Go...gate
September 10th, 2018, 09:44 AM
Marist?

- - - Updated - - -

Monmouth coming back?

Lehigh Football Nation
September 10th, 2018, 09:45 AM
Delaware state?

Another possibility is a D-II move-up, like University of New Haven.

mainejeff
September 10th, 2018, 09:50 AM
NJIT

RedFlash
September 10th, 2018, 09:53 AM
Hmm .... this is interesting. Hopefully it's a football school, otherwise why go to 11 schools.

LUHawker
September 10th, 2018, 10:07 AM
Merrimack

Lehigh Football Nation
September 10th, 2018, 10:09 AM
Merrimack

Merrimack is going to be the NEC's 11th member and they field a football team. That's good news for the Northeast. Glad to see.

aceinthehole
September 10th, 2018, 10:13 AM
Merrimack

Bingo!

aceinthehole
September 10th, 2018, 10:18 AM
Somerset, NJ -- Merrimack College has accepted an invitation from the Northeast Conference’s Council of Presidents to become the league’s 11th member, it was announced today by NEC Commissioner Noreen Morris.

Merrimack, located in Andover and North Andover, Massachusetts, will become a full member of the conference in 2023-24 upon completion of its four-year NCAA Division I reclassification period.

“We are thrilled to welcome Merrimack College to the Northeast Conference family!” Morris said. “From the outset it was extremely evident that President Hopey and the entire campus community had a clear vision to elevate the academic and athletic profile of Merrimack College. With increased investment in resources, capital improvements and personnel, that vision has become a reality with Merrimack’s most successful competitive season in 2017-18 and the college’s largest incoming freshman class ever entering in the Fall 2018. We are very excited that the NEC will be the future home of the Warriors!”

Twenty-two of Merrimack’s 24 teams currently compete at the NCAA Division II level. Men’s and women’s ice hockey currently compete as Division I programs and will remain in Hockey East.

“The College’s 2011 strategic plan, the Agenda for Distinction, called for Merrimack College to become a Division I institution to compete and excel at the highest level,” said college President Christopher E. Hopey, Ph.D. “We are pleased that our record of achievement and growth has resulted in this invitation to compete in the NEC and partner with its outstanding member institutions.”

Merrimack’s Director of Athletics, Jeremy Gibson, also expressed his excitement.

“Our student-athletes have enjoyed tremendous success academically and athletically. We are thrilled that they will have the opportunity to pursue excellence through membership in the Northeast Conference, and that our entire community will experience the excitement of Division I athletics across all of our program,” he said.

Nicknamed the Warriors for the college’s founding to educate World War II veterans, Merrimack has been a member of the Northeast-10 Conference since 1984. From a competitive standpoint, Merrimack enjoyed its most successful year ever in 2017-18, highlighted by winning the NCAA DII men’s lacrosse national championship and three NE10 championships (baseball, men’s lacrosse and men’s soccer). Likewise, seven teams qualified for the NCAA tournament (baseball, men’s basketball, men’s cross country, men’s lacrosse, men’s soccer, softball, men’s tennis) in their respective sports, a school record.

Merrimack won the 2017-18 NE10 Presidents’ Cup, awarded annually to the top athletics program among the 15 member institutions that make up the conference. The Warriors also finished 44th out of 268 schools in the Learfield Director’s Cup standings.

Merrimack offers a broad-based athletic program, fielding 10 men’s and 14 women’s sports teams. Sports sponsorship at Merrimack includes baseball, men’s and women’s basketball, men’s and women’s cross country, field hockey, football, women’s golf, men’s and women’s ice hockey, men’s and women’s lacrosse, women’s rowing, men’s and women’s soccer, softball, women’s swimming and diving, men’s and women’s tennis, men’s and women’s indoor and outdoor track and field, and women’s volleyball. Merrimack will sponsor 21 of the NEC’s 23 sports in 2019-20, the only exceptions being men’s golf and women’s bowling.

Merrimack will be incorporated as fully as possible into NEC athletic schedules beginning with the 2019-20 season. During its reclassification Merrimack will be able to participate in NEC championships in NCAA non-automatic qualifier sports (cross country, swimming and diving, and indoor and outdoor track and field) only.

“Congratulations to President Hopey and the entire Merrimack community on joining the Northeast Conference,” said Saint Francis University President and Chair of the NEC Presidents Council Fr. Malachi Van Tassell, T.O.R., Ph.D. “We are excited to welcome our newest member at this exciting time in conference history, and are very pleased they accepted our invitation. The Warriors will enhance the level of competition and bring a new dimension to the league. Merrimack is a perfect fit for the Northeast Conference.”

