PDA

View Full Version : Idaho Football video: The Return

VandalBasher
August 8th, 2018, 08:08 PM
"The Return" Episode 1: Light The Fire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3Sj0eY5YPc (https://mobile.twitter.com/VandalFootball/status/1027305953010507776/video/1)

"The Return" Episode 2: Earn It
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbqTKe9QokU

"The Return" Episode 3: Study Skills
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Jk4asIVnEw&t=65s

"The Return" Episode 4: Go Time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1sAOnT2618

Believe me, I even find this video to be a little melodramatic and "Last Chance U'ish." But, we are trying to reinvigorate a wounded fan base and get them excited for Vandal Football in the Big Sky Conference.

Wounded simply means we had success at the I-AA level only to spend the next 22 years jumping from conference to conference simply to play teams from Tennessee, Louisiana, Georgia and Alabama. Additionally, we need to regain the fans that are a little let down from the drop down. This wasn't arrogance. We all know our record over the last two decades. It is a matter of "if they can do it, we can to." These fans would have pressed forward trying to achieve what others have done while doing it on the cheap.

For me, I am excited to see what Idaho can do at this level. This season is going to be fun.

NoVABison
August 8th, 2018, 08:20 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/VandalFootball/status/1027305953010507776/video/1

Believe me, I even find this video to be a little melodramatic and "Last Chance U'ish." But, we are trying to reinvigorate a wounded fan base and get them excited for Vandal Football in the Big Sky Conference.

Wounded simply means we had success at the I-AA level only to spend the next 22 years jumping from conference to conference simply to play teams from Tennessee, Louisiana, Georgia and Alabama. Additionally, we need to regain the fans that are a little let down from the drop down. This wasn't arrogance. We all know our record over the last two decades. It is a matter of "if they can do it, we can to." These fans would have pressed forward trying to achieve what others have while doing it on the cheap.

For me, I am excited to see what Idaho can do at this level. This season is going to be fun.

The FCS Playoffs are fantastic... maybe they don't get the hype of the bowl games -- but that "win or go home, everything is on the line" feeling of a game is hard to beat. Hopefully Vandal fans embrace it like the rest of us!

VandalBasher
August 8th, 2018, 09:47 PM
The FCS Playoffs are fantastic... maybe they don't get the hype of the bowl games -- but that "win or go home, everything is on the line" feeling of a game is hard to beat. Hopefully Vandal fans embrace it like the rest of us!

For me, I am an ol' Big Sky guy. I tried walking on at Idaho at DE. It was an eye opening moment in my life. Even though I never played, I got a BSC championship ring. Before leaving for Iraq, I would give that ring to my friend that played all four years. He had three rings stolen. The talent we had was indescribable. Multiple NFLers that went on to Super Bowl wins.

For me, I look forward to the games on this year's schedule.

katss07
August 9th, 2018, 01:43 AM
Idaho is a team I will definitely be rooting for. Seems like a very hard working and dedicated group of guys up in Idaho. The FBS grass isn’t greener! The Vandals should return to FCS prominence once again someday soon. And thats where they belong.

VandalBasher
August 9th, 2018, 01:55 PM
Any positive thoughts would be welcomed! At the FBS level, we only had success about once every seven years. Hopefully, we can reduce the periods of drought at the FCS level.

The Big Sky Conference, though, isn't much of a drop in talent from the Sun Belt Conference, according to Sagarin. The Vandals will still have to play up each week. A record of 7-4 this year is possible.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 9th, 2018, 02:00 PM

I'm with you 100% and this has always been my stance. A bowl game doesn't mean **** to me at all. But an FCS playoff game...any FCS playoff game is a must see event and when my team is in ti....holy **** it means everything.

It doesn't draw the ratings? WGAF? I ain't there watching it because some dumbass in some other state(s) cares about it. This is my (our) thing and that is all I really care about I guess.

Outsider1
August 9th, 2018, 02:04 PM
Personally, I like the video with the interviews and the talks, but it is a little long to necessarily excite. For that, there needs to be some short attention getters done on a regular basis.

VandalBasher
August 9th, 2018, 02:09 PM
Thanks all for watching.

