PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Pick 'em - Week 2

carney2
September 2nd, 2018, 07:18 AM
So, what do we think we know after going 2-3 vs. an easy group of OOCs?

BUCKNELL: Same as last year – competent D; no O.
COLGATE: If this is the best we’ve got, God help us.
FORDHAM: Minus 9 yds. rushing – Yoiks!
GEORGETOWN: Better than expected?
HOLY CROSS: See Georgetown.
LAFAYETTE: When they reach rock bottom they keep digging. A “perfect” season?
LEHIGH: Maybe some D; a little too much Bragalone.
PATRIOT LEAGUE: Mediocrity r us.

And now to Week 2:

Campbell @ GEORGETOWN

Villanova @ LEHIGH

HOLY CROSS @ Boston College

Sacred Heart @ BUCKNELL

LAFAYETTE @ Delaware

COLGATE @ New Hampshire

FORDHAM @ Richmond

GAME OF THE WEEK: Sacred Heart @ Bucknell – A chance to save face.

1-6?

bonarae
September 2nd, 2018, 07:26 AM
Campbell - in thrashing a middle-of-the-pack D-II and in scheduling more and more money games moving forward, can the Camels humiliate the Hoyas once and for all?
Villanova - Lehigh loses the game... both won their Week 1 games by last second stops.
BC - what can I say?
Sacred Heart
Delaware
Colgate - Knight missing from action will hurt UNH moving forward.
Richmond

DFW HOYA
September 2nd, 2018, 06:31 PM
Didn't see this thread, so reposting what I had listed on the now-closed Game 2 thread.

Some thoughts for each game:

1. Almost no one under 40 has any memory of watching the Holy Cross-BC series, but this game won't get much attention south of the Mass Pike. BC put up 48 on UMass by halftime and coasted to a 55-7 win. Will they put the same hurt on the Purple?

2. Is Sacred Heart that good? The teams were basically even last year, so another test for the rising fortunes of the NEC.

3. Is Lafayette that bad? The loss to URI will fire up the Hens even further to redeem their ways Saturday.

4. The two game Campbell-Georgetown series ends Saturday as the Camels aim higher than PL opponents. While CU will soon be playing North Carolina and ECU, Georgetown gets...Marist. And as things stand, Campbell is much better than Marist.

5. Villanova-Lehigh is the game of the week. Bad time for the Engineers after Villanova stuffed Temple in its opener.

6. Colgate at UNH? See Lafayette at Delaware. Tough place for the road team.

7. Fordham at Richmond: It will be closer than people think, but the Spiders are favored.

Sader87
September 3rd, 2018, 12:37 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28656&stc=1

Just to bring this pic ovah here from the other thread. This is indeed a pic of the Fenway bleachers in 1942 late in the BC-HC tilt which the Crusaders won 55-12. Considered by many football historians as one of the greatest upsets in college football history (clearly by the margin of victory anyway). That BC team was undefeated going into the game and had allowed only 19 points total in its 8 previous wins. (Beating future PL teams Georgetown 47-0 and Fordham 56-6 in the process). The Eagles possibly shell-shocked by this game, went on to lose to Alabama in the Orange Bowl 37-21. The night of this game was indeed the night of the infamous Cocoanut Grove fire, which legend has it, many BC followers/fans/players etc didn't attend a "victory celebration" overcome by the loss that afternoon at Fenway.

RichH2
September 3rd, 2018, 01:07 PM
Ah , the glory of ages gone by. Seems Chesney is building a team for Crusaders. The past is gone but the future looks bright. College football today is no longer the same entity as it was back then. I tend to agree that is not a good thing. Power 5 is amateur in name only . For most teams in that group it is purely a money game.FCS is happily still an actual college sport played mostly by student athletes not just by football players picking a school for a uniform. In our world Chesney may build Cross into an excellent program over time.

RichH2
September 3rd, 2018, 01:15 PM
Picking early this week.

Nova Spread is 15 which is likely. Closer would be great.
Hoya. What the hell. They have a chance
Bucknell. Sacred Heart is not good. May be a baseball score at the end
UD. Expect Pards will be better but not that much.
Colgate. UNH without their QB.
Richmond. Rams may battle but UR a good CAA squad.

carney2
September 3rd, 2018, 01:18 PM
Campbell @ GEORGETOWN - Taking DFW's word for it that Campbell is no longer the ultimate pushover.

Villanova @ LEHIGH - The Stained Undies best hope here is to keep this from being a lopsided blowout. I don't think they can.

HOLY CROSS @ Boston College - The worst matchup of the year until Lafayette @ Army. All of that nostalgia in Woo is a waste of time and energy. You can't go home.

Sacred Heart @ BUCKNELL - I've seen Sacred Heart, and the Buffaloes look like just another Joe Susan team.

LAFAYETTE @ Delaware

COLGATE @ New Hampshire - Based on week 1 results I'm guessing that these are not the same old, same old Wildcats. "gate didn't look that good either, so I'm taking a guess.

FORDHAM @ Richmond - Just a hunch.

TheValleyRaider
September 3rd, 2018, 04:41 PM
Unlike the League, I started strong at 6-0. Taking it one week at a time, of course, so it's back to 0-0 with another set of games. Some of the biggest improvements of the year seem to come between Games 1 and 2.

Campbell at Georgetown Georgetown The Hoyas found their offense in Week 1 for a beatdown of Marist. DFW reminds us that Campbell's program is looking up and the Camels are improving. This is undoubtedly true, but that same team has finished behind Marist in the PFL standings more often than not in recent years. Campbell may well be better than Marist, but so are the Hoyas. Georgetown won in NC last year, and follows it again this season.

Villanova at Lehigh Villanova Hawks got off their OOC slide last week by beating St Francis. Another Pennsylvania school looms, this time the champions of Philadelphia. Lehigh has played the Wildcats close recently, and having the game at home will help. I'm not ready to declare the Hawks quite "back" just yet, though if they can get over the hump against Nova, especially a team that just beat a decent FBS opponent, maybe its worth considering.

