PDA

View Full Version : SIU at Ole Miss ... great game so far

Redbird 4th & short
September 8th, 2018, 04:48 PM
SIU just scored again to go up 38-35 with less than minute left in half. These guys were my MVFC dark horse this year.

Schism55
September 8th, 2018, 04:50 PM
Does SIU play USD this year?
If so cataclysm inc! Both have great talent at WR but can't play a lick of pass D

TheKingpin28
September 8th, 2018, 04:52 PM
Yes it has been. Wasn't it established last year, that until SIU's QB went down, that might have been the best offense east of the Mississippi for the Valley.

Twentysix
September 8th, 2018, 04:59 PM
Did you vote for them this week? They had 6 points from me @#19. They didn't even get 13 points worth of votes in the ags poll(40th place). Disappointing. hopefully they get a little more recognition this week, since a couple people are actually watching their game this week

They put up 49 last week with 2 turnovers. They managed to get +4 in to margin even with 2 of their own, but their offense is really productive.
SIU just scored again to go up 38-35 with less than minute left in half. These guys were my MVFC dark horse this year.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

JacksFan40
September 8th, 2018, 04:59 PM
Hopefully SIU can keep this up, would be great to see an MVFC team beat a SEC team.

TheKingpin28
September 8th, 2018, 05:00 PM
Hopefully SIU can keep this up, would be great to see an MVFC team beat a SEC team.

inb4wewantbamapostersshowup

Mike296
September 8th, 2018, 05:01 PM

If SIU is doing this to Ole Miss just imagine what NDSU would be doing in this game lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formerly known as Killamike259

JSUSoutherner
September 8th, 2018, 05:02 PM
Beating Ole Miss, you say?

Twentysix
September 8th, 2018, 05:02 PM
SIUs pass game is better than NDSUs. It would be a different style of game imo.
If SIU is doing this to Ole Miss just imagine what NDSU would be doing in this game lol.

TheKingpin28
September 8th, 2018, 05:03 PM
Beating Ole Miss, you say?

https://cheeseheadtv.com/sites/default/files/post/2016/10/smelli_1.0.jpg

Mike296
September 8th, 2018, 05:04 PM
SIUs pass game is better than NDSUs. It would be a different style of game imo.

Still, NDSU surely has the better defense if this first half has any indication on anything. If SIU had NDSU’s defense I wonder what this game would be like.

JSUSoutherner
September 8th, 2018, 05:05 PM
https://cheeseheadtv.com/sites/default/files/post/2016/10/smelli_1.0.jpg

Nah.

https://youtu.be/UsunpiYs7Cg

Twentysix
September 8th, 2018, 05:09 PM
So last week ole Miss beat Texas Tech 47-27. Texas Tech currently beating Lamar 42-0 at half. Just a couple extra data points to consider.

TheKingpin28
September 8th, 2018, 05:10 PM
Nah.

https://youtu.be/UsunpiYs7Cg

If you didn't get the reference to the image, then I feel bad for you. I know why you posted what you did, but let's be honest, that was the 2nd worst team of the decade only trumped by the following year. Hell, they lost to Vanderbilt. Still, a win is a win an that made the FCS happy.

JSUSoutherner
September 8th, 2018, 05:13 PM
If you didn't get the reference to the image, then I feel bad for you. I know why you posted what you did, but let's be honest, that was the 2nd worst team of the decade only trumped by the following year. Hell, they lost to Vanderbilt. Still, a win is a win an that made the FCS happy.

I mean I know Eli played at Ole Miss.

And I know Ole Miss sucked that year. But we still got to hold it over their damn heads all the same.

Hope SIU pulls it out. Ole Miss fans are really bad at handling upsets. They had an article crying about their loss to us just last year.

Schism55
September 8th, 2018, 05:17 PM
It is DEAD quiet in that stadium, dang.
Go Salukis!! Get that scalp!

Drblankstare
September 8th, 2018, 05:19 PM
This game on espn3?

Schism55
September 8th, 2018, 05:21 PM
This game on espn3?
Yes!

JSUSoutherner
September 8th, 2018, 05:24 PM
Just turned the game on.

Wow SIU's defense is terribad.

Twentysix
September 8th, 2018, 05:27 PM
This game on espn3?No it's on sec+. You need the sec network to stream it on the ESPN app.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180908/f2f5926499c1cec52e11da6ed953a5c2.jpg

TheKingpin28
September 8th, 2018, 05:32 PM
The homecooking is real in this game and yet SIU is holding strong.

