PDA

View Full Version : (Week 2) Furman vs. Elon

FUGameBreaker
September 2nd, 2018, 09:17 AM
Huge FCS showdown between two top 25 teams in a rematch from the playoffs last season. Both teams trying to make a statement, to the victor go the spoils!

FUGameBreaker
September 2nd, 2018, 09:18 AM
2017 Playoff game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_2Cy3TGfko

caribbeanhen
September 2nd, 2018, 09:58 AM
is this not the third game between these two teams in a year....

PaladinFan
September 2nd, 2018, 09:59 AM

It is. Elon won close at Furman. Furman won close at Elon in the post season.

FUGameBreaker
September 2nd, 2018, 10:10 AM

These teams should certainly know each other very well come this Saturday

katss07
September 2nd, 2018, 10:13 AM
This matchup gets kinda old, but it was fun in the playoffs. Maybe kind of developing into a rivalry. I always seem to pick against Furman, yet they almost always prove me wrong. I’m still taking Elon.

Is this the GOTW?

PaladinFan
September 2nd, 2018, 10:20 AM
This matchup gets kinda old, but it was fun in the playoffs. Maybe kind of developing into a rivalry. I always seem to pick against Furman, yet they almost always prove me wrong. I’m still taking Elon.

Is this the GOTW?

This is my homerism, but I thought Furman looked like the better team both times last year.

Furman played uncharacteristically ugly games both times. In the playoff game, Furman spotted Elon great field positions with two special teams turnovers. Furman also threw a pick in the endzone going in.

It was a tight game and Elon is a really good team, but you got the impression Furman could have won by a few scores with a cleaner game.

FUGameBreaker
September 2nd, 2018, 10:25 AM

Is this the GOTW?

Yeah guess it probably is, other than this game I don't think there will be any other game between top 25 FCS teams in week 2

WCU-Cats!
September 2nd, 2018, 02:20 PM
Good barometer game for both FU and Elon

hoidOfYolen
September 2nd, 2018, 03:47 PM
It will be interesting to see how the departure of Blazejowski will affect the offense against a not top-10 FBS team. Couldn't really see much in that game against Clemson. Nor could you see much in the game for Elon against USF. I think if you go off of returning talent alone you can make a case for either team to win. But Elon's run defense has gotten really good over the last year, and if Furman continues to run the option I think they won't get very far. Elon's offense was pitiful against USF, but I attribute that to the lack of overall pass plays and the two tipped INTs on the few pass plays we did have. If we open it up against Furman we can really score some points with our multiple offensive threats. I have Elon by 10 in this one.

wcugrad95
September 2nd, 2018, 04:19 PM
Based on recent history, hard for me to imagine giving either team 10 points - more like a pick 'em, but I fell back on my SoCon homerism to vote for the Paladins.

Reign of Terrier
September 2nd, 2018, 04:26 PM
Wouldn't be surprised with either team winning. I picked Furman out of Socon homerism, but it'll be interesting to see how Furman does against a more equal opponent without Blazejowski

SU DOG
September 2nd, 2018, 04:32 PM
Based on recent history, hard for me to imagine giving either team 10 points - more like a pick 'em, but I fell back on my SoCon homerism to vote for the Paladins.

Yep, me too.

FUGameBreaker
September 2nd, 2018, 06:14 PM
https://twitter.com/ElonFootball/status/1036370037890842624

whoanellie
September 2nd, 2018, 07:12 PM
This should be a really awesome matchup for Elon in determining how much of a culture change Coach Cignetti has had on the Elon Community.
Last years playoff game at home was during Thanksgiving break so there was no home crowd. A home crowd can make a difference. Talent wise We are much more talented and deeper all along the roster. We also added a kicker that makes an EP. Furman has some really talented players and We have always had a healthy rivalry. Wins against Furman are great and are significant. It's Hall of Fame Weekend. Inductee Terrell Hudgins may just have one more game of eligibility left. It should be a 10k crowd.

PaladinNation
September 2nd, 2018, 07:29 PM
It will be interesting to see how the departure of Blazejowski will affect the offense against a not top-10 FBS team. Couldn't really see much in that game against Clemson. Nor could you see much in the game for Elon against USF. I think if you go off of returning talent alone you can make a case for either team to win. But Elon's run defense has gotten really good over the last year, and if Furman continues to run the option I think they won't get very far. Elon's offense was pitiful against USF, but I attribute that to the lack of overall pass plays and the two tipped INTs on the few pass plays we did have. If we open it up against Furman we can really score some points with our multiple offensive threats. I have Elon by 10 in this one.

you may be right Elon might win by more than 10 or less than 10 as could Furman.

I have respect for Elon and your run defense might have gotten really good in the off-season - we will see Saturday.
Furman's defense on paper and based on the performance on Saturday has improved, especially at the corners.
Not sure how many times it will have to be said but Furman isn't an option team. The Paladins do run some option, hell I'm not sure right now anyone knows exactly what to expect from the Furman offense.