Holy Cross at Boston College Boston College Historic rivalries are fun to see, though can very quickly provide reminders of why they went away. HC and BC have gone in very different directions since their last meeting, and the Eagles may well be competitive in their division (behind Clemson, of course). The Crusaders are young, and seem sufficiently enthused by the new coaching staff, but the gap is just too big here.

Sacred Heart at Bucknell Bucknell 4th meeting in 6 years for the Bison and Pioneers. Bucknell won a close one last season, and gets the game at home this time. This one really could go either way, as Bucknell's normally mediocre offense scored 34 against SHU last year. The Pioneers shut down Lafayette's offense, but that one is probably worse than the Bison. Going with League pride in this one, we'll see what is different from 1 week and 1 year prior.

Lafayette at Delaware Delaware Both programs staring 0-2 in the face, though expectations are slightly different. For Delaware, the loss to URI makes their playoff margin much thinner, while the Leopards did not appear to show any improvement from a season ago getting blown out by Sacred Heart. Both teams struggle on offense at times, which means the game may stay close, and therefore harder to predict. Hard to see the Pards scrounging up the points here, but this is exactly the kind of game where the stars could align and make me look foolish (well, more than usual).

Colgate at New Hampshire Colgate This game looks quite different with one game under everyone's belt, particularly for UNH. Missing the QB clearly hurt them against Maine, and it doesn't sound like they expect him back for this one. All of a sudden, a real opportunity for the Raiders, who still need to be more consistent on offense to really reach their potential. Colgate riding a 1-game winning streak in Durham for this one, looking to make it 2.

Fordham at Richmond Richmond Hard to get a read on either team, losing to FBS opponents in their openers. If we're just comparing opponents, Virginia is much better than Charlotte, though the Rams hung tough where the Spiders got a good beating. Easiest path is to fall back on preseason expectations, and those say UR is the stronger team. I still believe Fordham can make noise in the League, but that's not necessarily enough to hang with the Spiders.

crusader11
September 3rd, 2018, 05:26 PM
A shame HC is playing BC this year, and not ten or so years ago.

In 2008 and 2009, when HC was a top 25ish team, I think we would have given BC a competitive game. It's going to be ugly this weekend.

McCowboys
September 3rd, 2018, 07:57 PM
Geaux Colgate! Skin those 'cats!

Sader87
September 3rd, 2018, 08:07 PM
A shame HC is playing BC this year, and not ten or so years ago.

In 2008 and 2009, when HC was a top 25ish team, I think we would have given BC a competitive game. It's going to be ugly this weekend.

Possibly, though I think the teams right after we dropped the series, 1987-89 or so would have played BC very tough....I think the '87 HC team would have won actually.

ngineer
September 3rd, 2018, 09:32 PM
1. I see the Holy Cross game as a blow out. It maybe nostalgia, but it's gonna hurt. BC, 52-21

2. SHU and Bucky should have a good match up. I see this a toss up and will take the Bison with the home field "3", 20-17

3. Delware is the team in this game with a "must" win scenario. A sense of urgency over a program that seems senseless right now. Hens cluck, 35-10

4. Hoyas had a nice opener, but I don't see them getting over this hump. Camels leave Hoyas in the sand, 33-17.

5. Colgate-UNH should be close. Can't believe Wildcats as bad as they showed in their opener. Still Raiders should travel with confidence. Colgate puts on the squeeze, 28-27

6. Fordham doesn't get Rich. Both teams coming off solid losses. Who's the toughest on a bounce back? Going with the Spiders at home. Charlotte's Web it aint, 35-21

7. Lehigh needs to clean up a lot of self-inflicted wounds they had with SFU that kept the score close. Defense showed that they may well be improved, but 'nova will have better balanced attack than SFU. Lehigh O needs to control clock to keep 'cats O off the field with their multi-weapon QB. The OL will be severely tested and how quickly the frosh grow up will tell the tale. I suspect Brisson will come up with some plays anticipating 'nova's attempt to exploit the perceived OL weak links. Execution critical. I see us a 10 point underdog, but see ways to win, but only if mistake free ball is played. That rarely happens so Head says Villanova 38-31, Heart says Lehigh 38-35.

Bluefish845
September 4th, 2018, 11:42 AM
BC
Sacred Heart
Delaware
Campbell
Colgate
Richmond
Villanova

Fordham
September 4th, 2018, 12:11 PM
I'm picking Gtown as the lone PL win this week.

#SAD!

:(

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 4th, 2018, 01:59 PM
I'm picking Gtown as the lone PL win this week.

#SAD!

:(

I have belief that either Colgate or Fordham will get a CAA scalp. Colgate has the experience and line play to beat UNH. The question is can Hunt and his staff keep the Richmond D off balance for 4 quarters or will they become too predictable. Richmond is not an intimidating place to play. The 15 or thousand at Charlotte will have them ready for roadie. The Spiders took one on the chin and have several question marks themselves. If Fordham can get the line play to improve to allow Medlock to settle in the offense will put up some points. Medlock needs to get it together. I kind of wanted to see King.

Lehigh has a punchers chance against 'Nova. They have a history of being a tough out at home in these games (which is why playing road playoff games is absurd) and the talent is there. 'Nova is coming off an emotional win over a rival. If they lose to Temple by 1 instead of beating them by 2 they're a 7 point Vegas favorite.

I'm interested to see how good Sacred Heart is. They were picked 6th in the NEC so either they're better than their peers thought or Lafayette is legitimately one of the 10-15 worst teams in FCS. Bucknell's D looked good against a "meh W&M team. Their offense was still a mess. The Bison likely need to keep the Pioneers to under 20 points to have a shot.

crusader11
September 4th, 2018, 02:32 PM
Colgate has the experience and line play to beat UNH.

Maybe they have experience, but what I saw last Saturday against Holy Cross was one of the weakest Colgate offensive lines I've seen in a long time.

