PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite upsets of when an FCS team beat a FBS team?

Zoo
March 17th, 2007, 06:12 PM
I'd have to say:

UNH - Northwestern (2006)
North Dakota State - Ball State (2006)
Southern Illinois - Indiana (2006)
Richmond - Duke (2006)

What are yours?

FargoBison
March 17th, 2007, 06:14 PM
I'd have to say:

UNH - Northwestern (2006)
North Dakota State - Ball State (2006)
Southern Illinois - Indiana (2006)
Richmond - Duke (2006)

What are yours?

UNH-Northwestern
UCD-Stanford
NDSU-Ball State
SIU-Indiana

ncguitarplyr
March 17th, 2007, 06:40 PM
back when they would schedule us

app > wake forest

Mountain Panther
March 17th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Beating Kansas State three times in the 1980s.

Eyes of Old Main
March 17th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Wofford's best was Louisiana-Monroe in 2000, but that's not that impressive. Maybe we can remedy that with our game against NC State this coming year.

As for others, Furman over North Carolina was pretty big a few years ago.

igo4uni
March 17th, 2007, 09:31 PM

Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. C
March 17th, 2007, 09:31 PM
My favorite is The Citadel beating Arkansas in 1992 and Jack Crowe being fired as Arkansas' coach the very next day.

For games I've attended in person, the Appalachian State 1999 game at Auburn was pretty interesting interesting, even though the Mountaineers lost 22-15 on a bomb in the final seconds. It was something seeing a I-AA team absolutely dominate total yardage and almost everything other than the scoreboard in one of the SEC meccas.

Eyes of Old Main
March 17th, 2007, 10:16 PM
My favorite is The Citadel beating Arkansas in 1992 and Jack Crowe being fired as Arkansas' coach the very next day.

I forgot about that one. That was good.

NFLCB2
March 17th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Maine vs. Miss st

AZGrizFan
March 17th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Every time the Griz wax Idaho. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

poly51
March 18th, 2007, 12:01 AM
Cal Poly over San Diego State 2006
Cal Poly over University of Texas El Paso 2003
Cal Poly over New Mexico State in overtime 1997

3 FBS wins in 10 years.

Mr. C
March 18th, 2007, 02:03 AM
I forgot about that one. That was good.
IMO it was the best I-AA upset of all-time. The Citadel Bulldogs ROCKED that day.

Mr. C
March 18th, 2007, 02:12 AM

3 FBS wins in 10 years.
Here is something slightly off topic. How about Cal Poly's shutout win over I-A Fresno State (when the Mustangs were Division II) 26-0 in 1979 and the win over I-AA champion Boise State when the Mustangs were Division II champs in 1980? I was at the Fresno State game and it wasn't as close as the score indicated.

The Gadfly
March 18th, 2007, 02:34 AM
When El Cid beat USC and watching the faces of the Gamecock faithful as the seconds ticked away.

crunifan
March 18th, 2007, 03:04 AM
UNI beating up on Big 12's Kansas State and Iowa State a few times never gets old!

saluki_in_ohio
March 18th, 2007, 03:45 AM
See the pic in my sig.

CitadelGrad
March 18th, 2007, 05:50 AM
The Citadel over Arkansas
The Citadel over South Carolina
The Citadel over Navy x 2
The Citadel over Army x 2
Shoulda been The Citadel over Air Force x 2 had it not been for egregious reffing from the WAC officials.

