PDA

View Full Version : Villanova at Temple (Mayor's Cup)

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 29th, 2018, 08:51 AM
Temple leads the series 16-15-2
Owls have won 4 straight in series

The only true current FCS vs FBS rivalry game takes place as the two Big 5 schools battle it out at high noon Saturday. We're about a 2 TD favorite depending where you look. Villanova is a solid FCS program but we've really stepped up our game in recent years. Last year both programs were breaking in new staffs and new starters. The game ended up being close with Temple sneaking one out. If that game is played later in the year when Temple found their stride it's a blow out. Villanova has the defense to be a pest for a bit but I can't see them scoring much, if at all against the Owls.

I really like this game! It makes sense because it gets people engaged in college football in Philadelphia! We shouldn't play ever year, and we don't, because it needs a little novelty to keep things interesting. 5-6 times a decade is perfect.

Temple 37 Villanova 13

Anthony215
August 29th, 2018, 09:04 AM
I love this game a great local rivalry and one of the guaranteed games where Temple can have a pretty decent turnout of over 30k in the stands. If Temple is going to play a FCS team yearly it needs to be Nova 5-6 times per decade, Delaware 1-2 times, and Lehigh/Lafayette all schools that can drive to the Linc within 2 hours at most to cut down on their travel cost and a lower payout for the Owls of course as well. Nova has a pesky defense and should be able to hang with the Owls at least for a quarter or two before the depth becomes an issue and Temple runs away. I'm looking for a Temple win 35-14

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 29th, 2018, 09:24 AM
I love this game a great local rivalry and one of the guaranteed games where Temple can have a pretty decent turnout of over 30k in the stands. If Temple is going to play a FCS team yearly it needs to be Nova 5-6 times per decade, Delaware 1-2 times, and Lehigh/Lafayette all schools that can drive to the Linc within 2 hours at most to cut down on their travel cost and a lower payout for the Owls of course as well. Nova has a pesky defense and should be able to hang with the Owls at least for a quarter or two before the depth becomes an issue and Temple runs away. I'm looking for a Temple win 35-14

Completely agree! The 'Nova game is fun! I've been extremely disappointed we haven't been able to work something out with Delaware. That's a game that needs to be played if FCS-FBS games are going to continue. We have Bucknell next year. The Bison are amazingly our 4th most played opponent iirc yet that game has little to no intrigue. Lehigh, Lafayette or a rematch with Fordham would create more interest.

Go Green
August 29th, 2018, 10:34 AM
Did Penn and Villanova agree to renew the rivalry?

Anthony215
August 29th, 2018, 11:28 AM
Completely agree! The 'Nova game is fun! I've been extremely disappointed we haven't been able to work something out with Delaware. That's a game that needs to be played if FCS-FBS games are going to continue. We have Bucknell next year. The Bison are amazingly our 4th most played opponent iirc yet that game has little to no intrigue. Lehigh, Lafayette or a rematch with Fordham would create more interest.

I agree Bucknell does nothing for the fan base putting butts in the seats of the Linc. Now Delaware, Lehigh, Lafayette, Fordham(revenge purposes) would put 25k+ in the seats on opening weekend. Delaware State while it is within the tri state region is a game that should not be played anymore, their fans don't half fill their own 5000 seat stadium so they bring nothing to the table but an easy W but the Blue Hens would bring easily 10k up even if half of them took Septa to the game lol. Delaware ended their series with West Chester which was a lopsided but good rivalry game so not sure how interested they'd be in playing another local team that's not FCS. They do have ACC teams lined up for the next 5 years or so I guess money talks for them.

DFW HOYA
August 29th, 2018, 11:42 AM
I agree Bucknell does nothing for the fan base putting butts in the seats of the Linc. Now Delaware, Lehigh, Lafayette, Fordham(revenge purposes) would put 25k+ in the seats on opening weekend.

What about Holy Cross?

Sader87
August 29th, 2018, 12:05 PM
What about Holy Cross?

Temple and HC have a rather peripatetic football rivalry:

http://cfbinfo.com./series/holy-cross-crusaders/temple-owls

I went to the last meeting between these two fine institutions as a lad in 1973. Quite the air show by both teams...HC had an early led but were ultimately undone by a very good QB of the Owls...believe his name was/is Steve Joachim.