PaladinFan
September 2nd, 2018, 08:46 PM

A couple of thoughts in response.

1. We still don't know what we have at QB. Blazejowski was a good player for us, but he didn't single handedly carry the offense or anything. Our options at QB should be fine.

2. I think both teams will show a good defense. Furman, too, has gotten better and did a solid job on Elon's offense in the post season.

3. Furman runs option, but they are not exclusively an option team. They throw it well. In the playoff game Furman ran for 232 and threw for 176. The Paladin fullbacks also reeled off some big runs.

PaladinFan
September 2nd, 2018, 08:48 PM
This should be a really awesome matchup for Elon in determining how much of a culture change Coach Cignetti has had on the Elon Community.
Last years playoff game at home was during Thanksgiving break so there was no home crowd. A home crowd can make a difference. Talent wise We are much more talented and deeper all along the roster. We also added a kicker that makes an EP. Furman has some really talented players and We have always had a healthy rivalry. Wins against Furman are great and are significant. It's Hall of Fame Weekend. Inductee Terrell Hudgins may just have one more game of eligibility left. It should be a 10k crowd.

Hudgins used to terrorize us.

On TV, it looked like Furman had more fans at Elon than the home team did last November. I wouldn't be surprised to see a good contingent there this time either - Furman has a lot of alumni in the area.

MTfan4life
September 2nd, 2018, 09:05 PM
Yeah guess it probably is, other than this game I don't think there will be any other game between top 25 FCS teams in week 2

Eastern Washington @ Northern Arizona
Montana State @ South Dakota State

I would assume all four of those teams will be ranked with NAU having beaten UTEP by 20 and MSU having beaten WIU.

FUGameBreaker
September 2nd, 2018, 11:00 PM
Eastern Washington @ Northern Arizona
Montana State @ South Dakota State

I would assume all four of those teams will be ranked with NAU having beaten UTEP by 20 and MSU having beaten WIU.

I could see NAU getting into the STATS (media) poll, not so sure Montana St. will get in there, they were only getting 8 votes last week and they beat an unranked (27th) team at home by 3
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/polls.asp?div=fcs

MTfan4life
September 3rd, 2018, 01:38 AM
I could see NAU getting into the STATS (media) poll, not so sure Montana St. will get in there, they were only getting 8 votes last week and they beat an unranked (27th) team at home by 3
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/polls.asp?div=fcs

That's a fair point. I was referring to the AGS poll as this is the AGS site, though. That's usually what the general population here is referring to when talking about a team being ranked. Plus, the STATS poll is trash, and always has been. It's better than the coaches poll, but it's riddled with slot voting and region heavy voting. I'm curious to see where someone like New Hampshire will be sitting. I could see them being above Maine.

Even with the AGS poll, Montana State might not be ranked, but I still could see them sneaking in there, as WIU was a playoff team last season.

FUGameBreaker
September 3rd, 2018, 02:13 AM
That's a fair point. I was referring to the AGS poll as this is the AGS site, though. That's usually what the general population here is referring to when talking about a team being ranked. Plus, the STATS poll is trash, and always has been. It's better than the coaches poll, but it's riddled with slot voting and region heavy voting. I'm curious to see where someone like New Hampshire will be sitting. I could see them being above Maine.

Even with the AGS poll, Montana State might not be ranked, but I still could see them sneaking in there, as WIU was a playoff team last season.

I am with you man, I like the AGS poll more, heck they have ole Furman the highest coming into the season! But for the last 20 years or so I have always regarded the media poll as the main FCS poll (sports network now stats) that the playoff committee will wind up looking into the most so guess that's why I tend to refer to that one foremost a bit. At any rate all 3 of those games this coming week will be great games!

PaladinFan
September 3rd, 2018, 06:49 AM
Watched some of Elon's game against USF. A couple of thoughts:

These teams are familiar with one another. This will be the third time they've played in the last year. I don't expect either team will have to reinvent the wheel game planning. Both teams played well enough to win both games, so both coaching staffs can feel comfortable with the work they've already put in to this point.

Watching Elon play USF, I think you see a clearly contrasting style to Furman. Elon is noticeably bigger, with, I think, 13 players over 290, 7 or so over 300, and a couple of those as big as 330+ Furman, by contrast, has one player on the roster over 300 (a backup OG), and even that guy has lost 25 pounds since last year.

Outside of the backup running back (Thomas, I think) I did not see a ton of team speed on Elon's side. USF was able to out run the Elon defense a number of times. Furman too was able to reel off a number of big plays last November, with at least four "explosive plays" of 20+ yards. I'd expect Furman to try to exploit that matchup again.

Both teams, I imagine, will try to dictate their style of game. Elon will want a grind-it-out type of game where their big men will start leaning on you late. Furman will probably look to keep things a bit more lively and get those big men chasing shadows. Furman notched three sacks against the Phoenix last November and arguably has a better pass rush this season.