Tealblood
March 18th, 2007, 06:47 AM
One of the great things was what happenend the next weekend Arkansas beat South Carolina in Columbia something like 45-0

I was at the USC-el cid game I remember vividly the play that won the game with less than a minute he citadel on the 3 or 4 yard line option and for those who don't understand what a powerful offence it can be when blocked and worked properly. The Q-back comes around the def tackle and one man is left to beat to get in the endzone 2 of us---1 of you ---one of us will score......a beutiful thing

bjtheflamesfan
March 18th, 2007, 07:21 AM
One that the Liberty guys often wax on about is LU beating Eastern Michigan back in 1994. Im sure Jerry Edwards (longtime radio voice of the Flames) has that one in his archives somewhere

CID1990
March 18th, 2007, 08:27 AM
The Citadel over Arkansas
The Citadel over South Carolina
The Citadel over Navy x 2
The Citadel over Army x 2
Shoulda been The Citadel over Air Force x 2 had it not been for egregious reffing from the WAC officials.

WHAT HE SAID.

(I was at every one of those games) I was in charge of the band at the USC game. The best parts were marching the halftime show in front of all the stunned USC fans when the score was 14-14, the looks on their shocked faces as they waited in the stands for some imaginary 5th quarter to start, and playing "Dixie" about 20 times at the end of the game.

Other good moments:

1. Seeing a USC husband throw his keys at his wife at an after-game tailgate because she said something about The Citadel being a good team.

2. A quote from a West Point cadet after the 1992 win at Army: "Man, I would rather get beat by Navy than get beat by THESE guys."

3. Dehron Robinson, left guard on the team that beat USC, told me after the game, that USC's smack-talking DL guy who he hit all day was crying the whole time during the final drive that won the game.

4. The week before the Arkansas game, SI's Rick Reilly did a really nasty OP-Ed about The Citadel and our athletic program, talking about how badly we mistreat all our athletes. This was the same issue of SI where Arkansas was SI's preseason pick at #25. One week later, we shut down the fancy offense that SI seemed to think was so great.

5. Two of my first cousins were attending Navy during the 88 and 89 games. Navy actually played us in Charleston in 88. Getting to have lifetime bragging rights over family members? PRICELESS.

6. The really gracious Arkansas fans who were even more accomodating and hospitable to us after the game than they were before it.

CID1990
March 18th, 2007, 08:36 AM
One of the great things was what happenend the next weekend Arkansas beat South Carolina in Columbia something like 45-0

I was at the USC-el cid game I remember vividly the play that won the game with less than a minute he citadel on the 3 or 4 yard line option and for those who don't understand what a powerful offence it can be when blocked and worked properly. The Q-back comes around the def tackle and one man is left to beat to get in the endzone 2 of us---1 of you ---one of us will score......a beutiful thing

It was a triple-option left. Fourth down and goal from the 1-yard line. Jack Douglas kept the ball and walked into the end zone. The whole drive was exciting.... we were down 35-31 and kicking the ball off after a field goal. There were only about 3-4 minutes left. We kicked an onside-kick and recovered. Jack Douglas then threw one of only like 3 passes in the whole game to one of the receivers (Our Regimental XO, dont remember the name... receivers arent very memorable on wishbone teams) and completed it on 3rd and 15. We pretty much 5-yarded our way down to the goal line after that and scored with 22 seconds left. 38-35.

The Citadel Ramble Song

Citadel had a Bulldog, with short and grizzly hair
Carolina had a Gamecock, now wouldn't that make a pair?
When they get together, there's bound to be a scrap.
Just watch that Citadel Bulldog wipe the Gamecock off the map!
Oh, they rambled, they rambled, they rambled all around,
in and out of town,
Oh, they rambled, they rambled
They rambled 'till the Bulldog cut him down.

The next year, one of the Arkansas coaches mentioned in an interview that after the first quarter of their game with us, they knew that they were in for the fight of their lives, because Jack Douglas ran the wishbone better than JC Watts and we were NOT going to give up that ball.

