2. Wofford
3. Chattanooga
4. Citadel
5. Furman
6. Mercer
7. ETSU
8. Western
9. VMI

Before any of y'all freak out about the above, let me explain my rankings: this isn't really a scientific ranking (I'll probably try to get more mathematical--and pretentious--as the year progresses) because we lack a lot of information.

Basically, I ranked Samford and Wofford 1 and 2 because they won and have good reason to think they are good. I put Chattanooga at 3 because they won and I don't think you could ask them to do much better without being nitpicky.

4-8 is just a shrug emoji. Furman and Mercer did about as good as you'd expect against Clemson and Memphis. I rewarded Citadel over them because I got "more information" out of their game with Wofford than not. I heavily penalized Western and ETSU for not performing better against D2 competition. ETSU moved the ball but had turnovers. Western gave up 500 yards to Newberry.

So basically, I made this power ranking based on how much we know. If what little information we have isn't good (Western, ETSU, VMI) you were punished. If it was good you were rewarded (Samford and maybe Wofford), it was neutral or ambiguous you were shrug emojied. These rankings will change over the next couple weeks (obviously).

As for the week 2 games:
ETSU @ Tennessee
Furman @ Elon (game of the week)
Chattanooga @ The Citadel
VMI @ Wofford
Jacksonville @ Mercer
Samford @ Florida State

I think we'll get the most information from the Furman/Elon and Chattanooga/Citadel games.

JSUSoutherner
September 1st, 2018, 11:07 PM
UT
Elon
El Cid
Wofford
Mercer
Noles

bonarae
September 1st, 2018, 11:46 PM
Vols
Furman
The Citadel
Wofford
Mercer
Noles

PaladinFan
September 2nd, 2018, 06:42 AM
1. Samford
2. Wofford
3. Chattanooga
4. Citadel
5. Furman
6. Mercer
7. ETSU
8. Western
9. VMI

Before any of y'all freak out about the above, let me explain my rankings: this isn't really a scientific ranking (I'll probably try to get more mathematical--and pretentious--as the year progresses) because we lack a lot of information.

Basically, I ranked Samford and Wofford 1 and 2 because they won and have good reason to think they are good. I put Chattanooga at 3 because they won and I don't think you could ask them to do much better without being nitpicky.

4-8 is just a shrug emoji. Furman and Mercer did about as good as you'd expect against Clemson and Memphis. I rewarded Citadel over them because I got "more information" out of their game with Wofford than not. I heavily penalized Western and ETSU for not performing better against D2 competition. ETSU moved the ball but had turnovers. Western gave up 500 yards to Newberry.

So basically, I made this power ranking based on how much we know. If what little information we have isn't good (Western, ETSU, VMI) you were punished. If it was good you were rewarded (Samford and maybe Wofford), it was neutral or ambiguous you were shrug emojied. These rankings will change over the next couple weeks (obviously).

As for the week 2 games:
ETSU @ Tennessee
VMI @ Wofford
Jacksonville @ Mercer
Samford @ Florida State

I think we'll get the most information from the Furman/Elon and Chattanooga/Citadel games.

The good news for the SoCon is that the weeks' results were about what was expected. Everyone who was supposed to win, won. Everyone who was supposed to lose, lost.

I do not think anyone anticipated that ETSU and WCU would struggle against sub-level competition. I also think Mercer's poor showing in Memphis was a big surprise.

The Furman/Elon tilt is probably one of the games of the year in the FCS. That's a big one for Furman.

PaladinNation
September 2nd, 2018, 07:07 AM
1. Samford
2. Furman
3. Wofford
4. Chattanooga
5. Citadel
6. Mercer
7. ETSU
8. Western
9. VMI

I watched all the SoCon teams play except Mercer and VMI, I think the most surprising was WCU - the Cats have a long ways to go.
Wofford/Citadel watched the entire game, it was like watching two kid brothers get in a wrestling match.
Not sure what to think of Chatty except they're not a dominant team.
Brings me to Furman, it was 13-0 five minutes till halftime — and a replay reverse call on a 3rd down (great catch?) for the Tigers changed the game. No way the Dins would have won but the scoreboard would have looked different. It's frustrating that we again are so young, it seems like a broken record for Furman. I'm putting Furman #2 because of the Paladins defense regardless of the score they played strong.

ETSU @ Tennessee (UGLY)
Furman @ Elon (This is an even matchup, Cheek did not play well against USF, FU's baby QB's are going to make some plays and make some mistakes)
Chattanooga @ The Citadel (Tough choice, going to give the Dogs the nod here due to the heart they showed against Wofford)
VMI @ Wofford (BLOW OUT)
Jacksonville @ Mercer (Bears get back on track)
Samford @ Florida State (Hope the Dogs give the Noles a scare)

PaladinFan
September 2nd, 2018, 07:16 AM
1. Samford
2. Furman
3. Wofford
4. Chattanooga
5. Citadel
6. Mercer
7. ETSU
8. Western
9. VMI

I watched all the SoCon teams play except Mercer and VMI, I think the most surprising was WCU - the Cats have a long ways to go.
Wofford/Citadel watched the entire game, it was like watching two kid brothers get in a wrestling match.
Not sure what to think of Chatty except they're not a dominant team.
Brings me to Furman, it was 13-0 five minutes till halftime — and a replay reverse call on a 3rd down (great catch?) for the Tigers changed the game. No way the Dins would have won but the scoreboard would have looked different. It's frustrating that we again are so young, it seems like a broken record for Furman. I'm putting Furman #2 because of the Paladins defense regardless of the score they played strong.

ETSU @ Tennessee (UGLY)
Furman @ Elon (This is an even matchup, Cheek did not play well against USF, FU's baby QB's are going to make some plays and make some mistakes)
Chattanooga @ The Citadel (Tough choice, going to give the Dogs the nod here due to the heart they showed against Wofford)
VMI @ Wofford (BLOW OUT)
Jacksonville @ Mercer (Bears get back on track)
Samford @ Florida State (Hope the Dogs give the Noles a scare)

I liked what Hendrix did Saturday by playing a bunch of young guys. Furman had little chance to win the game, but got a lot of guys snaps and experience.

We need to figure out our QB situation. I said in the preseason that I thought Furman would have the league's best defense. Nothing about this week changed my opinion on that.

PaladinNation
September 2nd, 2018, 08:15 AM
PF, personally I think the coaches want to play Grainger. I base that on no knowledge but I think his play Saturday earned him at the least equal PT with Lincoln.

Grainger's interview after the game put Saturday in perspective — Darren mentioned the noise - it was way louder than he expected, he struggled with the calls (kinda funny that he mentioned comparing Clemson to his one year of QB experience at Conway HS), on his fumble he said he knew he had to make up for the fumble with throwing a touchdown pass.

The progress of Grainger from the first time I saw him in drills, obviously learning to run the option to what I saw Saturday gives me optimism.

Coach Hendrix said over and over Furman has to get bigger, stronger, faster and Furman needs playmakers. The true freshmen trio of Grainger, Bell, and Watkins will make some noise against FCS level teams.

PaladinFan
September 2nd, 2018, 08:46 AM
PF, personally I think the coaches want to play Grainger. I base that on no knowledge but I think his play Saturday earned him at the least equal PT with Lincoln.

Grainger's interview after the game put Saturday in perspective — Darren mentioned the noise - it was way louder than he expected, he struggled with the calls (kinda funny that he mentioned comparing Clemson to his one year of QB experience at Conway HS), on his fumble he said he knew he had to make up for the fumble with throwing a touchdown pass.

The progress of Grainger from the first time I saw him in drills, obviously learning to run the option to what I saw Saturday gives me optimism.

Coach Hendrix said over and over Furman has to get bigger, stronger, faster and Furman needs playmakers. The true freshmen trio of Grainger, Bell, and Watkins will make some noise against FCS level teams.

Hard to know what they are looking to do. I presume that with Roberts injured, Grainger has gotten more snaps in practice. The good news for Furman is that they were able to get him out there. His touchdown pass was a good looking throw.

Also good that the Furman defense notched two sacks yesterday. That was a big improvement last year when they lead the league. It looks like we pretty much have our rotation set, but need to figure out the second LB spot next to McKoy.

FUGameBreaker
September 2nd, 2018, 09:15 AM
Power Poll:

1. Samford
2. Furman
3. Wofford
4. Chattanooga
5. Citadel
6. Mercer
7. ETSU
8. Western
9. VMI

PaladinFan
September 2nd, 2018, 09:29 AM
Good article from Greenville News.

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/college/clemson/2018/09/01/clemson-football-furman-score-schedule-fbs-fcs/1153073002/

I did not know that Furman is the first FCS team since 2015 to score a TD on Clemson.

ElCid
September 2nd, 2018, 09:41 AM
Good article from Greenville News.

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/college/clemson/2018/09/01/clemson-football-furman-score-schedule-fbs-fcs/1153073002/

I did not know that Furman is the first FCS team since 2015 to score a TD on Clemson.

Well they only played two teams since then.

Yeah we have our work cut out for us with Bama. Same deal. No FCS TDs in 2016 or 2017. I guess that would be a victory of sorts.

FUGameBreaker
September 2nd, 2018, 09:47 AM
On Clemson last season:

Kent St. scored 3
Auburn scored 6
Boston College scored 7
Georgia Tech scored 10
Citadel scored 3
South Carolina scored 10
Miami scored 3

ElCid
September 2nd, 2018, 09:47 AM
On Clemson last season:

Kent St. scored 3
Auburn scored 6
Boston College scored 7
Georgia Tech scored 10
Citadel scored 3
South Carolina scored 10
Miami scored 3

They are beasts on D.

SU DOG
September 2nd, 2018, 09:51 AM
Tenn
Furman
UTC
Wofford
Mercer
FSU

As for the Power Rankings, I have a few thoughts based JUST from eye test:
#1 - Furman and Samford. Samford's offense is what was to be expected. The defense, however, is still untested, and FSU will probably not be the place to completely determine its merit - speed kills. This unit will probably be an ongoing work in progress, similar to last year.
Just on the eye test, the Furman defense is impressive. I was especially surprised at how well the secondary can play. More can be ascertained this week of course against a good Elon team. Just from what I saw, I don't see why Jemar Lincoln isn't THE QB. I'll just let the #1 spot be a tie for the moment.
#3 - Wofford. They will work out a few kinks and be a very tough group that could win it all.
#4 - UTC. I was just not impressed with their TTU game, because that team is still really bad, IMO, but I'll give the Mocs the benefit of the doubt.
#5 - Mercer. It looked to me that Memphis was trying as hard as possible to pile it on. The Bears are much better than what we saw.
#6 - The Citadel. This Saturday will tell us a lot.
#7 - Western. They can't be happy with yesterday. This ranking may be very temporary.
#8 - ETSU. IMO, a surprisingly poor showing.
#9 - VMI. xrolleyesx

wcugrad95
September 2nd, 2018, 10:00 AM
On Clemson last season:

Kent St. scored 3
Auburn scored 6
Boston College scored 7
Georgia Tech scored 10
Citadel scored 3
South Carolina scored 10
Miami scored 3

Is that trying to imply through transitive theory that Furman scoring a TD in mop-up time suggests the Paladins are better than Auburn and Miami from last year? And one of the other FU posters said that the reception that was given to Clemson kind of single-handily turned the tide of the game and somehow enabled Clemson to use that momentum to win the game from that point forward 35-7.