I believe the intention is to put out a video weekly as the Vandals go through camp. It might extend into the season, with I would approve. Anything for recruiting the upcoming classes of Vandals, both students and athletes.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 9th, 2018, 02:12 PM

Wounded simply means we had success at the I-AA level only to spend the next 22 years jumping from conference to conference simply to play teams from Tennessee, Louisiana, Georgia and Alabama. Additionally, we need to regain the fans that are a little let down from the drop down. This wasn't arrogance. We all know our record over the last two decades. It is a matter of "if they can do it, we can to." These fans would have pressed forward trying to achieve what others have while doing it on the cheap.

As you pointed out it is a bit derivative but it is a nice effort the school is making and it is still enjoyable to watch. Please dear god don't let these guys do some cheesy BS like we've seen from other schools over the last 5 yrs. xlolx

This is golden compared to some of the dance crap and the unveiling of uni's and the C-A-T-S video.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 9th, 2018, 02:14 PM
Thanks all for watching.

I believe the intention is to put out a video weekly as the Vandals go through camp. It might extend into the season, with I would approve. Anything for recruiting the upcoming classes of Vandals, both students and athletes.

Yeah, not a hype video but a short doc series on coming back so it is a good series and I will watch them all if you bring them.

BadlandsGrizFan
August 9th, 2018, 03:07 PM

IDAHO FOOTBALL IS BACK BABY...GET HYPED.....LIKE THIS GUY

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28407&stc=1

aust42
August 9th, 2018, 03:20 PM
So is Idaho eligible for the playoffs this year? Do they still have over 63 scholly players on the roster?

ursus arctos horribilis
August 9th, 2018, 03:35 PM
So is Idaho eligible for the playoffs this year? Do they still have over 63 scholly players on the roster?

They are eligible so no they don't. I am sure they split a couple scholly's and they were never running at a full 85 and were actually around the 70-74 for the most part from what I remember so it wasn't as tough to cut back as it is.

nevadagriz
August 9th, 2018, 04:54 PM
For me, I am an ol' Big Sky guy. I tried walking on at Idaho at DE. It was an eye opening moment in my life. Even though I never played, I got a BSC championship ring. Before leaving for Iraq, I would give that ring to my friend that played all four years. He had three rings stolen. The talent we had was indescribable. Multiple NFLers that went on to Super Bowl wins.

For me, I look forward to the games on this year's schedule.
VB what years were you at Idaho? A buddy of mine was on the equipment crew during his Idaho days. I believe around 89-93?

SeattleBobcat
August 9th, 2018, 04:58 PM
As you pointed out it is a bit derivative but it is a nice effort the school is making and it is still enjoyable to watch. Please dear god don't let these guys do some cheesy BS like we've seen from other schools over the last 5 yrs. xlolx

This is golden compared to some of the dance crap and the unveiling of uni's and the C-A-T-S video.

don't forget the blue Bobcat cup...

Vandal I think you described that video perfectly. As for your fanbase, you guys start winning and they will come back, count on it.

grizband
August 9th, 2018, 05:37 PM

Vandal I think you described that video perfectly. As for your fanbase, you guys start winning and they will come back, count on it.Also, App State is hot, hot, hot!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thumper 76
August 9th, 2018, 09:23 PM
I'm with you 100% and this has always been my stance. A bowl game doesn't mean **** to me at all. But an FCS playoff game...any FCS playoff game is a must see event and when my team is in ti....holy **** it means everything.

It doesn't draw the ratings? WGAF? I ain't there watching it because some dumbass in some other state(s) cares about it. This is my (our) thing and that is all I really care about I guess.

This sums it up nicely. WGAF if some dude in Bama gives a ****? I don’t. It’d be neat, but it really doesn’t matter.

As for the video, it was pretty well done. As a dude who isn’t an Idaho fan it was kinda long, but I would like it if it was my team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JacksFan40
August 9th, 2018, 10:45 PM

I’d much rather watch SDSU in a playoff game than playing in a meaningless bowl game in front of 12 people on a Wednesday.

VandalBasher
August 10th, 2018, 12:31 PM
VB what years were you at Idaho? A buddy of mine was on the equipment crew during his Idaho days. I believe around 89-93?