GeauxColonels
March 18th, 2007, 10:09 AM

For games I've attended in person, the Appalachian State 1999 game at Auburn was pretty interesting interesting, even though the Mountaineers lost 22-15 on a bomb in the final seconds. It was something seeing a I-AA team absolutely dominate total yardage and almost everything other than the scoreboard in one of the SEC meccas.
Mine, for obvious reasons, was when Nicholls State defeated Arkansas State for out first ever win against FBS. What made it even better is when Arkansas State issued a press release firing their coach DURING the game. Must be an Arkansas thing!

poly51
March 18th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Here is something slightly off topic. How about Cal Poly's shutout win over I-A Fresno State (when the Mustangs were Division II) 26-0 in 1979 and the win over I-AA champion Boise State when the Mustangs were Division II champs in 1980? I was at the Fresno State game and it wasn't as close as the score indicated.

I was there too. Awesome wins. Cal Poly was 7-3-1 aganst Fresno State from 1969 to 1979. 1979 was the last year they played in San Luis Obispo.

bigd
March 18th, 2007, 12:16 PM
When UC Davis beat Stanford in the last few seconds.xnodx

CrazyCat
March 18th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Last years win over Colorado was extremely sweet but the one I remember was a 35-31 win against Fresno St. in 1984. That was one of the most exciting games I've ever listened to.xthumbsupx

catbob
March 18th, 2007, 02:11 PM
CU was so hyped up this season, with Dan Hawkins coming to town. The place was nearly packed (surprising for a DII team *cough*). MSU dominated that second half!

Hell you can still watch the archive on the Buffs website for anyone who wants to. :)

LarryBoy
March 18th, 2007, 02:50 PM
From 1983-1986, Purple was the color of doom for Furman's I-A opponents.

Oct 16, 1982: Furman 28, South Carolina 23
Sep 17, 1983: Furman 17, Georgia Tech 14
Sep 15, 1984: Furman 34, NC State 30
Sep 28, 1985: Furman 42, NC State 20
Sep 13, 1986: Furman 17, Georgia Tech 17 (Tie)

Unfortunately, since then, we only have the '99 win over North Carolina (28-3) to show for our efforts. Close calls include 19-17 loss to Georgia Tech in '91, 20-14 loss to Wyoming in '01, 28-17 loss to Clemson in '03, 41-38 OT loss to Pittsburgh in '04, and this past season's shootout against North Carolina.

Also, as many headaches as App gives me, I was still laughing my head off at their domination of Wake Forest.

March 18th, 2007, 02:59 PM
The best and only one I've attended was New Hampshire DEMOLISHING Northwestern last year. UNH's supposed weak defense shut out Northwestern after they scored early in the second quarter for the rest of the game.

PaladinFan
March 18th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Depends on if you think an FCS defeating an FBS is necessairly an upset. Arguably, Furman had, mostly during the 80s, the best team in the Carolina's, beating up on the likes of NCSU and USC. A nearly 30 point drubbing of the Tar Heels a few years ago doesn't really sound very "upset" like. Furman was the better team flat out.

But my votes go to the Citadel also.

Mr. C
March 18th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Last years win over Colorado was extremely sweet but the one I remember was a 35-31 win against Fresno St. in 1984. That was one of the most exciting games I've ever listened to.xthumbsupx
The Bocats always gave us fits and, of course, that was the year Montana State won its one and only I-AA title. I've seen far too many MSU wins against Fresno State.

blackfordpu
March 18th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Mine, for obvious reasons, was when Nicholls State defeated Arkansas State for out first ever win against FBS. What made it even better is when Arkansas State issued a press release firing their coach DURING the game. Must be an Arkansas thing!

What year was that GC?

Mr. C
March 18th, 2007, 03:34 PM
I was there too. Awesome wins. Cal Poly was 7-3-1 aganst Fresno State from 1969 to 1979. 1979 was the last year they played in San Luis Obispo.
It was a home and home thing and the Mustangs returned to Fresno State in 1980. We had fired Bob Padilla as head coach after 3-8 and 4-7 seasons (he was a PR nightmare and a good defensive coordinator, who should never have been hired as a head coach) and Jim Sweeney (former Montana State and Washington State coach) decided to come back to Fresno after two years in the NFL (Oakland Raiders and St. Louis Cardinals). We were laying for Cal Poly that year and managed a 32-25 win over the soon-to-be Division II champions.

