PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Florence

Pages : [1] 2

Daytripper
September 10th, 2018, 10:26 AM
With the threat of a major hurricane hitting the east coast around Friday, are any contingency plans in place for games...especially in the Carolinas and Virginia?

walliver
September 10th, 2018, 10:36 AM
The football-less wimps at UNC-W have already cancelled classes and all athletic events for the week.
Since there's no real travel involved, the Citadel and CSU can wait to the last minute to decide what to do with their games.
FU-Colgate, I would expect to be a safe bet to go on if Colgate can arrange travel to Greenville before Friday and travel back home on Sunday or later. Furman plays on high ground on a plastic field.
SC State is at home, but short of a direct hit could likely play.

The games most likely to be cancelled/rescheduled would be the South Carolina game as Columbia is prone to flooding and the Coastal game which may take a direct hit.

It is not common for hurricanes to turn northward from their projections as they near the coast, so Virginia games could also be affected.

Catamount87
September 10th, 2018, 10:43 AM
True that they do make a turn, some more strongly than others. Flo doesn't look like she'll make such a turn.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at1+shtml/145000.shtml?key_messages#contents

Daytripper
September 10th, 2018, 10:59 AM
She's a big girl....

https://dynaimage.cdn.cnn.com/cnn/animations/w_1100,ac_none/180910094344-desktop-20180910-florence-loop.mp4

CHIP72
September 10th, 2018, 11:01 AM
I considered posting a thread on this, but you (Daytripper) beat me to it. xlolx

The big concern with this storm will probably be flooding due to storm projections saying the storm will slow down, with most of Virginia and nearby areas experiencing the greatest impact. The location where the storm comes on-shore (projected to be southeast North Carolina at this point, but it could be anywhere between Savannah, GA and Virginia Beach, VA) could also be significantly impacted.

If the storm follows the current predictions, I actually expect many games to be impacted. Games that could be impacted include the following (focused on areas between the Carolinas and southern portion of Pennsylvania, with some nearby areas also included); all times are Eastern Time:

*Savannah State at Howard, 1 PM (Washington, DC)
*Colgate at Furman, 1 PM (Greenville, SC)
*Stetson at Presbyterian, 1 PM (Clinton, SC)
*East Tennessee State at VMI, 1:30 PM (Lexington, VA)
*St. Francis (PA) at Richmond, 2 PM (Richmond, VA)
*Bucknell at Penn, 3 PM (Philadelphia, PA)
*Cornell at Delaware, 3:30 PM (Newark, DE)
*Towson at Villanova, 3:30 PM (Villanova, PA)
*Lehigh at Navy, 3:30 PM (Annapolis, MD)
*North Carolina Central at South Carolina State, 6 PM (Orangeburg, SC)
*Tennessee State at Hampton, 6 PM (Hampton, VA)
*Elon at William & Mary, 6 PM (Williamsburg, VA)
*Robert Morris at James Madison, 6 PM (Harrisonburg, VA)
*Charleston Southern at The Citadel, 6 PM (Charleston, SC)
*Western Carolina at Gardner-Webb, 6 PM (Boiling Springs, NC)
*Norfolk State at Liberty, 6 PM (Lynchburg, VA)
*Campbell at Coastal Carolina, 7 PM (Conway, SC)
*Guilford at Davidson, 7 PM (Davidson, NC)

The games shown in bold are the games that IMO could be most impacted based on the currently-projected storm path and rain projections.

Go Green
September 10th, 2018, 11:27 AM

I'm glad Georgetown v. Dartmouth is in Hanover on Saturday.

JSUSoutherner
September 10th, 2018, 11:29 AM
Hurricane might really mess with my parents vacation plans for next week...

CockyGeek
September 10th, 2018, 11:31 AM
Legion Field in Birmingham had a couple of games last year when the hurricane hit Florida. UAB is at home this weekend but I could see them hosting some games on Thursday or Friday if they are rescheduled.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

JSUSoutherner
September 10th, 2018, 11:36 AM
Legion Field in Birmingham had a couple of games last year when the hurricane hit Florida. UAB is at home this weekend but I could see them hosting some games on Thursday or Friday if they are rescheduled.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
We have a bye this week...

And a premier stadium...

And we're close to where the hurricane will be but not in the path....

So that means our officials won't take advantage of the situation like normal. Another wasted opportunity.

CHIP72
September 10th, 2018, 11:40 AM
I know I'm keeping a close eye on this storm and projected rain impacts in the DC area because I was planning on attending THREE sports events on Saturday (all times Eastern Time):

CFB: Temple at Maryland, 12 PM
CFB: Lehigh at Navy, 3:30 PM
MLB: White Sox at Orioles, 7 PM

If the current forecast is reasonably accurate, it appears likely the White Sox/Orioles game in Baltimore won't be played on Saturday due to Hurricane Florence-related rain. As for the two football games, there are reasonable opportunities to reschedule both of them (coincidentally to dates that would work for me):

*Lehigh/Navy: Both teams have a bye week scheduled for Saturday 9/29, so the game could probably be easily moved from Saturday 9/15 to Saturday 9/29, assuming no other events are planned for Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium on 9/29.

*Temple/Maryland: The teams have different bye weeks; Temple's is scheduled for Saturday 10/27, while Maryland's is scheduled for Saturday 9/29. However, if the University of Illinois is cooperative, there is a straightforward way to keep both Temple's and Maryland's schedules "full". Illinois is scheduled to play at Maryland on Saturday 10/27 (Temple's scheduled bye week), and the Fighting Illini's bye week, like Maryland's, is scheduled for Saturday 9/29. If Illinois agrees to move the Illinois/Maryland game from 10/27 to the teams' mutual bye week on 9/29, that would allow the Temple/Maryland game to be moved from 9/15 to 10/27.

PurpleStreamers
September 10th, 2018, 12:03 PM
I considered posting a thread on this, but you (Daytripper) beat me to it. xlolx

The big concern with this storm will probably be flooding due to storm projections saying the storm will slow down, with most of Virginia and nearby areas experiencing the greatest impact. The location where the storm comes on-shore (projected to be southeast North Carolina at this point, but it could be anywhere between Savannah, GA and Virginia Beach, VA) could also be significantly impacted.

If the storm follows the current predictions, I actually expect many games to be impacted. Games that could be impacted include the following (focused on areas between the Carolinas and southern portion of Pennsylvania, with some nearby areas also included); all times are Eastern Time:

The games shown in bold are the games that IMO could be most impacted based on the currently-projected storm path and rain projections.

JMU has already sent a message to fans asking them to follow closely for changes this weekend. The thought is the storm will go inland and then stall, potentially dumping tons of rain. Bad history of flooding at Bridgeforth Stadium from events much smaller.

I know NC State at FBS has already done the same too. Non-football, but UNCW has already called a voluntary evacuation for their students and closed beginning Thursday.

Catamount87
September 10th, 2018, 12:07 PM
To put things into perspective. During the WRAL (Raleigh) noon newscast, the meteorologist, stated this storm is roughly 440 miles wide and the coast of NC is 240 miles long. Raleigh is roughly 140 miles from the coast and Asheville is roughly 250 miles from Raleigh. While Charleston, SC is roughly 250 miles from Raleigh and 200 miles from Charlotte. So, pretty much nowhere in NC and SC is going to safe from this storm's wrath. (BTW, distances based on driving distance.)

AND as of noon the NWS has upgraded Flo to a cat 4 storm. This bad girl hasn't even hit the warm gulf stream waters yet where storms really gain strength!

caribbeanhen
September 10th, 2018, 12:36 PM
Be Safe El Cid and anyone else in the path of Flo, meanwhile Isaac might just skim south of here.... after that who knows

Southern Bison
September 10th, 2018, 01:58 PM
To put things into perspective. During the WRAL (Raleigh) noon newscast, the meteorologist, stated this storm is roughly 440 miles wide and the coast of NC is 240 miles long. Raleigh is roughly 140 miles from the coast and Asheville is roughly 250 miles from Raleigh. While Charleston, SC is roughly 250 miles from Raleigh and 200 miles from Charlotte. So, pretty much nowhere in NC and SC is going to safe from this storm's wrath. (BTW, distances based on driving distance.)

AND as of noon the NWS has upgraded Flo to a cat 4 storm. This bad girl hasn't even hit the warm gulf stream waters yet where storms really gain strength!

Grocery stores in Charlotte are already getting emptied out of bread, water, & milk. It's going to be an interesting weekend.

walliver
September 10th, 2018, 02:11 PM
Grocery stores in Charlotte are already getting emptied out of bread, water, & milk. It's going to be an interesting weekend.

But, do they still have beer?

Lumberton is out of bottled water so I bought a 10 gallon dispenser at Lowes.

I don't know why people buy milk which will go bad if the power goes out. Water stations inland should have back-up generators (near the coast, the pumping stations could flood). The whole bread, milk, and water thing is a southern tradition, especially if a flake of snow is seen.
I stick to the essentials: beer, gin, and potato chips.

caribbeanhen
September 10th, 2018, 02:13 PM
Ice goes like hotcakes after a big storm passes..... and the power is out

walliver
September 10th, 2018, 02:13 PM
SC Governor orders evacuation of coast
https://www.thestate.com/news/state/south-carolina/article218123955.html

It looks like Chuck South and El Cid won't be playing, at least not in Charleston.

JSUSoutherner
September 10th, 2018, 02:20 PM

It looks like Chuck South and El Cid won't be playing, at least not in Charleston.
Play it in Jacksonville.

ElCid
September 10th, 2018, 02:38 PM

The WCU G-W game is in more jeopardy than The Citadel/CS per current trends/forecast. Current track has it pretty much above Charlotte Saturday AM and Boiling springs is only a few miles west. Pretty much overhead Davidson. Way past Charleston by then. Everything in eastern VA is primed to get blasted on Saturday with rain bands and wind coming on shore. But it is still early. Lots of time yet for it to change direction.

I am still thinking that it nudges a few more degrees north.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28730&stc=1

ElCid
September 10th, 2018, 02:40 PM
Be Safe El Cid and anyone else in the path of Flo, meanwhile Isaac might just skim south of here.... after that who knows

Pretty far from me. Most we will probably get is rain and some gale force wind.

ElCid
September 10th, 2018, 02:44 PM

A bit premature. Another day is in order. But I suppose that is what they figure folks will do any way. I've seen too many of things change direction to get too antsy.

Southern Bison
September 10th, 2018, 02:45 PM

I don't know why people buy milk which will go bad if the power goes out. Water stations inland should have back-up generators (near the coast, the pumping stations could flood). The whole bread, milk, and water thing is a southern tradition, especially if a flake of snow is seen.

Plenty of beer, steaks, water, and fresh veggies at the house...we have a natural gas grill & stove as well as a 25k gallon pool so we'll be fine.

JSUSoutherner
September 10th, 2018, 02:47 PM
Plenty of beer, steaks, water, and fresh veggies at the house...we have a natural gas grill & stove as well as a 25k gallon pool so we'll be fine.

