PDA

View Full Version : Austin Peay University

alvin.kmiec
August 10th, 2018, 04:54 PM
Who can tell me something about Austin track and field program? My daughter got a email today from the coaching staff about a scholarship they want to give her. She has had several division II and III schools but now she is getting looks from division I’s schools. She will be graduating this coming May and has ran track and cross country since 7th grade. She been to state meet in track and cross country every year in high school but one. Just wanted to see what kind of university it is and how good are the coaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JacksFan40
August 10th, 2018, 05:05 PM
This will likely be moved to other sports as it’s not pertaining to FCS Football. Also I have no clue about APSU T&F so I’m useless.

alvin.kmiec
August 10th, 2018, 05:08 PM
This will likely be moved to other sports as it’s not pertaining to FCS Football. Also I have no clue about APSU T&F so I’m useless.

Wasn’t sure where to post this. Just seen general and figured it covered everything. Plus we don’t have anything for track and field. Thanks for the heads up.

Thumper 76
August 10th, 2018, 05:34 PM
Other Sports would be the location for this.

VandalBasher
August 10th, 2018, 06:04 PM
I went to a game at Austin Peay in 2007 with the vising team being Tennessee State U.

It might have been homecoming because the small stadium with filled. The atmosphere for the game was outstanding and to see the band from TSU was priceless.

I believe they also sold beer at the game.

alvin.kmiec
August 10th, 2018, 06:11 PM
Other Sports would be the location for this.

Ok I posted there but how do I delete this?

Laker
August 10th, 2018, 06:20 PM

Probably PM an administrator and request the move.

alvin.kmiec
August 10th, 2018, 06:21 PM
Probably PM an administrator and request the move.

👍

Milktruck74
August 10th, 2018, 06:25 PM
The school is solid, the campus is nice, the town kinda sucks.....Others that were student athletes may have different opinions, but my take (FWIW----not much) is Go where you feel comfortable. Your daughter may be the next Shalane Flanagan, but (reality says) probably not. Go to a school you think you will enjoy. Sports in D1 tends to be more of a business, at least football. D3 tends to be much easier, and the kids are playing for sheer love. And D2 is a nice combo of the two. Again, just my thoughts....others may feel differently.

Milktruck74
August 10th, 2018, 06:26 PM

Just leave it alone, they will move it sooon.

alvin.kmiec
August 10th, 2018, 08:34 PM
The school is solid, the campus is nice, the town kinda sucks.....Others that were student athletes may have different opinions, but my take (FWIW----not much) is Go where you feel comfortable. Your daughter may be the next Shalane Flanagan, but (reality says) probably not. Go to a school you think you will enjoy. Sports in D1 tends to be more of a business, at least football. D3 tends to be much easier, and the kids are playing for sheer love. And D2 is a nice combo of the two. Again, just my thoughts....others may feel differently.

My daughter is only 3 tens of a second slowly than Shalane Flanagan. The D II school that’s really caught her eye is Belmont Abbey in NC. The coach has called my wife and I about our daughter and has talked to her also. She really like him but also has several other contacts going also.

Thumper 76
August 10th, 2018, 09:14 PM
My daughter is only 3 tens of a second slowly than Shalane Flanagan. The D II school that’s really caught her eye is Belmont Abbey in NC. The coach has called my wife and I about our daughter and has talked to her also. She really like him but also has several other contacts going also.

My advice would be go to the school you like most, sports are one injury away from being snatched away. You want to be happy where you are if that happens. Just my $.02

dgtw
August 10th, 2018, 09:45 PM
The Peay women finished 7th at the OVC indoor meet and 9th at the outdoor. Twelve teams total.

alvin.kmiec
August 10th, 2018, 09:46 PM
My advice would be go to the school you like most, sports are one injury away from being snatched away. You want to be happy where you are if that happens. Just my $.02

That’s what my wife and I are telling her. The coach at Belmont Abbey seems to be pretty family type person and he reminds her of her coach at her high school. I told her it doesn’t matter to me and she really wants to run somewhere cooler than Texas.

alvin.kmiec
August 10th, 2018, 09:51 PM
The Peay women finished 7th at the OVC indoor meet and 9th at the outdoor. Twelve teams total.

