PDA

View Full Version : Patriot League Pick 'em - Week 1

carney2
August 19th, 2018, 08:54 AM
A little early, but I think we’re ready – and with a League game in the first week.

Saint Francis (PA) @ LEHIGH

GEORGETOWN @ Marist

HOLY CROSS @ COLGATE

LAFAYETTE @ Sacred Heart

William & Mary @ BUCKNELL

FORDHAM @ Charlotte

The League could go 4-1 vs. OOC. We won’t, but we could.

This is a pick-em thread, so do it.

GAME OF THE WEEK: Holy Cross @ Colgate, the only game with title implications.

Lehigh'98
August 19th, 2018, 10:33 AM
4-1. Hahahahahaha. This is the Patriot League.

STFU
Marist
Colgate
SHU
W&M
Fordham

RichH2
August 19th, 2018, 11:34 AM
Thanks Carney. Never too early. 4-1 eh? Not as sanguine as '98 but that would be miraculous.xlovex What the hell. Technically it is still summer ,the time for unwarranted optimism.xdrunkyx

Lehigh It looks from Fall camp that we might actually have a D of sorts. A vast improvement,if true, over the last 5 years

Hoyas one of the few games they have a shot of winning. So why not.

Colgate Holy Cross may be a team on the rise but Gate is already at the top with a talented veteran team

Pards They are not as bad as most think.

W&M They are not a good team but then again Bucknell isnt either. I'll take the bad CAA over the bad PL

Charlotte Also a bad team but Fordham not yet up to a bad FBS yet

3-2 ?? Well possiblexnodx

PAllen
August 19th, 2018, 11:50 AM
I really want to call for a PL sweep, but my brain just won't let me do it. I'll go the other way instead.

GEORGETOWN @ Marist

HOLY CROSS @ COLGATE

LAFAYETTE @ Sacred Heart

FORDHAM @ Charlotte

van
August 19th, 2018, 06:49 PM
Saint Francis (PA) @ LEHIGH, big test against a pretty good NEC team, going with the hope that our D is actually improved and home field

GEORGETOWN @ Marist, surely the Hoyas can take a PFL bottom feeder

HOLY CROSS @ COLGATE, expect Cross to be improved but without Pujols Gate should be too much coming right out of the chute

LAFAYETTE @ Sacred Heart, many new faces for Sacred Heart and Pards are better than most think

William & Mary @ BUCKNELL, don't see the Buffs matching up too will with a CAA team

FORDHAM @ Charlotte, not sure what to expect from Rams but Charlotte is really bad

carney2
August 19th, 2018, 08:24 PM
Saint Francis (PA) @ LEHIGH - Even the DungBrown phantom-D should be able to handle this one.

GEORGETOWN @ Marist – Getting really tired of the Hoyas just hangin’ around and doing nothing with their moribund football program. Patsy teams should be able to beat the Red Foxes, but maybe not woeful Georgetown.

HOLY CROSS @ COLGATE – Bob Chesney may have a bright future in Woo, but it does not begin on September 1, 2018.

LAFAYETTE @ Sacred Heart – Two bottom feeders trying to take a baby step in the right direction. Despite their underdog status, I like the Pards in this one.

William & Mary @ BUCKNELL – A mediocre Tribe team wins one for the Gipper as they get one of their few 2018 Ws for departing coach Laycock. Putting it another way: take a bad CAA team over a bad Patriot League team every time.

FORDHAM @ Charlotte – Who knew (or cared) that Charlotte is an FBS program? Doesn’t matter, the Rams are probably in over their heads.

ngineer
August 19th, 2018, 10:59 PM
SFU will be a good test for Lehigh, but with home field and what is supposed to be an improved D, I have to go with the MHawks, 35-23

Colgate has too much for the Crusaders at this point in the season. Raiders, 33-20

Laughyette has a good opening opponent that is very beatable. Not near a lock, but winnable and I sense Garrett has the team ready. Leotards, 27-17

Bucky may keep it close, but I don't see them with enough firepower. Bill or Mary wins, 31-20.

UNCC may be FBS, but this may be very close. Rams come close, but no cigar, UNCC 35-31

Hoyas have one of their few games where they are at least a toss-up with the Redd Foxes. I will take Gtown, as it may be the only time this year I will. Hoyas, 20-17.

Go...gate
August 20th, 2018, 02:07 AM
Carney, thanks very much for posting this. Getting ready to be a pallbearer at the funeral for one of my very closest friends in about six hours.

I need a little "breather".

Lehigh 33, Saint Francis (PA) 24

Georgetown 19, Marist 14

Colgate 27, Holy Cross 20

Lafayette 24, Sacred Heart 22

William & Mary 31, Bucknell 17

Charlotte 30, Fordham 21

bonarae
August 20th, 2018, 03:01 AM
A little early, but I think we’re ready – and with a League game in the first week.

GEORGETOWN @ Marist

HOLY CROSS @ COLGATE

LAFAYETTE @ Sacred Heart

FORDHAM @ Charlotte

The League could go 4-1 vs. OOC. We won’t, but we could.

This is a pick-em thread, so do it.

Lehigh
Georgetown
Colgate
Sacred Heart
W&M
Fordham

Sent from my LG-H870DS using Tapatalk

Fordham
August 20th, 2018, 09:26 AM
condolences. go...gate

as far as this week goes, time to trot out the "no one ever went broke betting against the PL in the OOC" saying.

since we play for points and not $$'s, though, I will also put on my annual rose(hill) colored lenses and go with:

Lehigh
Gtown
Colgate
Lafayette
W&M
Fordham

Just can't pick any traditional CAA level school to lose to a PL squad, so sorry Bison fans.

Obviously the most interesting game is the one with potential title implications. Why would the league ever have this match up in week 1?!?! I would think that this is a huge disadvantage for HC with a new staff and new systems, both of which mean that HC is likely going to be a much more difficult opponent later in the season than game 1. Unless there's a rationale I'm missing this seems a total bone headed move by whoever set the schedules.

DFW HOYA
August 20th, 2018, 10:07 AM
Obviously the most interesting game is the one with potential title implications. Why would the league ever have this match up in week 1?!?!

Both schools wanted a bye week in October and moving the game off Oct. 20 seemed to be the way to do this.

Instead, HC now gets road games with Colgate and Boston College back to back, followed by home games with Yale and Dartmouth. A rough stretch to open the season.

carney2
August 20th, 2018, 10:20 AM
Oops, and thanks for the reminder:

GAME OF THE WEEK for Week 1 is Holy Cross@ Colgate, the only game with title implications. It may not be competitive and entertaining, but it's the best we have.

Post no. 1 of this thread has been amended accordingly.

Fordham
August 20th, 2018, 10:37 AM
Both schools wanted a bye week in October and moving the game off Oct. 20 seemed to be the way to do this.

Instead, HC now gets road games with Colgate and Boston College back to back, followed by home games with Yale and Dartmouth. A rough stretch to open the season.
Got it, thanks.

So HC has no one to blame but themselves if they lose a close one or end up playing dramatically better by the end of the season than the beginning. I would think Gate likes getting them early and also having the bye so I can see why they'd be in favor.

BucBisonAtLarge
August 20th, 2018, 11:28 AM
Lehigh- though I have no doubt that St. Francis will show up ready to go
Georgetown- The Red Foxes keep their PL season-opening loss on the schedule
Lafayette- Run them around good, Leopards.
Bucknell- I'm as upbeat about this team and this game as I have been in a while, for no particularly compelling reason
Colgate- The Raiders better be ready, but the HC renaissance will likely have a modest start
Fordham- I considered resorting to 100 coin flips, but I lack the attention span. Charlotte is a wretched FBS program. In the end I decided to be a shamelessly pure PL partisan.

Thoughts and prayers, please

jayhawkdaddy
August 20th, 2018, 05:37 PM
Patriot League Pick 'em - Week 1

LEHIGH
Marist
COLGATE
LAFAYETTE
William & Mary
UNC-Charlotte

The Yo Show
August 21st, 2018, 01:37 AM
Saint Francis (PA) @ Lehigh

Georgetown @ Marist

Holy Cross @ Colgate

Lafayette @ Sacred Heart

William & Mary @ Bucknell

Fordham @ Charlotte

UNHWildcat18
August 21st, 2018, 06:08 AM
St. Francis
Georgetown
Colgate
Lafayette
W&M
Charlotte

Bluefish845
August 21st, 2018, 11:20 AM
St. Francis
Georgetown
Colgate
Sacred Heart
W&M
Charlotte

RedFlash
August 21st, 2018, 11:56 AM
St. Francis
Georgetown
Colgate
Sacred Heart
W&M
Charlotte

Ditto.

van
August 21st, 2018, 12:01 PM
Ditto.

very imaginative

LU808
August 21st, 2018, 06:11 PM
St. Francis @ Lehigh (sympathies to all the abused children)
Georgetown @ Marist (no scholarships – no peace)
Holy Cross @ Colgate (co-championship revenge is strong with this one)
Lafayette @ Sacred Heart (underdog saves the day)
William & Mary @ Bucknell (Bison are no Bizon)
Fordham @ Charlotte (Rams don’t quite hush Sweet Charlotte)

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 21st, 2018, 06:53 PM
Lots of people picking St. Francis. If Lehigh loses this one they're likely looking at a 3-4 win season. That might be the end of Coen. This is probably the biggest home opener in Coen's tenure.

van
August 21st, 2018, 07:04 PM
Lots of people picking St. Francis. If Lehigh loses this one they're likely looking at a 3-4 win season. That might be the end of Coen. This is probably the biggest home opener in Coen's tenure.

based on the past few years OOC, not going out too much on a limb with a pick like that

RichH2
August 21st, 2018, 08:07 PM
Boy you two are gloomy. :)
Realistically I see a 2-3 OOC. 5-1 PL record.
Admittedly my definition of realistic might be rather broad.
xdrunkyx

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 21st, 2018, 08:26 PM
Boy you two are gloomy. :)
Realistically I see a 2-3 OOC. 5-1 PL record.
Admittedly my definition of realistic might be rather broad.
xdrunkyx

Penn and St. Francis need to be wins if you have the horses for a winning a season and potentially a 3 peat. The Red Flashes have come along way but c'mon. If you can't make a statement at home against a NEC team then you're not headed in the right direction. I respect St. Francis but they're likely a 3rd or 4th place NEC team. Time to raise the bar.

