View Full Version : Samford at Florida State

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2018, 08:31 PM
13-0 Samford 4:38 1Q!

There was a lengthy weather delay in Tallahassee.

Twentysix
September 8th, 2018, 08:34 PM
Is anyone able to get this game to load rn on the ESPN app?

The other accn game IS working isub @ Louisville

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

ElCid
September 8th, 2018, 08:39 PM
Is anyone able to get this game to load rn on the ESPN app?

The other accn game IS working isub @ Louisville

Luckily I have it on my local TV. Samford looks really good. It is obviously a shooting match. Samford threatening again. At the FSU 15.

The Yo Show
September 8th, 2018, 08:39 PM
Can't even get it to load in sling on acc extra channel... Gives me an error

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2018, 08:41 PM
Luckily I have it on my local TV. Samford looks really good. It is obviously a shooting match. Samford threatening again. At the FSU 15.

Same here! I get random ACC games since I live relatively close to Syracuse.

Samford just kicked a FG

16-7 Bulldogs 1:32 1Q

ElCid
September 8th, 2018, 08:49 PM
FSU threatening. I think they underestimated Samford. They are turning it up now. Still looks pretty bad to be down 16-7 in the second.

wcugrad95
September 8th, 2018, 08:57 PM
I think FSU's biggest problem is they OVERestimated the guy they brought in as their head coach.

ElCid
September 8th, 2018, 08:58 PM
Refs are in the ACC corner. Missed interference call, but Samford still moving the ball.

UNAPride
September 8th, 2018, 09:01 PM
This doesn't surprise me. Would love for them to pull this upset!

ElCid
September 8th, 2018, 09:03 PM
Refs throw another weak flag on Samford. Almost embarrassing.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2018, 09:05 PM
Tough INT on the tipped pass. Samford defense needs to hold up...

ElCid
September 8th, 2018, 09:07 PM
Tough INT on the tipped pass. Samford defense needs to hold up...

They did!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2018, 09:12 PM
Pretty big review coming up. I think he had it long enough on the ground.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2018, 09:15 PM
TD Samford!! Hodges looks awesome!!

23-14 Bulldogs 6:37 2Q

ElCid
September 8th, 2018, 09:15 PM
Looking good. TD Samford!

23-14 mid 2nd.

jmu007
September 8th, 2018, 09:21 PM
Wow, go Samford. This game is definitely making my night after having JMU game called after 15 minutes.

Birdman_
September 8th, 2018, 09:22 PM
Samford looks great. Expected to see some flashes on offense and their defense to not get completely embarrassed, but this has been a really impressive half of football.

ElCid
September 8th, 2018, 09:31 PM
Missed FG by FSU. Too funny. They may start getting depressed. Especially if Samford can score before half.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2018, 09:35 PM
Samford fumble and FSU makes them pay

Bulldogs 23-21 1:19 2Q

ElCid
September 8th, 2018, 09:35 PM
Oh well. FSU scores fast after apparent fumble by Samford. I think he was down, but oh well. Now 23-21 Samford. Almost half.

Smitty
September 8th, 2018, 09:40 PM
Apparently body slams are allowed against FCS teams.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2018, 09:40 PM
Why is Samford taking a knee? They have nothing to lose with good field position! Try to score!!

ElCid
September 8th, 2018, 09:41 PM
Samford takes the lead into half. Not bad at all. I think FSU comes out big in the second half though. They got to be fired up now.

ElCid
September 8th, 2018, 10:14 PM
Samford hold on D in first FSU possession. Let's see what they can do.

TheKingpin28
September 8th, 2018, 10:21 PM
I still can't get over Hodges punting. Cracks me up to see arguably the best QB in D1 also punting.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2018, 10:22 PM
Samford forces a fumble in FSU territory!! need points!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2018, 10:24 PM
Hodges with a terrible decision...ugh

Twentysix
September 8th, 2018, 10:25 PM
For anyone interested the stream on the ESPN app is working now

Schism55
Hodges with a terrible decision...ugh
Totally....