At this early stage, if I had to circle two things it would be this: First, Furman is going to need to dictate the middle of the field. Last November, Elon struggled against Furman's two big running backs, Dirks and Wilcox. Those two had roughly 150 yards rushing and both broke big runs. When Furman is able to control the interior run, they can gravely harm a defense on the outside with the passing game. Elon has to limit that.

Second, Elon needs to confuse Furman's young QBs. The utility of the 3-3-5 is that the offense doesn't necessarily know where the 7th or 8th defender is coming from. Clemson, unsurprisingly, was able to change up their looks a good bit and show Furman looks that really weren't there. The Paladins have a new C and new QBs, and if I were the Phoenix DC, that's what I would exploit.

phoenix3
September 3rd, 2018, 08:58 AM
I made the homer pick too. I wouldn't be surprised to see lots of offense. Elon can run the ball and pass as well. We don't do a lot of pitch outs and sweeps, like Furman, We're more between the tackles with occasional off tackle, but none the less effective. Really looking forward to the game.

PaladinFan
September 3rd, 2018, 09:17 AM
I made the homer pick too. I wouldn't be surprised to see lots of offense. Elon can run the ball and pass as well. We don't do a lot of pitch outs and sweeps, like Furman, We're more between the tackles with occasional off tackle, but none the less effective. Really looking forward to the game.

I didn't follow Elon closely, but do they go into a QB rotation - or is Davis Cheek "the guy." I saw Greene a good bit against USF, but he seemed to go out as a reserve instead of a change of pace.

From what I could see, Greene helped the offense a bit late in the game. He appeared pure read option out of the shotgun. Maybe attempted one pass that went 4 feet behind his receiver.

PaladinNation
September 3rd, 2018, 09:49 AM
One more thing to add to Furman's offense compared to last year. A speed bump.
Blaze was shifty and deceptively quick, he ran for over 50 yards in the playoff game.

Lincoln and Grainger are in a different category, Grainger put stress on the Clemson D when he ran the ball, Elon will have to account for both of them.

Freshmen Dejaun Bell and Corey Watkins made some plays at Clemson. Bell is a jitter-bug and it's saying something when you look quick and fast against Clemson.

Furman now has three legit speed guys in the skill position; Morehead (100m 10.87), Watkins (100m 10.89), and Bell (4x400m state champ) I have no idea how Quarles will use them this season, I'm not sure if the Clemson game tells us much.

Concerning Dirks, Dirks faced a brick wall at Clemson, the good news was seeing Deon Sanders bust a run for 45 yards. Sanders is a big back (229) but his skill set is different than Dirks - he's also an excellent receiver out of the backfield.

PaladinFan
September 3rd, 2018, 10:00 AM
Sounds like from reports on our forum that Harris Roberts would be the guy if healthy, but he's been dealing with a banged up hand.

Grainger has come on strong, but is relatively new to the QB position. So, that's a cause for concern.

Just reading between the lines, it looked like Furman spent much of the preseason trying to get 4 QBs ready to play. It sounds like this week that they are focused on two. That should help.

FUGameBreaker
September 3rd, 2018, 11:10 AM
One more thing to add to Furman's offense compared to last year. A speed bump.
Blaze was shifty and deceptively quick, he ran for over 50 yards in the playoff game.

Lincoln and Grainger are in a different category, Grainger put stress on the Clemson D when he ran the ball, Elon will have to account for both of them.

Freshmen Dejaun Bell and Corey Watkins made some plays at Clemson. Bell is a jitter-bug and it's saying something when you look quick and fast against Clemson.

Furman now has three legit speed guys in the skill position; Morehead (100m 10.87), Watkins (100m 10.89), and Bell (4x400m state champ) I have no idea how Quarles will use them this season, I'm not sure if the Clemson game tells us much.

Concerning Dirks, Dirks faced a brick wall at Clemson, the good news was seeing Deon Sanders bust a run for 45 yards. Sanders is a big back (229) but his skill set is different than Dirks - he's also an excellent receiver out of the backfield.

Gordon at WR is a big time speed guy as well
Yep happy to see Deon making a big play, I would slot him behind Dirks as the back-up hoping to create another big 1-2 punch like Wilcox and Dirks last year

PaladinFan
September 3rd, 2018, 11:15 AM
Gordon at WR is a big time speed guy as well
Yep happy to see Deon making a big play, I would slot him behind Dirks as the back-up hoping to create another big 1-2 punch like Wilcox and Dirks last year

Backup RB is, outside of QB, my biggest concern.

Ridge Gibson has played a lot of football for us, but has primarily been deployed as a blocker. Sanders probably has a little more pickup and go and is a better receiver. We are just going to need someone to step into Wilcox's role.