The NEC is expanding for the first time since 2012 when Bryant was added to the membership. Fairleigh Dickinson, LIU Brooklyn, Robert Morris, St. Francis Brooklyn, Saint Francis U and Wagner are charter NEC members. Mount St. Mary’s was admitted in 1989, Central Connecticut in 1997, Sacred Heart in 1999 and Bryant in 2012.

A formal media availability and campus celebration will be hosted by Merrimack College in its basketball arena at the Merrimack Athletics Complex at 11:30 a.m. on Thursday, September 13.

http://northeastconference.org/news/2018/9/7/GEN_Merrimack_Joins_NEC_18.aspx

Derby City Duke
September 10th, 2018, 10:29 AM
I was thinking YSU...xcoffeex

Laker
September 10th, 2018, 10:38 AM
NJIT

That was my guess until I saw the article that it was Merrimack. Already D1 for hockey.

Laker
September 10th, 2018, 10:40 AM
Delaware state?

Another possibility is a D-II move-up, like University of New Haven.

You were half right. I wonder if there will be more moves soon.

TheKingpin28
September 10th, 2018, 10:40 AM
I was thinking YSU...xcoffeexYou read my mind, only difference was I was hoping for this.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Original_RMC
September 10th, 2018, 10:58 AM
https://merrimackathletics.com/news/2018/9/9/athletic-department-merrimack-college-accepts-invitation-to-join-northeast-conference.aspx

HailSzczur
September 10th, 2018, 11:02 AM
Welcome to the big leauges Auggie bros!

aceinthehole
September 10th, 2018, 11:06 AM
Rumor has it, that LIU-Post (formerly known as C.W. Post), has been inquiring about D-I athletics and NEC membership. They have a strong D-II athletic program (with football) and would be a decent addition. I'm just not sure if private Long Island University (www.liu.edu (http://www.liu.edu)) has a strategic plan that includes both campuses as D-I members in the same league.

Long Island University (LIU) was founded in 1926 in Brooklyn, N.Y., under the guiding principle of educating and empowering men and women from all walks of life. LIU has grown into one of the nation’s largest private Universities, and remains committed to the educational needs and interests of its diverse student body. LIU offers more than 500 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral degree programs and certificates, educating more than 20,000 students each year across multiple campuses. The University continuously strives to cultivate and expand academic, professional, artistic, and co-curricular opportunities.

The university expanded in 1951, when it purchased the estate of Marjorie Merriweather Post to better meet the educational needs of the growing number of families moving to the suburbs. Just 27 miles east of New York City on Long Island’s idyllic Gold Coast, LIU Post (http://www.liu.edu/CWPost) is a scenic, historic, and scholarly campus that offers a small-school environment, but with the access and resources of a major metropolitan university. LIU Post offers more than 200 undergraduate, graduate, doctoral, and certificate programs. The campus is a leader in cultivating entrepreneurial spirit in our students through a fee-based student consultancy with real corporate clients, a high-tech startup incubator, and student-run businesses that include a fashion boutique, a PR and marketing firm, and a sports lounge. LIU Post’s 320-acre grounds are home to the world-renowned Tilles Center for the Performing Arts and the Bethpage Federal Credit Union Stadium, where students, alumni, family, and friends gather to cheer on the Pioneers’ top ranked NCAA Division II athletics programs.

LIU Brooklyn (http://www.liu.edu/brooklyn) continues to enable students to realize their full potential as ethically grounded, intellectually vigorous, and socially responsible global citizens. The campus offers more professional programs in health care than any other single campus in the New York metropolitan area, including the Arnold and Marie Schwartz College of Pharmacy & Health Science. The Harriet Rothkopf Heilbrunn School of Nursing (the only university-based academic nursing center in Brooklyn) boasts a state-of the-art simulation learning laboratory, made possible through a generous gift from the Heilbrunn family, where nursing students actively participate in intensive immersion learning scenarios. LIU Brooklyn is also home to Kumble Theater for the Performing Arts, a dynamic performance venue designed to nourish students’ artistic exploration while providing the community with greater access to an exciting range of professional performances.

Another NE-10 member, Bentley University, has also been exploring reclassification to D-I. They play football and D-I Ice Hockey, just like Merrimack. They certainly fit the mold of recent league expansions (SHU, Quinnipiac, Bryant, and Merrimack).

Some years ago there were rumored discussion between the NEC and Delaware State. Not sure if the current leadership at DSU or the NEC have any mutual interest anymore.

Schools most likely not being considered or previously rejected: NJIT and Saint Vincent College (Pa)

Go...gate
September 10th, 2018, 11:17 AM
Caldwell (NJ) University also came to mind.

dbackjon
September 10th, 2018, 11:30 AM
NJIT as 12th?

wapiti
September 10th, 2018, 11:36 AM
I first thought Lehigh was moving up to a more competitive conference.

Good for NEC to get the "happy macks" to be part of their fold.
I hope it works well for both the conference and the new team.

ccd494
September 10th, 2018, 11:42 AM
NJIT as 12th?

