View 1: https://streamable.com/xdj4g

View 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XklZNI3GoU

GAD
September 2nd, 2018, 12:34 PM
It made the ESPN top 10

JayJ79
September 2nd, 2018, 02:53 PM
I'm sure there has been a punt blocked and recovered in the endzone before.

kdinva
September 2nd, 2018, 03:10 PM

technically, the defender somehow corralled the ball in his torso, it never hit the ground, so one could call this a "return" vs. "block + recovery".

bottom line, no one should ever blow past the long snapper untouched by both the guards and upbacks.....

superman7515
September 2nd, 2018, 03:22 PM

Yes, but this wasn't a ruled a blocked punt because the punter kicked the ball without the ball being blocked or the punter being touched; the defender just pulled the ball out of the air. It was ruled a 3-yard punt return for a touchdown and set the record for shortest punt return TD in NCAA history.

ElCid
September 2nd, 2018, 03:47 PM
technically, the defender somehow corralled the ball in his torso, it never hit the ground, so one could call this a "return" vs. "block + recovery".

bottom line, no one should ever blow past the long snapper untouched by both the guards and upbacks.....

A record huh? Well...they say all publicity is good regardless...but I am not so sure I would want this record. We have gotten a couple of your punts blocked over the last few years. I think some special team emphasis is in order. He did sail right through.

Reign of Terrier
September 2nd, 2018, 03:59 PM
I feel bad for VMI.

kdinva
September 2nd, 2018, 04:11 PM
We have gotten a couple of your punts blocked over the last few years. I think some special team emphasis is in order..

I would hope the VMI coaches would spend 20 minutes each day, the next 4 days on punt protection.

FormerPokeCenter
September 2nd, 2018, 04:29 PM
I think they need to review the tape. I kinda feel like that was a two yard return.

Laker
September 2nd, 2018, 05:11 PM
I think they need to review the tape. I kinda feel like that was a two yard return.

My first game in junior college, we were playing at Inver Hills on a hot, windy day. Their punter was lined up in the back of the end zone and punted almost straight in the air. Brian Teigland, our safety from Hutchinson, MN ran up, grabbed the ball and stepped into the end zone. He was credited with a two yard return for a touchdown. It was odd that everyone else just stood there.

PaladinFan
September 3rd, 2018, 05:06 AM
My first game in junior college, we were playing at Inver Hills on a hot, windy day. Their punter was lined up in the back of the end zone and punted almost straight in the air. Brian Teigland, our safety from Hutchinson, MN ran up, grabbed the ball and stepped into the end zone. He was credited with a two yard return for a touchdown. It was odd that everyone else just stood there.

Had one of those in a high school game long ago. Opposing punter kicking from his endzone booted the ball straight up. A defensive tackle, believe it or not, caught the ball and fell backwards into the endzone for a touchdown.

I blocked one punt in practice and was sorry I did it. That stuff hurts, man. You think it's glorious watching it on tv, but trying to catch a cannon ball off a punter's foot is no joke. I bet the Toledo player felt that one.

Laker
September 3rd, 2018, 06:41 AM
Had one of those in a high school game long ago. Opposing punter kicking from his endzone booted the ball straight up. A defensive tackle, believe it or not, caught the ball and fell backwards into the endzone for a touchdown.

I blocked one punt in practice and was sorry I did it. That stuff hurts, man. You think it's glorious watching it on tv, but trying to catch a cannon ball off a punter's foot is no joke. I bet the Toledo player felt that one.

We didn't have a scoreboard when I was in high school- no clock either. Lots of confusion because the officials kept both on the field. I blocked a punt (fortunately with my hands- the first time I blocked one with my stomach and got the wind knocked out- thought I was going to die). Scooped it up on the bounce, felt I was being tackled and reached out at the goal line. Got buried in the pile up. When I handed the ball to the ref, he told me it was a good thing that I had reached out because the game ended on that play. My cousin did buy me a chocolate malt that night to celebrate.......

FUBeAR
September 3rd, 2018, 07:58 AM
I bet the Toledo player felt that one.Dude didn't act like it. Acted like he does that ish every single day...Cool as the other side of the pillow..."ain't nuthin' but a thang" attitude. I love it! Reminded me of David Pollock's Sack/Strip or INT/Score to win the game for UGa @ South Carolina in 2002. Hard to believe that was 16 years ago.

BTW - The punter is only at 10-11 yards deep (15 is 'standard' for punts) and he had 9+ more yards of end zone that he could have backed up into. Just curious as to why. He's obviously not a "1-Step" punter as this is blocked on his 3rd step. Can their Long Snapper not get it back there 15 yards or did the Punter miscount the stripes and think the ball was on the 15 instead of the 10? Anyone else watch this game and notice the Punter depth on other punts? If the Keydets plan to have a 3-step punter's depth at 10 yards, this will not be their last blocked punt this season.

PaladinFan
September 3rd, 2018, 08:46 AM
Dude didn't act like it. Acted like he does that ish every single day...Cool as the other side of the pillow..."ain't nuthin' but a thang" attitude. I love it! Reminded me of David Pollock's Sack/Strip or INT/Score to win the game for UGa @ South Carolina in 2002. Hard to believe that was 16 years ago.

BTW - The punter is only at 10-11 yards deep (15 is 'standard' for punts) and he had 9+ more yards of end zone that he could have backed up into. Just curious as to why. He's obviously not a "1-Step" punter as this is blocked on his 3rd step. Can their Long Snapper not get it back there 15 yards or did the Punter miscount the stripes and think the ball was on the 15 instead of the 10? Anyone else watch this game and notice the Punter depth on other punts? If the Keydets plan to have a 3-step punter's depth at 10 yards, this will not be their last blocked punt this season.

I think we were 13 yards in high school, so 10 certainly seems shallow.

Of course, I played both ways and was the long snapper. By the fourth quarter I'd tell the punter that the snaps were going to go about 10 yards give or take 5 yards to his left or right. Probably end over end too.

Maybe they just don't have a guy that can get it back there. I guess there's no magic to the distance, though. Maybe VMI is just cutting edge.

FUBeAR
September 3rd, 2018, 09:12 AM
Of course, I played both ways and was the long snapper. By the fourth quarter I'd tell the punter that the snaps were going to go about 10 yards give or take 5 yards to his left or right.

I guess there's no magic to the distance, though. Maybe VMI is just cutting edge.

"Same-sies" in HS and we were 15 yards for punts & 7 yards for Placement Kicks...the whole game
Backup LS @ FU and we were 15 yards for punts & 7 yards for Placement Kicks...the whole game

Maybe not "magic," but pretty much tried & true for at least 40 years - have some seen some variation in punting depth in recent years with advent of a few 1-step Punters and Rugby-style roll-out punts, but not with 'straight' 3-Step Punters.

VMI is going to get cut with that edge (often) if this is their Standard with a 3-step 'straight' Punter.