PDA

View Full Version : Mini Doc on the 1998 FAMU Gulf Coast Offense...top ranked offense in 98

Big Dawg
August 23rd, 2018, 12:34 AM
Just a little blast from the past(it's a brand new documentary/recap) as we enter into the 2018 season. 20 years ago, the Gulf Coast Offense led FAMU to its first NCAA Playoff victory since winning the 1978 National Title. 20 years later, this team, along with 1978 National Title team, will be honored.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaCziVGl054

Big Dawg
August 23rd, 2018, 12:36 AM
A documentary on the 1978 National Title team will be released in September.

WestCoastAggie
August 23rd, 2018, 08:14 AM
WIU should've traveled to Tally, but what ever. I think the MEAC is on its way back to the level it was 20 years ago.

Big Dawg
August 23rd, 2018, 10:33 AM
WIU should've traveled to Tally, but what ever. I think the MEAC is on its way back to the level it was 20 years ago.

Yeah...FAMU should not have had to travel to WIU in the quarterfinals.

I’m looking forward to part two on the 1999 Semifinal team. I’m intrigued to know exactly what was happening on the sideline while we began to collapse in the 4th quarter against Youngstown State.

and I also think the MEAC is on the rise.

3rd Coast Tiger
August 24th, 2018, 03:18 PM
At this time (late 90's) I was dating a Lady Rattler and made the trip to the highest of the seven hills for a few games and fell in love with FAMU. I still proudly hang a FAMU banner in my TSU Tiger room at home.

POD Knows
August 28th, 2018, 07:19 PM
Yeah...FAMU should not have had to travel to WIU in the quarterfinals.

I’m looking forward to part two on the 1999 Semifinal team. I’m intrigued to know exactly what was happening on the sideline while we began to collapse in the 4th quarter against Youngstown State.

and I also think the MEAC is on the rise.Did you play at FAMU

ST_Lawson
August 28th, 2018, 07:53 PM
I remember that game. It was my third year in the Marching Leathernecks, so I was sitting over on the east side of the stadium and had a great view of the visitor's section, which back then was on the south end of the west side stands. I remember there being a TON of FAMU fans there...the best traveling team I'd seen until years later when NDSU joined the conference.
It was actually a really warm day for early December for us. Nearest weather station with records from that date (Galesburg, about an hour north of Macomb) says it was a high of 63 that day (6 degrees short of our record for that date) and the stats page I have says it was 55 at kickoff at 12:30 PM. I seem to remember it being pretty sunny too.

Anyone remember how playoff seeding/hosting was determined back then? We had pretty similar records...I think we had one more loss, but one was against a I-A and we had shut out then #1 Youngstown State 14-0 earlier in the season.

Here's the program from the game: http://collections.carli.illinois.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/wiu_sports/id/4445/show/4444
And here's some of the stats, for anyone curious (for some reason they don't have FAMU's individual stats listed): http://www.mvc.org/football/stats/98/wiu-13.htm

Reign of Terrier
August 28th, 2018, 08:25 PM
I've added this to my watch later playlist.

As you predicted, this thread won't get as much tension as a social media hot take, but I appreciate you posting this!

Bison56
August 29th, 2018, 07:31 AM
Enjoyed the video, thanks for sharing.

Big Dawg
August 29th, 2018, 09:31 AM
Did you play at FAMU

No sir...I quite playing football around my junior or senior year of high school. I’m just a huge fan.

Big Dawg
August 29th, 2018, 09:34 AM
I remember that game. It was my third year in the Marching Leathernecks, so I was sitting over on the east side of the stadium and had a great view of the visitor's section, which back then was on the south end of the west side stands. I remember there being a TON of FAMU fans there...the best traveling team I'd seen until years later when NDSU joined the conference.
It was actually a really warm day for early December for us. Nearest weather station with records from that date (Galesburg, about an hour north of Macomb) says it was a high of 63 that day (6 degrees short of our record for that date) and the stats page I have says it was 55 at kickoff at 12:30 PM. I seem to remember it being pretty sunny too.

Anyone remember how playoff seeding/hosting was determined back then? We had pretty similar records...I think we had one more loss, but one was against a I-A and we had shut out then #1 Youngstown State 14-0 earlier in the season.

Here's the program from the game: http://collections.carli.illinois.edu/cdm/compoundobject/collection/wiu_sports/id/4445/show/4444
And here's some of the stats, for anyone curious (for some reason they don't have FAMU's individual stats listed): http://www.mvc.org/football/stats/98/wiu-13.htm

I remember listening to that game on the radio...I think WIU had the top ranked defense and FAMU brought in the top ranked offense. I recall us moving the ball up and down the field, but that WIU defense not breaking. It was a fun year.

I wish this documentary could’ve gotten a bit deeper into the backstory of that team...chemistry between players and coaches, etc. It was a fun time to be a FAMU fan.