Look - I have no way to defend WCU's play other than to say we are still 1-0 (anybody remember Samford squeaking out a week 1 win against a D2 team last year)? But I am saying the FU guys are doing a whole lot of purple-colored analysis to somehow turn the 48-7 loss into a bunch of positives. I think we really only learned that there are still a whole lot of questions to be answered all over the place. I am far from happy as a Western fan (I'd have them down as a 7 or so on the power rankings), but I still think at 1-0 we have to just look ahead and try to spin it that we feel better than Mercer and VMI this morning.

FUGameBreaker
September 2nd, 2018, 10:09 AM
Is that trying to imply through transitive theory that Furman scoring a TD in mop-up time suggests the Paladins are better than Auburn and Miami from last year? And one of the other FU posters said that the reception that was given to Clemson kind of single-handily turned the tide of the game and somehow enabled Clemson to use that momentum to win the game from that point forward 35-7.

Look - I have no way to defend WCU's play other than to say we are still 1-0 (anybody remember Samford squeaking out a week 1 win against a D2 team last year)? But I am saying the FU guys are doing a whole lot of purple-colored analysis to somehow turn the 48-7 loss into a bunch of positives. I think we really only learned that there are still a whole lot of questions to be answered all over the place. I am far from happy as a Western fan (I'd have them down as a 7 or so on the power rankings), but I still think at 1-0 we have to just look ahead and try to spin it that we feel better than Mercer and VMI this morning.

I am not saying anything, just posting the Clemson score differentials from last season as info

As far as Furman is concerned, we will learn what they have this week at Elon, one way or another

PaladinFan
September 2nd, 2018, 10:09 AM

Look - I have no way to defend WCU's play other than to say we are still 1-0 (anybody remember Samford squeaking out a week 1 win against a D2 team last year)? But I am saying the FU guys are doing a whole lot of purple-colored analysis to somehow turn the 48-7 loss into a bunch of positives. I think we really only learned that there are still a whole lot of questions to be answered all over the place. I am far from happy as a Westeen fan (I'd have them down as a 7 or so on the power rankings), but I still think at 1-0 we have to just look ahead and try to spin it that we feel better than Mercer and VMI this morning.

I think you are misreading us. No one is suggesting that Furman was better than those FBS teams last year. The point is that no one puts up points on Clemson, and Furman did just about as well as anyone else has done (especially given the talent disparity).

Furman fans saw yesterday's game for what it is. It was a money game between two teams with a significant talent gap.

However, if you look around the country at other teams, Furman performed as well or better than just about anyone did against top competition. Alabama, for instance, beat Louisville 51-14. That doesn't make 48-7 to Clemson seem so bad, frankly.

If you watched the game, Furman was down 13-0 late in the second quarter. Furman got hosed on a call that would have given the Paladins the ball about midfield with under 3:00 to play - likely going in at the half 13-0. Clemson scored twice quickly.

PaladinFan
September 2nd, 2018, 10:16 AM
Tenn
Furman
UTC
Wofford
Mercer
FSU

As for the Power Rankings, I have a few thoughts based JUST from eye test:
#1 - Furman and Samford. Samford's offense is what was to be expected. The defense, however, is still untested, and FSU will probably not be the place to completely determine its merit - speed kills. This unit will probably be an ongoing work in progress, similar to last year.
Just on the eye test, the Furman defense is impressive. I was especially surprised at how well the secondary can play. More can be ascertained this week of course against a good Elon team. Just from what I saw, I don't see why Jemar Lincoln isn't THE QB. I'll just let the #1 spot be a tie for the moment.
#3 - Wofford. They will work out a few kinks and be a very tough group that could win it all.
#4 - UTC. I was just not impressed with their TTU game, because that team is still really bad, IMO, but I'll give the Mocs the benefit of the doubt.
#5 - Mercer. It looked to me that Memphis was trying as hard as possible to pile it on. The Bears are much better than what we saw.
#6 - The Citadel. This Saturday will tell us a lot.
#7 - Western. They can't be happy with yesterday. This ranking may be very temporary.
#8 - ETSU. IMO, a surprisingly poor showing.
#9 - VMI. xrolleyesx

The Furman secondary is the area I've been most excited about this season. They were incredibly inexperienced at that position last season.

Clemson is a bad comparison given the size and speed of their WRs, but Furman should be able to limit the passing game. If Amir Trapp comes as advertised, they can deploy him against other team's top receivers, and maybe limit (or significantly limit) their touches. With Furman's pass rush, taking away a top receiver may make the defense quite formidable.

PaladinFan
September 2nd, 2018, 10:57 AM
Curious question for WCU fans - during one fourth quarter play, Tyrie Adams' helmet came off. I understood the announcers say that was the third time that had happened during the game. The WCU backup immediately sprinted out on the field, ran a play, and then came off.

Does that happen often? Seems like missing your best player for three snaps in a close game because of an equipment issue is not ideal.

Reign of Terrier
September 2nd, 2018, 10:59 AM
Who does Western bring back at the skill positions on offense?

It would seem their defense is paper mache as always but I still wouldn't want to get in a shootout with their offense and this will be exasperated if they have many returning starters at wideout (though I think their last 2 record-breaking playmakers graduated?)

PaladinFan
September 2nd, 2018, 12:13 PM

It would seem their defense is paper mache as always but I still wouldn't want to get in a shootout with their offense and this will be exasperated if they have many returning starters at wideout (though I think their last 2 record-breaking playmakers graduated?)

I think it is pretty much the Tyrie Adams show. At least it was last night.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 2nd, 2018, 12:23 PM
After yesterday's games, here's where I see this:

1) Samford - burninated Shorter
2) Furman - went to the Valley of Death and had a TD to show for it.
3) Wofford - kicks off Conklin era with win
4) Chattanooga - took care of business against Tenn. Tech.
5) ETSU - overcame a sluggish start in the first half
6) Mercer - found out the hard way this isn't their father's Tiger High.
7) Western Carolina - received a phone call from McKayla Maroney about how she was not impressed.
8) The Citadel - Had a decent game against Wofford.
9) VMI - Another year, another beatdown to kick off the season.

This week's games
ETSU @ Tennessee - Bucs may be a decent team, but this is not 1987 and their opponent's not NC State
Furman @ Elon - Paladins avenge last year's loss
Chattanooga @ The Citadel - Mocs get it done on the road.
VMI @ Wofford (Beatdown of the Week) - Terriers still remain undefeated
Jacksonville @ Mercer - Mercer goes mercilessly on the Dolphins
Samford @ Florida State - Seminoles win big.

SCPALADIN
September 2nd, 2018, 12:35 PM
After yesterday's games, here's where I see this:

1) Samford - burninated Shorter
2) Furman - went to the Valley of Death and had a TD to show for it.
3) Wofford - kicks off Conklin era with win
4) Chattanooga - took care of business against Tenn. Tech.
5) ETSU - overcame a sluggish start in the first half
6) Mercer - found out the hard way this isn't their father's Tiger High.
7) Western Carolina - received a phone call from McKayla Maroney about how she was not impressed.
8) The Citadel - Had a decent game against Wofford.
9) VMI - Another year, another beatdown to kick off the season.

This week's games
ETSU @ Tennessee - Bucs may be a decent team, but this is not 1987 and their opponent's not NC State
Furman @ Elon - Paladins avenge last year's loss Chattanooga @ The Citadel - Mocs get it done on the road.
VMI @ Wofford (Beatdown of the Week) - Terriers still remain undefeated
Jacksonville @ Mercer - Mercer goes mercilessly on the Dolphins
Samford @ Florida State - Seminoles win big.

Furman @ Elon - Paladins avenge last year's loss Didn't we already do that in last year's playoffs?

SU DOG
September 2nd, 2018, 01:10 PM

Just to clarify, the Samford game last year against D-2 Playoff team West Alabama might not be a good comparison. The halftime score was 35-7, and 20 of the Tigers points were in the 4th quarter when we coasted and maybe subbed too much.
As for Furman takes - you really can't determine much from close first half scores against these P5 biggies, and "if" this and that. We all do that, however, to try and have a better perception for our team's performance. Last year the team that played close for the NC, had only a 14 point lead (21-7) over Samford at the half. Also, the Georgia defense gave up more points to only team (ND - 19 points) in their first 6 games than the 14 that Samford scored. What does this mean? Realistically VERY little.

wcugrad95
September 2nd, 2018, 01:20 PM
Curious question for WCU fans - during one fourth quarter play, Tyrie Adams' helmet came off. I understood the announcers say that was the third time that had happened during the game. The WCU backup immediately sprinted out on the field, ran a play, and then came off.

Does that happen often? Seems like missing your best player for three snaps in a close game because of an equipment issue is not ideal.

It was rediculous. Of course it wasn't for three consecutive plays - but it did happen three different times. On at least 2, it happened because Tyrie hasn't learned the art of just going down. You hate to tell a guy to do that, but I agree - the extra 2 yards he got were not worth having him off the field the next play.

PaladinFan
September 2nd, 2018, 01:24 PM
Just to clarify, the Samford game last year against D-2 Playoff team West Alabama might not be a good comparison. The halftime score was 35-7, and 20 of the Tigers points were in the 4th quarter when we coasted and maybe subbed too much.
As for Furman takes - you really can't determine much from close first half scores against these P5 biggies, and "if" this and that. We all do that, however, to try and have a better perception for our team's performance. Last year the team that played close for the NC, had only a 14 point lead (21-7) over Samford at the half. Also, the Georgia defense gave up more points to only team (ND - 19 points) in their first 6 games than the 14 that Samford scored. What does this mean? Realistically VERY little.

You certainly cannot read too much into it. At bottom, the #2 team in the country -- not just an FBS school, but a school that is one of the small handful with a legitimate shot to win the national title -- struggled for two quarters to move the ball on our defense. Our offense, surprising nobody, struggled to move the ball on Clemson. Everyone struggles to move the ball on Clemson.

What does that mean? Absolutely nothing. Games like that are poor indicators of what either team can do. Neither team opens it up, and both squads are just hoping to get in, play some folks, and get out injury free.

You can't take much from the game. I thought Furman, at times, did some pretty good things against a vastly superior team. No one Furman will see the remainder of the season has anywhere near the athletes Clemson has.

wcugrad95
September 2nd, 2018, 01:28 PM

It would seem their defense is paper mache as always but I still wouldn't want to get in a shootout with their offense and this will be exasperated if they have many returning starters at wideout (though I think their last 2 record-breaking playmakers graduate

No surprise Adams is the main cog. We converted Young back to his natural position of RB and he had something like 98 yards. We also have Holloway (didn't play but had over 400 yards rushing and 7 TDs last year) and Spencer (300 yards rushing and 6 TDs last year). Mathis is our leading returning WR, and we seemed solid there yesterday with Patten (4 catches and some decent punt returns) as our deep threat and Mullen (4 catches as a Charlotte transfer). We also have 2 good TEs who have both played a lot in Cosenke and Phillips.

The O was pretty underwhelming for a number of drives, and settled for 2 FGs when against a D2 school there is little excuse not to score TDs. But we did have just under 500 yards offense.

I think we will be ok on that side, but on D...
Let's just say we are very young and have lots of opportunities to improve.

