sci geek]

the name change was a smart move and needed.

the push for flagship i dont have a problem with. however will never happen since shsu wont let it and that makes sense because it would hurt them. that being said i could care less about this for now.

and people in texas just want BCS football. ive talked to friends at SHSU that feel the same way and want to move up. so its not just Texas St. there are also people there that wanted the name change and flagship. same story different schools. our ASG just pushes it more.

Bearkatpresident
March 23rd, 2007, 12:01 AM
No name change desires at Sam, right now we're in a fight to pass legislation to permenatly protect the name.

Flagship is a dead issue it seems. If anything the system office is trying to control everything.

But this is getting off-topic. From what I understand, the TSU-SM ASG got this pushed to the Board of Regents through Dr. Trauth and it had just been for TSU-SM. Then Lamar saw it and wanted to jump on board, and so all the schools are getting the ability to pass an athletic fee

slycat
March 23rd, 2007, 12:08 AM
No name change desires at Sam, right now we're in a fight to pass legislation to permenatly protect the name.

Flagship is a dead issue it seems. If anything the system office is trying to control everything.

But this is getting off-topic. From what I understand, the TSU-SM ASG got this pushed to the Board of Regents through Dr. Trauth and it had just been for TSU-SM. Then Lamar saw it and wanted to jump on board, and so all the schools are getting the ability to pass an athletic fee

i know that but before some students and alum wanted the name to change. TT just posted something about an alums point of view.

anyway the students fees is a good way to get extra funding. Texas St is cheaper as it is and its not like a slight increase in fees will turn students away.

Mr. C
March 23rd, 2007, 12:20 AM
i can see both sides of staying FCS or going BCS. on the one hand being in BCS gives more national exposure then FCS and some people, not me, think thats its important to attend a school thats in the BCS. However staying in the FCS allows us not to lose as much money if our team isnt as good. look at UNT, SMU, or Rice and the problems they have. People in Texas dont understand FCS because here they want everything bigger and better and to them that is BCS.

For now im happy to stay FCS. the playoff system is more fun. it would be interesting though to see if a move to BCS would get us a little more out of UTs shadow. the media always lumps FCS as unequal to BCS.

i think the ASG should focus more on getting funds for a new baseball/softball complex, a videoboard for football, maybe a football stadium upgrade by removing the track, and getting more funding for research and education. in the end the education you get at a school is more important then what level the football team plays at.

oh and also if for some reason we move up it better not be to the sun belt. thats pointless.

First off, there NO chance that Texas State is going BCS. I don't think the Big 12 is going to be knocking on your door. The term is FBS. BCS schools compete for that big crystal trophy at the end of the season. Secondly, where would you end up, but the Sun Belt? I don't see any interest from the WAC or Mountain West in a newvy like Texas State and Conference USA isn't going to be interested either, so the Sun Belt is about the ONLY place you could land. Hopefully, the Bobcats will make the right decision and stay at FCS.

slycat
March 23rd, 2007, 12:24 AM
First off, there NO chance that Texas State is going BCS. I don't think the Big 12 is going to be knocking on your door. The term is FBS. BCS schools compete for that big crystal trophy at the end of the season. Secondly, where would you end up, but the Sun Belt? I don't see any interest from the WAC or Mountain West in a newvy like Texas State and Conference USA isn't going to be interested either, so the Sun Belt is about the ONLY place you could land. Hopefully, the Bobcats will make the right decision and stay at FCS.
i meant FBS. its been a long day. anyway like i said i hope we dont move up anytime soon. i would never expect the big 12 to take us. maybe cusa but thats a long shot. to me nothing is worse the the sun belt so FCS is my home. sites like this got me into the FCS.

TexasTerror
March 23rd, 2007, 06:03 AM
The folks in San Marcos announced a planned move to what was then I-A a few years ago. Ask around, someone has posted the copy of it from what I believe was a media guide...

The facilities need upgrades. SFA (once they get Bo Pilgrim Park up and running) and SHSU are head and shoulders above the folks west on the river when it comes to facilities. There's no chance TXST can even talk about a move to FBS until they upgrade their baseball/softball facilities and that's without talking about doing anything to their football program...

There's too much work to be done in San Marcos. It's five to ten years away and by that point, the landscape of college athletics is going to be different by a mile...will it be too late?

TexasTerror
March 25th, 2007, 08:31 AM
From Bob West of the Port Arthur News...

The ball is definitely rolling toward Lamar University bringing back football. In its meetings last week, the Texas State University System approved expenditures for 2009 of $6.5 million for Cardinal Stadium renovation and $3.6 million for the renovation of the J.B. Higgins Fieldhouse. LU president Jimmy Simmons said restarting football is still contingent on the university raising enough in donations and pledges to cover additional costs that could be in the $10 million range. The TSUS funds can be used only in conjunction with Lamar playing football

http://www.panews.com/sportsbobwest/local_story_083201958.html

TexasTerror
April 5th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Latest from Lamar Fans Board...

I had a conversation with a man who is very high in the administrative department at Lamar. He said LU already has the money to start a football program but they want to raise more money due to the fact when LU dropped football the program was losing $500,000 a year.

I understand his and others concerns with football. Will SE Texas, the students, alumni, fans support it? I'll put it this way, the Texas Wildcatters could not get 500 people to attend their games a few years ago. Ice hockey isn't exactly football in this area but now that they are winning they are getting 3 to 4 thousand in Ford Arena.

We shall see...

TexasTerror
April 19th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Latest article on LU football...this article would lead one to believe that no announcement could come before the end of the TX legislative session...

Room for improvement
By PERRYN KEYS, The Enterprise
04/15/2007
Updated 04/15/2007 11:02:36 PM CDT

BEAUMONT - Take a long, hard stare at that grassy field between Vincent-Beck Stadium and U.S. 69, and you might see a vision.

If it's anything like the long-term vision shared by some officials at Lamar University, it might include plans for a softball complex and a soccer stadium.

Take another long look at Cardinal Stadium, worn down by time and weather, and you might see another vision. It might include a repaired and improved football facility.

The bad news, for Lamar sports fans, is that none of this will happen tomorrow - if it happens at all. The good news is that it might, at long last, happen.

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18212337&BRD=2287&PAG=461&dept_id=583964&rfi=6