Big Dawg
August 29th, 2018, 09:37 AM

That’s a great question, in regards to playoff seedings. I remember everybody thinking we would have a home in the 2nd round. The first round crowd in Tallahassee was excellent.

ST_Lawson
August 29th, 2018, 09:45 AM
That’s a great question, in regards to playoff seedings. I remember everybody thinking we would have a home in the 2nd round. The first round crowd in Tallahassee was excellent.

If it was today, then likely both FAMU and WIU would have been seeded in the top 8 and would have had first-round byes and hosted the second-round game, beyond that point it would have depended on the seedings. If it was entirely based on bids, then I don't see how WIU could have outbid FAMU in terms of attendance and stuff. We had better attendance than we do now and actually some $ at that point, but we wouldn't have had half of what you guys probably would have had for attendance.

I remember that game was a real nail-biter. I was so excited for the win...only to get crushed 42-14 by Paul Johnson's Georgia Southern Eagles and I-AA great Adrian Peterson down at their place the next weekend.

POD Knows
August 29th, 2018, 10:16 AM
No sir...I quite playing football around my junior or senior year of high school. I’m just a huge fan.I was kind of hoping that there would be a little more about the X's and O's of the offense. I do remember hearing the phrase "RAC boys" back then. I didn't put two and two together regarding FAMU.

Derby City Duke
August 29th, 2018, 12:11 PM
Good story, nicely done. Enjoyed the watch!

Reign of Terrier
August 29th, 2018, 12:24 PM
This was a very good documentary. Glad I watched it and glad you posted it

grizband
August 29th, 2018, 01:36 PM
That’s a great question, in regards to playoff seedings. I remember everybody thinking we would have a home in the 2nd round. The first round crowd in Tallahassee was excellent.If it's anything like playoff seeding in 2000, the teams were all seeded 1-16, with the higher seed always hosting.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

grizband
August 29th, 2018, 01:38 PM
Thanks for sharing this video about FAMU. I was familiar with the 1999 semi final team, but didn't know the story behind the 1998 offensive juggernaut. I always appreciate learning more about FCS history!

ST_Lawson
August 29th, 2018, 02:32 PM
If it's anything like playoff seeding in 2000, the teams were all seeded 1-16, with the higher seed always hosting.

That would make sense then. According to the Playoff History section of our 2018 football media guide/record books (which is the only place that I can seem to find actual seeding #s for 1998), WIU was #4 and FAMU was #5. Also Montana was #13 that year and Georgia Southern was #1.
The full bracket is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_NCAA_Division_I-AA_football_season#Postseason
Although it doesn't show seed numbers.

Lehigh'98
August 29th, 2018, 04:56 PM
That would make sense then. According to the Playoff History section of our 2018 football media guide/record books (which is the only place that I can seem to find actual seeding #s for 1998), WIU was #4 and FAMU was #5. Also Montana was #13 that year and Georgia Southern was #1.
The full bracket is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_NCAA_Division_I-AA_football_season#Postseason
Although it doesn't show seed numbers.

We were 8 yds away from knocking off UMASS this year in qtrs. Fun season.

Big Dawg
August 29th, 2018, 06:02 PM
I was kind of hoping that there would be a little more about the X's and O's of the offense. I do remember hearing the phrase "RAC boys" back then. I didn't put two and two together regarding FAMU.

Coach Billy Joe posts some of concepts on Facebook from time to time. He always allowed his QBs to call all the plays on the field because it helped speed the offense up.

He actually had had a run first offense when he first got to FAMU, but according to a documentary FAMU posted a few years ago, he switched to pass heavy quick pace offense in 1995 against Southern in the Georgia Dome. FAMU was trailing and needed to put up points in a hurry...and the Gulf Coast Offense was born.

grizband
August 29th, 2018, 11:46 PM
Coach Billy Joe posts some of concepts on Facebook from time to time. He always allowed his QBs to call all the plays on the field because it helped speed the offense up.

He actually had had a run first offense when he first got to FAMU, but according to a documentary FAMU posted a few years ago, he switched to pass heavy quick pace offense in 1995 against Southern in the Georgia Dome. FAMU was trailing and needed to put up points in a hurry...and the Gulf Coast Offense was born.Man, if Montana would have beaten Western Illinois in the first round, they would have traveled to FAMU. That would have been fun!

ST_Lawson
August 30th, 2018, 12:19 AM
Man, if Montana would have beaten Western Illinois in the first round, they would have traveled to FAMU. That would have been fun!

That is true, although there wasn't much chance of that happening. We beat you guys 52-9 that game, the biggest margin in a playoff game that season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grizband
August 30th, 2018, 01:04 AM
That is true, although there wasn't much chance of that happening. We beat you guys 52-9 that game, the biggest margin in a playoff game that season.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkOh, I know. Im not sure the griz have ever been beaten that badly in the playoffs, before or since.

IBleedYellow
August 30th, 2018, 09:45 AM
You MEAC and SWAC guys need to start producing teams like this again.

Great watch. Thanks for the post.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk