PDA

View Full Version : AGS Top 25 - How They Fared Week 2 2018

superman7515
September 8th, 2018, 11:52 PM
There is still one game going (#25 UC Davis @ #33 San Diego) so be certain to check that out, but it's almost 1 am, so I'm calling it a night since there were a lot of delays out there today. Keep an eye on the weather, looks probable for some delays on the east coast next weekend as well.

If you notice any errors, please let me know so it can get fixed. (Yes, Eastern Washington vs Northern Arizona was a non-conference game, and yes, #37 Butler played an away game at a D2 NAIA school xeyebrowx )

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1aHlv4LTEWlrYZyVf6Ca8fWnjjXguzYAbWWkvJb6vndk/edit?usp=sharing

Remember that as long as you see *** next to the Sagarin and Massey rankings, they are from last week. Until they get updated, not a lot I can do on that front.

Reign of Terrier
September 9th, 2018, 12:02 AM
It doesn't look like there will be any huge changes this week, except a couple teams in the bottom half dropping out altogether

Daytripper
September 9th, 2018, 12:12 AM
It doesn't look like there will be any huge changes this week, except a couple teams in the bottom half dropping out altogetherAgree. Most everybody took care of business. The bottom always churns.

katss07
September 9th, 2018, 12:48 AM
Shouldn’t be too much change in the top 10. Maybe a few teams swap spots. Looks like some major shifts going to happen at the bottom. Fully expect Maine, UC Davis and Elon to rise. All three had solid wins over very capable opponents. Very impressed with these three. I’d like to see URI move up.

Furman, Montana St should be headed down.

JSUSoutherner
September 9th, 2018, 01:00 AM
I might actually rank JSU this week.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 9th, 2018, 01:09 AM
Just a note to anybody being impressed with the Montana score. Don't be. That game was damn close and that score does not indicate what actually went on. We won, we should have, but this just ended up going badly in the 4th for Drake as they were right there most of the game.

KPSUL
September 9th, 2018, 07:49 AM
Shouldn’t be too much change in the top 10. Maybe a few teams swap spots. Looks like some major shifts going to happen at the bottom. Fully expect Maine, UC Davis and Elon to rise. All three had solid wins over very capable opponents. Very impressed with these three. I’d like to see URI move up.

Furman, Montana St should be headed OUT.

FIFY

MR. CHICKEN
September 9th, 2018, 07:58 AM
.........COLGATE...&......RHODEY.....WHIFF UH BULLET.........xsmileyclapx.......BRAWK!

Houndawg
September 9th, 2018, 07:59 AM
Just a note to anybody being impressed with the Montana score. Don't be. That game was damn close and that score does not indicate what actually went on. We won, we should have, but this just ended up going badly in the 4th for Drake as they were right there most of the game.

Sounds like an accurate description of Ol Miss vs SIU. Ran out of gas at the end of the 3rd qtr.

Cocky
September 9th, 2018, 08:14 AM
UC Davis 54
San Diego 21

mainejeff
September 9th, 2018, 08:43 AM
Maine outscored Western Kentucky 31-7 after literally the first 4 minutes of the 1st quarter.

McCowboys
September 9th, 2018, 08:44 AM
Massey Ratings: RTP is ridiculous - 28 24 14 38 120 43 McNeese St (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=4613&s=300937) SLC 2-0 OK. So McNeese isn't world beaters, but they have won twice on the road and won by the margin they were supposed to have won by. 120???

Panther88
September 9th, 2018, 08:48 AM
Massey Ratings: RTP is ridiculous - 28 24 14 38 120 43 McNeese St (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=4613&s=300937) SLC 2-0 OK. So McNeese isn't world beaters, but they have won twice on the road and won by the margin they were supposed to have won by. 120???

No disrespect but I wouldn’t trust that sh8t. Certain “simulations” had SHSU blowing out PVAMU 53-21 and had rice university blowing us out 55-27. Both of those were very winnable games for PV, if not for unforced errant punting problems by PV (we are holding deep snapper tryouts lol xlolx ).

We have a differing coaching staff and a few new moving pieces, which oddly, quite a few will return fall 2019 :D . We will get stronger. Massey and other simulations don’t factor that into their equation(s).

RootinFerDukes
September 9th, 2018, 08:58 AM
AGS Voters,

JMU’s game was a single quarter, lightning delayed and shortened game. Take that into consideration.

DO NOT just read a score and nothing else and assume that tells you the entire story. Thanks.

POD Knows
September 9th, 2018, 09:01 AM
No disrespect but I wouldn’t trust that sh8t. Certain “simulations” had SHSU blowing out PVAMU 53-21 and had rice university blowing us out 55-27. Both of those were very winnable games for PV, if not for unforced errant punting problems by PV (we are holding deep snapper tryouts lol xlolx ).