Princeton might be (will be) better than Villanova. Lehigh can't beat Nova to save their lives.

RichH2
August 21st, 2018, 08:48 PM
Penn and St. Francis need to be wins if you have the horses for a winning a season and potentially a 3 peat. The Red Flashes have come along way but c'mon. If you can't make a statement at home against a NEC team then you're not headed in the right direction. I respect St. Francis but they're likely a 3rd or 4th place NEC team. Time to raise the bar.

Princeton might be (will be) better than Villanova. Lehigh can't beat Nova to save their lives.

Tigers with with Lovett and Dudek are indeed much better than Nova. We might keep both close( not routs) but Ws would mean we have an excellent D. That would be a giant leap. I'm gonna await SFU and see what we have.

Go...gate
August 22nd, 2018, 02:00 AM

Not a chance. Lehigh wins this one.

Go...gate
August 22nd, 2018, 02:04 AM

Disagree. Tigers good but not in the same class with 63 scholarship Villanova.

Princeton has a very productive offense but not much depth. Defense very prone to breakdowns and wearing down physically. Lehigh is the strongest non-conference opponent for the Tigers, who have watered down their OOC schedule considerably in recent years. Engineers definitely have a decent shot here.

van
August 22nd, 2018, 06:30 AM
Princeton is probably the class of the Ivies this year, PL does not often beat the best Ivy team on the road

carney2
August 22nd, 2018, 08:31 AM

Every Patriot league team has something to prove on September 1st:

LEHIGH needs to show that they've found a defense as some of their supporters are saying.
GEORGETOWN has very few shots at a W like this one.
HOLY CROSS could be on the rebound or could be a holy mess. Which?
Is COLGATE what most people predict?
LAFAYETTE cannot let opportunities like this get away if they are to climb out of the toilet.
BUCKNELL is gonna be pretty good according to DFW.
FORDHAM has a chance here.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 22nd, 2018, 08:52 AM

LEHIGH needs to show that they've found a defense as some of their supporters are saying.
LAFAYETTE cannot let opportunities like this get away if they are to climb out of the toilet.

Colgate and Lehigh enter the season with the most pressure. They're the favorites according to most. Both have veteran coaches and some big time talent. Both have also failed far too often when stepping up in class. After that it's a lot of house money. Fordham has a pretty good track record of success. Conlin inherits a team loaded with experience and gets a nice schedule with 6 home games. Holy Cross has been a rudderless ship since Randolph graduated. They just have to survive this year. Lafayette is on the right path but likely a year away from a Top 40 to fringe Top 25 team. I see nothing in Bucknell and Georgetown has too many D3 guys on their roster.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 22nd, 2018, 09:20 AM
Disagree. Tigers good but not in the same class with 63 scholarship Villanova.

Princeton has a very productive offense but not much depth. Defense very prone to breakdowns and wearing down physically. Lehigh is the strongest non-conference opponent for the Tigers, who have watered down their OOC schedule considerably in recent years. Engineers definitely have a decent shot here.

Princeton has better talent on offense than Villanova by a wide margin. 'Nova recruits well but the Tigers talent level is REALLY good right now. Scholarships mean nothing when it comes to comparing teams against the Ivies. The heavy hitters in the Ancient 8 get who the want. I'd take Yale and Princeton over 'Nova this year. I can't wait for the Yale-Mercer game! 'Nova's staff has quite a bit to prove this season. Andy Talley has long left the building....

van
August 22nd, 2018, 11:28 AM

some of us are hopeful of a defense, not quite ready to "say' we have a defense

RichH2
August 22nd, 2018, 12:03 PM
some of us are hopeful of a defense, not quite ready to "say' we have a defense.
Yup. Been down this road too many times . Let's see what we got.

DFW HOYA
August 22nd, 2018, 12:04 PM
I see nothing in Bucknell and Georgetown has too many D3 guys on their roster.

A successful program must recruit, admit, develop, and graduate its players. Georgetown only does three of the four-- they cannot admit the caliber of players that the AI mandates that they do. Those that could legitimately be impact players will look elsewhere.

dbackjon
August 22nd, 2018, 01:05 PM

GEORGETOWN @ Marist

HOLY CROSS @ COLGATE

LAFAYETTE @ Sacred Heart

FORDHAM @ Charlotte

kdinva
August 22nd, 2018, 01:20 PM
Oh, what the ......

Saint Francis (PA) 13 @ LEHIGH 38
GEORGETOWN 21 @ Marist 16
Holy Cross 14 @ COLGATE 42
LAFAYETTE 28 @ Sacred Heart 18
William & Mary 24 @ BUCKNELL 26
Fordham 26 @ UNCC 35

RedFlash
August 22nd, 2018, 03:02 PM
Oh, what the ......

Saint Francis (PA) 13 @ LEHIGH 38

I realize Lehigh's offense is supposed to be pretty good and that I have now jinxed the Red Flash, but I will be shocked if Lehigh scores 38 against them.

Gangtackle11
August 22nd, 2018, 03:27 PM
I realize Lehigh's offense is supposed to be pretty good and that I have now jinxed the Red Flash, but I will be shocked if Lehigh scores 38 against them.

Lehigh is 6 Point fav & the over/under is 65. That would be 35.5 - 29.5. So you’re right. It’s short of 38. xpeacex

Gangtackle11
August 22nd, 2018, 03:52 PM
Lehigh 41 St.Francis 38 (OT)
Marist 10 Georgetown 7
Sacred Heart 14 Lafayette 13
W&M 20 Bucknell 7
Charlotte 24 Fordham 14

RedFlash
August 22nd, 2018, 04:29 PM
Lehigh is 6 Point fav & the over/under is 65. That would be 35.5 - 29.5. So you’re right. It’s short of 38. xpeacex

Where did you find the point spread and over/under?

van
August 22nd, 2018, 08:51 PM
not sure what to make of SFU offense, last year they scored 14 or less in 7 games, while averaging 30+ in the other 4 outings

RichH2
August 22nd, 2018, 09:25 PM
Where did you find the point spread and over/under?

Usual sorce is sportbet.com

RedFlash
August 22nd, 2018, 10:31 PM
Usual sorce is sportbet.com

Thanks

RedFlash
August 22nd, 2018, 10:44 PM
not sure what to make of SFU offense, last year they scored 14 or less in 7 games, while averaging 30+ in the other 4 outings

I think what to make of it is that they just weren't very good last year. They had an injury to their #1 running back and they lacked a true #2 WR - which allowed teams to double team Kam Lewis. The running game should be better, but if they don't have someone step up as a reliable second option in the passing game, it could be similar results.

Southsider
August 23rd, 2018, 06:49 AM

You promise? Program needs a new face. Desperately.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 23rd, 2018, 07:10 AM

Coen is actually a really good face of the program. His downfall appears to be too much loyalty to below average assistants who aren't getting the job done.

UNHWildcat18
August 23rd, 2018, 07:23 AM
I think what to make of it is that they just weren't very good last year. They had an injury to their #1 running back and they lacked a true #2 WR - which allowed teams to double team Kam Lewis. The running game should be better, but if they don't have someone step up as a reliable second option in the passing game, it could be similar results.

Don't worry, your number 2 wide receiver will shine against the LU Defense, or lack there of.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 23rd, 2018, 07:54 AM
Don't worry, your number 2 wide receiver will shine against the LU Defense, or lack there of.

It's the backup RB that usually has a career day against the Lehigh defense. Pass "D" should be decent to actually pretty good.

RichH2
August 23rd, 2018, 12:55 PM
Coen is actually a really good face of the program. His downfall appears to be too much loyalty to below average assistants who aren't getting the job done.
Yup. Overall Andy's assts have been good. The bad ones have stayed on too too long. He has had catastrophic hires on D at DC from Coach K's departure to Stanford until Sutyak. Kashurba has to be the best we've had on D in quite a while. He and Sutyak have upgraded D schemes and coaching.Kashurba reminds me of Gilmore . Fiery and intense. Hopeful we'll see a D this year.
Consistent with other NEC rosters I've scanned, SFU has big OLmen. Also very tall WRs and TEs. Lots of 6'7" and 6'4" players. Kam a matchup nightmare.

van
August 23rd, 2018, 02:00 PM
Yup. Overall Andy's assts have been good. The bad ones have stayed on too too long. He has had catastrophic hires on D at DC from Coach K's departure to Stanford until Sutyak. Kashurba has to be the best we've had on D in quite a while. He and Sutyak have upgraded D schemes and coaching.Kashurba reminds me of Gilmore . Fiery and intense. Hopeful we'll see a D this year.
Consistent with other NEC rosters I've scanned, SFU has big OLmen. Also very tall WRs and TEs. Lots of 6'7" and 6'4" players. Kam a matchup nightmare.

we've never had a problem before with big tall WRs, have we Rich? xsmiley_wix

RichH2
August 23rd, 2018, 02:55 PM
we've never had a problem before with big tall WRs, have we Rich? xsmiley_wix
True a real bonus when they play for Lehigh. :) Otherwise, our bevy of 5'9 DBs have had some little trouble with them. xshhhx xwhistlex

To be fair with Harris and Wilson we do have slightly better matchups.

