PDA

View Full Version : SavSt Suspends Eight, Cancels Spring Game

TexasTerror
March 21st, 2007, 07:21 AM
Theo Lemon has "laid down the law" as the article states in the opening stanza. What a mess. Eight players suspended, six of whom are starters for the spring practice and Lemon has said not all of them will be invited in for summer conditioning. This program is not going anywhere fast and being independent does nothing for them...

SSU suspends eight, cancels spring game
Noell Barnidge | Wednesday, March 21, 2007 at 12:30 am

Head coach Theo Lemon lays down the law for Tigers

Savannah State football coach Theo Lemon on Tuesday suspended eight players, including six starters, for the remainder of spring practice for "violating team policy."

As a result, Lemon said SSU has canceled its annual orange and blue spring game, which was scheduled for March 31.

The suspended starters are linebacker Trent Newton, safety Antwan Allen, tailback Quinton Beasley, wide receiver Anthony Huntley, punt returner Del Ben and right tackle Byron Allen.

The suspended reserves are free safety Larrione Carlyle and running back Reginald May.

Lemon said only a few of the suspended players will be invited to participate in summer conditioning.

http://savannahnow.com/node/246396

CSU BUCS
March 21st, 2007, 07:28 AM
"43 players participated when the Tigers began spring practice March 3"

Wowxeekx

Kill'em
March 21st, 2007, 07:31 AM
Savannah St keeps taking steps backward. At least Coach Lemon is doing the right thing. The article also says many will not be invited back.

TexasTerror
March 21st, 2007, 07:32 AM
"43 players participated when the Tigers began spring practice March 3"

They already had 11 players who quit after last season...

"SSU entered spring drills having to replace 17 players, including four starters from last season's 2-9 team. Eleven players were underclassmen who quit after last season."

CSU BUCS
March 21st, 2007, 07:38 AM
He needs to just kick them all off, clean the slate, and start new. That's pretty much what Jay Mills did at Charleston Southern.............. we went 1-11 that first season but it paid off in the long run.

AppGuy04
March 21st, 2007, 07:47 AM
I commend him!!

Kill'em
March 21st, 2007, 08:00 AM
I think if Coach Lemon sticks to his guns, the kids will respect him more, hence, they will be a better team in the long run. They will know what to expect from Coach.

Col Hogan
March 21st, 2007, 08:25 AM
Sounds like Savannah State has a coach who combines discipline with motivation...generally a recipe for success. I hope he succeeds, and it sounds like he's winning over most of the current crop of players. That will establish a sound base for the incoming freshmen and transfers.

appfan2008
March 21st, 2007, 08:47 AM
Good for the coach, but i didnt think that program could take any more steps backwards!
it really is too bad and something down there needs to drastically change

NoCoDanny
March 21st, 2007, 09:09 AM
I like Savannah State, makes me feel better about how bad we've become.

JDC325
March 21st, 2007, 12:43 PM
It is not like I ever want Sav St do well but jeez that is one bad program. The president and AD need to get there acts together.

PaladinFan
March 21st, 2007, 05:27 PM
Savannah St keeps taking steps backward. At least Coach Lemon is doing the right thing. The article also says many will not be invited back.

actually, I see this as a step forward.

Libertine
March 22nd, 2007, 09:57 AM
I'm not sure that SSU has an AD right now. The guy listed on the athletic dept. website resigned back in December.

MplsBison
March 22nd, 2007, 11:00 AM
Is the way this athletic department is run in any way indicative of the way the school is run?

Is Sav State a decent school that students in GA want to go to get a degree?

gr8ness97
March 22nd, 2007, 11:59 AM
They have decent academic schools from what i hear, so the answer is yes...

bigbluetiger
March 22nd, 2007, 02:01 PM
Shannon Sharpe is an Alum.

BEAR
March 22nd, 2007, 03:04 PM
Well, the good news is when you hit rock bottom..there's only one way to go....up. Let's hope things turn around for Sav. State. xnodx

Cap'n Cat
March 22nd, 2007, 07:11 PM
The suspended starters are linebacker Trent Newton, safety Antwan Allen, tailback Quinton Beasley, wide receiver Anthony Huntley, punt returner Del Ben and right tackle Byron Allen.

The suspended reserves are free safety Larrione Carlyle and running back Reginald May.[/i]

Such a shame. Here is a pic of Larrione, Antwan, Quinton, Trent and Reggie at a Savannah State U Men's Glee Club event just two months ago.

http://www.seoulselection.com/news_letter/issue/year_2006/0107/image/vienaboyschoir.jpg

xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

GeauxColonels
March 22nd, 2007, 10:30 PM
Such a shame. Here is a pic of Larrione, Antwan, Quinton, Trent and Reggie at a Savannah State U Men's Glee Club event just two months ago.

http://www.seoulselection.com/news_letter/issue/year_2006/0107/image/vienaboyschoir.jpg

xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx
xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox

Keeper
March 23rd, 2007, 05:36 AM

http://savannahnow.com/node/246396

Earlier news had Newton and Huntley quitting the team
after the end of the season. Did they reconsider and return?xoopsx

Kill'em
March 24th, 2007, 09:29 AM
I don't know about Huntley. Newton was one of their best players last year.

blackcaesar3k5
March 24th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Coach Theo Lemon is outstanding defensive minded coach going back to his day as an assistant under former Central State Marauders Head Football Coach William "Billy" Joe.. I hope Coach Lemon can return the Tigers back to greatness..

appfan2008
March 24th, 2007, 05:00 PM
and now the rumor is they are coming to app but i sure hope not

Mr. C
March 24th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Would you rather have TWO Division II games? Savannah State is about the only FCS team left that is willing to play ASU.

Glad to see Lemon taking a no nonsense approach to SSU football. He sounds like just what the team needs.