Temple also gave HC its only regular season loss in 1945 before the Saders headed South to the Orange Bowl (only to lose to Miami on a game ending pick 6.....to be an HC fan is to know heartbreak well :) )

HC basically stopped playing both Temple and Rutgers by the mid/late 1970s....we played Villanova a fair amount in the 70s before they dropped football in 1980 and have only played them a few times since their football resumption in the late 1980s (once in the 1-AA playoffs).

DFW HOYA
August 29th, 2018, 12:39 PM
At least HC played them in modern times...

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/NbQAAOSwX1la0Tqz/s-l500.jpg

Sader87
August 29th, 2018, 01:08 PM
A little less than 2 months before Pearl Harbor.....seems like a pricey ticket for the time.

VandalBasher
August 29th, 2018, 09:05 PM
Villanova has a great chance to take down Temple.

RichH2
August 29th, 2018, 09:11 PM
Best luck owl with you boys. Dont forget your adopted boys have them next week. So it would be great if you kicked the crap out of them this week. xhypedxThank you. xrotatehxxnodx

CHIP72
August 29th, 2018, 11:37 PM
If both Villanova and Temple continue their trends from the latter half of last season, I think the Owls will win this game pretty solidly, by 2-3 touchdowns. Temple improved as the 2017 season progressed, while Villanova seemed to get worse, notwithstanding their upset win in the Battle of the Blue. Mind you, the Wildcats had a lot of injuries last year, but they didn't seem quite right even before the injuries. The jury is still out on Mark Ferrante and whether he can fill Andy Talley's shoes; honestly I was surprised when Villanova was ranked in the preseason DI-AA poll. (The jury is also still out on Temple head coach Geoff Collins, but after a poor start his team seemed to right the ship in his first season on North Broad Street in Philadelphia.)

As for Temple's DI-AA opponents, I think what GLTUOwl outlined - play Villanova roughly every other year, play Delaware a couple times per decade, and play Lehigh and Lafayette occasionally - is similar to what I think. (If Ivy League teams ever start counting for DI-A bowl eligibility, then definitely Penn and probably Princeton can be added to that list of Temple opponents too.)

P.S. I will be attending this game.

Go...gate
August 30th, 2018, 02:05 AM
Great match-up!

Hope the temperatures moderate just a bit for the benefit of players and spectators.

Gangtackle11
August 30th, 2018, 06:40 AM
Did Penn and Villanova agree to renew the rivalry?

Not that I’m aware. Talley & Bagnoli were good buddies & played occasionally.

Gangtackle11
August 30th, 2018, 06:42 AM
Best luck owl with you boys. Dont forget your adopted boys have them next week. So it would be great if you kicked the crap out of them this week. xhypedxThank you. xrotatehxxnodx

Cash check & stay healthy. Real season starts at Goodman following Saturday.

Gangtackle11
August 30th, 2018, 06:50 AM
Temple leads the series 16-15-2
Owls have won 4 straight in series

The only true current FCS vs FBS rivalry game takes place as the two Big 5 schools battle it out at high noon Saturday. We're about a 2 TD favorite depending where you look. Villanova is a solid FCS program but we've really stepped up our game in recent years. Last year both programs were breaking in new staffs and new starters. The game ended up being close with Temple sneaking one out. If that game is played later in the year when Temple found their stride it's a blow out. Villanova has the defense to be a pest for a bit but I can't see them scoring much, if at all against the Owls.

I really like this game! It makes sense because it gets people engaged in college football in Philadelphia! We shouldn't play ever year, and we don't, because it needs a little novelty to keep things interesting. 5-6 times a decade is perfect.

Temple 37 Villanova 13

Its a fun game for the fans of Philly. The game will see the lower level of the Linc completely full & the Temple side filling the 2nd deck too. As for on the field, Villanova offense must move the football and help the defense by staying on the field with decent drives.

Villanova’s defense is vulnerable to a passing game as they have had to replace both corners. I see Temple haveing a big passing day that will be a huge day if Villanova offense produces too many 3 & outs.

Im sure the Owls won’t overlook Nova after last season’s 16-13 nail biter.

It all adds up to a another cash the check FBS-FCS game.

Temple 31 Villanova 14

bluehenbillk
August 30th, 2018, 07:16 AM
Temple gonna put the smack down on they ass.