Fordham
September 4th, 2018, 03:15 PM
I have belief that either Colgate or Fordham will get a CAA scalp. Colgate has the experience and line play to beat UNH. The question is can Hunt and his staff keep the Richmond D off balance for 4 quarters or will they become too predictable. Richmond is not an intimidating place to play. The 15 or thousand at Charlotte will have them ready for roadie. The Spiders took one on the chin and have several question marks themselves. If Fordham can get the line play to improve to allow Medlock to settle in the offense will put up some points. Medlock needs to get it together. I kind of wanted to see King.

Lehigh has a punchers chance against 'Nova. They have a history of being a tough out at home in these games (which is why playing road playoff games is absurd) and the talent is there. 'Nova is coming off an emotional win over a rival. If they lose to Temple by 1 instead of beating them by 2 they're a 7 point Vegas favorite.

I'm interested to see how good Sacred Heart is. They were picked 6th in the NEC so either they're better than their peers thought or Lafayette is legitimately one of the 10-15 worst teams in FCS. Bucknell's D looked good against a "meh W&M team. Their offense was still a mess. The Bison likely need to keep the Pioneers to under 20 points to have a shot.
I definitely hope you're right

PAllen
September 4th, 2018, 05:06 PM
While I doubt I'll go perfect with these picks, it's been a long time since anyone went broke picking against PL teams. Bucknell has the best shot at a win, but I'm going with an 0'fer for the league this week.

Sader87
September 4th, 2018, 05:37 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28664&stc=1

#BeatBC......just sayin' xdrunkyx

LehighU11
September 4th, 2018, 06:59 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28664&stc=1

#BeatBC......just sayin' xdrunkyx

Doug Flutie is a great guy, he got the best ratings for BC, he made BC great again and he won big league games, bigly. I like Flutie Flakes, do you like Flutie Flakes, who doesn't like Flutie Flakes?

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 4th, 2018, 07:18 PM
This is why I will forever have a strong disdain for BC, and Tom Caughlin. Between this and Joe Carter's home run a few weeks earlier, I was a depressed young sports fan for the 1993 holidays. To this day, those are probably the two most gut wrenching outcomes I can recall. Notre Dame has never been the same since Gordon's kick.

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/ndinsider.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/0/c3/0c393258-8e24-11e5-bf98-83208b2e9671/564cc675eee27.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C811

Sader87
September 4th, 2018, 07:22 PM
Couldn't they both lose?

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 4th, 2018, 07:30 PM
Couldn't they both lose?

Like I said, it was the beginning of the end of the dominant Holtz run. ND has never been as good as they were in 1993. They beat #1 FSU the week before then the defense falls a part against BC. ND rallied in the 4th to take the 39-38 lead. The ND-BC game was the same day as Lehigh-Lafayette. Needless to say I was not thrilled to be at Goodman Stadium that afternoon. I remember getting home just in time to see ND take the lead then give up the drive.

BC has had some good teams over the years.

ngineer
September 4th, 2018, 10:33 PM
I think 'gate has the best shot at taking a CAA scalp this weekend.

World
September 5th, 2018, 01:58 AM
Campbell @ GEORGETOWN

Villanova @ LEHIGH

Sacred Heart @ BUCKNELL

LAFAYETTE @ Delaware

COLGATE @ New Hampshire

FORDHAM @ Richmond

Go Green
September 5th, 2018, 06:57 AM
ND has never been as good as they were in 1993.

The 2012 Irish say hi.

Or do you refuse to recognize them (like the NCAA)?

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 5th, 2018, 07:42 AM
The 2012 Irish say hi.

no where as talented as the '93 team.

ColgateTD
September 5th, 2018, 09:50 AM
Hoyas - A breakout season??
Nova - Just too much of everything
BC - The Cross has a terrible early season schedule
Bucknell - Picking the Bison to come up with some huge O
Lafayette - Others may snicker, but I see a big turnaround this week
Colgate - They won't be lulled to sleep this week; upset special here..Hunt will have them ready
Fordham - Rams should have a walkabout with this opposition

RichH2
September 6th, 2018, 05:03 PM
No disrespect to DFW but I d like PL picks on one thread.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 6th, 2018, 05:21 PM
Colgate - They won't be lulled to sleep this week; upset special here..Hunt will have them ready

3 CAA scalps? I wonder what type of odds you could get in Vegas, 100/1?

DFW HOYA
September 6th, 2018, 05:26 PM
No disrespect to DFW but I d like PL picks on one thread.

My mistake, I didn't see the earlier thread.

Pards Rule
September 6th, 2018, 05:32 PM

Weirder stuff has happened. Hey hey about the parents of the little leaguer from Willoughby Ohio whose parents just found his 1978 baseball mitt in a thrift store in Jupiter FL. He had somehow lost it that year during the excitement of a league championship where he hit the winning runs in (recorded on 8 MM) and his name was imprinted on it!!!

jayhawkdaddy
September 6th, 2018, 06:04 PM
GEORGETOWN

Villanova

Boston College

Sacred Heart

Delaware

COLGATE

Richmond

GAME OF THE WEEK: Sacred Heart

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/clear.gif Reply With Quote (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2664888)

Go...gate
September 7th, 2018, 02:17 AM
The 2012 Irish say hi.

'12 ND was not nearly as good a club as '93.

van
September 7th, 2018, 06:59 AM
4-2 last week

Campbell, Hoyas showed some O last week but competition ramps up this week

Villanova, Lehigh showing some improved D and playing at home but Nova showed a lot in taking down Temple last week, hope I'm wrong but don't expect that we are quite ready to step up this much, if the OL can hold up I expect a close game

Boston College, Cross O is struggling to replace Petey and they will be badly out manned this week

Sacred Heart, is Sacred Heart that good or Pards that bad, guess we get some clue this week, Bucky O just can't get it done

Delaware, tough to win at the Tub and Hens might be as mad as Fighting Cocks this week after loss to RI

COLGATE, UNH relies on solid QB play which they did not seem to have last week, if Hunt has gators ready to play this week I think they win this one

Richmond, word is Rams have some D this year but no Chase in backfield, Spiders probably just a little to much for Rams on the road

Go Green
September 7th, 2018, 08:54 AM
'12 ND was not nearly as good a club as '93.