A few years ago NJIT made presentations to the NEC and America East. The presentation to America East, at least, was reportedly an abject disaster that set back any league interest in adding NJIT by decades. I don't think either of the (on the surface) plausible northeast leagues have any inclination towards NJIT at all.

DFW HOYA
September 10th, 2018, 11:59 AM
Some years ago there were rumored discussion between the NEC and Delaware State. Not sure if the current leadership at DSU or the NEC have any mutual interest anymore.

Del State should be watching how Hampton fares in the Big South.

aceinthehole
September 10th, 2018, 12:12 PM
A few years ago NJIT made presentations to the NEC and America East. The presentation to America East, at least, was reportedly an abject disaster that set back any league interest in adding NJIT by decades. I don't think either of the (on the surface) plausible northeast leagues have any inclination towards NJIT at all.

Correct. Merrimack will sponsor 21 of the NEC's 23 sports in 2019-20, the only exceptions being men's golf and women's bowling.

NJIT's heavy-male enrollment and sports sponsorship is not appealing to the NEC at all. They won't receive an invite anytime in the future.

New NEC members will continue to come from D-II NE-10 or similar profiles (small, private with FB/Lax), unless they can steal an existing D-I member like DSU or Howard.

aceinthehole
September 10th, 2018, 12:43 PM
Leading candidates for further NEC expansion:

Bentley (NE-10) - Football, Field Hockey; M/W Lax; D-I Men's Ice Hockey (Atlantic Hockey)
Private university, focused on business majors, located outside of Boston; 4,000 undergrads
www.bentleyfalcons.com (http://www.bentleyfalcons.com)

LIU-Post (ECC/NE-10 Football affiliate) Football, M/W Lax
Private university located on North Shore of Long Island; 5,000 undergraduates
www.liupostpioneers.com (http://www.liupostpioneers.com/)

Mercyhurst (PSAC) - Football; Field Hockey; M/W Lax; D-I M/W Ice Hockey (Atlantic Hockey/CHA)
Catholic, liberal arts university located in Erie, Pa.; 4,400 undergraduates
www.hurstathletics.com (https://hurstathletics.com/index.aspx)

NHwildEcat
September 10th, 2018, 12:57 PM
Do you think their only expansion target for a 12th would have to field a football team? Or might they look for a school in proximity to Merrimack that fields all but a football team?

Leading candidates for further NEC expansion:

Bentley (NE-10) - Football, Field Hockey; M/W Lax; D-I Men's Ice Hockey (Atlantic Hockey)
Private university, focused on business majors, located outside of Boston; 4,000 undergrads
www.bentleyfalcons.com (http://www.bentleyfalcons.com)

LIU-Post (ECC/NE-10 Football affiliate) Football, M/W Lax
Private university located on North Shore of Long Island; 5,000 undergraduates
www.liupostpioneers.com (http://www.liupostpioneers.com/)

Mercyhurst (PSAC) - Football; Field Hockey; M/W Lax; D-I M/W Ice Hockey (Atlantic Hockey/CHA)
Catholic, liberal arts university located in Erie, Pa.; 4,400 undergraduates
www.hurstathletics.com (https://hurstathletics.com/index.aspx)

aceinthehole
September 10th, 2018, 01:48 PM
Do you think their only expansion target for a 12th would have to field a football team? Or might they look for a school in proximity to Merrimack that fields all but a football team?

They won't try to find a 12th member just based on proximity to Merrimack and yes, I think football is a priority.

Merrimack was the best positioned NE-10 school to move to D-I. They had the correct institutional support, funding, and facilities. The fit the NEC profile like a glove. This was really a no brainer for most members.

There is still the possibility than a NEC team is headed for the exits. Robert Morris (Horizon) and Wagner (MAAC) have had conversations with other league recently, but I'm not sure if those moves are likely. Since joining D-I in 1986, CCSU has had its eye on joining the regional public universities (now America East), but the interest hasn't always mutual - plus, post-Monmouth there is the question of what could happen to football.

Many other NE-10 schools have shown an open interest in D-I, specifically Bentley. If I were to set odds on the next NEC member, there is 75% chance they are currently a member of the NE-10.

If they really wanted to bolster the Western PA schools (RMU and SFU), I would look closely at Mercyhurst and Gannon, two private schools with football in the PSAC. However, I think the rest of the league would likely push for members further East.

ColonialInsider
September 10th, 2018, 01:57 PM
They won't try to find a 12th member just based on proximity to Merrimack and yes, I think football is a priority.

Merrimack was the best positioned NE-10 school to move to D-I. They had the correct institutional support, funding, and facilities. The fit the NEC profile like a glove. This was really a no brainer for most members.