Anthony215
August 30th, 2018, 08:47 AM
If both Villanova and Temple continue their trends from the latter half of last season, I think the Owls will win this game pretty solidly, by 2-3 touchdowns. Temple improved as the 2017 season progressed, while Villanova seemed to get worse, notwithstanding their upset win in the Battle of the Blue. Mind you, the Wildcats had a lot of injuries last year, but they didn't seem quite right even before the injuries. The jury is still out on Mark Ferrante and whether he can fill Andy Talley's shoes; honestly I was surprised when Villanova was ranked in the preseason DI-AA poll. (The jury is also still out on Temple head coach Geoff Collins, but after a poor start his team seemed to right the ship in his first season on North Broad Street in Philadelphia.)

As for Temple's DI-AA opponents, I think what GTUOwl outlined - play Villanova roughly every other year, play Delaware a couple times per decade, and play Lehigh and Lafayette occasionally - is similar to what I think. (If Ivy League teams ever start counting for DI-A bowl eligibility, then definitely Penn and probably Princeton can be added to that list of Temple opponents too.)

P.S. I will be attending this game.

If Coach Collins had inserted Nutile as the starting QB earlier the Owls probably win 9 games last year with the Houston & UCONN games being flipped into W's.

caribbeanhen
August 30th, 2018, 08:51 AM

heard Rocco will be bringing the Hens to the game.... seeing is believing

Gangtackle11
August 30th, 2018, 09:37 AM

I’d worry about the Rhody Rams if I were u. xpeacex

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 30th, 2018, 10:04 AM

I like our chances! Villanova will be ready in the trenches ready so long as the injury bug doesn't bite. One of these years 2-0 will happen xnodxxdrunkyx

Gangtackle11
August 30th, 2018, 10:58 AM
Nova just announced a 2 game series with Penn State in 2021 & 2025.

RichH2
August 30th, 2018, 11:23 AM

That is great news. Congrats

Anthony215
August 30th, 2018, 11:51 AM

Nice to see Penn State keep and start up local rivalry games with the CAA schools (Nova & Delaware) while also continuing the at least twice a decade games with Temple. Hopefully that 2026 game @ Temple is on campus in a newly built stadium at Temple although I'm almost certain PSU won't play in a 35-40k venue they'll request the game be at the Linc.

Go...gate
August 30th, 2018, 02:54 PM

Great news. Nice "stretch" game.

ASU33
August 30th, 2018, 02:56 PM
I think Nova will get them this year!

Ivytalk
August 30th, 2018, 03:09 PM
Temple will pull away in second half to win by 17-21 points.

CHIP72
August 30th, 2018, 06:59 PM
Nice to see Penn State keep and start up local rivalry games with the CAA schools (Nova & Delaware) while also continuing the at least twice a decade games with Temple. Hopefully that 2026 game @ Temple is on campus in a newly built stadium at Temple although I'm almost certain PSU won't play in a 35-40k venue they'll request the game be at the Linc.

The last Penn State/Temple game in Philadelphia (2015) was a sellout with 69K fans and the last matchup before that (2011) drew 57K fans. There's no way from Temple's point of view that they should play Penn State in an on-campus stadium even if one is built. (FWIW, I'm in the "an on-campus stadium doesn't make sense for Temple" group, but just based on Temple's attendance when they host Penn State playing them Lincoln Financial Field just makes more sense from a revenue standpoint IMO.)

P.S. for Anthony215 - do you happen to post on any Temple message boards? The boards that exist for Temple sports are terrible IMO (I'm sure GLTUOwl agrees), but they are what they are.

CHIP72
August 30th, 2018, 07:02 PM

Off-topic comment, but with Penn State scheduling a pair of games against Villanova (and also Delaware), one has to think that increases the odds they'll eventually schedule games with Bucknell, Lafayette, Lehigh, and/or St. Francis as well. Bucknell and St. Francis would be kind of interesting IMO because they are the closest DI-AA teams to Penn State.

On-topic comment - it's too bad Villanova couldn't have played Penn State when they had Matt Szczur; he probably would have driven the Nittany Lions nuts.

katss07
August 30th, 2018, 07:05 PM
Off-topic comment, but with Penn State scheduling a pair of games against Villanova (and also Delaware), one has to think that increases the odds they'll eventually schedule games with Bucknell, Lafayette, Lehigh, and/or St. Francis as well. Bucknell and St. Francis would be kind of interesting IMO because they are the closest DI-AA teams to Penn State.
Well when there are so many CAA schools near by with better overall squads (usually) and better overall programs, you’d think Penn St would stick to those guys. Nova, UD, hell I’d love to see the Virginia FCS go to Penn St.