We have a differing coaching staff and a few new moving pieces, which oddly, quite a few will return fall 2019 :D . We will get stronger. Massey and other simulations don’t factor that into their equation(s).You guys had SHSU by the freaking balls, the end of the first half was a killer, I usually don't swear at the TV when other teams are playing but I was throwing **** around at different times during that game.

BTW, the announcers for SHSU are as bad as they get.

TheRevSFA
September 9th, 2018, 09:04 AM
AGS Voters,

JMU’s game was a single quarter, lightning delayed and shortened game. Take that into consideration.

DO NOT just read a score and nothing else and assume that tells you the entire story. Thanks.

They still aren’t getting a number 1 vote from here. Don’t worry

TheRevSFA
September 9th, 2018, 09:04 AM
You guys had SHSU by the freaking balls, the end of the first half was a killer, I usually don't swear at the TV when other teams are playing but I was throwing **** around at different times during that game.

Your last statement is spot on

McCowboys
September 9th, 2018, 09:05 AM

We have a differing coaching staff and a few new moving pieces, which oddly, quite a few will return fall 2019 :D . We will get stronger. Massey and other simulations don’t factor that into their equation(s).

The Panthers may be the best 1-2 team in the country! Best of luck on the rest of the season. I will be keeping an eye on PV!

Panther88
September 9th, 2018, 09:06 AM
You guys had SHSU by the freaking balls, the end of the first half was a killer, I usually don't swear at the TV when other teams are playing but I was throwing **** around at different times during that game.

I sat in Bowers’ west side stands surrounded by their alums and as SOON as we lined up to punt, I loudly exclaimed “here’s a free gift for you Sam....” while turning my head away not to view the pending error. And magically, on cue, it occurred. I did that every single time we lined up for punt formation.

I kinda’ sorta’ got the impression ags hell would break loose if an unranked and alleged cellar dweller team toppled the #4 team in the country :D , at their place.

Panther88
September 9th, 2018, 09:11 AM
The Panthers may be the best 1-2 team in the country! Best of luck on the rest of the season. I will be keeping an eye on PV!

You should keep an eye on us, Mac. A lil’ birdie told me over the summer that “talks occurred “ for a probable h&h w/ Mac as a return gesture for what Mac did for us a few recent years ago (a promise being made after we constructed our new deal).

We have ACU for a h&h starting next year. We are doing an slc exploratory type of deal and we are auditioning slc members from top to bottom. :D

MR. CHICKEN
September 9th, 2018, 09:13 AM

.......BE CAREFUL.....'ROUND DUH BROKEN GLASS.......AWQ!

superman7515
September 9th, 2018, 09:16 AM
Sagarin still hasn't updated (he didn't until Monday last weekend), but the Massey ratings have been entered and all the games are in.

Again, some notable games that didn't go as the computers expected:

#5 Sam Houston State had a 92% chance of winning and was a 20.5 point favorite vs Prairie View A&M - Sam Houston St wins 41-32 (only a 34-32 lead until the final minute)

#8 Samford had a 1% chance of winning and was a 30.5 point underdog at FBS Florida State - Florida State wins 36-26

#12 Weber State had a 92% chance of winning and was a 20.5 point favorite at Cal Poly - Weber State wins 24-17

#18 Elon had a 51% chance of winning and was a 1 point favorite vs #20 Furman - Elon wins 45-7.

#19 Maine had a 36% chance of winning and was a 4.5 point underdog at FBS Western Kentucky - Maine wins 31-28.

#25 UC Davis had a 62% chance of winning and was a 3.5 point favorite vs #33 San Diego - UC Davis wins 54-21

#26 New Hampshire had a 75% chance of winning and was a 7.5 point favorite vs #34 Colgate - Colgate wins 10-3 (one of only 4 games the computer picked incorrectly and this week's biggest upset)

#28 Western Illinois had a 54% chance of winning and was a 2.5 point favorite at FBS Illinois - Western Illinois loses 34-14

superman7515
September 9th, 2018, 09:17 AM
I kinda’ sorta’ got the impression ags hell would break loose if an unranked and alleged cellar dweller team toppled the #4 team in the country :D , at their place.

Probably, but not for the reason you think. You'd be surprised how disliked SHSU is around here by a vocal group of folks, haha.

superman7515
September 9th, 2018, 09:18 AM
AGS Voters,

I put that on the spreadsheet last night because I was concerned people wouldn't click the links I provide to get a little more context on what happened with the closer than expected games.

McCowboys
September 9th, 2018, 09:19 AM
You should keep an eye on us, Mac. A lil’ birdie told me over the summer that “talks occurred “ for a probable h&h w/ Mac as a return gesture for what Mac did for us a few recent years ago (a promise being made after we constructed our new deal).

We have ACU for a h&h starting next year. We are doing an slc exploratory type of deal and we are auditioning slc members from top to bottom. :D

Cool! PV is not a far drive for me. McNeese has played Grambling, Southern (who will be visiting Cowboy Stadium next season, I believe), Alcorn, Texas Southern.

