PDA

View Full Version : Where's FCS data on ESPN.com ?

KPSUL
September 9th, 2018, 04:06 PM
Within the last day it is no longer possible to link to schedules, past or current, and other team information on FCS programs. There is no active link between the scores or standings tabs and FCS conferences are no longer visible at the Teams tab. If someone else has figured out a way to navigate to FCS data please share. I've relied on ESPN.com to get information on FCS teams for years.

MTfan4life
September 9th, 2018, 04:11 PM
Within the last day it is no longer possible to link to schedules, past or current, and other team information on FCS programs. There is no active link between the scores or standings tabs and FCS conferences are no longer visible at the Teams tab. If someone else has figured out a way to navigate to FCS data please share. I've relied on ESPN.com to get information on FCS teams for years.

This has been a slow burn from ESPN over the last few seasons. It started out where there was no hyperlink for teams on the scoreboard, but now it's everywhere. There are still team pages, but you have to search and search to find them because you can't link to them from either the standings or the scoreboard. It's incredibly frustrating. I've switched to NCAA.com for scoreboard usage.

Professor Chaos
September 9th, 2018, 04:11 PM
Yeah, I noticed that a few days ago that they changed the layout of their Teams page and no longer list the FCS teams (along with having no link that I can see to get to the FCS Teams page). Like you I used that page extensively when putting together my poll ballot each week to have a quick place to reference schedules and corresponding box scores. It's been at least a couple years since the team names were hyperlinked on ESPN's FCS standings page but I noticed that the FCS is referred to as "group 81" in the URL there so I was able to infer the URL for the FCS teams pages:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/teams/_/group/81

Hopefully they keep that page active since I can't find anywhere to actually navigate to it from within ESPN's site.

SUPharmacist
September 9th, 2018, 04:12 PM
Strangely I see every conference but the CAA listed on my phone. However, it looks like the pages are still there, probably an error.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/160

Reign of Terrier
September 9th, 2018, 04:12 PM
This is old news. It's been this way for like 2 years

SUPharmacist
September 9th, 2018, 04:16 PM

When I access it through the mobile site most everything is there. When I use the desktop site the links are no longer there. Seems odd that they wouldn't be consistent.

Professor Chaos
September 9th, 2018, 04:17 PM
The Standings page has been that way for a while but it was just in the last week that they switched the layout of the Teams page to exclude FCS teams. They used to have a complete list of all FBS and FCS teams on the Teams page. There were two columns and the left was all the FBS teams while the right was all the FCS teams. After their layout change you only see FBS teams at that link and there's no way to get to FCS in the "Conferences" dropdown: http://www.espn.com/college-football/teams

grizband
September 9th, 2018, 04:31 PM
Use Yahoo Sports; far superior information on FCS teams.

caribbeanhen
September 9th, 2018, 05:35 PM
Use Yahoo Sports; far superior information on FCS teams.

I was just getting ready to say the same

Yahoo is best I can find so far

Twentysix
September 9th, 2018, 06:27 PM
Yeah, I noticed that a few days ago that they changed the layout of their Teams page and no longer list the FCS teams (along with having no link that I can see to get to the FCS Teams page). Like you I used that page extensively when putting together my poll ballot each week to have a quick place to reference schedules and corresponding box scores. It's been at least a couple years since the team names were hyperlinked on ESPN's FCS standings page but I noticed that the FCS is referred to as "group 81" in the URL there so I was able to infer the URL for the FCS teams pages:

Hopefully they keep that page active since I can't find anywhere to actually navigate to it from within ESPN's site.I suspect that a computer program generates team pages. They will probably always be there. Deleting the links is basically the kiss of death as far as ESPN online coverage goes. That being said I disagree with op and agree with pc, I recall these links going dead a few years ago, not just recently.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

KPSUL
September 9th, 2018, 06:29 PM

Hopefully they keep that page active since I can't find anywhere to actually navigate to it from within ESPN's site.

Thanks, that was helpful, I've saved the link in favorites

RootinFerDukes
October 3rd, 2018, 01:18 PM
It appears that the hyperlinks over team names have been restored. The team list of FCS programs on the "teams" link is still not there.