I was glad to see Sanders reel off a big run against Clemson. If you can break a 45 yarder against that crowd, you can probably do it against some others.

FUGameBreaker
September 3rd, 2018, 11:19 AM
Backup RB is, outside of QB, my biggest concern.

Ridge Gibson has played a lot of football for us, but has primarily been deployed as a blocker. Sanders probably has a little more pickup and go and is a better receiver. We are just going to need someone to step into Wilcox's role.

I was glad to see Sanders reel off a big run against Clemson. If you can break a 45 yarder against that crowd, you can probably do it against some others.

Indeed!

FUGameBreaker
September 3rd, 2018, 11:21 AM
To FCS fans wanting to watch this battle, game will be steamed on COLLEGE SPORTS LIVE:

http://www.collegesportslive.com/

http://www.collegesportslive.com/?media=576315

https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1036607243070988289

FUGameBreaker
September 3rd, 2018, 12:21 PM
So going by the AGS poll results after week 1 this is basically a top 20 matchup (#20 Furman @ #18 Elon)

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?211551-AGS-Poll-Results-WEEK-1-POLL-2018-SEASON

hoidOfYolen
September 3rd, 2018, 02:37 PM
I didn't follow Elon closely, but do they go into a QB rotation - or is Davis Cheek "the guy." I saw Greene a good bit against USF, but he seemed to go out as a reserve instead of a change of pace.

From what I could see, Greene helped the offense a bit late in the game. He appeared pure read option out of the shotgun. Maybe attempted one pass that went 4 feet behind his receiver.

They don't typically give Greene reps in games. Cheek is the main guy. Cignetti mentioned on their coaches conference call this week that they pulled Cheek to make sure he was healthy for Furman given that they wanted to run the ball 100% of the time anyway to run out clock.

PaladinFan
September 3rd, 2018, 02:57 PM
They don't typically give Greene reps in games. Cheek is the main guy. Cignetti mentioned on their coaches conference call this week that they pulled Cheek to make sure he was healthy for Furman given that they wanted to run the ball 100% of the time anyway to run out clock.

Jalen Greene, oddly enough, committed to Furman before decomitting and switching to Elon.

In our offense, he'd probably be the starter this year. I wonder whether he ever second guesses that decision.

FUGameBreaker
September 3rd, 2018, 03:01 PM
https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1036680063830437889

FUGameBreaker
September 3rd, 2018, 03:33 PM
https://twitter.com/ElonFootball/status/1036687557466234880

SU FAN
September 3rd, 2018, 08:08 PM
Go SoCon!!

whoanellie
September 3rd, 2018, 08:36 PM
I see this as ironic
Jalen Greene, oddly enough, committed to Furman before decomitting and switching to Elon.

In our offense, he'd probably be the starter this year. I wonder whether he ever second guesses that decision.

FUGameBreaker
September 4th, 2018, 09:47 AM
Early weather forecast calling for a chance of scattered thunderstorms Saturday, obviously this can change but might work out well if we don't get the showers and just get a bit cooler evening temps for the game
https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/Elon+NC+27244:4:US

Purpleglasses
September 4th, 2018, 11:02 AM
Check out this game simulation...
this one is going to be a tight one...but what else is new? #GoDins

http://www.compughterratings.com/CFB/simulations

FUGameBreaker
September 4th, 2018, 12:28 PM
Indeed
Last 3 Furman vs. Elon matchups have been decided by total of 7 pts.

hoidOfYolen
September 4th, 2018, 12:51 PM
Check out this game simulation...
this one is going to be a tight one...but what else is new? #GoDins

http://www.compughterratings.com/CFB/simulations

I'm not able to find any information on that site that shows their methodology or algorithms (or even inspirations for their algorithms) other than a white paper on proving the matrix math they use to define their rankings, which doesn't give you anything regarding how they decide the values for each team. How do they figure Elon's offense gets a C+? How do they figure the home team advantage only adds a one-point swing for the Phoenix? Many questions here.

Given the strength the Phoenix showed against USF at times, especially in the trenches, I don't think Elon will have trouble with putting up points. It seems though that Furman's offense had our number last year, putting up lots of points against us in both matches. Our run defense looked very strong against USF, but pass defense was very lacking. Adjustments will need to be made to ensure that Furman doesn't pass the ball to the outside comeback routes like USF did.

PaladinFan
September 4th, 2018, 02:41 PM
I'm not able to find any information on that site that shows their methodology or algorithms (or even inspirations for their algorithms) other than a white paper on proving the matrix math they use to define their rankings, which doesn't give you anything regarding how they decide the values for each team. How do they figure Elon's offense gets a C+? How do they figure the home team advantage only adds a one-point swing for the Phoenix? Many questions here.

Given the strength the Phoenix showed against USF at times, especially in the trenches, I don't think Elon will have trouble with putting up points. It seems though that Furman's offense had our number last year, putting up lots of points against us in both matches. Our run defense looked very strong against USF, but pass defense was very lacking. Adjustments will need to be made to ensure that Furman doesn't pass the ball to the outside comeback routes like USF did.