25k pool filled with chlorine?

dbackjon
September 10th, 2018, 02:55 PM
onway, S.C. – In response to the impending arrival of Hurricane Florence, the Coastal Carolina home football game versus Campbell originally scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 15, in Conway, S.C., has been rescheduled for Wednesday, Sept. 12, at 2 p.m. ET at Barker-Lane Stadium in Buies Creek, N.C.

"Given the close proximity of our campuses and based on current available information regarding the storm, there was mutual interest in playing the game on Wednesday," said CCU Director of Athletics Matt Hogue. "Our team planned to relocate until the passing of the storm regardless, so moving the game to Buies Creek worked with that plan. The safety of our student-athletes, fans and event staff are of the utmost concern to Coastal Carolina University

https://goccusports.com/news/2018/9/10/coastal-campbell-football-game-moved-in-response-to-hurricane-florence.aspx

walliver
September 10th, 2018, 02:55 PM

Chlorinated pool water is quite drinkable. He could also have a salt-water pool which is also drinkable, but a little salty (salt water pool systems are nowhere near the salinity of the ocean).

Southern Bison
September 10th, 2018, 02:57 PM

Salt water. That way we don't use the drinking water for anything else like showers or flushing toilets.

RootinFerDukes
Dang, a big time FBS school playing at one of those lowly FCS stadiums. *tongue in cheek*

JSUSoutherner
Chlorinated pool water is quite drinkable. He could also have a salt-water pool which is also drinkable, but a little salty (salt water pool systems are nowhere near the salinity of the ocean).

I get the saltwater, you can boil it either way if you want.

I'm struggling to believe you on the chlorine.

Go Green
September 10th, 2018, 03:06 PM
Dang, a big time FBS school playing at one of those lowly FCS stadiums. *tongue in cheek*

"Friday Night Lights" had an episode where they played a game in a cow pasture because Dillon was damaged by a tornado (or some other disaster).

:)

Reign of Terrier
September 10th, 2018, 03:07 PM
both teams, if they play, will not be fresh with evacuation orders

walliver
September 10th, 2018, 03:10 PM
I get the saltwater, you can boil it either way if you want.

I'm struggling to believe you on the chlorine.

Most people have chlorinated water coming out of their home taps. A properly balanced pool doesn't have that much chlorine in it. Chlorine gas is very dangerous, but the amount of bleach in pool water isn't. In fact, you can buy chlorine compounds to place in non-treated water - frequently used in third world countries. Some public pools add tons of chlorine, but most home pools have significantly lower levels.

If you don't like the chlorine taste, you can either let it sit out a while or boil it.

MR. CHICKEN
September 10th, 2018, 03:12 PM

..........EQUALS.....ATMOSPHERE ON MARS.............AWQ!

walliver
September 10th, 2018, 03:15 PM
onway, S.C. – In response to the impending arrival of Hurricane Florence, the Coastal Carolina home football game versus Campbell originally scheduled for Saturday, Sept. 15, in Conway, S.C., has been rescheduled for Wednesday, Sept. 12, at 2 p.m. ET at Barker-Lane Stadium in Buies Creek, N.C.

"Given the close proximity of our campuses and based on current available information regarding the storm, there was mutual interest in playing the game on Wednesday," said CCU Director of Athletics Matt Hogue. "Our team planned to relocate until the passing of the storm regardless, so moving the game to Buies Creek worked with that plan. The safety of our student-athletes, fans and event staff are of the utmost concern to Coastal Carolina University

https://goccusports.com/news/2018/9/10/coastal-campbell-football-game-moved-in-response-to-hurricane-florence.aspx

I guess 2 in the afternoon gives some time to get away before the heavy rains start. The bad weather probably won't get to Buies Creek until Friday. Hopefully that have somewhere in the area to stay, as the traffic on I-95 and I-40 will likely be bumper-to-bumper by Wednesday afternoon.

CHIP72
September 10th, 2018, 03:30 PM
The WCU G-W game is in more jeopardy than The Citadel/CS per current trends/forecast. Current track has it pretty much above Charlotte Saturday AM and Boiling springs is only a few miles west. Pretty much overhead Davidson. Way past Charleston by then. Everything in eastern VA is primed to get blasted on Saturday with rain bands and wind coming on shore. But it is still early. Lots of time yet for it to change direction.

I am still thinking that it nudges a few more degrees north.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28730&stc=1

The Weather Channel projection I used when I identified the games showed the heaviest rain falling mostly in Virginia. A more recent projection from earlier this afternoon puts the heaviest rain area a little further south, more in the southern half of Virginia (excluding southwestern Virginia), much of the eastern 2/3 of North Carolina, and a portion of northern/northeastern South Carolina. Having said that, the heaviest rain will likely be on the north and east side of the storm, and will also be dependent on the location of any frontal boundaries coming across the U.S. that interact with the storm.

Hammerhead
September 10th, 2018, 03:37 PM
Not the pools I swam in as a kid 40 years ago. One accidental gulp and you were lucky to make it to the edge before hurling.

ElCid
September 10th, 2018, 03:47 PM
The Weather Channel projection I used when I identified the games showed the heaviest rain falling mostly in Virginia. A more recent projection from earlier this afternoon puts the heaviest rain area a little further south, more in the southern half of Virginia (excluding southwestern Virginia), much of the eastern 2/3 of North Carolina, and a portion of northern/northeastern South Carolina. Having said that, the heaviest rain will likely be on the north and east side of the storm, and will also be dependent on the location of any frontal boundaries coming across the U.S. that interact with the storm.

Yeah, I also just saw some tracks form various models that take it a little further north. These weather channel tracks are like some kind of average. But a bunch of tracks from many models have it hitting even further north near Hatteras. We can only hope it turns out to sea. New "official" update in 15 minutes. Also, there is a stationary front in the mid Carolinas/VA in the 24-48 hour forecast. Have to wait to see what it will do.

walliver
September 10th, 2018, 03:57 PM
The Citadel is evacuating their campus tomorrow at 5:30 AM. Jeff Hartsell reports that the game will not be played at Johnson Hagood, but isn't sure of its status. (North Greenville and PC both have home games this weekend)

TheRevSFA
September 10th, 2018, 04:00 PM

White Russians, obviously.

ElCid
September 10th, 2018, 04:04 PM
Not sure why. Latest update has Charleston almost out of danger. Predicted track is indeed moving north. I think they may rethink this decision upon next update later tonight.

McCowboys
September 10th, 2018, 04:08 PM
Play it in Jacksonville.

If their areas are hit/flooded, they won't be able to get back home.

FUBeAR
September 10th, 2018, 04:12 PM
We have a bye this week...

And a premier stadium...

And we're close to where the hurricane will be but not in the path....

So that means our officials won't take advantage of the situation like normal. Another wasted opportunity.I think, in the interest of safety, Mercer @ Sanford should be moved to JaxState. I’ve seen how Sanford plays there. xnodx

FUBeAR
September 10th, 2018, 04:22 PM
The Citadel is evacuating their campus tomorrow at 5:30 AM. Jeff Hartsell reports that the game will not be played at Johnson Hagood, but isn't sure of its status. (North Greenville and PC both have home games this weekend)Mercer is away. They have ‘loaned’ their stadium for numerous HS events in the past. 2 hotels within a couple of hundred yards of the stadium. Could be a nice self-contained venue for all involved. Hope they are talking to the schools in Chucktown.

ElCid
September 10th, 2018, 04:33 PM
Looks like at about game time, it will be centered around Danville VA on the NC border. Richmond will be in it, W&M, VMI, the teams near Norfolk. I think the SC games could be played if the evac doesn't screw up timing. Looks like it slows down big time after landfall. Charleston down to 16% chance of 50Kt wind...on Friday..... Need a place to practice though if they actually leave.

Reign of Terrier
September 10th, 2018, 04:35 PM
The Citadel is evacuating their campus tomorrow at 5:30 AM. Jeff Hartsell reports that the game will not be played at Johnson Hagood, but isn't sure of its status. (North Greenville and PC both have home games this weekend)

Sounds like the Citadel may reach out to alumnus Richard Johnson. Who is also Wofford's AD

ElCid
September 10th, 2018, 04:37 PM
Sounds like the Citadel may reach out to alumnus Richard Johnson. Who is also Wofford's AD

When does your team leave. We need the practicexlolx

ElCid
September 10th, 2018, 05:08 PM
Well, its official from the Bulldog site. Game will be moved out of Charleston, site TBD.

http://citadelsports.com/news/2018/9/10/general-changes-announced-for-citadel-athletics-events.aspx

ST_Lawson
September 10th, 2018, 07:26 PM

I never really understood that either. Stock up on empty milk jugs throughout the year, fill them all up well in advance of the hurricane hitting. Go get non-perishable food or things that will last a long time. You could go a while on potatoes, beef jerky, granola, and water if you had to.

Then again, what do I know...we only get tornadoes and blizzards around here.

ElCid
September 10th, 2018, 07:29 PM
I never really understood that either. Stock up on empty milk jugs throughout the year, fill them all up well in advance of the hurricane hitting. Go get non-perishable food or things that will last a long time. You could go a while on potatoes, beef jerky, granola, and water if you had to.

Then again, what do I know...we only get tornadoes and blizzards around here.

It's because people are stupid and never look more than 5 minutes ahead.

ST_Lawson
September 10th, 2018, 07:32 PM
It's because people are stupid and never look more than 5 minutes ahead.

That's probably an explanation you could use for most of the world's problems.

Edit - I suppose bread isn't too bad either. It should last a while...or at least as long as it would take to get the necessities back in order in most areas, I'd imagine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JSUSoutherner
September 10th, 2018, 08:02 PM
I think, in the interest of safety, Mercer @ Sanford should be moved to JaxState. I’ve seen how Sanford plays there. xnodx
Not sure Samford would call that a safe place.

JSUSoutherner
September 10th, 2018, 08:03 PM
If their areas are hit/flooded, they won't be able to get back home.
Well they'll be evacuated so it's not like they'd be there either way.

One way plays football. Oxford has hotels.

ElCid
September 10th, 2018, 08:48 PM
Latest tracks from models. Looks like eastern half of NC and central VA going to get worst. The black line is the current guidance. Still no decision on where our game will be played.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28737&stc=1

RootinFerDukes
September 10th, 2018, 09:32 PM
Thanks for sharing el cid. The center, Black line is an average of all the models and a likely path?

What ever it does, none of this stopping ****. Move through and do so fast.

ElCid
September 10th, 2018, 11:02 PM
Thanks for sharing el cid. The center, Black line is an average of all the models and a likely path?

What ever it does, none of this stopping ****. Move through and do so fast.

I think that is the NHC official track prediction. Still a crap shoot.

ElCid
September 10th, 2018, 11:11 PM
Storm track continues to wobble north on 11PM EDT update. SC almost clear but it could change. NC games and VA games will be affected for sure.