POD Knows
September 9th, 2018, 09:25 AM
.......BE CAREFUL.....'ROUND DUH BROKEN GLASS.......AWQ!I was throwing empty plastic water bottles, I threw one at the TV when they screwed up that one punt snap and then just a couple minutes, they messed up another punt, so I got two empty water tosses in a short period of time.

POD Knows
September 9th, 2018, 09:28 AM
Your last statement is spot onI was appalled at how bad the color guy was, I don't even know what game he watching. He made a couple comments about how "stout" the defenses were in the SLC, for some reason, maybe it is just me, but that is not the first thing I think of when the SLC and defense is injected into any conversation.

POD Knows
September 9th, 2018, 09:34 AM
I sat in Bowers’ west side stands surrounded by their alums and as SOON as we lined up to punt, I loudly exclaimed “here’s a free gift for you Sam....” while turning my head away not to view the pending error. And magically, on cue, it occurred. I did that every single time we lined up for punt formation.

I kinda’ sorta’ got the impression ags hell would break loose if an unranked and alleged cellar dweller team toppled the #4 team in the country :D , at their place.Hell no, there would have been a standing ovation. xnodx

Sammy94
September 9th, 2018, 09:36 AM
Probably, but not for the reason you think. You'd be surprised how disliked SHSU is around here by a vocal group of folks, haha.

This right here. Twitter was blowing up that Sam was actually losing at one point during the game. I don’t see any over at halftime games this season so we may have a lot of excited folks at least until that final second ticks off the clock.

Panther88
September 9th, 2018, 09:41 AM
Hell no, there would have been a standing ovation. xnodx

lololololol ouch!

caribbeanhen
September 9th, 2018, 09:44 AM
Villanova is emerging as a serious threat..... Defense baby

Schism55
September 9th, 2018, 11:16 AM
I was throwing empty plastic water bottles, I threw one at the TV when they screwed up that one punt snap and then just a couple minutes, they messed up another punt, so I got two empty water tosses in a short period of time.
Your arm in late season form then already?? xdrunkyx

POD Knows
September 9th, 2018, 11:19 AM
Your arm in late season form then already?? xdrunkyx
Threw a pretty nice spiral the first time, dead center of the TV screen, the second toss was wide right and high, I hung my receiver out to dry. I was stone sober throwing **** at a TV in a game where I had really no vested interest, I might have to seek counseling. God I love college football. :D

Reign of Terrier
September 9th, 2018, 11:29 AM
Looking at my ballot this week, what made it somewhat difficult is that no one except Montana State, Furman, and maybe Northern Arizona made it easy to move anyone up. About half of the top 25 won as they were expected to, 5 lost, but two of them were expected to FBS opponents (and one respectable in Samford)

Schism55
September 9th, 2018, 12:13 PM
Threw a pretty nice spiral the first time, dead center of the TV screen, the second toss was wide right and high, I hung my receiver out to dry. I was stone sober throwing **** at a TV in a game where I had really no vested interest, I might have to seek counseling. God I love college football. :D
Hah I totally understand! One of my best friends is a long suffering USD grad/fan and he made a "thrower" a couple years back, an old tv remote athletic taped to within an inch of it's life after breaking a bakers doz or so of remotes lol

POD Knows
September 9th, 2018, 12:24 PM
Hah I totally understand! One of my best friends is a long suffering USD grad/fan and he made a "thrower" a couple years back, an old tv remote athletic taped to within an inch of it's life after breaking a bakers doz or so of remotes lolI like to sit with a golf club in my hands when watching football because I usually only throw clubs when I am in the great outdoors. Haven't thrown a club in the house yet. The Ice Mountain water bottles I throw are generally pretty harmless when empty, different story when their is a little bit of water left.

WestCoastAggie
September 9th, 2018, 12:33 PM
A&T is at 15 in the Massey, top-20 in the Sagarin, and the composite has us at 6th so far.

We still haven’t played a perfect 4 quarters yet and sat out 3 OL starters for extra rest going into our bye week. Elijah Bell has also been playing though plantar fasciitis (Julio Jones Injury).

We should drop almost 60 on Morgan State on 9/22, playing backups in the second half after our bye, as we got a short turnaround that week, playing S.C. State on 9/27.

At this point, it’s about style-points, and improving each game.

JSUSoutherner
September 9th, 2018, 12:52 PM
So I know we played MVSU last night, but to comment on some of the concerns that came up about JSU after week zero.

Zerrick Cooper: He's the real deal.

Our Penalties: 5-50 yards. 1 was a dumb unsportsmanlike(celebration after a TD). 1 was a questionable call 1 was an ineligible receiver call on the bench warmers late in the fourth and I believe the other 2 were defensive holding on one of our corners in the first and an offsides call IIRC. Overall a lot cleaner.

Turnovers: Nada.

Special Teams: we looked really good in kick coverage but based on past experience watching our team I'm saying this is because MVSU was straight cheeks unless we continue to do well here.

