PDA

View Full Version : 2018-09/15 AGS GOTW Week 3

Preferred Walk-On
September 10th, 2018, 09:35 PM
Have not seen any threads like this so far this year, but have enjoyed the poll and banter in the past, so thought I'd start one. I know Ursus has often been the initiator of this in the past, so I will defer future GOTW threads to him.

Some interesting FCS-FBS matchups (perhaps someone will start a thread/poll for these), but I have limited this to FCS only.

San Diego @ Harvard - Battle of non-schollies. Furthest distance between two teams in FCS this year?

Colgate @ Furman - One team was a preseason AGS Top 20, the other is 2-0.

Montana @ Western Illinois - Big Sky team movin' up the charts (at least according to the AGS poll) vs. Missouri Valley team searchin' for an identity (and a ranking?).

Nicholls @ McNeese State - Battle for the Southland...for now.

Charleston Southern @ Citadel - Battle for Charleston...period.

South Dakota @ Weber State - Another Big Sky vs. Missouri Valley matchup...given the first two weeks, arguably the most even matchup of this series (or at the very least, a very intriguing matchup).

North Dakota @ Sam Houston State - SHSU trying their luck against the other North Dakota team.

TheKingpin28
September 10th, 2018, 09:57 PM
2 legit GOTW options in NSU vs McNeese and USeD vs WSU but GFCC vs SHSU will give us insight as to whether SHSU is their usual paper tiger self or if GFCC is still enjoying being a dumpster fire in the FCS.

wapiti
September 11th, 2018, 09:25 AM
There are several good ones this week.

VictoryViking
September 11th, 2018, 04:27 PM
Please add Samford and Wofford to your next poll.

JSUSoutherner
September 11th, 2018, 05:05 PM
I would have voted for CSU and El Cid, but Florence.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 11th, 2018, 05:07 PM
South Dakota at Weber State gets my vote.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 11th, 2018, 05:29 PM
Have not seen any threads like this so far this year, but have enjoyed the poll and banter in the past, so thought I'd start one. I know Ursus has often been the initiator of this in the past, so I will defer future GOTW threads to him.

Some interesting FCS-FBS matchups (perhaps someone will start a thread/poll for these), but I have limited this to FCS only.

San Diego @ Harvard - Battle of non-schollies. Furthest distance between two teams in FCS this year?

Colgate @ Furman - One team was a preseason AGS Top 20, the other is 2-0.

Montana @ Western Illinois - Big Sky team movin' up the charts (at least according to the AGS poll) vs. Missouri Valley team searchin' for an identity (and a ranking?).

Nicholls @ McNeese State - Battle for the Southland...for now.

Charleston Southern @ Citadel - Battle for Charleston...period.

South Dakota @ Weber State - Another Big Sky vs. Missouri Valley matchup...given the first two weeks, arguably the most even matchup of this series (or at the very least, a very intriguing matchup).

North Dakota @ Sam Houston State - SHSU trying their luck against the other North Dakota team.

No sir, I will give you some tips on this but I specifically sat back to watch and see if someone would pick up the job that I just don't have time to do and I thank you very much for doing so. If you can do it going forward then all the better.

Nice work man. Rep coming your way for stepping in the fray.

grizband
September 11th, 2018, 05:32 PM
No sir, I will give you some tips on this but I specifically sat back to watch and see if someone would pick up the job that I just don't have time to do and I thank you very much for doing so. If you can do it going forward then all the better.

Glad this continuing! I had thought of the same, and sent him a pm offering to help out moving forward!

Daytripper
September 11th, 2018, 05:52 PM
2 legit GOTW options in NSU vs McNeese and USeD vs WSU but GFCC vs SHSU will give us insight as to whether SHSU is their usual paper tiger self or if GFCC is still enjoying being a dumpster fire in the FCS.

God, you are a broken record.

cx500d
September 11th, 2018, 05:55 PM

Isn't there a 3rd option? GFCC is actually somewhat decent?

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 11th, 2018, 06:46 PM
God, you are a broken record.

The last few years, Sammy is a paper tiger.

Preferred Walk-On
September 11th, 2018, 06:56 PM
I would have voted for CSU and El Cid, but Florence.

Would have/will be a good game. My thoughts are with everyone on the east coast, and I am hoping that the storm has much less impact than currently predicted. Please stay safe out there.

Preferred Walk-On
September 11th, 2018, 06:58 PM
Please add Samford and Wofford to your next poll.

