PDA

View Full Version : STATS 2018 FCS All-American Team

SU DOG
July 31st, 2018, 05:18 PM
https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2018-07-31/fcs-football-2018-stats-preseason-all-america-team-announced

TheKingpin28
July 31st, 2018, 06:29 PM
Quick glance:

-Easton at #2 might be slightly high for my liking but that's fine.
-TC not making it is a joke
-Chris Stewart at 3rd team is questionable, should be higher
-Jabril Cox at 3rd team is a travesty.
-De'Arius Christmas I believe should have been 1st team. Dude is a freak of nature.
-Vinatieri should have at least made a team for PK
-Chandler Burks is an interesting player and I see they gave 2 APs for 2nd team so that is fine.
-Bruce might not even be the best back on the Bison and seeing 1st team honors says a lot about that backfield.
-FB is an interesting position as they should create a blocking and a rushing as TO offenses use a "version" of a FB but not necessarily a true FB.
-Deion Harris is that odd man out in that 1st team line-up for DBs

These were just going through and glancing at what I saw.

Professor Chaos
July 31st, 2018, 08:25 PM
I have a hard time buying that there are 10 WRs in the FCS better than JMU's Riley Stapleton.

Derby City Duke
July 31st, 2018, 09:18 PM
I have a hard time buying that there are 10 WRs in the FCS better than JMU's Riley Stapleton.

While I wholeheartedly agree with you in principle, I believe his actual live action sample size isn't large enough. He was not heavily used in the regular season. Know he missed 2 games with a broken hand/finger(s). He made the huge splash in the playoffs, piling up 23 catches (55% of season total) for 428 yards (70%) and 3 TDs (60%). He also had 3 games with 0 receptions and 3 other games with 1 or 2 catches.

I can see why the voters would 'overlook' him a bit. He has a good showing against NC State in the opener and he establishes himself as a probable 1st/2nd teamer.

Scooter
July 31st, 2018, 11:01 PM
I agree that TC from SDSU should be on here. He's being judged on one performance.

Thumper 76
July 31st, 2018, 11:10 PM
I agree that TC from SDSU should be on here. He's being judged on one performance.

Oh well. Nationally a massive meltdown in the semis is going to leave an impression that’s not going to be shaken over one summer. There’s probably a reason the MVFC media guys who have seen him in action have a high opinion of him compared to nationally. He’s got an entire season to show that game was an aberration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WestCoastAggie
August 1st, 2018, 02:49 AM
No offensive All-Americans for A&T despite going undefeated... Wow.

TheKingpin28
August 1st, 2018, 06:15 AM
I agree that TC from SDSU should be on here. He's being judged on one performance.Anyone that has seen him play knows he is a bit below Devlin at Samford but above Gage and potentially above Easton due to the different systems they run. I'd take Easton over TC, but some saying they'd take TC over Easton is fine by me.

As I said earlier, I'm glad they gave Chandler an AP position as I feel like he would have taken away from the QB position due to him mainly being a runner. All of that said, there are not 5 better QBs in the FCS and anyone who says that, is either A) lying through their teeth or B) playing blind homerism

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

BisonTru
August 1st, 2018, 06:24 AM
Honestly I think this list looks pretty damn good. I know people mentioned Taryn but Case Cookus could also be in the mix at QB. The three QBs on the list are all very deserving, imo.

BEAR
August 1st, 2018, 07:24 AM
Proud of Chris. Got a chance to meet him at a practice session last year in the 100+ degree heat. He came over and said hi to me and my youngest son. We briefly spoke before the next drill started. Class act and goes ALL IN even in practice. You see him barking direction at the Dline in games and practices. Glad we have him for a couple more years!

First Team

DL - Chris Terrell, junior, 6-3, 266, Central Arkansas

Terrell, from Pensacola, Fla., was a first-team selection on the 2018 STATS FCS Preseason All-America team. Terrell had 11 sacks and a Southland Conference-leading 20.0 tackles for loss last season as a sophomore, and was also fourth in the league in forced fumbles with three. Terrell was a first-team All-SLC selection last season and a preseason first-team All-SLC selection heading into the 2018 season.

http://www.ucasports.com/news/2018/7/31/football-terrell-earns-stats-fcs-all-america-honors.aspx

http://www.ucasports.com/images/2018/7/31/rp_primary_CHRIS_TERRELL_WEB_II.jpg

smallcollegefbfan
August 1st, 2018, 08:10 AM
Quick glance:

-Easton at #2 might be slightly high for my liking but that's fine.
-TC not making it is a joke
-Chris Stewart at 3rd team is questionable, should be higher
-Jabril Cox at 3rd team is a travesty.
-De'Arius Christmas I believe should have been 1st team. Dude is a freak of nature.
-Vinatieri should have at least made a team for PK
-Chandler Burks is an interesting player and I see they gave 2 APs for 2nd team so that is fine.
-Bruce might not even be the best back on the Bison and seeing 1st team honors says a lot about that backfield.
-FB is an interesting position as they should create a blocking and a rushing as TO offenses use a "version" of a FB but not necessarily a true FB.
-Deion Harris is that odd man out in that 1st team line-up for DBs

These were just going through and glancing at what I saw.

