PDA

View Full Version : Most Embarrassing Loss in FCS History

Penguin Nation
September 1st, 2018, 07:10 PM
Was there ever a loss more humiliating in FCS history than Scumbag U losing to non-scholly Butler (2017 6-5/4-4) in their own house? I seriously can't think of one.

TheRevSFA
September 1st, 2018, 07:26 PM
I feel you guys deserve this, seeing as how you had a rapist on your sidelines last year.

Congrats

katss07
September 1st, 2018, 07:30 PM
Good for Butler. Didn’t watch this but it proves they (along with other non scholly schools) can hang around. Glad to see the Bulldogs pull this one off. Sound like it was a fun ending!

Lehigh'98
September 1st, 2018, 07:31 PM
Congrats Pioneer!! Dominating the MVFC.

Yote 53
September 1st, 2018, 07:34 PM
Nice to see karma coming around.

Penguin Nation
September 1st, 2018, 07:45 PM
I feel you guys deserve this, seeing as how you had a rapist on your sidelines last year.

Congrats

The gang rapist played last year as well as today....and they deserve this and so much more. WVU is going to feast on them next week.

VandalBasher
September 1st, 2018, 07:46 PM
I guess I am unaware of the disdain for YSU. What's up?

Penguin Nation
September 1st, 2018, 07:47 PM
I guess I am unaware of the disdain for YSU. What's up?

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?193669-Win-at-all-costs-Recruiting-Rapists&highlight=recruiting+rapists

bonarae
September 1st, 2018, 07:56 PM
What's worse.... a scandalous team losing to to a non-scholarship team (e.g. YSU losing to Butler) or a seldom-tested squad (e.g. some HBCUs and PFL teams) losing to a NAIA, D-II or non-scholarship team?

CP, while they were ranked, losing to Yale a few years back was at the same level as the YSU-Butler game.

JacksFan40
September 1st, 2018, 08:26 PM
What's worse.... a scandalous team losing to to a non-scholarship team (e.g. YSU losing to Butler) or a seldom-tested squad (e.g. some HBCUs and PFL teams) losing to a NAIA, D-II or non-scholarship team?

CP, while they were ranked, losing to Yale a few years back was at the same level as the YSU-Butler game.
I’d say Yale is better than Butler by quite a bit.
Still a hilarious loss for Pelini to take.

Sycamore62
September 1st, 2018, 08:29 PM
We lost to an NAIA school during the time our former women’s Bball coach AD was trying to drop the football program

mvfcfan
September 1st, 2018, 08:34 PM
I think the Quincy loss was worse in 2009. We were up 17-0 at the half and allowed them to come back. Then we get to OT and the ball was hiked over our QB's head and we lost 26-20. I also think Quincy only won 3 games the season they beat us.

But then later in the season we beat Western Illinois to snap the nations longest losing streak. So that had to of been pretty embarrassing for WIU too, especially since a D2 school in their backyard was able to beat us.

Go...gate
September 1st, 2018, 09:06 PM
Princeton needs to look out in two weeks.

Penguin Nation
September 1st, 2018, 10:17 PM
I think the Quincy loss was worse in 2009. We were up 17-0 at the half and allowed them to come back. Then we get to OT and the ball was hiked over our QB's head and we lost 26-20. I also think Quincy only won 3 games the season they beat us.

But then later in the season we beat Western Illinois to snap the nations longest losing streak. So that had to of been pretty embarrassing for WIU too, especially since a D2 school in their backyard was able to beat us.

IMO....Scumbag U's loss is worse. Quincy is D2 and prolly has 36 schollies....Butler has zero. Also, Scumbag U was in the Natty just 2 years ago.

JSUSoutherner
September 1st, 2018, 10:19 PM

Who TF is Quincy?

Schism55
September 1st, 2018, 10:32 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28651&stc=1

ST_Lawson
September 1st, 2018, 10:54 PM
Who TF is Quincy?

Private Catholic DII school in Quincy, IL (about an hour from Macomb/WIU, right on the Mississippi River).
I generally hear more about QU on my local TV stations than I do about WIU...mostly because our TV stations come from Quincy/Hannibal.

They beat INSU back in '09 en route to a 4-7 schedule that year. They played one other game against an FCS, losing 72-3 to SEMO. This was their schedule that year: https://quhawks.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=120&path=football

(https://quhawks.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=120&path=football)They opened this season playing Indiana State as well, but the Sycamores handed them a 49-0 crushing, which could possibly be INSU's only win this year.

frozennorth
September 1st, 2018, 11:46 PM
I'd just like to remind everyone that several scholarship FCS schools have lost to d3 and Naia schools

Bisonoline
September 1st, 2018, 11:50 PM
Was there ever a loss more humiliating in FCS history than Scumbag U losing to non-scholly Butler (2017 6-5/4-4) in their own house? I seriously can't think of one.

