PDA

View Full Version : SoCon Rouser live right now

thirdgendin
July 26th, 2005, 08:27 AM
www.socon.tv has live coverage of the SoCon football rouser. It started at 9 a.m. EDT Tuesday.

ashram
July 26th, 2005, 10:16 AM
Just watched the interviews with William Freeman and Ingle Martin. Man, I'm glad those guys are on my side.

Saint3333
July 26th, 2005, 11:12 AM
That's the best kept secret in radio broadcasting David Jackson leading the interviews. The ASN crew always does a great job whether, it's events like this, SoCon bball tourney, or my favorite ASU football and bball games.

AgentOrange
July 26th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Man, that's impressive. Our Kickoff party, conference wise, isn't until tomorrow. Not sure if there will be a webcast.

Man, wish I had audio at this school computer.

chattanoogamocs
July 26th, 2005, 01:14 PM
That's the best kept secret in radio broadcasting David Jackson leading the interviews. The ASN crew always does a great job whether, it's events like this, SoCon bball tourney, or my favorite ASU football and bball games.

I agree completely...but I wouldn't call it a secret (unless you are talking about outside the SoCon)

BTW--watched almost the whole thing, great picture and sound quality...make me look forward to checking out some games this fall (if the price is reasonable).

Kudos to whoever in the SoCon office (probably Steve Shutt) worked out this deal.

rokamortis
July 26th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Looks like it is $45 for an annual pass during this media day special. $60 regularly.

The Big South site lists the $45 special as well as a $5 day pass or $10 championship all event pass. So seems reasonable - I just hope they have a lot of stuff on there.

Eagle_77
July 27th, 2005, 10:52 AM
So I am taking it you can only watch live stuff? They dont have any past broadcast.

rokamortis
July 27th, 2005, 12:19 PM
No - I think they'll have on demand archives of the live broadcasts - at least that is the impression I have.

chattanoogamocs
July 27th, 2005, 12:19 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they don't/won't archive for those who wanted to see a replay later.

What will be interesting to see is if they have any "talent", or just show the raw feed (which is what they did for the SoCon basketball tournament). You are basically seeing what a coach would see breaking down game film (no commentary, no score graphics...they just point the camera up to the scoreboard every so often).

They will likely see if there is sustainable interest and, if so, will make future improvements.

Still, for a cheap price it is a great option if you can't make a game.

Since this is so new (and the fans have so many questions), I planned to do an interview with Steve Shutt this week to write a story on what SoCon Fans can expect.

GSUAlumniEagle
July 27th, 2005, 03:10 PM

I absolutely agree. I quite enjoyed listening to David Jackson during the socon basketball tourney. In fact, I listened to them instead of listening to Ted Byrne when GSU played.

GSU has, in my opinion, one of the worst broadcast teams in all of sports. I love Nate Hirsch, he's done a TON for the school, and is a really great guy... but he's not a broadcaster. And in baseball, him and Hank Schomber totally redefine the words "dead air". I find it incredibly hard not to fall asleep.

And Ted Byrne is both a bad broadcaster--usually he doesn't tell you what happened until the ball is on the other end of the court--and a bad person. I can't stand Byrney.

chattanoogamocs
July 27th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Had a good conversation with Steve this afternoon...the opportunities and access sound really exciting for the whole conference...and it has some interesting recruiting prospects too.

I am extremely busy right now (I am moving my store and apartment to a new, bigger, location down the block), but I will try to go thru my notes and write a little article...and post it sometime tomorrow.

I will say this right now, the quality and content will involve the schools as much as the conference (and the hosting company)...but literally, almost any SoCon event could be seen live if the schools can all work out their end.

...and to whoever asked, yes, they do plan to archive events. The fee will probably run about $9.95 a month.

Eagle22
July 28th, 2005, 01:38 AM
I absolutely agree. I quite enjoyed listening to David Jackson during the socon basketball tourney. In fact, I listened to them instead of listening to Ted Byrne when GSU played.

GSU has, in my opinion, one of the worst broadcast teams in all of sports. I love Nate Hirsch, he's done a TON for the school, and is a really great guy... but he's not a broadcaster. And in baseball, him and Hank Schomber totally redefine the words "dead air". I find it incredibly hard not to fall asleep.

And Ted Byrne is both a bad broadcaster--usually he doesn't tell you what happened until the ball is on the other end of the court--and a bad person. I can't stand Byrney.

Hank has retired as the compliance guru at Southern, and won't be doing anymore baseball, at least that is what Hank told me last time I spoke w/ him. Considering all the time he spent w/ GSU outside of the compliance arena ... sideline control during football and baseball broadcasting, he truly devoted himself to Eagle athletics. Certainly he's no Vin Scully, but I think he did what the role requires ... and collegiate baseball usually is not going to be filled with the anecdotes which set major league baseball apart ... usually the pro broadcasters have a ton of stories they work in based in part on their past experiences with either current players or coaches.

I think you're off base w/ Nate, but to each his own. He paints the picture well enough for me, and the only issue I have is when tuning in mid-way through a game it might take a while to hear what the score is ... however, usually you can tell from Nate's mannerisms who has the momentum and who needs it ;)

As for Ted Byrne, I think if I heard correctly, that he is no longer in Statesboro and has moved to Charleston. I believe it was mentioned that he will be doing the pre-game show for the Citadel. Hopefully for Ted, it will go better than his post-game call-in show did in Statesboro.

SoCon48
July 28th, 2005, 07:29 AM
Saint333, that is a total 180 from Elon phyrbirdfan's opinion posted on the ASU MMB and Catamount Pride boards. He pointed out horrible backlighting and David Jackson's "bias."