Southern Bison
September 11th, 2018, 07:59 AM
Storm track continues to wobble north on 11PM EDT update. SC almost clear but it could change. NC games and VA games will be affected for sure.Charlotte & southern NC/northern SC is getting more rain in today's projections vs. yesterday's. 2-3" is now 8-12". We've already had rain above average for the year so the soil is soft. 8"-12" coming in with t.s. level winds will bring more trees down.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

bonarae
September 11th, 2018, 08:02 AM
Meanwhile...

Campbell and Coastal relocated their planned Saturday money game in Coastal's stadium to Campbell's stadium and is scheduled for tomorrow, 2 pm. Admission is free and general admission.

Southern Bison
September 11th, 2018, 08:10 AM
I-26 goes westbound only at noon today.

ElCid
September 11th, 2018, 08:15 AM
Charlotte & southern NC/northern SC is getting more rain in today's projections vs. yesterday's. 2-3" is now 8-12". We've already had rain above average for the year so the soil is soft. 8"-12" coming in with t.s. level winds will bring more trees down.

Yeah, we are already way over our average for the year up by me. They still can't quite figure out what it will do once it hits the coast.

And still no date, time or place for our game. And the latest forecast has just a small percentage for affects in Charleston. Ugh. Probably rain for sure. And if anyone has been downtown in a heavy rain storm they know how it floods the streets regularly, Especially at high tide and especially by the stadium. It was built in old marsh land.

ElCid
September 11th, 2018, 08:18 AM
I-26 goes westbound only at noon today.

I'm still thinking this evac gets modified at the 1100 update. We will see. I can still see it from, say Georgetown up maybe, but it is a bit overkill for Charleston, as of current info.

Sandlapper Spike
September 11th, 2018, 08:35 AM
The game between The Citadel and Charleston Southern has been postponed.

bluehenbillk
September 11th, 2018, 08:53 AM
Reports from TV stations in Morgantown saying the WVU/NC State game won't be played this weekend.

ElCid
September 11th, 2018, 09:17 AM
The game between The Citadel and Charleston Southern has been postponed.

Which means is really is cancelled since there are no common open dates. Unless it is Sunday at latest. Meanwhile they jumped the gun a bit and the storm appears to pose little threat to Charleston.

Daytripper
September 11th, 2018, 09:19 AM
Get the hell out of the way of this girl......

https://twitter.com/i/status/1039242623788228615

JSUSoutherner
September 11th, 2018, 09:30 AM
Get the hell out of the way of this girl......

https://twitter.com/i/status/1039242623788228615She big.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180911/cfff47f31b64a1ed9fb243987b9105f4.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S9+ using Tapatalk

WileECoyote06
September 11th, 2018, 09:38 AM
I haven't seen word on the NCCU vs SCSU game.

caribbeanhen
September 11th, 2018, 09:42 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28744&stc=1

getting choppy out here, I'll be heading back into port...

ElCid
September 11th, 2018, 09:44 AM
I haven't seen word on the NCCU vs SCSU game.

I would hope they play as is. Unless the storm swings south, both Orangeburg and Charleston should be fine. Maybe a rain band or two and breezy at worst.

bluehenbillk
September 11th, 2018, 09:44 AM
Norfolk St & Liberty postponed to December 1

WileECoyote06
September 11th, 2018, 10:31 AM
I would hope they play as is. Unless the storm swings south, both Orangeburg and Charleston should be fine. Maybe a rain band or two and breezy at worst.

The problem is travel. We'd have to potentially leave tomorrow to get there to ride the storm out. Then there's no telling what shape RDU will be in when the game is over. I wouldn't prefer that for our athletes. They played FAMU in the aftermath of Hurricane Matthew. It was a sparsely attended, ugly, slug-fest that should have either been played earlier or avoided altogether.

bluehenbillk
September 11th, 2018, 10:37 AM
Elon and W&M cancelled

ElCid
September 11th, 2018, 10:49 AM
The problem is travel. We'd have to potentially leave tomorrow to get there to ride the storm out. Then there's no telling what shape RDU will be in when the game is over. I wouldn't prefer that for our athletes. They played FAMU in the aftermath of Hurricane Matthew. It was a sparsely attended, ugly, slug-fest that should have either been played earlier or avoided altogether.

But that is the point, there may not be much aftermath in Orangeburg. I get, getting there and back issue since it will be bad in NC. We did the same thing when we had to play NGU. Spent the week in the upstate. But whether they are there or in Orangeburg, it will be the same result. Which really makes me mad about the SC evac fiasco. The Chas Southern boys and cadets could be playing easily. Travel was no issue. The Gov jumped the gun in an election year. I have sat through many a storm in Chucktown. By most predictions, and the chance of it moving further south are dropping every hour, this one is pretty far away and the effects limited in Charleston. I am cautious by nature, but I usually don't go overboard like this event has spawned among politicians and the Weather Channel doomsayers. Only 11 games. Any hope we had of fighting our way back this season is basically over without this game.

ElCid
September 11th, 2018, 10:59 AM
Well its official, we have tossed in the towel. The CSU game has been rescheduled for 29 Nov. To be realistic with 2 Conf losses already, it would have been hard to gain a playoff spot. But stranger things have happened. But now it is official. There is always next year.

RedFlash
September 11th, 2018, 11:04 AM
Still waiting for word on StFU at Richmond. I'm guessing this one will be cancelled as their open dates do not match up.

FUBeAR
September 11th, 2018, 11:08 AM
Well its official, we have tossed in the towel. The CSU game has been rescheduled for 29 Nov. To be realistic with 2 Conf losses already, it would have been hard to gain a playoff spot. But stranger things have happened. But now it is official. There is always next year.OMG - there has to be an ‘out clause’ if either Team makes the Playoffs...right?

If not, I think you boys better grab your muskets and start another war or something. That’s insane. 8-3 / 6-2 with a good showing in Tuscaloosa & CIT is a Playoff Team.

Sandlapper Spike
September 11th, 2018, 11:08 AM
The game is contingent on neither team making the playoffs.

TheKingpin28
September 11th, 2018, 11:13 AM
Elon and W&M cancelled

That blows. It was damn near a free W for Elon to pad the season for the playoffs and now they have to find a way to go a minimum of 7-3 in order to make the playoffs, which with @JMU, @Maine, @Delaware, Richmond, and potentially RI, (I know that's weird to say), that is not an easy schedule by any means.

BEAR
September 11th, 2018, 11:13 AM
Well its official, we have tossed in the towel. The CSU game has been rescheduled for 29 Nov. To be realistic with 2 Conf losses already, it would have been hard to gain a playoff spot. But stranger things have happened. But now it is official. There is always next year.

Oh man!SFA had to cancel a game last week too. 9 games left and they are 0-1. That means they will likely have to go 8-1 in conference to make the playoffs but with Nicholls, SAM, UCA, McNeese, and Lamar left...man that's a TALL order...

Go Green
September 11th, 2018, 11:20 AM
Elon and W&M cancelled

Media reports say "postponed."

OhioHen
September 11th, 2018, 11:25 AM

At lunch time today I saw about a dozen carts filled with nothing but beer and wine at the Wal-Mart. It may get warm without refrigeration, but at least it won't spoil!

ElCid
September 11th, 2018, 11:31 AM
OMG - there has to be an ‘out clause’ if either Team makes the Playoffs...right?

If not, I think you boys better grab your muskets and start another war or something. That’s insane. 8-3 / 6-2 with a good showing in Tuscaloosa & CIT is a Playoff Team.

Yes, an out clause, but the chances of us making the playoffs just went down big time. A win would have been nice. Not guaranteed, but very doable against CSU this year. Now we have to win out, sans Alafrickenbama, in order to get to the standard 7 wins. Without a win here, we have zero margin for error. At least we would have had a safety win. Tall order. Tall order anyway winning 6 more if we had played, but a little bit more now. I already said it, not playing at another location or delaying until Sunday, pretty much signals that we were done for the season in regard to playoffs. 2 Conf losses is pretty hard to recover from in any event. Sure we could do it, but what a predicament to be in. Maybe it will motivate the boys.

RichH2
September 11th, 2018, 11:36 AM
As of 12:30 today, Accuweather has moved Florence center from the SCAR-NCAR border further north into northeastern NCAR.

bluehenbillk
September 11th, 2018, 11:39 AM
UCF @ UNC scratched. Sets up an interesting scenario - UCF & Nebraska which had their opener vs Akron cancelled due to lightning share an open date - the Scott Frost Bowl??

FUBeAR
September 11th, 2018, 11:44 AM
Yes, an out clause, but the chances of us making the playoffs just went down big time. A win would have been nice. Not guaranteed, but very doable against CSU this year. Now we have to win out, sans Alafrickenbama, in order to get to the standard 7 wins. Without a win here, we have zero margin for error. At least we would have had a safety win. Tall order. Tall order anyway winning 6 more if we had played, but a little bit more now. I already said it, not playing at another location or delaying until Sunday, pretty much signals that we were done for the season in regard to playoffs. 2 Conf losses is pretty hard to recover from in any event. Sure we could do it, but what a predicament to be in. Maybe it will motivate the boys.
OK - so...ALL BUT throwing in the towel with putting the 11th game AFTER Playoff selection...I see.

Maybe Admin had a reason to (all but) ensure season would end earlier, rather than risk ending later. You know.

RootinFerDukes
September 11th, 2018, 11:50 AM
Elon and W&M cancelled

I saw postponed.

Tribe4SF
September 11th, 2018, 11:59 AM
I saw postponed.

They're working to reschedule.

bluehenbillk
September 11th, 2018, 12:32 PM
JMU moved to Thursday

walliver
September 11th, 2018, 12:41 PM

Sammy has shown that three conference loss teams can make the playoffs (2016), but starting 0-2 with games left against Samford, WCU, Furman and Mercer will make it hard. I really hate the SoCon's new scheduling with teams starting the season with 2 conference games. It worked well for the Citadel in 2016 and for Wofford this year, but really sucks if you lose. It's only the second week of September and the Citadel, with two close losses is almost on the outside looking in, while Furman, with two big losses, is still in control of their destiny in the SoCon race.

WestCoastAggie
September 11th, 2018, 12:48 PM
Although it's our bye week, A&T's cancelling classes beginning Wednesday at Noon. They're going into an emergency mode after the career fair ends at 3PM.

WileECoyote06
September 11th, 2018, 12:50 PM
we go into emergency mode after 5 today. Classes cancelled for the rest of the week.

Southern Bison
September 11th, 2018, 12:58 PM
The interesting thing about the Carolinas is that new neighborhood development over the past 20+ years puts all utilities underground...yet the main lines feeding said 'hoods along major streets are still on wooden power poles. It won't be individual houses losing power, it'll be entire neighborhoods because Duke Energy won't spend the money to bury the lines once they're up 30' in the air.

walliver
September 11th, 2018, 12:59 PM
My wife and our two terriers should be evacuating to the Upstate now. My job requires me to ride out the storm in Lumberton. Unfortunately, I have had some trouble convincing her of the urgency of getting on the road before everybody else.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 11th, 2018, 01:06 PM
My wife and our two terriers should be evacuating to the Upstate now. My job requires me to ride out the storm in Lumberton. Unfortunately, I have had some trouble convincing her of the urgency of getting on the road before everybody else.

