0-1
-3*

NR (42+)
Richmond

0-1
-2*

MTfan4life
September 3rd, 2018, 01:16 PM
New Hampshire is 0-1 with a 7-35 loss to Maine, and they've lost their star QB to injury.

Maine is 1-0 with a 35-7 win over New Hampshire.

In both the Coaches and STATS poll, New Hampshire is both still ranked, and ranked higher than Maine. This is a perfect example of why these polls are trash.

CenMEBlackBearFan
September 3rd, 2018, 01:47 PM
Holy Frig, I don't care where you put us but no way can u put UNH above us. We dominate them in every facet of the game and they are still 3 spots ahead of us. I understand the poll means crap after one week and it all shakes out as the season progresses but come on man. I don't want to be a Wendy Weiner but this so typical for Maine, will need to go 4-0 to get any respectxeyebrowx

MTfan4life
September 3rd, 2018, 01:48 PM
Holy Frig, I don't care where you put us but no way can u put UNH above us. We dominate them in every facet of the game and they are still 3 spots ahead of us. I understand the poll means crap after one week and it all shakes out as the season progresses but come on man. I don't want to be a Wendy Weiner but this so typical for Maine, will need to go 4-0 to get any respectxeyebrowx

It's more like New Hampshire will need to go 0-4 to lose any respect.

hoidOfYolen
September 3rd, 2018, 02:54 PM

Very true, this poll doesn't give you guys enough love. These polls are a little too "sticky" to people's preseason preconceptions.

KPSUL
September 3rd, 2018, 03:08 PM

I fully understand why someone would drop UNH out of the top 25, it was an embarrassingly poor performance. It's foolish to say "I don't care where you put us" Maine deserves to be much higher than 25th. The problem with Maine is that they have consistently failed to deliver on their potential or win any of their most critical games. I'd actually argue that quality of Maine's players has been equal, if not better, than UNHs over the past 5 years when UNH has won 5 of the 6 games played. Maine has consistently come close to beating almost all of the best CAA teams, but fails to get the job done when it counts most. While I agree Maine should be much higher (I had them 10th in AGS), and definitely higher than New Hampshire, I think you need to blame yourselves for the skepticism that exists in the big polls about the Black Bears after only one big win. The best way for you to turn that around is go at least 8-3, leaving no doubt about making the playoffs, and win a couple of playoff games. From what I saw being at the game in Orono was a team that clearly has the talent to do that.

POD Knows
September 3rd, 2018, 03:25 PM
It's more like New Hampshire will need to go 0-4 to lose any respect.This is balls on

Go Green
September 3rd, 2018, 03:31 PM

Or...

Voters know that UNH has been getting off to slow starts in recent years, losing to teams that end up being awful early before turning it around (Dartmouth 2016, Holy Cross 2017).

Maybe the pattern repeats this season. Maybe not. We will see soon enough.

CenMEBlackBearFan
September 3rd, 2018, 03:34 PM
I fully understand why someone would drop UNH out of the top 25, it was an embarrassingly poor performance. It's foolish to say "I don't care where you put us" Maine deserves to be much higher than 25th. The problem with Maine is that they have consistently failed to deliver on their potential or win any of their most critical games. I'd actually argue that quality of Maine's players has been equal, if not better, than UNHs over the past 5 years when UNH has won 5 of the 6 games played. Maine has consistently come close to beating almost all of the best CAA teams, but fails to get the job done when it counts most. While I agree Maine should be much higher (I had them 10th in AGS), and definitely higher than New Hampshire, I think you need to blame yourselves for the skepticism that exists in the big polls about the Black Bears after only one big win. The best way for you to turn that around is go at least 8-3, leaving no doubt about making the playoffs, and win a couple of playoff games. From what I saw being at the game in Orono was a team that clearly has the talent to do that.

Disagree that Maine has been better than you guys for the past 5 years and basically have underachieved according to you. Funny, I have never heard anything like this until our total domination Thursday nite. Many of us thought McDonnel was responsible for some of the success as in 2013 and the playoff win over us but now I guess we have been better right along.
Does this mean this year we are leaps and bounds better than you guysxsmiley_wix

TheKingpin28
September 3rd, 2018, 03:42 PM
Or...

Voters know that UNH has been getting off to slow starts in recent years, losing to teams that end up being awful early before turning it around (Dartmouth 2016, Holy Cross 2017).

Maybe the pattern repeats this season. Maybe not. We will see soon enough.

You realize Knight got rekt and there is a good chance he will be gone for awhile?

UNAPride
September 3rd, 2018, 03:46 PM
I'm assuming transitional teams can't receive votes in this poll? Just curious.

UNA got votes for beating SUU in the STATS poll.

KPSUL
September 3rd, 2018, 04:05 PM
Disagree that Maine has been better than you guys for the past 5 years and basically have underachieved according to you. Funny, I have never heard anything like this until our total domination Thursday nite. Many of us thought McDonnel was responsible for some of the success as in 2013 and the playoff win over us but now I guess we have been better right along.
Does this mean this year we are leaps and bounds better than you guysxsmiley_wix

Try reading what I actually posted. The Maine Players have been equal or better than UNH's the Maine team has been significantly worse - that is the definition of underachieving and it is the "Maine" reason why Coaches poll and Stats voters are not jumping on the Black Bear express after one big win. If you want specific examples look at how many U Maine players have made it to the NFL vs UNH. As far as key offensive weapons I'd take Marcus Wasilewski at QB and Josh Mack at RB over anyone who has played those positions at UNH since 2013. I hope Maine continues to be successful this season, I don't look at this narrowly in a Maine vs UNH context, suggest you don't either. I'm not sure what you've heard or never heard, but apparently it hasn't been from me.

Gil Dobie
September 3rd, 2018, 04:07 PM
I'm assuming transitional teams can't receive votes in this poll? Just curious.

UNA got votes for beating SUU in the STATS poll.

NDSU finished #23 in the Sports Network Poll in 2004, #4 in 2006, #9 in 2007
Coaches Poll #7 in 2007

5 year transition back then.

ccd494
September 3rd, 2018, 04:11 PM
I don't understand why people get worked up about the Coaches' poll. You know how many FCS games coaches watch between Thursday night and Sunday evening (when they vote)? One. Their own. They are either doing game prep, or coaching their own game, or starting to put in the plan for next week. There isn't time to watch 3 games or follow another 4 online like message board posters have.

These polls are filled out by either 1.) an unqualified SID or 2.) a coach who hasn't seen any other games and MAYBE checked the scores. Don't worry about it.