AR losing to the Citadel.

ElCid
September 1st, 2018, 11:56 PM
AR losing to the Citadel.

Except Arkansas was not FCS. Different framework going on there.

ElCid
September 2nd, 2018, 12:00 AM
We lost to Wofford in 1991 when they were Div II, but I guess that wasn't as bad. They did make the Div II playoffs.xrotatehx We also lost to Div II Presbyterian in 1979 before we dropped down to IAA so we were technically still IA......still not as bad as losing to Butler though. Yikes!

Edit, I will add that PC also beat Furman in 1979 so they were pretty good that year.

Go...gate
September 2nd, 2018, 01:49 AM
I'd just like to remind everyone that several scholarship FCS schools have lost to d3 and Naia schools

They have, indeed. No one at YSU should be jumping off any buildings.

Go Green
September 2nd, 2018, 07:20 AM
Columbia's loss to then D-III Villanova to extend Streak I is probably the worst Ivy loss I can remember.

https://www.nytimes.com/1986/11/02/sports/college-football-columbia-up-by-14-at-halftime-is-beaten-again.html

Penguin Nation
September 2nd, 2018, 07:28 AM

Scumbag U was in the Natty 2 years ago, is a full scholly FCS program, is in the "SEC of the FCS", has football "legends" xlolx Tressel and Pelini, was a 37 point favorite, and was the "Team of the 90's"

...so not just any scholarship FCS program.

IMO, nonscholly FCS = D3.

Which specific losses are worse than Scumbag U's loss?

CockyGeek
September 2nd, 2018, 07:37 AM
AR losing to the Citadel.Can't go anywhere without seeing Jack Crowe or a reference to him nowadays.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

SCPALADIN
September 2nd, 2018, 08:07 AM
We lost to Newberry in 1985 and recovered to make the I-AA championship game.

Laker
September 2nd, 2018, 08:27 AM

I remember this one: Defending NAIA champ Sioux Falls Cougars beat UND 28-13 back in 2009.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/recap?gameId=292900155

dgtw
September 2nd, 2018, 08:36 AM
Can't go anywhere without seeing Jack Crowe or a reference to him nowadays.

If we had lost to Georgia State (their second ever game) the week after beating Ole Miss, I would have mentioned it. The game went into OT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CockyGeek
September 2nd, 2018, 08:37 AM
If we had lost to Georgia State (their second ever game) the week after beating Ole Miss, I would have mentioned it. The game went into OT.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkOnly because we didn't kick a field goal in field goal range with time outs left. I will never understand that.

AmsterBison
September 2nd, 2018, 09:03 AM
I'm never that surprised when transfer-heavy schools look crappy early in the year. Hard to tell from YSU's roster page what they've got going on in Youngstown though since they only list HS info. I do see that they've got about 50 guys whose major is one of the following though (Undecided, General Studies, Exercise Science).

DFW HOYA
September 2nd, 2018, 09:06 AM
IMO, nonscholly FCS = D3.

Hmmm...so, if Butler gave a grant to the same caliber of players they have that makes them a cut above, but if they get a check from the financial aid office they're D-III?

ElCid
September 2nd, 2018, 09:16 AM
Just to put it in some sort of objective framework, YSU was ranked at #92 for all College in Massey preseason. Butler was ranked in preseason at #354...below many Div II schools, Div II schools and even NAIA schools. Doesn't mean much as it is only preseason and the different divisions are never well connected anyway, but it is the only product that compares them all.

I have been searching for other upsets but haven't found another FCS loss on par with it. Probably out there. Lots of DIV II wins back in the 80s over IA teams, but can't find list of Div II, III wins over FCS.

You have to first determine what the criteria is. Is losing to another FCS team with no scholarships as bad as losing to a good Div II with scholies? Or is simply an objective criteria like a Massey ranking the way to go? Considering YSU's high current ranking may also need to be included.

ETSUfan1
September 2nd, 2018, 09:25 AM
ETSU lost to Maryville and Emory & Henry our first year back. That said, our entire team was freshmen.

ElCid
September 2nd, 2018, 09:27 AM
ETSU lost to Maryville and Emory & Henry our first year back. That said, our entire team was freshmen.