One could certainly make that case.

But 2012 ND *was* ranked #1 at the end of the regular season.

The Boogie Down
September 7th, 2018, 01:55 PM
This is why I will forever have a strong disdain for BC, and Tom Caughlin. Between this and Joe Carter's home run a few weeks earlier, I was a depressed young sports fan for the 1993 holidays. To this day, those are probably the two most gut wrenching outcomes I can recall. Notre Dame has never been the same since Gordon's kick.

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/ndinsider.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/0/c3/0c393258-8e24-11e5-bf98-83208b2e9671/564cc675eee27.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C811

This was the game that really opened my eyes to all the ND hate out there. I mentioned this in another thread but growing up, it took to the 6th or 7th grades before I was able to find other college football fans. With few local options some kids picked Michigan/Ohio State as their teams but the vast majority of us rooted for Penn State. Back then I didn't know a single ND fan and never even heard of a subway alumni although in fairness this was also at the end of the Faust years and the very beginning of the Holtz ones.

Later, in HS, and as NBC came along, Catholics vs Convicts came along, the national championship came along, I started noticing much more ND gear out there. I guess by my college years it was getting to be too much b/c by the time of this particular game I remember every single college football fan rooting hard for BC. As far as college football goes, I don't ever remember a Saturday morning buzz on campus like this one and that counts Fordham games! (In fairness, at the time we were the Georgetown of the Patriot League.)

Anyways, the next day we went back to our divided Jets, Giants, Patriots, Bills (lots of Fordham kids from that time came from Western NY) or Cowboys (Fordham had lots of front runners too) camps but for one day EVERYONE was rooting against ND!

blackbeard
September 7th, 2018, 03:02 PM
Campbell
Villanova
Boston College
Sacred Heart
Delaware
New Hampshire
Richmond

Leopard Loyalist
September 7th, 2018, 06:05 PM
Campbell @ GEORGETOWN

Villanova @ LEHIGH

Sacred Heart @ BUCKNELL

LAFAYETTE @ Delaware

COLGATE @ New Hampshire

FORDHAM @ Richmond

Bill
September 7th, 2018, 08:18 PM
On to Week #2. I was 6-0 last week...so I should probably retire.

Campbell @ GEORGETOWN

Villanova @ LEHIGH

Sacred Heart @ BUCKNELL

LAFAYETTE @ Delaware

COLGATE @ New Hampshire

FORDHAM @ Richmond

As for PL this week...in the words of Ty Webb from Caddyshack: "It's not good Danny".

van
September 7th, 2018, 09:25 PM
On to Week #2. I was 6-0 last week...so I should probably retire.

Campbell @ GEORGETOWN

Villanova @ LEHIGH

Sacred Heart @ BUCKNELL

LAFAYETTE @ Delaware

COLGATE @ New Hampshire

FORDHAM @ Richmond

As for PL this week...in the words of Ty Webb from Caddyshack: "It's not good Danny".

has there ever been a weekend where Hoyas were the only ones to win?

Bill
September 7th, 2018, 10:11 PM
has there ever been a weekend where Hoyas were the only ones to win?

Not in football!xsmiley_wix

Go...gate
September 7th, 2018, 10:54 PM
Georgetown 23, Campbell 20

Lehigh 38, Villanova 36

Boston College 48, Holy Cross 10

Bucknell 17, Sacred Heart 14

Delaware 26, Lafayette 7

Colgate 28, New Hampshire 27

Richmond 30, Fordham 24

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 7th, 2018, 11:32 PM
Villanova 31 Lehigh 20
Georgetown 24 Campbell 16
Boston College 59 Holy Cross 10
Sacred Heart 21 Bucknell 17
Delaware 34 Lafayette 9
Richmond 27 Fordham 24
Colgate 30 New Hampshire 17

Lehigh Football Nation
September 8th, 2018, 12:43 AM
Last week I was 6-0, incredibly.

I picked Villanova 30, Lehigh 21:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2018/09/2018-week-2-villanova-game-breakdown.html

I'm also taking:

Campbell
BC
SHU
Delaware
UNH
Richmond

Notice something about my picks?

Lehigh'98
September 8th, 2018, 07:09 AM
I’ll roll with the anti Patriot picks this week except Lehigh. Hoping they catch an overconfident Nova team.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2018, 01:10 PM
BC 28 HC 0 Early 2Q

Hopefully the Crusaders are enjoying their nostalgia....

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2018, 02:40 PM
BC 55 HC 7 14:55 4Q

Men vs Children....

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2018, 02:47 PM
UD 7 Lafayette 0 8:55 1Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2018, 02:58 PM
BC 62 HC 14 9:57 4Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2018, 03:04 PM
TD Hens

Delaware 14-0 2:02 1Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2018, 03:19 PM
TD UD on a pretty dicey call. Even so, Lafayette looks terrible....

Hens 21-0 11:38 2Q

PAllen
September 8th, 2018, 04:16 PM
That is a seriously empty Tub

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2018, 04:47 PM
SHU 21 Bucknell 14 10:50 4Q

Chiarolanzio is not the answer at QB. What does Susan stick with him?

van
September 8th, 2018, 04:52 PM
SHU 21 Bucknell 14 10:50 4Q

Chiarolanzio is not the answer at QB. What does Susan stick with him?

maybe door #2 is worse?

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2018, 04:52 PM
SHU 24 Bucknell 14 7:06 4Q

I'm not sure if Lafayette, Bucknell or Georgetown will win more than 1 or 2 games a piece. They are BAD football teams.

TheValleyRaider
September 8th, 2018, 05:08 PM
Colgate-New Hampshire underway in Durham

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2018, 05:09 PM
maybe door #2 is worse?

I guess the better question is how does Susan keep his job? The Bison football program has zero energy with him at the helm.

