View Full Version : 2019 Southern Heritage Classic cancelled due to weather in Memphis

ASU33
September 9th, 2018, 12:51 PM
https://wreg.com/2018/09/08/weather-cancels-29th-southern-heritage-classic/

One of the largest games yearly in FCS was cancelled due to lightning and storms in Memphis last night. People has started to arrive Wednesday to the Liberty Bowl with most people taking off blocks of time for this game between Tennessee State and Jackson State. The game was delayed by over 3 hours before a decision was made to cancel it due to scheduling conflicts by both schools. A lot of fans are mad that a decision was not made to play today seeing that this game is one of the most anticipated games each year by both schools.

JSUSoutherner
September 9th, 2018, 12:57 PM
Shame. TSU could have used the W.

ASU33
September 9th, 2018, 01:03 PM
Shame. TSU could have used the W.

I feel bad for all of those people who traveled to Memphis for the game. That has to suck to spend all of that money on travel, hotels, tailgating, and everything else not to have the game played.

JSUSoutherner
September 9th, 2018, 01:06 PM
I feel bad for all of those people who traveled to Memphis for the game. That has to suck to spend all of that money on travel, hotels, tailgating, and everything else not to have the game played.

For sure.

UNAPride
September 9th, 2018, 06:22 PM
In my opinion, too many games are getting cancelled for weather.

ASU33
September 9th, 2018, 06:59 PM
In my opinion, too many games are getting cancelled for weather.

I've never seen so many games get canceled or postponed as I've seen the last two seasons. This just so happened to be a HUGE one that people look forward to every year.

walliver
September 10th, 2018, 03:45 PM
It has become a trade off. You can games in the afternoon before the storms hit but it is very hot. If you move the games back to night-time, you get thunderstorms.

Most importantly, however, the fans did get to enjoy tailgating.

Lightening has always been a reason to delay a game, but I agree that it seems more common than it was. I suspect it is because there are now so many teams in the southeast, where this weather is common in September.

Professor
September 10th, 2018, 03:51 PM
Football Season starting to early in my opinion

JSUSoutherner
September 10th, 2018, 03:54 PM
It has become a trade off. You can games in the afternoon before the storms hit but it is very hot. If you move the games back to night-time, you get thunderstorms.

Most importantly, however, the fans did get to enjoy tailgating.

Lightening has always been a reason to delay a game, but I agree that it seems more common than it was. I suspect it is because there are now so many teams in the southeast, where this weather is common in September.

What's Lightening?

walliver
September 10th, 2018, 04:00 PM
What's Lightening?
Michael Jackson's skin color?

ASU33
September 10th, 2018, 05:11 PM
Michael Jackson's skin color?

xlolx