That don't count.xthumbsupx

Redbird 4th & short
September 2nd, 2018, 09:27 AM
YSU wasn't just runner up in Natty in 2016. In 2017, they played one fo the toughest SOS's in FCS and were very competitive against a number of top 5 to 20 teams.

Game 1 .. lost 28-21 to 5-7 Pitt
Game 2 .. won 30-0 over Robert Morris
Game 3 .. destroyed Central CT ST 59-9 .. a team UNH barely beat in playoffs with CCSU QB out
Game 4 .. beat top 5 SDSU team by 12, which was only team to beat NDSU
Game 6 .. lost to a very good USD team (8-5) by 3 on road when they were top 5 in FCS and still healthy. They were very hot team when YSU played them.
Game 7 .. lost to NDSU (14-1) at home but in OT by 3
Game 8 .. lost to a very tough UNI (9-4) on road by 5
Game 9 .. lost 35-0 to my ISUr .. i said at time, we destroyed them because of how beat up they were from their first 8 games; but thi was their only bad game of year.

So they finished 6-5 with 4 very high quality losses and just one bad loss; rest of their easier wins were large margins .. arguably a playoff resume if ever a 6-5 team deserved consideration. But they were a team that lost their swagger from the MVFC early season grind.

That and 2 bucks will get you same cup of coffee .. but this was a very tough team in 2017, that may have lacked the depth to survive the grind .. but still very tough team just 1 year ago.

Maybe Pelini just has them wired too tight .. so hard to explain Butler loss any other way.

ElCid
September 2nd, 2018, 09:43 AM
YSU wasn't just runner up in Natty in 2016. In 2017, they played one fo the toughest SOS's in FCS and were very competitive against a number of top 5 to 20 teams.

Game 1 .. lost 28-21 to 5-7 Pitt
Game 2 .. won 30-0 over Robert Morris
Game 3 .. destroyed Central CT ST 59-9 .. a team UNH barely beat in playoffs with CCSU QB out
Game 4 .. beat top 5 SDSU team by 12, which was only team to beat NDSU
Game 6 .. lost to a very good USD team (8-5) by 3 on road when they were top 5 in FCS and still healthy. They were very hot team when YSU played them.
Game 7 .. lost to NDSU (14-1) at home but in OT by 3
Game 8 .. lost to a very tough UNI (9-4) on road by 5
Game 9 .. lost 35-0 to my ISUr .. i said at time, we destroyed them because of how beat up they were from their first 8 games; but thi was their only bad game of year.

So they finished 6-5 with 4 very high quality losses and just one bad loss; rest of their easier wins were large margins .. arguably a playoff resume if ever a 6-5 team deserved consideration. But they were a team that lost their swagger from the MVFC early season grind.

That and 2 bucks will get you same cup of coffee .. but this was a very tough team in 2017, that may have lacked the depth to survive the grind .. but still very tough team just 1 year ago.

Maybe Pelini just has them wired too tight .. so hard to explain Butler loss any other way.

I think it is obvious that they simply blew off Butler and got caught. It happens. I lay this one at the coaches feet entirely.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 2nd, 2018, 09:51 AM
I think it is obvious that they simply blew off Butler and got caught. It happens. I lay this one at the coaches feet entirely.

This here.

Bad loss and no other way to sugarcoat it.

Yote 53
September 2nd, 2018, 10:10 AM
South Dakota State losing to non-scholarship D3 Wisconsin-LaCrosse was pretty bad.

ElCid
September 2nd, 2018, 10:11 AM
This here.

Bad loss and no other way to sugarcoat it.

But I think they have a little history of doing this, so it is even worse that they can't shake it. Didn't it take OT for them to beat Robert Morris a few ago?

Penguin Nation
September 2nd, 2018, 10:39 AM
But I think they have a little history of doing this, so it is even worse that they can't shake it. Didn't it take OT for them to beat Robert Morris a few ago?

Yes. That was Pelini's first season at Scumbag U. RMU led all game but lost in OT.

http://ysusports.com/sports/fball/2015-16/boxscores/20150912_repd.xml

Penguin Nation
September 2nd, 2018, 10:50 AM
Just to put it in some sort of objective framework, YSU was ranked at #92 for all College in Massey preseason. Butler was ranked in preseason at #354...below many Div II schools, Div II schools and even NAIA schools. Doesn't mean much as it is only preseason and the different divisions are never well connected anyway, but it is the only product that compares them all.