Get safe and good luck. Same with the rest of you AGSers in the Carolinas.

grizband
September 11th, 2018, 01:07 PM
Shame to see multiple games postponed/cancelled. Hope everyone stays safe throughout the duration of the storm!

Milktruck74
September 11th, 2018, 01:07 PM

Having been to Robeson County too many times to count......this storm could really cause Millions and millions of dollars worth of improvements!!!!!

Go...gate
September 11th, 2018, 01:09 PM
Is Colgate at Furman still on?

walliver
September 11th, 2018, 01:13 PM
Having been to Robeson County too many times to count......this storm could really cause Millions and millions of dollars worth of improvements!!!!!

As long as it doesn’t “improve” my house. Fortunately, I am out of the flood plain.

Daytripper
September 11th, 2018, 01:14 PM

No job is worth a life.

Milktruck74
September 11th, 2018, 01:46 PM
As long as it doesn’t “improve” my house. Fortunately, I am out of the flood plain.

ride it out and stay safe!!!

walliver
September 11th, 2018, 02:01 PM
No job is worth a life.

Actually, that is my job.

But don’t worry, I have access to a hurricane proof structure, so I’ll be in a safe place.

jmu007
September 11th, 2018, 02:03 PM
Robert Morris vs JMU moved to 7PM EDT, Thursday. Ticket holders being offered credit toward future game if they can’t make it. Nice gesture by ticket office.

Gate83
September 11th, 2018, 02:11 PM
Is Colgate at Furman still on?

So far it looks like Furman thinks the storm may track to the north.

https://greenvillejournal.com/2018/09/11/furman-expects-to-keep-regular-schedule-amid-hurricane-florence/

ASU33
September 11th, 2018, 02:14 PM
Tennessee State @ Hampton has been canceled for this weekend and will be rescheduled at a later date. This is the 2nd straight canceled game for TSU.

Sandlapper Spike
September 11th, 2018, 02:14 PM
Maybe Admin had a reason to (all but) ensure season would end earlier, rather than risk ending later. You know.

No, I don't know.

ElCid
September 11th, 2018, 02:22 PM
Sammy has shown that three conference loss teams can make the playoffs (2016), but starting 0-2 with games left against Samford, WCU, Furman and Mercer will make it hard. I really hate the SoCon's new scheduling with teams starting the season with 2 conference games. It worked well for the Citadel in 2016 and for Wofford this year, but really sucks if you lose. It's only the second week of September and the Citadel, with two close losses is almost on the outside looking in, while Furman, with two big losses, is still in control of their destiny in the SoCon race.

Yeah it sucks. One I can see, maybe, but not nobody should have to play two SOCON games in the first two weeks. On the flip side we had Newberry, PC and ETSU the first three last year and starting 3-0, 1-0 didn't help. xlolx As you say, it can still be done, but it will be a tough road to hoe. In addition to the teams you mention, although I am not sure of WCU yet, we have Towson as well, on the road, and they looked pretty good last week. Gut check time.

Milktruck74
September 11th, 2018, 02:58 PM
Yeah it sucks. One I can see, maybe, but not nobody should have to play two SOCON games in the first two weeks. On the flip side we had Newberry, PC and ETSU the first three last year and starting 3-0, 1-0 didn't help. xlolx As you say, it can still be done, but it will be a tough road to hoe. In addition to the teams you mention, although I am not sure of WCU yet, we have Towson as well, on the road, and they looked pretty good last week. Gut check time.

If you win em all...it doesn't matter what order they come in. Ha. My Mocs schedule is set up nicely to "ramp up" into the season.....if we can pull off a W on Saturday vs UT-Martin, we will be 3-0 against teams that combined for 0-8...I was counting on the Hops to make it 1-8.....bite me Flo!!!!!

Milktruck74
September 11th, 2018, 03:03 PM
Everybody on the coast is going into evac mode.....I'm not that close, but I just poured my second glass (they are bigger than normal).....I'm in EVAC mode in the Mountains of TN....and thinking about you flat landers!!!! (in my best Dos Equis voice) Stay safe, my friends!!!

Southern Bison
September 11th, 2018, 03:12 PM
From a local meteorologist.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180911/b01d210a4cfb7cd8e97ad0f2be08aa85.jpg

Reign of Terrier
September 11th, 2018, 03:23 PM
That reminds me of a tweet I saw the other day:

"if there's a hurricane in South Carolina and no one mentions Hugo, did it really happen?"

JSUSoutherner
September 11th, 2018, 03:33 PM
From a local meteorologist.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180911/b01d210a4cfb7cd8e97ad0f2be08aa85.jpg

Yeah this one will probably look more like Harvey than Hugo.

CHIP72
September 11th, 2018, 03:42 PM
Based on the latest (Tuesday afternoon) projections, western North Carolina, most of South Carolina except the southern-most portions, and parts of northeastern Georgia may see greater impacts from Hurricane Florence than what was projected a couple days ago. Additionally, the storm is moving much slower than was projected on Monday; it is now expected to make landfall on Friday morning, whereas 24 hours ago (Monday afternoon) landfall was expected on Thursday morning. The games in interior South Carolina are now (Tuesday PM) at greater risk of postponement/cancelation than they were a day ago (Monday), while games in central Virginia and further north are less likely to be impacted. Those projections could still change more, especially with the storm moving more slowly than it was previously.

JSUSoutherner
September 11th, 2018, 03:46 PM
Based on the latest (Tuesday afternoon) projections, western North Carolina, most of South Carolina except the southern-most portions, and parts of northeastern Georgia may see greater impacts from Hurricane Florence than what was projected a couple days ago. Additionally, the storm is moving much slower than was projected on Monday; it is now expected to make landfall on Friday morning, whereas 24 hours ago (Monday afternoon) landfall was expected on Thursday morning. The games in interior South Carolina are now (Tuesday PM) at greater risk of postponement/cancelation than they were a day ago (Monday), while games in central Virginia and further north are less likely to be impacted. Those projections could still change more, especially with the storm moving more slowly than it was previously.

Sounds like a good weekend to finally ride down to Savannah and Brunswick.

RichH2
September 11th, 2018, 03:50 PM

The High by NY will likely slow storm more and keep it from heading North on the coast after landfall. Northwesterly once inland. Key for Maryland and Chesapeake Bay is where Flo hits. Not definite yet.

BisonTru
September 11th, 2018, 04:36 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180911/cd4d04b07c4334dae4574fb5ca71c601.jpg

Southern Bison
September 11th, 2018, 05:54 PM

Nice post...dick.

Daytripper
September 11th, 2018, 05:55 PM

You've obviously never been in the path of a Hurricane. It's no joke.

BisonTru
September 11th, 2018, 06:16 PM

Meh, it's a funny pic. I wish nothing but the best for everyone in the path of Florence.

caribbeanhen
September 11th, 2018, 06:22 PM
That reminds me of a tweet I saw the other day:

"if there's a hurricane in South Carolina and no one mentions Hugo, did it really happen?"

Hugo, oh what memories

cx500d
September 11th, 2018, 06:27 PM
Hugo, oh what memories

Yeah, direct hit on Roosey Roads....Took years to fix the damage.

BisonTru
September 11th, 2018, 06:33 PM
Nice post...dick.

Remember whey you wished I would be hit by a drunk driver or that females in my life would be assaulted or that someone would jeopardize my family and career..... maybe this is just karma. ;)

Btw, in all seriousness, I wish you nothing but the best as this storm moves over even if it isn't mutual.

WileECoyote06
September 11th, 2018, 06:46 PM
Man, if someone can make jokes about the flooding in Robeson county, then this is fair game.

ElCid
September 11th, 2018, 07:21 PM
Yeah, direct hit on Roosey Roads....Took years to fix the damage.

Ah, Hugo. Direct hit on both my in laws house and beach house. No damage.xthumbsupx I remember about a year before Hugo, I was out with my father in law putting up cross bracing under the beach house because it swayed a bit too much in the wind and he wanted to stabilize it. He was an engineer. We did it as a TS was hitting. Too funny putting up beams in a 50Kt wind. But it worked because Hugo never made a dent while houses around him disappeared.

I've evac'ed units for so many storms over the years in Ga and Florida, I have become numb to it. The one we didn't evac for was Alberto in 94. We did have to move the jets to high part of the base since the river kept coming up and flooded most of the flight line. There were moccasins every where coming out of the river.

cx500d
September 11th, 2018, 07:30 PM
Ah, Hugo. Direct hit on both my in laws house and beach house. No damage.xthumbsupx I remember about a year before Hugo, I was out with my father in law putting up cross bracing under the beach house because it swayed a bit too much in the wind and he wanted to stabilize it. He was an engineer. We did it as a TS was hitting. Too funny putting up beams in a 50Kt wind. But it worked because Hugo never made a dent while houses around him disappeared.

I've evac'ed units for so many storms over the years in Ga and Florida, I have become numb to it. The one we didn't evac for was Alberto in 94. We did have to move the jets to high part of the base since the river kept coming up and flooded most of the flight line. There were moccasins every where coming out of the river.

I usually flew the planes out of harms way somewhere. Only time I stayed back was in Okinawa when I was the OIC. Loaded up the planes with maintainers and the flew out while I stayed back with a few people...Interesting experience.

ST_Lawson
September 11th, 2018, 08:00 PM
Get out if you can, hunker down if you have to.
Stay safe y'all.

MarkCCU
September 11th, 2018, 08:00 PM

Fort Mill isn’t any better.

WestCoastAggie
September 11th, 2018, 08:01 PM
SC State and NCCU moved their game to Thanksgiving weekend, November 24th.

WestCoastAggie
September 11th, 2018, 08:02 PM
Fort Mill isn’t any better.

If you planned on riding out the storm in Georgia, you may as well head to Tennessee or Macon, because ATL hotels will be sold out by Thursday.

MarkCCU
September 11th, 2018, 08:06 PM
Not sure why. Latest update has Charleston almost out of danger. Predicted track is indeed moving north. I think they may rethink this decision upon next update later tonight.

Premature Evacuation..

Reign of Terrier
September 11th, 2018, 08:37 PM

I have been multiple times, as have many of my friends and yet that doesn't stop us from sharing memes like this on social media. Y'all need to lighten up a little bit.

Go...gate
September 11th, 2018, 08:46 PM
So far it looks like Furman thinks the storm may track to the north.

https://greenvillejournal.com/2018/09/11/furman-expects-to-keep-regular-schedule-amid-hurricane-florence/

Game is still on.

ElCid
September 11th, 2018, 09:09 PM
I usually flew the planes out of harms way somewhere. Only time I stayed back was in Okinawa when I was the OIC. Loaded up the planes with maintainers and the flew out while I stayed back with a few people...Interesting experience.

I did about 50/50 Stayed back when I Ops Officer. Going was much more fun.