TheKingpin28
Welp that was like a pseudo-punt. Awful play by Hodges with that throw.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2018, 10:34 PM
samford needs to go back to some of those max protect deep throws. They've had success going verticle against FSU. They're too fast with this lateral stuff.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2018, 10:37 PM
Samford about to lose their best defensive player due to a blatant targeting on FSU's QB.

TheKingpin28
September 8th, 2018, 10:37 PM
And the homecooking is in the books. That was in the chest and drove up. Utter horse**** to try and get Samford out of the game.

ElCid
September 8th, 2018, 10:38 PM
Samford about to lose their best defensive player due to a blatant targeting on FSU's QB.

Tough call. I think he turned his head a bit.

TheKingpin28
September 8th, 2018, 10:40 PM
That is straight bull**** and the refs know it. Way to try and insert themselves into the game. Targeting is a joke. I understand crown and spearing/head hunting, but that was a joke.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2018, 10:42 PM
That is straight bull**** and the refs know it. Way to try and insert themselves into the game. Targeting is a joke. I understand crown and spearing/head hunting, but that was a joke.

I dunno. I thought it was a pretty easy call based on the letter of the law. He lowered his head and rammed the QB in the face. They're going to call that all the time. I want Samford to win and it hurts but Gooden messed up.

ElCid
September 8th, 2018, 10:42 PM
Refs aren't doing FSU any more favors. Maybe they got a conscious.

TheKingpin28
September 8th, 2018, 10:45 PM
I dunno. I thought it was a pretty easy call based on the letter of the law. He lowered his head and rammed the QB in the face. They're going to call that all the time. I want Samford to win and it hurts but Gooden messed up.

QB turned his head and sold it. This is why football is tough to watch. You touch a QB and it is either targeting or roughing the passer. As I said, I get head hunting and using the crown, but all he did was hit him too good and gets thrown out of the game. I admitted he drove up, but come on, let the boys play.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2018, 10:49 PM
Samford needs to take shots.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2018, 10:52 PM
Damnit!! Bad shot!!...ugh

TheKingpin28
September 8th, 2018, 10:53 PM
Hodges with another bad play.

ElCid
September 8th, 2018, 10:55 PM
Hodges with another bad play.

Just because the result was bad. I like that they are taking shots. No fear. Its a percentage play that he took a shot. I have seen him do it a lot over the last couple years. They are definitely playing up right now.

Bisonoline
September 8th, 2018, 10:55 PM
Move down the field on short passes and the over throw the long ball. JFC why would you go to the long ball when you are killing them going short? xsmhx

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2018, 10:57 PM
Move down the field on short passes and the over throw the long ball. JFC why would you go to the long ball when you are killing them going short? xsmhx

Because they've had success. Their WR's have won the 1 on 1 battles down the field. FSU's defense has been tough to move on as the field gets shorter.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 8th, 2018, 10:58 PM
Good to see that even though Samford has a lead in the 4th quarter, they're still coming out and doing what they do well (throwing the ball). Trying to run it down the throats of a significantly more talented team is how you blow your chance at the upset (you can see Jax State versus Auburn and Florida State for examples of that).

TheKingpin28
September 8th, 2018, 11:00 PM
Just because the result was bad. I like that they are taking shots. No fear. Its a percentage play that he took a shot. I have seen him do it a lot over the last couple years. They are definitely playing up right now.

Not a fan. They were methodic in their short game and then he completely air mailed it and missed bad time.

ElCid
September 8th, 2018, 11:00 PM
Samford must be leading a charmed life. FSU FG off the upright.

TheKingpin28
September 8th, 2018, 11:01 PM
Wow. A missed FG.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2018, 11:01 PM
FSU with a missed FG!! C'mon Stamford!!

If I wasn't heading to Ann Arbor next week I'd go to the Syracuse-FSU game at the Dome. Place will be out for blood...