The DL is so stacked that I could see Stewart on a 2nd or 3rd team. LB is another very stacked position. Hard to fit both Cox and Christmas on a 1st team when you know Messer, Buss, and Rozeboom have to be there.

I agree with the rest. I also think the snubs of North Alabama S Chris Johnson are surprising. He was a AFCA All-American in D2 last year and is considered a mid to late round NFL prospect. Johnson ran in the 4.4s at his junior pro day in bad conditions.

smallcollegefbfan
August 1st, 2018, 08:12 AM

Probably true but he did not produce enough to warrant being listed over those who were picked right now. He is one of those who could easily be on the postseason list though.

FUBeAR
August 1st, 2018, 08:14 AM
Proud of Chris. Got a chance to meet him at a practice session last year in the 100+ degree heat. He came over and said hi to me and my youngest son. We briefly spoke before the next drill started. Class act and goes ALL IN even in practice. You see him barking direction at the Dline in games and practices. Glad we have him for a couple more years!

First Team

http://www.ucasports.com/news/2018/7/31/football-terrell-earns-stats-fcs-all-america-honors.aspx

Looks like a good candidate for one of those LARGE hanging vinyl posters for your Tailgate tent like I posted over in that thread you started. Add a personalized autograph and you’ve got a nice addition to your already nice set-up.

smallcollegefbfan
August 1st, 2018, 08:16 AM

Big meltdown in playoffs and there are a lot of good QBs. We have Chandler Burks, Gage Gubrud, Case Cookus, Lamar Raynard, Devlin Hodges, and Easton Stick to consider. If I'm putting a MVFC QB on an AA team right now I would go with TC over Stick for now though.

- - - Updated - - -

No offensive All-Americans for A&T despite going undefeated... Wow.

I thought Raynard would get more love in general from the media.

smallcollegefbfan
August 1st, 2018, 08:19 AM
Honestly I think this list looks pretty damn good. I know people mentioned Taryn but Case Cookus could also be in the mix at QB. The three QBs on the list are all very deserving, imo.

I like Cookus a lot. I would put him over Stick and TC just because he has Butler returning and is going to put up big numbers in the Big Sky so he will likely be on postseason teams.

- - - Updated - - -

First Team

Definite 1st team guy in a loaded FCS DL group for 2018.

TheKingpin28
August 1st, 2018, 08:23 AM
The DL is so stacked that I could see Stewart on a 2nd or 3rd team. LB is another very stacked position. Hard to fit both Cox and Christmas on a 1st team when you know Messer, Buss, and Rozeboom have to be there.

I agree with the rest. I also think the snubs of North Alabama S Chris Johnson are surprising. He was a AFCA All-American in D2 last year and is considered a mid to late round NFL prospect. Johnson ran in the 4.4s at his junior pro day in bad conditions.I still think 3rd for Cox is low. Completely forgot about Johnson out of UNA. Jumping up from D2 I overlooked that.

smallcollegefbfan
August 1st, 2018, 08:38 AM
I still think 3rd for Cox is low. Completely forgot about Johnson out of UNA. Jumping up from D2 I overlooked that.

3rd for Cox is low. Should be 1st or 2nd team for sure. Christmas is playing in a SWAC conference that is not very strong so I would go with Cox over him.

JSUSoutherner
August 1st, 2018, 08:42 AM
Willing to bet we have more than two picks at the end of the season.

smallcollegefbfan
August 1st, 2018, 08:43 AM
One player that I don't understand the love for is Harvard's Larry Allen. He did not play last year and I'm told is just 6'2, 282 pounds. I'm always skeptical when a player missed an entire year and usually downgrade a bit. I could see him on a 3rd or 4th team but that's about it.

2 OL to keep an eye on in the postseason are Drew Forbes of SEMO and Matt Kaskey of Dartmouth. I believe Forbes will end up going to the NFL combine and be a 1st or 2nd team pick in the postseason.

smallcollegefbfan
August 1st, 2018, 08:44 AM
Willing to bet we have more than two picks at the end of the season.