DFW HOYA
August 23rd, 2018, 07:04 PM

The way some of these posts go, you'd think Lehigh hadn't posted a winning season since 2008 or hadn't won four PL titles this decade.

For the record, the five year records of the Studious Seven:

Fordham: 50-23 (.684)
Lehigh: 41-27 (.602)
Colgate: 38-33 (.535)
----
Bucknell 30-36 (.454)
Holy Cross 23-45 (.338)
Lafayette 21-46 (.313)
Georgetown: 18-48 (.272)

cx500d
August 23rd, 2018, 07:08 PM
The way some of these posts go, you'd think Lehigh hadn't posted a winning season since 2008 or hadn't won four PL titles this decade.

Or had a 5-7 record while winning the PL title....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PAllen
August 23rd, 2018, 11:15 PM

I would put the LU D in the 30+ category.

PAllen
August 23rd, 2018, 11:16 PM

How many new defensive assistants has he had in the last 5 years? I don't think loyalty is his problem.

Fordham
August 23rd, 2018, 11:19 PM

For the record, the five year records of the Studious Seven:

Fordham: 50-23 (.684)
Lehigh: 41-27 (.602)
Colgate: 38-33 (.535)
----
Bucknell 30-36 (.454)
Holy Cross 23-45 (.338)
Lafayette 21-46 (.313)
Georgetown: 18-48 (.272)

Awesome! I love it when you defend Lehigh

RichH2
August 24th, 2018, 08:49 AM
How many new defensive assistants has he had in the last 5 years? I don't think loyalty is his problem.

Yeah, it is a major factor. He elevated Wilcher and Roberts to CD. Fired Wilcher ( Andy fires top assts by 1st getting them another job.Here with Ike Collins at SetonHill). Then kept Roberts. Demoted Roberts but kept him as DL coach . Then brought in Coach Botts, a prior LU DC. Retired him to a consulting job with staff. Finally put Sutyak in who promptly hired Kashurba. Suits may be inexperienced at DC but smart enough to bring in an experienced coach in Kashurba. The most important feat for Sutyak tho was turning around D recruiting since he came to Lehigh. He has mined Central and Western Pa excellently for good players.

Southsider
August 24th, 2018, 05:33 PM
Yeah, it is a major factor. He elevated Wilcher and Roberts to CD. Fired Wilcher ( Andy fires top assts by 1st getting them another job.Here with Ike Collins at SetonHill). Then kept Roberts. Demoted Roberts but kept him as DL coach . Then brought in Coach Botts, a prior LU DC. Retired him to a consulting job with staff. Finally put Sutyak in who promptly hired Kashurba. Suits may be inexperienced at DC but smart enough to bring in an experienced coach in Kashurba. The most important feat for Sutyak tho was turning around D recruiting since he came to Lehigh. He has mined Central and Western Pa excellently for good players.

Too much loyalty and lack of coaching smarts! Now we wait. Honestly, I really do hope things turn around. I can handle losses to better clubs, but not the beat downs we have seen over the last few years.

RichH2
August 24th, 2018, 08:33 PM
Too much loyalty and lack of coaching smarts! Now we wait. Honestly, I really do hope things turn around. I can handle losses to better clubs, but not the beat downs we have seen over the last few years.

Regardless of titles last 5 yrs have not been pleasant for any of us. Someone said a while back that our D would be better but our O not quite as good.
Seems fairly accurate at this point. A very tough OOC with 3 probable Ls in Nova Navy and Princeton. It has been a long time since we got a real upset W. Think its important for us to get one this year. It will set the tone for the season.

ngineer
August 24th, 2018, 09:41 PM
It's the backup RB that usually has a career day against the Lehigh defense. Pass "D" should be decent to actually pretty good.

As in the secondary, which is fairly experience and has some talent. The key to our pass D, as in most, is whether we get any kind of pressure on the QB, which we have not done for a couple years. No secondary, regardless of talent can be asked to cover tight for more than six seconds all the time.

ngineer
August 24th, 2018, 09:51 PM
Regardless of titles last 5 yrs have not been pleasant for any of us. Someone said a while back that our D would be better but our O not quite as good.
Seems fairly accurate at this point. A very tough OOC with 3 probable Ls in Nova Navy and Princeton. It has been a long time since we got a real upset W. Think its important for us to get one this year. It will set the tone for the season.

Very true. I am trying to think of the last 'big' win when we were decided underdog. Villanova or UNH a few years back?

RichH2
August 24th, 2018, 10:25 PM
[/B][/U]Very true. I am trying to think of the last 'big' win when we were decided underdog. Villanova or UNH a few years back?
Last was UNH in '13. The year after the game with the UNH miracle catch.smh

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 24th, 2018, 10:31 PM
Last was UNH in '13. The year after the game with the UNH miracle catch.smh

The catch/OT loss was in 2011. That was Lehigh's only regular season loss that year.

2012 Lehigh beat Liberty down there in a thriller. Colvin ran up the middle for a 60+ yard TD to win it....

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 25th, 2018, 06:31 AM
Lehigh and Navy were suppose to play today. And I wish they were to get it over with....

Fordham
August 25th, 2018, 07:18 AM
Lehigh and Navy were suppose to play today. And I wish they were to get it over with....
Would have been much better now than later, agreed

Saw a practice for Fordham. Love the new staff! Think we are light and inexperienced on both lines and that will make things extremely difficult against FBS athletes, regardless of what level. Long term I do think the staff could be a special one

RichH2
August 25th, 2018, 11:50 AM

Yup. W and I had hotel reservations all set. Oh well. Now SFU. A must win with a good D showing .

carney2
August 26th, 2018, 07:39 AM
Doom and gloom coming out of Lafayette camp with one week to go. Is it real, or have we just been conditioned to expect the worst? Anyway:

The offensive line is falling apart (again) with at least 3 injuries so far. This would mark the 9th consecutive year with no OL, and at least 6 of those have used injuries as an excuse. Quality programs see a problem and fix it. They don't let it go on, and on, and ...

Sophomore Sean O'Malley supposedly is the number one QB for the moment and threw 3 interceptions in a recent practice. Freshman phenom Troy Fisher is running with the 3rd or 4th team.

No running game has emerged so far.

PAllen
August 26th, 2018, 08:21 AM
Doom and gloom coming out of Lafayette camp with one week to go. Is it real, or have we just been conditioned to expect the worst? Anyway:

The offensive line is falling apart (again) with at least 3 injuries so far. This would mark the 9th consecutive year with no OL, and at least 6 of those have used injuries as an excuse. Quality programs see a problem and fix it. They don't let it go on, and on, and ...

Sophomore Sean O'Malley supposedly is the number one QB for the moment and threw 3 interceptions in a recent practice. Freshman phenom Troy Fisher is running with the 3rd or 4th team.

No running game has emerged so far.

So your D is awesome.

carney2
August 26th, 2018, 09:52 AM
So your D is awesome.

That is, of course, one explanation.

ColgateTD
August 26th, 2018, 11:31 AM
Engineers
Hoyas
Red Raiders
Leopards
Bill & Mary
Rams

World
August 26th, 2018, 02:56 PM

GEORGETOWN @ Marist

HOLY CROSS @ COLGATE

LAFAYETTE @ Sacred Heart

FORDHAM @ Charlotte

RichH2
August 27th, 2018, 12:05 PM
week 1 will ,I hope, show us that PL is moving in the right direction. 4 Ws will be a real plus. xdrunkyx xcrazyx xhypedx

TheValleyRaider
August 27th, 2018, 03:35 PM
Back again for another year of PL picking. Thanks to carney, as always, for giving us this central location to make fools of ourselves and lament the ongoing season. But enough of long-winded existentialism, let's get to some football!

Saint Francis at Lehigh Lehigh The defending champions are back, looking to grab their first OOC win since 2016. Last year's offensive defense kept Lehigh from national noise, and while rumors abound that the Hawks are improved on that side of the ball, it may need to be seen to be truly believed. The Red Flash are a capable program not afraid to test themselves nationally, which could pay dividends in the little town. So why take the Hawks? Programs tend to revert to their means, and Lehigh's mean is pretty respectable, or at least more so than a year ago. Hawks win, but whether or not they are "back" remains to be seen in bigger games.

Georgetown at Marist Georgetown A suddenly regular meeting over the last decade plus, the Foxes have had a little more success against the Hoyas than their traditional league rivals in Lewisburg (4 wins in 11 is better than 1 in 13, even in Liberal-Arts-major math). MAAC nostalgia aside, this is a crucial game for the Hoyas as it represents one of their few chances at a victory, at least based on what we know now. The games have been close over the last couple of years as Marist improves, but Georgetown hasn't lost in their last 3 trips to the east bank of the Hudson. Taking the Hoyas, though don't feel as good about it as I would like.

Holy Cross at Colgate Colgate Raiders return as the league-favorite, which is not undeserved based on what returns. What also returns, though, is an offense that took awhile (and the weaker part of the schedule) to really get going. Lots of talent sure, so this game represents an opportunity to get going quickly. Crusaders have a new head man (the 3rd in as many games for HC in this matchup) whose lower-level accomplishments deserve notice. Recruiting and record suggest Holy Cross may well be in the title race in the next couple of seasons, this is a tough ask for opening day. As you have no doubt heard, Colgate needed a very late score to escape with a win the last time they opened the season with a PL game. That season, 2003, turned out pretty well. Here's hoping for an encore.

Lafayette at Sacred Heart Sacred Heart I almost took the Leopards here, believing the program capable (in the right hands) of contending for a title. That's probably not this year's team, and it's still too early to rate the Garrett regime, but a title-contending Lafayette team would beat Sacred Heart. Who am I kidding, though, as a title-contending Lafayette might well lose to the Pioneers before bouncing back to beat a team they had no business competing with. I want to believe in a PL team this point of the season, but they've lost 3 straight to SHU, including last year in Easton.

