PDA

View Full Version : Its time again: Charleston Southern vs Citadel

Bucs2016
September 6th, 2018, 01:41 PM
Hello AGS, havent posted in a while, lifes been busy. But Im back, and just in time for Charleston Southern vs Citadel. CSU has a bye this week so Citadel is our next game which is why Im posting on it. Citadel has UTC next so they wont care about the CSU game for another week. But they opened with 2 very tough ones vs Wofford and UTC. We got smoked by Florida of course but came out healthy.

I have no clue what to expect. The 2 Charleston County schools havent played since 2015 playoffs. SOOO MUCH has changed since then. Both have new head coaches. Jamey Chadwell and Mike London are gone. CSUs former DC is at Furman doing well and we miss him.

CSU lost a lot off that 2016 squad. 2017 we lost to Kennessaw, Monmouth and Elon, all playoff teams, as well as Florida State. So it was 4 losses but all 4 were good teams. A rebuild year.

2018 I have no clue. QB isnt a great passer but hes mobile and does fine running the offense. So many unknowns but some great individual talent, especially on defense. The Citadel will be a huge test.

Citadel I dont know much about. Apparently they had a couple great transfer players come in and are in a bit of a QB battle after last week. A LB who started at Louisville??? Any Cid folks know how that one is working out?

I DO NOT feel good about Citadel having 2 FCS games before us, and we have 1 useless FBS blowout and a bye week. Citadel will be more polished than us for sure. You dont improve much by opening with Florida and a bye. The AD maybe didnt wanna risk yet another hurricane cancellation like we’ve had several times at CSU in September but jeez. Bad scheduling.

If I had to bet my house on it, Id say Citadel 28, CSU 17. We’ve just lost too much over 24 months and Citadel will be much more battle tested after Wofford and UTC. Our All America candidate LB Solomon Brown will have to play a heroic game to keep us in it since we lost some Front 7 guys from last year, one being an All American DL who hasnt been replaced.

Bucs2016
September 6th, 2018, 01:44 PM
On a side note, our new AD is the former Liberty AD who helped lead their huge stadium upgrades. Word around town is part of his main goals are the football stadium and basketball “arena”/church gym. Anyone close to the program that can verify/dispute that?

FUBeAR
September 6th, 2018, 02:51 PM
On a side note, our new AD is the former Liberty AD who helped lead their huge stadium upgrades. Word around town is part of his main goals are the football stadium and basketball “arena”/church gym. Anyone close to the program that can verify/dispute that?You know, it will be kind of poetic justice (and funny) if CSU gets themselves set up in a nice stadium, while The Citadel has temporary aluminum bleachers on the visitors side.

Bucs2016
September 6th, 2018, 04:37 PM
You know, it will be kind of poetic justice (and funny) if CSU gets themselves set up in a nice stadium, while The Citadel has temporary aluminum bleachers on the visitors side.

That would be nice, but we are a long way from a new stadium. The AD is gonna have a few years of fundraising first. And even then it wont be better than The Citadels. We dont draw crowds like they do, we dont have a need for one like that. Id be happy if we had something similar to maybe what Austin Peay or Gardner Webb have. Just something nicer, maybe 8K capacity.

ElCid
September 6th, 2018, 09:08 PM
Hello AGS, havent posted in a while, lifes been busy. But Im back, and just in time for Charleston Southern vs Citadel. CSU has a bye this week so Citadel is our next game which is why Im posting on it. Citadel has UTC next so they wont care about the CSU game for another week. But they opened with 2 very tough ones vs Wofford and UTC. We got smoked by Florida of course but came out healthy.

I have no clue what to expect. The 2 Charleston County schools havent played since 2015 playoffs. SOOO MUCH has changed since then. Both have new head coaches. Jamey Chadwell and Mike London are gone. CSUs former DC is at Furman doing well and we miss him.

CSU lost a lot off that 2016 squad. 2017 we lost to Kennessaw, Monmouth and Elon, all playoff teams, as well as Florida State. So it was 4 losses but all 4 were good teams. A rebuild year.

2018 I have no clue. QB isnt a great passer but hes mobile and does fine running the offense. So many unknowns but some great individual talent, especially on defense. The Citadel will be a huge test.

Citadel I dont know much about. Apparently they had a couple great transfer players come in and are in a bit of a QB battle after last week. A LB who started at Louisville??? Any Cid folks know how that one is working out?

I DO NOT feel good about Citadel having 2 FCS games before us, and we have 1 useless FBS blowout and a bye week. Citadel will be more polished than us for sure. You dont improve much by opening with Florida and a bye. The AD maybe didnt wanna risk yet another hurricane cancellation like we’ve had several times at CSU in September but jeez. Bad scheduling.

If I had to bet my house on it, Id say Citadel 28, CSU 17. We’ve just lost too much over 24 months and Citadel will be much more battle tested after Wofford and UTC. Our All America candidate LB Solomon Brown will have to play a heroic game to keep us in it since we lost some Front 7 guys from last year, one being an All American DL who hasnt been replaced.

I'll tell once this weeks game is in the books. We didn't look very polished last week. Don't know if there will be a QB issue or not. We'll see.

Bucs2016
September 7th, 2018, 09:02 AM
I'll tell once this weeks game is in the books. We didn't look very polished last week. Don't know if there will be a QB issue or not. We'll see.

I didnt like the bye in week 2 as I said, but CSUs coach seems to love it. He said it gives them 2 weeks to prepare for the triple option, which is helpful. So Im not sure now. Citadel will have more meaningful football under their belts than us, but, we’ll be rested and have 2 weeks to prep for the option.