I'll never forget what a good offensive team Joe Harper had put together (Harper was actually mentioned as a candidate for the Fresno State job after the 1979 season, though Sweeney was quickly hired — I broke the story). I still remember Robbie Martin catching passes and returning kicks and Fresno product Louis Jackson running over our defense. In 1982-85, the games were played at Bulldog Stadium. Once we opened our new stadium (going from a 12,000-seat Ratcliffe Stadium to a 30,000-seat facility), it made financial sense to play in Fresno.

The all-time series is 30-10-2 in Fresno State's favor, but hasn't been played since 1985. I heard last year that there had been some discussions between Cal Poly and Fresno State for a future game, with coach Pat Hill's son playing for the Mustangs. Don't think you will ever see another Cal Poly-FSU game in SLO, however.

GaSouthern
March 18th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Furman over Georgia Tech.... too bad the mediore(sp?) didnt win xsmiley_wix

March 18th, 2007, 03:53 PM
The Bocats always gave us fits and, of course, that was the year Montana State won its one and only I-AA title. I've seen far too many MSU wins against Fresno State.You mean, of course, not enough! xlolx

PSUVikings
March 18th, 2007, 04:23 PM
PSU over New Mexico and PSU over Hawaii

poly51
March 18th, 2007, 04:29 PM
It was a home and home thing and the Mustangs returned to Fresno State in 1980. We had fired Bob Padilla as head coach after 3-8 and 4-7 seasons (he was a PR nightmare and a good defensive coordinator, who should never have been hired as a head coach) and Jim Sweeney (former Montana State and Washington State coach) decided to come back to Fresno after two years in the NFL (Oakland Raiders and St. Louis Cardinals). We were laying for Cal Poly that year and managed a 32-25 win over the soon-to-be Division II champions.

I'll never forget what a good offensive team Joe Harper had put together (Harper was actually mentioned as a candidate for the Fresno State job after the 1979 season, though Sweeney was quickly hired — I broke the story). I still remember Robbie Martin catching passes and returning kicks and Fresno product Louis Jackson running over our defense. In 1982-85, the games were played at Bulldog Stadium. Once we opened our new stadium (going from a 12,000-seat Ratcliffe Stadium to a 30,000-seat facility), it made financial sense to play in Fresno.

The all-time series is 30-10-2 in Fresno State's favor, but hasn't been played since 1985. I heard last year that there had been some discussions between Cal Poly and Fresno State for a future game, with coach Pat Hill's son playing for the Mustangs. Don't think you will ever see another Cal Poly-FSU game in SLO, however.

Maybe after Spanos Stadium is completed at 22,000 seats. The 1979 Fresno State game is still the number 3 all time crowd even though the stadium was smaller then. The 1977 Fresno State game is the number 9 crowd and the 1980 Boise State game is number 8.

PaladinFan
March 18th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Larryboy, didn't Furman have a tie with UGA in Athens sometime in there?

You'll note that most of those schools haven't played us again. USC (an hour and a half from FU) I THINK is on the schedule for '08. Apparently 25 years was a long enough wait. I was actually shocked UNC wanted to go round 2.

GeauxColonels
March 18th, 2007, 04:53 PM
What year was that GC?
2001 season. (http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/div_iaa/southland/nicholls_state/yearly_results.php?year=2000) Nicholls State was 2-8 going into the game which had been rescheduled to the very end of the season.

The Colonels won the game 28-22! xlolx xlolx xlolx

LarryBoy
March 18th, 2007, 05:40 PM
Larryboy, didn't Furman have a tie with UGA in Athens sometime in there?

You'll note that most of those schools haven't played us again. USC (an hour and a half from FU) I THINK is on the schedule for '08. Apparently 25 years was a long enough wait. I was actually shocked UNC wanted to go round 2.