Remise
September 8th, 2018, 05:10 PM
Yes. And I live almost 500 miles away from Durham, and when I try to watch the game, am told I cannot view it due to "local blackout restrictions." Ho-hum....

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2018, 05:10 PM
Colgate-New Hampshire underway in Durham

Go Gate! Big game for Colgate and the PL!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2018, 05:18 PM
SHU 30 Bucknell 14 Final

Bison at Penn and at Villanova the next two weeks. Susan needs to shake things up...

RichH2
September 8th, 2018, 05:32 PM
SHU 24 Bucknell 14 Final

Bison at Penn and at Villanova the next two weeks. Susan needs to shake things up...

That line applies to all the PL teams so far. :)
Hoping for a Colgate W tonite.

TheValleyRaider
September 8th, 2018, 05:41 PM
Defensive struggle so far, neither team really able to generate consistent offense. Colgate finally got going on a drive into UNH territory late in the quarter, but Breneman threw a pick. Wildcats have the ball around their 20

Colgate 0
New Hampshire 0
End 1st

TheValleyRaider
September 8th, 2018, 05:50 PM
Breneman punches it in from 1 yard out on 4th down, TOUCHDOWN! Raiders recovered a fumble at the Wildcat 20, needed to convert two 4th and shorts to push it in

Colgate 7
New Hampshire 0
10:05 2nd

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2018, 05:55 PM
Breneman punches it in from 1 yard out on 4th down, TOUCHDOWN! Raiders recovered a fumble at the Wildcat 20, needed to convert two 4th and shorts to push it in

Colgate 7
New Hampshire 0
10:05 2nd

Sweet!!

TheValleyRaider
September 8th, 2018, 06:01 PM
UNH responds with a long drive, but stops short. 31 yd FG is up and good, Wildcats on the board

Colgate 7
New Hampshire 3
4:16 2nd

TheValleyRaider
September 8th, 2018, 06:12 PM
Raiders get into Wildcat territory and stall. 40 yd attempt from Puzzi is GOOD!

Colgate 10
New Hampshire 3
0:30 2nd

TheValleyRaider
September 8th, 2018, 06:16 PM
Wildcats kneel out the half. Both teams moving slowly on offense, but Colgate has strung a few drives together to move the ball into UNH territory. 71 yds of offense for UNH, 161 for Colgate. Turnover led to the big score, but otherwise we have stayed aggressive, especially on 4th down. Playing well, but far from over.

Wildcats get the ball to start the 2nd half

Colgate 10
New Hampshire 3
Halftime

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2018, 06:18 PM
Wildcats kneel out the half. Both teams moving slowly on offense, but Colgate has strung a few drives together to move the ball into UNH territory. 71 yds of offense for UNH, 161 for Colgate. Turnover led to the big score, but otherwise we have stayed aggressive, especially on 4th down. Playing well, but far from over.

Wildcats get the ball to start the 2nd half

Colgate 10
New Hampshire 3
Halftime

Colgate needs to come out in the 2nd half with guns blazing. No repeat of last week. Raiders defense doing an awesome job so far...

RichH2
September 8th, 2018, 06:23 PM
Great going Gate. Keep it up in the 2nd

RichH2
September 8th, 2018, 06:24 PM
UR up 17-0 late 2nd period.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2018, 06:51 PM
Richmond now up 24-0.

Surprised how bad Fordham looks. Their OL is getting worked. Shame Austin King is still hurt...

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2018, 06:54 PM
Make it 31-0 Spiders with 11:48 3Q

Hopefully Colgate prevails because this bas been an ugly day for the PL. And that's saying something when it comes to PL football recently...

Southsider
September 8th, 2018, 06:54 PM
The PL beat downs continue tonight.........

TheValleyRaider
September 8th, 2018, 07:02 PM
Short punt set up a short field for UNH; Wildcats drive, but have a TD called back for a holding penalty. 36 yd attempt is NO GOOD, wide left!

Offense needs to do something, as the defense looks gassed. Grinding, physical game so far

Colgate 10
New Hampshire 3
6:52 3rd

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2018, 07:04 PM
TD Spiders!

UR 38-0 8:50 3Q

TheValleyRaider
September 8th, 2018, 07:06 PM
Quarter ends without much more from the offense. Wildcats have the ball to start the final quarter

Colgate 10
New Hampshire 3
End 3rd

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2018, 07:18 PM
Richmond 52 Fordham 0 2:29 3Q

The Rams have quit. This is embarrassing for Fordham and the PL....

TheValleyRaider
September 8th, 2018, 07:19 PM
Colgate gets a stop in its own end, strip sack and recovery by Wheeler on 4th down. Offense picks up some yards, now faces 4th and short at the Wildcat 25. UNH takes their 1st TO

Colgate 10
New Hampshire 3
7:17 4th

TheValleyRaider
September 8th, 2018, 07:21 PM
Out of the TO, Puzzi lines up a 42 yd attempt. Kick is NO GOOD, wide left. Missed opportunity, but some clock did come off.

Colgate 10
New Hampshire 3
7:12 4th

TheValleyRaider
September 8th, 2018, 07:24 PM
Defense forces a 3 and out, punt goes to the Colgate 29

Colgate 10
New Hampshire 3
5:45 4th

UNHWildcat18
September 8th, 2018, 07:25 PM
Patriot league is horribly awful this year. The favorite is struggling to beat the worst team in the CAA conference and without their starting QB. UNH is awful though

TheValleyRaider
September 8th, 2018, 07:26 PM
Penalty takes away a first down, instead UNH takes TO #2 after a short run

10-3 Colgate
5:11 4th

TheValleyRaider
September 8th, 2018, 07:29 PM
Raiders can't make up the yards, forced to punt. Taken at the UNH 30

10-3 Colgate
4:18 4th

Go...gate
September 8th, 2018, 07:31 PM
Come on, Red Raiders!