ElCid
September 11th, 2018, 09:10 PM
Premature Evacuation..

There will be rain, and a bit of wind, but nothing to write home about. At least in Chucktown. I said earlier, I would have done from Georgetown up.

kperk014
September 11th, 2018, 10:04 PM
Alabama has declared the state a HURRICANE and TORNADO-FREE ZONE for the next 10 years. Thank you very much for complying.

RedFlash
September 11th, 2018, 10:11 PM
Hearing that Richmond may be coming to Loretto - Thursday at 5:00 pm. Nothing official at this point though.

JSUSoutherner
September 11th, 2018, 10:13 PM
Alabama has declared the state a HURRICANE and TORNADO-FREE ZONE for the next 10 years. Thank you very much for complying.

Yeah, we're just gonna pray all the bad weather away. That really worked wonders for my apartment this spring.

May it rest in pieces.

caribbeanhen
September 11th, 2018, 10:29 PM

I had a 12 hour watch scheduled the day before that lasted 7 days...... worse than being underway.... chaos

Hugo devestated St Croix, mass looting and civil unrest followed, 82 airborne had to drop in to restore order

2 guys swam out 1 mile offshored to a patrolling Coast Guard Cutter and reported the situation in St Croix, made it to the WH Sit room pretty fast

San Juan had no power for about 3 weeks

after Hugo slammed the NE corner of Puerto Rico it veered off to the NW CBDR on Charleston

Go...gate
September 12th, 2018, 01:18 AM
Hearing that Richmond may be coming to Loretto - Thursday at 5:00 pm. Nothing official at this point though.

Nice to see that schools are working together in this situation.

CHIP72
September 12th, 2018, 06:13 AM
Hurricane Florence's projected storm track continues to move further to the south; as of Wednesday morning the storm is now expected to skirt the southern half of the North Carolina and northern third of the South Carolina coast before making landfall. It is also expected to move slowly inland to the west after making landfall in South Carolina. The projected landfall time continues to be pushed back; as of Wednesday morning the storm is expected to stay right off the North Carolina/South Carolina coast for much of the day on Friday and Saturday. The storm impacts from the North Carolina/Virginia border northward will be significantly less than originally projected if the new projected path holds, while the impacts in South Carolina and much of the northern half of Georgia will be much greater than previously predicted. In terms of games impacted, any non-postponed or canceled games in Virginia probably will not need to be moved location or time-wise, while slow movement of the storm may limit the need to postpone/cancel any games from central South Carolina westward (though games in the western half of South Carolina may be postponed/canceled due to evacuation needs related to the storm).

Those of you in coastal areas between Wilmington, NC and Charleston, SC, make sure you are prepared because it looks like the storm may be worse for you than previously expected, especially with the storm now projected to remain just offshore, which will allow the storm to bring wind, rain, and storm surge to those areas for an extended period of time. With the current projected path, storm surge issues will also continue to be a major issue for most of the North Carolina coast north of Wilmington due to tropical storms' counter-clockwise wind flow.

It should be noted the storm's slow movement may continue to alter the projected path; it is still possible the storm will adjust its path back to the north, hitting the central North Carolina coast, or continue to adjust its path further to the south, creating greater impacts along the central South Carolina coast and possibly portions of the Georgia coast near Savannah or even Brunswick. The path or cone of uncertainty for this storm is still very large.

ElCid
September 12th, 2018, 06:43 AM
Hurricane Florence's projected storm track continues to move further to the south; as of Wednesday morning the storm is now expected to skirt the southern half of the North Carolina and northern third of the South Carolina coast before making landfall. It is also expected to move slowly inland to the west after making landfall in South Carolina. The projected landfall time continues to be pushed back; as of Wednesday morning the storm is expected to stay right off the North Carolina/South Carolina coast for much of the day on Friday and Saturday. The storm impacts from the North Carolina/Virginia border northward will be significantly less than originally projected if the new projected path holds, while the impacts in South Carolina and much of the northern half of Georgia will be much greater than previously predicted. In terms of games impacted, any non-postponed or canceled games in Virginia probably will not need to be moved location or time-wise, while slow movement of the storm may limit the need to postpone/cancel any games from central South Carolina westward (though games in the western half of South Carolina may be postponed/canceled due to evacuation needs related to the storm).

Those of you in coastal areas between Wilmington, NC and Charleston, SC, make sure you are prepared because it looks like the storm may be worse for you than previously expected, especially with the storm now projected to remain just offshore, which will allow the storm to bring wind, rain, and storm surge to those areas for an extended period of time. With the current projected path, storm surge issues will also continue to be a major issue for most of the North Carolina coast north of Wilmington due to tropical storms' counter-clockwise wind flow.

It should be noted the storm's slow movement may continue to alter the projected path; it is still possible the storm will adjust its path back to the north, hitting the central North Carolina coast, or continue to adjust its path further to the south, creating greater impacts along the central South Carolina coast and possibly portions of the Georgia coast near Savannah or even Brunswick. The path or cone of uncertainty for this storm is still very large.

Stationary front falling apart on the w, nw. Hmm. It did slow down a lot. Looks like Wilmington still going to get worst of it. But your right, it is moving a lot now. Charleston may get a bit more wind now. But at least it is on the back, south side on it. Furman may bet wet now if they play. Close call for them. Colgate may get stuck in Greenville after game for a couple days.

BEAR
September 12th, 2018, 06:56 AM
My brother in law lives in South Carolina along the coast near MB and has driven to Atlanta to wait it out. His wife works at Coastal so I have to find out how it affects that campus.

Winterborn
September 12th, 2018, 07:15 AM
I have been multiple times, as have many of my friends and yet that doesn't stop us from sharing memes like this on social media. Y'all need to lighten up a little bit.

Same reason why we laugh at blizzards and tornados here in the mid-west. Humor is the best way to lighten a stressful situation. Just normal human psychology to make light of a hazard to make it seem not as bad.

RedFlash
September 12th, 2018, 07:16 AM
In terms of games impacted, any non-postponed or canceled games in Virginia probably will not need to be moved location or time-wise, while slow movement of the storm may limit the need to postpone/cancel any games from central South Carolina westward (though games in the western half of South Carolina may be postponed/canceled due to evacuation needs related to the storm).

Based on what I heard last night, Richmond was very, very reluctant to move its game to StFU, so I would not be surprised if this latest forecast impacts that decision.

32counter
September 12th, 2018, 07:52 AM
Based on what I heard last night, Richmond was very, very reluctant to move its game to StFU, so I would not be surprised if this latest forecast impacts that decision.

UR wasn’t required to move game per contract.Your statement is incorrect.The European model of the Track was correct.The latest forecast only confirms UR’s patience to wait-and-see.To set the record straight,UR in conjunction with its CAA brethren,offered to have the game played at Towson,which SFU declined.That’s Curious.In essence,SFU was saying “It’s either Lorreto or nothing”.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at1.shtml?cone

Enjoy the bus ride to UR on Friday.Our playing surface drains miraculously well.Wouldn’t want the Red Flash to forfeit the game.

Anthony215
September 12th, 2018, 07:55 AM

Hahahahahaha I'm in my office literally crying laughing at this one lol.

Milktruck74
September 12th, 2018, 08:09 AM
Same reason why we laugh at blizzards and tornados here in the mid-west. Humor is the best way to lighten a stressful situation. Just normal human psychology to make light of a hazard to make it seem not as bad.

Quit trying to use Truth to minimize the outrage....They are entitled to their outrage, until they find something else to be outraged about.... BTW, I think I was the first to make a joke about this whole thing....and let me check.....yep, still don't give a damn about anyone else's opinion or outrage!!!!

RootinFerDukes
September 12th, 2018, 08:36 AM
With the change to projections this morning, almost all VA schools can go on with their games as scheduled.

RedFlash
September 12th, 2018, 08:49 AM
To set the record straight,UR in conjunction with its CAA brethren,offered to have the game played at Towson,which SFU declined.That’s Curious.In essence,SFU was saying “It’s either Lorreto or nothing”.

Obviously I'm only getting the StFU side of this, but I was told that StFU was more than happy to go to Towson (as they've played there quite often over the last few years) and that Richmond did not want to play there due to the added costs associated with travel, stadium use, etc. Look, I hope they play in Richmond as I always enjoy going to new stadiums and there's a BBQ place I'd like to try down there. And as for the bus ride comment, not that I'll be on it, but if you know anything about NEC football, a trip to Richmond is considered a short jaunt in comparison to some of the other trips StFU takes each year.

RedFlash
September 12th, 2018, 08:56 AM
And it's official. StFU's game against Richmond has been moved to Loretto - Thursday at 5:00 p.m.

https://richmondspiders.com/news/2018/9/12/hurricane-florence-moves-football-game-to-thursday-on-the-road-at-saint-francis.aspx

Reign of Terrier
September 12th, 2018, 09:10 AM
Exactlyxthumbsupx

MarkCCU
September 12th, 2018, 09:24 AM
It's a funny picture. Get over yourself.

ANd i've been through plenty of hurricanes. Hugo, Fran, Floyd, Matthew, etc...

MarkCCU
September 12th, 2018, 09:26 AM
I expect severe damage at CCUs stadium which has portions under construction.

wcugrad95
September 12th, 2018, 10:25 AM
Talk of the WCU at Gardner-Webb game being moved. Boiling Springs is a little West of Charlotte, so not sure how different the weather would be there versus Cullowhee unless they tried to move the game up a day (and it is already Wednesday now). The playoffs are unlikely for the Cats regardless, but not playing would probably be disasterous for any chance (our bye was last week).

Safety first, but cancelled games at the FCS level suck for everybody. Hopefully most of these games find a time and place to be held.

WestCoastAggie
September 12th, 2018, 10:27 AM
If enough teams are affected, the committee should look at moving the playoffs back a week.

jmu007
September 12th, 2018, 10:35 AM
I don’t understand the Richmond move at all. I live 10 min from that stadium and don’t expect anything more than a slightly rainy day at this point based on the updated track.

Reign of Terrier
September 12th, 2018, 10:38 AM
It's a funny picture. Get over yourself.

ANd i've been through plenty of hurricanes. Hugo, Fran, Floyd, Matthew, etc...

You have to understand that people have an irrational hatred for Tru that ultimately stems from politics and that triggers some sensitivity for some reason

Lehigh Football Nation
September 12th, 2018, 10:53 AM
With the new track it seems like Lehigh/Navy and Temple/Maryland are going on as scheduled, with the proviso that the track of the storm could still change. Unfortunately the Lehigh Alumni association cancelled their events on Friday and I believe Navy is also scaling back on the parade of Midshipmen, etc.

RedFlash
September 12th, 2018, 10:54 AM
I don’t understand the Richmond move at all. I live 10 min from that stadium and don’t expect anything more than a slightly rainy day at this point based on the updated track.

Agreed, but given the hype of the storm and the fact that the Commonwealth declared a state of emergency three days ago, Richmond probably felt like they had no choice.