I was looking at that too. I can’t believe they get kids that aren’t that fast. Here in Texas if you can’t run the 800 in 2:20 or faster you want get a look. But this maybe a Texas type thing with so may to pick.

Mike296
August 10th, 2018, 10:30 PM
Being an APSU alum let me say that we’ve never been known for our T&F or Cross Country teams. However, in the last say 3 years we’re steadily gaining better runners and we’ve went from bottom of the OVC to 7th. Small improvements I know but it takes time to get better if you’re not a top school(take our football team as an example) Academics are solid at the school so keep that in mind. Clarksville isn’t the greatest college town in the world but the neighboring cities really aren’t that far by bus or by car so you can get to things pretty easily.

dgtw
August 11th, 2018, 06:06 AM

My son is a college athlete. His career hasn’t panned out like he hoped, but he has thrived in other areas of college life. I am glad he chose the school he did.

Clarksville is a nice little town. It has a pretty waterfront area which would be great for her to run. There is a military base just north of there in Kentucky.

van
August 11th, 2018, 06:53 AM
I live about an hour from Clarksville, Peay campus seems nice but as others have posted the city is nothing special, about an hour from Nashville, it that has any bearing, they do have one of the best chants in all of college sports, "let's go Peay"

Milktruck74
August 11th, 2018, 06:59 AM
My son is a college athlete. His career hasn’t panned out like he hoped, but he has thrived in other areas of college life. I am glad he chose the school he did.

THIS.....And Thumpers Wisdom....

As for Belmont....Beautiful School, solid academics....they are a very close knit school (family atmosphere) and the Monks are kinda cool to have around to chat with. I wouldn't hang my hat on the coach....4 years is an eternity for a coach, they come and go. Maybe a little more stable in a smaller school or in a non-revenue generating sport, but basically if they are bad, they get canned and if they are good, they move to bigger better things. If you visit The Abby, she will be sold....the beauty of the campus sells itself, but the kids there genuinely love the school.

alvin.kmiec
August 11th, 2018, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. It’s going to be hard cheering for someone else besides the Bearkats. But a parent has to let the kids grow their wings.

Cocky
August 12th, 2018, 08:17 AM
Go to the best academic school which offers the major she desires. Not much money in female track and field to let it make your school choice.

kdinva
August 12th, 2018, 08:42 AM
Go to the best academic school which offers the major she desires. Not much money in female track and field to let it make your school choice.

+1

blackbeard
August 13th, 2018, 09:07 AM
That’s what my wife and I are telling her. The coach at Belmont Abbey seems to be pretty family type person and he reminds her of her coach at her high school. I told her it doesn’t matter to me and she really wants to run somewhere cooler than Texas.

Unless the coach is a lifer don't put too much emphasis on the coach hanging around, college coaches come and go quickly if they are trying to advance and move up the ladder. Others will be very content with their situation and stick around for 10-20 years. If you want coaching stability check their bios.

Great advice from several about finding the best education and somewhere she is happy, then let the track take care of itself.

My D runs T&F at a SoCon school. Track is unique because you will often see some D2 and JuCo schools at meets competing against D1 programs. Here in the southeast its pretty common to have SEC, SoCon, ASun, OVC and D2 schools all at the same meets. Frankly don't recall seeing Austin Peay at any meets, and looking at their results on TFRRS it doesn't seem like their distance and XC programs have had much success.

alvin.kmiec
August 13th, 2018, 11:29 PM
Unless the coach is a lifer don't put too much emphasis on the coach hanging around, college coaches come and go quickly if they are trying to advance and move up the ladder. Others will be very content with their situation and stick around for 10-20 years. If you want coaching stability check their bios.

Great advice from several about finding the best education and somewhere she is happy, then let the track take care of itself.

My D runs T&F at a SoCon school. Track is unique because you will often see some D2 and JuCo schools at meets competing against D1 programs. Here in the southeast its pretty common to have SEC, SoCon, ASun, OVC and D2 schools all at the same meets. Frankly don't recall seeing Austin Peay at any meets, and looking at their results on TFRRS it doesn't seem like their distance and XC programs have had much success.

