PDA

View Full Version : Who makes the playoffs from each conference?

VandalBasher
July 31st, 2018, 01:50 PM
Here are my picks from the Big Sky:

EWU
Weber St.
Montana

Reign of Terrier
July 31st, 2018, 01:55 PM
Anyone who tells you they know how the Socon will end up, with the exception of maybe Samford having the best shot of at least making the playoffs, is lying to you.

Gangtackle11
July 31st, 2018, 01:56 PM
JMU
UNH
pick 2 (DEL, NOVA, ELON, SB, RICH)

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 31st, 2018, 01:59 PM

Coin-flip between Lehigh and Colgate. Lehigh has had Colgate's number in recent years and the game is in Bethlehem. But, Colgate is the more sound, well rounded team heading into the season....

ElCid
July 31st, 2018, 01:59 PM
Anyone who tells you they know how the Socon will end up, with the exception of maybe Samford having the best shot of at least making the playoffs, is lying to you.

The only one I can see for sure is Samford. The only one for sure not to go is VMI. Everyone else has a shot.

FUBeAR
July 31st, 2018, 02:04 PM
Furman
Mercer
Samford
Wofford (maybe)

Panthers1995
July 31st, 2018, 02:05 PM
MVFC

NDSU
SDSU
UNI
WIU
YSU
ILST

VandalBasher
July 31st, 2018, 02:05 PM
MVFC

NDSU
SDSU
UNI
WIU
YSU
ILST

When was the last time a conference got six teams in the playoffs?

Reign of Terrier
July 31st, 2018, 02:08 PM
edit: double post

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 31st, 2018, 02:08 PM
MVFC

NDSU
SDSU
UNI
WIU
YSU
ILST

six teams?!?!

I have a very hard time seeing that. I think the CAA at the top will be better than the MVFC this year which will cause a bit of a power shift imo. It would take a few things happening around the country for one conference to get 6 teams. There's still too much parity outside of the top 2-3 teams in the country for one conference to get 6 teams in.

Panthers1995
July 31st, 2018, 02:10 PM
six teams?!?! I have a very hard time seeing that. I think the CAA at the top will be better than the MVFC this year which will cause a bit of a power shift imo. It would take a few things happening around the country for one conference to get 6 teams. There's still too much parity outside of the top 2-3 teams in the country for that to happen.

I think that WIU will be on the border from that group. UNI could also end up having to play their way in again this year because of the non conference schedule.

Thumper 76
July 31st, 2018, 02:11 PM
MVFC

NDSU
SDSU
UNI
WIU
YSU
ILST

That’s......a lot of teams my man. I would chop WIU And YSU out of that and feel pretty good about that. USeD could be a dark horse for the playoffs as much as I hate to say it. They really do bring back a lot from last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Panthers1995
July 31st, 2018, 02:13 PM
That’s......a lot of teams my man. I would chop WIU And YSU out of that and feel pretty good about that. USeD could be a dark horse for the playoffs as much as I hate to say it. They really do bring back a lot from last year.

USD has a shot but I personally think that Streveler was their whole team last year and could struggle replacing that this year.

FUBeAR
July 31st, 2018, 02:16 PM
When was the last time a conference got six teams in the playoffs?
Never...

The CAA had 5 Teams in the Playoffs in 2007 (Delaware, JMU, UMass, New Hampshire, & Richmond), 2008 (Richmond, Villanova, New Hampshire, JMU, & Maine), and 2011 (Towson, JMU, Maine, New Hampshire, & Old Dominion).

https://www.valley-football.org/news/20 ... h=football (https://www.valley-football.org/news/2017/11/21/valley-football-playoff-notebook-nov-22.aspx?path=football)

Playoff Bids - MVFC History
The MVFC has had a league-record five teams selected to the playoffs three times (2014, 2015, 2017). In the past four seasons, the MVFC has had a total of 19 bids. Only CAA Football has had as many as 5 bids in the same season (also three times).

Playoff Selections - MVFC History
5 -- three times (2014, 2015, 2017)
4 -- twice (2003, 2016)
3 or more -- 7 times (03, 06, 10, 12, 14, 15, 16)
2 or more -- 26 times (in 33 seasons)
2 or more playoff bids every year since 1995

Thumper 76
July 31st, 2018, 02:19 PM
USD has a shot but I personally think that Streveler was their whole team last year and could struggle replacing that this year.

I agree. They better be rolling right away because the end of their schedule is something they won’t be able to go into at 2-3 if they want playoffs. With the games @Weber and @SIU they will need to have their offense up and running.

TheKingpin28
July 31st, 2018, 02:21 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkBut how do you replace over 90% of your offense and expect to maintain the success? That is a serious question. Sure Nielson is a great coach and has had success at Duluth, WIU, and USeD, but replacing the man who should have won the Payton, is no easy task.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Thumper 76
July 31st, 2018, 02:23 PM
But how do you replace over 90% of your offense and expect to maintain the success? That is a serious question. Sure Nielson is a great coach and has had success at Duluth, WIU, and USeD, but replacing the man who should have won the Payton, is no easy task.

No idea. But when you have the majority of everyone else back, you got a shot at it at least I guess. You see this yote53, I’m boarderline sticking up for your team here xlolx

PaladinFan
July 31st, 2018, 02:24 PM

I consider Samford the front runner, but the gap isn't big.

Reign of Terrier
July 31st, 2018, 02:26 PM
I consider Samford the front runner, but the gap isn't big.

History suggests they'll have trouble winning the conference. But I do think, at the least, they will make the playoffs

fmftballmgr
July 31st, 2018, 02:34 PM
OVC

JSU

Professor Chaos
July 31st, 2018, 02:44 PM
It's pretty tough for the MVFC to get more than 4 teams in due to attrition since there's only 10 teams in the conference. It's more likely that the Big Sky or CAA gets 5 teams in just because there's enough wins to go around in those conferences to get that many teams up to 7 or 8 wins. When UND joins up I could see 5 being more reasonable for the MVFC. For this year I think 4 is most likely. Two will probably be NDSU and SDSU. The other two will probably be in the group of UNI, ISUr, WIU, and YSU. USD and SIU have outside shots but I think the league is just too tough for them to get the 4 or more conference wins they'd need to get there.

JSUSoutherner
July 31st, 2018, 02:50 PM
OVC:
No one.

VandalBasher
July 31st, 2018, 02:51 PM
Are any conferences getting left out of the playoffs? SWAC and Ivy, obviously.

TheKingpin28
July 31st, 2018, 02:52 PM
No idea. But when you have the majority of everyone else back, you got a shot at it at least I guess. You see this yote53, I’m boarderline sticking up for your team here xlolx

I still believe they will tread back to mediocrity.

Professor Chaos
July 31st, 2018, 02:53 PM
Are any conferences getting left out of the playoffs? SWAC and Ivy, obviously.
SWAC, Ivy, and the MEAC. The other 10 conferences all have autobids.

As far as who gets an at-large I'd say the Pioneer League and NEC are definitely 1 bid leagues. The Patriot League can probably be put into that group this year as well. The OVC only had one bid last year but it's not unusual for them to sneak in an at-large. The Big South only has 6 teams so it's kind of tough for them to get an at-large team in but they've done it consistently over the last few years although I wouldn't be surprised to see that come to an end this year. The rest (Big Sky, CAA, MVFC, SOCON, and Southland) are all almost guaranteed to have multiple playoff teams.

CappinHard
July 31st, 2018, 02:57 PM
Fwiw, here's dratings.com's take on the FCS playoff projection:

https://www.dratings.com/predictor/ncaa-football-predictions/fcs-playoff-projections/

FUBeAR
July 31st, 2018, 03:04 PM
SWAC, Ivy, and the MEAC. The other 10 conferences all have autobids.
Don’t the SWAC & MEAC still, technically, have their AutoBids, which are “pre-declined” because they send their ‘Champions’ to the Mastu...., I mean ‘Celebration Bowl’ so that they can play for ‘the National Championship?”

Regardless of if they do or don’t, technically, retain those Autobids, I’m pretty sure their ‘non-champions’ are eligible for and will accept At-Large Playoff Bids, if offered.

The Ivy League, on the other hand, does not allow any of their Football Teams to participate in Football Playoffs because of their position on the negative impact such participation would have on the Players’ academics performances...despite the fact, if I’m not mistaken, that all of their other 31 sponsored sports participate in post-season NCAA events...if they have that opportunity.