TheKingpin28
September 8th, 2018, 05:49 PM
42-41 Ole Miss

5:00 left in the 3rd Q

Sycamore62
September 8th, 2018, 05:52 PM
Are both teams just letting the other team score because they want to have the ball last to win?

TheKingpin28
September 8th, 2018, 05:56 PM
49-41 Ole Miss

3:48 left in the 3rd Q.

Imagine if either team had a mediocre defense. This would have been a blowout for either team.

The Kicker
September 8th, 2018, 06:02 PM
I have been watching this game from the start. No defense what so ever on both sides. Conditioning is going to play a big roll in the 4thQ players on both sides have been dropping left and right.

Twentysix
September 8th, 2018, 06:10 PM
49-41 Ole Miss

3:48 left in the 3rd Q.

Imagine if either team had a mediocre defense. This would have been a blowout for either team.SIU could probably compete for the big sky title this year. They will probably struggle in the mvfc. ;)

Redbird 4th & short
September 8th, 2018, 06:10 PM
yards are even SIU 550 to Miss 530. first downs are SIU 27 to Miss 21 .. but time of possession is SIU 30 to 13 so far. Total plays are 77 to 50 .. so Ole Miss defense is more likely to tire first.

Redbird 4th & short
September 8th, 2018, 06:12 PM
shoot .. now down 55-41

Twentysix
September 8th, 2018, 06:13 PM
shoot .. now down 55-41Yikes. 14:40 is an eternity in a game like this though.

Redbird 4th & short
September 8th, 2018, 06:16 PM
and straub just got picked at mid field ... not looking too good 13 mins left in game.

JacksFan40
September 8th, 2018, 06:17 PM
Ole Miss might win but that D is going to get absolutely manhandled by Alabama and other SEC teams.

Houndawg
September 9th, 2018, 07:57 AM
I have been watching this game from the start. No defense what so ever on both sides. Conditioning is going to play a big roll in the 4thQ players on both sides have been dropping left and right.

SIU's defense has improved quite a bit, regardless of the score. They'll finish in the top half of the MVC this year

underdawg
September 9th, 2018, 10:23 AM
SIU's defense has improved quite a bit, regardless of the score. They'll finish in the top half of the MVC this year

I agree---those Ole Miss WR were good and three may get a chance to be drafted---but there were so many good ones (usually four WR and no TE) that our two safeties had to cover much faster and longer athletes--Ole miss went right after them

Houndawg
September 9th, 2018, 02:40 PM
I agree---those Ole Miss WR were good and three may get a chance to be drafted---but there were so many good ones (usually four WR and no TE) that our two safeties had to cover much faster and longer athletes--Ole miss went right after them

They(ol Miss) also still had the first string in early in the 4th quarter.

How big was the check?

ASU33
September 9th, 2018, 02:50 PM

xeyebrowx

Schism55
September 9th, 2018, 03:14 PM
Not sure about that, one caveat being Ole Miss does have the #2 WR prospect for the NFL draft next year.

Houndawg
September 9th, 2018, 04:07 PM
Not sure about that, one caveat being Ole Miss does have the #2 WR prospect for the NFL draft next year.

They have a bookend for him on the other side 6'4" and 6'5". There were several plays where our position was right on an the QB just placed the ball perfectly. Hill is definitely recruiting better athletes than Lennon did.

Houndawg
September 9th, 2018, 04:08 PM
xeyebrowx

Believe it.

Schism55
September 9th, 2018, 04:14 PM
They have a bookend for him on the other side 6'4" and 6'5". There were several plays where our position was right on an the QB just placed the ball perfectly. Hill is definitely recruiting better athletes than Lennon did.
Couldn't agree more on all counts.
Not sure I've seen a receiving core that tall at any level of football. xeyebrowx

Houndawg
September 9th, 2018, 05:07 PM
Couldn't agree more on all counts.
Not sure I've seen a receiving core that tall at any level of football. xeyebrowx

and they're both about 230 - we won't see athletes like that again this season

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 9th, 2018, 05:46 PM
Believe it.

Giving up over 70 points.....

We'll see.

underdawg
September 9th, 2018, 09:36 PM

We'll see.

yes, the Bison would have shut em out--:)

underdawg
September 9th, 2018, 09:40 PM
But good luck against your SEC foe the Alabama Tide next weekend

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 10th, 2018, 05:58 AM
yes, the Bison would have shut em out--:)

Like I said, we'll see how SIU does defensively this year. Not a good start IMO.