ElCid
September 8th, 2018, 11:02 PM
Not a fan. They were methodic in their short game and then he completely air mailed it and missed bad time.

Yeah, but they seem to hit it enough to make it worth it. As I said, I have been watching him do this for a couple years now. That he did not execute it perfectly this time doesn't change the percentage success he has experienced.

ElCid
September 8th, 2018, 11:04 PM
A score here would be devastating for FSU. It would put them up 2 scores. But the one thing Samford has not done well is clock management.

Bisonoline
September 8th, 2018, 11:05 PM
Good to see that even though Samford has a lead in the 4th quarter, they're still coming out and doing what they do well (throwing the ball). Trying to run it down the throats of a significantly more talented team is how you blow your chance at the upset (you can see Jax State versus Auburn and Florida State for examples of that).

Didnt say they should run the ball. But they were killing them going short. Keep doing that. Control the ball. Keep their offense off the field. Move the chains. Eat the clock up and score.

TheKingpin28
September 8th, 2018, 11:06 PM
Yeah, but they seem to hit it enough to make it worth it. As I said, I have been watching him do this for a couple years now. That he did not execute it perfectly this time doesn't change the percentage success he has experienced.

I've been a big fan of Hodges since beginning of last year and you probably saw him more than me, but I guess I am looking at this through the looking glass. Take high percentage plays and grind them down.

TheKingpin28
September 8th, 2018, 11:08 PM
Much needed FG for Samford but a TD would have been huge.

ElCid
September 8th, 2018, 11:09 PM
Samford FG makes it a must FSU TD. 26-21!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2018, 11:11 PM
Didnt say they should run the ball. But they were killing them going short. Keep doing that. Control the ball. Keep their offense off the field. Move the chains. Eat the clock up and score.

They're able to move the ball down the field doing that but then as the field gets shorter they've hit walls because of FSU's speed/talent on D. Two of Samford's TDs have come by taking shots. They also hit a few other long passes in the 1st half.

TheKingpin28
September 8th, 2018, 11:13 PM
They can't afford to lose Roberts with Gooden gone.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
September 8th, 2018, 11:17 PM
I'm pissed this game isn't anywhere on TV for me! GO SAMFORD!!!

ElCid
September 8th, 2018, 11:18 PM
Ripped off.

ElCid
September 8th, 2018, 11:19 PM
Doesn't look good right now.

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 8th, 2018, 11:20 PM
Refs will save FSU.

ElCid
September 8th, 2018, 11:21 PM
Clutch tackle in the back field.

ElCid
September 8th, 2018, 11:22 PM
3rd and goal from 5

BisonTru
September 8th, 2018, 11:23 PM
Calling off that intential grounding because a WO was in the area when you throw it 15 yards out of bounds??? xrotatehx

ElCid
TO FSU. Some miscommunication. I like it.

ElCid
Calling off that intential grounding because a WO was in the area when you throw it 15 yards out of bounds??? xrotatehx

BS

ElCid
September 8th, 2018, 11:24 PM
EVen if FSU scores. Samford is a pretty quick strike team...with 4 minutes left.

ElCid
September 8th, 2018, 11:25 PM
TD FSU. First lead of the game for them. Going for 2??? 27-26 now.

ElCid
September 8th, 2018, 11:25 PM
Damn they got it. 29-26. Crap!

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 8th, 2018, 11:26 PM
FSU fans acting like they won the NC. Pathetic.

ElCid
Hopefully Samford can dig deep. 4 minutes for a miracle.

Go Lehigh TU owl
C'mon Samford!! OL needs to give Hodges time! No mistakes!

BisonTru
September 8th, 2018, 11:27 PM
BS

The only WOs in the area were the redshirts standing by the water cooler....

ElCid
September 8th, 2018, 11:27 PM
Hodges has over 400 yards passing. Too funny.

ElCid
September 8th, 2018, 11:28 PM
The only WOs in the area were the redshirts standing by the water cooler....