PaladinFan
September 2nd, 2018, 01:29 PM
It was rediculous. Of course it wasn't for three consecutive plays - but it did happen three different times. On at least 2, it happened because Tyrie hasn't learned the art of just going down. You hate to tell a guy to do that, but I agree - the extra 2 yards he got were not worth having him off the field the next play.

I guess those are two different issues. Having your best player taking extra hits for a few yards, and having a routine equipment malfunction that takes him off the field.

Going back, I remember Ingle Martin being really smart about how many hits he would take. Martin was a big guy that could run, but he rarely would let a defender get a clean shot at him. He'd get what he could, and even though he could get more, would duck out of bounds. Having him healthy was far more important to Furman than a few extra yards.

WCU-Cats!
September 2nd, 2018, 02:19 PM
I am just glad after last night we have a week off to tinker some things lol

wcugrad95
September 2nd, 2018, 02:26 PM
Agree. At first I hated how our early season schedule stacked up. Originally we were supposed to play Presbyterian, then rumor was SC State was going to be the replacement, and at the last minute we ended up getting Newberry for the opener. Now I am very glad we have a BYE and then Gardner-Webb and VMI to try and figure those things out before we play back-to-back road games against Furman and Samford. I said on the WCU board that if we don't find something on D then Furman will run Dirks about 60 times right up the middle, and then Hodges will pick our broken-coverage apart all night. After yesterday, all effort should be on lighting a fire this week with a bunch of tackling drills, only thinking about these next 2 games, and no talk should be about the Paladins or Bulldogs at this stage.

PaladinFan
September 3rd, 2018, 07:07 AM
Looking at that Mercer/Jacksonville game, I originally thought that was going to be a "win by as many as you want" game for Mercer.

Mercer had an admittedly bad day against Memphis. Jacksonville beat the stuffing out of a .500ish DII program. We just saw a Pioneer League go in and knock off Youngstown, a pretty consistent playoff team (though currently not very good). While a non-scholarship conference, the Pioneer has been known from time to time to bite FCS scholarship programs.

Could the Bears be in for a tougher-than-expected game against the Dolphins? I ordinarily think that SoCon schools should walk away in these games, but in Week 1 ETSU and WCU showed us that's not always the case.

wcugrad95
September 3rd, 2018, 08:23 AM
I think Mercer rights the ship - too many good players, a veteran coach, and something to prove. My hope is that week #1 is where most eggs are laid and wakeup calls are given.

That being said, a bunch of these D2 and NAIA schools particularly in the South are starting to be full of guys who were heavily recruited but couldn't qualify (frequently for FBS programs). So it is pretty naive in my opinion to immediately say they are "automatic wins" like many used to think. A bit of me trying to rationalize Western's game, but I can tell you that Newberry team signed 51 guys last recruiting class and they would have wiped the field with several of the OOC FCS teams we have played in the last few years. I know that is not the same as Mercer vs a Pioneer team, but is part of the reason why I think Mercer still wins this one handily.

PaladinFan
September 3rd, 2018, 08:44 AM
I think Mercer rights the ship - too many good players, a veteran coach, and something to prove. My hope is that week #1 is where most eggs are laid and wakeup calls are given.

That being said, a bunch of these D2 and NAIA schools particularly in the South are starting to be full of guys who were heavily recruited but couldn't qualify (frequently for FBS programs). So it is pretty naive in my opinion to immediately say they are "automatic wins" like many used to think. A bit of me trying to rationalize Western's game, but I can tell you that Newberry team signed 51 guys last recruiting class and they would have wiped the field with several of the OOC FCS teams we have played in the last few years. I know that is not the same as Mercer vs a Pioneer team, but is part of the reason why I think Mercer still wins this one handily.

I tried to go back in my memory, but I'm not sure I can remember a Bobby Lamb coached team losing as badly as they did on Saturday. I'm not sure there is even a close No. 2 in that category.

FUBeAR
September 3rd, 2018, 09:23 AM
I tried to go back in my memory, but I'm not sure I can remember a Bobby Lamb coached team losing as badly as they did on Saturday. I'm not sure there is even a close No. 2 in that category.Sure there is... http://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup?gameId=293110002

PaladinFan
September 3rd, 2018, 09:51 AM
Sure there is... http://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup?gameId=293110002

I was in the stands for that one. Auburn could have scored as many as they wanted to in that one.

Of course, I think that goes to the point. Auburn's margin of victory was three touchdowns fewer than Memphis'. That is probably a solid No. 2, but still not as bad as Saturday.

FUBeAR
September 3rd, 2018, 09:58 AM
I think Mercer rights the ship - too many good players, a veteran coach, and something to prove.

Watched the 1st half on replay last night. It was BAD...but not really as horrendously gosh-awful as I originally thought.

Despite the score, yards, etc. Mercer's D did not play as badly as I thought they had. First of all, Memphis has some CATS (all over the field) and their Gr-Xfer QB was Devlin Hodges with a faster release and more arm-zip. I guess there can be something to this 5-Star/4-Star ish (occasionally).

I was also VERY impressed with their OL. Their Starters average 6'4 292 (which would make them the 2nd smallest OL in the SoCon, I believe...just sayin'). Those dudes played HARD, PHYSICAL, and were very athletic. They, along with the WR, were also EXPERTS at grabbing cloth and holding on, until it had stretched just enough for the Refs to only think about calling holding, but not quite pull their flags (except for 1x when the LT pulled on Counter and totally bear-hugged Mercer's LB - they called that one). They block with a passion (and a little loose interpretation of the rules) all over the field (WR's, RB's and TE's too)...and their CATS don't need much room to make big things happen - on the ground OR in the air. In my estimation, most of their WR's and RB's would be 1st Team All-SoCon, as would most of all of their O-Line and QB (yep - even over Sammy's #8 - sorry bullpup fans - I call 'em as I see 'em).

As the D wore down, I did notice some effort issues...and they had more blown coverages than is acceptable, but those are fixable. Tackling, also, could have been a lot better, but I could say that about almost every Team I watched this weekend - effect of limited practices/contact...maybe. Mercer did force 3 fumbles, but only snagged 1 of them (for a 57 yard return leading to a TD). Still confident in Mercer's Talent on D, but they need to clean things up in the secondary A LOT and they need to figure out how to chop (and break, if necessary...sorry...it's still a violent game) arms that are holding them. Funny that playing against a hard-core option Team in Jax this week will (hopefully) seem like a bit of a 'break' between Memphis' and Sammy's guns-a-blazin' approach. They are pretty used to playing against option Teams and have been reasonably successful in doing so in the past couple of years. If they play poorly on D vs. Jax, then 1-10 or 2-9 is about the best I can foresee for this year's Bears. I think they will play well and head into Homewood with confidence restored.

Mercer's Special Teams had a good game - over 42 yards punting average with -6 PR yards on the 2 (of 9) that were returned. Memphis has an All-World KOR man, who will most likely soon hold the NCAA record for KOR TD's, and Mercer held him to 14 yards/return. Some issues on getting ST personnel into the game and one bad snap on an XP that returned for a 2-pt conversion...but was nullified by an offside penalty. So...all in all, a very good day by Mercer's ST's - not always the case against a FAST FBS Team.

Mercer's Offense....sorry, gotta sign off now.

Oh - one other thing. I think...just a hunch...that Memphis was playing this game for the "Group of 5" also. If you haven't seen it, on Social Media, UCF and other G5 schools...as well as Big 10 and PAC 10...have been RELENTLESS in their criticism of Bama playing Mercer last year...not winning the SEC West and still going to the Playoff. Just constant..."What about Mercer stuff..."...They've now added "Citadel" to their non-stop attacks since El Cid plays @ Bama this year. I think Memphis said..."OK Bama, you beat these guys 56-0 last year in a full game...Hold my beer." They tried an onside kick up 21-0 or 28-0. They went for it on 4th down inside Mercer's 15 up 42-0. Even the Memphis announcers criticized them for not just kicking the field goal. At the end of the half, up 49-0, they were in FULL-BLOWN 2-minute Offense to get it to 56-0 before the half. They scored on a pass as the clock expired on a catch that ruled a catch (that wasn't), that was reviewed and the ruling (wrongly - hard to get those calls in an FBS stadium, ain't it FU fans? We know!) upheld. I don't mind that stuff at all. I'm a believer that it's the other Team's job to stop them, so I'm not whining about it...fine with me...BUT, I think it does say something about Memphis' motivation and desire to put up numbers that made this game look worse than a normal FBS over FCS beat-down. They were playing against Alabama on Saturday too...in their minds....certainly not on the field.

FUBeAR
September 3rd, 2018, 10:15 AM
I was in the stands for that one. Auburn could have scored as many as they wanted to in that one.

Of course, I think that goes to the point. Auburn's margin of victory was three touchdowns fewer than Memphis'. That is probably a solid No. 2, but still not as bad as Saturday.
See my addendum to my recent post. IMO, Memphis was highly motivated to make this look as bad as they possibly could.

Not whining about it - fine - I don't care - run it up - don't matter to me - an L is an L - just 'splainin' why I think they did.

PaladinFan
September 3rd, 2018, 10:31 AM
See my addendum to my recent post. IMO, Memphis was highly motivated to make this look as bad as they possibly could.

Not whining about it - fine - I don't care - run it up - don't matter to me - an L is an L - just 'splainin' why I think they did.

It's possible. I also think some teams use the opportunity to "practice" stuff in a game.

Memphis may have wanted their first look at an onside kick to come in a blowout win against Mercer than a tight fourth quarter affair against a conference opponent. As you know, it's hard to practice things at game speed.

Not saying I agree with it, just that it might be a rationale for doing it.

wcugrad95
September 3rd, 2018, 10:40 AM
Memphis is a terrible first-game matchup for anybody. They won 10 games last year and their camp expected them to be better this year. I agree that Mercer (or any FCS vs FBS team) stands a chance to look better against teams that run a more traditional offense/scheme, but against that kind of offense if things start rolling they are hard to put the brakes on.

PaladinFan
September 3rd, 2018, 11:11 AM
SoCon POTW: http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4000&ATCLID=211770383&_ga=2.201780113.1224221374.1535991025-1406335793.1516044874

OPOTW: Nunnaly (UTC)
DPOTW: Dawkins (Cit)
STPOTW: Finneran (Samford)

SU DOG
September 3rd, 2018, 11:51 AM
Maybe I am "Old School" because I'm old(that true), but IMO, there was NO excuse that justified what Memphis did. Good Sportsmanship might be an outdated term to some, but I'll never change my thinking that it is important, and should be encouraged at every level. Coach Norvell might have slept good Saturday night, but I wouldn't have. Having coached football for 15 years, I truly hope I had some other good influences on some young lives other than just some Os and Xs on a chalkboard.

PaladinFan
September 3rd, 2018, 12:20 PM
Maybe I am "Old School" because I'm old(that true), but IMO, there was NO excuse that justified what Memphis did. Good Sportsmanship might be an outdated term to some, but I'll never change my thinking that it is important, and should be encouraged at every level. Coach Norvell might have slept good Saturday night, but I wouldn't have. Having coached football for 15 years, I truly hope I had some other good influences on some young lives other than just some Os and Xs on a chalkboard.

Hard to know. I think Memphis powered down at half time. At some point, though, you just gotta stop them.

Memphis' last score of the day was an 83 yard run by a backup WR who wasn't even listed on the depth chart (despite Memphis listing 7 players at WR). I mean, at some point Mercer just has to make a stop.