TheValleyRaider
September 8th, 2018, 07:33 PM
4th and 4 upcoming at the Colgate 29 after a big pass got the Wildcats across midfield. Last UNH TO taken

10-3 Colgate
2:37 4th

TheValleyRaider
September 8th, 2018, 07:35 PM
Incomplete! 1st down Colgate!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2018, 07:36 PM
Incomplete! 1st down Colgate!

Woohoo!! UNH's stats in home openers and against OOC competition is absurd the last 15-20 years. Colgate about to break some serious streaks in Durham...

TheValleyRaider
September 8th, 2018, 07:37 PM
Couple of runs can't convert the 1st, Raiders take TO #1 before a punt

Colgate 10
New Hampshire 3
0:20

TheValleyRaider
September 8th, 2018, 07:39 PM
Huge punt, UNH ball at the 21

0:10 to go

Fordham
September 8th, 2018, 07:40 PM
Brutal

TheValleyRaider
September 8th, 2018, 07:40 PM
Laterals go nowhere, that's the game! RAIDERS WIN!

Colgate 10
New Hampshire 3
Final

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2018, 07:44 PM

Colgate 10
New Hampshire 3
Final

Solid win! UNH has been insanely difficult to beat at home recent years yet the Raiders have done it twice in 3 years. Stay hungry! Furman lost 45-7 to Elon and W&M stinks.

UNH is headed for 0-3 (Colorado is going to crush them next week). Their playoff streak is doomed.

TheValleyRaider
September 8th, 2018, 07:45 PM
Game ball to the defense tonight. Tough, physical game, but the defense made plays when they needed to. Wheeler got 3 sacks after putting up a 0 last week against HC

Offense struggled at times, but UNH has a good defense, and we were without LT Woolford (done for the year) and top WR Ives (not sure how long). Holland did pick up 105 yards on the ground. Big win for the Raiders, got to turn it around quickly for a trip down to Furman

Lehigh'98
September 8th, 2018, 07:48 PM
Nice W Colgate. Much needed win.

CenMEBlackBearFan
September 8th, 2018, 07:49 PM
Don't you think UNH going with backup QB made a difference? Maine put up 450 yds against UNH defense last week.

RichH2
September 8th, 2018, 07:53 PM
Thank you Colgate for a W. Much needed.

Yes UNH being without their starting QB was a factor today.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2018, 07:56 PM
Thank you Colgate for a W. Much needed.

Yes UNH being without their starting QB was a factor today.

It was but UNH was going to come out with a much better effort at home. The wheels completely fell off last week in Orono. They knew Colorado is next week and 0-3 would be death. Their best chance tonight was for the defense to return to form and hope the offense could generate just enough points to win.

Sader87
September 8th, 2018, 07:56 PM
Glorious day in Chestnut Hill today....haven't seen that kind of support for a HC game in a LONG time....yeah we got blown out, but it was a tremendous atmosphere. We're going to get better.....lot to be excited for if you're a HC fan!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2018, 08:02 PM
Glorious day in Chestnut Hill today....haven't seen that kind of support for a HC game in a LONG time....yeah we got blown out, but it was a tremendous atmosphere. We're going to get better.....lot to be excited for if you're a HC fan!

I highly doubt the Lehigh fans will have that perspective when the Mountain Hawks lose 62-14 to Navy next week in Annapolis. Atmosphere only goes so far when your team is getting embarrassed on the field.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2018, 08:08 PM
Well the league avoided the 0'ffer with Colgate's win. Still, the league looks almost as bad as it was last year. It could actually be worse. Bucknell, Lafayette, Georgetown and Fordham look completely hapless at this point. Bucknell and Lafayette look like a special kind of terrible so far. I have no idea what's going on in the Bronx. They quit tonight against Richmond. We'll know more about HC next week against a good Yale team. Lehigh just needs to stay as healthy as possible until Penn. There's potential but the coaching just seems so meh. The ceiling at this point is only so high. Colgate is proving to be the most complete team. Furman and W&M are also very winnable if the Raiders are indeed a Top 25 team.

Sader87
September 8th, 2018, 08:48 PM
HC-BC is very different than most FBS-FCS games....tons of history, lot of family/friend connections between the schools etc etc...it would be akin to Lehigh going FBS while Lafayette remained FCS.

After today, despite the outcome...I think you'll see a lot more HC-BC football games moving forward.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 8th, 2018, 08:54 PM
HC-BC is very different than most FBS-FCS games....tons of history, lot of family/friend connections between the schools etc etc...it would be akin to Lehigh going FBS while Lafayette remained FCS.

After today, despite the outcome...I think you'll see a lot more HC-BC football games moving forward.

Temple has a big rivalry with FCS Villanova. Not the same history but still a lot of emotion and a good amount of local attention. The Wildcats are good enough to actually be competitive/beat us some years though.

BC and HC hadn't played in 30 years and look at the historical results it hasn't been really competitive since the late 50's, early 60's. The Syracuse-Colgate series is the same deal. Colgate has been Syracuse's local tomato can for the last 40-50 years. It's nice for the HC fans to get to make the trip to Alumni Stadium. Hopefully the next game will be more competitive.

Colgate Raider Redux
September 8th, 2018, 09:04 PM
Temple has a big rivalry with FCS Villanova. Not the same history but still a lot of emotion and a good amount of local attention. The Wildcats are good enough to actually be competitive/beat us some years though.

BC and HC hadn't played in 30 years and look at the historical results it hasn't been really competitive since the late 50's, early 60's. The Syracuse-Colgate series is the same deal. Colgate has been Syracuse's local tomato can for the last 40-50 years. It's nice for the HC fans to get to make the trip to Alumni Stadium. Hopefully the next game will be more competitive.

fyi https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colgate–Syracuse_football_rivalry

Colgate and Syracuse play every major men's and women's sport ( except FB ) against each other every year.
And, it's not lop-sided. ( near term: Syracuse @ 'Gate WSOC tomorrow, 'Gate @ Syracuse 9/24 MSOC )
Although the FB rivalry has certainly changed over the years, I think the continuity of the relationship is much different than how the HC-BC athletic relationship has evolved.