There is still the possibility than a NEC team is headed for the exits. Robert Morris (Horizon) and Wagner (MAAC) have had conversations with other league recently, but I'm not sure if those moves are likely. Since joining D-I in 1986, CCSU has had its eye on joining the regional public universities (now America East), but the interest hasn't always mutual - plus, post-Monmouth there is the question of what could happen to football.

Many other NE-10 schools have shown an open interest in D-I, specifically Bentley. If I were to set odds on the next NEC member, there is 75% chance they are currently a member of the NE-10.

If they really wanted to bolster the Western PA schools (RMU and SFU), I would look closely at Mercyhurst and Gannon, two private schools with football in the PSAC. However, I think the rest of the league would likely push for members further East.
Another school in New England would definitely ruffle the feathers of Robert Morris and St. Francis, as well as Mount St. Mary's in basketball. Howard or Delaware State would help mitigate that to some degree.

Mercyhurst and Gannon fit the profile of NEC schools on the outside, but they do not have the desire to move up like Merrimack did. They also tend to move in tandem, so it'd be hard to see one move without the other.

NHwildEcat
September 10th, 2018, 02:00 PM

I've never been all that impressed with Merrimack's facilities - although I do believe they have been working to upgrade them and I can honestly only say I have been in their ice rink - which is irrelevant to this move.

I was asking if it would be football specific because my alma mater, SNHU is a member of the NE10 and we don't have a football program. However, I think we fit pretty well within the conference footprint of the NEC. However, I don't think the administration feels DI would be worth the move. School has two sports with national prominence in DII, and many more regionally in most other sports. With Merrimack now leaving, the NE10 is down to 14 schools - so a Bentley move would hurt the foundation of the conference even further.

MR. CHICKEN
September 10th, 2018, 02:12 PM
.....C'MON CHRISSI.........SKED MERRIMACK QUIK-LAH......B/4..........DEY GET......FULL STRENGTH........AWK!!

aceinthehole
September 10th, 2018, 02:14 PM
Another school in New England would definitely ruffle the feathers of Robert Morris and St. Francis, as well as Mount St. Mary's in basketball. Howard or Delaware State would help mitigate that to some degree.

Mercyhurst and Gannon fit the profile of NEC schools on the outside, but they do not have the desire to move up like Merrimack did. They also tend to move in tandem, so it'd be hard to see one move without the other.

IMO - Delaware State or Howard would be a nice coup for the league. They aren't pwoerhouse programs (and certainly have budgetary issues), but getting a existing D-I program and andding the HBCU factor has some appeal. NEC offers both schools some more exposure in NYC/Northeast corridor. Not sure if it it is in the cards, but something the NEC should explore.

Don't know much about Mercyhurst/Gannon other than their profile, but if the DI interest/budget isn't there it is a moot point.

Do you know of any public PSAC schools looking to make the move to D-I?

Lehigh Football Nation
September 10th, 2018, 02:18 PM

A while ago California (PA) and IUP were thinking about moving to Division I. IUP I think had designs on the CAA, and I don't know where California (PA) sits anymore on the issue.

The PSAC schools in general are suffering from some serious enrollment issues, so I don't know how viable a move-up is anymore.

aceinthehole
September 10th, 2018, 02:21 PM
I've never been all that impressed with Merrimack's facilities - although I do believe they have been working to upgrade them and I can honestly only say I have been in their ice rink - which is irrelevant to this move.

I was asking if it would be football specific because my alma mater, SNHU is a member of the NE10 and we don't have a football program. However, I think we fit pretty well within the conference footprint of the NEC. However, I don't think the administration feels DI would be worth the move. School has two sports with national prominence in DII, and many more regionally in most other sports. With Merrimack now leaving, the NE10 is down to 14 schools - so a Bentley move would hurt the foundation of the conference even further.

Again, I think football is a priority for the league, but not a requirement. I don't think SNHU is ready or willing to make the move; and I doubt the NEC is interested. Adelphi would probably make a better option for a non-football school.

NHwildEcat
September 10th, 2018, 02:29 PM
Again, I think football is a priority for the league, but not a requirement. I don't think SNHU is ready or willing to make the move; and I doubt the NEC is interested. Adelphi would probably make a better option for a non-football school.

Football drives the bus, right?! Makes sense.

SNHU, according to an interaction with the AD today, is content with being a top program in DII. Facilities are top notch, better than Merrimack's I would say but I don't think we want to be punching bags to the established DI programs. Always fun to think. I love alignment talk.

ColonialInsider
September 10th, 2018, 02:34 PM
IMO - Delaware State or Howard would be a nice coup for the league. They aren't pwoerhouse programs (and certainly have budgetary issues), but getting a existing D-I program and andding the HBCU factor has some appeal. NEC offers both schools some more exposure in NYC/Northeast corridor. Not sure if it it is in the cards, but something the NEC should explore.