I did appreciate Mercer's always positive SID folks leading off with "Mercer outscored Memphis in the second half" in their game report. (https://mercerbears.com/news/2018/9/1/football-bears-fall-in-season-opener-at-memphis.aspx)

Reminds me a bit of Bob Uecker calling Ricky Vaughn. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdv2Wp9MzY0

FUBeAR
September 3rd, 2018, 12:27 PM
Maybe I am "Old School" because I'm old(that true), but IMO, there was NO excuse that justified what Memphis did. Good Sportsmanship might be an outdated term to some, but I'll never change my thinking that it is important, and should be encouraged at every level. Coach Norvell might have slept good Saturday night, but I wouldn't have. Having coached football for 15 years, I truly hope I had some other good influences on some young lives other than just some Os and Xs on a chalkboard. I hear ya...but from their perspective, they think they have an excellent chance to run the table this year...and they need to do every possible thing they can do to get in that Playoff somehow/some way. Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of the FBS Playoff Committee Members?

From Mercer's perspective, it's 1 L...not 66 or 752...just 1; 1 L that doesn't really matter and $300k for the coffers. Having played in and lost a couple of these, back in my day, to Clemson, UNC, and NC State (before we started whippin' them...and USC...and GT), I didn't care if they played or pulled their Starters or what...We got whipped. We knew it heading into the 4th quarter (at the latest) and I really didn't care what the final score was going to be. Now, it was different back them and those Teams didn't try to run it up...style points and social media narratives were not a 'thing' yet. So, I don't know how I would have truly felt if they did. But I don't think I would have cared. Besides, their Coaches would not have wanted to face Coach Sheridan after the game if they did. His glare would have combusted them or turned them to salt or something similar. Man was INTENSE!

PaladinFan
September 3rd, 2018, 12:30 PM
I hear ya...but from their perspective, they think they have an excellent chance to run the table this year...and they need to do every possible thing they can do to get in that Playoff somehow/some way. Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of the FBS Playoff Committee Members?

From Mercer's perspective, it's 1 L...not 66 or 752...just 1; 1 L that doesn't really matter and $300k for the coffers. Having played in and lost a couple of these, back in my day, to Clemson, UNC, and NC State (before we started whippin' them...and USC...and GT), I didn't care if they played or pulled their Starters or what...We got whipped. We knew it heading into the 4th quarter (at the latest) and I really didn't care what the final score was going to be. Now, it was different back them and those Teams didn't try to run it up...style points and social media narratives were not a 'thing' yet. So, I don't know how I would have truly felt if they did. But I don't think I would have cared. Besides, their Coaches would not have wanted to face Coach Sheridan after the game if they did. His glare would have combusted them or turned them to salt or something similar. Man was INTENSE!

As will often be said - you can only lose once today.

Mercer was an underdog, and not expecting to win (maybe they did, but I imagine few others did). At the end of the day, its a loss to an FBS team.

Reign of Terrier
September 3rd, 2018, 12:31 PM
I put zero stock in FBS games. In 2003, Wofford got whalloped by Air Force 41-0 and that didn't stop us from dominating the Socon.

Similarly, we led Clemson in 2011 at half but finished 3rd. In 2010 we got whalloped by Ohio and still won a share of the socon. In 2015, we took Idaho down to the wire and still managed to finish 5-6.

Heck, we beat an FBS in 2002, but didn't make the playoffs.

I think post-App State over Michigan, teams are more confident going into these games, and maybe there's evidence that the FCS win percentage is higher since then, but when these games are no longer in doubt there's points of diminishing information return. Because let's be real, some of these teams treat these games like scrimmages. They're not necessarily going for the juggular because they want to get reps in and they know they can win when it counts.

PaladinFan
September 3rd, 2018, 12:32 PM
I'd be interested, though, to see what, if any, bits and pieces Samford pulls from the Memphis tape and implements into their game plan.

Just happens that the Bears in two weeks will play one of the few teams that can replicate a bit what Mercer can do offensively in terms of scheme. Samford doesn't have those athletes, but they can put a few of those pieces together.

PaladinFan
September 3rd, 2018, 12:35 PM
I put zero stock in FBS games. In 2003, Wofford got whalloped by Air Force 41-0 and that didn't stop us from dominating the Socon.

Similarly, we led Clemson in 2011 at half but finished 3rd. In 2010 we got whalloped by Ohio and still won a share of the socon. In 2015, we took Idaho down to the wire and still managed to finish 5-6.

The more I watch those games, the more it seems like both teams are just trying to get their check and get out of there. I know you are playing to win and all that, but for whatever reason it seems like everyone keeps a lid on things and just tries to get everyone out of there uninjured.

Furman, for instance, didn't do much throwing against Clemson. That's a good way to get a QB injured. There's just no way for the Paladin OL to keep those guys out of the backfield.

FUBeAR
September 3rd, 2018, 01:05 PM
Memphis' last score of the day was an 83 yard run by a backup WRYep - Memphis has backup WR's that are 10.5 100m guys who hold multiple school track records for the Tigers in only 1 year there. They got CATS everywhere man...

Surprising that Mercer's backups couldn't catch him on a (mostly) well-blocked jet sweep with 3 minutes left in the game, run to the wide side from the opposite hash, when he was fresh and they had played most of the 2nd half. Actually, a TR FR CB (also not on Mercer's depth chart) did almost walk him down after another True FR DE (also not listed on Mercer's depth chart) missed a TFL on him that he should have made (see poor tackling...by everyone...damn you NCAA!)

If Mercer's NEW SID's (who recently, came from App St, BTW) last name is Yin, yours is surely Yang.

ElCid
September 3rd, 2018, 02:00 PM
The more I watch those games, the more it seems like both teams are just trying to get their check and get out of there. I know you are playing to win and all that, but for whatever reason it seems like everyone keeps a lid on things and just tries to get everyone out of there uninjured.

Furman, for instance, didn't do much throwing against Clemson. That's a good way to get a QB injured. There's just no way for the Paladin OL to keep those guys out of the backfield.

Not to mention that most FCS teams needs to shorten the game while playing FBS teams and you don't do that by passing. Giving a team like Clemson as few possessions as possible is key to winning, or more realistically, at least keeping it respectable. When we beat S Carolina in '15 we only allowed them 11 possessions all game with two of those with under a minute before the end of each half. Give them a couple more and we lose.

longtimemocfan
September 3rd, 2018, 02:39 PM

I think former coach Russ Huesman mave have been a little over the top in being a good sport. In a playoff game against Fordham he emptied the bench with about 6 minutes to go in the 3rd up 41-7. Fordham quickly scored 2 TD's to close the score to 41-21 prompting him to have to reinsert the starters. He was notorious for trying to be merciful by running the reserve QB straight up the middle to keep from piling on the score. Doesn't exactly excite the reserves when their playing but nevertheless kept his reputation in tact.

SU DOG
September 3rd, 2018, 03:35 PM
I think former coach Russ Huesman mave have been a little over the top in being a good sport. In a playoff game against Fordham he emptied the bench with about 6 minutes to go in the 3rd up 41-7. Fordham quickly scored 2 TD's to close the score to 41-21 prompting him to have to reinsert the starters. He was notorious for trying to be merciful by running the reserve QB straight up the middle to keep from piling on the score. Doesn't exactly excite the reserves when their playing but nevertheless kept his reputation in tact.

Like with anything else, a little common sense must also be used. Maybe I misjudged the Memphis situation somewhat IDK, but I will always stand by what I said about good sportsmanship.

SU FAN
September 3rd, 2018, 03:35 PM
Hoping we can hang with FSU for a half, they are not quite as elite as they were several years ago but they are still a big challenge for FCS programs

SU DOG
September 3rd, 2018, 03:37 PM
Speed KILLS SU FAN, but I also hope for a decent showing.

FUBeAR
September 3rd, 2018, 03:58 PM
Like with anything else, a little common sense must also be used. Maybe I misjudged the Memphis situation somewhat IDK, but I will always stand by what I said about good sportsmanship.
No...you’re right.

Nothing about that showed good sportsmanship, but as a Player, I didn’t care if the opposing Team showed good sportsmanship. I was more like, “F that. Don’t be condescending. I don’t want your charity. Give me your best until I pass out, tap out, or the clock runs out.” As a Coach, I didn’t really either, but it gave me an excuse to mouth off to the opposing Coaches (which made me feel better) after the game.

But Sat. in Memphis, IMO, wasn’t about any of that. It was purely about gettin’ that money (maybe)...down the road, “Well, my goodness, how can we not Rank 12-0 Memphis in the top 4? They were twice as good as Bama was last year.” I don’t blame ‘em. Gettin’ that money is 99% what FBS ‘College’ Football is all about. They were just on their J-O-B’s and, y’know...
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/4f/5b/58/4f5b58e8e64d24403696579d53b48e04.jpgTCB...the game WAS around the corner from Graceland, after all.

FUBeAR
September 3rd, 2018, 04:02 PM
Hoping we can hang with FSU for a half, they are not quite as elite as they were several years ago but they are still a big challenge for FCS programs
I hope FSU beats VaTech by a half hundred tonight. Will make it that much sweeter when y’all cut ‘em next Sat.

BlackNGoldR3v0lut10n
September 3rd, 2018, 04:17 PM
Furman @ Elon - Paladins avenge last year's loss Didn't we already do that in last year's playoffs?

Oops, I apologize.

wcugrad95
September 3rd, 2018, 04:58 PM
The one thing I am taking from this thread is how good FUBeAR thinks CATS are ��

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 3rd, 2018, 08:19 PM
EDIT - Forgot Mercer.

1. Samford...#1 as long as they have Hodges. Don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that this is the best running game Hatcher has had since he arrived at Samford
2. Furman...Not sure the Clemson DL is the best ever, but it's not the caliber of line you see every year for sure. 2.2 yards per carry on rushes, too, which is more than some conference opponents will get on them. Paladins look pretty crisp with their execution as well.
3. Wofford...don't feel really comfortable using either team as a barometer for the other in this one
4. The Citadel...see Wofford
5. Western...not an impressive win, but will give them the benefit of the doubt.
6. UTC...beating the team that was supposed to be the worst team in the OVC and has an anemic offense doesn't convince me they're back to the Russ Huesman days.
7. Mercer
8. ETSU...cranked it up nicely in the second half, still not a great opponent, though
9. VMI...VMI gonna VMI

wcugrad95
September 3rd, 2018, 08:22 PM
Where is Mercer ^^^^^^^^

wcugrad95
September 3rd, 2018, 08:49 PM
#1: Samford - they were already #1 coming in, and blasted a team they were supposed to
#2: Furman - nothing to really learn against Clemson, but lots of guys back from a good team last year
#3: Wofford - also lots of guys back, and already proving they can win close SoCon games again. Law of averages say they can't win every single 1-score game forever, though.
#4: Citadel (for now): If Wofford is 3, the team who had a chance to tie them with 4 plays from the 5 should be right behind until we learn more.
#5: UTC - looked better, but not sure if Tennessee Tech is as good as the D2 schools some of the other teams played.
#6: Big Tie for what I call next to last: being ultra-critical of lackluster play from WCU, ETSU, and Mercer. I expect a big bounce-back from Mercer against a Pioneer foe, a loss by ETSU to the Vols, and WCU can't improve their standing much with a bye unless the others really stink it up.
#9: VMI