Long season to improve.

Houndawg
September 10th, 2018, 07:09 AM

We'll see.

You're right to be skeptical, and I'm a homer, but I watched the game and it was a one score game at the end of the 3rd quarter when we ran out of gas. They had to run the score up at that point and they left the first string in for three and a half quarters. Plus, up is the only direction for our defense to go. I'm putting it in writing so you can smack me later if I'm wrong, but we're going to be a tough out this season.

skinny_uncle
September 12th, 2018, 07:29 PM
They(ol Miss) also still had the first string in early in the 4th quarter.

How big was the check?

$450k

My cable went out Friday and I just got it back on, so I didn't get to watch the game. I did however listen to it on the radio. I was worn out by halftime just listening. There was only one punt in the first half. The rest of the half they took turns scoring. Ole Miss did have impressive receivers. Those boys don't drop anything. I'll be interested to see how they do against 'Bama.

Houndawg
September 15th, 2018, 09:25 AM
$450k

My cable went out Friday and I just got it back on, so I didn't get to watch the game. I did however listen to it on the radio. I was worn out by halftime just listening. There was only one punt in the first half. The rest of the half they took turns scoring. Ole Miss did have impressive receivers. Those boys don't drop anything. I'll be interested to see how they do against 'Bama.

Best receivers ewe'll ever see but that QB was a master of putting the ball where the long receivers could catch it even when they were covered well

Redbird 4th & short
September 15th, 2018, 09:46 AM
I think SIU will be just fine on defense .. some games just get away like that, and it sounds like their skill positions were pretty stacked. SIU defense used to be pretty bad. In last couple years, it has been solid, middle of MVFC pack .. which considering the top 3 in MVFC are almost always top 5-10 in FCS .. middle of MVFC is not bad place to be.

I still have SIU as my dark horse this year .. offensively, I think they've shown a lot. defensively, we'll see ... but not going to over-react to one game.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 15th, 2018, 09:58 PM
You're right to be skeptical, and I'm a homer, but I watched the game and it was a one score game at the end of the 3rd quarter when we ran out of gas. They had to run the score up at that point and they left the first string in for three and a half quarters. Plus, up is the only direction for our defense to go. I'm putting it in writing so you can smack me later if I'm wrong, but we're going to be a tough out this season.

SIU just gave up 531 total yards to SEMO...xeyebrowx

311 rushing yards to Terry on 30 carries....xeyebrowx

Still working out the "kinks" in the defense?

Schism55
September 15th, 2018, 09:59 PM
SIU just gave up 531 total yards to SEMO...xeyebrowx

311 rushing yards to Terry on 30 carries....xeyebrowx

Still working out the "kinks" in the defense?
Lol you beat me to it.
Damnit SIU you couldn't close out SEMO xconfusedx

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 15th, 2018, 10:04 PM
Lol you beat me to it.
Damnit SIU you couldn't close out SEMO xconfusedx

I guess the SIU defense has improved according to houndawg but not today.

Straub had 340 yards passing though. Looks like it could be another typical Saluki team, good offense and porous defense. Lots of season left though.

Twentysix
September 15th, 2018, 10:18 PM
What a way to give up the game at the end too. Yikes SIU.

Redbird 4th & short
September 15th, 2018, 10:21 PM
not a good sign for SIU ... giving up 48 points to SEMO .. just not good.

JacksFan40
September 15th, 2018, 10:40 PM
Alabama just rolled Ole Miss 62-7, it’s obvious Ole Miss isn’t very good and giving up 76 to them is baaaadddd.

Schism55
September 15th, 2018, 10:46 PM
Alabama just rolled Ole Miss 62-7, it’s obvious Ole Miss isn’t very good and giving up 76 to them is baaaadddd.
Ole Miss scored first in that game, like 13 seconds in.....and got freaking felted the rest of the game, damn!

JacksFan40
September 15th, 2018, 10:50 PM
Ole Miss scored first in that game, like 13 seconds in.....and got freaking felted the rest of the game, damn!
I saw the first score and though Ole Miss could make it a game, then I remembered that’s the same Ole Miss who gave up 41 to SIU and remembered who they were now playing.

Houndawg
September 16th, 2018, 07:35 PM
I guess the SIU defense has improved according to houndawg but not today.

Straub had 340 yards passing though. Looks like it could be another typical Saluki team, good offense and porous defense. Lots of season left though.