I walked on in 1987. That year we had John Friez (Seahawks starting QB), Mark Schlereth (Redskins and Broncos SB rings) and Rick Carey (Bengals CB), Kasey Dunn (coached at multiple NLF teams). Kieth Gilbertson coached as the HC at CAL, UW and the Seahawks. Again, I was a practice dummy. I just know the overall quality that could be had at the I-AA level. I graduated in 1992.

We never lost to BSU while I was in school.

VandalBasher
August 10th, 2018, 12:33 PM

Vandal I think you described that video perfectly. As for your fanbase, you guys start winning and they will come back, count on it.

Bobcat, if you care to get together for a couple of viewings this fall, let me know. I live in Ballard.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 10th, 2018, 01:48 PM
Bobcat, if you care to get together for a couple of viewings this fall, let me know. I live in Ballard.

seattle has some good Griz/Cat watch parties from what I hear also. SeaCat probably knows those well I'd guess.

dgtw
August 10th, 2018, 01:51 PM
Are there still a lot of people who have washed their hands of the program for dropping down or have they returned to the fold?

VandalBasher
August 10th, 2018, 03:40 PM
Are there still a lot of people who have washed their hands of the program for dropping down or have they returned to the fold?

Yes, there is a distinct drop in funds to the VSF and overall donations. This is the demographic of using money as a leverage for what they believe will result in a switch of decisions (Indy FBS?).

The weird thing we are currently hearing is there is an uptick in single ticket sales and for season tickets overall. This is rumor. But, any positive info coming out of the university is excellent if only in rumor.

Outsider1
August 10th, 2018, 04:04 PM
Yes, there is a distinct drop in funds to the VSF and overall donations. This is the demographic of using money as a leverage for what they believe will result in a switch of decisions (Indy FBS?).

The weird thing we are currently hearing is there is an uptick in single ticket sales and for season tickets overall. This is rumor. But, any positive info coming out of the university is excellent if only in rumor.

I agree that you keep winning and it won't matter; the people and the money will come. Keep it up.

Thumper 76
August 10th, 2018, 05:21 PM

Ah yes, the classic give them less money to make them switch to something astronomically more expensive tactic. Makes sense xlolx

VandalBasher
August 10th, 2018, 06:00 PM
Ah yes, the classic give them less money to make them switch to something astronomically more expensive tactic. Makes sense xlolx

We are trying to make sense how not helping is helping. But, they are a rich crew with deep pockets.

It will be determined by BIS (Butts in Seats) this year is our fan base really cared more about Coastal Carolina and Troy than to play against Montana and EWU (in Cheney).

SeattleBobcat
August 10th, 2018, 06:43 PM

Sounds good Vandal, hopefully I can get another shipment of Cold Smoke before the season starts. College Football is so much better when you're drinking Cold Smoke.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 11th, 2018, 08:39 AM
So sorry if this has been discussed before, but is Idaho playoff-eligible this year?

VandalBasher
August 11th, 2018, 09:01 AM
So sorry if this has been discussed before, but is Idaho playoff-eligible this year?

Idaho is eligible for the 2018 playoffs.

When the administration announced the drop down in April 2016, the football coach and athletic director had two classes of recruits to drop the total scholarships numbers. For the most part we weren't able to operate at 85 scholarships for many years while FBS. We are now at 63 scholarship athletes on the FB team.

100%GRIZ
August 11th, 2018, 09:26 AM
Speaking of Vandal Football - What a great speech by Jerry Kramer!

VandalBasher
August 11th, 2018, 09:52 AM
Speaking of Vandal Football - What a great speech by Jerry Kramer!

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?209705-Jerry-Kramer-HOF

I made sure to add a couple of pictures and the speech for reference.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 11th, 2018, 11:29 AM
We are trying to make sense how not helping is helping. But, they are a rich crew with deep pockets.

It will be determined by BIS (Butts in Seats) this year is our fan base really cared more about Coastal Carolina and Troy than to play against Montana and EWU (in Cheney).

Their pockets were not deep enough and rich enough to allow the Vandals to compete at their chosen level and there will be more access to Vandal football now and great affordable road trips so it will actually give fans a great opportunity to support them. It will also give Moscow a way better opportunity to make money off of out of towners that can also make the trip there.