Don't know much about Mercyhurst/Gannon other than their profile, but if the DI interest/budget isn't there it is a moot point.

Edinboro has had some serious finance and administration issues. Clarion isn't competitive. Slippery Rock is middle of the road.

Cal has a new convocation center and basketball arena, and the women's basketball team won a national title a few years ago. The football team has some ups and downs, but it's produced a few NFL players.

IUP has the best athletic profile. Both basketball teams are nationally competitive at the D-2 level and the school has a tradition of churning out competitive teams/players in individual sports like golf. IUP football is usually pretty competitive. The school also built a new convocation center/basketball arena a few years ago.

IUP would make the most sense - Cal has had some administrative issues and has had some highly publicized incidents involving athletes in the past five years.

I'd be curious to see the reaction from RMU and SFU. Despite being D2, IUP is considered a regional rival when it comes to recruiting for football and general population students. Adding the school to the NEC would only intensify that. Maybe they'd embrace it, or maybe RMU and SFU would prefer to have the D1 status preserved and would rather a Maryland/DC school join.

Go...gate
September 10th, 2018, 02:36 PM
And the Patriot League remains with the "Iron Five" plus two Associate Members for football.

ColonialInsider
September 10th, 2018, 03:02 PM
And the Patriot League remains with the "Iron Five" plus two Associate Members for football.
The Patriot League's academic restrictions make it tough for any school to be a candidate

Robert Morris, for example, would be a fantastic addition from an athletic standpoint. Recently competitive in basketball, formerly competitive and rebuilding football, solid facilities that will get even better with new basketball arena. But the school's overall academic profile doesn't match that of the Patriot League members.

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 10th, 2018, 03:08 PM
At least, they have football.

Otherwise, it is just a long trip for my Red Flash. Not thrilled with the addition.

RootinFerDukes
September 10th, 2018, 03:14 PM
So how are athletic programs required to house their football in D1, at least the FCS level, in order for their other sports to also remain D1, but then schools are allowed to have their hockey, lacrosse, etc be D1, but not all sports.

Part of why pioneer teams are "D1" football but offer no scholarships is due to this rule that their football be D1 supposedly. Then you have Johns Hopkins be D3 in all sports but D1 in lacrosse. You have many schools with D1 hockey but lower division other sports.

It all makes no sense. Let each school compete with each sport in whatever division they want. It would frankly help to curb a lot of the athletics costs by not forcing schools to have to have minimum scholarship levels to remain in a certain division.

dbackjon
September 10th, 2018, 03:15 PM

CCSU is very much a fish out of water in the NEC - only public school, largest school (only LIU-Brooklyn is even close). AE and NEC should swap Hartford for CCSU

dbackjon
September 10th, 2018, 03:20 PM
So how are athletic programs required to house their football in D1, at least the FCS level, in order for their other sports to also remain D1, but then schools are allowed to have their hockey, lacrosse, etc be D1, but not all sports.

Part of why pioneer teams are "D1" football but offer no scholarships is due to this rule that their football be D1 supposedly. Then you have Johns Hopkins be D3 in all sports but D1 in lacrosse. You have many schools with D1 hockey but lower division other sports.

It all makes no sense. Let each school compete with each sport in whatever division they want. It would frankly help to curb a lot of the athletics costs by not forcing schools to have to have minimum scholarship levels to remain in a certain division.

Basketball is the driver - if you compete at DI in basketball, all sports MUST be DI. Makes sense, since DI basketball is the golden goose.

Some sports don't have championships at DII or DIII - Hockey has DI and DIII championships, so it is a combined DI/DII sport.

DIII teams used to be able to place one sport in DI (plus women's sport) but that is not allowed any more, though existing teams are grandfathered in.

NHwildEcat
September 10th, 2018, 03:32 PM
Basketball is the driver - if you compete at DI in basketball, all sports MUST be DI. Makes sense, since DI basketball is the golden goose.

Some sports don't have championships at DII or DIII - Hockey has DI and DIII championships, so it is a combined DI/DII sport.

DIII teams used to be able to place one sport in DI (plus women's sport) but that is not allowed any more, though existing teams are grandfathered in.

The 7 DII hockey teams are stuck. Can't play up, can't get into the tournament in DIII. Just farting around with each other each winter. Awful.

dbackjon
September 10th, 2018, 03:40 PM
The 7 DII hockey teams are stuck. Can't play up, can't get into the tournament in DIII. Just farting around with each other each winter. Awful.

Not sure what you mean - they play in the combined division and the DII Hockey teams can do well in the combined divisions - MN-Duluth won it this year.

The NE-10 could be a DI conference in Hockey if they choose to be. Conference Carolinas sponsors Men's Volleyball, but still gets an autobid to the NCAA Championship.