Will definitely be keeping track of them. Did not add FCS-FBS games this week (hence no Wofford). Looks like Wofford may be a few weeks out still, but looking forward Samford @ Kennesaw State at the end of the month.

TheKingpin28
September 11th, 2018, 07:00 PM
God, you are a broken record.You don't appreciate the brutal honesty? I thought we finally found common ground and then you retort to your usual self. You wonder why SHSU gets trashed on here, don't bother looking in the mirror, you'd hate what you see.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

TheKingpin28
September 11th, 2018, 07:01 PM
The last few years, Sammy is a paper tiger.Don't even try. He can't stand the fact that people call out the bull**** for what it is.

Preferred Walk-On

I am happy to set up this thread for the remainder of the season (provided everyone can put up with a few mistakes here or there). It will likely be up on Sunday evenings. Plus, I learned how to set up a poll...so there's that.

TheKingpin28
Isn't there a 3rd option? GFCC is actually somewhat decent?When have I ever been wrong? xlolx

inb4thumperbringsupmygambling

Preferred Walk-On
September 11th, 2018, 07:02 PM
Glad this continuing! I had thought of the same, and sent him a pm offering to help out moving forward!

Thanks for the message. I don't check them much, but I will do so going forward. I appreciate (and will take you up) on the offer.

Bisonoline
September 11th, 2018, 07:03 PM
I am happy to set up this thread for the remainder of the season (provided everyone can put up with a few mistakes here or there). It will likely be up on Sunday evenings. Plus, I learned how to set up a poll...so there's that.

Thanks for taking the lead on this! I am sure Ursus appreciates it.

Preferred Walk-On
September 11th, 2018, 07:04 PM
I may have missed this, but I am curious what game(s) the "other" two votes were for.

grizband
September 11th, 2018, 07:29 PM
I may have missed this, but I am curious what game(s) the "other" two votes were for.
Usually people are encouraged to post their choice, if they vote for "other." I would also be curious to know people's thoughts.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the message. I don't check them much, but I will do so going forward. I appreciate (and will take you up) on the offer.
Willing to help as much or as little as you want! Although I don't post much, I've been a lurker here for years! haha

Derby City Duke
September 11th, 2018, 07:44 PM
I picked Weber-South Dakota. Two teams with big question marks coming into the season: USD w/o Streveler and Weber losing some offensive weapons and a new QB as well. Want to see how stout the WSU defense is this year.

grizband
September 11th, 2018, 07:47 PM
I picked Nicholls State vs McNeese State, in an early season matchup of top 25 teams.

Daytripper
September 11th, 2018, 07:49 PM
You don't appreciate the brutal honesty? I thought we finally found common ground and then you retort to your usual self. You wonder why SHSU gets trashed on here, don't bother looking in the mirror, you'd hate what you see.

We've won the second most games in FCS in the past 7 years. If we're paper tigers, what are everybody else? Oh, right, because you're NDSU, you get to dictate the labeling of everybody else. Got it.

And if you read threads instead of instinctively trolling them, you would see that most Sam fans admit to our failure in the last game of the season. But, you would rather troll.

Preferred Walk-On
September 11th, 2018, 08:24 PM
We've won the second most games in FCS in the past 7 years. If we're paper tigers, what are everybody else? Oh, right, because you're NDSU, you get to dictate the labeling of everybody else. Got it.

And if you read threads instead of instinctively trolling them, you would see that most Sam fans admit to our failure in the last game of the season. But, you would rather troll.

NDSU fan here. Not only has Sam Houston State won the second most games in the past 7 yr, but I also just wanted to point out that since 2011 (the last 7 yr), SHSU has lost to the eventual national champion in the playoffs 5 times and the runner-up once. Only one time (2013) did they lose to a team that did not make the championship game in that span (and that was in the quarterfinals). Granted, most of those losses were not very close in score, but there is something to be said for SHSU for making it to those games, especially in 2014 (which I thought this was an impressive run for them). Beyond NDSU, I am not sure I can think of another team (at least recently) that has had that kind of run (it might be fun to have a thread where each teams best consecutive 7 yr run ever is noted, just to put SHSU's into context). We can argue conference, style of play, etc, but you still have to play the games and win at a high rate to make the championship twice, semifinals five times, and quarterfinals twice in that span. I thought that SHSU vs. UND warranted potential GOTW consideration, as both teams are intriguing this year...it is unclear exactly what each team will be and where they will end up, and this game is a nice early litmus test to assist in making that determination. Best of luck to both teams (yes, I said that as a lifelong NDSU fan).

