PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Predictions 9-1

JALMOND
August 27th, 2018, 09:19 PM
With the season starting for some Big Sky teams on Thursday, I thought I'd get these out Monday (about time). Idaho in, North Dakota out and many questions scattered all around. Some good out-of-conference matchups with three games against the Missouri Valley (Cal Poly, Montana, Montana State), three against the Mountain West (Idaho, UC-Davis, Portland State), and three against lower division foes (EWU, Idaho State, Sacramento State). Those of you who don't know, the Big Sky teams are represented by their scoreboard initials, and the non-Big Sky teams are spelled out (that's why I spelled out Texas-El Paso and not UTEP). Good luck to everyone.

CP at North Dakota State---Oh, heavens! The Mustangs are trying to rebuild and get back to the elite in the conference and they get to go play the top team in the nation. Well, someone has to play them and maybe it is good they get them at the start...North Dakota State 41, CP 14.

Central Washington at EWU---Interesting matchup. One of the better DII teams going up against one of the better FCS teams. The Eagles will certainly want to take care of business early and not let little brother harbor any strange ideas...EWU 48, Central Washington 17.

UI at Fresno State---How the Vandals will do in their return to FCS has been one of the most pressing questions during the summer. They get to play an FBS opponent one more time before becoming a true FCS team (but they do have Florida later)...Fresno State 31, UI 24.

Western State, CO at ISU---Trying to get back to the elite, the Bengals seem to have scheduled a breather for their first game. Their schedule will get tougher so they better not let this game get away from them, otherwise things may go sour quickly...ISU 38, Western State 17.

Northern Iowa at UM---You don't win at the Grizzlies' home den just by showing up, and you don't beat a team like Northern Iowa just by showing up either. This has the makings to be a great game, as long as both teams do, indeed, show up...UM 29, Northern Iowa 28.

Western Illinois at MSU---The Bobcats finally get to put everything behind them and begin to play football again. They've got some capable quarterbacks to replace Murray but it may take a while to iron out the bugs. Starting with a strong Mo Valley team, however...Western Illinois 30, MSU 22.

NAU at Texas-El Paso---You schedule a money game, you just hope for a good paycheck and a good showing. Sometimes you do get lucky and catch the FBS team in a down year. All indications are that the Lumberjacks got lucky this year...NAU 35, Texas-El Paso 33.

McNeese State at UNC---Maybe the Bears do have something. Maybe they might make some noise this year in the conference. But starting off playing one of the top teams in the Southland is not a good way to enter the season. Maybe, but no...McNeese State 35, UNC 20.

PSU at Nevada---Now the Viks are back on the field and a new season to put the disastrous last season behind them. But people are going to continue to talk about the lack of wins until they do get a win. They'll continue to talk after this...Nevada 41, PSU 20.

St. Francis at SAC---This is how you do it. Finally field an excellent team and truck in an NAIA school for the first game as a sacrificial lamb. But hoping that the Hornets don't let what happened a few years back when they started with Southern Oregon...SAC 45, St. Francis 7.

North Alabama at SUU---The Thunderbirds get to face a transitional FCS squad that is playing their first game in DI. Playing at home against what should be viewed as a lower opponent should set up for an easy win. But nothing comes easy...SUU 28, North Alabama 20.

UCD at San Jose State---The Aggies have got some explosive threats and facing one of the weaker teams in the FBS may give them hope. After all, they don't play Stanford for two more weeks. Still, it is tough to pick the FCS over the FBS regardless of opponent...San Jose State 38, UCD 31.

WSU at Utah---How is this for a crazy matchup. The Wildcats, coming off a successful season, start against their big brother from the Pac-12, a good team in their own right. Can the Wildcat defense contain a strong Pac-12 offense, and can they win?...Utah 28, WSU 12.

VandalBasher
August 27th, 2018, 09:36 PM
UI at Fresno State---How the Vandals will do in their return to FCS has been one of the most pressing questions during the summer. They get to play an FBS opponent one more time before becoming a true FCS team (but they do have Florida later)...Fresno State 31, UI 24.

CURRENT WIN STREAK 10 FRESNO STATE (1978-2013)

LARGEST MARGIN OF VICTORY
61-14

http://www.winsipedia.com/idaho/vs/fresno-state

This is what happened the last time we played them with equal number of scholarships and in the same conference.

My predication 42-14.

bonarae
August 27th, 2018, 09:47 PM
NDSU
EWU
Fresno State
ISU orange
Griz
WIU
NAU
McNeese
Nevada Reno
Sac State
SUU
SJSU
Utes

JALMOND
August 28th, 2018, 12:39 AM
CURRENT WIN STREAK 10 FRESNO STATE (1978-2013)

LARGEST MARGIN OF VICTORY
61-14

http://www.winsipedia.com/idaho/vs/fresno-state

This is what happened the last time we played them with equal number of scholarships and in the same conference.