DFW HOYA
September 8th, 2018, 09:57 PM
HC-BC is very different than most FBS-FCS games....tons of history, lot of family/friend connections between the schools etc etc...it would be akin to Lehigh going FBS while Lafayette remained FCS. After today, despite the outcome...I think you'll see a lot more HC-BC football games moving forward.

Good for HC. The score notwithstanding, the game provided more visibility for the Crusader program than five seasons of PL games.

Sader87
September 8th, 2018, 10:45 PM
Good for HC. The score notwithstanding, the game provided more visibility for the Crusader program than five seasons of PL games.

It absolutely did....forgot what it was like to watch HC in a big-time football atmosphere.....so refreshing despite the outcome.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 8th, 2018, 11:30 PM
I nailed picking all the losses except for Colgate, and that only happened because UNH's entire offense is on a milk carton and it is looking like a serious possibility that UNH goes something like 3-8 or 2-9.

I'm trying to figure out what we learned today.

* BC is a Power 5 team
* Villanova might be headed to Frisco
* UNH is headed to a sub-.500 season
* Sacred Heart could be pretty good
* G'Town fought pretty hard but showed offense still needs a long way to go
* Fordham gave up
* Lafayette has scored 2 FGs in 2 games on offense

Of all those outcomes, I think what was most concerning for the league were those last two. It doesn't seem like we learned a lot about HC or even Lehigh in those losses, though Lehigh's stings more because they have played Nova close in the past. I'm not even sure we've learned too much about Colgate from their win, because I think UNH has come apart. or even Bucknell, who frankly I didn't expect to win today either, or even Georgetown, who fought hard against a team many thought in May would have beaten them handily. It's the fact that Lafayette can't even get a garbage-time touchdown in two blowout losses and that Fordham gave up 52 straight points against Richmond that are the deepest concerns to me.

The Boogie Down
September 9th, 2018, 12:14 AM
I nailed picking all the losses except for Colgate, and that only happened because UNH's entire offense is on a milk carton and it is looking like a serious possibility that UNH goes something like 3-8 or 2-9.

I'm trying to figure out what we learned today.

* BC is a Power 5 team
* Villanova might be headed to Frisco
* UNH is headed to a sub-.500 season
* Sacred Heart could be pretty good
* G'Town fought pretty hard but showed offense still needs a long way to go
* Fordham gave up
* Lafayette has scored 2 FGs in 2 games on offense

Of all those outcomes, I think what was most concerning for the league were those last two. It doesn't seem like we learned a lot about HC or even Lehigh in those losses, though Lehigh's stings more because they have played Nova close in the past. I'm not even sure we've learned too much about Colgate from their win, because I think UNH has come apart. or even Bucknell, who frankly I didn't expect to win today either, or even Georgetown, who fought hard against a team many thought in May would have beaten them handily. It's the fact that Lafayette can't even get a garbage-time touchdown in two blowout losses and that Fordham gave up 52 straight points against Richmond that are the deepest concerns to me.

I only saw the HC and Fordham games:
1) Despite the long rivalry and strong local ties, I wouldn't be as happy w/the game as Sader seems to be if I were a Cross fan. Took the Eagles 8 minutes, 9 offensive plays and 3 drives to go up 21-0 and have 200+ total yards. Woulda been 1,000+ total yards but football fields have goal lines. Don't know about BC's offensive line but starters like QB Brown, RB Dillon, WR White, TE Sweeney were all out by the 11/12 minute mark. Their backups were in there by the end of the FIRST quarter!

Back in 2012, w/Nebrich already out for the year and with Chase still in HS I remember when a very young Fordham team hung w/#23 Cincy for an entire half. Despite what turned out to be a 49-17 loss, that first half showed me that improvement was just around the corner for Fordham. Not at all the case with Cross today. BIGLY (and even that is a true understatement) talent gap against a solid but unranked P-5.

Speaking of YUGE talent gaps...

2) Fordham did not give up tonight, they're just that bad! Well, okay, not a 35-0 3rd quarter to a mediocre Richmond bad, but still very bad all the same. The OL is as weak as I've seen since Moorhead was the QB. The QB (a fumble and 2 picks in that 3rd quarter) is as weak as I've seen since the Derick Daniels days. Both RB's were out for this game but they could be as bad a group as I've seen since before the Arthur Gaskin days.

The front 7 is surprisingly good but the secondary keeps getting lit. All 17 first half points came off drives that each featured a pass of at least 35 yards. Then, very first play of the 3rd quarter, was a 75 yard catch and run to make it 24-0. Add some Luke Medlock miscues and it all got ugly fast.

Last week they looked like a Bucknell type of team. Tonight, especially at OL, it looked more like Lafayette.

Sader87
September 9th, 2018, 12:24 AM
BC is a lot bettah than Cincy was back then....it's all good, fabulous atmosphere today....we'll get bettah....I think we beat Yale next week actually, we couldn't be more "battle-tested" and the Eli have yet to play this year.

Games/atmosphere like today at BC are why Holy Cross still has a football program....just can't be replicated in any other sport.

Go...gate
September 9th, 2018, 12:51 AM

Exactly. Well said.

Go...gate
September 9th, 2018, 01:03 AM
It absolutely did....forgot what it was like to watch HC in a big-time football atmosphere.....so refreshing despite the outcome.

Biggest crowd ever to see HC-BC.

Pards Rule
September 9th, 2018, 09:55 AM

Colgate 10
New Hampshire 3
Final

Great win!

Sader87
September 9th, 2018, 11:14 AM
Biggest crowd ever to see HC-BC.

It's up there but probably not. Announced crowd yesterday was 40,311....pretty sure the game in Foxboro in 1983 exceeded that. Some of the games back in the day at either Fenway or Braves Field were probably a little bit bigger too.