FUBeAR
September 4th, 2018, 12:52 AM
FUBeAR's Power Rankings
1) Furman - yep...even after Sammy beats FSU (see below)
2) Samford - thanks for bringing home the scalp (see below), but I see some laurels over there & you look tired.
3) Wofford - hanging around about here...until the Football Gods remove the 1-score hex power they have granted the terriers
4) Chattanooga - Hey, I liked what I saw. I think I could Coach that Team to 7 or 8 wins this year. Right now, I think Coach Arth can too.
5) Mercer - Overwhelmed by those big PussyCats in Memphis (reminds me of some line I heard one time...something about it being undefeated...but I digress), yes, but they can be a Top 3 SoCon Team this year...or they can be a bottom 2...jury is still out...and won't be back until early evening on 9/15...or 9/8 if they can't stop Jax and if their O can't pee a drop vs. the fish. Then....they could, actually, be 0-11.
6) WCU - hate to rank them this low after beating a Team whose entire 2-Deep had offers from Alabama, if they had just had the grades to meet those incredibly tough academic standards that all SEC schools have...Adams continues to be special as long as he stays alive. Defense...well, you saw it. I don't have to say it (again).
7) ETSU - They played out of this world last week...no, wait, they played a Team from out of this world (but not in the Newberry sense, in the celestial sense). They have some talent and experience. Just have to show it...and this week won't be the time they get to do that.
8) CIT - I know they came back and made it a game against Woffy, but doesn't everyone or vice-versa...whatever...as I said, I didn't see the whole game, but what I saw was really, really, really bad.
9) VMI - Pulling for you guys to get better. I think going to an Air Raid offense is just about the least likely thing to make that happen that you could have possibly done, but what do I know...other than a 3-step Punter needs to be more than 10 yards deep....and maybe a few other minor points. Good luck. BEAT WOFFORD!!!!!

FUBeAR's PICKS...
ETSU@ Tennessee - Much like the NCAA punishes Cleveland State for UNC's transgressions, ETSU must pay for the raping that WVU did of UTK last week - VoluntaryMountainFolk 63 - MountainSwashBucklers 3

Furman @ Elon - Furman makes a statement for the Paladins and for the SoCon - PurpleKnightsOfVirtue 42 - Formerly Fightin' Formerly Christians 6

Chattanooga @ The Citadel - y'all are gonna join me and Chattttttown (although I think he's lost the faith) in believing in Chatt. after this one. I liked a lot of what I saw the other night for the TrainBirds. All I saw of the Cit/Woffy game was the bellhops meekly go down 21-0 and then fail, once again, to capitalize in the red zone, when it really mattered. I didn't see the comeback, but from what I can gather, Woffy's young Coaching Staff got to feeling a bit frisky and made some bone-headed calls. There's a problem in ChuckTown and y'all know what it is. You'll admit it after this season...I believe. NativeAmericanSnakes 35 - SamsonsiteDraggers - 10

VMI @ Wofford - The Keydets are refusing to run the ball this year and that won't hurt them this week, because they couldn't anyway. But Woffy's pass D was completely untested last week, so, the Roo's WR's get a couple of blocks and break a couple of tackles to score a few points, but they just don't have the speed on D to keep up with Woffy's RB's. So, unless Woffy's Coaches, again, choose to show how fancy and modern they are now, the TarsalMunchers beat back the Kanga's 24-17 (can't be more than 1 score, right...it's Woffy.)

Jacksonville @ Mercer - After further review, Mercer's Defense was not the worst Defense since, well...anything French. They are gonna be all right in SoCon play. Once again, after further review, the Offense was REALLY the problem even while the Mercer D gave up 9,694 yards and 47 TD's to Memphis. I don't know if it will get well enough to compete in the SoCon, but it might. RB's and WR's are fine. QB situation needs to work itself out, which I kinda think it will...and 1st Team All-SoCon TE needs to get well. OLine did NOT look “improved” against Memphis, as I thought they would...and I'm not sure they will in the SoCon. IMO, that's the key...but isn't it always...really? Sorry, I digressed (again). Mercer's D shuts down JaxU's option and uses superior athletes to score some points. UrsineCarnivores 49 - WaterBoundMammals 14

Samford @ Florida State - FSU looked like a Team on this brink of committing suicide tonight. It's all about the START in this one. If Sammy can get off to a VERY fast start and put up a couple of QUICK scores (maybe 1 on D - that would be a vial of poison for the Criminoles), I think we see fights on FSU's sidelines...maybe between Players and Coaches / Coaches & Coaches / Fans & Coaches & Players. I'm bettin' on the bullpups to get out early and HANG ON - HomewoodHeroes (just for this week) 56 - SemiNOTS - 41.

Bye @ WCU - Bye scores 3 TD's on broken plays, but Tyrie Adams scores, just as his helmet comes off for the 106th time, at the buzzer. The play is ruled a 'no play' on the field, but after review, the Cats, following an FBS tradition, get the call overturned at home and the TD counts. cantamounts 24 - BuyByeBy 21

Catamount87
September 4th, 2018, 08:26 AM
The FUBeAR comedy show is here all week to entertain you. So folks, please remember to take care of your servers.

I bow to his comedic talent this week and post only my picks, no comments.

ETSU @ Tennessee
VMI @ Wofford
Jacksonville @ Mercer
Samford @ Florida State

ElCid
September 4th, 2018, 08:43 AM
1. Samford - easy
2. Wofford - looking good
3. Furman - default
4. UTC - got it done
5. The Citadel - here because they almost pulled it off
6. WCU - waaaaay too close against someone they should have throttled
7. Mercer - nobody should get beat like they did
8. ETSU - took too long against a team they should have handled easy
9. VMI - oh well

ETSU @ Tennessee - by 50+
Chattanooga @ The Citadel - unless my Dogs get it in gear, it could be a long year - by 10
Furman @ Elon - Elon at home will make it tough - by 4
Jacksonville @ Mercer - Bears bounce back - by 20
VMI @ Wofford - Wofford rolls by 32+
Samford @ Florida State - Samford may give them fits early, but we all know the outcome - by 28+

FUBeAR
September 4th, 2018, 08:56 AM
Mercer - nobody should get beat like they did

...or worse... http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400937521

SU DOG
September 4th, 2018, 09:57 AM
There's not a team in the FCS that can catch those FSU racehorse receivers/backs. Yeah, they were discombobulated last night, but that result was Samford's worst case scenario. Their speed will be WAY too much for us. I just hope we can be respectable.

PaladinFan
September 4th, 2018, 10:02 AM

Clemson > Memphis.

PaladinFan
September 4th, 2018, 10:03 AM
There's not a team in the FCS that can catch those FSU racehorse receivers/backs. Yeah, they were discombobulated last night, but that result was Samford's worst case scenario. Their speed will be WAY too much for us. I just hope we can be respectable.

Some argue that they'd rather face an FBS team that knows how to lose.

I'd frankly face an FBS team that didn't just get embarrassed on national television and wants to take it out on my team.

wcugrad95
September 4th, 2018, 10:06 AM
You have to hope FSU looks clueless on Offense again. Their D was really good for a really long time, but even FSU can't expect to stay in a game where their offense is so anemic. 84 yards on the one run from Akers, otherwise they had 94 yards rushing for the ENTIRE game.

The big thing for Samford would be get off to a fast start (duh!!!). Get a score or two on the board and maybe doubt starts creeping in for the Noles (or they just flat-out lose interest like they did some last year). As with all the SoCon teams, I am pulling for a good OOC showing.

walliver
September 4th, 2018, 10:08 AM
Power rankings:
1) Wofford - only team to win a conference game. Most of the problems last week were from our old coaches, not the new ones.
2) Samford - still the team to beat
3) Furman - I don't read much into a P5 loss, but also didn't see any moral victory either.
4) Chattanooga - they won a game, not a great opponent, but still a D-1 program
5) WCU - They won, but they need to fix a lot to compete for the SoCon.
6) Mercer - I expected a closer loss, but Memphis, unlike SEC programs and Clemson, likely feels the need to make a statement, not just win a game without injuries.
7) ETSU - they won a game, but it was Mars Hill
8) The Citadel - they showed great heart, but take away 3 dumb turnovers and they lose 28-0.
9) VMI - somethings never change. Every other military school in D-1 runs a variation of the triple option. Maybe there's a reason for that.

This week:
ETSU makes the short trip to Tennessee - UT longs for the glory day but remains a mediocre team ... But a mediocre SEC team and will try to make a statement with this game and Rocky Tops roll over the Mountain Pirates 56-13.
Chattanooga at the Citadel - the Chucktown pups are in decline and the Trainbirds are coming off rock bottom. I expect a low scoring game and eventual Trainbird win 21-16.
Furman at Elon - Both games last year were close, and I see no reason this week will be any different. Last year the visitors won both games, but without Blazejowski, the Oaks pull out a 21-17 win over the Pukes.
VMI at Wofford - last year the T-Dogs won this game by more than a touchdown (45-14). If the coaches can correct the bad errors from last week Wofford wins by a similar score. However, I excpect more unusual play-calling and a 27-13 terrier win.
Jacksonville vs Mercer - An easy Pioneer win for the cubbies, and after two weeks we still won't have a good feel for how good Mercer will be this year. Teddy's win 31-7
Samford at FSU - The Criminoles are now at best the 4th best team in the ACC, but can't be taken lightly. Sammy keeps it close for one half and fades down the stretch for a 45-28 Criminole win.

FUBeAR
September 4th, 2018, 10:18 AM
Clemson > Memphis.
UCF > Alabama. I saw it on the Interwebs. It has to be true.

...and...his comment was not qualified by competition level. This, my asserted rebuttal is valid.

...and2...I could have selected this game. http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400951374 - I was there. It was WAY worse. At least Mercer’s Starters didn’t quit. I bet you would not have commented if I had, huh?

ElCid
September 4th, 2018, 10:27 AM

Since I know you are not stupid enough to compare Memphis to Clemson, I will assume you simply ignored the level of competition. I will rephrase. Nobody should get beat by Memphis by that much, and if they do, they don't deserve to be that high in a power rating. Yeah they are good, but not that good. I expected much more out of Mercer.

PaladinFan
September 4th, 2018, 10:28 AM
Furman at Elon - Both games last year were close, and I see no reason this week will be any different. Last year the visitors won both games, but without Blazejowski, the Oaks pull out a 21-17 win over the Pukes.

Not debating you, but I just don't think Blazejowski was the one man show many seemed to think. He was a good QB, but not a transcendent "carry the team" player last year.

He was 12-22 (54%) for 176 against Elon in last year's playoff game. 70 of those yards came on one play - TD pass to Andy Schumpert on a throw, literally most of us armchair QBs probably could have made. There wasn't an Elon defender in Schumpert's zip code when he caught the pass.

https://twitter.com/NCAA_FCS/status/934498191709310976

He also threw a pretty crippling pick in Elon's endzone. That's not to say he wasn't a good player for us, but it's not like Furman beat Elon because our QB just carried the team to victory. Furman beat Elon because our defense limited their offense and they had few answers for Dirks and Wilcox.