Panthers1995
July 31st, 2018, 03:05 PM

https://www.dratings.com/predictor/ncaa-football-predictions/fcs-playoff-projections/

After just a quick look at it I would say it is not worth very much. They have Monmouth and South Dakota getting an at large. South Dakota makes some sense but we all saw what happens when Monmouth makes the playoffs last year. I mean come on.

Professor Chaos
July 31st, 2018, 03:07 PM
Don’t the SWAC & MEAC still, technically, have their AutoBids, which are “pre-declined” because they send their ‘Champions’ to the Mastu...., I mean ‘Celebration Bowl’ so that they can play for ‘the National Championship?”

Regardless of if they do or don’t, technically, retain those Autobids, I’m pretty sure their ‘non-champions’ are eligible for and will accept At-Large Playoff Bids, if offered.

The Ivy League, on the other hand, does not allow any of their Football Teams to participate in Football Playoffs because of their position on the negative impact such participation would have on the Players’ academics performances...despite the fact, if I’m not mistaken, that all of their other 31 sponsored sports participate in post-season NCAA events...if they have that opportunity.
Yeah, that's a more accurate way of putting it. Any MEAC team not playing in the Celebration Bowl or any SWAC team not playing in the SWAC title game or not named Grambling or Southern (since they play their classic Thanksgiving weekend I believe) is eligible for an at-large selection.

IBleedYellow
July 31st, 2018, 03:24 PM

Who the hell are you and what did you do with Thumper?

katss07
July 31st, 2018, 03:25 PM
Southland

Nicholls St
Sam Houston
McNeese

Dont sleep on ACU you saw it here first.

Thumper 76
July 31st, 2018, 03:29 PM
Who the hell are you and what did you do with Thumper?

Dunno wHat the hEll you couLd Possibly be talking about. You Must bE thinking of someone else. xlolx

FUBeAR
July 31st, 2018, 03:31 PM

Not too bad...a few thoughts

Conference
Projected Bids
Projected Auto Bid
FUBeAR Comments

BIGSKY
Weber St
So, EWU is San Diego’s next victim then. Looking forward to it. I see SUU in that role, but either way I’m good and can live with 3 from the Big Lie. Probably should be 2, but the sheer creativity of their In-Conference OOC games (and vice-versa) earns them an extra slot.

BIGSOUTH
Kennesaw St
2 Teams? Monmouth again...really? No. If they want to be in the Playoffs, they should just join the NEC and take CCSU’s autobid. Otherwise, they need to get an early start on cooking their Thanksgiving turkeys.

CAA
James Madison
New Hampshire gets in at 6-5 for the 123rd consecutive year...with that same record :)

MVC
N Dakota St
Probably 5 again...not sure it will be these 5

NEC
Central Conn
OK...whatever

OVC
Jacksonville St
No GovLove from these guys, huh?

PAT
Colgate
OK...whatever

PION
San Diego
Thought they were a Big Sky Team...who knew?

SOUTHERN
Furman
Good call. Now bring that wasted Monmouth bid down here & give it to Woffy. Mercer is already in on my bracket

SLAND
Sam Houston St
Would like to see Nicholls & McNeese in there. Adding Teams from Louisiana makes the FCS Playoffs an International event!

SWAC
No Auto Bid
Check - too bad

MEAC
No Auto Bid
Check - too bad

IVY
No Auto Bid
Y’know if y’all will just take Badminton, Media Survey, and Weight Training in the Fall Term like the rest of us, you could play in the reindeer games. C’mon...DO IT!

McNeese72
July 31st, 2018, 03:52 PM
Southland

Nicholls St
Sam Houston
McNeese

Dont sleep on ACU you saw it here first.

Nicholls has a very good chance of starting the season 0-4 with their schedule.

Doc

JSUSoutherner
July 31st, 2018, 04:19 PM
Dunno wHat the hEll you couLd Possibly be talking about. You Must bE thinking of someone else. xlolx

Illiminati confirmed.

TheKingpin28
July 31st, 2018, 04:25 PM

xsmileyclapx

katss07
July 31st, 2018, 04:29 PM
Nicholls has a very good chance of starting the season 0-4 with their schedule.

Doc
They could very well be 2-2. Remember they played FBS Georgia and FBS TX A&M close in back to back years. Its not like Kansas or Tulsa are FBS powerhouses. I think they go 1-1 against Sam and McNeese. I just see Nicholls as a talented team that could challenge for the SLC. Outside of the Sam game last season, they played really well.

VandalBasher
July 31st, 2018, 04:30 PM
Not too bad...a few thoughts

Conference
Projected Bids
Projected Auto Bid
FUBeAR Comments

BIGSKY
Weber St
So, EWU is San Diego’s next victim then. Looking forward to it. I see SUU in that role, but either way I’m good and can live with 3 from the Big Lie. Probably should be 2, but the sheer creativity of their In-Conference OOC games (and vice-versa) earns them an extra slot.

BIGSOUTH
Kennesaw St
2 Teams? Monmouth again...really? No. If they want to be in the Playoffs, they should just join the NEC and take CCSU’s autobid. Otherwise, they need to get an early start on cooking their Thanksgiving turkeys.

CAA
James Madison
New Hampshire gets in at 6-5 for the 123rd consecutive year...with that same record :)

MVC
N Dakota St
Probably 5 again...not sure it will be these 5

NEC
Central Conn
OK...whatever

OVC
Jacksonville St
No GovLove from these guys, huh?

PAT
Colgate
OK...whatever

PION
San Diego
Thought they were a Big Sky Team...who knew?

SOUTHERN
Furman
Good call. Now bring that wasted Monmouth bid down here & give it to Woffy. Mercer is already in on my bracket

SLAND
Sam Houston St
Would like to see Nicholls & McNeese in there. Adding Teams from Louisiana makes the FCS Playoffs an International event!

SWAC
No Auto Bid
Check - too bad

MEAC
No Auto Bid
Check - too bad

IVY
No Auto Bid
Y’know if y’all will just take Badminton, Media Survey, and Weight Training in the Fall Term like the rest of us, you could play in the reindeer games. C’mon...DO IT!

I have always been so amazed with the creativity people can get with their snark. The Big LIE. Hilarious.

PAllen
July 31st, 2018, 04:33 PM
PL - The auto bid who I have a sneaking suspicion won't be Lehigh or Colgate. It just feels like one of those years.

katss07
July 31st, 2018, 04:49 PM
PL - The auto bid who I have a sneaking suspicion won't be Lehigh or Colgate. It just feels like one of those years.
Fordham

Iridebikes
July 31st, 2018, 04:50 PM
Here are my picks from the Big Sky:

EWU
Weber St.
Montana

I think UI has a better chance then UM. Too many new things in Missoula including a coaching staff and QB. UI, while new to FCS, has FBS talent, stable leadership. You do need a QB but your line backers are really good. It will be fun.

VandalBasher
July 31st, 2018, 04:55 PM
I think UI has a better chance then UM. Too many new things in Missoula including a coaching staff and QB. UI, while new to FCS, has FBS talent, stable leadership. You do need a QB but your line backers are really good. It will be fun.

As a Vandal, my heart says yes.

A couple of things to keep in mind:
1. EWU has a two game winning streak on my Vandals since we went FBS
2. Montana has a four game winning streak on my Vandals since we went FBS
3. Mason Petrino, the coach's son, is in the mix for a starting position at QB when the consensus pick should be Colton Richardson

Our D will keep a lot of games 14-7 or 7-0, hopefully in our favor. There are too many "if's" in this offense to just say we have FBS talent.

FUBeAR
July 31st, 2018, 05:00 PM
UI, while new to FCS, has FBS talentReally? I thought they were in the Sun Belt.

TheValleyRaider
July 31st, 2018, 05:07 PM

That seems like a very roundabout way of saying "Fordham"

JSUSoutherner
July 31st, 2018, 05:12 PM
Really? I thought they were in the Sun Belt.

Don't you know? 4 win teams in the worst FBS conference are world beaters in the FCS.

Silenoz
July 31st, 2018, 05:48 PM
No one has picked Montana State? I'm telling you, those douchemongers have no reason not to make the playoffs this year. Granted they lost their QB, but he wasn't even a QB!

VandalBasher
July 31st, 2018, 06:05 PM

Yes, according to Sagarin, the Sun Belt Conference is only a couple of rungs above the Big Sky. We will see what level we can play at soon enough.

TheKingpin28
July 31st, 2018, 06:11 PM
How I see it based off of the current pre-season and where I believe teams are currently at for the 24 spots. I took the AGS T40 plus teams from 1 bid conferences as well as teams who are eligible for the tourney.