My predication 42-14.

Only thing I can say is...
2014 Washington State 59, Portland State 21
2015 Portland State 24, Washington State 17
xlolx

Iridebikes
August 28th, 2018, 07:40 AM
My two cents worth:
NDSU
EWU
Fresno
ISU
UNI
WIU
UTEP
McNeese
Nevada
Sac St.
SUU
San Jose State
Utah

wapiti
August 29th, 2018, 09:20 AM
CP 17 at North Dakota State 31
Central Washington 24 at EWU 48
UI 24 at Fresno State 35
Western State, CO 13 at ISU 38
Northern Iowa 31 at UM 32
Western Illinois 24 at MSU 27
NAU 10 at Texas-El Paso 28
McNeese State 24 at UNC 17
PSU 17 at Nevada 48
St. Francis 13 at SAC 55
North Alabama 27 at SUU 28
UCD 35 at San Jose State 32
WSU 24 at Utah 36

100%GRIZ
August 29th, 2018, 09:26 AM
NDSU
EWU
Fresno
ISU
Griz
WIU
NAU
McNeese
Nevada
SAC
North Alabama
San Jose
Utah

VandalBasher
August 29th, 2018, 09:27 AM
UC Davis, NAU and PSU each get a win this weekend.

mvemjsunpx
August 30th, 2018, 03:16 AM
Thursday

Davis 38-35 SJSU — The Aggies could definitely beat the 3rd. worst team in FBS

Weber 14-41 Utah — The Wildcats are 1-21 all-time against the 3 in-state FBS schools

Willynois 27-20 Montana St. — Another year, another non-QB playing QB in Bozeman

MVSU 13-55 NoDak — Can the Delta Devils put up negative rushing yardage for a second-straight season? xawesomex

Friday

Portland St. 14-49 Nevada — Prior to last year, PSU's only winless season came in 1952

Western St. 6-48 Idaho St. — Holt Arena begins its 49th. season… that's the most interesting thing about this one

Saturday

CDub 21-49 EDub — The Eagles get revenge on Reilly Hennessey… or whatever

Cal Poly 10-48 NDSU — The Bison had no trouble with Wofford's option in December

SFIL 16-63 Sac — We won't likely know if Sac is for real for a couple weeks

Idaho 10-38 Fresno — The newly FCS Vandals deal with last year's Mountain West surprise

UNA 13-31 Suutah — The Lions get to enjoy some nice scenery & dry weather

NAU 31-21 UTEP — The Lumberjacks should definitely beat the worst team in FBS

UNI 31-27 Montana — The Griz depth chart shows only 6 starters that were starting last year

McNeese 23-17 NoCo — If this was November Greeley, I'd take the Bears, but it's not

FCSbuff319
August 30th, 2018, 05:32 AM
San Jose State
Utah
Montana State
North Dakota
Nevada
Idaho State
Eastern Washington
North Dakota State
Sacramento State
Fresno State
Southern Utah
Northern Arizona
Northern Iowa
McNeese State

Roamingriz
August 30th, 2018, 05:13 PM
Cal Poly v NDSU - Wish it was looking like an up year for the mustangs, and it may yet look up, but not in this one. NDSU 38 CP 10

Central Washington v EWU - Agree that Central shouldn't be overlooked and I don't think this will be a great Eastern team, but they should pull it out here comfortably.
EWU 35 CW 17

Idaho v Fresno State - I don't think Idaho is going to get any respect in this matchup from lower-case fbs Fresno State. This FBS swansong from Idaho might be close, but not not too close...
Fresno 33 Idaho 18

Western State v Idaho State - Should be a warm up for an Idaho State looking for a strong year. Better to start with a W than an L.
Western 14 ISU 35

Northern Iowa v Montana - A lot of intangibles going for MT with Hauck playing his cards close to his chest(little team media access, no film swap, closed practices) and Wagriz near it's best. UNI should win it on paper, but Hauck is underselling this team. However there are absolutely soft spots that should be exploited by UNI and real inexperience for the griz.
Montana 28 UNI 27

Western Illinois v Montana State - A great gauge for both teams, moving on from Murray should make for a more dynamic offense for MSU. WIU should see where they are and what the cupboard still holds. My guess is enough to over take the cats at home.
WIU 27 MSU 21

NAU v UTEP - UTEP is not good but would still take down a majority of FCS teams. Probably doesn't mean NAU. The jacks should be better than last year in my opinion with some injured players back and shouldn't fall into the low end of the FCS pool. Unless Cookus finds a way to get himself ejected.
NAU 35 UTEP 30

Mcneese v Northern Colorado - Could be a great matchup and a chance for NCo to make an NCo sized statement. They could take it if Mcneese goes to the mat with them and trys to grind it out on the ground. But Mcneese shouldn't.
Mcneese 28 Bears 17

