PDA

View Full Version : SNW- Dakotas and Gateway make perfect match

TexasTerror
March 13th, 2007, 10:04 AM
From our buddy, Matt D at the Sports Network. Winners and losers determined from the acquisition of the Gateway. Discussion of improvements to the Gateway and how the GWFC schools are going to have some scheduling issues...

Extra Point - Dakotas and Gateway make perfect match

By Matt Dougherty, FCS Editor

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - The Gateway Football Conference, North Dakota State and South Dakota State moved quickly and with meaning in a brief courtship that landed the Dakota state schools as members of the conference beginning in 2008.

While the wooing period was abbreviated, the marriage between the schools and the league should be long lasting and fruitful for both parties. After one more season, North Dakota State and South Dakota State leave the fledgling Great West for the long-term security and potential automatic bid that comes from an established conference. At the same time, the Gateway will increase its visibility in the Midwest and become the most balanced league in the country with Youngstown State, Northern Iowa, Southern Illinois, Illinois State, Western Illinois and the Dakota schools all capable of making a playoff run or more every year.

With the addition of the two schools, the Gateway Conference will feature six teams that were ranked in the final Sports Network top 25 in 2006. With those types of numbers to go along with a strong playoff history, Gateway commissioner Patty Viverito believes 2008 will bring an even stronger position for her conference in the FCS universe.

"One can justifiably argue the Gateway is the strongest, deepest, and most respected FCS conference in the nation," Viverito said in a Gateway Conference press release. "The decision to add North Dakota State and South Dakota State leaves no doubt."

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/AGN4067924.htm

89Hen
March 13th, 2007, 10:12 AM
With the addition of the two schools, the Gateway Conference will feature six teams that were ranked in the final Sports Network top 25 in 2006. With those types of numbers to go along with a strong playoff history, Gateway commissioner Patty Viverito believes 2008 will bring an even stronger position for her conference in the FCS universe.

"One can justifiably argue the Gateway is the strongest, deepest, and most respected FCS conference in the nation," Viverito said in a Gateway Conference press release. "The decision to add North Dakota State and South Dakota State leaves no doubt."
Certainly at the top of the list, but AFAIK, neither NDSU or SDSU has ever won a playoff game. We will have to wait to see what this does to the conference in relation to playoffs. With 8 conference games instead of 7, that's quite a few more losses that need to be spread around. That possibly means more 7-4 teams in the Gateway and perhaps a dillution of playoff visits for the current members. One of the theories I've had about why the CAA used to struggle in the playoffs is you had a different team in the playoffs every year and they were very green. Teams like Montana (this is not meant as any disrespect to the Griz) have players that have 2-3 years of playoff experience on the team. Of course there are exceptions where a team is just plain old good and doesn't need playoff experience, but surely it must help.

lizrdgizrd
March 13th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Certainly at the top of the list, but AFAIK, neither NDSU or SDSU has ever won a playoff game. We will have to wait to see what this does to the conference in relation to playoffs. With 8 conference games instead of 7, that's quite a few more losses that need to be spread around. That possibly means more 7-4 teams in the Gateway and perhaps a dillution of playoff visits for the current members. One of the theories I've had about why the CAA used to struggle in the playoffs is you had a different team in the playoffs every year and they were very green. Teams like Montana (this is not meant as any disrespect to the Griz) have players that have 2-3 years of playoff experience on the team. Of course there are exceptions where a team is just plain old good and doesn't need playoff experience, but surely it must help.
It certainly wouldn't hurt. But you'd also think that playing a conference schedule like the Gateway would prepare a team for the level of competition that they'd see in the playoffs. xtwocentsx

AmsterBison
March 13th, 2007, 11:26 AM
I thought this was a great article... lots of good insights but I don't care if the Gateway is considered the toughest conference. If NDSU lacks FCS playoff experience, getting into an autobid conference is sure a good start to getting some.

igo4uni
March 13th, 2007, 10:03 PM
An already very difficult Gateway schedule is now much tougher.xdohx xdohx

March 13th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Let's look at GFC and A-10 playoff success for the last five years (correct me where I'm wrong please).

GFC (8 teams): 1 title and 2 finalists. 6 teams with playoff wins (of 6 teams in the playoffs). 2 years/teams one and done*. 6 times lost to champ or finalist.

A-10 (11/12 teams): 2 titles and 3 finalists. 7 teams with playoff wins (of 8 teams in the playoffs). 3 years/teams one and done*. 6 times lost to champ or finalist.

Western Ky (champ)
Western Il (lost to champ Western Ky)
Villanova (lost to finalist McNeese State)
Maine

*Northeastern

Western Il (lost to finalist Colgate)
Western Ky
Northern Iowa (lost to champ Delaware)
Delaware (champ)

*Southern Il (lost to champ Delaware)
*UMass (lost to finalist Colgate)

New Hampshire (lost to finalist Montana)
William & Mary (lost to champ James Madison)
Delaware
James Madison (champ)

*Southern Il
*Western Ky

New Hampshire (lost to finalist UNI)
Richmond
Southern Il (lost to champ ASU)
Northern Iowa (finalist)

Illinois State
Southern Illinois
Youngstown State (lost to champ ASU)
UMass (finalist)
New Hampshire (lost to finalist UMass)

*James Madison

March 14th, 2007, 01:37 PM
not much more to say huh?

lizrdgizrd
March 14th, 2007, 02:07 PM
not much more to say huh?
They seem fairly even to me. xeyebrowx

March 14th, 2007, 02:20 PM
They seem fairly even to me. Yeah except the GFC has 33% less teams...

lizrdgizrd
March 14th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Yeah except the GFC has 33% less teams...
Yes. Also 1/2 as many titles, 1/3 as many finalists, 1/7 fewer playoff wins, 1/4 fewer teams in playoffs, 1/3 fewer 1 and done years, equal champ/finalist losses. That's pretty even to me. xpeacex

Point being, they're both good conferences. xthumbsupx

Cap'n Cat
March 14th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Yes. Also 1/2 as many titles, 1/3 as many finalists, 1/7 fewer playoff wins, 1/4 fewer teams in playoffs, 1/3 fewer 1 and done years, equal champ/finalist losses. That's pretty even to me. xpeacex

Point being, they're both good conferences. xthumbsupx

Ahem.......

The Gateway has only been in existence since 1985; seven years AFTER I-AA playoffs commenced. Adjusted for this time, The GFC very well rules.

Thank you,

Cap'n Cat

March 14th, 2007, 05:44 PM
... That's pretty even to me. Point being, they're both good conferences. Yeah.

GFC
12% champs
25% finalists
75% teams with wins in the playoffs
Twice one and done

CAA (A-10)
16% champs
25% finalists
58% teams with wins in the playoffs
Thrice one and done

Last Five Years GPI Average:
27.56 Great West Football Conference (only three years)
29.54 Atlantic 10 Conference
30.89 Gateway Football Conference
31.09 Big Sky Conference
38.91 Southland Conference
39.40 Southern Conference
45.13 Ivy League
51.81 Patriot League
54.94 Ohio Valley Conference
62.18 Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference
65.36 Big South Conference
68.90 Southwestern Athletic Conference
77.25 Pioneer Football League
78.10 Northeast Conference
88.04 Metro-Atlantic Athletic Conference

BearsCountry
March 14th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Also all the Gateway schools save the 2 new ones, have made the playoffs.