Big Sky: EWU, Idaho, MSU, UC-Davis, UM, Sac St, SUU, and WSU

Big South: KSU and Monmouth (Monmouth should NOT get in if KSU wins)

CAA: Delaware, Elon, JMU, Maine, UNH**, UR, SBU,and Villanova

MEAC: NCAT* and NCCU* (Only 1 might get in)

MVFC: ISUr, NDSU, SDSU, UNI, USeD, WIU, and YSU

NEC: Bryant,CCSU, andDuquense (Only 1 will get in)

OVC: JSU and APSU

Patriot: Colgate and Lehigh (Only 1 will get in)

PFL: USD and Dayton (Only 1 will get in)

SoCon: Furman, Mercer, Samford, The Citadel, WCU, and Wofford

Southland: McNeese, NSU, SHSU, SELA, and UCA

Lock (barring QB/key injury)
Contender
Bubble
Longshot
*Dependent on who goes to the Celebration Bowl
**Cause Scarano (For 4th and Short)

So I have the following:
-Locks: 9-11 (UNH being for teh lolz and NCAT hinging on the Celebration Bowl)
-Contenders: 11
-Bubble: 15
-Longshot: 9-10 (NCCU could bring fire if they get in over a strong bubble)
TOTAL = 47

Summary: Now we should be able to get rid of 5 teams from 1 bid leagues so that brings us down to 42. Now if we get rid of the longshots (including 1 bid leagues), that brings us down to 32 teams. So we look at those bubble teams, realistically speaking, lets make sure no league gets more than 5, then 3 teams are gone from the CAA and MVFC and I do not see the Big Sky getting more than 4, so we are taking out 4 teams and sitting at 28 teams. I believe that, once we take the locks, we are sitting at 18 teams fighting for 14 spots, so we should know more as to where we are sitting by week 5 and/or 6.

VandalBasher
July 31st, 2018, 07:04 PM
How I see it based off of the current pre-season and where I believe teams are currently at for the 24 spots. I took the AGS T40 plus teams from 1 bid conferences as well as teams who are eligible for the tourney.

Contender
Bubble
Longshot

So I have the following:
TOTAL = 47

Summary: Now we should be able to get rid of 5 teams from 1 bid leagues so that brings us down to 42. Now if we get rid of the longshots (including 1 bid leagues), that brings us down to 32 teams. So we look at those bubble teams, realistically speaking, lets make sure no league gets more than 5, then 3 teams are gone from the CAA and MVFC and I do not see the Big Sky getting more than 4, so we are taking out 4 teams and sitting at 28 teams. I believe that, once we take the locks, we are sitting at 18 teams fighting for 14 spots, so we should know more as to where we are sitting by week 5 and/or 6.

Vandal fans everywhere can only hope this is the scenario.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
July 31st, 2018, 07:20 PM

Games they won last year against good teams were very close. Without Streveler to lean on when they need a PLAY i just don't see them succeeding to the same level.

TheKingpin28
July 31st, 2018, 07:21 PM
Vandal fans everywhere can only hope this is the scenario.

Look at your schedule and based just off the preseason, I do not see how you do not have a leg up for the playoffs.

FUBeAR
July 31st, 2018, 07:36 PM

Contender
Bubble
Longshot

So I have the following:
TOTAL = 47

Summary: Now we should be able to get rid of 5 teams from 1 bid leagues so that brings us down to 42. Now if we get rid of the longshots (including 1 bid leagues), that brings us down to 32 teams. So we look at those bubble teams, realistically speaking, lets make sure no league gets more than 5, then 3 teams are gone from the CAA and MVFC and I do not see the Big Sky getting more than 4, so we are taking out 4 teams and sitting at 28 teams. I believe that, once we take the locks, we are sitting at 18 teams fighting for 14 spots, so we should know more as to where we are sitting by week 5 and/or 6. I think this is some A+ cipherin’...but I want to see if I can ‘extract’ your 18 & then parse out who the bottom 4 of those is 18 are most likely to be sitting home...but I can’t quite follow along. Can you list the 18?

Yotes21
July 31st, 2018, 07:42 PM
Games they won last year against good teams were very close. Without Streveler to lean on when they need a PLAY i just don't see them succeeding to the same level.

Every loss outside the NDSU game in Fargo last year was also a close game. That is the difference in the MVFC, if you can win close games. I think the Yotes are an unknown to many as I understand, we lost Strev... Pretty much the rest of the team is better overall with more depth also. So the question will be if Simmons can perform at QB. He can sling it with the best of them, but it comes down to accuracy. Time will tell, but Nielsen has outperformed his preseason ranking the last 3 years running. The MVFC this year from 2-7 could be in any order and there will be some surprises.

Mike296
July 31st, 2018, 07:42 PM

Contender
Bubble
Longshot

So I have the following:
TOTAL = 47

As much as I want to agree with us being in, we have a lot of ifs on offense and it really is going to come down to if our offense shows up or not in conference play whether or not we get a playoff bid. Our OOC is weak and it’s honestly going to take us knocking off Georgia for our OOC to mean anything(which isn’t happening)

PAllen
July 31st, 2018, 07:59 PM
That seems like a very roundabout way of saying "Fordham"

I was thinking more Holy Cross, Bucknell, or Lafayette sneak in with a one loss league record, but it could just as easily be Fordham.

Vandal03
July 31st, 2018, 08:02 PM
From Big Sky I have Idaho, Eastern Wa, NAU, and Weber State. If blue three make it NAU will be left out.

VandalBasher
July 31st, 2018, 08:10 PM
From Big Sky I have Idaho, Eastern Wa, NAU, and Weber State. If blue three make it NAU will be left out.

Vandal03, you are a good Vandal.

I have us just missing the playoffs at 7-4 with two FBS losses and L's against EWU and someone we have no business losing to.

Schism55
July 31st, 2018, 08:17 PM
Replace NAU with UC-Davis and you are spot on imo.
Lots of people sleeping on the Aggies.

TheKingpin28
July 31st, 2018, 08:37 PM
I think this is some A+ cipherin’...but I want to see if I can ‘extract’ your 18 & then parse out who the bottom 4 of those is 18 are most likely to be sitting home...but I can’t quite follow along. Can you list the 18?

These are my 4 teams and where I ranked them

YSU (NR): Outside of miracle year, Pelini has not done much in his time at YSU with 11-11 being his record in 2 out of 3 years. Too much turmoil/drama and not enough progress. We all know YSU is a stepping stone to a G5 HC or P5 coordinator position.

Elon (23): Is Davis Cheek the real deal or were the last few games, the Elon we all know. They also only won one game by more than 7, which ended up being 8pts and one can only get so lucky before it runs out.

Montana (22): #StittHappens Seriously though, how badly did he set back this team? Gresch is gone and he was a stud as a Freshman, half of the roster was overturned, Hauck is a solid coach but this is not a reload, this is a rebuild. How quickly can he grab this team and make the necessary changes to ensure stability? He opens up with UNI (UNI does not beat Montana), Drake (time to get things figured out if they had any hiccups against UNI), and @WIU. IMO, he needs a 2-1/3-0 start if he wants to look at the playoffs. I say that since the next 4 games should be a 4-0 sweep which puts them at 6-1/7-0 and that back 4 of UC-Davis, @SUU, @Idaho, MSU is not an easy slate by any means.

Mercer (NR): Outside of Alabama and Auburn (the latter which they did alright against), they ALWAYS caught the bad break. Losing 5 games by 28pts combined (take away Samford and goes to 11pts off of 4 games) has to be emotionally backbreaking. They have a team to win, but they always drew the short stick when they needed it most. Here is Lamb's chance to prove he is not .500 coach against equal competition (1st season was PFL) and that he can actually get the job done.

For the reason that I believe this needs to be said:

Idaho (NR): No one really knows what we are getting with them so I have to put them here. Are they they the 2016 team that came out of nowhere or are they your typical Slum Belt team that realized the FCS was truly for them all along. So then I ask, does this leave them demoralized dropping down to peer-competition and giving up on this fantasy that the FBS was for them?

TheKingpin28
July 31st, 2018, 08:41 PM
As much as I want to agree with us being in, we have a lot of ifs on offense and it really is going to come down to if our offense shows up or not in conference play whether or not we get a playoff bid. Our OOC is weak and it’s honestly going to take us knocking off Georgia for our OOC to mean anything(which isn’t happening)

The thing is, you learned that 3 FBS games costs you greatly. Anything less than 9-2 (JSU and Georgia) means you will stay home. You have a chance to come to the dance, so don't forget to grab your work shoes otherwise you will be leaving your brogues at home.