Catamount87
September 12th, 2018, 11:11 AM
The WCU @ GW game is still on. Here's the latest from the WCU athletic dept.

FOOTBALL:Western Carolina (1-0) is scheduled to travel to Boiling Springs, N.C., on Saturday evening to face the Gardner-Webb Runnin’ Bulldogs (1-1) with a 6:00 pm kickoff at Spangler Stadium. Presently, there are no weather-related schedule changes to report. Please check back to CatamountSports.com and WCU’s social media outlets (@Catamounts, @WCU_FB on Twitter) for any updates.Saturday’s game is slated to be broadcast on the Catamount Sports Network with a 5:00 pm air time of the Pepsi Tailgate Show ahead of the 6:00 pm kickoff. The game will also be broadcast on ESPN+ (subscription required).

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 12th, 2018, 11:12 AM
UR wasn’t required to move game per contract.Your statement is incorrect.The European model of the Track was correct.The latest forecast only confirms UR’s patience to wait-and-see.To set the record straight,UR in conjunction with its CAA brethren,offered to have the game played at Towson,which SFU declined.That’s Curious.In essence,SFU was saying “It’s either Lorreto or nothing”.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at1.shtml?cone

Enjoy the bus ride to UR on Friday.Our playing surface drains miraculously well.Wouldn’t want the Red Flash to forfeit the game.

All your information is completely incorrect.

kdinva
September 12th, 2018, 11:24 AM

+1.........UR's turf won't be affected one bit....

kdinva
September 12th, 2018, 11:31 AM
With the change to projections this morning, almost all VA schools can go on with their games as scheduled.

agree.......UVa now mad that it moved their home game to Nashville.....

UPDATE: VMI's home game w/ETSU will now be Friday, 2:30 PM..........

JSUSoutherner
September 12th, 2018, 11:33 AM
+1.........UR's turf won't be affected one bit....
Yeah, with this new track Jacksonville might end up with more rain than Richmond.

walliver
September 12th, 2018, 11:50 AM
Don’t forget that tomorrow we may have a completely different track. Charleston was safe a day ago, but now is back at risk.

RootinFerDukes
September 12th, 2018, 12:03 PM
Don’t forget that tomorrow we may have a completely different track. Charleston was safe a day ago, but now is back at risk.

This is ultimately why every school in VA, NC and SC are all moving their games in preparation for the worst. It’d be a PR nightmare to not change and have an incident occur on campus related to athletic events.

Surprised some GA schools aren’t making adjustments yet.

JSUSoutherner
September 12th, 2018, 12:14 PM
This is ultimately why every school in VA, NC and SC are all moving their games in preparation for the worst. It’d be a PR nightmare to not change and have an incident occur on campus related to athletic events.

Savannah State, Georgia Southern, and Mercer are away I think. If it gets to Athens or Atlanta all it will do is rain.

WestCoastAggie
September 12th, 2018, 12:29 PM
Savannah State, Georgia Southern, and Mercer are away I think. If it gets to Athens or Atlanta all it will do is rain.

The northern half of Georgia is essentially forrest space, along with upstate South Carolina. we get any sustained winds over 40+ mph for a sustained period of time with soaking rains, we will lose power. spots of Atlanta lost power for a few days, up to 2 weeks thanks to remains of Hurricane Irma.

BisonTru
September 12th, 2018, 12:31 PM
Sorry if this isn't FCS related, but what's everyone's thoughts on NFL games getting cancelled/postponed?

Games in...
Washington
Atlanta
Jacksonville
Pittsburgh

I admittedly am an amateur when it comes to understanding hurricanes, but it looks as if all of those places should be safe.

Edit: Atlanta has a retractable roof.

CHIP72
September 12th, 2018, 12:37 PM
With the new track it seems like Lehigh/Navy and Temple/Maryland are going on as scheduled, with the proviso that the track of the storm could still change. Unfortunately the Lehigh Alumni association cancelled their events on Friday and I believe Navy is also scaling back on the parade of Midshipmen, etc.

Good news - I may not need a poncho for either game.

Bad news - I’ll probably miss the end of Temple/Maryland and/or the beginning of Lehigh/Navy (and maybe also the end of Lehigh/Navy so I can get to Baltimore for the White Sox/Orioles game before it gets too far into the game).

JSUSoutherner
September 12th, 2018, 12:38 PM
The northern half of Georgia is essentially forrest space, along with upstate South Carolina. we get any sustained winds over 40+ mph for a sustained period of time with soaking rains, we will lose power. spots of Atlanta lost power for a few days, up to 2 weeks thanks to remains of Hurricane Irma.
I'm aware what Atlanta is. I live there as well.

Florence won't have half the strength Irma did if it even gets this far south.

JSUSoutherner
September 12th, 2018, 12:40 PM
Sorry if this isn't FCS related, but what's everyone's thoughts on NFL games getting cancelled/postponed?

Games in...
Washington
Atlanta
Jacksonville
Pittsburgh

I admittedly am an amateur when it comes to understanding hurricanes, but it looks as if all of those places should be safe.

Wait are you asking why Atlanta is cancelled or saying they should cancel?

If the Falcons have to cancel for weather then that means there are a lot bigger issues than the Falcons having to cancel their game.

BisonTru
September 12th, 2018, 12:42 PM
Wait are you asking why Atlanta is cancelled or saying they should cancel?

If the Falcons have to cancel for weather then that means there are a lot bigger issues than the Falcons having to cancel their game.

I'm asking if there's even a possibility of Atlanta getting cancelled. I would assume a dome and that far in land, that it is close to a zero chance, but idk.

CHIP72
September 12th, 2018, 12:43 PM

I think the Georgia schools will be OK regardless of the track because of the slow movement of the storm. The storm is still expected to be near the coast or not far inland on Saturday.

This storm’s slow movement has made it a nightmare to prepare for logistically, due to the greater uncertainty with its track. If it moved faster, it would be easier to predict it’s path because it would take less time to travel from Point A to Point B.

CHIP72
September 12th, 2018, 12:47 PM

Games in...
Washington
Atlanta
Jacksonville
Pittsburgh

Based on the storm’s current projected path and speed, I think no NFL games are in serious jeopardy of being postponed. The revised track further to the west/south has totally taken Washington and Pittsburgh out of play in terms of impact, and Atlanta is too far west relative to the storm’s slow movement to be significantly impacted on Sunday. There’s an outside chance Jacksonville could still be impacted if the continued, revised projections that the storm will make landfall further to the south continue to modify in that direction.

UpstateBison
September 12th, 2018, 12:48 PM

Considering the Upstate of SC has a population of over 1.5 million people, I hardly consider it essentially forest space. It is not Atlanta (Thank God) but the current forecast will have an impact.

JSUSoutherner
September 12th, 2018, 12:50 PM
Considering the Upstate of SC has a population of over 1.5 million people, I hardly consider it essentially forest space. It is not Atlanta (Thank God) but the current forecast will have an impact.

Have you been there? It's pretty forest-y. :D

ElCid
September 12th, 2018, 12:52 PM
Well at least we didn't canx for nothing. Takes the sting out of it. Looking at it more closely now...I have another house in Charleston. Should weaken a bit by then though. Myrtle Beach and up could be real bad in regard to surge. My wife's uncle lives in Pawleys Island just south of MB and he just finished redoing house after last storm a couple years ago. But he lives 25 feet from the water.

wcugrad95
September 12th, 2018, 12:57 PM
WCU @ Gardner-Webb moved up to Friday at 6:00 PM in Boiling Springs, NC.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dm6TkUiX0AASFlC.jpg

Reign of Terrier
September 12th, 2018, 01:02 PM
Still more than North Dakota:D

Daytripper
September 12th, 2018, 01:03 PM
Darwin's natural selection will take care of this...

"MSNBC spoke to a North Carolina resident on Wednesday who said that she was not obeying a mandatory hurricane evacuation because there is “strength in numbers.”
Just hours before Hurricane Florence is set to strike the Carolinas, MSNBC’s Kerry Sanders spoke to a woman named Katie who lives in Carolina Beach, North Carolina with her three children."

ST_Lawson
September 12th, 2018, 01:10 PM

"MSNBC spoke to a North Carolina resident on Wednesday who said that she was not obeying a mandatory hurricane evacuation because there is “strength in numbers.”
Just hours before Hurricane Florence is set to strike the Carolinas, MSNBC’s Kerry Sanders spoke to a woman named Katie who lives in Carolina Beach, North Carolina with her three children."

"strength in numbers"?...numbers of what...floating dead bodies? Unless you are physically unable to do so, I'd get the heck out of there.

wcugrad95
September 12th, 2018, 01:10 PM

Yep - numbers like 130 MPH winds and 30-40 inches of rain. Those are definitely strong numbers.

JSUSoutherner
September 12th, 2018, 01:18 PM
Yep - numbers like 130 MPH winds and 30-40 inches of rain. Those are definitely strong numbers.
Ehh... It's already rained a **** ton here in the SE this year. What's another 30 inches? xlolx

ASU33
September 12th, 2018, 01:20 PM
I'm asking if there's even a possibility of Atlanta getting cancelled. I would assume a dome and that far in land, that it is close to a zero chance, but idk.

It's been business as usual here in Atlanta.

RootinFerDukes
September 12th, 2018, 01:21 PM

They need to set a deadline for these evacuations and charge them with child neglect if they don’t leave and have the realistic means to do so.

CHIP72
September 12th, 2018, 01:23 PM

Beat me to it.

Bisonoline
September 12th, 2018, 01:24 PM

The ignorance of some is astounding.

Southern Bison
September 12th, 2018, 01:26 PM
You have to understand that people have an irrational hatred for Tru that ultimately stems from politics and that triggers some sensitivity for some reasonThere's a big difference between disagreeing on politics & him being an asshole on here & real life. I'll be civil with people I disagree with...not with an asshole of any political persuasion.

CHIP72
September 12th, 2018, 01:27 PM
Ehh... It's already rained a **** ton here in the SE this year. What's another 30 inches? xlolx

Ironically, much of South Carolina has been drier than average this summer, unlike most areas in the eastern U.S. If there is a small, saving grace with this storm, it’s that it appears it will bring much of its heaviest rain to an area that doesn’t already have saturated ground and probably can absorb some of the rain a little better than other areas. Of course, the core areas impacted by this storm will probably eventually receive too much rain for the soil to handle, no matter how dry it was prior to the storm.

Bisonoline
September 12th, 2018, 01:30 PM
There's a big difference between disagreeing on politics & him being an asshole on here & real life. I'll be civil with people I disagree with...not with an asshole of any political persuasion.

We have a good bingo. Again the the idiots of liberalism get it wrong. They think our angst is because of their political views. When in fact its because they are a continual asshole 24/7 when presenting those views and just being a troll to get responses and arguments. When their main purpose is to be a dick hatred towards them is not irrational.

Hey did you here that Chuck Schumer said the hurricane is Trumps fault???