CHIP72
August 30th, 2018, 07:11 PM
Well when there are so many CAA schools near by with better overall squads (usually) and better overall programs, you’d think Penn St would stick to those guys. Nova, UD, hell I’d love to see the Virginia FCS go to Penn St.

Do you think Texas, Texas A&M, or the other DI-A P5 schools in Texas should play in-state DI-AA schools (like Sam Houston State) or out-of-state DI-AA schools, if they are going to schedule games against DI-AA teams? I'm sure many SHSU fans would really get fired up for a game at Texas A&M in particular due to Huntsville's proximity to College Station.

I'll note schools like Delaware (which is probably less than 5 miles from the Pennsylvania border; it is even closer than that to the Maryland border FWIW) and Youngstown State also make some sense for Penn State even if they aren't in-state schools because at least they are close to Pennsylvania's borders.

centraljerseycat
August 30th, 2018, 09:58 PM
No way KC Keeler would ever agree to take on the Texas Power 5 schools...his love for soft non-conference games rivals Nick Sabans.

grayghost06
August 30th, 2018, 11:15 PM
]Off-topic comment, but with Penn State scheduling a pair of games against Villanova (and also Delaware), one has to think that increases the odds they'll eventually schedule games with Bucknell, Lafayette, Lehigh, and/or St. Francis as well. Bucknell and St. Francis would be kind of interesting IMO because they are the closest DI-AA teams to Penn State.[/B]

On-topic comment - it's too bad Villanova couldn't have played Penn State when they had Matt Szczur; he probably would have driven the Nittany Lions nuts.

I honestly believe PSU could drop 100 on St Franks. Don't think that game is good for the kids at either program (though the $ would be good for St. Francis).

CHIP72
August 30th, 2018, 11:39 PM
I honestly believe PSU could drop 100 on St Franks. Don't think that game is good for the kids at either program (though the $ would be good for St. Francis).

If Penn State could drop 100 points on St. Francis (and IMO they couldn't - they are going to miss Joe Moorhead this year), they could probably drop 200 points on Bucknell.

aust42
August 31st, 2018, 10:52 AM
No way KC Keeler would ever agree to take on the Texas Power 5 schools...his love for soft non-conference games rivals Nick Sabans.

I hated KC's attitude scheduling weak OCC opponents when at Delaware. Playing a big time 1A school is a great experience for players and fans. And upsets happen from time to time! Good luck at Temple I hope you whip their asses

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 31st, 2018, 11:09 AM
At least HC played them in modern times...

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/NbQAAOSwX1la0Tqz/s-l500.jpg

A Friday night game in 1941? Interesting....

The old Temple Stadium was nearly identical to Bucknell's Christy Matthewson Stadium. I'm just old enough to remember CMS in its original horseshoe form.

https://hiddencityphila.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Temple-University-Stadium-660x515.jpg

Anthony215
August 31st, 2018, 11:18 AM

Nova/Delaware offer the 55+ scholarships needed to count the W towards bowl eligibility. I highly doubt any of the Patriot League schools outside of maybe Fordham offer over 50 scholarships and definitely not any of the NEC schools.

RichH2
August 31st, 2018, 11:23 AM
Nova/Delaware offer the 55+ scholarships needed to count the W towards bowl eligibility. I highly doubt any of the Patriot League schools outside of maybe Fordham offer over 50 scholarships and definitely not any of the NEC schools.

A bit out of date . All PL schollie teams offer over 55 schollies. Most are at or near PL max of 60.

CHIP72
August 31st, 2018, 12:04 PM
A bit out of date . All PL schollie teams offer over 55 schollies. Most are at or near PL max of 60.

Yeah - Navy wouldn’t be playing Lehigh and Army wouldn’t be playing Lafayette if those games didn’t count towards bowl eligibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Boogie Down
August 31st, 2018, 01:22 PM
Looking for an unbiased opinion from any/all Fluffians out there: Do locals not affiliated w/either Temple or Villanova have any interest in this game?