Vandal03
July 31st, 2018, 08:42 PM
Vandal03, you are a good Vandal.

I have us just missing the playoffs at 7-4 with two FBS losses and L's against EWU and someone we have no business losing to.

I really don’t know what to expect, so I am erroring on the side of overly optimistic. Idaho’s players have been competing against FBS teams and Petrino’s teams get better during the season. I don’t know how the qb play will be. I predict Richardson will win the job and Petrino is grooming his son to become a college football coach. I enjoy your posts on the 24/7 board. It is fun to read an enthusiastic Vandal fan’s posts instead of the negative posts.

VandalBasher
July 31st, 2018, 08:45 PM
I really don’t know what to expect, so I am erroring on the side of overly optimistic. Idaho’s players have been competing against FBS teams and Petrino’s teams get better during the season. I don’t know how the qb play will be. I predict Richardson will win the job and Petrino is grooming his son to become a college football coach. I enjoy your posts on the 24/7 board. It is fun to read an enthusiastic Vandal fan’s posts instead of the negative posts.

I attempted to play at this level for Keith Gilbertson. I personally know the quality of athlete that can be attained with proper recruiting. For that, I am excited about this year.

FUBeAR
July 31st, 2018, 08:58 PM
These are my 4 teams and where I ranked them

YSU (NR): Outside of miracle year, Pelini has not done much in his time at YSU with 11-11 being his record in 2 out of 3 years. Too much turmoil/drama and not enough progress. We all know YSU is a stepping stone to a G5 HC or P5 coordinator position.

Elon (23): Is Davis Cheek the real deal or were the last few games, the Elon we all know. They also only won one game by more than 7, which ended up being 8pts and one can only get so lucky before it runs out.

Montana (22): #StittHappens Seriously though, how badly did he set back this team? Gresch is gone and he was a stud as a Freshman, half of the roster was overturned, Hauck is a solid coach but this is not a reload, this is a rebuild. How quickly can he grab this team and make the necessary changes to ensure stability? He opens up with UNI (UNI does not beat Montana), Drake (time to get things figured out if they had any hiccups against UNI), and @WIU. IMO, he needs a 2-1/3-0 start if he wants to look at the playoffs. I say that since the next 4 games should be a 4-0 sweep which puts them at 6-1/7-0 and that back 4 of UC-Davis, @SUU, @Idaho, MSU is not an easy slate by any means.

Mercer (NR): Outside of Alabama and Auburn (the latter which they did alright against), they ALWAYS caught the bad break. Losing 5 games by 28pts combined (take away Samford and goes to 11pts off of 4 games) has to be emotionally backbreaking. They have a team to win, but they always drew the short stick when they needed it most. Here is Lamb's chance to prove he is not .500 coach against equal competition (1st season was PFL) and that he can actually get the job done.

For the reason that I believe this needs to be said:

Idaho (NR): No one really knows what we are getting with them so I have to put them here. Are they they the 2016 team that came out of nowhere or are they your typical Slum Belt team that realized the FCS was truly for them all along. So then I ask, does this leave them demoralized dropping down to peer-competition and giving up on this fantasy that the FBS was for them?

Still confused. Sort of looking for your list of 18 At-Large ‘possible’ Teams.

Are you saying these are your picks for the 4 of those 18 that won’t make the playoffs?

Anyway...1 clarification. Yes, Mercer’s 1st year (2013) was in the PFL and they went 10-2, but I don’t think it’s fair to discount the Coaching job done that year due to that level of competition. Mercer was playing with an entire Team of 18-19 year old R-FR walk-on’s with no college football game experience experience. They lost a decently competitive game @ San Diego after a cross country flight AND we know that SD is capable of taking down heavily experienced, full-scholarship Big Sky Teams...and that was the year that SD was ‘busted’ for actually giving Football scholarships...which they haven’t done since. The other loss was another long road trip to face a strong Marist Team...which, if the Bears had won would have put them in the Playoffs & won them a PFL Championship. Unfortunately, they laid their only egg of that season and turned the ball over more times in that game than they had all season. Just being in that position with a bunch of non-schollie rookies against experienced college Teams says A LOT about the Coaching.

So, while the “equal competition” comment is not fair, it is somewhat fair to say that this year Coach Lamb needs to prove he is more than a .500 Coach against SoCon competition when he has a Team made up of a full complement of SoCon level Players.

FUBeAR
July 31st, 2018, 09:02 PM
Idaho’s players have been competing against FBS teams.

van
July 31st, 2018, 09:18 PM
I was thinking more Holy Cross, Bucknell, or Lafayette sneak in with a one loss league record, but it could just as easily be Fordham.

something smells different up in Worcester this off season, and it's not rotting fish, not sure if it means a resurgence of the Jesuits or not but it sure might be

BisonTru
July 31st, 2018, 09:27 PM
MVFC:
North Dakota State
South Dakota State
Western Illinois
Illinois State

hoidOfYolen
August 1st, 2018, 12:11 AM
CAA:
JMU
UNH
Delaware
Elon
(Maybe) Stony Brook

In order of assuredness

Catbooster
August 1st, 2018, 01:59 AM
No one has picked Montana State? I'm telling you, those douchemongers have no reason not to make the playoffs this year. Granted they lost their QB, but he wasn't even a QB!
Thanks, I think? xeyebrowx

It all comes down to whether we're able to get good, consistent QB play. If we don't, the preseason predictions are probably about right, but if we find a good QB, I think we can be a playoff team. Not a contender to win it all, but a playoff team.

Catbooster
August 1st, 2018, 02:10 AM
Look at your schedule and based just off the preseason, I do not see how you do not have a leg up for the playoffs.
Two FBS teams (Fresno State and Florida) and a D-II? That doesn't seem like a schedule that sets them up for the playoffs to me. Unless you're fairly confident they'll either win against one of the FBS teams or win the conference. I think they'll be good, but their schedule isn't helping.

mvemjsunpx
August 1st, 2018, 03:12 AM
Big Sky

Eastern Washington (auto)
Sac State
NAU
Weber

EWU will probably lose to NAU in Flagstaff, but that one's a non-conference game.

WestCoastAggie
August 1st, 2018, 05:52 AM
MEAC Playoff Contenders:

1. NCAT
2. Howard
3. NCCU
4. BCU

Howard has a pretty strong shot, with A&T to make a receive an at-large bid if they don’t earn a aCB berth.

They finished 7-4 with an FBS win in Coach London’s first season. This year, he’s gunning for another FBS win + they play NEC title contender Bryant the last week of the season.

Kent State/Ohio or Bryant wins should get them to 8-3, or better, and a very attractive resume.

We already know about A&T’s path to a CB or Playoffs rest in their hands. If they beat Jax State and/or ECU to start the season, their OOC resume is enhanced. Should A&T and Howard tie for first at the end of the season, and these above scenarios happen, Sagarin Ratings will determine the CB berth. The other team should hopefully have done enough to not only get a berth, but not play a first round game.

TheKingpin28
August 1st, 2018, 06:04 AM
MEAC Playoff Contenders:

1. NCAT
2. Howard
3. NCCU
4. BCU

Howard has a pretty strong shot, with A&T to make a receive an at-large bid if they don’t earn a aCB berth.

They finished 7-4 with an FBS win in Coach London’s first season. This year, he’s gunning for another FBS win + they play NEC title contender Bryant the last week of the season.

Kent State/Ohio or Bryant wins should get them to 8-3, or better, and a very attractive resume.

We already know about A&T’s path to a CB or Playoffs rest in their hands. If they beat Jax State and/or ECU to start the season, their OOC resume is enhanced. Should A&T and Howard tie for first at the end of the season, and these above scenarios happen, Sagarin Ratings will determine the CB berth. The other team should hopefully have done enough to not only get a berth, but not play a first round game.You think a MEAC team gets seeded? Please explain? This has me intrigued.

PAllen
August 1st, 2018, 07:58 AM
You think a MEAC team gets seeded? Please explain? This has me intrigued.

If either Howard or NCAT go 10-1 with one conference loss this year, they are easily a seed. 9-2 with one conference loss and they could be in the discussion depending on how the rest of the division shakes out.

WestCoastAggie
August 1st, 2018, 08:16 AM
You think a MEAC team gets seeded? Please explain? This has me intrigued.

They're plenty of ifs involved here...

It's based off of A&T and Howard's OOC schedule.