I could see Autry, Scozzaro, Ware, Bridges, and Robinson all making a postseason team.

McNeese72
August 1st, 2018, 08:46 AM
Wow! McNeese got a player on the second team!! Must be a mistake. We don't have any players. ;)

Doc

JSUSoutherner
August 1st, 2018, 08:48 AM
I could see Autry, Scozzaro, Ware, Bridges, and Robinson all making a postseason team.
What are your thoughts on our QBs? Not neccnecessily for accolades but in general? I haven't had a chance to see Cooper play yet but I've heard good things.

smallcollegefbfan
August 1st, 2018, 08:53 AM
What are your thoughts on our QBs? Not neccnecessily for accolades but in general? I haven't had a chance to see Cooper play yet but I've heard good things.

I have not watched them yet.

smallcollegefbfan
August 1st, 2018, 08:54 AM
Wow! McNeese got a player on the second team!! Must be a mistake. We don't have any players. ;)

Doc

Between Hamm, Ross, and Raborn I am surprised you don't have at least 2 on the list.

McNeese72
August 1st, 2018, 09:58 AM
Between Hamm, Ross, and Raborn I am surprised you don't have at least 2 on the list.

I doubt any of our runningbacks will get big numbers this season because we are so stacked at RB. We have Hamm and Pratt from last season. We have seniors Ryan Ross (the older Ross) and Ben Jones back after both missed last season with injuries. Then we have a couple of young ones that looked good in the spring.

We just need some OL and WR's to step up this season.

Doc

Thumper 76
August 1st, 2018, 12:58 PM

Doc

I doubt any of our runningbacks will get big numbers this season because we are so stacked at RB. We have Hamm and Pratt from last season. We have seniors Ryan Ross (the older Ross) and Ben Jones back after both missed last season with injuries. Then we have a couple of young ones that looked good in the spring.

We just need some OL and WR's to step up this season.

Doc

Sir, you are confusing me, because I know everything a McNeese man says is 100% true and would never be prone to such small non truths like sandbagging.

smallcollegefbfan
August 1st, 2018, 01:49 PM
Sir, you are confusing me, because I know everything a McNeese man says is 100% true and would never be prone to such small non truths like sandbagging.

There is really no point in a fan sandbagging or bragging. Just tell the truth. If your team should win 4-5 games then fine. If they should be a conference title contender then fine. I would rather not say either way if I was a fan because then people won't take it seriously when you project good or bad results.

Daytripper
August 1st, 2018, 01:54 PM
There is really no point in a fan sandbagging or bragging. Just tell the truth. If your team should win 4-5 games then fine. If they should be a conference title contender then fine. I would rather not say either way if I was a fan because then people won't take it seriously when you project good or bad results.

McNeese fans are well known for their prodigious bags.

caribbeanhen
August 1st, 2018, 01:56 PM
3rd for Cox is low. Should be 1st or 2nd team for sure. Christmas is playing in a SWAC conference that is not very strong so I would go with Cox over him.

FB Fan, if memory serves, you overlooked Adderley last year

TheKingpin28
August 1st, 2018, 01:57 PM
There is really no point in a fan sandbagging or bragging. Just tell the truth. If your team should win 4-5 games then fine. If they should be a conference title contender then fine. I would rather not say either way if I was a fan because then people won't take it seriously when you project good or bad results.It was sarcasm as we all know McNeese is the biggest sandbaggers outside of Thumper on this board. xthumbsupx

Thumper 76
August 1st, 2018, 02:46 PM
It was sarcasm as we all know McNeese is the biggest sandbaggers outside of Thumper on this board. xthumbsupx

I’m just honest

TheKingpin28
August 1st, 2018, 02:51 PM
I’m just honest

And I'm good at winning bets. xdrunkyx

McNeese72
August 1st, 2018, 02:53 PM

I said we are stacked at RB. I didn't say that any of them could run worth a lick. ;)

Besides you have to have a decent offensive line to run the ball.
Doc

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
August 1st, 2018, 03:19 PM

Didn't you know the Sand Bag was invented by John McNeese! He single handedly defeated the confederates (with all their southern speed) during the battle of Stones River by building the first sand bag wall entirely too high. And thus the day was won.

McNeese72
August 1st, 2018, 04:10 PM
Didn't you know the Sand Bag was invented by John McNeese! He single handedly defeated the confederates (with all their southern speed) during the battle of Stones River by building the first sand bag wall entirely too high. And thus the day was won.

Nah, he wasn't very good with the sandbags. He didn't have a good enough line of men to lay them down. ;)

Doc