Yes I know MVSU is a 3A high school, but that's what I saw last night looking at the game from a "how well does JSU not **** themselves?" perspective.

Not making a case for anything with this post. Just stating observations.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 9th, 2018, 01:43 PM
So I know we played MVSU last night, but to comment on some of the concerns that came up about JSU after week zero.

Our Penalties: 5-50 yards. 1 was a dumb unsportsmanlike(celebration after a TD). 1 was a questionable call 1 was an ineligible receiver call on the bench warmers late in the fourth and I believe the other 2 were defensive holding on one of our corners in the first and an offsides call IIRC. Overall a lot cleaner.

Special Teams: we looked really good in kick coverage but based on past experience watching our team I'm saying this is because MVSU was straight cheeks unless we continue to do well here.

Yes I know MVSU is a 3A high school, but that's what I saw last night looking at the game from a "how well does JSU not **** themselves?" perspective.

As a fan of a team that played said opponent a couple years back none of that means anything against that team. Not saying it is not true, just saying against them it is in no way a barometer nobody playing them should ever look at any of those results with any sort of validity. Even the penalties...they really don't challenge enough that a good team should have many of those as you don't have to play anywhere close to the edge to beat them.

The only thing you can take away from a game against MVSU is a feeling of pity and a want to start a gofundme for them. Not trying to be an asshole to them at all but I really felt bad for them and what they appeared to have as resources.

ST_Lawson
September 9th, 2018, 01:50 PM
#28 Western Illinois had a 54% chance of winning and was a 2.5 point favorite at FBS Illinois - Western Illinois loses 34-14

https://i.giphy.com/media/4nroykNoXV3QQ/source.gif

Drblankstare
September 9th, 2018, 02:24 PM
A&T is at 15 in the Massey, top-20 in the Sagarin, and the composite has us at 6th so far.

We still haven’t played a perfect 4 quarters yet and sat out 3 OL starters for extra rest going into our bye week. Elijah Bell has also been playing though plantar fasciitis (Julio Jones Injury).

We should drop almost 60 on Morgan State on 9/22, playing backups in the second half after our bye, as we got a short turnaround that week, playing S.C. State on 9/27.

At this point, it’s about style-points, and improving each game.

Damn shame none of us will ever know how good you guys really are. Not having you guys in the playoffs will be a shame

Houndawg
September 9th, 2018, 02:38 PM
AGS Voters,

Likewise if you're on the fence about SIU, don't be, their defense is greatly improved despite giving up 77 - Ol Miss still had their first string in early in the 4th quarter, probably because of the way they got booed going into halftime down 38-35 and giving up close to 600 yards. Straub is back and if he stays healthy we'll be in the top half of the MVC and contending for an at large.

TheKingpin28
September 9th, 2018, 02:38 PM
I like to sit with a golf club in my hands when watching football because I usually only throw clubs when I am in the great outdoors. Haven't thrown a club in the house yet. The Ice Mountain water bottles I throw are generally pretty harmless when empty, different story when their is a little bit of water left.You would never throw a golf club. xlolx

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

JSUSoutherner
September 9th, 2018, 02:51 PM
As a fan of a team that played said opponent a couple years back none of that means anything against that team. Not saying it is not true, just saying against them it is in no way a barometer nobody playing them should ever look at any of those results with any sort of validity. Even the penalties...they really don't challenge enough that a good team should have many of those as you don't have to play anywhere close to the edge to beat them.

The only thing you can take away from a game against MVSU is a feeling of pity and a want to start a gofundme for them. Not trying to be an asshole to them at all but I really felt bad for them and what they appeared to have as resources.

Yeah, I get that. I'm curious for Austin Peay in a couple of weeks. That should be validation of whether we've really improved or not.

JSUSoutherner
September 9th, 2018, 02:56 PM
Likewise if you're on the fence about SIU, don't be, their defense is greatly improved despite giving up 77 - Ol Miss still had their first string in early in the 4th quarter, probably because of the way they got booed going into halftime down 38-35 and giving up close to 600 yards. Straub is back and if he stays healthy we'll be in the top half of the MVC and contending for an at large.
SIU's defense is awful. Change my mind.

Professor Chaos
September 9th, 2018, 03:00 PM

Yeah, I get that. I'm curious for Austin Peay in a couple of weeks. That should be validation of whether we've really improved or not.
I'd also point out that, despite getting edged out in the most important statistic, JSU statistically dominated NC A&T in the kickoff classic and I think pretty much everyone agrees that A&T is a very good team. As is usual the last few teams in my ballot were like throwing darts at some pretty nondescript performances to this point but JSU was, to me at least, not even in consideration of being unranked this week.

WestCoastAggie
September 9th, 2018, 03:14 PM
I'd also point out that, despite getting edged out in the most important statistic, JSU statistically dominated NC A&T in the kickoff classic and I think pretty much everyone agrees that A&T is a very good team. As is usual the last few teams in my ballot were like throwing darts at some pretty nondescript performances to this point but JSU was, to me at least, not even in consideration of being unranked this week.