I know, it was total and complete BS that it wasn't called.

ElCid
September 8th, 2018, 11:28 PM
Samford already to the FSU 43!

katss07
September 8th, 2018, 11:29 PM
Get it together Bulldogs! Win one for the FCS.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2018, 11:29 PM
pick 6 game set match...

TheKingpin28
September 8th, 2018, 11:30 PM
Wow. At least it wont be a pick-6

WOW, ARE YOU KIDDING ME? That was an illegal block and they gave FSU the win. That was bull**** and everyone knows it.

ElCid
September 8th, 2018, 11:31 PM
Game over. FSU pick 6. Refs just gave them the game. No call on a clip. Total and complete BS.

JSUSoutherner
Pick six. That's game.

ElCid
Might be most significant loss.....

Bison56
Hell of a game Bulldogs.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2018, 11:32 PM
that was absurd. Samford shouldn't have needed the refs to bail them out but that was a blatant missed call.

KnightoftheRedFlash
That FSU fan, "Ain't no stopping us now."

What a loser.

And the ACC refs save FSU. The announcer is incensed.

frozennorth
Pick six. That's game.
"just call it cleanly" even the announcer is calling out the home cooking

JSUSoutherner
Might be most significant loss.....

Not sure there's a "might" about it

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 8th, 2018, 11:33 PM
Credit to the one announcer for calling out the BS call.

Twentysix
September 8th, 2018, 11:34 PM
Ouch. 3 bad calls in the last 8 minutes. This feels like a robbery.

Bisonoline
Throwing in to triple coverage. Jeez.

KnightoftheRedFlash
I love CFB but the biased conference refs ruin the game at times.

TheKingpin28
September 8th, 2018, 11:35 PM
When the home announcers are calling out the bull****, you know it is bad. These refs should never be allowed near the field again for how biased they were.

Bison56
September 8th, 2018, 11:36 PM
That FSU fan, "Ain't no stopping us now."

What a loser.

And the ACC refs save FSU. The announcer is incensed.

I thought the same thing.

JSUSoutherner
September 8th, 2018, 11:37 PM
I know this may not be well received by Samford fans, but this game is making me question FSU moreso than leave me impressed by Samford. There's a legitimate possibility this season FSU is a Grade A dumpster fire.

That said, still a heckuva effort by the bulldogs.

CockyGeek
September 8th, 2018, 11:42 PM
I'm having flashbacks. Eerily similar to JSU's loss a decade ago. Dominated the whole game then got destroyed in two possessions.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

ElCid
September 8th, 2018, 11:43 PM
I know this may not be well received by Samford fans, but this game is making me question FSU moreso than leave me impressed by Samford. There's a legitimate possibility this season FSU is a Grade A dumpster fire.

While it is certainly true FSU is not as good as in past years, they are still a premier program. If you are not impressed with Samford...I am not sure what you are looking at. They are for real...unfortunately for us.

JSUSoutherner
September 8th, 2018, 11:46 PM
While it is certainly true FSU is not as good as in past years, they are still a premier program. If you are not impressed with Samford...I am not sure what you are looking at. They are for real...unfortunately for us.

You misinterpreted my words. I'm impressed with Samford. They'll get a nice bump from me this week. However I'm not sure about FSU still being a Premier team. They got waffle stomped by VT last week. Jimbo's gone. We won't know what FSU really is for another couple weeks so I'm hesitant to say Samford went toe to toe with (what has been) one of the best college football teams in the nation.

JayJ79
September 8th, 2018, 11:46 PM
FSU fans acting like they won the NC. Pathetic.
no, they're just excited that their team just won a close, fiercely contested game. which is what fans are supposed to do.

If they stormed the field, then yeah, that would be pathetic, but nothing wrong with cheering and excitement.

That was an illegal block and they gave FSU the win. That was bull**** and everyone knows it.