A&T's OOC schedule: JSU, ECU, G-Webb, Morgan State
Howard's OOC Sched: Ohio, Kent State, Savannah State, Bryant

Both teams play NCCU and BCU on the road or at a neutral site, which will bump up their conference SOS.

NCAT and HOU gotta go 3-1 OOC or better, beat BCU and NCCU and then tie for first in the MEAC for either team to get a seed.

fmftballmgr
August 1st, 2018, 09:16 AM

Also you are not going to sneak up on anybody this year. I was guilty of thinking that any week they are going to resort to going back to being Peay that we know and love (the one where you are everybody's homecoming). I also think that the OVC has not earned the respect of the committee to give us two teams in the playoffs unless someone can jump up and knock of JSU.

JSUSoutherner
August 1st, 2018, 09:24 AM
Also you are not going to sneak up on anybody this year. I was guilty of thinking that any week they are going to resort to going back to being Peay that we know and love (the one where you are everybody's homecoming). I also think that the OVC has not earned the respect of the committee to give us two teams in the playoffs unless someone can jump up and knock of JSU.

I wish you guys were half as good at football as you are at basketball, that would help the whole "OVC gets no respect" thing.

fmftballmgr
August 1st, 2018, 09:31 AM
I wish you guys were half as good at football as you are at basketball, that would help the whole "OVC gets no respect" thing.

I wish were also. Hopefully the new AD will help that out and not give all his/her attention to men's basketball like the outgoing SOB did.

This year may be rough for us again. Coach on the last year of his contract without an extension offered yet, a very difficult front loaded schedule top off with getting a new AD in the future.

Yote 53
August 1st, 2018, 09:33 AM

I see that! I understand that outsiders see that Streveler is gone and they believe he was the entire team so it's all over. Thing is that USD has some other very talented QBs that will be taking over the reigns. Will there be a drop in offensive production? Yes, no, maybe? It's possible the offense is even better as defenses won't be able to key in on one guy as USD goes with a more diverse offensive attack. The other thing is that it's not like we have a complete unknown commodity coming in at QB. Streveler got hurt early in the game against SIU and Austin Simmons came in off the bench and only led USD to a 42-0 win over the Salukis. From everything I have seen of Simmons he is dang good. A different QB than Streveler, more of a pure passer. I think he'll be fine, and like you said, USD has practically everyone coming back and has added more depth.

Think of it this way, if you believe that USD is done because they lost Streveler and all his offensive production then you should have the same analysis about SDSU and their losses of Goedert and Weineke, yet on a national and conference level everyone believes they will be contenders.

JSUSoutherner
August 1st, 2018, 09:55 AM
I wish were also. Hopefully the new AD will help that out and not give all his/her attention to men's basketball like the outgoing SOB did.

This year may be rough for us again. Coach on the last year of his contract without an extension offered yet, a very difficult front loaded schedule top off with getting a new AD in the future.

It may be bigger than it appears. If the plan is to move to the MVC and drop football it may not be worth it to attempt rebuilding the program. Personally, I hope your AD cleans house and brings in a new coach with an entirely new staff. Use Austin Peay as a role model, don't get another dude in his 40s from a mediocre program, go get someone young and exciting from a proven system who can recruit. Coach Stewart has had three seasons and shown zero improvement and should be shown the door regardless of what happens this season. The guy has beating UT-Martin last year on his list of career achievements on Murray State's website for crying out loud. If that's his idea of "accomplishment" show the man the door.

TheKingpin28
August 1st, 2018, 10:06 AM
I see that! I understand that outsiders see that Streveler is gone and they believe he was the entire team so it's all over. Thing is that USD has some other very talented QBs that will be taking over the reigns. Will there be a drop in offensive production? Yes, no, maybe? It's possible the offense is even better as defenses won't be able to key in on one guy as USD goes with a more diverse offensive attack. The other thing is that it's not like we have a complete unknown commodity coming in at QB. Streveler got hurt early in the game against SIU and Austin Simmons came in off the bench and only led USD to a 42-0 win over the Salukis. From everything I have seen of Simmons he is dang good. A different QB than Streveler, more of a pure passer. I think he'll be fine, and like you said, USD has practically everyone coming back and has added more depth.

Think of it this way, if you believe that USD is done because they lost Streveler and all his offensive production then you should have the same analysis about SDSU and their losses of Goedert and Weineke, yet on a national and conference level everyone believes they will be contenders.Difference is, Streveler WAS your offense. They still have Lewis and TC which is about 50% of the offense. That is a huge difference at the end of the day.

Also helps they have a top 2 defense in the Valley and a top 10 nationally.

Yotes21
August 1st, 2018, 10:22 AM
Difference is, Streveler WAS your offense. They still have Lewis and TC which is about 50% of the offense. That is a huge difference at the end of the day.

Also helps they have a top 2 defense in the Valley and a top 10 nationally.

Where are you getting those numbers? They were not #2 in the Valley nor top 10 nationally.

Lewis maybe had 400 yards last year, compared to 1k for the other two. They also lost Mangerelli who had a decent season.

I'm not saying the new players cannot step up for them, but I guess that only works for everyone not named USD.

Silenoz
August 1st, 2018, 10:29 AM
Thanks, I think? xeyebrowx

It all comes down to whether we're able to get good, consistent QB play. If we don't, the preseason predictions are probably about right, but if we find a good QB, I think we can be a playoff team. Not a contender to win it all, but a playoff team.
You didn't have a QB last year and still had to find ways to lose to a number of the best teams in the nation.

And you're right, no-one is a contender to win it all aside from NDSU.

fmftballmgr
August 1st, 2018, 10:29 AM
It may be bigger than it appears. If the plan is to move to the MVC and drop football it may not be worth it to attempt rebuilding the program. Personally, I hope your AD cleans house and brings in a new coach with an entirely new staff. Use Austin Peay as a role model, don't get another dude in his 40s from a mediocre program, go get someone young and exciting from a proven system who can recruit. Coach Stewart has had three seasons and shown zero improvement and should be shown the door regardless of what happens this season. The guy has beating UT-Martin last year on his list of career achievements on Murray State's website for crying out loud. If that's his idea of "accomplishment" show the man the door.
Coach Stewart is a great guy and this was his first head coaching (and only his second coaching job overall) job but was giving no tools to succeed by the AD He did not give Coach Hatcher the tools to succeed and you now see what he is doing at Samford. There has been a group of football Alumni for a Alumni Association to help out the football team in funding and hopefully getting us back to the level of most OVC schools. there was a whole lot more going on behind the scenes that should not have happened

The move to the MVC only benefits mens basketball. All the other sports just increase travel budgets

BadlandsGrizFan
August 1st, 2018, 10:33 AM
BIG SKY:

Montana
Weber State
UC Davis

Bobby comes back and wins the conference leaving everyone else thinking god damnit are you kidding me, and Griz hate returns to the BigSky with Bobby Ball 2.0

EWU misses the playoff for a second year in a row with an All American QB leaving the fanbase questioning if the new coach is really the right guy for the job.....theyve got 2 games that dont help them, unless they pull off a win against Wash State.

Idaho has a schedule that is going to screw them over....losing 2 to FBS, one D-2 game also doesnt help. Then despite what Idaho fans claim to be cocking off about, talking about all this FBS talent, they will lose at least 2 games in the BigSky. Remember a below average Montana State team gave them all they could handle last year. Im thinking Idaho losses 2 out of their four games against Montana, EWU, Montana State and UC Davis.

TheKingpin28
August 1st, 2018, 10:59 AM
Where are you getting those numbers? They were not #2 in the Valley nor top 10 nationally.

Lewis maybe had 400 yards last year, compared to 1k for the other two. They also lost Mangerelli who had a decent season.

I'm not saying the new players cannot step up for them, but I guess that only works for everyone not named USD.I'd take SDSUs defense over anyone besides NDSU this year. UNI always has a solid one, with inconsistency thrown in there, but overall, SDSU is the only team who can truly slow down the power run for NDSU. For the gauntlet that is The Valley, you put that defense up against any team that was not in the National Title game, and I'd take that in heartbeat. Also, helps they return their core on D. Lewis was behind Wieneke and Goedert, yet still showed up when they needed him to. TC got him the ball and valuable snaps so he knows what to expect.