I ask b/c I had always hoped that the Liberty Cup would be at least somewhat embraced by NYC college football fans. Especially w/the context behind the Liberty Cup. I had also always hoped that the game would be staged (w/our mayor in attendance to hand out the trophy) annually at Yankee Stadium. Located between both campuses, YS seemed like an ideal neutral site for both schools. Instead, before the series was cancelled, the Lions and Rams did the home-n-home thing. Fordham got big crowds, well big for our dinky "stadium" at least, but there was never a feel of it being a "must win" affair. Yes, the atmosphere felt more special than most contests but it was never as exciting as a few of our "must win" showdowns versus Lehigh or Colgate. The atmosphere at Columbia was far worse. As their nice but empty off campus stadium would often show, not even Columbia fans seemed to care about the Liberty Cup.

So are things different 95 miles south? Does Philly embrace the Mayor's Cup and do locals not affiliated w/either school watch?

DFW HOYA
August 31st, 2018, 01:33 PM
Looking for an unbiased opinion from any/all Fluffians out there: Do locals not affiliated w/either Temple or Villanova have any interest in this game?

I ask b/c I had always hoped that the Liberty Cup would be at least somewhat embraced by NYC college football fans. Especially w/the context behind the Liberty Cup. I had also always hoped that the game would be staged (w/our mayor in attendance to hand out the trophy) annually at Yankee Stadium. Located between both campuses, YS seemed like an ideal neutral site for both schools. Instead, before the series was cancelled, the Lions and Rams did the home-n-home thing. Fordham got big crowds, well big for our dinky "stadium" at least, but there was never a feel of it being a "must win" affair. Yes, the atmosphere felt more special than most contests but it was never as exciting as a few of our "must win" showdowns versus Lehigh or Colgate. The atmosphere at Columbia was far worse. As their nice but empty off campus stadium would often show, not even Columbia fans seemed to care about the Liberty Cup.

So are things different 95 miles south? Does Philly embrace the Mayor's Cup and do locals not affiliated w/either school watch?

Sounds better than the "DC Mayor's Cup".

2008: at Howard (Georgetown, 12-7): Delayed by a tropical storm, drew 6,085.
2009: at Georgetown (Howard, 14-11): Howard didn't even send its band, game drew 2,630.
2011: at Howard (Georgetown, 21-3): The game drew just 1,891. Howard cancelled the series.

And the DC mayor never attended the games.

Go Green
August 31st, 2018, 01:39 PM
2009: at Georgetown (Howard, 14-11): Howard didn't even send its band, game drew 2,630.

Well, that's a sellout at Georgetown. Where was the band supposed to sit?

DFW HOYA
August 31st, 2018, 01:45 PM
Well, that's a sellout at Georgetown. Where was the band supposed to sit?

Technically, 2,500 but as many as 3,500 were there for a game with Brown in 2005. They could have come over and played at halftime, if for anything else.

The on-campus record is 9,002 for Fordham in 1965.

CHIP72
August 31st, 2018, 03:25 PM

I actually fit the above description.

I think the general answer is “not really”, but I do think it definitely generates more interest in the Philadelphia area than most Temple games or most Villanova games. Over the last few years, this has usually been Temple’s best attended game of the season, excluding when the Owls have hosted Penn State or Notre Dame. IMO, Philadelphia’s college basketball tradition/intraregional rivalries with the Big Five has helped make this football matchup a little bigger than it would be otherwise. Villanova’s competitiveness in most of the games has helped too.

Having said the above, neither Temple nor Villanova (nor Penn for that matter) attract that much attention in the Philadelphia area, though interest in Temple football has definitely increased over the last decade. Some of that has to do with Penn State’s popularity, but most of it has to do with the E-A-G-L-E-S...EAGLES!!! and the Philadelphia market’s much greater interest in the NFL. The Eagles suck the air out of the room for interest in other levels of football (and at times interest in other major league pro sports teams in Philadelphia), and that limits the interest in Temple football, Villanova football, and the Temple/Villanova game. The Eagles’ Super Bowl win earlier this year and the focus on the Eagles’ season opener against Atlanta next Thursday may take away some of the interest in the Villanova/Temple game this year. On the other hand, there were a very limited number of tickets available on Ticketmaster for this game as of yesterday (mind you many tickets are being held back for full and partial season ticket plans and will be available on game day), so there may be growing interest in this game.

FWIW, last year’s game had an announced attendance of just over 35,000 fans, so that provides a frame of reference for how good or bad attendance may be for this year’s Mayor’s Cup game.

The Boogie Down
August 31st, 2018, 06:04 PM
I actually fit the above description.