NHwildEcat
September 10th, 2018, 03:54 PM
Not sure what you mean - they play in the combined division and the DII Hockey teams can do well in the combined divisions - MN-Duluth won it this year.

The NE-10 could be a DI conference in Hockey if they choose to be. Conference Carolinas sponsors Men's Volleyball, but still gets an autobid to the NCAA Championship.

The schools in the conference wouldn't be able to agree with the costs of having the entire league move up to DI. Likely 2-3 of them would prefer to drop all scholarships and play DIII. Divided group to say the least.

aceinthehole
September 10th, 2018, 04:20 PM
CCSU is very much a fish out of water in the NEC - only public school, largest school (only LIU-Brooklyn is even close). AE and NEC should swap Hartford for CCSU

Yes we are huge outlier in the NEC. The "swap" with UHa won't happen, but it sure makes sense today. However, most CCSU fans do hold out hope that we will eventually join that league.

Quick history lesson:

Back in the mid-1980s when CCSU and Hartford planned their moves up from D-II, the conference landscape was much different and each school took a different approach. CCSU had a much stronger basketball program, and probably should have moved up as early as 1967-68 (shortly after Fairfield did) and no later than 1979-80 (before the Big East). Central's academics were universally regarded as inferior (and we were a "commuter school") in comparison to the existing D-I programs in the region. Not to mention we had the beast in Storrs that dominated the State which really held us back, despite a very strong D-II athletic program all-around.

Hartford joined D-I for the 1985-86 season; Central for the 1986-87 season.
Hartford received an invite to ECAC-North; Central was denied membership to any conferences and was forced to go Independent.

In the 1984-85 season before Hartford was admitted, the ECAC-North (what is now America East) had 9 members. They were 6 privates (Boston U, Canisius, Colgate, Niagara, Northeastern, and Siena) and just 3 publics (Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont). Today, Hartford is the only private university in that conference.

CCSU first gained membership to the declining East Coast Conference for the 1990-91 season. That conference folded after just 3 more seasons and CCSU (with Buffalo and Hofstra) joined the Mid-Continent Conference (now the Summit League) for the 1994-95 season. After just 3 seasons in the Mid-Con, CCSU joined the NEC.

As for CCSU football, we have played Small College/D-II from 1935 to 1992. After the Dayton rule, we went I-AA non-scholly with the other ECAC regional schools that had to make move up. We were a founding member of NEC Football in 1996.

CCSU's history and profile is very similar to Towson and our paths have crossed in D-II and D-I. However, CCSU could never get out from under UConn's domination of State politics and funding. Maryland is a larger state by population and has found room for another comprehensive university outside of College Park. CCSU faces a lot of obstacles (history, geography, etc) that "peer schools" (former Normal Schools) like Towson, Northern Arizona, Northern Iowa, Albany, etc. have been able to overcome.

dbackjon
September 10th, 2018, 04:53 PM
Connecticut in general - about half the size of the county I live in, with less people. Yet in that area you have Central, Eastern, Western and Southern States, plus UConn. NAU and UNI don't have in-state normal school competition like that (although ASU was a normal school as well).

DFW HOYA
September 10th, 2018, 05:04 PM
CCSU's history and profile is very similar to Towson and our paths have crossed in D-II and D-I. However, CCSU could never get out from under UConn's domination of State politics and funding. Maryland is a larger state by population and has found room for another comprehensive university outside of College Park. CCSU faces a lot of obstacles (history, geography, etc) that "peer schools" (former Normal Schools) like Towson, Northern Arizona, Northern Iowa, Albany, etc. have been able to overcome.

As I understood it, Central is funded separately from UConn and must compete with Storrs for funding, whereas Towson is funded under the University System of Maryland, which funds all state schools in Maryland. Because the USM board is well represented from Baltimore City, Towson and UMBC get their share of funding to keep options for local kids and not to have an exodus to College Park.

Even though there are plenty of people in Connecticut, it astounds me that there are almost twice as many people now living in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area than in the entire state of Connecticut.

aceinthehole
September 10th, 2018, 05:36 PM
Yes, our small population and land area certainly puts us at a huge disadvantage and doesn't compare well to States in the South and West. Not to mention the glut of private colleges in this part of the country.

Yes, we (CSU campuses) are funded and governed outside of the UConn system. That is part of the politics that have created the inequality between the schools.

Connecticut is still 3 million people - larger than about 22 States, but is very, very small (about the size of a Texas county). Problem is a bunch of small, fiercely independent towns, without any sense of regionalism. The state lacks a strong metropolis of our own (Hartford and New Haven were once joint capitals of the State) and we are sandwiched between mega-citys of NY and Boston.