We don't know much about Furman's pass game. Furman didn't have much time to throw against Clemson.

General feeling among Furman fans is that we are faster on offense than we were last year. The TE, Jake Walker, is probably not as fast as Andy Schumpert was last year, but is considered a bigger target and a better receiver. A few of the incoming freshmen can really scoot, particularly at WR and TB.

Of course, the QB is untested in that regard. So, maybe the offense puts up more points. Maybe it doesn't.

FUGameBreaker
September 5th, 2018, 06:07 AM
FU vs. Elon game notes (including updated depth chart)

http://furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2018-19/2018_Furman_Game_Notes_-_Stats.pdf

SCPALADIN
September 5th, 2018, 07:10 AM

http://furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2018-19/2018_Furman_Game_Notes_-_Stats.pdf

Hunter needs to update the schedule portion. We do NOT have a 1 game losing streak to Colgate...we're 3-0 against them.

PaladinNation
September 5th, 2018, 07:20 AM

Looks like the only real change is QB order…

Lincoln or Grainger
Roberts

FUGameBreaker
September 5th, 2018, 11:30 AM
Looks like the only real change is QB order…

Lincoln or Grainger
Roberts

Yep that's the big takeaway, I bet we stick with 1 guy this game unless he is struggling, but question is who will we send out there first Lincoln or Grainger?

woffordgrad94
September 5th, 2018, 11:33 AM
Furman over the SoCon abandoners!

SU DOG
September 5th, 2018, 11:46 AM
I have a terribly small sample to judge from, of course, but I think that Lincoln is the best QB that Furman has. We shall see.

PaladinFan
September 5th, 2018, 02:02 PM
I went back and watched a good chunk of the first half of Clemson/Furman and didn't hate what I saw. Admittedly, it wasn't necessarily pretty, but there is plenty to build on.

Offensively, Furman displayed some looks we didn't see a lot of last season. Several times, you could see Furman set up their blocking on a play only to be beat by the Clemson DL. Furman won't see a defensive line like that again, so there is a good chance that some of those tackles at the line of scrimmage or for a loss may end up big gainers against a defense that is a step slower. Guys are hitting the hole hard, but played a bit timid.

Defensively, there's a lot to like. Furman defenders look fundamentally sound, and from what I saw exhibited pretty good tackling. Once a Paladin defender made it to the ball, the Clemson player typically hit the turf.

I was also pleasantly surprised to see press-man coverage in passing downs. Furman wasn't afraid to walk CBs right up on Clemson receivers and play bump and run down the field. The coaching staff must have a lot of confidence in the pass defense to play that sort of coverage against those receivers.

hoidOfYolen
September 5th, 2018, 02:08 PM
I went back and watched a good chunk of the first half of Clemson/Furman and didn't hate what I saw. Admittedly, it wasn't necessarily pretty, but there is plenty to build on.

Offensively, Furman displayed some looks we didn't see a lot of last season. Several times, you could see Furman set up their blocking on a play only to be beat by the Clemson DL. Furman won't see a defensive line like that again, so there is a good chance that some of those tackles at the line of scrimmage or for a loss may end up big gainers against a defense that is a step slower. Guys are hitting the hole hard, but played a bit timid.

Defensively, there's a lot to like. Furman defenders look fundamentally sound, and from what I saw exhibited pretty good tackling. Once a Paladin defender made it to the ball, the Clemson player typically hit the turf.

I was also pleasantly surprised to see press-man coverage in passing downs. Furman wasn't afraid to walk CBs right up on Clemson receivers and play bump and run down the field. The coaching staff must have a lot of confidence in the pass defense to play that sort of coverage against those receivers.

Good points. We'll see if Furman chooses to play press-man coverage against Elon (I can't see why not). If so we'll need to utilize slants, post routes, and over the top mismatches to keep the defense on their toes. Playing man defense also makes it harder to stack the box against the strong run from Elon.

PaladinFan
September 5th, 2018, 02:48 PM
Good points. We'll see if Furman chooses to play press-man coverage against Elon (I can't see why not). If so we'll need to utilize slants, post routes, and over the top mismatches to keep the defense on their toes. Playing man defense also makes it harder to stack the box against the strong run from Elon.

I may be overreacting to this, but in the limited pass attempts I saw Elon make against USF, several times the defense jarred the ball loose from the receivers. Almost like they were trying to catch the ball with their body, not their hands.

I looked back, and I think Furman had four pass breakups against Elon last season. I don't know if that's a trend, but half a dozen or so pass breakups in the last two games is at least notable.

Furman's got some good DBs. In passing situations, they seem to deploy Amir Trapp in the nickle against slot receivers. They can matchup some pretty big bodies on the outside. If Furman ran man coverage against Clemson and their WRs, I imagine you better believe you'll see it on Saturday.