We stunk it up bad for sure. Of course shouldn't have been that close with five turnovers. I still maintain that overall we have better personnel on D than we have had with the glaring exception of DL and DT in particular. On the other hand we have no seniors starting on D and only two on the second 11, so we will turn the corner but it won't be this season. Might as well start getting some of the other QBs some PT because we just played ourselves off of the playoff bubble.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 16th, 2018, 07:39 PM
We stunk it up bad for sure. Of course shouldn't have been that close with five turnovers. I still maintain that overall we have better personnel on D than we have had with the glaring exception of DL and DT in particular. On the other hand we have no seniors starting on D and only two on the second 11, so we will turn the corner but it won't be this season. Might as well start getting some of the other QBs some PT because we just played ourselves off of the playoff bubble.

I'm giving SIU the benefit of the doubt....lots of season left for sure.

If SIU develops a decent defense along with a usual good offense, they could be playoff material. SIU always has the offense to be a playoff team, it is just the defense that is lacking.

BTW, I'm making the trek down to Carbondale next year because that and YSU are the only stadiums I haven't been to. I hear the stadium is a nice one.

Houndawg
September 16th, 2018, 07:45 PM
I'm giving SIU the benefit of the doubt....lots of season left for sure.

If SIU develops a decent defense along with a usual good offense, they could be playoff material. SIU always has the offense to be a playoff team, it is just the defense that is lacking.

BTW, I'm making the trek down to Carbondale next year because that and YSU are the only stadiums I haven't been to. I hear the stadium is a nice one.

No playoffs this year, SEMO was crucial to making the bubble. We aren't likely to go 6-2 in conference play.

I live about 20 minutes from the stadium if you need a place to stay, it is a nice stadium and usually a good tailgate.

F'N Hawks
October 1st, 2018, 08:07 AM

Hmmmm.....

Bisonator
October 1st, 2018, 08:13 AM
Hmmmm.....
Another fawker triggered....xlolx

Maybe Lennon will take over for bubbles.

F'N Hawks
October 1st, 2018, 10:12 AM
Another fawker triggered....xlolx

Maybe Lennon will take over for bubbles.

Poor use of the junior high phrase "triggered". Real poor.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 1st, 2018, 07:34 PM
Hmmmm.....

clenz has said it perfectly on here....Lennon was only successful with Kill's recruits. Lennon took SIU into the crapper.

AD at Mary is perfect for him.

F'N Hawks
October 1st, 2018, 07:39 PM
clenz has said it perfectly on here....Lennon was only successful with Kill's recruits. Lennon took SIU into the crapper.

Hill is doing big things with his classes.

Schism55
October 1st, 2018, 07:44 PM

Man, U Mary football is/has been an abomination xeyebrowx

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 1st, 2018, 07:49 PM
Man, U Mary football is/has been an abomination xeyebrowx

No kidding. Went to see a local kid (plays for Bemidji) at Mary and what a beat down. Mary was not even competitive....66-0....xeekx

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 1st, 2018, 07:52 PM
Hill is doing big things with his classes.

Go look at the roster. Lots of young guys in this 3rd year.

Better coaching style with Hill....

Still doesn't change the fact that Lennon did nothing after the bulk of Kill's recruits were gone.

You'll see it next year with your crappy team....big learning curve in the Valley.

F'N Hawks
October 1st, 2018, 07:56 PM
Go look at the roster. Lots of young guys in this 3rd year.

Better coaching style with Hill....

Still doesn't change the fact that Lennon did nothing after the bulk of Kill's recruits were gone.

You'll see it next year with your crappy team....big learning curve in the Valley.

Oh we know. "The Valley". Those words just make our heart skip a beat. Cherish the next year and a half while we still have a chance.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 1st, 2018, 08:03 PM
Oh we know. "The Valley". Those words just make our heart skip a beat. Cherish the next year and a half while we still have a chance.

Laugh all you want to flickertail fan but UND will be a bottom half team coming into the league.

F'N Hawks
October 1st, 2018, 08:05 PM
Laugh all you want to flickertail fan but UND will be a bottom half team coming into the league.

Trust me nobody's laughing.

Bison Fan in NW MN
October 1st, 2018, 08:14 PM
Trust me nobody's laughing.

No UND fan should be. You guys need 5 more wins to make the playoffs this year. Which 5/6 are wins?

Montana - no
Weber - no
Sac St - toss up
Idaho - probably not on the road
PSU - toss up
UNA - call this one a win cus Jacks are crap

No playoffs in '18.