Your BIS is DFO and with fuller stadiums it will make the old donors obsolete and then they just move on to WSU or they give up on the bitching.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 11th, 2018, 11:32 AM
Sounds good Vandal, hopefully I can get another shipment of Cold Smoke before the season starts. College Football is so much better when you're drinking Cold Smoke.
It's good stuff. Do you get it directly from them or are you having someone ship it?

RootinFerDukes
August 12th, 2018, 09:14 PM
I get butterflies in my stomach before each playoff game, especially if I know it’s a good team. Has an Idaho fan ever felt that way before a bowl game or conference game?
That meaningful football is going to come back and you’ll never worry about FBS/FCS ever again.
Idaho made the right move. I guarantee you that time will show that too.

VandalBasher
August 15th, 2018, 06:48 PM
https://youtu.be/ZbqTKe9QokU

Episode 2: Earn It

I thought the addition of giving the S&C coach some air time was excellent. These kids are training hard for Day 1.

AmsterBison
August 16th, 2018, 10:31 AM
https://youtu.be/ZbqTKe9QokU

Episode 2: Earn It

I thought the addition of giving the S&C coach some air time was excellent. These kids are training hard for Day 1.

New diet plan: "If it had eyes, it ran, it swam or jumped... eat it."

Also,

Q. What has no eyes, but can run, swim, or jump?
A. I don't know, but I ain't eating it.

Seriously, gotta like Idaho's attitude. I could see them making the playoffs.

VandalBasher
August 16th, 2018, 11:01 AM
I like the "earn it" attitude. Based on last year's results, the Vandals would have been ranked around 4th or 5th in the BSC.

There will be a lot of work to do before Idaho deserves any recognition.

IBleedYellow
August 16th, 2018, 01:50 PM

They can have more than 63 scholly players - FCS allows you to give out partials. They just can't have more than 63 equivalent scholarships.

Personally I don't want to see Idaho succeed this year at all, or maybe even next year. I think that it would look really bad on the FCS to see someone drop down from the FBS and just come in an dominate and kick ass. I realize that they have the history of doing well in the FCS 22+ years ago, but I reallllly don't think it would be a good look for the FCS as a whole if they just come in ready to rock.

No offense, Vandal fans. Those of you who have started posting here have been great additions to the community. It's not personal, it's about the principle and image perspective.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 16th, 2018, 03:14 PM
They can have more than 63 scholly players - FCS allows you to give out partials. They just can't have more than 63 equivalent scholarships.

Personally I don't want to see Idaho succeed this year at all, or maybe even next year. I think that it would look really bad on the FCS to see someone drop down from the FBS and just come in an dominate and kick ass. I realize that they have the history of doing well in the FCS 22+ years ago, but I reallllly don't think it would be a good look for the FCS as a whole if they just come in ready to rock.

No offense, Vandal fans. Those of you who have started posting here have been great additions to the community. It's not personal, it's about the principle and image perspective.

Eh, I can see where you are coming from but let's be honest, when an FCS moves up they always do very well and usually challenge at the top of the conference they go to. That doesn't look good because it should not happen. This should happen. They should be at this level with players and scholarships, etc. I want them in the hunt, it makes it way more fun for most of us and it makes it way easier for the administration that made the correct move here. It also lights a fire under incoming fans. They need that, we (FCS) need that.

Big games, good times.

BisonFan02
August 16th, 2018, 06:44 PM
The FCS needs more cream of the crop programs....the more, the merrier.

Thumper 76
August 16th, 2018, 09:53 PM
The FCS needs more cream of the crop programs....the more, the merrier.

My opinion is that it’s probably best of both worlds for Idaho to make the playoffs and win a game vs an easier playoff matchup in the first round, then losing at a power program like NDSU, or to a lesser extent SDSU or a JSU. It show their program and fan base that FCS was a good move while showing that the top of FCS is quality football, and giving other programs that should drop back or should have never left that this is a good move. If they aren’t competitive it does nothing good IMO. It justifies their angry alums, to them and other schools it makes more sense to be bad in FBS vs being bad in FCS, at least they get a shiny label there (in their minds). Also, a playoff year with some excitement would be a great thing for their program to grow off of. I want to see more new strong programs in FCS, not less, and Idaho certainly has the potential to be one. A playoff season with a playoff win is what their fan base really needs to try to get them to rally behind this FCS thing, along with some exciting rivalry games.