I don't remember anything about playing UGA in the 80's, but I could be wrong. I'll check.

Georgia Tech throttled us a couple of times during the years-to-be-forgotten in the early 90's. I think we play USC in '09, Virginia Tech in '08. And there's always the hope that our date with destiny will finally come against Clemson this year.

Is it really 2007 already? Wow, I'm getting old for a 21-year old.

Go...gate
March 18th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Colgate over Temple (1982)
Penn over Navy (1986)
Citadel over South Carolina (1992)
Holy Cross over Army (2002)
Cal Poly over Stanford (2005)
UNH over Rutgers (2004)
UNH over Northwestern (2006)

TexasTerror
March 18th, 2007, 09:11 PM
I'm a big fan of any FCS win over an FBS school...

It goes a long way in promoting our brand of football as more than 'lack-luster' as that jerk of a columnist from the northeast stated...

There's no BS in FCS and our brand of championship football reigns supreme as the highest recognized brand of college football out there...

bobbythekidd
March 18th, 2007, 09:15 PM
What are yours?
I hate to say it, but it has yet to happen for us.xsmhx After reading this thread, I can only imagine the thrill and excitement that could follow a victory of this magnitude. GSU has many things, but this is one we will have to wait to feel ourselves. I am so envious of the other teams that have achieved this benchmark. Great for all of you and maybe soon we will join this crowd. Thanks for sharing.xnodx

T-Dog
March 18th, 2007, 09:26 PM
1. Seeing a USC husband throw his keys at his wife at an after-game tailgate because she said something about The Citadel being a good team.

2. A quote from a West Point cadet after the 1992 win at Army: "Man, I would rather get beat by Navy than get beat by THESE guys."

3. Dehron Robinson, left guard on the team that beat USC, told me after the game, that USC's smack-talking DL guy who he hit all day was crying the whole time during the final drive that won the game..

Those three are great but Number 2 is absolute gold.

I hope to have an experience like that after the season openor next season walking out of the Big House.

""Man, I would rather get beat by Ohio State than get beat by THESE guys."

I can dream, can't I?

UNHWILDCATS05
March 18th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Colgate over Temple (1982)
Penn over Navy (1986)
Citadel over South Carolina (1992)
Holy Cross over Army (2002)
Cal Poly over Stanford (2005)
UNH over Rutgers (2005)
UNH over Northwestern (2006)

UNH v. Rutgers was actually in 2004. Was supposed to play Army in 2005, but that game got moved to 2008 shortly before the season started. As a result, we traveled out to play UC Davis. Remember listening to it on the radio - unbelievable finish.

Go...gate
March 18th, 2007, 09:57 PM
UNH v. Rutgers was actually in 2004. Was supposed to play Army in 2005, but that game got moved to 2008 shortly before the season started. As a result, we traveled out to play UC Davis. Remember listening to it on the radio - unbelievable finish.

Thanks for the correction, which is now reflected in my original post. :)

BULLDOG8180
March 19th, 2007, 11:22 PM
WHAT HE SAID.

(I was at every one of those games) I was in charge of the band at the USC game. The best parts were marching the halftime show in front of all the stunned USC fans when the score was 14-14, the looks on their shocked faces as they waited in the stands for some imaginary 5th quarter to start, and playing "Dixie" about 20 times at the end of the game.

Other good moments:

3. Dehron Robinson, left guard on the team that beat USC, told me after the game, that USC's smack-talking DL guy who he hit all day was crying the whole time during the final drive that won the game.

4. The week before the Arkansas game, SI's Rick Reilly did a really nasty OP-Ed about The Citadel and our athletic program, talking about how badly we mistreat all our athletes. This was the same issue of SI where Arkansas was SI's preseason pick at #25. One week later, we shut down the fancy offense that SI seemed to think was so great.

5. Two of my first cousins were attending Navy during the 88 and 89 games. Navy actually played us in Charleston in 88. Getting to have lifetime bragging rights over family members? PRICELESS.