FSU still would have had the ball, and the lead. Bad call, but not all that game-changing.

ElCid
September 8th, 2018, 11:50 PM
no, they're just excited that their team just won a close, fiercely contested game. which is what fans are supposed to do.

If they stormed the field, then yeah, that would be pathetic, but nothing wrong with cheering and excitement.

FSU still would have had the ball, and the lead. Bad call, but not all that game-changing.

It was done for PR purposes. Winning by 10 looks better than winning by 3. But sure, not a game changer.

Bisonoline
September 8th, 2018, 11:54 PM

FSU still would have had the ball, and the lead. Bad call, but not all that game-changing.[/QUOTE]

Yes it was a game changer----

If they would have made the correct call and there was a 3 and out Samford would have had more time . They then could of tied it up with a field goal.

ElCid
September 8th, 2018, 11:59 PM
Yes it was a game changer----

If they would have made the correct call and there was a 3 and out Samford would have had more time . They then could of tied it up with a field goal.

I think it was over once the INT happened and that wasn't in doubt, just the field position. It might have been a game changer, if they had a three and out and Samford moved the ball. Pointless to theorize though. A bad call no matter how you look at it.

Schism55
September 9th, 2018, 12:04 AM

Oh it will be. It's one thing for your O line to get pushed around by Va Tech, but Samford? Yiiiikes

Schism55
September 9th, 2018, 12:08 AM
Hodges has some nice attributes as a QB, but his decision making is questionable at best. 4 Int's ooof

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 9th, 2018, 09:57 AM

Samford had nothing to be ashamed of last night. Makes you wonder what was Florida State thinking when they hired Taggart? Taggart did not quite set the world on fire when he was at Western Kentucky, slowly rebuilt USF into something and did not set the world on fire at Oregon.

wcugrad95
September 9th, 2018, 10:06 AM
From what I saw yesterday by FSU, that Jimbo Fisher guy must be pretty damn smart (and rich). The Noles have a long-road ahead of them, and I don't see it paved with Willie Taggert for too long given that fan base, their donors, and how quickly they have fallen from a Natty not too long ago.

As for Samford - and particularly Hodges - all you can do is say great game. It was one of those where the better team (at least with their play) didn't win because the inevitable FBS scholarship difference saw the FCS school run out of gas. Hodges probably doesn't throw many more than 4 picks the rest of the year, and he no doubt took some chances and forced some throws because he wanted to win this game (and not just be competitive).

Question about the targeting call on Gooden - does that mean he is out for the first half of the Mercer game this coming week?

TheKingpin28
September 9th, 2018, 11:08 AM
From what I saw yesterday by FSU, that Jimbo Fisher guy must be pretty damn smart (and rich). The Noles have a long-road ahead of them, and I don't see it paved with Willie Taggert for too long given that fan base, their donors, and how quickly they have fallen from a Natty not too long ago.

As for Samford - and particularly Hodges - all you can do is say great game. It was one of those where the better team (at least with their play) didn't win because the inevitable FBS scholarship difference saw the FCS school run out of gas. Hodges probably doesn't throw many more than 4 picks the rest of the year, and he no doubt took some chances and forced some throws because he wanted to win this game (and not just be competitive).

Question about the targeting call on Gooden - does that mean he is out for the first half of the Mercer game this coming week?

Yes

UNAPride
September 9th, 2018, 04:16 PM
Great job, Bulldogs!

SU DOG
September 9th, 2018, 05:13 PM
The call on Gooden was devastating for our defense, but I think it was a correct call. Of course, it was unintentional. The actual score, IMO, was 29-26 FSU. That last TD no call was absolutely ridiculous, and even the announcers said so. Our clipped player was nowhere near making the tackle, but FSU would have more than likely run out the clock after the mark off. I guess the official, who was right there, wanted the Noles to win by a double digit score. Sorry to sound like sour grapes, but I just can't get over that one.

BTW, congrats to UNA for their 2nd D-1 win,