Oh and woe is me for reloading for anyone not named USeD. Your team WAS Streveler. Stop assuming that we have to believe it before we see it when 90% is gone. Notice how the offense, I mean Streveler almost always kept you in the game? Your defense was mediocre. Look, if you want to play the game that we reload, not rebuild, then have some consistency. I have stated numerous times how much I respect Coach Nielsen for what he can do with what he has been given. He is finally given the financial resources Duluth and Macomb could not give him. He had 1 good year so far recovering from what Glenn tried to do. Show me that losing Streveler was only a speed bump and not a road closed and I will eat crow. However, I am willing to say losing him is more than a road closed, losing him is more like we have no detour and we still need to get back to the dance.

The reason why UNI, SDSU, JMU, SHSU, JSU, EWU, etc... always get respect, is that they consistently reload and stay in the discussion year in and year out for a title, tell me the last time that was said about that for USeD? Oh that's right, those were the D2 days after some of the competition already left for the FCS.

JSUSoutherner
August 1st, 2018, 11:11 AM
The reason why UNI, SDSU, JMU, SHSU, JSU, EWU, etc... always get respect, is that they consistently reload and stay in the discussion year in and year out for a title, tell me the last time that was said about that for USeD? Oh that's right, those were the D2 days after some of the competition already left for the FCS.

lolwut?

CappinHard
August 1st, 2018, 11:17 AM

I'm not saying the new players cannot step up for them, but I guess that only works for everyone not named USD.

You're not seriously trying to convince people that losing players from any other position is the same as losing a QB who was 70% of your offensive output. Guess who touches the ball every single offensive play. Next year, after SDSU loses Christion, we will be in the same spot USD is in now. But this year, that's not the case. The chance of WRs and RBs stepping in and replacing the production we lost is much greater than the chance that Simmons steps in and replaces the production that USD lost. Not saying it can't or won't happen. Just saying it's much less likely to happen in USD's case.

TheKingpin28
August 1st, 2018, 11:17 AM
lolwut?Whether we like it or not, you all get respect due to seeding for reloading, even if it is no deserved. I'd take your team any day over USeD when they don't have Streveler running the offense.

I used you as an example to prove a point. You consistently make the playoffs (even if the conference sucks) and get a high seed to go along with it.

JSUSoutherner
August 1st, 2018, 11:20 AM
Whether we like it or not, you all get respect due to seeding for reloading, even if it is no deserved. I'd take your team any day over USeD when they don't have Streveler running the offense.

I used you as an example to prove a point. You consistently make the playoffs (even if the conference sucks) and get a high seed to go along with it.

Does this mean I get to start the "Official 2018 Jacksonville State, Who's Laughing Now? Thread"?

TheKingpin28
August 1st, 2018, 11:23 AM
Does this mean I get to start the "Official 2018 Jacksonville State Who's Laughing Now? Thread"?I mean every team has a Chattown so go ahead. We got Lakes to cover that one for us even if he is no longer here. xthumbsupx

There is a reason why I had you at 15 for the preseason (or right around there. I'd have to check). This is the first time in a couple of years that I do not think you will get seeded. Just let me know when your offense shows up and I can adjust accordingly. xlolx

TheKingpin28
August 1st, 2018, 11:25 AM
Does this mean I get to start the "Official 2018 Jacksonville State, Who's Laughing Now? Thread"?Just checked and it was 15.

JSUSoutherner
August 1st, 2018, 11:29 AM
I mean every team has a Chattown so go ahead. We got Lakes to cover that one for us even if he is no longer here. xthumbsupx

There is a reason why I had you at 15 for the preseason (or right around there. I'd have to check). This is the first time in a couple of years that I do not think you will get seeded. Just let me know when your offense shows up and I can adjust accordingly. xlolx

Mark your calendar for August 25th.

TheKingpin28
August 1st, 2018, 11:32 AM
Mark your calendar for August 25th.I want to see a beatdown. I want to be proven wrong. You got 3 decent/ solid games this year. I have NCAT at 21, where they should be at regardless of what others say, but I will be glued to the tv for that game.

JSUSoutherner
August 1st, 2018, 11:32 AM
Just checked and it was 15.

See my signature.

TheKingpin28
August 1st, 2018, 11:33 AM
See my signature.On tapatalk. Will look when I get home.

JSUSoutherner
August 1st, 2018, 11:36 AM
I want to see a beatdown. I want to be proven wrong. You got 3 decent/ solid games this year. I have NCAT at 21, where they should be at regardless of what others say, but I will be glued to the tv for that game.

Should be interesting. Lots of hype around Zerrick Cooper. Based on what we've been seeing in camp the offense will look a bit different this year. More under center stuff and given our personnel at tight end I wouldn't be surprised to see us in the I quite a bit this season. We also have a fullback now. So that's a thing.

IBleedYellow
August 1st, 2018, 12:23 PM
BIG SKY:

Montana
Weber State
UC Davis

Bobby comes back and wins the conference leaving everyone else thinking god damnit are you kidding me, and Griz hate returns to the BigSky with Bobby Ball 2.0

EWU misses the playoff for a second year in a row with an All American QB leaving the fanbase questioning if the new coach is really the right guy for the job.....theyve got 2 games that dont help them, unless they pull off a win against Wash State.

Idaho has a schedule that is going to screw them over....losing 2 to FBS, one D-2 game also doesnt help. Then despite what Idaho fans claim to be cocking off about, talking about all this FBS talent, they will lose at least 2 games in the BigSky. Remember a below average Montana State team gave them all they could handle last year. Im thinking Idaho losses 2 out of their four games against Montana, EWU, Montana State and UC Davis.

Griz hate never left dude. It just was in the form of mockery instead of anger because of how inept your University has been for the past 10 years or so.

jmufan999
August 1st, 2018, 12:45 PM
JMU
UNH
pick 2 (DEL, NOVA, ELON, SB, RICH)

i was going to include Nova as being in, and pick one from UD, Elon, SB, and Richmond.

Yotes21
August 1st, 2018, 01:20 PM
You're not seriously trying to convince people that losing players from any other position is the same as losing a QB who was 70% of your offensive output. Guess who touches the ball every single offensive play. Next year, after SDSU loses Christion, we will be in the same spot USD is in now. But this year, that's not the case. The chance of WRs and RBs stepping in and replacing the production we lost is much greater than the chance that Simmons steps in and replaces the production that USD lost. Not saying it can't or won't happen. Just saying it's much less likely to happen in USD's case.

No I am not expecting anyone to fill the shoes of the best offensive season in MVFC history. I am hoping the returning lineman are able to help with a more balanced running attack. Yotes finally have some depth and experience coming back at a lot of positions, mainly the lines. Will that equate to wins? Who knows, but I feel more confident in competing. The schedule is going to be tough as hell....comes down to winning the close games.

The Cats
August 1st, 2018, 01:29 PM
Furman
Mercer
Samford
Wofford (maybe)

Samford
Furman
Western Carolina

WestCoastAggie
August 1st, 2018, 01:49 PM
Mark your calendar for August 25th.

Shootout?

TheKingpin28
August 1st, 2018, 01:52 PM
Should be interesting. Lots of hype around Zerrick Cooper. Based on what we've been seeing in camp the offense will look a bit different this year. More under center stuff and given our personnel at tight end I wouldn't be surprised to see us in the I quite a bit this season. We also have a fullback now. So that's a thing.You're telling me you are planning on running a pro-set offense? GTFOH with that ****! I'm excited to see this. But seriously though, you got a FB now? What the hell is this? xlolx

Silenoz
August 1st, 2018, 01:59 PM
Griz hate never left dude. It just was in the form of mockery instead of anger because of how inept your University has been for the past 10 years or so.

We'll let the EWU and MSU (and Idaho, and Weber, okay the entire Big Sky) fans speak to that thank you very much.

Just worry about your unrequited obsession with the UNDies xsmiley_wix

https://www.boatus.com/Assets/www.boatus.com/magazines/boatus/2015/october/img/trolling.jpg

TheKingpin28
August 1st, 2018, 02:45 PM
See my signature.

Just got home and well, there is a reason why we look forward to him when he posts what he posts, so we can all get a solid lulz out of it. However, I think last season broke him with how piss poor Chatty was.

IBleedYellow
August 1st, 2018, 02:48 PM
We'll let the EWU and MSU (and Idaho, and Weber, okay the entire Big Sky) fans speak to that thank you very much.

You know I'm right.

ST_Lawson
August 1st, 2018, 02:49 PM
No I am not expecting anyone to fill the shoes of the best offensive season in MVFC history. I am hoping the returning lineman are able to help with a more balanced running attack. Yotes finally have some depth and experience coming back at a lot of positions, mainly the lines. Will that equate to wins? Who knows, but I feel more confident in competing. The schedule is going to be tough as hell....comes down to winning the close games.