FUGameBreaker
September 5th, 2018, 04:17 PM
FCS Week 2 (Included is FU vs. Elon preview)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hmc5937Yps

hoidOfYolen
September 5th, 2018, 06:48 PM
FCS Week 2 (Included is FU vs. Elon preview)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hmc5937Yps

Really liking the content coming out of the FBGP lately

wcugrad95
September 5th, 2018, 09:17 PM
Was that before you heard the prediction, or after :)

FUGameBreaker
September 6th, 2018, 03:57 PM
Dins to deploy 2 QB system (both freshmen)
https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/college/furman/2018/09/06/furman-football-team-move-forward-freshmen-quarterback/1207782002/

FUBeAR
September 6th, 2018, 04:13 PM
https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/college/furman/2018/09/06/furman-football-team-move-forward-freshmen-quarterback/1207782002/”You've reached your limit of 5 free articles.”

synopsis & a couple of the more can compelling quotes, perhaps? Please.

PaladinFan
September 6th, 2018, 04:15 PM
https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/college/furman/2018/09/06/furman-football-team-move-forward-freshmen-quarterback/1207782002/

As I went back and watched the Clemson game, it does not seem like Furman did much (if anything) different offensively whether Lincoln or Grainger was in the game.

For that reason, I do not think we will see a pure two QB system. Most often when you see two QBs, one of the guys is often a better passer and the other a runner. There are specific packages put in for the other guy. What I saw Saturday is two guys that largely have the same skill set running the offense.

My best is Lincoln starts and he's the guy.

- - - Updated - - -

”You've reached your limit of 5 free articles.”

synopsis & a couple of the more can compelling quotes, perhaps? Please.

Everything you already know - Roberts has a hand injury and Hendrix is essentially going to narrow everything to Lincoln/Grainger who "will play."

FUGameBreaker
September 7th, 2018, 06:15 AM
https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1037759755404693505

PaladinFan
September 7th, 2018, 06:31 AM
A few thoughts heading into game day.

These are two teams that are similar in many ways, yet different in many ways. I think much of the game will come down to which team can force the other out of their comfort zone and, ultimately, limit mistakes.

Offensively, Furman is going to have to get the inside run game working. Elon runs a 3-3 front, which is susceptible to the sort of veer/option attack the Paladin offense can run. Furman had success here last season, running the fullbacks for about 150 in the playoff game.

The concern for Furman is that we have a new center and new QB. The 3-3 puts defenders where you do not necessarily expect them in a more traditional alignment. The center has to deal with a big NG hovering directly over him and a MLB that can attack either A gap. The QB will have to vary the reads a little bit on the option, because there are going to be a lot of maroon jerseys hovering around out there.

If Furman can establish the inside run, Elon may have trouble in the passing game. USF was able to pick them apart back there. In the two games last season, Furman was able to hit on some big plays throwing the ball, with two 70+ yard touchdown catches. You know Furman will be looking for the home run ball all game.

Defensively, Furman has to slow down Malcom Summers. Elon, by contrast, really has to get the run game going. I do not think the Phoenix want to turn this into a game like last season where Davis Cheek is throwing it 40+ times. The Paladins sport a pretty strong secondary and an aggressive pass rush. Elon will need to limit that aggressiveness with their run game.

The likely big advantage for Elon is with their offensive line. Furman isn't huge up front, and even then slimmed down this season from last. The Paladin front is very active and can move, but may struggle at times against a much bigger Elon front 5. The Phoenix are going to have to hat on Furman ILB Elijah McKoy, though. Watching him against Clemson, Furman did a good job of keeping him clean and letting him get to the ball and make tackles. His battle against Summers might be the matchup of the game.

I expect a good game. Both teams are built differently and running different systems, but are fundamentally sound, physical, good football teams. Both clubs are well familiar with the other and should be pretty well ready. The game may well come down to a big play or a turnover late.

PaladinFan
September 7th, 2018, 06:33 AM
https://twitter.com/PaladinFootball/status/1037759755404693505

Several writers (who picked Elon to win, incidentally) said Elon "missed" the extra point.

Technically correct, but missing an extra point and having it blocked are different things in my book. One is just an occasional mishap, the other is a rare feat of defensive intensity.

hoidOfYolen
September 7th, 2018, 08:22 AM
Several writers (who picked Elon to win, incidentally) said Elon "missed" the extra point.

Technically correct, but missing an extra point and having it blocked are different things in my book. One is just an occasional mishap, the other is a rare feat of defensive intensity.

That XP was totally going to miss even if it wasn't blocked. It was shanked from the beginning, I think.

hoidOfYolen
September 7th, 2018, 08:41 AM
A few thoughts heading into game day.

These are two teams that are similar in many ways, yet different in many ways. I think much of the game will come down to which team can force the other out of their comfort zone and, ultimately, limit mistakes.