William & Mary at Bucknell William & Mary This is a nice matchup for the Bison and Joe Susan, who is suddenly second longest-tenured coach in the League. Hard to see much change for Bucknell coming into this year, a tough defense mixed with a sketchy (at best) attack. This makes them a tough out, especially early in the year, and I'm not sure yet how to rate the Tribe. They are probably better, probably should be better, but have been under .500 the last two years. Jimmye Laycock's farewell tour probably gives them a boost, enough to start the season with a win. But still, go Bison.

Fordham at Charlotte Charlotte I'm fairly bullish on Fordham this year, if only because changing the coach seems to be the right move in the Bronx. Charlotte is also, to be blunt, terrible. Edmunds' departure hurts, and results were suboptimal last year, so I'm not sure comparisons to the team that knocked off Army a few years back would be warrented at this point. As usual with FBS games, it'll probably be hard to learn much of anything from this game, but hopefully the Rams enjoy the trip.

RichH2
August 27th, 2018, 04:23 PM
Back again for another year of PL picking. Thanks to carney, as always, for giving us this central location to make fools of ourselves and lament the ongoing season. But enough of long-winded existentialism, let's get to some football!

Saint Francis at Lehigh Lehigh The defending champions are back, looking to grab their first OOC win since 2016. Last year's offensive defense kept Lehigh from national noise, and while rumors abound that the Hawks are improved on that side of the ball, it may need to be seen to be truly believed. The Red Flash are a capable program not afraid to test themselves nationally, which could pay dividends in the little town. So why take the Hawks? Programs tend to revert to their means, and Lehigh's mean is pretty respectable, or at least more so than a year ago. Hawks win, but whether or not they are "back" remains to be seen in bigger games.

Georgetown at Marist Georgetown A suddenly regular meeting over the last decade plus, the Foxes have had a little more success against the Hoyas than their traditional league rivals in Lewisburg (4 wins in 11 is better than 1 in 13, even in Liberal-Arts-major math). MAAC nostalgia aside, this is a crucial game for the Hoyas as it represents one of their few chances at a victory, at least based on what we know now. The games have been close over the last couple of years as Marist improves, but Georgetown hasn't lost in their last 3 trips to the east bank of the Hudson. Taking the Hoyas, though don't feel as good about it as I would like.

Holy Cross at Colgate Colgate Raiders return as the league-favorite, which is not undeserved based on what returns. What also returns, though, is an offense that took awhile (and the weaker part of the schedule) to really get going. Lots of talent sure, so this game represents an opportunity to get going quickly. Crusaders have a new head man (the 3rd in as many games for HC in this matchup) whose lower-level accomplishments deserve notice. Recruiting and record suggest Holy Cross may well be in the title race in the next couple of seasons, this is a tough ask for opening day. As you have no doubt heard, Colgate needed a very late score to escape with a win the last time they opened the season with a PL game. That season, 2003, turned out pretty well. Here's hoping for an encore.

Lafayette at Sacred Heart Sacred Heart I almost took the Leopards here, believing the program capable (in the right hands) of contending for a title. That's probably not this year's team, and it's still too early to rate the Garrett regime, but a title-contending Lafayette team would beat Sacred Heart. Who am I kidding, though, as a title-contending Lafayette might well lose to the Pioneers before bouncing back to beat a team they had no business competing with. I want to believe in a PL team this point of the season, but they've lost 3 straight to SHU, including last year in Easton.

William & Mary at Bucknell William & Mary This is a nice matchup for the Bison and Joe Susan, who is suddenly second longest-tenured coach in the League. Hard to see much change for Bucknell coming into this year, a tough defense mixed with a sketchy (at best) attack. This makes them a tough out, especially early in the year, and I'm not sure yet how to rate the Tribe. They are probably better, probably should be better, but have been under .500 the last two years. Jimmye Laycock's farewell tour probably gives them a boost, enough to start the season with a win. But still, go Bison.

Fordham at Charlotte Charlotte I'm fairly bullish on Fordham this year, if only because changing the coach seems to be the right move in the Bronx. Charlotte is also, to be blunt, terrible. Edmunds' departure hurts, and results were suboptimal last year, so I'm not sure comparisons to the team that knocked off Army a few years back would be warrented at this point. As usual with FBS games, it'll probably be hard to learn much of anything from this game, but hopefully the Rams enjoy the trip.

Well done. And existentionalism is encouraged on our threads. Agree on Fordham. Dont think it will be as bad as Duquesne but wont be a W.

crusader11
August 28th, 2018, 08:14 AM

GEORGETOWN @ Marist

HOLY CROSS @ COLGATE

LAFAYETTE @ Sacred Heart

FORDHAM @ Charlotte

RichH2
August 28th, 2018, 11:20 AM
2 deeps dropping today. Lehigh up right now. O starters took more hits on the OL. Evans out at C injured not likely back for a while. More frosh up on 2 deep than I expected. Some scary, most good.
D shows a lot of position switches. Some surprise with frosh. Rakowsky took 2 slot at SS and Seighman switched from OLB(R) to FS , his natural position. No frosh DL is a surprise . Particularly Rybka. Montgomery CB out injury.

van
August 28th, 2018, 12:18 PM
OL is getting worrisome, 3 starters to replace from last year and now 2 starters MIA

RichH2
August 28th, 2018, 01:17 PM
OL is getting worrisome, 3 starters to replace from last year and now 2 starters MIA

Other than Maciejewski and Fest 2s are squad RWOs.xtroublexxtroublex

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 28th, 2018, 01:35 PM

Major issue at this point. Overall, Lehigh has traditionally had good to very good OL play thanks to solid recruiting and very good coaching (Coen's specialty). But without redshirting they're now forced to throw guys to the wolves. Having a frosh start along the OL is quite common in the PL but having them litter your two deep is a bit concerning. Fordham, Lehigh and Lafayette are in a similar boat heading into Saturday. Like Lehigh, the Rams have recruited well in the trenches but an extra year to bulk up would do the freshman a world of good.

PAllen
August 28th, 2018, 04:03 PM
Major issue at this point. Overall, Lehigh has traditionally had good to very good OL play thanks to solid recruiting and very good coaching (Coen's specialty). But without redshirting they're now forced to throw guys to the wolves. Having a frosh start along the OL is quite common in the PL but having them litter your two deep is a bit concerning. Fordham, Lehigh and Lafayette are in a similar boat heading into Saturday. Like Lehigh, the Rams have recruited well in the trenches but an extra year to bulk up would do the freshman a world of good.

But if it's injuries, we would just be burning redshirts anyway

RichH2
August 28th, 2018, 04:23 PM
But if it's injuries, we would just be burning redshirts anyway

Well we dont have them anyway. Frosh on OL has been very rare under Andy up until last year. A major factor for starting Evans and Fournier was simply their ability. This year Gurth starting because of the loss of Motley and O'Carroll. Hopefully he is as ready as they were.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 28th, 2018, 04:32 PM
Well we dont have them anyway. Frosh on OL has been very rare under Andy up until last year. A major factor for starting Evans and Fournier was simply their ability. This year Gurth starting because of the loss of Motley and O'Carroll. Hopefully he is as ready as they were.

You also can redshirt based on need/class depth. The whole dynamic changes. 2-4 redshirt linemen each recruiting class would provide much greater depth year to year.

If each PL program could redshirt 4 OL, 3 DL and 1 QB each recruiting class it would be a tremendous boost imo. And that's still nothing relative to other programs.

RichH2
August 28th, 2018, 05:00 PM
You also can redshirt based on need/class depth. The whole dynamic changes. 2-4 redshirt linemen each recruiting class would provide much greater depth year to year.

If each PL program could redshirt 4 OL, 3 DL and 1 QB each recruiting class it would be a tremendous boost imo. And that's still nothing relative to other programs.

Preaching to the choir. PL should permit at least limited non medical redshirts. A start would be 5 per year or a rolling 4 yr avg of 20. Problem as usual is the expense at the start of that process is an obstacle for some schools. I sense academic " I dont wanna" pressure has been an issue with some Presidents.

van
August 28th, 2018, 07:27 PM

that's 8 non-productive scholarships and 10% of the roster

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 28th, 2018, 07:43 PM
that's 8 non-productive scholarships and 10% of the roster

And for those 8 non-productive scholarships I can find 8 current ones on the roster due to dead weight. The reason things seem so out of whack % wise is the limited roster spots. The addition of scholarships has been nice on the surface but there's no question the PL is fighting an uphill battle with the roster size limitations and the red shirt rule.

Everyone outside of Colgate has serious depth issues. Colgate has depth this season because they return so many healthy starters. The Raiders were clobbering teams down the stretch last year so they were able to work guys in and get them reps. Their team this year is a lot like Lehigh in 2011 and Fordham in 2014.

Go...gate
August 28th, 2018, 08:31 PM

Sounds like a very good, common-sense suggestion, Go Lehigh TU owl.

van
August 28th, 2018, 09:10 PM
And for those 8 non-productive scholarships I can find 8 current ones on the roster due to dead weight. The reason things seem so out of whack % wise is the limited roster spots. The addition of scholarships has been nice on the surface but there's no question the PL is fighting an uphill battle with the roster size limitations and the red shirt rule.

