wapiti
September 1st, 2018, 10:57 PM
Congrats.

JSUSoutherner
September 1st, 2018, 10:58 PM
Gonna be a good year for the Lions.

citdog
September 1st, 2018, 11:02 PM
Not shocked. UNA has a bright future in FCS. Going to be a LONG transition for the Lions.

UNAPride
September 1st, 2018, 11:46 PM
So excited!! What a ballgame! And in such a beautiful setting. Roar Lions!

Professor Chaos
September 1st, 2018, 11:53 PM
Congrats UNA! Winning in Cedar City is no easy task regardless of how good SUU is. Looking forward to seeing your guys in Fargo in a couple weeks. Looks like you'll be the toughest OOC test for my Bison this year.

Twentysix
September 2nd, 2018, 12:07 AM
Awesome!!!!! Congrats! Top 25 votes are likely coming your way after one game.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

UNAPride
September 2nd, 2018, 12:12 AM

That would be cool! Our other teams are doing pretty well in DI action, too. UNA's women's soccer team is 5-0 heading to Vandy tomorrow.

SU DOG
September 2nd, 2018, 12:21 AM
CONGRATS - proud for the Lions.

katss07
September 2nd, 2018, 12:42 AM
Congrats! No easy task beating SUU on the road.

Derby City Duke
September 2nd, 2018, 01:37 AM
Congratulations on winning your 1st game as an FCS program! Well done.

willsfc
September 2nd, 2018, 04:40 AM
Highlights! (UNA)

https://www.facebook.com/UNALions/videos/218805098988871/

JSUSoutherner
September 2nd, 2018, 06:28 AM

I would rank UNA. But I don't believe they are rankable this year.

WileECoyote06
September 2nd, 2018, 06:39 AM
Congrats! Welcome to DI!

-Historical note: We hosted UNA back in 2005 in the D2 playoffs. Great program and great fans!

ASU33
September 2nd, 2018, 08:22 AM
Congrats to The Lions! I'm sure Bobby Wallace is somewhere proud!

dgtw
September 2nd, 2018, 08:38 AM
Congrats to The Lions! I'm sure Bobby Wallace is somewhere proud!

Temple lost to Villanova, so I guess this balances it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AmsterBison
September 2nd, 2018, 08:46 AM

I think you can rank them - NDSU was ranked during transition.

BTW, I watched that last drive and the SUU announcers were absolutely melting down because of all the penalty calls, and they might have had a point on one or two of them.

Lehigh'98
September 2nd, 2018, 09:23 AM
Congrats on the very nice win UNA!

Lion1983
September 2nd, 2018, 09:30 AM
I think you can rank them - NDSU was ranked during transition.

BTW, I watched that last drive and the SUU announcers were absolutely melting down because of all the penalty calls, and they might have had a point on one or two of them.

They did, the refs were terrible the whole game. Most of the game went against UNA, and in the final drive they called (what looked like to me) a touchdown, out of bounds for UNA. Then the flags started going against SUU. Both teams played well and could have went either way.

Lion1983
September 2nd, 2018, 09:31 AM
By the way, I dont think a week 1 win against a non ranked team constitutes a ranking.

UpstateBison
September 2nd, 2018, 10:43 AM
I think SUU was ranked 23 by AGS in the preseason poll. Nice win!

cx500d
September 2nd, 2018, 11:02 AM
Looking impressive out the chute!

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 2nd, 2018, 11:04 AM
Good win for the Lions.

Looking forward to seeing how they stack up against the Bison.

Lion1983
September 2nd, 2018, 11:17 AM
Good win for the Lions.

Looking forward to seeing how they stack up against the Bison.

I just want to see if we can beat A&M next Saturday....
Hopefully we have put this W behind us and dont go to A&M thinking we are better than we are.

UNAPride
September 2nd, 2018, 12:39 PM
UNA was named FCS Team of the Week!!

FCS team of the week: North Alabama wins rousing debut (http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20180902100440899029904&ref=rec&tm=&src=FCS)

cx500d
September 2nd, 2018, 12:40 PM
I just want to see if we can beat A&M next Saturday....
Hopefully we have put this W behind us and dont go to A&M thinking we are better than we are.
Which a&m?