JSU can be a quartfinal team in the playoffs once they gel.

TheRevSFA
September 9th, 2018, 03:23 PM
This right here. Twitter was blowing up that Sam was actually losing at one point during the game. I don’t see any over at halftime games this season so we may have a lot of excited folks at least until that final second ticks off the clock.

The only reason that happened was because your fan base was cocky and dismissive of PVAM before the game. Similar to JSU fans before A&T.

If you play next week like you did against PVAM, UND is going to run all over you. Your run defense is awful

katss07
September 9th, 2018, 03:29 PM
JSU can be a quartfinal team in the playoffs once they gel.
We’ll see how they look against Austin Peay and Kennesaw. They miserably failed their first test. If they’re going to do something this season, let alone make the playoffs, they will have to prove it against the best the OVC has to offer (and easily the biggest threat to the JSU run we have seen in a very long time) as well as KSU. I could see that final game kind of being a win and your in game.

Regardless they will have to impress the committee, which is never an issue for JSU. I have little doubt in my minf that the Gamecocks will be playing on Thanksgiving Weekend.

Mike296
September 9th, 2018, 03:41 PM
We’ll see how they look against Austin Peay and Kennesaw. They miserably failed their first test. If they’re going to do something this season, let alone make the playoffs, they will have to prove it against the best the OVC has to offer (and easily the biggest threat to the JSU run we have seen in a very long time) as well as KSU. I could see that final game kind of being a win and your in game.

Regardless they will have to impress the committee, which is never an issue for JSU. I have little doubt in my minf that the Gamecocks will be playing on Thanksgiving Weekend.

I don’t really expect much out of us against JSU, the weather really played havoc on our game but we’ll see what happens next week against Morehead St in what I hope are Dry conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Killamike259

Houndawg
September 9th, 2018, 03:55 PM
SIU's defense is awful. Change my mind.

They're awful against one of the best/biggest QB/receiver corps in FBS. That QB made play after play where he placed the ball perfectly in spite of good coverage. We'll do much better against FCS competition - top half MVC and contending for an at large berth. Ole Miss is who should be worried about their defense - giving up 240 rushing yards and 386 by air. 41 pts. and 600+ yards against any SEC defense means our defense doesn't have to be NDSU-like, they just have to be able to keep us close in a shoot out and I think they can do that against most FCS teams. SIU/SDSU could be a barn burner.

Daytripper
September 9th, 2018, 04:01 PM
The only reason that happened was because your fan base was cocky and dismissive of PVAM before the game. Similar to JSU fans before A&T.

If you play next week like you did against PVAM, UND is going to run all over you. Your run defense is awful

Oh, we weren't cocky. We believed we would win but we knew PV would bring a good effort.

Sammy94
September 9th, 2018, 04:03 PM
Oh, we weren't cocky. We believed we would win but we knew PV would bring a good effort.

Just like last season, pretty much the same game. We were hated way before PV.

Schism55
September 9th, 2018, 04:03 PM
They're awful against one of the best/biggest QB/receiver corps in FBS. That QB made play after play where he placed the ball perfectly in spite of good coverage. We'll do much better against FCS competition - top half MVC and contending for an at large berth. Ole Miss is who should be worried about their defense - giving up 240 rushing yards and 386 by air. 41 pts. and 600+ yards against any SEC defense means our defense doesn't have to be NDSU-like, they just have to be able to keep us close in a shoot out and I think they can do that against most FCS teams. SIU/SDSU could be a barn burner.
Forget about SDSU....SIU/USD in 3 weeks might melt the scoreboard

JSUSoutherner
September 9th, 2018, 04:22 PM

If we win out and APSU, Ncat, and KSU all finish where they should, we will be seeded.

POD Knows
September 9th, 2018, 04:29 PM
If we win out and APSU, Ncat, and KSU all finish where they should, we will be seeded.That would be awesome to see another JSU ass kicking further calling out for changes in the seeding and tourney process.

Mike296
September 9th, 2018, 04:30 PM
If we win out and APSU, Ncat, and KSU all finish where they should, we will be seeded.

Our game in a few weeks will be the biggest game that week in terms of playoff implications. conference this year seems like it’s going to be walking on a tightrope for both of us. Murray looks much better despite them losing this week. As for everyone else I don’t know what to think of them. EIU looks dreadful. SEMO looks better but they haven’t played anyone good so I’m not sure on them, the rest are interesting but I honestly think that this year should be the first year in a few years that the OVC gets two in the playoffs.

JSUSoutherner
September 9th, 2018, 04:30 PM
That would be awesome to see another JSU ass kicking further calling out for changes in the seeding and tourney process.

Nah. They'll leave it alone just to trigger you guys.