Everyone outside of Colgate has serious depth issues. Colgate has depth this season because they return so many healthy starters. The Raiders were clobbering teams down the stretch last year so they were able to work guys in and get them reps. Their team this year is a lot like Lehigh in 2011 and Fordham in 2014.

so 16 is now 20% of the roster, I agree that roster limitation makes no sense at all, hell we can't get to the roster limit anyway, how does the CAA get so many walk-ons with only 3 more rides? maybe has something to do with $$$

DFW HOYA
August 28th, 2018, 09:14 PM
You also can redshirt based on need/class depth. The whole dynamic changes. 2-4 redshirt linemen each recruiting class would provide much greater depth year to year. If each PL program could redshirt 4 OL, 3 DL and 1 QB each recruiting class it would be a tremendous boost imo. And that's still nothing relative to other programs.

Realistically though, the presidents need some sort of clear and present uncertainty to change the rules.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 28th, 2018, 09:17 PM
so 16 is now 20% of the roster, I agree that roster limitation makes no sense at all, hell we can't get to the roster limit anyway, how does the CAA get so many walk-ons with only 3 more rides? maybe has something to do with $$$

I have no idea how some of these programs do it. I looked at JMU's roster and they have redshirt guys out the wazoo....

RichH2
August 28th, 2018, 09:56 PM
I have no idea how some of these programs do it. I looked at JMU's roster and they have redshirt guys out the wazoo....

At base PL problem with rosters is money . Astronomical tuition. We could expand with need aid not being restricted by schollie cap but the cost would be prohibitive for some schools. Yes they are just getting same aid as all other students but academics will bitch that football is taking their money for football players.
Looking at rosters in CAA they are not for most substantially larger than PL teams.
Lehigh's problem is we lost some players and gave out a lot of full rides in the last 2 classes. A perfect storm hitting the roster.

Leopard Loyalist
August 29th, 2018, 10:56 AM

GEORGETOWN @ Marist

HOLY CROSS @ COLGATE

LAFAYETTE @ Sacred Heart

FORDHAM @ Charlotte

Lehigh Football Nation
August 31st, 2018, 03:01 PM
Two days without a post here? I was about to file a missing persons report, or worse, actually put this thread up on the Lehigh Sports Forum.

I'm working on my game breakdown now for SFU and I'll post it here and my picks when I'm finished.

DFW HOYA
August 31st, 2018, 03:13 PM
2018 Patsy Ratings were DOA, I figured.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 31st, 2018, 03:16 PM
2018 Patsy Ratings were DOA, I suppose.

I had something started but I never got to finishing it due to all the site responsibilities I was juggling this offseason. If enough are interested I could maybe straggle something together and release it quietly on Lehigh's bye week.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 31st, 2018, 05:02 PM
St. Francis Game Breakdown and Fearless Prediction:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com/2018/08/2018-week-1-st-francis-pa-game.html

My picks:

Lehigh
G'Town
Colgate
Sacred Heart
Bill and Mary
UNC-Charlotte

bluefish
August 31st, 2018, 05:14 PM
LeHigh Marist (alot of redshirts) Gate Sacred Heart Wm and Mary 49ers

Bill
August 31st, 2018, 11:52 PM
Saint Francis (PA) @ LEHIGH -gosh I hope so. I am still awaiting a change in defense....
GEORGETOWN @ Marist - this one's for DFW. I would like to see GTown win....really.

HOLY CROSS @ COLGATE - can "hate the 'gate", but never pick against them!xbowx

LAFAYETTE @ Sacred Heart - just because I went to Lehigh.

William & Mary @ BUCKNELL - I will be more shocked and appalled then Claude Raines if Bucknell wins here.

FORDHAM @ Charlotte - would love to pick the Boogie Down (I do have relatives that went there too), but I think a lousy FBS still beats a mediocre FCS. We'll see.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 1st, 2018, 12:21 AM
CSJ Preview: Holy Cross at Colgate

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/csjs-2018-week-1-game-preview-holy-cross-at-colgate/

carney2
September 1st, 2018, 08:50 AM
Preaching to the choir. PL should permit at least limited non medical redshirts. A start would be 5 per year or a rolling 4 yr avg of 20. Problem as usual is the expense at the start of that process is an obstacle for some schools. I sense academic " I dont wanna" pressure has been an issue with some Presidents.

Again and again we go through this. Of the 6 Patsies who try to do football (not Georgetown, obviously), only the two with viable graduate schools - and particularly graduate schools of business - could make this work. They would have an overwhelming and insurmountable advantage over the other 4

RichH2
September 1st, 2018, 09:25 AM
Again and again we go through this. Of the 6 Patsies who try to do football (not Georgetown, obviously), only the two with viable graduate schools - and particularly graduate schools of business - could make this work. They would have an overwhelming and insurmountable advantage over the other 4

Not really Carney. In order to have NCAA redshirting PL would have to adopt NCAA definition for undergraduate eligibility redshirt rules. 5 years for 4 undergraduate years. Plus the 4 game participation cap in any one season.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 10:50 AM
Lehigh by 10-14
Colgate by a 10-14
Marist by 7-10
W&M by 20+
Charlotte by 3-10
Lafayette by 14-20

carney2
September 1st, 2018, 11:02 AM
Not really Carney. In order to have NCAA redshirting PL would have to adopt NCAA definition for undergraduate eligibility redshirt rules. 5 years for 4 undergraduate years. Plus the 4 game participation cap in any one season.

Yes, really, Rich. At Lehigh and Fordham kids could pursue their normal four year programs and then move into an MBA program at the same school. At the other 4 schools (again, ignoring Georgetown because we're talking about football) they would have to put their lives on hold as they turn a four year degree into a five year grind. A sacrifice that some will not be willing to make.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 11:37 AM
Brad Mayes will be suspended for the 1st quarter for "academic reasons". That's not the best start to the year....

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 11:45 AM
Lehigh was driving then Bragalone fumbled at the SFU 20. Defense starts with a 3 and out...

Franks Tanks
September 1st, 2018, 11:48 AM
Yes, really, Rich. At Lehigh and Fordham kids could pursue their normal four year programs and then move into an MBA program at the same school. At the other 4 schools (again, ignoring Georgetown because we're talking about football) they would have to put their lives on hold as they turn a four year degree into a five year grind. A sacrifice that some will not be willing to make.

A few things

- a redshirt gets a kid an extra semester, not a full extra year ( in most cases). It’s essentially 9 semesters.

- the vast majority of kids playing in that 9th semester are still finishing up their undergrad degree. Many regular students need an extra semester to finish anyway at a lot of schools... the fact that nearly everyone graduates in 4 years from our schools is not at all typical. Spending one more semester to finish ones undergrad degree is normal and not a big deal.

- you can be enrolled in grad school if warranted. Being an undergrad is really immaterial, the kid simply needs to be a full time student.. doesn’t matter if it’s a grad or undergrad program.

It is possible that schools with larger grad programs can use that as a redshirting selling point, but not sure if that makes that large if a difference.

Overall it probably wouldn’t matter either.

LU808
September 1st, 2018, 11:49 AM
Mayes - way to let your team mates down. No wonder he wasn't selected as Captain.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 11:55 AM
TD SFU..

7-0 Red Flash 6:43 1Q

So far..
- Mayes is suspended for the 1st quarter
- Lehigh starts with a delay of game on the 1st play from scrimmage
- Bragalone fumbles
- Defense gets torced

TheValleyRaider
September 1st, 2018, 12:06 PM
Kickoff in Hamilton, 81st meeting between Colgate and Holy Cross

2018 is underway :)

LU808
September 1st, 2018, 12:07 PM
Bragalone has no chance at the Payton award if LU doesn't have a decent season. Mayes suspension will play a part.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 12:08 PM
Bragalone has no chance at the Payton award if LU doesn't have a decent season. Mayes suspension will play a part.

If nothing else I thought Monaco looked good if he needs to play as the season goes along. OL showing some promise. I think they'll start scoring so long as they avoid mistakes. SFU has athletes on D...

TheValleyRaider
September 1st, 2018, 12:16 PM
QB stripped, picked up and run in by John Steffen! Touchdown Raiders!

Holy Cross 0
Colgate 7
9:13 1st

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 12:19 PM
TD Lehigh!! Bragalone absolutely roasted a SFU DB on the 52 yard run....

7-7 10:14 2Q

TheValleyRaider
September 1st, 2018, 12:27 PM
First offensive TD of the season, Breneman finds Holland downfield, takes it to the house!!

Holy Cross 0
Colgate 14
7:36 1st

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 12:30 PM
SFU kicks a 41 yard FG to retake the lead. LU DL much better this year so far. SFU playing tough. Good game....

10-7 Red Flash 5:36 2Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 12:41 PM
Lehigh takes the lead on Brag's 2nd TD of the day!

14-10 Lehigh 1:05 2Q

TheValleyRaider
September 1st, 2018, 12:44 PM
Raiders driving, just converted a 4th and 1 deep in HC territory

Holy Cross 0
Colgate 14
End 1st

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 12:47 PM
Lehigh 14 St. Francis 10 Half

Overall a good first half for Lehigh. The defense has looked very good minus a couple missed played balls on 50/50 passes. The skill players are making plays and the OL is winning the LOS.

TheValleyRaider
September 1st, 2018, 12:49 PM
Breneman finds Rockett, another Raider TD!!!

Holy Cross 0
Colgate 21
14:10 2nd

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 01:06 PM
Some interesting stats from the 1st half
Lehigh 104 yards passing, 104 yards rushing
SFU 30 yards rushing

TheValleyRaider
September 1st, 2018, 01:19 PM
Long drive ends with a Puzzi FG, 36 yards off the upright and in

Holy Cross 0
Colgate 24
0:31 2nd

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 01:23 PM
SFU puts together a grinding 10 minute drive to start the 2nd half that ends in a FG

14-13 Hawks

TheValleyRaider
September 1st, 2018, 01:25 PM
Holy Cross 0
Colgate 24
Halftime

Raiders looking good, especially on defense. 3 turnovers so far, Crusaders with 104 yards of offense. TOP is 2-to-1 in Colgate's favor as well. Looking good, need to finish the job

Hunt says they need to establish the run more, not clean enough yet

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 01:31 PM
TD Lehigh!! Bragalone with his 3rd TD of the day!!