Derby City Duke
September 12th, 2018, 01:38 PM
Don't wish this storm on anybody; selfishly speaking, my wife and family pitched in together for air fare, hotel, game tickets for the entire O's - ChiSox series -- a surprise birthday present.

Friday seat behind home plate about 10 rows up; about 12 rows behind the O's dugout for Sunday. My nephew has the Saturday tix, so unsure of the location.

Last time I saw the O's was September 1983, also known as the last time they were relevant. Never been to Camden Yards so this is a 'bucket list' item for me -- even if the team sucks sewer water.

Godspeed and safety to all in the path of Florence. xsalutex

PAllen
September 12th, 2018, 01:45 PM
Ironically, much of South Carolina has been drier than average this summer, unlike most areas in the eastern U.S. If there is a small, saving grace with this storm, it’s that it appears it will bring much of its heaviest rain to an area that doesn’t already have saturated ground and probably can absorb some of the rain a little better than other areas. Of course, the core areas impacted by this storm will probably eventually receive too much rain for the soil to handle, no matter how dry it was prior to the storm.

So it's SC's fault!! Funny thing about weather averages, the longer you're in a drought, the more rain you get when it ends.

Reign of Terrier
September 12th, 2018, 01:45 PM
We have a good bingo. Again the the idiots of liberalism get it wrong. They think our angst is because of their political views. When in fact its because they are a continual asshole 24/7 when presenting those views and just being a troll to get responses and arguments. When their main purpose is to be a dick hatred towards them is not irrational.

Hey did you here that Chuck Schumer said the hurricane is Trumps fault???

I'd have a bingo for your posts, but the game would only last three rounds because all you do name call, post emojis, and whine

PAllen
September 12th, 2018, 01:48 PM
Don't wish this storm on anybody; selfishly speaking, my wife and family pitched in together for air fare, hotel, game tickets for the entire O's - ChiSox series -- a surprise birthday present.

Friday seat behind home plate about 10 rows up; about 12 rows behind the O's dugout for Sunday. My nephew has the Saturday tix, so unsure of the location.

Last time I saw the O's was September 1983, also known as the last time they were relevant. Never been to Camden Yards so this is a 'bucket list' item for me -- even if the team sucks sewer water.

Not really a bad seat in the house, but you've got some great ones. Don't judge the crab cakes too harshly as everything down there is ballpark/tourist food. Be sure to head over to Vaccaros in little italy for dessert at least once or twice. You won't regret the walk.

BisonTru
September 12th, 2018, 01:50 PM
The ignorance of some is astounding.

xcoffeex

ElCid
September 12th, 2018, 01:51 PM

Where I am we got 27 inches in May, another 15 or so in June, July and August were tame at 6 or so. I think we got over 3 inches yesterday alone. I love living in a rain forest. Since we are in the land of waterfalls, it is actually really nice after a storm to go see my favorite waterfalls in full flood.

ElCid
September 12th, 2018, 01:53 PM

We went down to the low country a couple weeks ago and I thought it looked kind of peeky. Cotton wasn't nearly as big as it should have been.

Go Green
September 12th, 2018, 02:02 PM
Not really a bad seat in the house, but you've got some great ones. Don't judge the crab cakes too harshly as everything down there is ballpark/tourist food. Be sure to head over to Vaccaros in little italy for dessert at least once or twice. You won't regret the walk.

Really a shame that Geppi's Entertainment Museum and the Baltimore Sports Museum (both of which were right next to Camden Yards) closed in the past two years. You could make an entire day at Camden Yards that way.

One tourist attraction not too far from the stadium-- Babe Ruth's birthplace. https://baberuthmuseum.org/ It's only a few blocks away from Camden Yards, and they transferred a lot of stuff from the BSM (including the Orioles' 1983 WS championship trophy) over to it.

Have fun!!

Lehigh Football Nation
September 12th, 2018, 02:08 PM
Furman/Colgate has just been cancelled.

ElCid
September 12th, 2018, 02:10 PM

Yup canx outright. Furman said they will look for opponent on their 6 Oct open date.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 12th, 2018, 02:13 PM

Sucks for Colgate. Another 10 game schedule for the Raiders.

Winterborn
September 12th, 2018, 02:25 PM
Still more than North Dakota:D

We can't help it that mother nature has an immigration policy up here. She doesn't let just anybody live here, first you have to pass the exam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWHJIoKyFiQ

Go Green
September 12th, 2018, 02:26 PM
Sucks for Colgate. Another 10 game schedule for the Raiders.

Given the state of PL football thus far in 2018, I will be shocked if Colgate is not in the playoffs this season.

Laker
September 12th, 2018, 02:32 PM
We can't help it that mother nature has an immigration policy up here. She doesn't let just anybody live here, first you have to pass the exam.

Looked like a nice day. I can remember not being able to see a darn thing on a familiar road- having to open my door to see how close I was to the ditch. Usually I was too far to the left. I don't start out in weather like that, but sometimes when you are on the road you get caught when it comes up suddenly.

Laker
September 12th, 2018, 02:32 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dm6rPRqX0AEu3VL.jpg

Bisonoline
September 12th, 2018, 02:36 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWHJIoKyFiQ

Oh so true. Natures own little filter.

Winterborn
September 12th, 2018, 02:41 PM
Looked like a nice day. I can remember not being able to see a darn thing on a familiar road- having to open my door to see how close I was to the ditch. Usually I was too far to the left. I don't start out in weather like that, but sometimes when you are on the road you get caught when it comes up suddenly.

Yup. A normal day can suddenly go bad if the wind pickups. It only gets worse at night when your lights start reflecting off the blowing snow. I remember dad driving many times with only his clearance lights (for the brake lights) on and no headlights.

ElCid
September 12th, 2018, 02:43 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dm6rPRqX0AEu3VL.jpg

I think they may rethink some of those up in VA.

aceinthehole
September 12th, 2018, 02:55 PM
I think they may rethink some of those up in VA.

Problem is the State of Virginia has already declared an emergency - it is very unlikely many schools will want to send their teams there either by bus or plane.

See SFU-Richmond.

CHIP72
September 12th, 2018, 02:56 PM

Nice seats. I think my favorite seats at OPACY are directly in front of the press box in the lower level.

I think there are still some good crabcake places near OPACY, though I haven’t gone to any of them for a number of years. (I typically buy food and drink at the vendors set outside OPACY, especially those near Pickles Pub beyond the LF corner, and them take my food inside.)

ST_Lawson
September 12th, 2018, 02:57 PM
I know it's not really football, but it's related to this thread.

Cubs are currently scheduled to go back to DC for a makeup game from last week that was cancelled. I was initially worried about that, but it looks like they might be safe.
Also tomorrow: A's at Orioles (Baltimore)
And Friday: White Sox at Orioles (Baltimore), Nationals at Braves (Atlanta)
Those look to be the only games that might be impacted by hurricane-related weather, since there aren't really any MLB teams in the Carolinas or Virginia (although the Nationals are nearly Virginia).

Baltimore and DC might get some of the outer bands of rain, but not much else.

CHIP72
September 12th, 2018, 02:57 PM

There are a few mediocre seats; specifically those are the seats in the lower level down the LF and RF lines that are pointed towards the outfield rather than home plate.

JSUSoutherner
September 12th, 2018, 03:16 PM
The forecast for me this weekend.

Georgia will be fine.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180912/03d35eeb4491742023d5e1570610e663.jpg

Reign of Terrier
September 12th, 2018, 03:20 PM
Here in columbia, looks like I'm gonna be rained on pretty bad. Not category 4 bad, but "ugh this is inconvenient" bad

The Cats
September 12th, 2018, 03:30 PM
The Western Carolina at Gardner-Webb game has been moved to Friday night, September 14, 2018, at 6pm!

Laker
September 12th, 2018, 03:42 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dm6Hg9yUwAA0x3a.jpg

JSUSoutherner
September 12th, 2018, 03:43 PM

Booo.

Laker
September 12th, 2018, 03:44 PM
Coastal Carolina leads Campbell 52 to 21 late in the 4th. They moved the game up- admission was free.

ASU33
September 12th, 2018, 04:41 PM

Georgia will be fine.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180912/03d35eeb4491742023d5e1570610e663.jpg

The same here in Marietta. I did see a lot of North Carolina and South Carolina plates on 285 and 75 this evening.

Milktruck74
September 12th, 2018, 04:41 PM

I prefer the Florence from the Jefferson's and the "Moving on up to the east coast" tag.

Milktruck74
September 12th, 2018, 04:45 PM
Initially I was thinking they just need to play in the elements....but the reality is these games:
1. require a police presence and first responders (that may need to be elsewhere)
2. Put extra cars on the road with people traveling to and from
3. Take up hotel rooms (fans and teams) that could be used for evacuees.

So while this sucks, it is the right thing to do....and as a Football Fan, I was rewarded with a Wednesday 2pm game....yeah, it wasn't that good, but when is the last time you could play hookie from work and watch a little mid week football?

CHIP72
September 12th, 2018, 05:04 PM
I prefer the Florence from the Jefferson's and the "Moving on up to the east coast" tag.

That will be Hurricane Marla.

Personally, I think they should save that for Hurricane Weezy.

ST_Lawson
September 12th, 2018, 05:48 PM
Initially I was thinking they just need to play in the elements....but the reality is these games:
1. require a police presence and first responders (that may need to be elsewhere)

So while this sucks, it is the right thing to do....and as a Football Fan, I was rewarded with a Wednesday 2pm game....yeah, it wasn't that good, but when is the last time you could play hookie from work and watch a little mid week football?

Easy...just root for a MAC team xlolx

You're absolutely right though. Football games take resources, and those resources could be better used to help with the hurricane situation.

walliver
September 12th, 2018, 07:38 PM

Weather forecasts like this generally ignore hurricanes - essentially they all assume there is no hurricane coming close.
I just checked the forecast for Lumberton (in the heart of the cone, but fortunately 80 miles inland) and the forecast is for a breezy day with a chance of late thunderstorms. Sounds quite pleasant doesn't it. ... Actually we expect 10-20 inches of rain and flooding, but it doesn't show up on the forecast.

Go...gate
September 12th, 2018, 08:00 PM

For cripes sakes!!!

Go...gate
September 12th, 2018, 08:02 PM

Amen.

JSUSoutherner
September 12th, 2018, 08:53 PM
Weather forecasts like this generally ignore hurricanes - essentially they all assume there is no hurricane coming close.
I just checked the forecast for Lumberton (in the heart of the cone, but fortunately 80 miles inland) and the forecast is for a breezy day with a chance of late thunderstorms. Sounds quite pleasant doesn't it. ... Actually we expect 10-20 inches of rain and flooding, but it doesn't show up on the forecast.
I'm also 200 miles from the nearest coast so it will break up and be North of me anyway.

Keeper
September 13th, 2018, 03:06 AM
That blows. It was damn near a free W for Elon to pad the season for the playoffs and now they have to find a way to go a minimum of 7-3 in order to make the playoffs, which with @JMU, @Maine, @Delaware, Richmond, and potentially RI, (I know that's weird to say), that is not an easy schedule by any means.