POD Knows
September 9th, 2018, 04:31 PM
Our game in a few weeks will be the biggest game that week in terms of playoff implications. conference this year seems like it’s going to be walking on a tightrope for both of us. Murray looks much better despite them losing this week. As for everyone else I don’t know what to think of them. EIU looks dreadful. SEMO looks better but they haven’t played anyone good so I’m not sure on them, the rest are interesting but I honestly think that this year should be the first year in a few years that the OVC gets two in the playoffs.

Formerly known as Killamike259Bull****, Murray State sucks.

Mike296
September 9th, 2018, 04:35 PM
Bull****, Murray State sucks.

You act like the OVC as a whole is good. Knowing the OVC Murray will probably be 3rd in the conference this year.

JSUSoutherner
September 9th, 2018, 04:40 PM

Here's the best case scenario for APSU and JSU:

APSU, has to beat everyone but JSU. You go 8-3 and you're done.

JSU has to beat everyone. By a lot. Provided JSU can beat KSU the most important game for JSU will be KSU vs Samford. It's pretty obvious Samford is the cream of the crop in the SoCon. If KSU beats them and we beat KSU no one will care we donated a W to NC A&T while everyone was still in camp.

Regardless of how many Bison fans cry about it, 10-1 JSU teams get seeds.

Then once we get there we both need to not suck.

Mike296
September 9th, 2018, 04:42 PM
Here's the best case scenario for APSU and JSU:

APSU, has to beat everyone but JSU. You go 8-3 and you're done.

JSU has to beat everyone. By a lot. Provided JSU can beat KSU the most important game for JSU will be KSU vs Samford. It's pretty obvious Samford is the cream of the crop in the SoCon. If KSU beats them and we beat KSU no one will care we donated a W to NC A&T while everyone was still in camp.

Regardless of how many Bison fans cry about it, 10-1 JSU teams get seeds.

Then once we get there we both need to not suck.

If the reverse happens and we beat you guys and win out we get the seed not you.

Edit: you guys might not make it if we beat you so keep that in mind.

JSUSoutherner
September 9th, 2018, 04:44 PM
If the reverse happens and we beat you guys and win out we get the seed not you.

I doubt even beating us gets APSU a seed.

Mike296
September 9th, 2018, 04:46 PM
I doubt even beating us gets APSU a seed.

Well, look at it this way. If we go 10-1 with the only loss coming to FBS Georgia do you really think the Committee won’t sneak us in as a 7 or 8 Seed?

JSUSoutherner
September 9th, 2018, 04:48 PM
Well, look at it this way. If we go 10-1 with the only loss coming to FBS Georgia do you really think the Committee won’t sneak us in as a 7 or 8 Seed?

Yes. Because if we lose to you we aren't beating KSU. Your best win will be an 8-3 OVC team.

Mike296
September 9th, 2018, 04:51 PM
Yes. Because if we lose to you we aren't beating KSU. Your best win will be an 8-3 OVC team.

Well, Committee tends to favor conference champs. Look at you guys the last few years. Beat up on some bad teams and still got a decent seed for whatever reason.

SU DOG
September 9th, 2018, 05:26 PM
It wouldn't be shocking news for me to be totally wrong, but I think that JSU is STILL a top 10 team. Yeah, they had a lack of discipline in the opener, but their talent alone will probably let them sail through the OVC and into the Playoffs. What happens then, well who knows? I don't put APSU anywhere near their level right now.

JSUSoutherner
September 9th, 2018, 05:31 PM
Well, Committee tends to favor conference champs. Look at you guys the last few years. Beat up on some bad teams and still got a decent seed for whatever reason.

It won't matter.

Whether they say they look at it or not, historical performance plays a part. And despite what the typical butthurt Bison fan says, at the time of seeding last year our only FCS losses in the past 4 years were a semifinalist, one of the best FCS teams ever in Frisco, and a national runner-up.

Last year it was less about what we did and more about who we are and they didn't have a real reason to move us down because we were winning, Bison fans are right on that front. 2016 we beat Coastal and were coming off a title game appearance. 2015 and 2014 we had the UTC wins and the Auburn game to help us build our resume. We had a resume last year. APSU, even if you guys beat us, still has a lot of work to do and you'll need more than one win over an 8-3 OVC team to get there.

The KSU and A&T games obviously hurt our resume so, that's why what I stated in my last post needs to happen if we want to build ourselves back up to getting a seed.

Of course, APSU won't win so this whole conversation is kind of irrelevant anyway.

Mike296
September 9th, 2018, 05:32 PM
It won't matter.

Whether they say they look at it or not, historical performance plays a part. And despite what the typical butthurt Bison fan says, at the time of seeding last year our only FCS losses in the past 4 years were a semifinalist, one of the best FCS teams ever in Frisco, and a national runner-up.

Last year it was less about what we did and more about who we are and they didn't have a real reason to move us down because we were winning, Bisom fans are right on that front. 2016 we beat Coastal and were coming off a title game appearance. 2015 and 2014 we had the UTC wins and the Auburn game to help us build our resume. We had a resume last year. APSU, even if you guys beat us, still has a lot of work to do and you'll need more than one win over an 8-3 OVC team to get there.