Mississippi College is one that she looked at. But they want some really fast runners. The college said they complete against BCS, FCS, and division II colleges which is what they are. I am hoping she picks Belmont Abbey. From every thing I heard it’s a good school and they have the major she wants. Well until she changed her mind and wants to be a commercial pilot. She got some info in today from ND pilot program. May have to sell the ranch to afford this. But like women their mind changes like the wind. Natural science was the major before her mind change.

jsualumnus
August 13th, 2018, 11:36 PM
Thread has never moved... ha! Best school is the one your daughter has passion around. That school will
have what she desires in a major and T&F program. Best of luck to her, and you seem to be a great parent!

Cocky
August 14th, 2018, 07:48 AM
Mississippi College is one that she looked at. But they want some really fast runners. The college said they complete against BCS, FCS, and division II colleges which is what they are. I am hoping she picks Belmont Abbey. From every thing I heard it’s a good school and they have the major she wants. Well until she changed her mind and wants to be a commercial pilot. She got some info in today from ND pilot program. May have to sell the ranch to afford this. But like women their mind changes like the wind. Natural science was the major before her mind change.

Auburn has a flight program. May want to check it out and I have no idea about their T&F team.

alvin.kmiec
August 14th, 2018, 11:30 AM
Thread has never moved... ha! Best school is the one your daughter has passion around. That school will
have what she desires in a major and T&F program. Best of luck to her, and you seem to be a great parent!

No it never got moved even after a started one on the right one. I know one thing I am glad those days of picking a college is over for me. She girl is a fruitcake. I told her back before Gore invented the Internet we had to send letters to the colleges and half of the ones she been in contact with I never heard of.🤔

alvin.kmiec
August 14th, 2018, 12:53 PM
Auburn has a flight program. May want to check it out and I have no idea about their T&F team.

Was just looking at that. They have some pretty fast girls also. 800 times between 2:19-2:12 I don’t think my truck would catch that 2:12.🤠

blackbeard
August 14th, 2018, 05:21 PM
Was just looking at that. They have some pretty fast girls also. 800 times between 2:19-2:12 I don’t think my truck would catch that 2:12.鸞

A LOT faster than that. Took a 2:08 to make the finals at SEC last year, and a 2:15 to make the finals at SoCon. To get any scholarship money you have to be able to place at conference meets. So to realistically figure out where she stacks up competitively you need to look at Conference meet results for different conferences - be it D1 or D2.

Link to the OVC (Austin Peay) 800m Championship. https://www.tfrrs.org/results/57031/3506050/Ohio_Valley_Conference_Championship/Women's_800m__Run/

Link to Gulf South (Miss College) 800m Championship https://www.tfrrs.org/results/55750/3451671/Gulf_South_Conference_Track_Championships/Women_800m_Run/

Link to Conference Carolinas (Belmont Abbey) 800m Championship https://www.tfrrs.org/results/56754/3474209/Conference_Carolinas_Championship/Women's_800m__Run/

alvin.kmiec
August 14th, 2018, 07:09 PM
A LOT faster than that. Took a 2:08 to make the finals at SEC last year, and a 2:15 to make the finals at SoCon. To get any scholarship money you have to be able to place at conference meets. So to realistically figure out where she stacks up competitively you need to look at Conference meet results for different conferences - be it D1 or D2.

Link to the OVC (Austin Peay) 800m Championship. https://www.tfrrs.org/results/57031/3506050/Ohio_Valley_Conference_Championship/Women's_800m__Run/

Link to Gulf South (Miss College) 800m Championship https://www.tfrrs.org/results/55750/3451671/Gulf_South_Conference_Track_Championships/Women_800m_Run/

Link to Conference Carolinas (Belmont Abbey) 800m Championship https://www.tfrrs.org/results/56754/3474209/Conference_Carolinas_Championship/Women's_800m__Run/

That’s why I feel Belmont Abbey would be good for her until today. Now her recruiting page on NCSA has exploded. She got a email from Wartburg College that’s even giving her money to fly up there to see the college. The head coach is a alumni of Northern Iowa (Marcus Newsom) He said he can develop her into a top run. He has recruited girls running 2:20’s and turn them into 2:08-2:12’s in the 800 meter. Dam recruiting is hell for parents. Looks like they has a pretty good academics to with her major. Thanks for all the info y’all have given me. I wasn’t a athlete and neither was my wife. So y’all have help us a bunch.