UNAPride
September 2nd, 2018, 12:42 PM
Which a&m?

UNA plays Alabama A&M this Saturday for the first time since 1997.

UNA and AL A&M are only about an hour apart. Will be UNA's closest game to Florence since that last game 20 years ago.

The Lions lead the series 18-3-1.

Twentysix
September 2nd, 2018, 02:04 PM
Oh rip, forgot that they are unrankable.

Gil Dobie
September 2nd, 2018, 02:07 PM
Welcome to FCS!

Twentysix
September 2nd, 2018, 02:08 PM
By the way, I dont think a week 1 win against a non ranked team constitutes a ranking.You will quickly learn that we value our poll over all others. And there is a reason why, it will become painfully obvious if you stick around the whole year.

Gil Dobie
September 3rd, 2018, 09:54 AM
I substituted Alabama St in my poll this week for a North Alabama vote. I think you belong.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 3rd, 2018, 10:55 AM
I substituted Alabama St in my poll this week for a North Alabama vote. I think you belong.

ASU beat D2 Tuskegee 26-20 and they should get votes.....xeyebrowx

They have Kennesaw and then Auburn. If they beat KSU then I will definitely give them a slot in my poll.

Gil Dobie
September 3rd, 2018, 10:57 AM
ASU beat D2 Tuskegee 26-20 and they should get votes.....xeyebrowx

They have Kennesaw and then Auburn. If they beat KSU then I will definitely give them a slot in my poll.

Then I'll have to switch to Alabama A&M. :)

If North Alabama keeps winning, or plays NDSU tough.

Lion1983
September 3rd, 2018, 11:04 AM

Just swap JSU and UNA. We are who they want to be anyway......lol

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 3rd, 2018, 11:07 AM

I don't know much about ASU or A & M but A & T looked pretty good yesterday and I liked the way Prairie View played. They are a much better team (PV) then the one that was in Fargo a few years ago. They have Sam Houston on Saturday and I will be rooting for them to beat Sammy.

Last year PV rushed for almost 300 yards on Sammy, IIRC, and they should run it right down Sammy's throat this year. Lost 31-44 last year to SHSU.

SHSU has a poor run defense....xlolx....NDSU almost hit 500 yards against them in the playoffs last year....PV should be able to run on them like they did last year.

Tuna85
September 3rd, 2018, 12:06 PM
Just swap JSU and UNA. We are who they want to be anyway......lol

Hey, aren't we s'posed to play nice with JSU....this year?

Tuna85
September 3rd, 2018, 12:10 PM

...ah, this explains yore post in the 9/15/2018 game day thread. We were the better team against SUU, but we may have caught a break toward the end to win.

Lion1983
September 3rd, 2018, 01:38 PM
Hey, aren't we s'posed to play nice with JSU....this year?

I'm tired, I'm not nice when I'm tired.....

Lion1983
September 3rd, 2018, 01:39 PM
I'm just trying to get the younger JSU fans that dont know about the rivalry fired up about it. They will soon find out.

Tuna85
September 3rd, 2018, 01:55 PM
I'm just trying to get the younger JSU fans that dont know about the rivalry fired up about it. They will soon find out.

As you know, people take their football pretty seriously in this state. I think several old rivalries are fixin' to light up. I can see much future wailin' and gnashing of teeth between Big South, SoCon, and OVC out of conference natural rivalries. Let's light this fire!

ASU33
September 3rd, 2018, 02:59 PM

I appreciate the love but we haven't done anything to warrant being in anyone's Top 25. Were still young and coming off of a 5-6 season a year ago.

Mike296
September 3rd, 2018, 03:06 PM
I’d love for you guys to come up to Clarksville for a game, that’d be fun with our sudden rise this past year.

UNAPride
September 3rd, 2018, 03:38 PM

Others are saying they are ranking us in the AGS poll?

Also, UNA is RV in this week's STATS FCS Top 25 Poll!!

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/polls.asp?div=fcs

Tuna85
September 3rd, 2018, 05:39 PM
I’d love for you guys to come up to Clarksville for a game, that’d be fun with our sudden rise this past year.

I'd like that too! Nice road trip and y'all could return the favor. Good food and music down this way with a healthy dose of football. Would be a hard weekend to miss!