Portland State v Nevada - Better for PSU if this had been a soft opening game to get some confidence. Would take an up year for the Vikings to upset the Wolf pack. Maybe?
Nevada 42 Portland 14

Saint Francis (IL) v Sac St. - An extra soft opening game for the Hornets. Meh.... Curious about the Hornets this year, not this matchup.
Hornets 45 SF 9

Northern Alabama v Southern Utah - I've read good things about this Alabama team and SUU should come ready for a fight. SUU has lost a few pieces but always manages a good team. At home I think they should have enough, but this would seem the most likely upset to me.
SUU 24 N Alabama 27

UC Davis v San Jose St. - Davis has the talent to pull this on offense. Though less familiar with what they have on defense. San Jose seems to float near the bottom of the FBS though. They don't seem to bring a strong team year in year out. I think Davis is on the way up and pulls it off.
Davis 27 SJSU 26

Weber State. v Utah - This will be a solid FCS Weber, though I don't think they will have the same offensive production as last year. Cantwell was so savvy. It likely wouldn't matter against a pretty strong Utah looking to compete in the top echelon of the PAC 12.
Webes 12 Utah 38

JALMOND
September 2nd, 2018, 03:04 AM
With the season starting for some Big Sky teams on Thursday, I thought I'd get these out Monday (about time). Idaho in, North Dakota out and many questions scattered all around. Some good out-of-conference matchups with three games against the Missouri Valley (Cal Poly, Montana, Montana State), three against the Mountain West (Idaho, UC-Davis, Portland State), and three against lower division foes (EWU, Idaho State, Sacramento State). Those of you who don't know, the Big Sky teams are represented by their scoreboard initials, and the non-Big Sky teams are spelled out (that's why I spelled out Texas-El Paso and not UTEP). Good luck to everyone.

CP at North Dakota State---Oh, heavens! The Mustangs are trying to rebuild and get back to the elite in the conference and they get to go play the top team in the nation. Well, someone has to play them and maybe it is good they get them at the start...North Dakota State 41, CP 14.

Central Washington at EWU---Interesting matchup. One of the better DII teams going up against one of the better FCS teams. The Eagles will certainly want to take care of business early and not let little brother harbor any strange ideas...EWU 48, Central Washington 17.

Western State, CO at ISU---Trying to get back to the elite, the Bengals seem to have scheduled a breather for their first game. Their schedule will get tougher so they better not let this game get away from them, otherwise things may go sour quickly...ISU 38, Western State 17.

Northern Iowa at UM---You don't win at the Grizzlies' home den just by showing up, and you don't beat a team like Northern Iowa just by showing up either. This has the makings to be a great game, as long as both teams do, indeed, show up...UM 29, Northern Iowa 28.

Western Illinois at MSU---The Bobcats finally get to put everything behind them and begin to play football again. They've got some capable quarterbacks to replace Murray but it may take a while to iron out the bugs. Starting with a strong Mo Valley team, however...Western Illinois 30, MSU 22.

NAU at Texas-El Paso---You schedule a money game, you just hope for a good paycheck and a good showing. Sometimes you do get lucky and catch the FBS team in a down year. All indications are that the Lumberjacks got lucky this year...NAU 35, Texas-El Paso 33.

McNeese State at UNC---Maybe the Bears do have something. Maybe they might make some noise this year in the conference. But starting off playing one of the top teams in the Southland is not a good way to enter the season. Maybe, but no...McNeese State 35, UNC 20.

PSU at Nevada---Now the Viks are back on the field and a new season to put the disastrous last season behind them. But people are going to continue to talk about the lack of wins until they do get a win. They'll continue to talk after this...Nevada 41, PSU 20.

St. Francis at SAC---This is how you do it. Finally field an excellent team and truck in an NAIA school for the first game as a sacrificial lamb. But hoping that the Hornets don't let what happened a few years back when they started with Southern Oregon...SAC 45, St. Francis 7.

North Alabama at SUU---The Thunderbirds get to face a transitional FCS squad that is playing their first game in DI. Playing at home against what should be viewed as a lower opponent should set up for an easy win. But nothing comes easy...SUU 28, North Alabama 20.

UCD at San Jose State---The Aggies have got some explosive threats and facing one of the weaker teams in the FBS may give them hope. After all, they don't play Stanford for two more weeks. Still, it is tough to pick the FCS over the FBS regardless of opponent...San Jose State 38, UCD 31.

WSU at Utah---How is this for a crazy matchup. The Wildcats, coming off a successful season, start against their big brother from the Pac-12, a good team in their own right. Can the Wildcat defense contain a strong Pac-12 offense, and can they win?...Utah 28, WSU 12.

10-3 to start the season. Should have had more faith in the conference (Davis, Montana State). Southern Utah?