- - - Updated - - -

I picked Nicholls State vs McNeese State, in an early season matchup of top 25 teams.

As did I.

Daytripper
September 11th, 2018, 08:29 PM
NDSU fan here. Not only has Sam Houston State won the second most games in the past 7 yr, but I also just wanted to point out that since 2011 (the last 7 yr), SHSU has lost to the eventual national champion in the playoffs 5 times and the runner-up once. Only one time (2013) did they lose to a team that did not make the championship game in that span (and that was in the quarterfinals). Granted, most of those losses were not very close in score, but there is something to be said for SHSU for making it to those games, especially in 2014 (which I thought this was an impressive run for them). Beyond NDSU, I am not sure I can think of another team (at least recently) that has had that kind of run (it might be fun to have a thread where each teams best consecutive 7 yr run ever is noted, just to put SHSU's into context). We can argue conference, style of play, etc, but you still have to play the games and win at a high rate to make the championship twice, semifinals five times, and quarterfinals twice in that span. I thought that SHSU vs. UND warranted potential GOTW consideration, as both teams are intriguing this year...it is unclear exactly what each team will be and where they will end up, and this game is a nice early litmus test to assist in making that determination. Best of luck to both teams (yes, I said that as a lifelong NDSU fan).

- - - Updated - - -

As did I.

Thank you. I appreciate your objectivity. It's a rare thing among Bison.

TheKingpin28
September 11th, 2018, 08:33 PM

And if you read threads instead of instinctively trolling them, you would see that most Sam fans admit to our failure in the last game of the season. But, you would rather troll.Keep pushing whatever narrative will float your boat. If you didn't completely bow out in the playoffs, that would be helpful. So since I'm an NDSU fan, I get to label? I am one of the harshest fans of NDSU and avoid Bisonville for that reason alone. He'll, I've been called a fair weather fan for not blindly following and backing the team at every aspect. You can throw out any stats you'd like, but we all can see through your ****. I've noticed all other Sam fans that I've met and interacted with, they are enjoyable and not so damn bratty, you on the other hand are the antithesis of what I have experienced.

Also, I am anything but a troll. Trolls are ugly and witty, I'm a charming good looking guy that is at the average height. If you are going accuse, make sure you get your facts in line, something your D-Line has yet to figure out how to do.

Serpentor
September 11th, 2018, 08:34 PM
You don't appreciate the brutal honesty? I thought we finally found common ground and then you retort to your usual self. You wonder why SHSU gets trashed on here, don't bother looking in the mirror, you'd hate what you see.

Because the FBS Sandbaggers have the biggest a-hole fans in the FCS? That's why we get trashed in here.

TheKingpin28
September 11th, 2018, 08:35 PM
Thank you. I appreciate your objectivity. It's a rare thing among Bison.As I said, you do not want to look in the mirror, you'd hate what you see. You are making some of the Decembrists of past seem reasonable and tolerable.

POD Knows
September 11th, 2018, 08:40 PM
Isn't there a 3rd option? GFCC is actually somewhat decent?UND's football team is decent, the college is a dumpster fire.

Daytripper
September 11th, 2018, 08:52 PM
As I said, you do not want to look in the mirror, you'd hate what you see. You are making some of the Decembrists of past seem reasonable and tolerable.

Not sure what you are eluding to. I don't troll NDSU. I don't troll anybody...well, except maybe SFA, but that's genetic. You are projecting like your hero. Accusing others of doing that which you are guilty.

Daytripper
September 11th, 2018, 08:57 PM
Keep pushing whatever narrative will float your boat. If you didn't completely bow out in the playoffs, that would be helpful. So since I'm an NDSU fan, I get to label? I am one of the harshest fans of NDSU and avoid Bisonville for that reason alone. He'll, I've been called a fair weather fan for not blindly following and backing the team at every aspect. You can throw out any stats you'd like, but we all can see through your ****. I've noticed all other Sam fans that I've met and interacted with, they are enjoyable and not so damn bratty, you on the other hand are the antithesis of what I have experienced.

Also, I am anything but a troll. Trolls are ugly and witty, I'm a charming good looking guy that is at the average height. If you are going accuse, make sure you get your facts in line, something your D-Line has yet to figure out how to do.

You make no sense. Every team except one bows out in the playoffs. Yet SHSU gets targeted for special ridicule even though we are usually one of the last ones. Are you simply too ignorant to understand how ridiculous your argument is.....??

Serpentor
September 11th, 2018, 09:23 PM
You make no sense. Every team except one bows out in the playoffs. Yet SHSU gets targeted for special ridicule even though we are usually one of the last ones. Are you simply too ignorant to understand how ridiculous your argument is.....??