The KSU and A&T games obviously hurt our resume so, that's why what I stated in my last post needs to happen if we want to build ourselves back up to getting a seed.

Of course, APSU won't win so this whole conversation is kind of irrelevant anyway.

Anything can happen on Any Given Saturday ;)

JSUSoutherner
September 9th, 2018, 05:35 PM
Anything can happen on Any Given Saturday ;)

I mean I could go win the lottery right now, doesn't mean I will.

UpstateBison
September 9th, 2018, 05:48 PM
It really doesn’t matter if a seeded JSU or APSU loses at home in their first playoff game. The OVC AQ still has a lot to prove.

Mike296
September 9th, 2018, 06:32 PM
I mean I could go win the lottery right now, doesn't mean I will.

Homer comment here but I think we have the better chance at a playoff run this year than you guys do. Should we beat you guys and run the table I say we get a 7 seed and I think we get a favorable matchup against a San Diego type team and we could win that game.

WestCoastAggie
September 9th, 2018, 07:31 PM
How high did you all rank Maine? Top-10? Top-7? Top-5?

hoidOfYolen
September 9th, 2018, 07:59 PM

I have them at #11 right now, right behind Kennesaw State and right ahead of Elon.

Daytripper
September 9th, 2018, 08:14 PM

Those that are poll voters are not supposed to state their specific rankings before the poll is posted. Just know that in my poll Maine will be well represented.

hoidOfYolen
September 9th, 2018, 08:41 PM
Those that are poll voters are not supposed to state their specific rankings before the poll is posted. Just know that in my poll Maine will be well represented.

I'm not a poll voter, fortunately in this case :D

TheKingpin28
September 9th, 2018, 08:46 PM

They are in my T10 but until tomorrow afternoon, I won't be able to share much more than that.

WestCoastAggie
September 9th, 2018, 08:58 PM

Let me rephrase my question, as not to break protocol:

How impressive is Maine’s start to the season? What they did against a FBS school and UNH is impressive, no?

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 9th, 2018, 09:11 PM

How impressive is Maine’s start to the season? What they did against a FBS school and UNH is impressive, no?

Maine deserves a decent ranking.

McCowboys
September 9th, 2018, 09:13 PM

UNH is now 0-2 on the season after having lost to Colgate.

Western Kentucky is also 0-2. However, a win over any (almost any) FBS is worthy of note as is a win on the road.

I like Maine. I am not sure if they are worthy of top 10 status or not at this point in the season.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
September 9th, 2018, 10:08 PM
Cannot put Maine any higher than 7 right? You beat two 0-2 teams? UNH loooks like a dumpster fire and Western Kentucky isn't much better. We'll know more in a couple weeks

hoidOfYolen
September 9th, 2018, 10:12 PM
Cannot put Maine any higher than 7 right? You beat two 0-2 teams? UNH loooks like a dumpster fire and Western Kentucky isn't much better. We'll know more in a couple weeks

I didn't realize WKU was 0-2 now as well. The UNH win was still impressive. I'm having a hard time deciding whether they or Elon deserve to be higher in the poll. I have Elon one spot behind but I'm starting to rethink that a bit.

Redbird 4th & short
September 9th, 2018, 10:24 PM
UNH is now 0-2 on the season after having lost to Colgate.

Western Kentucky is also 0-2. However, a win over any (almost any) FBS is worthy of note as is a win on the road.

I like Maine. I am not sure if they are worthy of top 10 status or not at this point in the season.

agreed .. WKU is pretty weak FBS. UNH is looking weaker every week. Maine comeing off 5 inw season, is having a nice start ... but this is not a top 10 resume. It is barely top 20. Same argument as NC A&T ... top 15-20 FBS teams are supposed to beat bottom 15-20 FBS teams most of the time. A year ago, WKU was ranked #116 .. if Maine was a yop 10 team, I would expect them to win by more than 3.

Nice start for Maine .. but I don't they are top 10 at this point.

Starting to feel like we have 25 teams that should be in top 10 ... can we please raise the bar for top 10 talk sitting just 2 weeks into season !!!!

Redbird 4th & short
September 9th, 2018, 10:29 PM
I didn't realize WKU was 0-2 now as well. The UNH win was still impressive. I'm having a hard time deciding whether they or Elon deserve to be higher in the poll. I have Elon one spot behind but I'm starting to rethink that a bit.

simply looking at records can be very deceiving .. especially 2 weeks into season ... look much closer at the games amd the opponent teams ... including last season. There is very little that anyone can concliude just looking at record ... or even just looking at this season's games. You need to consider last season, roster losses, program history in terms of reloading, etc.

Way to early in season to be looking at records alone ... or at any point in season ... strength of schedule/opponents is critical.