21-13 Lehigh 2:02 3Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 01:45 PM
Mayes is stripped near the goal line then SFU recovers the ball in the end zone. Defense stops the 2 pt try!

21-19 Lehigh 14:!3 4Q

Fordham
September 1st, 2018, 01:49 PM
Owl, I’m not watching. How good is St Francis?

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 01:52 PM
Owl, I’m not watching. How good is St Francis?

They're solid! Houston transfer at QB and some MAC level talent on defense.

TheValleyRaider
September 1st, 2018, 02:09 PM
HC hits a short FG to get on the board. Drive set up after stripping Daramy-Swarai on a punt return

Holy Cross 3
Colgate 24
5:56 3rd

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 02:10 PM
SFU ball around mid field down 1..and the video feed is down....not good....

LU808
September 1st, 2018, 02:13 PM
Villanova beats Temple 19-17.......next week will be tough.....real tough.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 02:18 PM
SFU at the Lehigh 21 yard line with 50 second left...ugh

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 02:20 PM
Lehigh blocks the FG!! They'll hold on for the win!! Wooohoo...they needed that!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 02:22 PM
Lehigh 21 Saint Francis 19 Final

Mountain Hawks showed some real toughness in the trenches. Defense played well. Turnovers really kept the Red Flash in the game. SFU should be a player in the NEC. They have some legit FBS level talent.

Lehigh needed to be more aggressive on "O". They were too conservative in the second half with running Brags. Take a shot. The refs were flag happy in the secondary.

TheValleyRaider
September 1st, 2018, 02:25 PM
Holy Cross 3
Colgate 24
End 3rd

HC still playing very tough, controlled the quarter for the most part. Getting some traction on offense, and their defense has been strong in the 2nd half. Raiders about to punt from deep in their territory.

RichH2
September 1st, 2018, 02:25 PM
A win. Hair raising game. OL patchwork hurt today. Right side virtually non existent. Need Evans back ASAP.
D is indeed better.Not quite good yet but a 100% better than any we saw last year. Bottomline only gave up 13 points.

RichH2
September 1st, 2018, 02:28 PM

Mountain Hawks showed some real toughness in the trenches. Defense played well. Turnovers really kept the Red Flash in the game. SFU should be a player in the NEC. They have some legit FBS level talent.

Lehigh needed to be more aggressive on "O". They were too conservative in the second half with running Brags. Take a shot. The refs were flag happy in the secondary.

That is the OL. We couldnt run off thr right side with much success. Sub OC just woefully slow. Couldnt make his blocks on passes. Also limited long passes or slow developing plays.

TheValleyRaider
September 1st, 2018, 02:33 PM
Crusaders find the end zone, 41 yards from Clifford to Cozier

Holy Cross 10
Colgate 24
13:41 4th

TheValleyRaider
September 1st, 2018, 02:53 PM
Cozier finishes the drive punching it in, TD for HC. This game has completely changed in the 2nd half. Offense hasn't done anything so far, and the defense is getting worn out. Need a drive and a score here.

Holy Cross 17
Colgate 24
6:59 4th

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 1st, 2018, 02:59 PM
Not a fan of Lehigh's fans. Inconsiderate and snobby.

TheValleyRaider
September 1st, 2018, 03:06 PM
Big play in the game, Colgate goes for it on 4th and 9 at the HC 35, downfield to Buscaglia with a huge catch inside the 10!

First and goal Colgate, no timeouts left for HC

TheValleyRaider
September 1st, 2018, 03:10 PM
Raiders run out the clock, survive in Week 1

Holy Cross 17
Colgate 24
Final

TheValleyRaider
September 1st, 2018, 03:14 PM
Tale of two halves, Crusaders were in good position to pull that out, but a gutsy drive by the Raiders finished it off.

Offense still inconsistent, benefitted from some short fields provided by the defense. Defense looked strong early, though they were worn down at the end.

HC certainly played with some fire all day. Not sure they're quite as talented as the top of the League, but it would not be hard to see a younger team competing as early as next year. They might ruin someone's year if they continue to get better.

Don't want to overreact much to Week 1, lots of improvement to come before next week. Happy to get out with the "W," and UNH beckons

RichH2
September 1st, 2018, 03:19 PM

Sorry Knight. Most of our fans are very cordial.

DFW HOYA
September 1st, 2018, 03:23 PM

The Red Raiders always survive in September, but prevail in November. A solid win.

cx500d
September 1st, 2018, 03:27 PM
Good job Colgate.....

van
September 1st, 2018, 03:58 PM

exactly, OC played right into SFU hands by not throwing the easy completions that were there

Sader87
September 1st, 2018, 04:16 PM
Sour grapish I suppose, but HC outplayed Colgate for most of the game after the 1st Q.

Early jitters/inexperience put HC in a big hole but they nearly climbed all the way out of it. Encouraging loss if such a thing exists.

The defense looks very much improved overall....offense was shaky for most of the game but was starting to get into gear in the 2nd H.

Congrats to the Red Raidahs who came up with a couple big plays to seal the win.

Gate83
September 1st, 2018, 04:28 PM
Sour grapish I suppose, but HC outplayed Colgate for most of the game after the 1st Q.

Early jitters/inexperience put HC in a big hole but they nearly climbed all the way out of it. Encouraging loss if such a thing exists.

The defense looks very much improved overall....offense was shaky for most of the game but was starting to get into gear in the 2nd H.

Congrats to the Red Raidahs who came up with a couple big plays to seal the win.

I'd say Gate dominated until halftime (we did score 10 unanswered points in the 2nd quarter) but definitely let the momentum swing the other way in the 2nd half. Crusaders impressed with their fight, though I wish we hadn't gone so vanilla with the O in the 2nd half. We need to get some push out of our seniors across the O line or the next couple of weeks won't go our way. Breneman looked great in the first half & in the game ending drive, though would've liked a less stressful finish. Good luck to the Saders the rest of the way...

RichH2
September 1st, 2018, 04:32 PM
exactly, OC played right into SFU hands by not throwing the easy completions that were there

Too conservative I agree. Even with a patch work OL there were downfield opportunities in the middle repeatedly given the way SFU crashed the box. I hate WR screens. Seems Brisson hestitant to challenge with inside routes. Constant quick pressure up the middle over tbe C may have been a factor.

LU808
September 1st, 2018, 04:34 PM
KnightoftheRedFlash (http://www.anygivensaturday.com/member.php?41931-KnightoftheRedFlash)
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/images/SeamusLight/statusicon/user-offline.png

Re: Patriot League Pick 'em - Week 1

Example?

ColgateTD
September 1st, 2018, 04:51 PM

For a youngish team with not too much experience HC did well and pushed 'Gate to the brink. Nice comeback in the second half after 'Gate came out fast from the start. HC will give some teams fits this season if they show just a little improvement each week. Looks like the seeds are planted for HC success down the road. Good luck the rest of the way...

Fordham
September 1st, 2018, 04:54 PM
I said this before but look out for HC. Shame on them for agreeing to Gate as game 1. May be the difference between a playoff spot and not. This staff has it going on.

If St F is as good as Owl indicated, that’s a nice start for Lehigh.

Congrats to Gtown on a convincing win too. Good start for the PL. no idea what to expect from us but we’re about to see ...

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 05:09 PM
Going be watching Bucknell-W&M and Laffy-SHU....

RichH2
September 1st, 2018, 05:22 PM
Going be watching Bucknell-W&M and Laffy-SHU....

Laffy and Notre Dame for me. Possible some looks at Louisville. Buckies was voted down.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 05:23 PM
TD W&M on their opening drive. They just ran the ball down Bucknell's throat on a 15 play drive...

7-0 Tribe 6:13 1Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 05:29 PM
Bison was driving before Chiarolanzio threw a duck that gets picked in the end zone...

RichH2
September 1st, 2018, 05:47 PM
Bison was driving before Chiarolanzio threw a duck that gets picked in the end zone...

Seems Bison not much different. Lots of yards but red zone averse.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 06:02 PM
Seems Bison not much different. Lots of yards but red zone averse.

Their defense is hanging tough. W&M had 1st and goal at their 7 and the Bison got an INT in the endzone. Both teams are struggling....

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 06:14 PM
W&M 7 Bucknell 0 Half

Bison D coming up big in key situations. The "O" continues to do nothing...

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 06:15 PM
Sacred Heart 21 Lafayette 3

This is embarrassing for the Leopards. They don't ever seem to improve...

RichH2
September 1st, 2018, 06:21 PM
Sacred Heart 21 Lafayette 3

This is embarrassing for the Leopards. They don't ever seem to improve...

Caught good part of 1st half. Garrett sat O'Malley. Put in Northrup. He is a very hesitant QB. Holds the ball.and wont pull the trigger. CJ Amiil looks very good. D seems shell shocked.

Fordham
September 1st, 2018, 06:50 PM
Our D looks much improved. Our O struggling

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 06:52 PM
Caught good part of 1st half. Garrett sat O'Malley. Put in Northrup. He is a very hesitant QB. Holds the ball.and wont pull the trigger. CJ Amiil looks very good. D seems shell shocked.

They're down 28-3. This is shocking....

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 07:01 PM
Our D looks much improved. Our O struggling

The Rams are fighting like hell against a FBS team. That's all you can ask....

RichH2
September 1st, 2018, 07:02 PM
Enuf. I swit ched to Notre Dame.
Pards are really bad. SH is at best a middle of the pack NEC squad. A competitive game understandable. This is ridiculous.