Seems like a tossup. I’ll keep an eye on Citadel vs UTC for sure.

Bucs2016
September 8th, 2018, 12:31 PM
Well crap. Possible Category 4 Hurricane Florence is a MAIOR risk of landfall on Charleston next week. Could cancel this game. Would be the 2nd CSU/Citadel game cancelled due to hurricane and CSUs 4th or 5th cancelled game due to hurricane since mid 90s.

UUUGGGGHHHH.......please turn away Florence

Milktruck74
September 8th, 2018, 03:21 PM
The Bellhops will be hungry when they come in 0-2!!!!! Go Mocs!!!!

Reign of Terrier
September 9th, 2018, 11:51 AM
If the game isn't canceled by weather, I like the Citadel simply because they've been close in the last couple weeks and they are probably mad.

There's not a lot of good evidence that post-chadwell CSU is at the level they used to be, and though the citadel is 0-2, they fight hard in every game

ElCid
September 9th, 2018, 12:13 PM
Our improvement from game 1 to game 2 was very noticeable. Not perfect by any means. Still some tackling issues. Blocking was better. Play calling and QB confidence was much better. Special teams was very good. I will not even criticize the FG miss a huge amount as it was a sucky angle. I think if we improve as much again this week, we will handle the Bucs. I am betting the storm swings further north so no issue there.

walliver
September 9th, 2018, 12:30 PM
Could the game be moved to Thursday?
If not, the game could possibly be moved inland (The Citadel has gotten good at that). USC, Clemson, Furman, Presbyterian, Coastal, North Greenville and SC State are at home. Wofford is away for the next month so Gibbs might be available. The Citadel does like to evacuate their team to the Upstate so that would be feasible. On the other hand, if there is a likely direct hit on South Carolina, I doubt any games will be played in-state (with the possible exception of Clemson-Georgia Southern because Clemson can't pay Dabo if they refund tickets). In that case the game will likely be cancelled,

ElCid
September 9th, 2018, 01:17 PM
Could the game be moved to Thursday?
If not, the game could possibly be moved inland (The Citadel has gotten good at that). USC, Clemson, Furman, Presbyterian, Coastal, North Greenville and SC State are at home. Wofford is away for the next month so Gibbs might be available. The Citadel does like to evacuate their team to the Upstate so that would be feasible. On the other hand, if there is a likely direct hit on South Carolina, I doubt any games will be played in-state (with the possible exception of Clemson-Georgia Southern because Clemson can't pay Dabo if they refund tickets). In that case the game will likely be cancelled,

No Thursday is too close to play early at home. Can't impede evacuation if needed. As far as moving inland, that is possible, again if needed. I think it still a bit too early to make definite plans. Estimated track has already moved a bit north form three days ago so maybe it keeps going. It went from Charleston, to Myrtle Beach now its headed to Wilmington. I would say by Tuesday a decision needs to be made. The track and timing will be better known by then. But I still think it will swing further north even more. I would worry more if I was Richmond or W&M.

Side note...question....did you move? Permanently?

Bucs2016
September 9th, 2018, 03:36 PM
No Thursday is too close to play early at home. Can't impede evacuation if needed. As far as moving inland, that is possible, again if needed. I think it still a bit too early to make definite plans. Estimated track has already moved a bit north form three days ago so maybe it keeps going. It went from Charleston, to Myrtle Beach now its headed to Wilmington. I would say by Tuesday a decision needs to be made. The track and timing will be better known by then. But I still think it will swing further north even more. I would worry more if I was Richmond or W&M.

Side note...question....did you move? Permanently?

Lets hope this storm keeps moving North. Looks like a trend. If it doesnt and it hits SC, the game probably just gets cancelled.

Citadel looked good vs UTC. CSU is just such an unknown right now.

ElCid
September 9th, 2018, 03:51 PM
Lets hope this storm keeps moving North. Looks like a trend. If it doesnt and it hits SC, the game probably just gets cancelled.

Citadel looked good vs UTC. CSU is just such an unknown right now.

Eh, good is subjective. "Better" than the week before is more accurate.xlolx

walliver
September 9th, 2018, 05:07 PM
Yes I’ve moved for business reasons.

With Florence heading my way, it would be nice to be back in the mountains this week.

ElCid
September 10th, 2018, 05:42 PM
Looks like we will have to play at a neutral site. Still TBD. I hate storm moved games.

CHIP72
September 10th, 2018, 06:08 PM
Looks like we will have to play at a neutral site. Still TBD. I hate storm moved games.

I'm guessing that particularly stinks in this case because The Citadel and Charleston Southern would be an intracity, or at least an intraregional, matchup.

With the two schools so close to one another, is it possible they could reschedule the game to the middle of a week, say a Tuesday, later in the season? One of the big issues with rescheduling weather-impacted games is travel for the visiting team, but that really isn't a factor in this game.

ElCid
September 10th, 2018, 07:12 PM
I'm guessing that particularly stinks in this case because The Citadel and Charleston Southern would be an intracity, or at least an intraregional, matchup.

With the two schools so close to one another, is it possible they could reschedule the game to the middle of a week, say a Tuesday, later in the season? One of the big issues with weather-impacted games is travel for the visiting team, but that really isn't a factor in this game.

Not sure where to go. Wofford maybe. Sav St is away. Ga Southern is away. South Carolina is home. SC St is home. Clemson is at home. When we played the Hurricane game at N Greenville a couple years ago, all the upstate folks got to go so we pretty well outnumbered their fans. If it is in Georgia, it might be a bit harder. Maybe a Sunday game.