EASY FIX = Have Rhode Island switch the W&M and Elon dates. Elon could then play URI Oct 27th, and Elon/W&M play Nov3rd.

MacThor
September 13th, 2018, 03:29 AM
Well that settles it...Wake Forest is the toughest team in NC.

Catamount87
September 13th, 2018, 07:27 AM
Okay, so here in NC we do take hurricanes seriously, very seriously because we've seen a lot, I mean A LOT of them over the years. But when faced with such stressful events a bit of humor helps deal with the stress. Facebook has been full of funny memes, humors events, posts and such. Here's my favorite that came about once that weird curving path around NC was predicted.

How Hurricane Florence has played out on Facebook: (Copied from a friend!)

Florence: I'm coming for you.
VA & SC: Please don't
NC: Bring it

Florence: The &*%^ did you say to me?
VA & SC: NC, dude shut the &*%^ up!
NC: &*%^ that and &*%^ her windy a**. Punk a** b***h is only a CAT 3.

Florence: *powers up to CAT 4* still wanna talk s**t!?
VA & SC: ... nope, we're good
NC: Not only am I going to CONTINUE to talk s**t, we got Jim Cantore on his way and we are meme'ing the &*%^ out of you.

Florence: you have got to be kidding. Ok fine, I got something for you. *begins powering up to CAT 5*
VA & SC: ......
NC: that's cool, we already have facebook events planned such as welcoming parties, blowing all the fans at you, firing guns at you... we've cleared out ABC stores and are ready to get LIT. Bring it on turbo.

Florence: you... you guys are serious? You really aren't scared of me? But... but I.... I put so much effort into this.
VA & SC: *waiting anxiously*
NC: *chugs beer* get &*%^ed

Florence: fine, I'll leave *shifts south*
VA: *sigh of relief*
SC: God damn it NC you are the worst big brother ever!
NC: time to man up b***h, that d**n hurricane is mad.

Anyway, I hope that everyone in NC and SC stays safe and escapes this will little to no damage or loss. Prayers to everyone!

WileECoyote06
September 13th, 2018, 09:25 AM
Okay, so here in NC we do take hurricanes seriously, very seriously because we've seen a lot, I mean A LOT of them over the years. But when faced with such stressful events a bit of humor helps deal with the stress. Facebook has been full of funny memes, humors events, posts and such. Here's my favorite that came about once that weird curving path around NC was predicted.

NC: Not only am I going to CONTINUE to talk s**t, we got Jim Cantore on his way and we are meme'ing the &*%^ out of you.

Florence: you have got to be kidding. Ok fine, I got something for you. *begins powering up to CAT 5*
NC: that's cool, we already have facebook events planned such as welcoming parties, blowing all the fans at you, firing guns at you... we've cleared out ABC stores and are ready to get LIT. Bring it on turbo.

Florence: you... you guys are serious? You really aren't scared of me? But... but I.... I put so much effort into this.

Anyway, I hope that everyone in NC and SC stays safe and escapes this will little to no damage or loss. Prayers to everyone!
Saw this earlier today. and yep that's us. Might I add this beauty.

https://i.groupme.com/1866x2250.jpeg.aa545e2addd94ce2b382d3437185c0be.la rge

Catamount87
September 13th, 2018, 09:42 AM
Dang right, no one, nothing messes with Bo Time!

kdinva
September 13th, 2018, 09:47 AM
EASY FIX = Have Rhode Island switch the W&M and Elon dates. Elon could then play URI Oct 27th, and Elon/W&M play Nov 3rd.

xthumbsupx xawesomexxhandshakex

MarkCCU
September 13th, 2018, 09:51 AM

True...goddamn pig farmers screwing us.

Be safe everyone. My folks in Charleston are riding out b/c....well I don't know. My dad is in the middle of chemo for cancer and maybe he thinks he'll be fine even though his neighborhood will flood and he'll be stuck for days but whatever...baby boomers.

Here's to riding it out in the Upstate. Mrs and Lil CCU just left to be with her folks so i'm holding down the fort until Monday on my own.

SO...Hurricane Party in Charlotte

CHIP72
September 13th, 2018, 09:52 AM
Hey, you guys (and gals) need to go read my “Fried Chicken Taste Test” thread I posted in the off-topic board last November after my brother and I did a sampling of Bojangles, Popeyes, and Church’s all at the same time! The ultimate winner was my taste buds. I love some Bojangles (I also love some Popeyes and Church’s too).

There are about a half dozen Bojangles in the DC area, and I typically stop at the one near the Beltway off of MD 450 before going to weekend Bowie Baysox (Double A minor league baseball team) or Navy football or basketball games. (Unfortunately I can’t go there on Saturday prior to the Lehigh/Navy game because I’ll be coming straight from the Temple/Maryland game and will be tight on time.) I also sometimes will stop at the only Bojangles north of the Mason-Dixon Line, in Reading, PA, when I’m driving from the DC area to go visit the family in the Lehigh Valley (Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton area; FWIW Lehigh is in Bethlehem and Lafayette is in Easton).

Milktruck74
September 13th, 2018, 09:58 AM
BoJ is still tops, but getting rid of the "spicy" chicken was a bad move!!!!

MarkCCU
September 13th, 2018, 09:58 AM
Hey, you guys (and gals) need to go read my “Fried Chicken Taste Test” thread I posted in the off-topic board last November after my brother and I did a sampling of Bojangles, Popeyes, and Church’s all at the same time! The ultimate winner was my taste buds. I love some Bojangles (I also love some Popeyes and Church’s too).

There are about a half dozen Bojangles in the DC area, and I typically stop at the one near the Beltway off of MD 450 before going to weekend Bowie Baysox (Double A minor league baseball team) or Navy football or basketball games. (Unfortunately I can’t go there on Saturday prior to the Lehigh/Navy game because I’ll be coming straight from the Temple/Maryland game and will be tight on time.) I also sometimes will stop at the only Bojangles north of the Mason-Dixon Line, in Reading, PA, when I’m driving from the DC area to go visit the family in the Lehigh Valley (Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton area; FWIW Lehigh is in Bethlehem and Lafayette is in Easton).

Why no KFC?

Bo' has the best biscuits but their hashbrowns are awful. McDonald's has the best hasbrowns.

ElCid
September 13th, 2018, 10:02 AM
Down to cat 2. So wind will will not be as bad. Lots of rain for everyone and surge still for folks along coast.

What I want to know is how the track has changed 6 times in the last couple days, and every single one of them still has it coming over my house in the mountains. It hasn't deviated at all in that regard. Its like this bitch is coming for me. Luckily it will be just a bit breezy and rain by that time, but we can handle that. I just hope people are not their usual stupid selves and do dumb things when it hits. That is what usually gets them killed.

I saw the discussion on the moving the playoffs back and I just don't see it happening. If a team ends up at 7-3 with a <Div I win, but looks real good, or even 6-4 with all Div I wins, but looks dominant and finishes strong, I think the committee would rather consider that than screw up schedule. Have to see what is up in early Nov as to whether anyone fits the bill to even consider.

ElCid
September 13th, 2018, 10:04 AM
Popeyes and Bo are both good. I used to like KFC, but I can't stand them anymore. Bo has some good biscuits.

MarkCCU
September 13th, 2018, 10:04 AM
Down to cat 2. So wind will will not be as bad. Lots of rain for everyone and surge still for folks along coast.

What I want to know is how the track has changed 6 times in the last couple days, and every single one of them still has it coming over my house in the mountains. It hasn't deviated at all in that regard. Its like this bitch is coming for me. Luckily it will be just a bit breezy and rain by that time, but we can handle that. I just hope people are not their usual stupid selves and do dumb things when it hits. That is what usually gets them killed.

I saw the discussion on the moving the playoffs back and I just don't see it happening. If a team ends up at 7-3 with a <Div I win, but looks real good, or even 6-4 with all Div I wins, but looks dominant and finishes strong, I think the committee would rather consider that than screw up schedule. Have to see what is up in early Nov as to whether anyone fits the bill to even consider.ha ha. my SIL and her family left their home in Wilmington, NC for the mountain house outside of Brevard. They can't catch a break.

JSUSoutherner
September 13th, 2018, 10:05 AM
Excuse me?

Chick-Fil-a you ****ing animals.

MarkCCU
September 13th, 2018, 10:07 AM
Excuse me?

Chick-Fil-a you ****ing animals.
Chicken sandwich isn't the same as fried chicken.

ElCid
September 13th, 2018, 10:11 AM
ha ha. my SIL and her family left their home in Wilmington, NC for the mountain house outside of Brevard. They can't catch a break.

I know, but at least we are used to rain and storms. We have had 5 huge trees come down the last few weeks all on the main road to town. And every one of them took the power lines with them. 3 within a half mile of eachother. So we got new lines for good stretch of road.xrotatehx We will see pretty tame affects. Maybe some flooding along the river.

CHIP72
September 13th, 2018, 10:36 AM
Why no KFC?

Bo' has the best biscuits but their hashbrowns are awful. McDonald's has the best hasbrowns.

Because KFC is vastly inferior compared to Popeyes, Church’s, and Bojangles IMO. I prefer spicy (i.e. New Orleans-style) chicken, which the trio of chicken chains previously mentioned have and KFC does not. (Sometimes KFC’s extra crispy chicken also tastes a little odd, and their original recipe is only OK to me.)

CHIP72
September 13th, 2018, 10:43 AM
I saw the discussion on the moving the playoffs back and I just don't see it happening. If a team ends up at 7-3 with a <Div I win, but looks real good, or even 6-4 with all Div I wins, but looks dominant and finishes strong, I think the committee would rather consider that than screw up schedule. Have to see what is up in early Nov as to whether anyone fits the bill to even consider.

If there are years where the playoffs could be moved back if necessary, this would be one of them. The semifinals could still be completed before Christmas. The big issue might be whether the later, pre-championship game rounds of the playoffs could still be televised on the (I think) already-assigned ESPN channels.

Reign of Terrier
September 13th, 2018, 10:44 AM
If you don't think Bojangles is the best of the chicken and biscuits niche, you probably hate America

JSUSoutherner
September 13th, 2018, 10:50 AM
If you don't think Bojangles is the best of the chicken and biscuits niche, you probably hate America

Bojangles is mediocre at best, which I guess makes sense considering America's favorite meal is one of subpar quality.

RootinFerDukes
September 13th, 2018, 10:58 AM
It is possible to like multiple chicken fast food chains. I am capable of doing that.

Winterborn
September 13th, 2018, 10:59 AM
Bojangles is mediocre at best, which I guess makes sense considering it is the South's favorite meal is one of subpar quality.

FIFY :D

Daytripper
September 13th, 2018, 11:02 AM
Live camera off the NC coast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deG4NxkouGM

Reign of Terrier
September 13th, 2018, 11:15 AM
Bojangles is mediocre at best, which I guess makes sense considering America's favorite meal is one of subpar quality.

correct on all counts.

But Bojangles biscuits *are* the best