I think the general answer is “not really”, but I do think it definitely generates more interest in the Philadelphia area than most Temple games or most Villanova games. Over the last few years, this has usually been Temple’s best attended game of the season, excluding when the Owls have hosted Penn State or Notre Dame. IMO, Philadelphia’s college basketball tradition/intraregional rivalries with the Big Five has helped make this football matchup a little bigger than it would be otherwise. Villanova’s competitiveness in most of the games has helped too.

Having said the above, neither Temple nor Villanova (nor Penn for that matter) attract that much attention in the Philadelphia area, though interest in Temple football has definitely increased over the last decade. Some of that has to do with Penn State’s popularity, but most of it has to do with the E-A-G-L-E-S...EAGLES!!! and the Philadelphia market’s much greater interest in the NFL. The Eagles suck the air out of the room for interest in other levels of football (and at times interest in other major league pro sports teams in Philadelphia), and that limits the interest in Temple football, Villanova football, and the Temple/Villanova game. The Eagles’ Super Bowl win earlier this year and the focus on the Eagles’ season opener against Atlanta next Thursday may take away some of the interest in the Villanova/Temple game this year. On the other hand, there were a very limited number of tickets available on Ticketmaster for this game as of yesterday (mind you many tickets are being held back for full and partial season ticket plans and will be available on game day), so there may be growing interest in this game.

FWIW, last year’s game had an announced attendance of just over 35,000 fans, so that provides a frame of reference for how good or bad attendance may be for this year’s Mayor’s Cup game.

Thank you for the informative answer. All of it, from the Big-5 hoops connection, to Penn State's popularity, to especially the Iggles (and especially now), makes complete sense. Again, very well stated and very much appreciated! One thing I forgot to ask, does the mayor actually show up to the Mayor's Cup game? I'd think, regardless of whomever is mayor, that addition + a trophy presentation would make it a top local news story.

As for these parts, NYC suffers from many of those same problems and, unfortunately for us, doesn't even have a rich college hoops tradition to set up a football one. No one has really cared about St. John's since the Ron Artist/Felipe Lopez years and they don't have a football team anyway so moot point there. As for Fordham, they did get 22,000 @ Yankee Stadium against Holy Cross a few years back. I'd think they'd be able to at least match that against Columbia. Maybe-maybe draw some (again, just "some") local interest too. For whatever the reason tho, neither program took the Liberty Cup in that direction.

Still, thanks for the explanative reply. Good to know that even in an urban, Northeast setting dominated by pro teams, Philly can at least show some interest in the locals. Even when one of them is an FCS and, until recently, the other had been a gawd-awful G5. Makes me think that one day Fordham vs someone else (maybe Stony Brook, maybe Army?), could do the same at a pro venue.

cx500d
August 31st, 2018, 06:19 PM
Sounds better than the "DC Mayor's Cup".

2008: at Howard (Georgetown, 12-7): Delayed by a tropical storm, drew 6,085.
2011: at Howard (Georgetown, 21-3): The game drew just 1,891. Howard cancelled the series.

And the DC mayor never attended the games.
Was he in prison, or did his leg bracelet not allow attendance?

CHIP72
August 31st, 2018, 07:58 PM
Was he in prison, or did his leg bracelet not allow attendance?

Marion Barry wasn’t the DC mayor in those years. (I think Adrian Fenty was the mayor for at least the first couple of those games, and Vince Gray may have been the mayor for the last one.)

PAllen
August 31st, 2018, 08:13 PM
Marion Barry wasn’t the DC mayor in those years. (I think Adrian Fenty was the mayor for at least the first couple of those games, and Vince Gray may have been the mayor for the last one.)

So the leg bracelet hasn't been applied to those two yet.

CHIP72
August 31st, 2018, 11:43 PM
So the leg bracelet hasn't been applied to those two yet.

There will probably never be another politician like Marion Barry in local DC government. (Of course, being from the DC area PAllen, you already knew that.)

For people familiar with Philadelphia's political history, Barry was in some ways a lot like Frank Rizzo, even if the groups that supported each man were quite different (and some ways opposite of each other). Each was a larger-than-life, messianic figure who engendered strong emotions from most people - both men were either loved or hated by many people, with few people in between, and both men's deaths were major news stories in their respective cities. (With Frank Rizzo, I remember reading a story that noted NBC's Andrea Mitchell, who worked in the Philadelphia media during Rizzo's mayoral tenure and had a combative relationship with Rizzo, broke down and cried when she heard Rizzo unexpectedly died in the summer of 1991.)