VandalBasher
August 17th, 2018, 07:58 AM
It is all coming down to preparation. At 7-4, I don't think the Vandals make the playoffs. Luckily, Idaho doesn't play Weber, NAU and Sac. St. and we have Montana and S. Utah at home.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 17th, 2018, 12:24 PM
My opinion is that it’s probably best of both worlds for Idaho to make the playoffs and win a game vs an easier playoff matchup in the first round, then losing at a power program like NDSU, or to a lesser extent SDSU or a JSU. It show their program and fan base that FCS was a good move while showing that the top of FCS is quality football, and giving other programs that should drop back or should have never left that this is a good move. If they aren’t competitive it does nothing good IMO. It justifies their angry alums, to them and other schools it makes more sense to be bad in FBS vs being bad in FCS, at least they get a shiny label there (in their minds). Also, a playoff year with some excitement would be a great thing for their program to grow off of. I want to see more new strong programs in FCS, not less, and Idaho certainly has the potential to be one. A playoff season with a playoff win is what their fan base really needs to try to get them to rally behind this FCS thing, along with some exciting rivalry games.

Sometimes I wonder if I have a split personality with you Thumpey.

BisonFan02
August 17th, 2018, 06:00 PM

We are going to stomp a mudhole in their behind and show them our fake dome is louder.

dgtw
August 18th, 2018, 06:06 AM

I check your message board occasionally and I see people who think they will suddenly change their mind.

I hate that you lost out on the musical chairs of realignment, but that’s life. NMSU is forging on as an Indy, but how long can they sustain that with no conference money or scheduling help? As it is, they are playing Liberty twice a year.

Good luck going forward.

KPSUL
August 18th, 2018, 10:14 AM
My opinion is that it’s probably best of both worlds for Idaho to make the playoffs and win a game vs an easier playoff matchup in the first round, then losing at a power program like NDSU, or to a lesser extent SDSU or much lesser extent a JSU. It show their program and fan base that FCS was a good move while showing that the top of FCS is quality football, and giving other programs that should drop back or should have never left that this is a good move. If they aren’t competitive it does nothing good IMO. It justifies their angry alums, to them and other schools it makes more sense to be bad in FBS vs being bad in FCS, at least they get a shiny label there (in their minds). Also, a playoff year with some excitement would be a great thing for their program to grow off of. I want to see more new strong programs in FCS, not less, and Idaho certainly has the potential to be one. A playoff season with a playoff win is what their fan base really needs to try to get them to rally behind this FCS thing, along with some exciting rivalry games.

There, FIFY!

Thumper 76
August 18th, 2018, 12:17 PM
I’m just the less mentally stable version xlolx

There, FIFY!

xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
August 18th, 2018, 08:15 PM
I’m just the less mentally stable version xlolx

xlolx

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?207935-FCS-Discussion-Thread-Drift-Diversion-Project&p=2657538&viewfull=1#post2657538

BisonFan02
August 19th, 2018, 06:56 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?207935-FCS-Discussion-Thread-Drift-Diversion-Project&p=2657538&viewfull=1#post2657538

I ain't clicking that. I don't believe it.

VandalBasher
August 22nd, 2018, 05:36 PM
"The Return" Episode 4: Go Time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1sAOnT2618

The first post is updated with all four videos.

VandalBasher
August 29th, 2018, 09:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0zZPo6Aax0

Paul Petrino presser 28AUG2018.

VandalBasher
August 29th, 2018, 09:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtWNbPp12fk
Vernon Smith Mic'd Up
https://govandals.com/staff.aspx?staff=224
Vernon Smith is in his first season on the Idaho football staff.

VandalBasher
August 29th, 2018, 09:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxUza1GRctM
Vandal plane!

VandalBasher
August 29th, 2018, 09:57 PM
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/07/24/1b/07241b61c1ad65679e71e80e17870784.jpg