I don't understand this shame aspect to college sports. These are young kids playing this game, in their late teens and early 20s. A middle aged man wants to be smug online because 20 year olds failed against a superior team playing on their home field? What does he want you to do, denounce Sam Houston because they didn't win a football game? If SHSU can't win a championship, it doesn't deserve to have any fans?

TheKingpin28
September 11th, 2018, 09:26 PM
Not sure what you are eluding to. I don't troll NDSU. I don't troll anybody...well, except maybe SFA, but that's genetic. You are projecting like your hero. Accusing others of doing that which you are guilty.And who is my hero again? Please do tell the world. I'd love to know.

TheKingpin28
September 11th, 2018, 09:27 PM
I don't understand this shame aspect to college sports. These are young kids playing this game, in their late teens and early 20s. A middle aged man wants to be smug online because 20 year olds failed against a superior team playing on their home field? What does he want you to do, denounce Sam Houston because they didn't win a football game? If SHSU can't win a championship, it doesn't deserve to have any fans?Btw, I'm 26. Nowhere near middle-aged but I have found a few grey hairs if that counts.

Serpentor
September 11th, 2018, 09:28 PM
Btw, I'm 26. Nowhere near middle-aged but I have found a few grey hairs if that counts.

I'm starting to get a Tony Sirico on my sides myself. I hope it looks cool in 10 years...

TheKingpin28
September 11th, 2018, 09:29 PM
You make no sense. Every team except one bows out in the playoffs. Yet SHSU gets targeted for special ridicule even though we are usually one of the last ones. Are you simply too ignorant to understand how ridiculous your argument is.....??Every year, your fan base makes outrageous claims and then when you get your **** kicked in, they run and hide. I have a spreadsheet of stats to prove it if you want.

TheKingpin28
September 11th, 2018, 09:29 PM
I'm starting to get a Tony Sirico on my sides myself. I hope it looks cool in 10 years...Ask POD, he has a Sebring he'd like to sell. xlolx

cx500d
September 11th, 2018, 09:55 PM
Ask POD, he has a Sebring he'd like to sell. xlolx

anybody with a sebring has one they'd like to sell

BisonTru
September 11th, 2018, 10:09 PM
Every year, your fan base makes outrageous claims and then when you get your **** kicked in, they run and hide. I have a spreadsheet of stats to prove it if you want.

I've been very critical of Sammy fans and ducking when they get exposed, but give some credit here, DT, Serp, and Sammy94 are here year in year out and they will all come back after a beatdown. Nickels is usually pretty good too, but he's been absent for a while. I have feeling he's going to owe be a c-note come November tho.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 11th, 2018, 10:51 PM

If you put in an FBS vs. FCS game I'm gonna bitch about it. This is AGS after all and that stands for FCS. xlolx

I am quite the sloganeer.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 11th, 2018, 11:05 PM
I've been very critical of Sammy fans and ducking when they get exposed, but give some credit here, DT, Serp, and Sammy94 are here year in year out and they will all come back after a beatdown. Nickels is usually pretty good too, but he's been absent for a while. I have feeling he's going to owe be a c-note come November tho.

I agree fully with this.

MR. CHICKEN
September 12th, 2018, 07:47 AM
Every year, your fan base makes outrageous claims and then when you get your **** kicked in, they run and hide. I have a spreadsheet of stats to prove it if you want.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28761&stc=1..........................................ISN 'T DAT......STALKIN'......xconfusedxxeekxxconfusedx.. .........BRAWK!!!

Katfan
September 12th, 2018, 07:56 AM

- - - Updated - - -

As did I.
Wow! There is intelligent life in North Dakota or a fellow Sam fan is posing as a NDSU fan!

i picked McNeese vs Nichols!

MR. CHICKEN
September 12th, 2018, 08:07 AM
......WHAA...NO DEFENSE......IN HUNTSVILLE....xconfusedx.......................... xcoolx...HAD [email protected]!

F'N Hawks
September 12th, 2018, 08:11 AM
The last few years, Sammy is a paper tiger.
They seem to be able to beat everybody but the top two teams in the country each year. So that means everyone's a paper tiger, basically.

Katfan
September 12th, 2018, 08:31 AM
......WHAA...NO DEFENSE......IN HUNTSVILLE....xconfusedx.......................... xcoolx...HAD [email protected]!
That’s what gets me! I really thought he would have great Defenses. Oh well!