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 10:52 AM
Game about to kickoff!!

It's on ESPN NEWS!!!

Go Owls!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 11:13 AM
'Nova goes right down the field on their opening possession for a TD....

7-0 'Cats 10:52 1Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 11:24 AM
The Owls respond with a FG

7-3 'Nova 5:32 1Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 11:35 AM
'Nova is playing incredible right now. Not like we're playing bad...

13-3 'Nova 1:03 1Q

They have their usual missed XP....

katss07
September 1st, 2018, 11:51 AM
Nova kicking sucks...

cx500d
September 1st, 2018, 11:55 AM
ESPN has this game on the ESPN news channel which apparently is an extra pay channel not part of normal ESPN/espn2/espn3/ESPN+/ESPN college so I can’t watch it. Who the hell pays extra to get ESPN news?

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 12:01 PM
Temple scores on a blocked FG return!! We needed that! The 'Nova kicking game is terrible and we're awesome at blocking them, 1st in NCAA..

13-10 'Cats 7:47 2Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 12:32 PM
13-10 'Nova at half

After the first 7-8 minutes Temple's D settled in. Going to be an interesting 2nd half. We need to be able to make plays down the field...

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 01:07 PM
TD Owls!! Nutile finally gets the offense going!!

17-13 Owls 5:45 3Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 01:30 PM
Still 17-13 Owls, early 4th Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 01:47 PM
'Nova QB makes a ridiculous play on 4th and 9 for a TD.

19-17 'Nova 7:31 4Q

Temple blocked the XP

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 01:53 PM
This is getting seriously dicey for Temple...damn...

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 02:05 PM
Temple ball 1st and 10 at their own 7 with 1:18 to go. Need a FG

- - - Updated - - -

'Nova with a pick on 1st down...game over....we're going to lose...and Lehigh get them next week....

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 02:08 PM
Villanova 19 Temple 17 Final

No one really saw this coming given what we had coming back and 'Nova's question marks. 'Cat D was so good...

AmsterBison
September 1st, 2018, 02:12 PM
Nice job! Villanova looked good.

kdinva
September 1st, 2018, 02:19 PM
Villanova 19 Temple 17 Final

xbeerchugx

xhugx

cx500d
September 1st, 2018, 02:20 PM
Outstanding...I hope you are back after that debacle called last season

Seawolf97
September 1st, 2018, 02:42 PM
Nice game for Villanova ! Congrats

caribbeanhen
September 1st, 2018, 02:58 PM
Way to go Nova, the Alarm clock is ringing and the sleeper alert is now out of bed

Somewhere Hall and Oates can be heard humming I cant go for that, nooooo no can do..... haha

Schism55
September 1st, 2018, 03:02 PM
Way to get that scalp 'Nova!

Go Green
September 1st, 2018, 03:35 PM
Well done!

smilo
September 1st, 2018, 05:09 PM
I expected to lose by one possession with a blown chance to win at the close much like last year, but I didn't expect to win (dominate!) the entire stat sheet in doing so. After so many close calls in the past decade, I was pessimistic throughout (and fuming at half!) Finally!

Son of Eli
September 1st, 2018, 05:39 PM
Congratulations Villanova!

McNeese75
September 1st, 2018, 07:06 PM
Congrats

Good Win!!! xthumbsupx

Lehigh'98
September 1st, 2018, 07:38 PM
Very nice Nova! Perhaps this silences some of the new coaches critics.

CHIP72
September 1st, 2018, 07:44 PM
ESPN has this game on the ESPN news channel which apparently is an extra pay channel not part of normal ESPN/espn2/espn3/ESPN+/ESPN college so I can’t watch it. Who the hell pays extra to get ESPN news?

I don’t know, people with normal cable systems have the channel available as a non pay-per-view option.

CHIP72
September 1st, 2018, 07:45 PM
Way to go Nova, the Alarm clock is ringing and the sleeper alert is now out of bed

Somewhere Hall and Oates can be heard humming I cant go for that, nooooo no can do..... haha

Fans of teams that lose to Rhode Island usually don’t throw dirt on another team.