Sad what is happening to Connecticut now. The government has run the state into the ground and people (and corporations) are fleeing for cheaper places. It is still a great place, but it is going to take decades to be vibrant again.

ccd494
September 10th, 2018, 05:58 PM

Nine NE-10 schools sponsor men's hockey. Three play up in full D-I conferences (Merrimack in Hockey East, American International and Bentley in Atlantic Hockey). The remaining six (Assumption, Franklin Pierce, Saint Anselm, Saint Michael's, Southern New Hampshire, Stonehill) and fellow D-II hockey school LIU-Post could all presumably declare themselves D-I in hockey tomorrow if they wanted to. However, they all fund their programs at or below the level of average D-III programs (probably well below the top of D-III). They likely have no interest in losing 12-0 every night, and if they joined as the NE-10 there would be A LOT of screaming and yelling about them taking an auto bid.

If any one of them wanted to commit to the sport, there is an opening in Atlantic Hockey for a 12th member.

Men's hockey actually is divided into D-I, D-II and D-III. There are not enough teams at the D-II level for a championship, hence the ability of D-II schools like Minnesota-Duluth to play in D-I. The women's game has the National Collegiate division and D-III. The NE-10 hockey schools are classified as D-II. Their women's teams are classified as National Collegiate.

Original_RMC
September 10th, 2018, 09:04 PM
I think this is a move against many rumors of potential NEC teams looking to leave the NEC. Basketball is a big driver for some teams to look into bigger conferences much like what Monmouth did.

aceinthehole
September 10th, 2018, 09:29 PM
I think this is a move against many rumors of potential NEC teams looking to leave the NEC. Basketball is a big driver for some teams to look into bigger conferences much like what Monmouth did.

Good point, but what is the likelihood that any NEC team will actually get the call?

Robert Morris wants out, but the Horizon took Northern Kentucky and IUPUI and passed on RMU. Are the Colonials still a viable candidate for future expansion?

The MAAC took Quinnipiac and Monmouth, but balked at extending it to Wagner. Not sure if the Seahawks were really prepared to make a move.

Bryant and CCSU have also been rumored to be interested in America East, but I don't see any invites for either school in the near future.

And the bottom line, all 4 schools have football, and the NEC might play hardball with football membership.

We will see what happens next, but I'm not holding my breath for major changes.

Original_RMC
September 10th, 2018, 09:30 PM
Good point, but what is the likelihood that any NEC team will actually get the call?

Robert Morris wants out, but the Horizon took Northern Kentucky and IUPUI and passed on RMU. Are the Colonials still a viable candidate for future expansion?

The MAAC took Quinnipiac and Monmouth, but balked at extending it to Wagner. Not sure if the Seahawks were really prepared to make a move.

Bryant and CCSU have also been rumored to be interested in America East, but I don't see any invites for either school in the near future.

And the bottom line, all 4 schools have football, and the NEC might play hardball with football membership.

I think that's why the NEC made that move with a team with a football program. If they didn't lost another team then they would be forced to retain that football program within the NEC. Whatever team is the one that could leave, football will need to find a new home.

ColonialInsider
September 10th, 2018, 11:19 PM

The MAAC is a better match for Robert Morris in terms of raising the basketball profile (MAAC is better than the Horizon, which has really slipped) and similar school structure. That said, if the Horizon wanted to expand in its current footprint, it could easily grab RMU and IPFW.

I'd say if the NEC adds another school, even if it's basketball only, in the next few months, then it's probably certain all the current members will stick around for the forseeable future. But if this gets into the spring of 2019 and the NEC hasn't added anyone, I'd be looking around for a possible departure announcement.

UNHWildcat18
September 11th, 2018, 07:11 AM

I hate to say it ace but even though CCSU is a public school of similar size to AE schools I think Bryant has the advantage if the AE ever extended an offer, but the standstill will continue due to the football problem.

Glad you guys are happy about the addition of Merrimack.

aceinthehole
September 11th, 2018, 10:08 AM
I hate to say it ace but even though CCSU is a public school of similar size to AE schools I think Bryant has the advantage if the AE ever extended an offer, but the standstill will continue due to the football problem.

Glad you guys are happy about the addition of Merrimack.

I do agree that Bryant probably has 2 slight advantages over CCSU for AE expansion:

1) Rhode Island is a new market for the league, yet solidly in the existing footprint
2) A nationally competitive Men's Lax program

All other things are even, or CCSU has a better history of success in D-I.

As I posted before, Hartford totally screws us! They are in the same market (although I think it is fair to say CCSU is 2nd fiddle to UConn, whereas UHa is third). Objectively, we match up well with the rest of the AE and would certainly make a solid addition. However, football is a big question mark for both schools - without a place to put it, accepting an invite would be very risky.

Now, only if Hartford was willing to move to the MAAC. I think they would be a much better fit there by joining Quinnipiac, Monmouth, Iona and former ECAC-North schools Canisius, Niagara, and Siena. That would be fantastic for CCSU, but we know that is not happening.

aceinthehole
September 11th, 2018, 10:55 AM
The MAAC is a better match for Robert Morris in terms of raising the basketball profile (MAAC is better than the Horizon, which has really slipped) and similar school structure. That said, if the Horizon wanted to expand in its current footprint, it could easily grab RMU and IPFW.