I have been searching for other upsets but haven't found another FCS loss on par with it. Probably out there. Lots of DIV II wins back in the 80s over IA teams, but can't find list of Div II, III wins over FCS.

You have to first determine what the criteria is. Is losing to another FCS team with no scholarships as bad as losing to a good Div II with scholies? Or is simply an objective criteria like a Massey ranking the way to go? Considering YSU's high current ranking may also need to be included.

This is an excellent analysis.

Is losing to another FCS team with no scholarships as bad as losing to a good Div II with scholies?

Worse...much worse IMO....D2 can give over half the scholies FCS can....D3 and non-scholies give zero.

Objective criteria such as Massey don't necessarily take into account immeasurable variables such school history, etc...but Massey would be probably the best objective way to measure a bad (or in this case epic) loss.

Laker
September 2nd, 2018, 10:53 AM
South Dakota State losing to non-scholarship D3 Wisconsin-LaCrosse was pretty bad.

I listened to that game on my way home from a Mav game at Northwest Missouri. Brooking HS had played in a monsoon the night before- then the next day it was a mud bowl. The WIAC is a really tough league- especially since Wisconsin has no D2 or FCS football teams.

Pards Rule
September 2nd, 2018, 11:58 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28651&stc=1

I watched him! Came on Friday nights at 10PM after an hour of Rockford Files (yes!) on NBC

Redbird 4th & short
September 2nd, 2018, 01:00 PM
This is an excellent analysis.

Is losing to another FCS team with no scholarships as bad as losing to a good Div II with scholies?

Worse...much worse IMO....D2 can give over half the scholies FCS can....D3 and non-scholies give zero.

Objective criteria such as Massey don't necessarily take into account immeasurable variables such school history, etc...but Massey would be probably the best objective way to measure a bad (or in this case epic) loss.

I think comparing Pioneer to D-II is fair, but not D-III .. although I'm sure the bottom third of Pioneer would struggle a lot (and lose some games) against the top of D-III.

But some tweener D-I kids just want to play D-I and get a good education .. they do have grants, etc. D-II probably offers a lot of partials similar to Pioneer offers grants.

That said, we beat Butler 45-0 last year .. total yards were 500+ to like 30. They had zero rush yards, 1st downs were like 31 to 3 .. one of them being by penalty. And we got off to slow start .. score was 0-0 after Q1.

YSU being a run oriented team that prides itself on defense usually .. that is what stuns me most. Usually when you can run the ball and play defense, upset like this will almost never happen.

But I do not believe Massey is very good at cross divisional ranking .. no way there are 350 college football teams better than Butler. There are 130 FBS, 120, FCS .. 250 total teams, and they went 6-5 last year. They lost to San Diego by 21 at their place.

I'm think Pelini just didn't have this team ready mentally. His post game was so all over the place .. though give him credit for saying they simply got outplayed and didn't deserve to win, and kept his cool on stand. But he was all over the place trying to explain what all went wrong.

It was a fluke .. but Pelini needs to own this and figure why his team wasn't ready at all. Not sure what he is like in practice with his players, but have to wonder if he has them wound too tight ... reflection of his leadership style ??

Penguin Nation
September 2nd, 2018, 01:28 PM
I think comparing Pioneer to D-II is fair, but not D-III .. although I'm sure the bottom third of Pioneer would struggle a lot (and lose some games) against the top of D-III.

But some tweener D-I kids just want to play D-I and get a good education .. they do have grants, etc. D-II probably offers a lot of partials similar to Pioneer offers grants.

That said, we beat Butler 45-0 last year .. total yards were 500+ to like 30. They had zero rush yards, 1st downs were like 31 to 3 .. one of them being by penalty. And we got off to slow start .. score was 0-0 after Q1.

YSU being a run oriented team that prides itself on defense usually .. that is what stuns me most. Usually when you can run the ball and play defense, upset like this will almost never happen.

But I do not believe Massey is very good at cross divisional ranking .. no way there are 350 college football teams better than Butler. There are 130 FBS, 120, FCS .. 250 total teams, and they went 6-5 last year. They lost to San Diego by 21 at their place.

I'm think Pelini just didn't have this team ready mentally. His post game was so all over the place .. though give him credit for saying they simply got outplayed and didn't deserve to win, and kept his cool on stand. But he was all over the place trying to explain what all went wrong.

It was a fluke .. but Pelini needs to own this and figure why his team wasn't ready at all. Not sure what he is like in practice with his players, but have to wonder if he has them wound too tight ... reflection of his leadership style ??