Fordham
September 1st, 2018, 07:02 PM
Touchdown !!!!

Fordham
September 1st, 2018, 07:04 PM
QB play has been suspect but so far we appear much better on both sides of the ball. Coaching matters!!! This staff has our guys ready!!

Fordham 7
Charlotte 6

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 07:11 PM
Bison D is playing great. Just caused a fumble early in the 4th quarter. The offense though is painful....

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 07:15 PM
TD Bison!! The Bucknell announcer is losing his mind!

7-7 12:43 4Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 07:16 PM
SHU scored again

Pioneers 35-6

The Pioneers were picked 6th in the NEC....

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 07:20 PM
TD Tribe on a 75 yard TD pass. Great run after the catch...

14-7 W&M 11:55 4Q

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 07:37 PM
Charlotte 13 Fordham 7 Half

Rams hanging tough!!

RichH2
September 1st, 2018, 07:40 PM
Rams playing. Erred in checking back with Pards. Down 35-6. Pards have no O and the vaunted D got the crap kicked out of them.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 07:41 PM
Rams playing. Erred in checking back with Pards. Down 35-6. Pards have no O and the vaunted D got the crap kicked out of them.

I never under the "vaunted D". They were honestly terrible for much of last year. Middling PL competition made them look better during the 2nd half of the season...

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 07:43 PM
Bison convert a 4th a 9 but the WR fumbles after the catch...ugh....W&M ball with about 1:50 left...

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 07:52 PM
Sacred Heart 35 Lafayette 6 Final

This is brutal loss for the Lafayette program. With their upcoming schedule a winless season becomes possible. After what is turning into an epic decade of futility you one has to wonder what the administration really thinks..

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 07:57 PM
W&M 14 Bucknell 7 Final

Both teams defense's dominated for the most part. Very competitive game overall. I think wins will be hard to come by for both teams. Bucknell really limited on offense. Their freshman RB/WR looks like the lone real playmaker.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 08:15 PM
I'm pretty sure the Charlotte-Fordham game has been delayed again due to weather...

Fordham
September 1st, 2018, 08:15 PM
Yep

RichH2
September 1st, 2018, 08:16 PM

This is brutal loss for the Lafayette program. With their upcoming schedule a winless season becomes possible. After what is turning into an epic decade of futility you one has to wonder what the administration really thinks..

They dont care. New AD apparently no longer a fan favorite on their board. They are now assuming a 0 for the season. One caveat for me is I remember Dunlap's first couple of years were atrocious. Took him all of 5 years to rebuild. I was there for the program collapse after Leckonby. It was a decade before it revived.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 08:24 PM
They dont care. New AD apparently no longer a fan favorite on their board. They are now assuming a 0 for the season. One caveat for me is I remember Dunlap's first couple of years were atrocious. Took him all of 5 years to rebuild. I was there for the program collapse after Leckonby. It was a decade before it revived.

Granted it's only 1 game so anything is still possible but man that was ugly. I don't understand how a school/program with their facilities and their recruiting footprint can be so awful year after year. It goes well beyond academics/acceptance. It's a great school but c'mon. They should have no trouble getting top prep athletes from Jersey like Lehigh and Fordham have done on a consistent basis.

I think overall the PL had a solid day. But it can't really take off when Lafayette is sucking so bad.

RichH2
September 1st, 2018, 08:29 PM
Granted it's only 1 game so anything is still possible but man that was ugly. I don't understand how school/program with their facilities and their recruiting footprint can be so awful year after year. It goes well beyond academics/acceptance. It's a great school but c'mon. They should have no trouble getting top prep athletes from Jersey like Lehigh and Fordham have done on a consistent basis.

I think overall the PL had a solid day. But it can't really take off when Lafayette is sucking so bad.

Agreed. Sorry about Temple today. Nova looks good.

DFW HOYA
September 1st, 2018, 08:35 PM
Granted it's only 1 game so anything is still possible but man that was ugly. I don't understand how a school/program with their facilities and their recruiting footprint can be so awful year after year. It goes well beyond academics/acceptance. It's a great school but c'mon. They should have no trouble getting top prep athletes from Jersey like Lehigh and Fordham have done on a consistent basis.

Couldn't that be said for any PL school not named Colgate, Lehigh, or Fordham?

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 08:37 PM
Agreed. Sorry about Temple today. Nova looks good.

'Nova D really tough. Their front 7 was extremely impressive. Basically what they were suppose to be last year. Bednarczyk made an Aaron Rodgers type throw on 49th and 9 for the game winning TD. They played great and got us. Very few people saw it coming this year given what Temple had coming back.

I don't think Lehigh is going to get run. 'Nova-Temple always going to be dog fight if 'Nova had players and belief. They nearly beat us last year. Lehigh has the skill guys to challenge their D. Mayes might be better than Nutile. Lehigh WR's can play if given the chance. Lehigh must open up the playbook and take shots. 'Nova will do everything to stop Bragalone. They'll test Lehigh's front with a steady dose of Forbes. I feel like he's been their RB for since Szczur graduated.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 08:40 PM
Couldn't that be said for any PL school not named Colgate, Lehigh, or Fordham?

Colgate does well in PA and down South (FL, GA). Relatively speaking, Lehigh and Fordham have gotten gold out of NJ. Bucknell only recently started pulling top flight talent out of the Garden State. Historically, Lafayette has good success with Philly Catholic League kids.

Lafayette should have success at something, somewhere. Jersey is literally across the river...

DFW HOYA
September 1st, 2018, 08:57 PM
Scholarship football has all but eviscerated Georgetown's recruiting in these areas.

In 1998, 44 players on Georgetown's roster were from NY or NJ. In 2007, it was 29.

In 2018? Eight, of which one is a starter.

Lehigh'98
September 1st, 2018, 09:16 PM
Congrats Georgetown putting up more in points in one game than they have in the last 6 years combined. Nice work.

Go...gate
September 1st, 2018, 09:23 PM

Holy Cross 17
Colgate 24
Final

An Opening Day win and a League win are always nice.

UNH on the horizon.

- - - Updated - - -

Congrats Georgetown putting up more in points in one game than they have in the last 6 years combined. Nice work.

Yes - great job by the Hoyas!

RichH2
September 1st, 2018, 09:30 PM
Rams delayed. Overall PL had a slightly better opening weekend. Hoyas moving up. Pards solid hold on last. Both Gate and Cross impressed. Lehigh at won. Bucknell played a very tough game. Another year not scoring but a staunch D.

blackbeard
September 1st, 2018, 09:55 PM

No surprise here, SHU whips the Pards and goes to 4-0 against them since 2013. Yet every year their fans talk getting a win over a “cupcake”. Sorry PL fans but the NEC has surpassed your league in competitive football, despite that addition of athletic scholarships.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 10:02 PM
No surprise here, SHU whips the Pards and goes to 4-0 against them since 2013. Yet every year their fans talk getting a win over a “cupcake”. Sorry PL fans but the NEC has surpassed your league in competitive football, despite that addition of athletic scholarships.

Not sure how you draw those conclusions.

Sacred Heart was picked 6th in the NEC and Lafayette was picked by most to finish near the bottom of the PL. They haven't had a winning record since 2009. Their program is a mess. SHU too has fallen off in recent years but good enough to whip that 'pards.

Fordham did beat the NEC Champ CCSU last year and it was rough year for the Rams. They get CCSU and Bryant in a few weeks. Lehigh took care of a pretty tough SFU team today.

PL had a much better opening week than last year.

Sader87
September 1st, 2018, 10:06 PM
Holy Cross could potentially be 1-6 this season and still be in the PL title hunt this year. Obviously we'll need a little help after losing to Gate today

aceinthehole
September 1st, 2018, 10:06 PM

Preach on!

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 10:10 PM
Holy Cross could potentially be 1-6 this season and still be in the PL title hunt this year. Obviously we'll need a little help after losing to Gate today

Getting Lehigh and Fordham at home is huge. Colgate losing to two games will be tough. Maybe a co-champ? xsmiley_wix

Sader87
September 1st, 2018, 10:25 PM
I'm quasi-serious....brutal OOC (which is great) @BC, Yale, Dartmouth, @UNH and @Harvard....if we beat Bucknell at Fitton, we could be 1-6; 1-1 with Lehigh and Fordham at home and Georgetown and Lafayette on the road. Need Colgate to trip up a couple times.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 1st, 2018, 10:35 PM
Charlotte 34 Fordham 10 Final

Rams hung in before the 49ers wore them out in the final quarter. Now comes a trip to Richmond also got rouged up a bit.

Ramblin' Man
September 1st, 2018, 10:37 PM
Rams lose 34-10 to 49ers. 13-7 at the half, but their offensive line wore us down in the 2nd half. Multiple weather delays as the game just ended at 11:25.

ngineer
September 1st, 2018, 10:47 PM
My take on Lehigh's win today: A much improved D, especially against the run. The D only let up 13 points and except for two misplayed defenders on those two long passes, the pass D was okay. I was unhappy with our play calling in the fourth quarter when we took the air out of the ball and almost lost because of it. Two turnovers let directly to a swing of 13 points: Brags fumble around the 10 and the fumble recovery on Mayes getting stripped. The punting was excellent. Bragalone's long TD run was a thing of beauty, blasting into the secondary and then hitting that fourth gear. So many times opposing DB's underestimate his speed. SFU had some excellent athletes out there. Huge receiver targets and the QB has a quality arm. I was surprised they did nto throw more considering how we bottled up their run game pretty good. Fortune smiled down on the FG "block"--not really. The PK hit a line drive into the line. Wasn't more than 6 feet off the ground at the LOS. As with all opening games, there is a lot of "cleaning up" to do, but this was a good win in that it showed resilience of the team and should be a confidence builder. Really looking forward to next week against Villanova, now. If we play cleaner and open up the playbook more, we can win this game.