FUBeAR
September 4th, 2018, 10:31 AM
Nobody should get beat by Memphis by that much, and if they do, they don't deserve to be that high in a power rating. Yeah they are good, but not that good.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400941852

CF 2018 (https://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?s=cf2018)

https://www.masseyratings.com/img/col_ecu.gif
https://www.masseyratings.com/img/col_citadel.gif

East Carolina (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=2292&s=300937)
Citadel (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=1545&s=300937)

Most Likely

Win Probability
83%
17%

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400941814

CF 2018 (https://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?s=cf2018)

https://www.masseyratings.com/img/col_conn.jpg
https://www.masseyratings.com/img/col_citadel.gif

Connecticut (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=1872&s=300937)
Citadel (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=1545&s=300937)

Most Likely

Win Probability
83%
17%

walliver
September 4th, 2018, 10:44 AM
Not debating you, but I just don't think Blazejowski was the one man show many seemed to think. He was a good QB, but not a transcendent "carry the team" player last year.

He was 12-22 (54%) for 176 against Elon in last year's playoff game. 70 of those yards came on one play - TD pass to Andy Schumpert on a throw, literally most of us armchair QBs probably could have made. There wasn't an Elon defender in Schumpert's zip code when he caught the pass.

https://twitter.com/NCAA_FCS/status/934498191709310976

He also threw a pretty crippling pick in Elon's endzone. That's not to say he wasn't a good player for us, but it's not like Furman beat Elon because our QB just carried the team to victory. Furman beat Elon because our defense limited their offense and they had few answers for Dirks and Wilcox.

I doubt many people think Blazejowski was a one-man show, but, he was an experienced QB who did a great job of learning a new system.

PaladinFan
September 4th, 2018, 10:53 AM
Completely true. I said going into last season that Furman didn't have much in the way of experienced players, but the players they did have were at key positions (C, QB, NG, S).

I get the impression Hendrix threw both Lincoln and Grainger into the fire on Saturday. They rotated two series on and off. I doubt we'll see a pure two QB system, but instead the staff just wanted to get a look at them in a game situation.

Admittedly, nobody knows what to expect. Both of those guys are probably better runners than Blazejowski was, and maybe have bigger arms, but maybe lack the "heady" decision making of a senior QB. I do think Furman's offense is designed to make high percentage throws to wide open receivers (a shocking number of completions last year were like that throw to Schumpert - wide open).

The question is what will happen when the game gets tough and the running game isn't working well. Can these young guys win a game late?

ElCid
September 4th, 2018, 10:53 AM
http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400941852

I guess I am missing your point, but you were down to them 56-0 at half. They had 752 yards of offense and clearly throttled back at the end with subs. It got away from Mercer, and they couldn't stop the bleeding, it happens. Accept it.

FUBeAR
September 4th, 2018, 11:06 AM
I guess I am missing your point, but you were down to them 56-0 at half. They had 752 yards of offense and clearly throttled back at the end with subs. It got away from Mercer, and they couldn't stop the bleeding, it happens. Accept it.
Different subject.

You said NOBODY should get beat like that.

So...I posted 2 examples of just last year, (actually in 2 of their most recent 3 games), when the bellhops got beat worse than that - 1 on the scoreboard & 1 in ‘reality,’ if not points...by their historical rival, no less.

Then you qualified your original statement by adding that you meant “beat by Memphis like that.”

So...I showed 2 recent examples of Memphis beating Teams similarly as to the whipping they put on Mercer...Teams that have a “Power Ranking” that projects they would beat the bellhops by 2 scores with an 83% probability.

Your “Power Rating” of the bellhops at #5 in the SoCon is bleeding. Accept it.

SU DOG
September 4th, 2018, 11:07 AM
You have to hope FSU looks clueless on Offense again. Their D was really good for a really long time, but even FSU can't expect to stay in a game where their offense is so anemic. 84 yards on the one run from Akers, otherwise they had 94 yards rushing for the ENTIRE game.

The big thing for Samford would be get off to a fast start (duh!!!). Get a score or two on the board and maybe doubt starts creeping in for the Noles (or they just flat-out lose interest like they did some last year). As with all the SoCon teams, I am pulling for a good OOC showing.

One BIG troubling factor is our style of play. When you face a P5 school with far superior athletes, a good strategy is to shorten the game. Our lack of a good running game makes this much more difficult.

ElCid
September 4th, 2018, 11:15 AM
Different subject.

You said NOBODY should get beat like that.

So...I posted 2 examples of just last year, (actually in 2 of their most recent 3 games), when the bellhops got beat worse than that - 1 on the scoreboard & 1 in ‘reality,’ if not points...to their historical rival.

Then you qualified your original statement by adding that you meant “beat by Memphis like that.”

So...I showed 2 recent examples of Memphis beating Teams similarly as to the whipping they put on Mercer...Teams that have a “Power Ranking” that projects they would beat the bellhops by 2 scores with an 83% probability.

Your “Power Rating” of the bellhops at #5 in the SoCon is bleeding. Accept it.

Wow, you are resorting to transitive paths to make your point. Too funny. You simply cannot defend how Mercer got abused. There is no way around it and their power is down.

And we certainly are not talking about last year. We are talking about this year and week 1 games and how they form a current power rating based on actuals. Not what you would like to see or believe you will see, but what we have seen. No need to change the subject to include fantasy land.

If Mercer handles Jax like they should they will get the rep for it. Right now you got a rep for getting beat like a redheaded step child by Memphis.

PaladinFan
September 4th, 2018, 11:45 AM
Mercer got their fannies whipped.

I don't know how that stacks up historically, but I'm not sure I can recall a SoCon team getting beat as soundly as Mercer did Saturday. Yes, there have been some lopsided games, but surrendering 56 points in two quarters is sort of hard to comprehend.

That said, it's one game. It goes in the book as a loss regardless. Mercer needs to worry about Jacksonville and not let Memphis beat them twice.

PaladinFan
September 4th, 2018, 11:46 AM
One BIG troubling factor is our style of play. When you face a P5 school with far superior athletes, a good strategy is to shorten the game. Our lack of a good running game makes this much more difficult.

I still see Samford as a possession offense. They complete enough passes to keep the clock moving.

What they probably don't want to do is sprint up to the line of scrimmage over and over again. Taking 30 seconds to run 3 plays probably is not going to be a recipe for success against FSU.

FUBeAR
September 4th, 2018, 11:52 AM
Wow, you are resorting to transitive paths to make your point. Too funny. You simply cannot defend how Mercer got abused. There is no way around it and their power is down.

And we certainly are not talking about last year. We are talking about this year and week 1 games and how they form a current power rating based on actuals. Not what you would like to see or believe you will see, but what we have seen. No need to change the subject to include fantasy land.

If Mercer handles Jax like they should they will get the rep for it. Right now you got a rep for getting beat like a redheaded step child by Memphis.
Still a different subject.

By opining that “Nobody should get beat (by Memphis (added later)) like that,” you introduced game vs. game/Team vs. Team comparisons (i.e., transitive properties) to the conversation. Just following your lead...and showing how the bellhops are starting to make a habit of getting regularly beat just like that even vs. FCS SoCon Teams. If you didn’t want to discuss comparative beatings, then I guess you shouldn’t have opened that conversation.

As far as what I saw in Spartanburg was a very meek CIT getting curb-stomped by another rival by a score of 21-0 before the SoCon logo paint was dry on the field...and then failing badly in their effort in the red zone. Between what I saw, what I heard and have read from Spartanburg is that Wofford’s Coaches did almost everything they possibly could to allow the bellhops to get back in the game. I wish the bellhops still knew how to score in the red zone and how to win. They’ve now lost 4 in a row and 7 of their last 9 games. I know you do too.

What I saw in Memphis was a 2017 10-3 FBS Team that only lost 2 games to an undefeated Team & had a 1 point loss in a bowl game they probably didn’t want to play. I saw that Team with 16 Returning Starters & that has a new 4/5 Star QB who was dropping dimes to a whole herd of CATS that would all be 1st Team SoCon WR’s or RB’s. I saw a Team that clearly intended to show the world that the Group of 5 can equal the scoring of the FBS National Champion in half the time. Also, praise the Lord, I saw a mean, nasty, ATHLETIC O-Line (wearing blue). Despite all that, I saw a Mercer Defense that played hard (for the most part), is talented, and has A LOT of experienced depth mixed with some exciting young talent. They need to resolve some coverage issues & they need to tackle better, but they did get some good licks in on those CATS and they should be fine in the SoCon. And, I saw a Mercer Offense that needs to figure it out. I think, maybe, they can and be very good at the skill positions, but I’m not too sure that they can in the O-Line. They were 2-2 (with TD’s) on scoring in the red zone though.

Bottom Line - What I saw from the Visiting Team that lost in Memphis was far better than what I saw from the Visiting Team that lost in SparkleBurg.

wcugrad95
September 4th, 2018, 11:57 AM
In today's game (and with the right QB), many teams turn to a short passing game to basically be their running game. There are still programs who try to be much more balanced, but teams who choose to be "passing teams" have evolved to be less vertical and more systemic in taking what the D gives them - that is generally what I think about Samford. Teams that live through line play tend to throw it to surprise you (I think this is kind of like Furman, although they will still throw it upwards of 20 times). For this weekend, I don't think Sammy wants to throw the ball behind the line of scrimmage against a good and fast FBS defense, but expecting to run the ball ultra-effectively against the FSU front 7 is probably not going to happen regardless.

As mentioned, the biggest problem I see is how pi$$ed the 'Noles will probably be. Time will tell if that is a good or a bad thing, because if you scored early I could see chaos on their sideline. I expect them to out-athlete you in the end and not be as bad as they were last night against the Hokies, but still hoping for an early score just to see how that could effect their morale.

FUBeAR
September 4th, 2018, 12:07 PM
Mercer got their fannies whipped. Yep, they sure did.

I don't know how that stacks up historically, but I'm not sure I can recall a SoCon team getting beat as soundly as Mercer did Saturday. I’m sure there have been on many occasions. Try Googling, you’ll see. I already spotted you Furman @ Auburn in 2009, but you will have fun finding & reporting back the many others.

Yes, there have been some lopsided games, but surrendering 56 points in two quarters is sort of hard to comprehend.I don’t know, since you’ve now posted it 483 times on multiple threads and sites, I think you seem to grasp it pretty well.

That said, it's one game. It goes in the book as a loss regardless. Mercer needs to worry about Jacksonville and not let Memphis beat them twice.You should throw the Alabama game in there. In their 2 most recent games, Mercer has been outscored 122-14 (61-7 on the average). Oh, that must weigh o so heavy on their young minds. All of the Players are in lockdown under 24 hour suicide watch. It’s rumored they they took a Team vote on Sunday to cancel the rest of the season. They are just too emotionally distraught to carry on. Blah, blah, blah...

ElCid
September 4th, 2018, 02:47 PM
Bottom Line - What I saw from the Visiting Team that lost in Memphis was far better than what I saw from the Visiting Team that lost in SparkleBurg.

66-14 xrotatehx
28-21

You make it too easy. Sure my Dogs didn't look great, but they didn't lose by 52. Massey had the score predicted at 49-20. Come close to that and I will agree with you all day. 28-35 point loss would have been about par. 52? No. Hence you get dinged in "my" power poll...and probably a lot of others. They had our game at 27-17. I think we got a birdie on that even if it was ugly and we lost the match.