Offensively, Furman is going to have to get the inside run game working. Elon runs a 3-3 front, which is susceptible to the sort of veer/option attack the Paladin offense can run. Furman had success here last season, running the fullbacks for about 150 in the playoff game.

The concern for Furman is that we have a new center and new QB. The 3-3 puts defenders where you do not necessarily expect them in a more traditional alignment. The center has to deal with a big NG hovering directly over him and a MLB that can attack either A gap. The QB will have to vary the reads a little bit on the option, because there are going to be a lot of maroon jerseys hovering around out there.

If Furman can establish the inside run, Elon may have trouble in the passing game. USF was able to pick them apart back there. In the two games last season, Furman was able to hit on some big plays throwing the ball, with two 70+ yard touchdown catches. You know Furman will be looking for the home run ball all game.

Defensively, Furman has to slow down Malcom Summers. Elon, by contrast, really has to get the run game going. I do not think the Phoenix want to turn this into a game like last season where Davis Cheek is throwing it 40+ times. The Paladins sport a pretty strong secondary and an aggressive pass rush. Elon will need to limit that aggressiveness with their run game.

The likely big advantage for Elon is with their offensive line. Furman isn't huge up front, and even then slimmed down this season from last. The Paladin front is very active and can move, but may struggle at times against a much bigger Elon front 5. The Phoenix are going to have to hat on Furman ILB Elijah McKoy, though. Watching him against Clemson, Furman did a good job of keeping him clean and letting him get to the ball and make tackles. His battle against Summers might be the matchup of the game.

I expect a good game. Both teams are built differently and running different systems, but are fundamentally sound, physical, good football teams. Both clubs are well familiar with the other and should be pretty well ready. The game may well come down to a big play or a turnover late.

I agree on all points. Both defenses will be playing assignment football. You have your assignment and you have to stay home to be successful. The two big runs we had against them late last year were both the result of missed assignments on their defense's part. But we can't depend on them missing assignments. They are well coached and disciplined. I think our defense has more to lose in our coverages because we run a 3-man front where the ILB can plug either gap and if we get greedy our players' positions can be exploited. Our boon on defense comes from being unpredictable. If we can keep that edge I think we come up with either some turnovers or some explosive plays on defense that can seem to take away the strengths of Furman (half-back dive, option, play-action pass). One explosive play makes the offense feel pressured to play a certain way, which plays into our hands with an unpredictable defense. We'll have to make those explosive plays to have that edge.

Our offense is the x-factor for me in this game. Furman will put up points. They just have too many options to attack. But our offense has proven it can consistently overpower opponents if we play our fundamentals well. Our front 5 will be our edge against the Furman defense, and their secondary will be the edge against us. If Cheek can pick apart their coverages (and I think he excels at this given time in the backfield) and the WRs can run intelligent routes the secondary could break down and we could see something like the first matchup of last season. If not, we'll need to depend on our punch-em-in-the-mouth run game to make Furman stack the box. Just like Furman needs to establish the half-back dive to be successful, we need to establish the A/C-gap power and zone read run options to be successful. I believe our depth at RB and size at linemen will give us the ability to do that.

Southern Bison
September 7th, 2018, 08:57 AM
Who's planning to be there from AGS? Myself & (not so little anymore) SB jr. may roll up I-85 to catch this one since the Bison have a bye week.

Thought about going to GW @ A&T but that should be over by 2nd qtr.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

PaladinFan
September 7th, 2018, 09:45 AM
I agree on all points. Both defenses will be playing assignment football. You have your assignment and you have to stay home to be successful. The two big runs we had against them late last year were both the result of missed assignments on their defense's part. But we can't depend on them missing assignments. They are well coached and disciplined. I think our defense has more to lose in our coverages because we run a 3-man front where the ILB can plug either gap and if we get greedy our players' positions can be exploited. Our boon on defense comes from being unpredictable. If we can keep that edge I think we come up with either some turnovers or some explosive plays on defense that can seem to take away the strengths of Furman (half-back dive, option, play-action pass). One explosive play makes the offense feel pressured to play a certain way, which plays into our hands with an unpredictable defense. We'll have to make those explosive plays to have that edge.

Our offense is the x-factor for me in this game. Furman will put up points. They just have too many options to attack. But our offense has proven it can consistently overpower opponents if we play our fundamentals well. Our front 5 will be our edge against the Furman defense, and their secondary will be the edge against us. If Cheek can pick apart their coverages (and I think he excels at this given time in the backfield) and the WRs can run intelligent routes the secondary could break down and we could see something like the first matchup of last season. If not, we'll need to depend on our punch-em-in-the-mouth run game to make Furman stack the box. Just like Furman needs to establish the half-back dive to be successful, we need to establish the A/C-gap power and zone read run options to be successful. I believe our depth at RB and size at linemen will give us the ability to do that.