Go...gate
September 2nd, 2018, 01:52 AM
Except for Lafayette, things seem to have turned out the as expected.

Go...gate
September 2nd, 2018, 01:53 AM
Rams lose 34-10 to 49ers. 13-7 at the half, but their offensive line wore us down in the 2nd half. Multiple weather delays as the game just ended at 11:25.

Wow. 5 hours, 25 minutes. That is tough on any squad.

Go Green
September 2nd, 2018, 08:26 AM

In the PL's defense, there are plenty of Ivy guys who look down on SHU as well despite the fact that they've given Dartmouth a very tough time in the series.

Change comes slowly.

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 2nd, 2018, 08:41 AM
NEC pride is such an amusing concept.

Pards Rule
September 2nd, 2018, 11:51 AM
Great showings for Bison and Rams. Pards just cant get it together! Next week at Delaware!

Lehigh Football Nation
September 2nd, 2018, 12:55 PM

Unlike a lot of folks on here, I like and respect the NEC. They have earned their way to be the equals of the PL. Like the PL, they have won FCS playoff games and in head-to-head they have proven to be the equals of the best of the PL. That wasn't always the case, but it is now.

Having said that, you're right. The idea of "NEC pride" is a foreign concept. People don't always like it but the PL does have an organizational philosophy that is bigger than one or two schools, the academic-brothers-in-arms thing that PL people love and others hate.

The question I have is what does it take to get people to have NEC pride and to get involved, get into rivalries, etc.? It's hard to get a rivalry going between, say, SFU and CCSU. In an ideal world the NEC would be gathered into two extremely regional conferences with divisions, East (with SHU, CCSU, Bryant, maybe New Haven and others) and West (RMU, SFU, Duquesne, maybe California (PA) and others). To me having rivalries like that makes sense, but I'm not an expert.

RichH2
September 2nd, 2018, 12:56 PM

Not really. Its just perspective. NEC has made great progress over the last 5 years or so. NEC are no longer cupcake games for PL. You should be proud.

Pards Rule
September 2nd, 2018, 01:05 PM
Unlike a lot of folks on here, I like and respect the NEC. They have earned their way to be the equals of the PL. Like the PL, they have won FCS playoff games and in head-to-head they have proven to be the equals of the best of the PL. That wasn't always the case, but it is now.

Having said that, you're right. The idea of "NEC pride" is a foreign concept. People don't always like it but the PL does have an organizational philosophy that is bigger than one or two schools, the academic-brothers-in-arms thing that PL people love and others hate.

The question I have is what does it take to get people to have NEC pride and to get involved, get into rivalries, etc.? It's hard to get a rivalry going between, say, SFU and CCSU. In an ideal world the NEC would be gathered into two extremely regional conferences with divisions, East (with SHU, CCSU, Bryant, maybe New Haven and others) and West (RMU, SFU, Duquesne, maybe California (PA) and others). To me having rivalries like that makes sense, but I'm not an expert.

Agreed! NEC is going well. I think you meant rivalry between SHU and CCSU not SFU in Penna

Fordham
September 2nd, 2018, 02:09 PM
Fordham fans took a few beatings in the mid-2000's to start respecting the NEC. I don't think there's any or much looking down on them going on in the Bronx fwiw.

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 2nd, 2018, 03:10 PM
Not really. Its just perspective. NEC has made great progress over the last 5 years or so. NEC are no longer cupcake games for PL. You should be proud.

I understand that the NEC has earned respect. I simply don't believe in conference pride. I don't like being in the NEC and I want to see all of the NEC (except SFU, of course) lose in OOC play.

Lafayette left me down yesterday.

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 2nd, 2018, 03:12 PM
Fordham fans took a few beatings in the mid-2000's to start respecting the NEC. I don't think there's any or much looking down on them going on in the Bronx fwiw.

As an Army fan, I greatly respect Fordham both for your football prowess and history. I wish we could schedule a consistent series of games instead of playing the rest of the Patriot League. I have no interest in Bucknell, Lafayette or Colgate. Holy Cross would be fine.

CFBfan
September 2nd, 2018, 03:34 PM
As an Army fan, I greatly respect Fordham both for your football prowess and history. I wish we could schedule a consistent series of games instead of playing the rest of the Patriot League. I have no interest in Bucknell, Lafayette or Colgate. Holy Cross would be fine.

and they have NO interest in you and your obscure little team

Sader87
September 2nd, 2018, 03:42 PM
HC and St F (PA) have nevah met on the gridiron. I'm guessing the Red Flash either had a small program or none at all pre-1950 or so and have only become D1/FCS in the last 20 years or so.

We played (and lost) to Duquense in the last 15 years. Played a few NEC schools in the last decade or so: SHU, CCSU, Bryant, Wagner....we don't have too many openings for many NEC opponents as we play 3 Ivies most years, a reach/$$$ game against FBS schools and usually a CAA team. We are scheduled to play CCSU home and home in the next few years.

DFW HOYA
September 2nd, 2018, 04:02 PM
HC and St F (PA) have nevah met on the gridiron. I'm guessing the Red Flash either had a small program or none at all pre-1950 or so and have only become D1/FCS in the last 20 years or so.

SFPA started football in 1909 and played what would today be considered a Div. II schedule through 1953 when they dropped football. Per its media guide, opponents in that last season included Clarion, California PA, Youngstown State, Indiana PA, and Edinboro.

The Red Flash returned as a club program in 1969, Div. III in 1980, and joined Division I in 1993. In 46 seasons from 1969 to 2014, they had five winning seasons, a mark only Davidson could match today. SF then added scholarships and posted back to back seven-win seasons before finishing 5-6 last season.

Against PL schools, the Red Flash are 3-9 all time versus Georgetown and 0-3 versus Fordham, most of which was in the respective schools' Div. III years.

Go...gate
September 2nd, 2018, 07:52 PM

I like it.

TheValleyRaider
September 2nd, 2018, 08:04 PM
I understand that the NEC has earned respect. I simply don't believe in conference pride. I don't like being in the NEC and I want to see all of the NEC (except SFU, of course) lose in OOC play.

I get not rooting for other teams, or even wanting to be in the conference, but actively rooting against them seems a bit much

Go...gate
September 2nd, 2018, 09:01 PM

Wow. Colgate has played West Point periodically over the years, as has Lafayette. Why no interest?

Go...gate
September 2nd, 2018, 09:02 PM

In your opinion, what conference should St. Francis compete in?

Bill
September 2nd, 2018, 10:02 PM

Tell that to the SEC!xsmiley_wix

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 3rd, 2018, 06:03 AM
and they have NO interest in you and your obscure little team

Yet, they are coming/came to West Point. Try again, little man. Exclusive broadcasting contract with CBS Sports. Army-Navy game features College Gameday.

Try being objective. There were plenty of Lafayette fans at the game a couple years ago. I was there.

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 3rd, 2018, 06:05 AM
Tell that to the SEC!xsmiley_wix

I wish I could, sir. I find all conference pride ridiculous. Alabama won the NC, not the SEC conference. Yet, Vanderbilt fans cheer, "SEC!" "SEC!"

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 3rd, 2018, 06:08 AM
Wow. Colgate has played West Point periodically over the years, as has Lafayette. Why no interest?

You are FCS. These three schools are the only FCS schools I wish to play: Fordham (NYC), Citadel and VMI.

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 3rd, 2018, 06:12 AM
In your opinion, what conference should St. Francis compete in?

My dream league is the Patriot League. Great collection of pristine, respected schools for basketball and football. Gobs of history. I love playing Lehigh and American in basketball. Bucknell is awesome. So is Holy Cross, you have Navy and Army as well. Top notch conference.

I know we are never getting an invite, too many institutional mistakes over the years (and currently) eliminate that.

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 3rd, 2018, 06:16 AM
SFPA started football in 1909 and played what would today be considered a Div. II schedule through 1953 when they dropped football. Per its media guide, opponents in that last season included Clarion, California PA, Youngstown State, Indiana PA, and Edinboro.

The Red Flash returned as a club program in 1969, Div. III in 1980, and joined Division I in 1993. In 46 seasons from 1969 to 2014, they had five winning seasons, a mark only Davidson could match today. SF then added scholarships and posted back to back seven-win seasons before finishing 5-6 last season.

Against PL schools, the Red Flash are 3-9 all time versus Georgetown and 0-3 versus Fordham, most of which was in the respective schools' Div. III years.

Decent overview except our moniker is now SFU. We phrased out SFPA. ESPN, despite the reminder, still insists on SFPA but they are incorrect.

As a student of our history, every time football or sports had any momentum going either the administration would gut the program or World War II broke out. Our early 40s teams were good and then Pearl Harbor. Program folded for four years, returned, staggered and was eliminated. We are finally starting to realize that good sports increase the profile of the University.

CFBfan
September 3rd, 2018, 08:18 AM
Yet, they are coming/came to West Point. Try again, little man. Exclusive broadcasting contract with CBS Sports. Army-Navy game features College Gameday.

Try being objective. There were plenty of Lafayette fans at the game a couple years ago. I was there.

your incredibly intelligent reply is to the wrong post BIG man, perhaps you'd like to try again

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 3rd, 2018, 09:30 AM
your incredibly intelligent reply is to the wrong post BIG man, perhaps you'd like to try again

You responded to my Army fan post. I responded to you as an Army fan. What more do you need?

Pards Rule
September 3rd, 2018, 10:26 AM
Yeah, this years Lafayette-Army game is week before Lehigh.

KnightoftheRedFlash
September 3rd, 2018, 11:39 AM
Yeah, this years Lafayette-Army game is week before Lehigh.

Anything less than 60 points will be a disappointment.