FUBeAR
September 4th, 2018, 04:59 PM
66-14 xrotatehx
28-21

You make it too easy. Sure my Dogs didn't look great, but they didn't lose by 52. Massey had the score predicted at 49-20. Come close to that and I will agree with you all day. 28-35 point loss would have been about par. 52? No. Hence you get dinged in "my" power poll...and probably a lot of others. They had our game at 27-17. I think we got a birdie on that even if it was ugly and we lost the match.Jeez - you must be a military guy. “Dig me a hole cadet. What have you done with my dirt cadet? Put that back where it belongs! What happened to my hole, cadet? Are you disobeying my orders? Dig me a hole!” Either we’re going to play ‘compare scores/games’ or we’re not & we’re gonna go by what we saw. One is objective, if imperfect & the other is subjective. I’m good with either or both, but you can’t keep playing “Red Light / Green Light” or “Hide the Salami” or whatever games y’all play in those barracks.

If you’re ‘allowing’ comparing scores/games, then I have demonstrated 2 recent examples of Memphis doing exactly what they did to Mercer to 2 Teams that are clearly rated higher than your bellhops; and you must accept those events & objective assessments.

If you’re not ‘allowing’ comparing scores/games, then you have my completely subjective comparative narrative of what I saw in Memphis with what I saw (part of the game) & what I read/heard about the event in Spartanburg.

Now, you can, of course, disagree with my subjective opinion, but you can’t use comparative games/scores to support your reason(s) for your disagreement without ‘accepting’ the comparative scores/games I have submitted for consideration. I didn’t.

I wanted CIT to win. I trepiditiously projected they would win, but the Program has been in a slow, yet accelerating, downward spiral since 1/18/16. I had hoped some more experience in the O-Line and the raw talent of Jordan Black could stem that descent, but I didn’t see that on Saturday. The last ‘good win’ for the bellhops was 1 year and 10 months ago, on 11/5/16, in OT, over a 7-5 Samford Team. Since then, the only 5 W’s have been over a 5-6 D2 Team, a 4-7 Team headed to non-scholarship Football, a 4-7 ‘new program,’ a bad 3-8 Chatt Team, and 0-11 VMI. Maybe they’ll prove me wrong against a much-improved Chatt this weekend... but I don’t think so.

Scrappy94
September 4th, 2018, 07:35 PM
1. Wofford
2. Samford
3. Furman
4. Chattanooga
5. Mercer
6. The Citadel
7. Western Carolina
8. ETSU
9. VMI

ETSU @ Tennessee - Vols by 35+
Furman @ Elon - Paladins by 6
Chattanooga @ The Citadel - Mocs by 10
VMI @ Wofford - Terriers by 28
Jacksonville @ Mercer - Bears by 35+
Samford @ Florida State - Seminoles by 35+

PaladinFan
September 5th, 2018, 10:32 AM
For whatever it's worth, Furman releases their Elon depth chart, moves Harris Roberts to No. 3 and Lincoln/Grainger as co-starters, for now.

Seems like Roberts has a hand injury. He started against Clemson, but didn't play beyond the first series (3 plays) and didn't attempt a throw. Lincoln and Grainger took all of the remaining snaps.

I don't know who we will see on Saturday. I do not expect Furman to rotate QBs like they did Saturday, but what do I know.

Sandlapper Spike
September 5th, 2018, 01:46 PM
FYI for anyone interested, a couple of games involving SoCon teams were picked up for ESPN College Extra: Samford-Florida State (not a surprise, since that is an ACC Regional Network game) and Jacksonville-Mercer.

SCPALADIN
September 5th, 2018, 02:02 PM
1. Samford
2. Wofford
3. Furman
4. Chattanooga
5. Mercer
6. The Citadel
7. Western Carolina
8. ETSU
9. VMI

ETSU @ Tennessee (13-38)
Furman @ Elon (27-13)
Chattanooga @ CIT (31-27)
VMI @ Wofford (6-41)
Jacksonville@ Mercer (13-52)
Samford @ Florida State (24-38)

maninthehighcastle
September 6th, 2018, 09:19 AM
ETSU @ Tennessee
VMI @ Wofford
Jacksonville @ Mercer
Samford @ Florida State

Smitty
September 6th, 2018, 10:15 AM
ETSU @ Tennessee
Furman @ Elon
VMI @ Wofford
Jacksonville @ Mercer
Samford @ Florida State

longtimemocfan
September 6th, 2018, 12:16 PM
One BIG troubling factor is our style of play. When you face a P5 school with far superior athletes, a good strategy is to shorten the game. Our lack of a good running game makes this much more difficult.You make a good point. Though we lost to Alabama a few years back, we were a up tempo offense at the time. I don't think we took one offensive snap that wasn't 5 seconds or less on the play clock. It indeed shortened the game. Alabama had around 320 yards or so on offense which was way below their season average. The game actually felt more competitive then the 31-3 score would indicate.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

SU DOG
September 6th, 2018, 01:18 PM
If our passing game is having success, then shortening the game won't be too big of a problem. With the incomplete passes, however, that presents THE troubling issue. As bad as they looked Monday Night, FSU has some incredible 4-5 star athletes who may be able to cover our receivers better than most teams could. Add a fast pass rush, and I am thinking the matchup will be difficult. Now, if Hodges has some time he will be able to complete some passes for nice gains. The Samford receivers may(I know this is debatable) be the best in FCS. Again, however, this Noles team has so many lightning fast athletes that it could be a long night. A good check, respectable showing, and no major injuries, that is the stated cliché hope in games like this.

Reign of Terrier
September 6th, 2018, 01:28 PM
Samford's pass game lives up to the hype. I'm always concerned when they play a great opponent though, because there's a systemic flaw in their offense (and all air raid offenses) that makes them liable to blow outs.

Because when you're a pass happy team, you can't burn clock that well on unsuccessful drives, which leads to more possession in a game, which leads to a higher probability that your opponents get the ball and score.

Put another way, run teams like Furman and Wofford average about 8 to 10 possessions a game. 11 or 12 if it's a crazy game. Samford probably averages 11 or 12, but more if it's as good game. but if samford's out of sync, the game can get out of hand earlier because they can give their opponents more possessions earlier with more TOP, making their defense more tired.

So I respect Samford and I actually wish they would do better in the playoffs. But it doesn't surprise me when they get blown out just because the style of play is liable for that (see any of Mike Leach's teams)

PaladinFan
September 6th, 2018, 01:32 PM
Samford's pass game lives up to the hype. I'm always concerned when they play a great opponent though, because there's a systemic flaw in their offense (and all air raid offenses) that makes them liable to blow outs.

Because when you're a pass happy team, you can't burn clock that well on unsuccessful drives, which leads to more possession in a game, which leads to a higher probability that your opponents get the ball and score.

Put another way, run teams like Furman and Wofford average about 8 to 10 possessions a game. 11 or 12 if it's a crazy game. Samford probably averages 11 or 12, but more if it's as good game. but if samford's out of sync, the game can get out of hand earlier because they can give their opponents more possessions earlier with more TOP, making their defense more tired.

So I respect Samford and I actually wish they would do better in the playoffs. But it doesn't surprise me when they get blown out just because the style of play is liable for that (see any of Mike Leach's teams)

That was the real surprise with Samford last season, in my opinion. Their defense was far better than most anticipated and their offense, while not as potent as it had been in the past, were able to keep them on the sidelines.

Where air raid teams get in trouble is when they keep running their defense on the field after 30 seconds of game clock. It doesn't take long for a defense to run down doing that.

SCPALADIN
September 6th, 2018, 04:16 PM
ETSU @ Tennessee
VMI @ Wofford
Jacksonville @ Mercer
Samford @ Florida State

Ummm....what?!?!

PaladinFan
September 6th, 2018, 04:57 PM
Now that I have had a chance to catch parts of most every team's game.

1. Samford
2. Furman
3. Wofford
4. WCU
5. UTC
6. Mercer
7. The Citadel
8. ETSU
9. VMI

Thoughts:

Hard to know much about Samford. They did what they were supposed to do against Shorter.

Furman looked better than the score indicated, especially defensively. They looked fundamentally sound on defense. Offense was hit or miss (mostly miss), but you could see where plays that Clemson gobbled up likely would be there against FCS competition.

Wofford did what they do best - win close games late.

UTC had a much needed strong showing. I still thought their run game is too slow to develop. They may just be better letting Tiano air it out back there.

Mercer looked bad on both sides of the ball. The Bear defense is physically big, but looked slow against Memphis' speedy players. Lot of falling down and tripping over one another. Offensively, they looked like they are heading for that single back spread purgatory Furman went into in 2011. Just one game though. We may not know much about them until they matchup with Samford's quick receiving corps next week.

The Citadel has good looking athletes, but are not as fundamentally sound as they should be. Much has been made of their tackling, but its a lot of guys running up and trying to knock people over with their shoulder. I think that is going to consistently hurt them against teams with RBs that don't go down on first contact. Could get a huge win for them this week if they clean it up a bit.

jayhawkdaddy
September 6th, 2018, 06:19 PM
Week 2 games:
Tennessee
Elon
Chattanooga
Wofford
Mercer
Florida State

Week 2 Power Poll
1. SU
2. WC
3. UTC
4. FU
5. CIT
6. MU
7. WCU
8. ETSU
9. VMI

FUBeAR
September 6th, 2018, 07:30 PM
Mercer looked bad...Lot of falling down and tripping over one another.
Live Look-in at PaladinFan's screen while he thought he was watching the Mercer @ Memphis game...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZBdxvego1E

kdinva
September 6th, 2018, 07:50 PM
ETSU 13 @ Tennessee 41
Furman 28 @ Elon 20
Chattanooga 27 @ The Citadel 31
VMI 24 @ Wofford 35
Jacksonville 20 @ Mercer 27
Samford 17 @ Florida State​ 44

PaladinFan
September 6th, 2018, 08:15 PM
Live Look-in at PaladinFan's screen while he thought he was watching the Mercer @ Memphis game...

I watched a lot of the actual game, but the highlights are instructive (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBrgW4EWIkQ)

Yes, a lot of tripping, falling, flailing, diving, arm tackles, bad angles, and weak pursuit.

Bobby Lamb's look at 3:26 says about all anyone needs to know.

FUBeAR
September 6th, 2018, 08:29 PM
I watched a lot of the actual game, but the highlights are instructive (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBrgW4EWIkQ)

Yes, a lot of tripping, falling, flailing, diving, arm tackles, bad angles, and weak pursuit.

Bobby Lamb's look at 3:26 says about all anyone needs to know.

Oh yeah....well, take THIS!

https://twitter.com/MercerFootball/status/1036632844486017024

...and, before you say it, #33 is a #2 CB for Memphis and #17 is a True FR WR for Mercer, not listed on the 2-Deep.

PaladinFan
September 6th, 2018, 09:43 PM
Good looking play.

Listening to Lamb's comments it sounds like Riddle gets serious consideration as a starter. That's at least mildly surprising given the success Riley had last season. It does seem like this new redshirt rule has opened the door to more QB battles.

FUBeAR
September 6th, 2018, 10:06 PM
Good looking play.

Listening to Lamb's comments it sounds like Riddle gets serious consideration as a starter. That's at least mildly surprising given the success Riley had last season. It does seem like this new redshirt rule has opened the door to more QB battles.
True.

True.
FUBeAR is not surprised, even mildly.
True, but not a factor in this situation. Riley already redshirted in 2016 & Riddle already redshirted in 2017.

PaladinFan
September 7th, 2018, 06:37 AM
Watched a little bit of the Jacksonville game from last week.