WestCoastAggie
September 9th, 2018, 11:07 PM
agreed .. WKU is pretty weak FBS. UNH is looking weaker every week. Maine comeing off 5 inw season, is having a nice start ... but this is not a top 10 resume. It is barely top 20. Same argument as NC A&T ... top 15-20 FBS teams are supposed to beat bottom 15-20 FBS teams most of the time. A year ago, WKU was ranked #116 .. if Maine was a yop 10 team, I would expect them to win by more than 3.

Starting to feel like we have 25 teams that should be in top 10 ... can we please raise the bar for top 10 talk sitting just 2 weeks into season !!!!

Do you agree or disagree with how the Massey Composite is lining up for week 3?xcoffeex

Redbird 4th & short
September 10th, 2018, 08:39 AM
Do you agree or disagree with how the Massey Composite is lining up for week 3?xcoffeex

I like the Massey Composite the best by far. But we're only 2 weeks into season and there are only 20 or so polls/systems contributing at this point. I see NC A&T moved into 5th ... but there are 3 systems that actually have them #1 .. of which one of those has NDSU #13. Need to get more polls and games into season so the stupid ones can get slowly worked out .. typically the database needs about 6 games to be considered statistically well connected. I like that that point for that reason and because most teams have played 3 OOC and 3 conf games ... so the better teams start to emerge mroe credibly. 2 weeks into season, with so many games against FCS patsies and FBS patsies dominating the limited # of data points .. and there is very little credibility so far.

That said, NC A&T was helped this weekend by pulling away in 2nd half playing a bad team, and ECU pulling away in their FBS game, albeit a weak opponent .. they separated themselves from a weak FBS opponent, which of course makes the NC A&T win a little better.

Still way too few data points after 2 weeks ... stay tuned until week 6 or 7, then things start to become more debatable on merits of what we are seeing this year.

Massey and Sagarin do all this churning of quality wins/losses, SOS based, expected margins, home/away adjusted, giving some weight to prior year(s) .. and they have NC A&T 15th and 13th respectively .. given your 3 games, that is where I still have you .. but I am not an AGS pollster.

mainejeff
September 10th, 2018, 09:16 AM

Maine has a 3 game gauntlet coming up....@ Central Michigan, @ Yale & Villanova at home. They go 4-1 and they are Top 10......5-0 should make them Top 5.

McCowboys
September 10th, 2018, 09:25 AM
Maine has a 3 game gauntlet coming up....@ Central Michigan, @ Yale & Villanova at home. They go 4-1 and they are Top 10......5-0 should make them Top 5.

Top 10 possible with that record (5-0), but Top 5 only if some of the ones already there start having some major setbacks.

Daytripper
September 10th, 2018, 09:46 AM

It's amazing how we tend to belittle FBS wins. I don't care how bad the FBS team is, it is still a win over a team with significant scholarship, depth, and financial advantages. I give it significant weight.

F'N Hawks
September 10th, 2018, 09:53 AM
It's amazing how we tend to belittle FBS wins. I don't care how bad the FBS team is, it is still a win over a team with significant scholarship, depth, and financial advantages. I give it significant weight.

Another caveat I will add is respecting a "close" FBS loss. It seems plausible that week but we also should track those FBS teams to see how they perform afterwards. Seemingly good FBS teams may turn out to be bad, making that close loss not as impressive.

jmufan999
September 10th, 2018, 09:56 AM

Maine deserves a very, very good ranking. very good. i'll leave it at that.

ursus arctos horribilis
September 10th, 2018, 10:34 AM
Another week of high voter turnout. Keep em' coming ladies and gents.

Redbird 4th & short
September 10th, 2018, 11:36 AM
point is simply what I already said ... top 10-15 FCS teams should beat bottom 10-15 FBS teams .. they are not an upset or statement game. And top 5-10 FCS teams should beat them more easily. Sure it is nice optics to beat an FBS who has more scholarships. But all the ranking systems do suggest this and for very good reason. .. they should beat them most of the time.

Clearly it is far more impressive to beat a bad FBS team by 2 or 3 TDs than by just 2 or 3 points. And it is far more impressive to beat a Top 35 FBS teams than a bottom 15-20 FBS team. But we're talking about rankings which eventually turn into playoff selections.

Frankly, that is the approach NC A&T AD has taken in that they schedule a bad FBS opponent almost every year .. that tells you the answer to your question. IN 2016, NC A&T beat Kent State (Massey #119) by 3 in 4 OTs. A week later, they played #43 Tulsa and got destroyed by 37. Then they make FCS playoff and lose by 38 to Richmond. Does that win over Kent St still impress you and cause you put 2016 NC A&T in top 5 or even top 20 ??

That is how bad the bottom 10-20 of FBS are .. and 20 more schollies makes no difference at that level. What quality athlete or coach would go to a bottom 20 FBS program ?? Who wants to win 1 to 3 games while playing in a bad conference .. insult to injury when bad teams lose in weak conferences.

https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=5500&s=286577

IBleedYellow
September 10th, 2018, 12:25 PM
Another week of high voter turnout. Keep em' coming ladies and gents.

Perfection guys, get it!!!