Catatonic
September 3rd, 2018, 05:57 PM
Others are saying they are ranking us in the AGS pollhttp://www.fcs.football/cfb/polls.asp?div=fcs.

UNA wasn’t on the AGS ballot. There is no space for a write in.

kperk014
September 3rd, 2018, 06:30 PM

If I remember correctly, the last time we played Peay was 1978 (I think). We started the season 5-0 after blowing out ETSU to christen their new dome. UNA's Curtis Sirmones was one of the best running backs in the nation at any level. After escaping the burning ship in Tallahassee, the Florida High School player of the year landed at UNA. At a muscular 6-2 198 with 4.3 speed, Simones immediately set out rewriting UNA and GSC record books averaging over 9 yards a carry. He led UNA to their best start ever at 5-0 and they broke into the top 20 and were leading the nation in rushing at almost 500 yards per game.

Peay was to be the Homecoming Victim for the Lions. Unfortunately Sirmones suffered a hip pointer the game before and the wheels came off of the offense and Peay won 13-7 (I think) and UNA didn't win another game that season. Remarkably, the Lions pulled the same feat the next season going 5-0 and then 0 and 5 before breaking through in 1980 for their first appearance in the playoffs.

If scheduling could be done to get teams in relatively close proximity together, fan interest would increase sharply. Familiarity breeds contempt.... and damn good football!

Mike296
September 3rd, 2018, 06:32 PM
If I remember correctly, the last time we played Peay was 1978 (I think). We started the season 5-0 after blowing out ETSU to christen their new dome. UNA's Curtis Sirmones was one of the best running backs in the nation at any level. After escaping the burning ship in Tallahassee, the Florida High School player of the year landed at UNA. At a muscular 6-2 198 with 4.3 speed, Simones immediately set out rewriting UNA and GSC record books averaging over 9 yards a carry. He led UNA to their best start ever at 5-0 and they broke into the top 20 and were leading the nation in rushing at almost 500 yards per game. Peay was to be the Homecoming Victim for the Lions. Unfortunately Sirmones suffered a hip pointer the game before and the wheels came off of the offense and Peay won 13-7 (I think) and UNA didn't win another game.

If scheduling could be done to get teams in relatively close proximity together, fan interest would increase sharply. Familiarity breeds contempt.... and damn good football!

I think a Neutral Site game between us would be the easiest way around this. Somewhere in the middle between both of us would be ideal.

kperk014
September 3rd, 2018, 06:36 PM
Congrats! Welcome to DI!

-Historical note: We hosted UNA back in 2005 in the D2 playoffs. Great program and great fans!

I had to listen on the radio but from what I heard, that was one more physical game with both teams laying it on the line!

Lion1983
September 3rd, 2018, 07:57 PM
I think a Neutral Site game between us would be the easiest way around this. Somewhere in the middle between both of us would be ideal.

Somewhere between would be Nashville? I guess? Basically a home game for yall.

Mike296
September 3rd, 2018, 07:58 PM
Somewhere between would be Nashville? I guess? Basically a home game for yall.

I was thinking Huntsville then I realized they don’t have a stadium that would fit all the fans that would come to a game like this as far as I’m aware.

Lion1983
September 3rd, 2018, 10:02 PM
I was thinking Huntsville then I realized they don’t have a stadium that would fit all the fans that would come to a game like this as far as I’m aware.

I would rather go to Nashville.....

Side note, a couple and their 4 year old son from Clarksville stopped by my station today so he could look at the firetruck. They have family in Florence and was visiting. The Husband was wearing a Let's Go Peay shirt...

ASU33
September 4th, 2018, 07:46 AM

Ummmm Alabama A&Ms stadium? How many fans would you anticipate for this matchup?

dgtw
September 4th, 2018, 07:52 AM
Neutral site games suck. Do home/home.

Southern Bison
September 4th, 2018, 07:52 AM
I would rather go to Nashville.....

Side note, a couple and their 4 year old son from Clarksville stopped by my station today so he could look at the firetruck. They have family in Florence and was visiting. The Husband was wearing a Let's Go Peay shirt...Welcome to the AGS department...Superman7515, Elonfirefighter, & myself all rode or still ride the BRTs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Mike296
September 4th, 2018, 08:24 AM
Ummmm Alabama A&Ms stadium? How many fans would you anticipate for this matchup?