I personally think the game will come down to the Furman defensive front against the Elon offensive line.

I know Terrell Hudgins will be in the building, but I don't see his clone on the field. I fully expect the Paladins try and throw more men at the backfield, take some chances in coverage, and force Cheek to beat them throwing the ball.

If you really want to boil it down, I think the biggest single question in the game will be blocking Furman ILB Elijah McKoy. He's a superb tackler and runs sideline to sideline. Elon's going to have to get a hat on him.

PaladinFan
September 7th, 2018, 03:08 PM
http://www.furmansportsreport.com/2018/09/furman-freshman-qb-set-to-start-at-elon.html

FUBeAR
September 8th, 2018, 11:59 AM
Looks like Elon is ready xthumbsupx

(https://twitter.com/Coach_Smitty/status/1038447790639206400)
https://twitter.com/Coach_Smitty/status/1038447790639206400

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBmJGJ-CpHM

NOTICE: This content of this message is NOT approved by FUBeAR. It is the expressed opinion of Jeff Spicoli, a fictional character. FUBeAR does not discriminate against, nor condone disparagement of, anyone on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of his activities or operations...other than bellhops.

Schism55
September 8th, 2018, 06:26 PM
Elon up 28-0 at half xeyebrowx

FUGameBreaker
September 8th, 2018, 06:41 PM
Elon up 28-0 at half xeyebrowx

Yep

We are really bad folks

JSUSoutherner
September 8th, 2018, 07:49 PM
Welp. Furman is unranked now.

Twentysix
September 8th, 2018, 07:53 PM
Did Clemson let the band play or is Elon the rightful #2 in all of college football?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

ElCid
September 8th, 2018, 08:00 PM
Did Clemson let the band play or is Elon the rightful #2 in all of college football?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

That's piling on.

PaladinFan
September 8th, 2018, 10:35 PM
Stopping in to congratulate the Phoenix. Didn’t get to catch much of the game, but Elon looked really strong and took advantage of Furman for four quarters.

The Paladins have a QB problem, as both guys looked to be overwhelmed by the speed of the game. It would have been nice to ease them into the role without facing two tough teams, but it is what it is.

Furman needs to regroup and figure out how to get the offense clicking again. The silver lining is that this was not a conference game, there’s a lot of football left to play, and they started 0-3 last year.

whoanellie
September 8th, 2018, 10:38 PM
As for the poll, 32 of you were dead wrong!

woffordgrad94
September 9th, 2018, 01:29 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBmJGJ-CpHM

NOTICE: This content of this message is NOT approved by FUBeAR. It is the expressed opinion of Jeff Spicoli, a fictional character. FUBeAR does not discriminate against, nor condone disparagement of, anyone on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of his activities or operations...other than bellhops.
Hey, it’s Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence!

woffordgrad94
September 9th, 2018, 01:33 AM
As for the poll, 32 of you were dead wrong!
I was dead wrong; I admit it! I thought the Paladins would win! I never in my wildest dreams thought Furman would get bitch-slapped like this! I guess QB Blazeowski made a huge difference!

phoenix3
September 9th, 2018, 07:12 AM
Stopping in to congratulate the Phoenix. Didn’t get to catch much of the game, but Elon looked really strong and took advantage of Furman for four quarters.

The Paladins have a QB problem, as both guys looked to be overwhelmed by the speed of the game. It would have been nice to ease them into the role without facing two tough teams, but it is what it is.

Furman needs to regroup and figure out how to get the offense clicking again. The silver lining is that this was not a conference game, there’s a lot of football left to play, and they started 0-3 last year.
I’m not sure what to say about your defense other than Elon has a lot of weapons and a seasoned OLine. But your Offense will be fine. Grainger couldn’t get his passes dialed in which made you one dimensional. When he gets it figured out, you’ll have that same tough offense as last year. In retrospect one thing you did that hurt us early was run big #21. He got at least 4 yards every time he touched the ball.

PaladinFan
September 9th, 2018, 08:11 AM
I’m not sure what to say about your defense other than Elon has a lot of weapons and a seasoned OLine. But your Offense will be fine. Grainger couldn’t get his passes dialed in which made you one dimensional. When he gets it figured out, you’ll have that same tough offense as last year. In retrospect one thing you did that hurt us early was run big #21. He got at least 4 yards every time he touched the ball.

Just an ugly game. Furman moved the ball well at times, but couldn’t convert when they got behind the sticks. If Furman goes down and drives and scores early in the game when it was 14-0, maybe things go differently.

We can run some option, but aren’t a good enough option team to not be able to throw it. Grainger can spin it, but throwing a bullet into the stands isn’t particularly helpful.

I’m not in panic mode or anything. It’s one ugly game. They happen. All of Furman’s goals are still ahead of it and, fortunately, have the opportunity to get a win over another top 25 OOC opponent next Saturday. A good showing there and this game will get forgotten.