My suspicion is the Butler win is due to a combination of factors, including a well coached and determined Butler team. Pelini is mentally erratic, a poor recruiter, and the team has many injuries. If he hasn't mastered management of players/coaches and pre-game preparation by now...he never will. As was noted earlier...in Pelini's first season he barely beat RMU (which was an early warning sign of a looming losing season)...so all of that together I can't write it off as a fluke..a fluke would be a field goal attempt getting deflected by a flying hawk or something....ans even then why was the game only a FG away. Pelini could probably make a decent DC....this being his fourth season....it's safe to say he's not FCS HC material.

Interesting that Butler had more TOP and more first downs than the run-oriented Scumbag U. It wasn't one bad play gone wrong. Butler was simply the better team.

katss07
September 2nd, 2018, 03:07 PM
Its pretty lame to say that the lower level FCS Conferences (Pioneer, NEC, maybe Patriot) teams would be beaten by D2 and D3 teams. Yes, of course, there are some really bad teams, but generalizing non scholly schools and saying they are basically D2 teams is disrespectful. Look at San Diego, class of the Pioneer, great program, a few playoff wins. They have FCS level talent. You’re telling me Jonah Hodges and the Oline from a few years ago is on par with a DIVISION THREE school? You’re dead wrong.

And San Diego isn’t the only team from a non scholly conferencel. Dayton went undefeated a few years ago. The Patriot has long been a fine FCS conference and only began offering scholarships very recently. The point is these are conferences that still have FCS level talent. Disregarding them is stupid. They are out there competing for the same playoff spot that could go to an MVFC or CAA team instead. And while the talent isn’t as good, non schollys can still win games at this level. They are still in one of the 11 conferences that get playoff spots. And if you underestimate them like YSU did, they’ll bite you in the ass. They are FCS teams too. Regardless, this was a winnable game for YSU. Bad look for their resume. I wouldn’t want to a player at Pelini’s practice on Monday!

Edit: Don’t get me wrong. I think the bottom half of the Pio League would struggle with most D2 teams. But you can’t just disregard them.

Paladin1aa
September 2nd, 2018, 05:20 PM
This season will bear out how correct I am that Bozo has been a poor recruiter. I had expected that it would show immediately this year when he ran out of Wolfords recruits and was left with what he had spent years recruiting. But I expected that to show vs other FCS scholly teams. Losing to a non-scholly team should be an eye opener. The cheerleader site is going crazy. What lies ahead are simply more losses.

The MVFC schedule should be another eye opener.

Penguin Nation
September 2nd, 2018, 05:50 PM
This season will bear out how correct I am that Bozo has been a poor recruiter. I had expected that it would show immediately this year when he ran out of Wolfords recruits and was left with what he had spent years recruiting. But I expected that to show vs other FCS scholly teams. Losing to a non-scholly team should be an eye opener. The cheerleader site is going crazy. What lies ahead are simply more losses.

The cheerleader site lol....where those who cheer for a rapist made predictions of an 8-3 season with playoffs and all wanted the rapist recruiter to have a contract extension. Heacock never embarrassed Scumbag U like this. They'll be lucky to see 4 wins this year.

Bisonoline
September 2nd, 2018, 08:53 PM

Is the questionable recruit from last year still on the team? If so is he getting any playing time.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 2nd, 2018, 09:14 PM

YSU will win games this year.

Paladin1aa
September 2nd, 2018, 09:22 PM
The rapist was listed in the game notes as being a CO-starter at DE. He played a lot.

yep, I would expect YSU to wn some games. Valpo and ISUb come to mind.

Bison Fan in NW MN
September 2nd, 2018, 09:24 PM
The rapist was listed in the game notes as being a CO-starter at DE. He played a lot.

yep, I would expect YSU to wn some games. Valpo and ISUb come to mind.

YSU will win multiple Valley games and probably will beat upper half teams.

katss07
September 2nd, 2018, 10:58 PM
YSU will win multiple Valley games and probably will beat upper half teams.
Youngstown still has a decent chance to make noise. If they clean it up, I see no reason why they shouldn’t make a run at playoffs. Valpo, ISUb, SIU, South Dakota are all definitely winnable games. Pull off an upset or two, Penguins will be right there.

The Yo Show
September 3rd, 2018, 01:48 AM
I know there is some truth to not being able to read an entire season from one game, especially the first game... but from what I saw, this season looks to be a tough one for the penguins. Sure, maybe they steal one upset of a valley team or something, but don't see that happening frankly.