I have Mercer as a heavy favorite, but I was surprised with Jacksonville. They are not big, but physically look like they can handle themselves. Evenmoreso running that offense. Several elusive, thick legged runners.

FUBeAR
September 7th, 2018, 07:11 AM
Watched a little bit of the Jacksonville game from last week.
You ARE dedicated. Watching a PFL vs. D2 CIAA game broadcast from Jacksonville’s ‘stadium’ is considered cruel & unusual punishment in some circles. I’ll admit I tried to watch some of it, but tapped out after a couple minutes.

St. Aug. lost to Catawba 49-0 last year, the week before Catawba edged VMI 27-20 after trailing the Keydets 10-0 at halftime. I don’t think they are very good, as their 63-14 loss to JaxU would confirm.

JaxU is well-coached and if Mercer didn’t have so much experience playing against CIT & Woffy’s option game, as well as stomping JaxU 48-7 last year, this game could be problematic, but I think the Bears will be just fine tomorrow. They have a thick legged runner too.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28689&stc=1

PaladinFan
September 7th, 2018, 07:24 AM
From what I saw against Memphis (again, small sample size), Mercer probably fares better against an inside run game. They are a physical defense that probably would prefer an opponent that isn't going to spread them out.

I think a more telling competitor for what sort of team Mercer has this year will be Samford next week.

wcugrad95
September 7th, 2018, 07:47 AM

Sorry - I had to. Yes - I think a SoCon school will be a better gauge of where our member teams are at than the D2 and Pioneer teams several of us have (or will) face. That clearly includes WCU, who I don't know what we will know given their schedule for the first 4 weeks. I don't think anybody knows a whole lot until after about a team's 3rd or 4th game unless you are Wofford and somehow seem to start the season with a bunch of conference tilts.

FUBeAR
September 7th, 2018, 08:32 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28692&stc=1

Sorry - I had to. Yes - I think a SoCon school will be a better gauge of where our member teams are at than the D2 and Pioneer teams several of us have (or will) face. That clearly includes WCU, who I don't know what we will know given their schedule for the first 4 weeks. I don't think anybody knows a whole lot until after about a team's 3rd or 4th game unless you are Wofford and somehow seem to start the season with a bunch of conference tilts.Hmmm....I don’t know. From what I’m reading, Newberry is, at worst, a middle-of-the-pack SoCon Team. After all, they did finish tied for 4th with powerhouses, Tusculum & Limestone, in the SAC last year. Actually, it seems some folks of the Purple & bronzish-gold ilk are of the definitive opinion that the D2 Wolves could give Bama a darn good run for their money.

FUBeAR
September 7th, 2018, 08:44 AM
From what I saw against Memphis (again, small sample size), Mercer probably fares better against an inside run game. They are a physical defense that probably would prefer an opponent that isn't going to spread them out.

I think a more telling competitor for what sort of team Mercer has this year will be Samford next week.Samford’s Offense scored 2 TD’s on Mercer last year, one of those on a short field. Only Georgia, Mercer, Kennesaw (Playoff game only), and VMI (???) held Samford’s Offense to 2 TD’s last year. Like Samford’s O, most of Mercer’s D returns this year; so it will be pretty much the same Players on the field for those units in 2018.

Reign of Terrier
September 7th, 2018, 08:51 AM
Mercer had a great defense and a garbage offense last year

PaladinFan
September 7th, 2018, 08:59 AM
Samford’s Offense scored 2 TD’s on Mercer last year, one of those on a short field. Only Georgia, Mercer, Kennesaw (Playoff game only), and VMI (???) held Samford’s Offense to 2 TD’s last year. Like Samford’s O, most of Mercer’s D returns this year; so it will be pretty much the same Players on the field for those units in 2018.

All of that may be true. Maybe they didn't eat their Wheaties Saturday.

I am just extrapolating on what I saw in that game Saturday and not what happened last year. Mercer looked confused and fundamentally poor on defense.

Again, it's just one game. After that one game, though, I'm not ready to say Mercer basically has the same defense as last year.

FUBeAR
September 7th, 2018, 09:01 AM
Mercer had a great defense and a garbage offense last year
Yep...in most games.

And, as I said earlier, despite the 834 points & 9,723 yards Memphis put up last week, I am not concerned about Mercer’s D. Their Offense is another matter.

BTW - I didn’t know that Memphis scored 37, 48, 44, 70, 30, 42, 56, 41, 66, 70, and 55 in 11 of their games last year. Those Cats really know how to ‘score the basketball!’

FUBeAR
September 7th, 2018, 09:04 AM
Mercer looked confused and fundamentally poor on defense.

I'm not ready to say Mercer basically has the same defense as last year.So did 11 of 13 FBS Teams they played last year (actually 12, since they played UCF 2x and more than atoned for a poor Offensive showing in their 1st meeting), including ‘National Champion,’ Central Florida, who gave up 55 points to those CATS!

Whether you’re ready to say it or not, the fact is that they do have the same Defense, and should prove to be better with some of the young & talented depth I’ve seen. Sidney Otiwu looks to be more than an adequate replacement for ILB, Lee Bennett and Travonte Easley/Brad Earnest are at least as strong as OLB, Kyle Williams. DE, Jalen Penn, was listed as a Starter & a good Player, but Guillen & Wysor probably played considerably more plays than he did. The rest of them are Returning Starters.

PaladinFan
September 7th, 2018, 09:35 AM
So did 11 of 13 FBS Teams they played last year (actually 12, since they played UCF 2x and more than atoned for a poor Offensive showing in their 1st meeting), including ‘National Champion,’ Central Florida, who gave up 55 points to those CATS!

Whether you’re ready to say it or not, the fact is that they do have the same Defense, and should prove to be better with some of the young & talented depth I’ve seen. Sidney Otiwu looks to be more than an adequate replacement for ILB, Lee Bennett and Travonte Easley/Brad Earnest are at least as strong as OLB, Kyle Williams. DE, Jalen Penn, was listed as a Starter & a good Player, but Guillen & Wysor probably played considerably more plays than he did. The rest of them are Returning Starters.

I'm not suggesting Memphis doesn't have a good offense. They do. I'm not suggesting they don't have speedy playmakers. That is also true.

You know as well as I do what a good defensive effort looks like. Win or lose. You were critical of the Citadel on Saturday, but after watching both teams play, Mercer looked worse. Much worse.

I'm not changing my opinion of Mercer after one game against a good Memphis squad. I still see them as a potential playoff team. If they play like that, though, they'll have a long season.

FUBeAR
September 7th, 2018, 10:15 AM
Citadel...after watching both teams play, Mercer looked worse.Well, we’ll have to disagree on that then. I’ll spare the Board the fine details, but there was an absolute chasm of difference between the 2. One looked like a well-coached college defense that was facing a truly outstanding O-Line & a host of skill players, whose individual & overall cumulative speed caused their internal football geometry calculators to return the answer of “Does not compute.” The other (from the parts of the game I saw) was a group that looked small & smooth-bodied (not a compliment), not particularly well-coached to apply college-level technique, and played with a lack of intensity against a Conference Rival.

Mercer’s D looked like a Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series car getting blown away by a Top-Fuel Dragster in an NHRA quarter mile run & CIT’s looked like an AMC Pacer being lapped in a Pro Cup race.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 7th, 2018, 02:54 PM
Tennessee 35 ETSU 14 (wish one of the top teams in the SoCon had a shoot at Tennessee).
Furman 28 Elon 17
The Citadel 27 Chatty 20
Wofford 35 VMI 7
Mercer 28 Jacksonville 13

Surprise of the week
Florida State 31 Samford 28
Chris Hatcher is a better game planner and in-game coach than Willie Taggart (seriously). I honestly don't know how in the world Taggart got the job at FSU when he had one good season at USF and did nothing at Oregon. FSU might have the seventh-best FBS head coach in the state of Florida.

FUBeAR
September 7th, 2018, 05:21 PM
If SU DOG can start a whole thread of oooey-gooey stuff about Sammy, then I’m gonna post this here.

As Mercer IS in the SoCon & in WEEK 2, they are honoring the 5 year Anniversary of their return to the gridiron & the young men who were on that 10 win NCAA record-setting Team, I’m claiming no thread drift with this post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEh4N177L2U
A couple of fine young men interviewed in the vid. Local kids, now young men, who were so proud to be “Day1” Players for their Hometown University. Both are graduated & married now. Neither were stars for the Bears, although 1 of them caught his first & only reception in the final game of his career & the other was a terror on Special Teams until he took 2 years away on his Mission. You won’t recognize their names or know them, but I’m proud to say that I do.

Reign of Terrier
September 8th, 2018, 06:38 PM
Hot take: VMI is really really bad.

Wofford has almost 500 yards of offense (including outgaining air raid VMI through the air) and has scored on all but one possession where we took a knee before the half.

ElCid
September 8th, 2018, 07:14 PM
The Citadel looking way better this week. They seem to have woken up finally.

chattownmocs
September 8th, 2018, 08:17 PM
Gotta respect Arth. Huesman is a good coach but he would have never done that and that may be why he doesnt win close games. What a win!

ElCid
September 8th, 2018, 08:20 PM
Gotta respect Arth. Huesman is a good coach but he would have never done that and that may be why he doesnt win close games. What a win!

Both teams had some bonehead mistakes. Never should have gotten to OT.

longtimemocfan
September 8th, 2018, 08:30 PM
Nope missed FG's and other mistakes. Huesman to my recollection never won a OT game.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 8th, 2018, 08:32 PM
Surprise of the week
Chris Hatcher is a better game planner and in-game coach than Willie Taggart (seriously). I honestly don't know how in the world Taggart got the job at FSU when he had one good season at USF and did nothing at Oregon. FSU might have the seventh-best FBS head coach in the state of Florida.

Ahem.

Go Bulldogs!

ElCid
September 8th, 2018, 09:02 PM
Nope missed FG's and other mistakes. Huesman to my recollection never won a OT game.

I still can't believe we fumbled after getting the 1st on the fake punt. WTF!!! We had you on your heels. Also the bonehead penalty after the blocked punt. That basically killed the momentum. You could see it on your next drive, our D kind of slunk for a bit.

kdinva
September 8th, 2018, 09:12 PM
Hot take: VMI is really really bad.

Wofford has almost 500 yards of offense (including outgaining air raid VMI through the air) and has scored on all but one possession where we took a knee before the half.

hats off to the Wofford offensive staff for putting in those pass plays. And, THEY EXECUTED.

VMI's DBs can't tackle. VMI's WRs can't break tackles......VMI QB Udinski too often settled for the 3 yard route....

ElCid
September 8th, 2018, 09:43 PM
Holy crap, Samford takes lead into half at FSU. Gee, can't wait to play them.

ElCid
September 8th, 2018, 11:10 PM
Tennessee 35 ETSU 14 (wish one of the top teams in the SoCon had a shoot at Tennessee).
Furman 28 Elon 17
The Citadel 27 Chatty 20
Wofford 35 VMI 7
Mercer 28 Jacksonville 13

Surprise of the week

Looking pretty smart still.

Reign of Terrier
September 8th, 2018, 11:25 PM
Wofford set a school record for offensive yardage with 670. We stopped playing the starters after the first or second possession in the second half. Joe Newman only played the first 20 minutes or so.

I know it's VMI but we still did pretty good even for that