I actually forgot about A&M being in Huntsville lol

Lion1983
September 4th, 2018, 09:03 AM
I dont think A&M would want UNA using their place for a Neutral site game. I know it ain't Bama St and A&M rivalry, but it used to be kinda heated.

Lion1983
September 4th, 2018, 09:05 AM
Welcome to the AGS department...Superman7515, Elonfirefighter, & myself all rode or still ride the BRTs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks, and thank yall for your service and dedication.

ASU33
September 4th, 2018, 09:15 AM
I dont think A&M would want UNA using their place for a Neutral site game. I know it ain't Bama St and A&M rivalry, but it used to be kinda heated.

Very true. Milton-Frank is in Huntsville as well and holds I think right at about 19,000. I think UNA/AP would be better as a home and home.

Tuna85
September 4th, 2018, 06:13 PM
As you know, people take their football pretty seriously in this state. I think several old rivalries are fixin' to light up. I can see much future wailin' and gnashing of teeth between Big South, SoCon, and OVC out of conference natural rivalries. Let's light this fire!

Yep, I'm getting old. How could I leave out the SWAC! We've already played Alabama State in volleyball and will be playing Alabama A&M in football this Saturday. Don't know how many states host four FCS conferences in football but in 2019 Alabama will have Big South, OVC, SoCon, and SWAC. Should be no problem scheduling OOC. Don't think I've left anyone else out.

ASU33
September 4th, 2018, 07:08 PM
Yep, I'm getting old. How could I leave out the SWAC! We've already played Alabama State in volleyball and will be playing Alabama A&M in football this Saturday. Don't know how many states host four FCS conferences in football but in 2019 Alabama will have Big South, OVC, SoCon, and SWAC. Should be no problem scheduling OOC. Don't think I've left anyone else out.

Should make for a lot of fun!

Tuna85
September 4th, 2018, 08:28 PM
Should make for a lot of fun!

Yep, I agree. Some good rivalries would fire up fan bases and fill up stadiums. Nothing like a stadium that's rocking.

UNAPride
September 4th, 2018, 08:40 PM
Very true. Milton-Frank is in Huntsville as well and holds I think right at about 19,000. I think UNA/AP would be better as a home and home.

When I was at UNA in the early 90's, we always played A&M at Milton-Frank. I didn't even know they had an on-campus stadium until this year! lol

Lion1983
September 4th, 2018, 08:53 PM
When I was at UNA in the early 90's, we always played A&M at Milton-Frank. I didn't even know they had an on-campus stadium until this year! lol

They didn't back then.

UNAPride
September 4th, 2018, 08:55 PM
They didn't back then.

Then, there ya go! lol

I see that their stadium opened in '96.

ASU33
September 4th, 2018, 08:56 PM

Louis Crews wasn't built until 1996.

Bisonoline
September 4th, 2018, 08:58 PM

Follow them close I see. xlolx

ASU33
September 4th, 2018, 08:59 PM
Yep, I agree. Some good rivalries would fire up fan bases and fill up stadiums. Nothing like a stadium that's rocking.

I agree. We've played Jax State a few years recently and we've been trying to get something with Samford for the past few years but we haven't been successful. Hopefully UNA will roll onto our schedule soon.

UNAPride
September 4th, 2018, 09:11 PM
Follow them close I see. xlolx

UNA hasn't played AL A&M in football since 1997. So, no. lol

UNAPride
September 4th, 2018, 09:12 PM
I agree. We've played Jax State a few years recently and we've been trying to get something with Samford for the past few years but we haven't been successful. Hopefully UNA will roll onto our schedule soon.

Would be awesome! UNA spent years traveling all over the south for GSC games. Heck, this year went out to Utah, going up to ND, etc. I'm sure they'd enjoy more in-state games soon!

kperk014
September 4th, 2018, 10:45 PM

Every time I go to Georgia or Dothan I take I-85 so I can admire the Hornets' stadium.

ASU33
September 4th, 2018, 11:11 PM
Every time I go to Georgia or Dothan I take I-85 so I can admire the Hornets' stadium.

Thanks man!