I'd say if the NEC adds another school, even if it's basketball only, in the next few months, then it's probably certain all the current members will stick around for the forseeable future. But if this gets into the spring of 2019 and the NEC hasn't added anyone, I'd be looking around for a possible departure announcement.

Remember, when Loyola (MD) left the MAAC it dropped the league to 9 schools. The MAAC became an 11-member league by adding QU and MU. Wagner (and to a lesser degree Bryant) was rumored to be school #12 - but the league has remained at the odd number and hasn't expanded in the last 5 years.

Anthony215
September 11th, 2018, 11:34 AM
A while ago California (PA) and IUP were thinking about moving to Division I. IUP I think had designs on the CAA, and I don't know where California (PA) sits anymore on the issue.

The PSAC schools in general are suffering from some serious enrollment issues, so I don't know how viable a move-up is anymore.

The only 2 PSAC schools who would be successful with moving up would be West Chester and IUP however WCU would have to come up with quite a bit of money to add to their current 10 scholarships. IUP has the scholarships just need a new stadium to replace the outdated Miller Stadium. I think they'd draw well hosting Villanova, Delaware, JMU and of course Elon as long as Coach Cig is their head coach. WCU would have a close rival in both Delaware and Nova as they both are within 40 minutes from the campus.

NHwildEcat
September 11th, 2018, 03:57 PM
Nine NE-10 schools sponsor men's hockey. Three play up in full D-I conferences (Merrimack in Hockey East, American International and Bentley in Atlantic Hockey). The remaining six (Assumption, Franklin Pierce, Saint Anselm, Saint Michael's, Southern New Hampshire, Stonehill) and fellow D-II hockey school LIU-Post could all presumably declare themselves D-I in hockey tomorrow if they wanted to. However, they all fund their programs at or below the level of average D-III programs (probably well below the top of D-III). They likely have no interest in losing 12-0 every night, and if they joined as the NE-10 there would be A LOT of screaming and yelling about them taking an auto bid.

If any one of them wanted to commit to the sport, there is an opening in Atlantic Hockey for a 12th member.

Men's hockey actually is divided into D-I, D-II and D-III. There are not enough teams at the D-II level for a championship, hence the ability of D-II schools like Minnesota-Duluth to play in D-I. The women's game has the National Collegiate division and D-III. The NE-10 hockey schools are classified as D-II. Their women's teams are classified as National Collegiate.

For one of them to move up and play Atlantic Hockey they would have to reclassify as a whole. I believe Saint Anselm was discussed in this situation, but there was a lack of direction as to what the school wanted to do. They announced a move down to DIII then rebuked once they couldn't find a conference and their hockey alumni screamed bloody murder.

I know the NE10 conference as a whole would love to play up in hockey, but the issue is half of those schools don't have the desire to spend the $ to even attempt a full DI schedule. The biggest hurdle as you allude to is the other conferences not want to lose an auto bid.

dbackjon
September 11th, 2018, 04:56 PM
For one of them to move up and play Atlantic Hockey they would have to reclassify as a whole. I believe Saint Anselm was discussed in this situation, but there was a lack of direction as to what the school wanted to do. They announced a move down to DIII then rebuked once they couldn't find a conference and their hockey alumni screamed bloody murder.

I know the NE10 conference as a whole would love to play up in hockey, but the issue is half of those schools don't have the desire to spend the $ to even attempt a full DI schedule. The biggest hurdle as you allude to is the other conferences not want to lose an auto bid.

You mean lose an at-large?

The Yo Show
September 11th, 2018, 06:58 PM
You read my mind, only difference was I was hoping for this.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

You were really hoping for that? It's pretty obvious that kind of outcome is incredibly unlikely (though nothing is impossible)

WestCoastAggie
September 11th, 2018, 09:37 PM

Delaware State needs to be in the NEC. Please make this happen.

NHwildEcat
September 13th, 2018, 08:18 AM
You mean lose an at-large?

Yes! LOL

ccd494
September 13th, 2018, 09:04 AM

The D-II's wouldn't have to re-classify their whole athletic department because the NCAA doesn't offer a championship in D-II ice hockey. St. A's could join Atlantic Hockey tomorrow if they wanted.

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 13th, 2018, 11:35 AM
Delaware State needs to be in the NEC. Please make this happen.

No.

They bring nothing to the NEC.

downbythebeach
September 13th, 2018, 03:40 PM
Tbh I've never heard of them, but it seems to be a decent school and program. I'd like to see them get West Chester or like TCNJ or someone. Probably not NJIT or Bentley.