CHIP72
September 1st, 2018, 07:52 PM
Villanova significantly outplayed Temple for most of the game IMO (the exclusion being from the beginning of the 3rd quarter until the Owls missed their short FG early in the 4th quarter). The Wildcats deserved to win.

Not happy with the result, but after VU’s game next week with Lehigh (when I’ll be rooting for the Mountain Hawks), hopefully the Wildcats kick butt the rest of the season and show Year 1 of the Mark Ferrante era was ultimately an aberration caused by extensive team injuries.

CHIP72
September 1st, 2018, 07:57 PM
FWIW, I thought the Villanova fan turnout was a little stronger this year than last year; I’m guessing the VU had about 20% of the fans at the game, maybe a bit higher. (Last year I estimated the crowd was 85/15 in Temple’s favor.) The slightly larger Villanova contingent might have been a function of reduced Temple fan turnout; the announced attendance for the 2018 game was almost 3000 fans lower than the announced crowd for the 2017 game.

Gangtackle11
September 1st, 2018, 08:46 PM
FWIW, I thought the Villanova fan turnout was a little stronger this year than last year; I’m guessing the VU had about 20% of the fans at the game, maybe a bit higher. (Last year I estimated the crowd was 85/15 in Temple’s favor.) The slightly larger Villanova contingent might have been a function of reduced Temple fan turnout; the announced attendance for the 2018 game was almost 3000 fans lower than the announced crowd for the 2017 game.

Playing on Labor Day weekend was a factor in keeping the attendance down.

Gangtackle11
September 1st, 2018, 09:41 PM
As for the game.......Nova dominated Temple in the stats.

Total yards: 405 to 251
1st Downs: 26 to 16
TOP: 38:39 to 21:21

Only a Blocked FG & 2 missed XPs kept Temple in the game.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 09:49 PM
As for the game.......Nova dominated Temple in the stats.

Total yards: 405 to 251
1st Downs: 26 to 16
TOP: 38:39 to 21:21

Only a Blocked FG & 2 missed XPs kept Temple in the game.

'Nova still needed Bednarczyk to make one helluva play on a 4th and 9 to pull it. 'Nova moved the ball but Temple's D stood tall all afternoon. 'Nova D was extremely impressive. They made Nutile's life miserable all day and took away Armstead.

blackbeard
September 1st, 2018, 09:57 PM
Great win Nova!! Congrats!

citdog
September 2nd, 2018, 12:08 AM
Ha ha ha ha haaaaaa. temple should beg to join the patsy league so that le high football phone booth and go le high temple owl can not only be embarrassing wrong on football together, they are BOTH a joke but SO wrong together on politics as well.

Go...gate
September 2nd, 2018, 01:47 AM
Well, I'll be damned!! Welcome back, citdog!! xcoachx

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 2nd, 2018, 05:39 AM
Ha ha ha ha haaaaaa. temple should beg to join the patsy league so that le high football phone booth and go le high temple owl can not only be embarrassing wrong on football together, they are BOTH a joke but SO wrong together on politics as well.

You're high on that Montana meth again and confusing me with LFN. Don't ever accuse me of being involved with politics...

caribbeanhen
September 2nd, 2018, 06:51 AM
Fans of teams that lose to Rhode Island usually don’t throw dirt on another team.

.... no dirt to throw at Nova for a great win.... not sure where the dirt is.... unless your a Temple fan

caribbeanhen
September 7th, 2018, 10:22 PM

1967–1972: Formation and early years[edit (https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Hall_%26_Oates&action=edit&section=2)]Daryl Franklin Hohl (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daryl_Hall) (born in Pottstown, Pennsylvania (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pottstown,_Pennsylvania), on October 11, 1946)[8] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hall_%26_Oates#cite_note-Our_Kind_of_Soul_Goldmine-8) and John William Oates (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Oates) (born in New York City, New York (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_City,_New_York), on April 7, 1948)[9] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hall_%26_Oates#cite_note-9) first met at the Adelphi Ballroom in Philadelphia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia) in 1967.[10] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hall_%26_Oates#cite_note-petelewis-10) At the time they met, each was heading his own musical group, Hall with The Temptones and Oates with The Masters. They were there for a band competition when gunfire rang out between two rival gangs, and in trying to escape, they ran to the same service elevator.[10] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hall_%26_Oates#cite_note-petelewis-10) On further discovering that they were interested in the same music and that both were attending Philadelphia's Temple University (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_University),