I'm not ready to write off USD for making the playoffs quite yet, personally. I've seen Nielson's ability to recruit and honestly I think they have a better chance than YSU does at making the playoffs. Haven't been all that impressed with the guys that Pelini has been bringing in.

Silenoz
August 1st, 2018, 02:52 PM
You know I'm right.
Considering every post I make teases my own university and its many failings?

The question is, whenever you guys take your inevitable fall, and every vulture across the lands comes out for blood, will you have a sense of humor about it?

IBleedYellow
August 1st, 2018, 03:06 PM
Considering every post I make teases my own university and its many failings?

The question is, whenever you guys take your inevitable fall, and every vulture across the lands comes out for blood, will you have a sense of humor about it?

As long as it's us just coming back to the ground(or others coming up to us...we aren't that far up) and not because of a **** ton of scandals, I'm okay with it.

Silenoz
August 1st, 2018, 03:10 PM
[...]or others coming up to us...we aren't that far up)
https://media1.tenor.com/images/c2435bab8941eacaf15888faeee1ce37/tenor.gif?itemid=3463863

If I was to put money on NDSU winning the championship by 20+, how many people would take me up on it?

JSUSoutherner
August 1st, 2018, 03:18 PM
Shootout?

I don't know about you guys but our defense is pretty lit. Even by epic OVC standards.

You're telling me you are planning on running a pro-set offense? GTFOH with that ****! I'm excited to see this. But seriously though, you got a FB now? What the hell is this? xlolx

We had a full back last year but we only really used the I and our Heavy wildcat set for short yardage first downs and goal line situations. I'm hoping we use it more this season and get a play-action game going. We're also pretty deep at runningback this year from what I've been told. Grass descibed it as being "like have DeMarcus James and Troymaine Pope back again"

FUBeAR
August 1st, 2018, 03:19 PM
Samford
Furman
Western Carolina

Quoting U
ForNo Particular
Reason Also

WestCoastAggie
August 1st, 2018, 03:40 PM
I don't know about you guys but our defense is pretty lit. Even by epic OVC standards.

We a'aight. They're gonna want to stop the run first and foremost. I think they had some success doing that last season.

Milktruck74
August 1st, 2018, 03:51 PM
SoCon:

Take your random pick of 3 teams not named VMI.....

and the 4th team that is sitting at home will be better than 5 or 6 teams in the brackets.

Go...gate
August 1st, 2018, 03:52 PM

I agree with you. Not the Engineers or Red Raiders (though I wish Colgate would grab the title).

TheKingpin28
August 1st, 2018, 04:07 PM

We had a full back last year but we only really used the I and our Heavy wildcat set for short yardage first downs and goal line situations. I'm hoping we use it more this season and get a play-action game going. We're also pretty deep at runningback this year from what I've been told. Grass descibed it as being "like have DeMarcus James and Troymaine Pope back again"

Delta Formation/Veer anyone? Not much can beat smashmouth, up the gut, football.

FUBeAR
August 1st, 2018, 04:23 PM
SoCon:Take your random pick of 3 teams not named VMI.....and the 4th team that is sitting at home will be better than 5 or 6 teams in the brackets.SPOT ON...now let’s make sure and win those OOC games as we did in 2016...so that 4th Team is NOT at home & we’re talking about that 5th SoCon Team that MAY be sitting home and how they are better those same 4 or 5 (Non-SoCon Teams) in the brackets

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 1st, 2018, 06:31 PM
NDSU
UNI
SDSU
YSU

JSUSoutherner
August 1st, 2018, 10:25 PM
We a'aight. They're gonna want to stop the run first and foremost. I think they had some success doing that last season.
Yeah....

Good luck with that.

JacksFan40
August 1st, 2018, 11:31 PM
Misery State
Indiana State
Than who the hell cares. xnodx

cx500d
August 2nd, 2018, 12:23 AM
Misery State
Indiana State
Than who the hell cares. xnodx
I didn’t know South Dakota became a right to toke state

WestCoastAggie
August 2nd, 2018, 03:57 AM
Yeah....

Good luck with that.

We’re sure gonna need it. Y’all got some big guys for o-linemen.

CID1990
August 2nd, 2018, 07:28 AM

Samford

Wofford

Firman

Gangtackle11
August 2nd, 2018, 07:49 AM
i was going to include Nova as being in, and pick one from UD, Elon, SB, and Richmond.

Nova could be back or they could implode. I have no confidence in projecting them as a FCS playoff team at this date.

I do think Delaware is the most overrated CAA team this pre-season. Wouldn’t surprise me if Rhody scares the heck out of them week 1 in New-ark.

BEAR
August 2nd, 2018, 08:53 AM
SLC

I'm stuck on who may actually go this year.

SHSU looks strong on many fronts BUT might not have the QB to lead them.
SFA looks strong with all the FBS transfers but are in a tough coaching transition.
UCA looks to have recruited BETTER this year but lost a QB and return so few. Who knows.
Nicholls looks like the autobid but tends to fall short too often during the regular season.
McNeese looks experienced at QB but have fallen short in big games.
SLU...maybe.

SLC is wide open this year. I mean if UCA gets 5 votes and is picked third after losing all they lost...that's either a sign the conference is tough OR WAY down...

katss07
August 2nd, 2018, 09:03 AM
The Southland is better this year. Sam returns most starters. SFA seems improved, SELA is no joke. McNeese, Nicholls and UCA should all be competitive. Hopefully a 3 bid league again.

hoidOfYolen
August 2nd, 2018, 09:20 AM
Nova could be back or they could implode. I have no confidence in projecting them as a FCS playoff team at this date.

I do think Delaware is the most overrated CAA team this pre-season. Wouldn’t surprise me if Rhody scares the heck out of them week 1 in New-ark.

I'm right there with you on this. Delaware certainly has a great defense but I just don't see the justification for the amount of hype. Rhody should at least put up a good fight.

Seawolf97
August 2nd, 2018, 10:34 AM
James Madison
UNH
Stonybrook
Villanova
My dark horse would be Elon

BEAR
August 2nd, 2018, 11:01 AM
The Southland is better this year. Sam returns most starters. SFA seems improved, SELA is no joke. McNeese, Nicholls and UCA should all be competitive. Hopefully a 3 bid league again.

I had to go back to see how UCA has done the past few years toward the playoffs.

AGS PRESEASON POLLS & END OF SEASON POLLS

2014- NR and NR (6-6) No playoffs
2015- NR and 33 (7-4) No playoffs
2016- NR and 16 (10-3) 2nd round playoffs
2017- 13 and 9 (10-2) 1st round playoffs xbangx
2018- 16 and ?

Looks like things are getting better!

VandalBasher
August 2nd, 2018, 11:07 AM
As for the Big Sky, this year might be too much to ask for the Vandals to make the playoffs.

Too many adjustments to a new conference, recruiting and developing to think this is the year. Idaho will be the BSC's EWU at 7-4.

hoidOfYolen
August 2nd, 2018, 02:51 PM
James Madison
UNH
Stonybrook
Villanova
My dark horse would be Elon

Given what Elon's bringing back and what they proved last year, I'd expect Elon to be in and Nova to be the dark horse, but I'm biased xlolx

BadlandsGrizFan
August 2nd, 2018, 03:11 PM
As long as it's us just coming back to the ground(or others coming up to us...we aren't that far up) and not because of a **** ton of scandals, I'm okay with it.

Its always scandals bro...its always scandals.

Gangtackle11
August 2nd, 2018, 04:07 PM
Given what Elon's bringing back and what they proved last year, I'd expect Elon to be in and Nova to be the dark horse, but I'm biased xlolx

I think Elon is building & not a one hit wonder. They have solid coaching & that QB could be as good as any in the CAA. They are a solid team that should return to the playoffs. xpeacex

Nova is a playoff team if anyone here thinks Delaware is. I’m sorry, but Nova has whooped their butts too much lately for me to think they are better.

Especially since we are returning several starters injured mid-season last year.