6. The really gracious Arkansas fans who were even more accomodating and hospitable to us after the game than they were before it.

All those. But my favorite- Citadel 28 Vanderbilt 17 . 1979.

I played in that one, and my father-in-law was a star at Vandy in the late 50's- priceless!

AggiePride
March 20th, 2007, 12:01 AM
Stanford in a last minute drive.

Frosty The Snowbuff
March 20th, 2007, 10:26 AM

Hey....they weren't called "Cupcake U" for nothing....

Peems
March 20th, 2007, 11:14 AM
95 championship game, marshall was practically a 1-A team by that time

Libertine
March 20th, 2007, 11:41 AM
My dad is a yankee from Amish-country PA and he's old school so, when we moved to the Charleston area, he really latched onto The Citadel as an institution and for their style of play. He talked about that win over SC for years. Even today, if you bring it up he gets a big smile on his face.

Zoo
March 20th, 2007, 05:23 PM
I hate to say it, but it has yet to happen for us.xsmhx After reading this thread, I can only imagine the thrill and excitement that could follow a victory of this magnitude. GSU has many things, but this is one we will have to wait to feel ourselves. I am so envious of the other teams that have achieved this benchmark. Great for all of you and maybe soon we will join this crowd. Thanks for sharing.xnodx

Don't worry, you guys will get it sooner then later! :D

Mr. C
March 21st, 2007, 12:27 AM
Georgia Southern came very close to a win over I-A Oregon State during the Adrian Peterson era (I think it was in 1999). The Beavers were lucky to escape with that one.

bjtheflamesfan
March 21st, 2007, 08:48 AM
Wins over FBS teams can pretty much make a coach's career (Especially the very very successful ones). Liberty beat Eastern Michigan in 1989 on the way to a 7-3 record and #11 ranking in I-AA (now of course FCS)

DuckDuckGriz
March 21st, 2007, 12:16 PM
How about 1996, when Montana steam-rolled Oregon State 35-14 in Corvallis.

CitadelGrad
March 21st, 2007, 05:35 PM
DuckDuckGriz, why is Chad Henne your avatar? Are you a Michigan fan also?

appfan2008
March 21st, 2007, 06:00 PM
back when they would schedule us

app > wake forest
we could still beat them today even though they just won the ACC! xnodx xnodx xnodx

appfan2008
March 21st, 2007, 06:02 PM

3 FBS wins in 10 years.

not exactly top of the line schools but hey 3 in 10 aint bad

appfan2008
March 21st, 2007, 06:02 PM
My favorite in just over 5 months will be ASU over Michigan in the BIG HOUSE

CitadelGrad
March 21st, 2007, 08:29 PM
I guess you gotta believe and all that, but I'll be schocked, stunned and amazed if Michigan doesn't beat Appy by at least 4 TDs -- at least.

T-Dog
March 23rd, 2007, 01:14 AM
I guess you gotta believe and all that, but I'll be schocked, stunned and amazed if Michigan doesn't beat Appy by at least 4 TDs -- at least.

You of all people should believe in us? Arkansas? USC? Army? xthumbsupx

AmsterBison
March 23rd, 2007, 06:32 AM
From last year, I'm going with Southern Illinois versus Indiana... I might be tempted to go with NDSU over Ball State but, as most Bison fans will tell you, NDSU is never the underdog so NDSU has never upset anybody :)

Besides, beating a Big 10 team, like New Hampshire and Southern Illinois, did resonates with a lot of people, including me.

bluehenbillk
March 23rd, 2007, 06:40 AM
I kinda liked UD over Navy in 2003, Paul Johnson just stupified on the sideline at the end of the game.

Demon Fan
March 23rd, 2007, 10:18 PM
Northwestern State victories over Louisiana-Lafayette in 2000, TCU in 2001, Louisiana-Monroe in 2003 & 2005