It definitely was the biggest crowd for an HC-BC game on either campus though. The last time BC hosted, 1985, Alumni only sat in the high 30s I believe. Even with standing room etc Fitton could never hold ovah 40,000 fans back in the day when it was a 25K stadium.

crusader11
September 10th, 2018, 11:25 AM
Why does it seem like the league has regressed since scholarships were introduced?

Non-scholarship Lafayette was unquestionably better then than it is now.

Non-scholarship Holy Cross was better, too, although much of that success can be contributed to Dom Randolph. Even still, I don't think those teams were less talented across the board.

Why are all these schools (perhaps not Colgate and Lehigh, although Lehigh certainly has had their issues the past several seasons), experiencing such growing pains with scholarships? Probably a question for another thread, and one in which has already been touched on before.

RichH2
September 10th, 2018, 11:51 AM
Why does it seem like the league has regressed since scholarships were introduced?

Non-scholarship Lafayette was unquestionably better then than it is now.

Non-scholarship Holy Cross was better, too, although much of that success can be contributed to Dom Randolph. Even still, I don't think those teams were less talented across the board.

Why are all these schools (perhaps not Colgate and Lehigh, although Lehigh certainly has had their issues the past several seasons), experiencing such growing pains with scholarships? Probably a question for another thread, and one in which has already been touched on before.

Quick and simplistic answer. No staff had a clue how to recruit schollies. Rams went high with reams of offers to guys going to top FBS programs. Moorhead fixed that quikly but the rest if us didnt get the meaning. Most recruited the same kids as preschollie. 7-10 years ago these kids were good enough. As Ivies,NEC and CAA have amped up recruiting, those kids are no longer enough. At Lehigh,we finally got the message starting with our current soph and frosh classes. Both very good but not yet enough to break out of this current stalemate. We all need a few more of these classes.

DFW HOYA
September 10th, 2018, 11:56 AM
Quick and simplistic answer. No staff had a clue how to recruit schollies. Rams went high with reams of offers to guys going to top FBS programs. Moorhead fixed that quikly but the rest if us didnt get the meaning. Most recruited the same kids as preschollie. 7-10 years ago these kids were good enough. As Ivies,NEC and CAA have amped up recruiting, those kids are no longer enough. At Lehigh,we finally got the message starting with our current soph and frosh classes. Both very good but not yet enough to break out of this current stalemate. We all need a few more of these classes.

The correct answer. And not likely to change.

RichH2
September 10th, 2018, 12:50 PM
The correct answer. And not likely to change.
Has to change. Of course a number of our prospects are also going to be on Ivy lists. At PL peak years.late 90s til 2006 our primary competition for prospects was the Ivy League. We had a great niche. There was very little competition in the northeast for the tweeners. Kids not quite Ivy level academically and kids a litlle smaller or slower than bigger programs would recruit. That niche no longer exists. Now are primary competition for prospects is The Academies, MAC,CAA,NEC and G5 FBS teams. Over the last 3 years,including this year that has been the scenario. As it should be if we ever hope to improve.Our frosh and soph classes primarily contain kids with offers from one or more of these schools. Our niche now is offering a better education and a firmer chance at career success than most of these schools can offer.
I note that preschollie H2H competition between PL schools was somewhat rare. It isnt now.

Go Green
September 10th, 2018, 01:06 PM
As Ivies,NEC and CAA have amped up recruiting.

The Ivy and NEC - sure.

But what has the CAA done in the past 10 years to improve recruiting?

RichH2
September 10th, 2018, 01:12 PM
The Ivy and NEC - sure.

But what has the CAA done in the past 10 years to improve recruiting?
They expanded first of all adding prior non players like Stony Brook and Albany. JMU has been the major drive over the last 5 years. They have become transfer U bringing in pretty good FBS talent. CAA is undergoing a true arms race to bring in competitive talent with JMU.

Forgot one more major competitor Monmouth

Go...gate
September 10th, 2018, 01:46 PM
Colgate seems to be doing all right, but it seems to me that we had the non-scholarship/equivalency thing down cold.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 10th, 2018, 01:50 PM
Colgate seems to be doing all right, but it seems to me that we had the non-scholarship/equivalency thing down cold.

Lehigh and Colgate seem to be about the same right now all things considered. Lehigh also had the non-scholarship thing down! Their 2011 team was excellent! 2010 and 2012 damn good too! What Colgate and Lehigh were able establish in the late 90's was damn impressive. Lehigh had 3 undefeated regular seasons in 4 years while beating the likes of Delaware, Wofford, Harvard, Penn and Princeton along the way. That's incredible in hindsight! Likewise with 'Gate making it to the title game. I can't see anyone coming close to achieving either feat right now.

RichH2
September 10th, 2018, 01:51 PM
agree Go. Biddle always maintained a better balance in recruiting. Hunt had some issues in the changeover but his drop off much less severe.

Go...gate
September 10th, 2018, 01:56 PM
Lehigh and Colgate seem to be about the same right now all things considered. Lehigh also had the non-scholarship thing down! Their 2011 team was excellent! 2010 and 2012 damn good too! What Colgate and Lehigh were able establish in the late 90's was damn impressive. Lehigh had 3 undefeated regular seasons in 4 years while beating the likes of Delaware, Wofford, Harvard, Penn and Princeton along the way. That's incredible in hindsight! Likewise with 'Gate making it to the title game. I can't see anyone coming close to achieving either feat right now.

Agreed.

Sader87
September 10th, 2018, 03:48 PM
As i've posted/said before, Holy Cross has mostly been adrift recruiting-wise since we stopped giving scholarships in the late 1980s. The HC Administration and each succeeding football staff after Duffner never really had a good feel on how to recruit effectively with need based-aid imo.

Throw in the AI and other PL restrictions, and we were really up against it (our own undoing admittedly)....this led to mostly losing seasons ovah the last 25 years and it became sort of a vicious cycle.

Chesney seems to be the first guy who seems to be able to recruit at HC since Duffner. Obviously it's still a work in progress...but for the first time in awhile, I have confidence that the program will improve/become more stable year to year etc