VandalBasher
August 2nd, 2018, 05:26 PM
Austin Peay Governors Schedule - 2017

2017 AUSTIN PEAY GOVERNORS SCHEDULE

DATE
OPPONENT
RESULT/TIME
RECORD/TICKETS

Thu, Aug 31

@
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/2132.png&h=80&w=80 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2132/cincinnati-bearcats)
Cincinnati (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2132/cincinnati-bearcats)

L
26-14 (http://www.espn.com/ncf/recap/_/id/400941787)

0-1 (0-0)

Sat, Sept 9

@
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/193.png&h=80&w=80 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/193/miami-(oh)-redhawks)
Miami (OH) (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/193/miami-(oh)-redhawks)

L
31-10 (http://www.espn.com/ncf/recap/_/id/400944894)

0-2 (0-0)

Sat, Sept 16

vs
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/2413.png&h=80&w=80 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2413/morehead-state-eagles)
Morehead State (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2413/morehead-state-eagles)

W
69-13 (http://www.espn.com/ncf/recap/_/id/400951254)

1-2 (0-0)

Sat, Sept 23

@
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/93.png&h=80&w=80 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/93/murray-state-racers)
Murray State (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/93/murray-state-racers)

W
27-7 (http://www.espn.com/ncf/recap/_/id/400951255)

2-2 (1-0)

Sat, Sept 30

vs
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/2630.png&h=80&w=80 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2630/ut-martin-skyhawks)
UT Martin (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2630/ut-martin-skyhawks)

W
7-0 (http://www.espn.com/ncf/recap/_/id/400951256)

3-2 (2-0)

Sat, Oct 7

vs
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/55.png&h=80&w=80 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/55/jacksonville-state-gamecocks)
Jacksonville St (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/55/jacksonville-state-gamecocks)

L
34-14 (http://www.espn.com/ncf/recap/_/id/400951257)

3-3 (2-1)

Sat, Oct 14

@
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/2634.png&h=80&w=80 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2634/tennessee-state-tigers)
Tennessee St (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2634/tennessee-state-tigers)

W
21-17 (http://www.espn.com/ncf/recap/_/id/400951258)

4-3 (3-1)

Sat, Oct 21

vs
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/2546.png&h=80&w=80 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2546/southeast-missouri-state-redhawks)
SE Missouri St (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2546/southeast-missouri-state-redhawks)

W
38-31 (http://www.espn.com/ncf/recap/_/id/400951259)

5-3 (4-1)

Sat, Oct 28

@
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/2116.png&h=80&w=80 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2116/ucf-knights)
#18 UCF (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2116/ucf-knights)

L
73-33 (http://www.espn.com/ncf/recap/_/id/400986609)

5-4 (4-1)

Sat, Nov 4

@
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/2635.png&h=80&w=80 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2635/tennessee-tech-golden-eagles)
Tenn Tech (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2635/tennessee-tech-golden-eagles)

W
35-28 (http://www.espn.com/ncf/recap/_/id/400951260)

6-4 (5-1)

Sat, Nov 11

@
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/2198.png&h=80&w=80 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2198/eastern-kentucky-colonels)
E Kentucky (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2198/eastern-kentucky-colonels)

W
31-24 (http://www.espn.com/ncf/recap/_/id/400951261)

7-4 (6-1)

Sat, Nov 18

vs
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/2197.png&h=80&w=80 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2197/eastern-illinois-panthers)
E Illinois (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2197/eastern-illinois-panthers)

W
28-13 (http://www.espn.com/ncf/recap/_/id/400951262)

8-4 (7-1)

And, I thought McNeese had a pretty good argument for making the playoffs in 2017. McN St. and Austin-Peay are fascinating examples.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 2nd, 2018, 06:20 PM

DATE
OPPONENT
RESULT/TIME
RECORD/TICKETS

Thu, Aug 31

@
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/2132.png&h=80&w=80 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2132/cincinnati-bearcats)
Cincinnati (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2132/cincinnati-bearcats)

L

0-1 (0-0)

Sat, Sept 9

@
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/193.png&h=80&w=80 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/193/miami-(oh)-redhawks)
Miami (OH) (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/193/miami-(oh)-redhawks)

L

0-2 (0-0)

Sat, Sept 16

vs
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/2413.png&h=80&w=80 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2413/morehead-state-eagles)
Morehead State (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2413/morehead-state-eagles)

W

1-2 (0-0)

Sat, Sept 23

@
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/93.png&h=80&w=80 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/93/murray-state-racers)
Murray State (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/93/murray-state-racers)

W

2-2 (1-0)

Sat, Sept 30

vs
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/2630.png&h=80&w=80 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2630/ut-martin-skyhawks)
UT Martin (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2630/ut-martin-skyhawks)

W

3-2 (2-0)

Sat, Oct 7

vs
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/55.png&h=80&w=80 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/55/jacksonville-state-gamecocks)
Jacksonville St (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/55/jacksonville-state-gamecocks)

L

3-3 (2-1)

Sat, Oct 14

@
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/2634.png&h=80&w=80 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2634/tennessee-state-tigers)
Tennessee St (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2634/tennessee-state-tigers)

W

4-3 (3-1)

Sat, Oct 21

vs
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/2546.png&h=80&w=80 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2546/southeast-missouri-state-redhawks)
SE Missouri St (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2546/southeast-missouri-state-redhawks)

W

5-3 (4-1)

Sat, Oct 28

@
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/2116.png&h=80&w=80 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2116/ucf-knights)

L

5-4 (4-1)

Sat, Nov 4

@
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/2635.png&h=80&w=80 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2635/tennessee-tech-golden-eagles)
Tenn Tech (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2635/tennessee-tech-golden-eagles)

W

6-4 (5-1)

Sat, Nov 11

@
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/2198.png&h=80&w=80 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2198/eastern-kentucky-colonels)
E Kentucky (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2198/eastern-kentucky-colonels)

W

7-4 (6-1)

Sat, Nov 18

vs
http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/2197.png&h=80&w=80 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2197/eastern-illinois-panthers)
E Illinois (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2197/eastern-illinois-panthers)

W

8-4 (7-1)

And, I thought McNeese had a pretty good argument for making the playoffs in 2017. McN St. and Austin-Peay are fascinating examples.

Playing 3 FBS games indicates to me the athletic department's goal was to raise money, not make the playoffs.

VandalBasher
August 2nd, 2018, 06:30 PM
I am not on the selection committee to determine eligibility. But, a tough schedule shouldn't determine the quality of the team. W's and L's should be analyzed for what they are worth.

Thumper 76
August 2nd, 2018, 07:02 PM
Playing 3 FBS games indicates to me the athletic department's goal was to raise money, not make the playoffs.
Nvm I’m dumb xlolx

katss07
August 2nd, 2018, 09:42 PM
I am not on the selection committee to determine eligibility. But, a tough schedule shouldn't determine the quality of the team. W's and L's should be analyzed for what they are worth.
As a Sam Houston fan, I understand a part of the struggle APSU went through. They play in a weaker conference that has been dominated by Jacksonville State since Jimmy G left EIU years ago. Since then, JSU has won thirty something straight conference games. And while that looks good on the resume of Jacksonville State, it makes the Ohio Valley look weak and non competitive. Therefore, its unlikely for an otherwise undefeated OVC team that lost to only the Gamecocks get in because the perceived weaknesses the OVC has.

Stregth of Schedule is the name of the game in the FCS Selection Process. If you’re playing in a perceived weak conference, a better team from the MVFC, CAA, Big Sky and SoCon gets priority. And I would say the committee gets this right most of the time. They were in one score games with some really poor teams. Like McNeese, the surface of the resume looks good. But do some digging and you’ll find the fatal flaws. It wasn’t smart to get three FBS teams on the schedule. Thats just one of many issues. I think if the Govs would have gotten in, they would have been blown out in round 1 by UNI or Nicholls.

youcanbankit
August 3rd, 2018, 12:09 AM
I like Wofford, Furman, Samford for the SoCon.

PaladinFan
August 3rd, 2018, 04:52 AM
I like Wofford, Furman, Samford for the SoCon.

I’m firmly in wait and see mode with Wofford. They won the conference last year, but had a bunch of games they won by the skin of their teeth, lost a lot of players, lost most of their coaching staff, and have a potentially talented but very unproven group leading the way in 2018.

I like Furman and Samford, but it wouldn’t surprise me to see Mercer or WCU sneak in there over Wofford.

POD Knows
August 3rd, 2018, 07:46 AM
https://media1.tenor.com/images/c2435bab8941eacaf15888faeee1ce37/tenor.gif?itemid=3463863

If I was to put money on NDSU winning the championship by 20+, how many people would take me up on it?I would, you give me 20 points and I will take the field.

Redbird 4th & short
August 4th, 2018, 06:36 AM

DATE
OPPONENT
RESULT/TIME
RECORD/TICKETS

Thu, Aug 31

@

L

0-1 (0-0)

Sat, Sept 9

@

L

0-2 (0-0)

Sat, Sept 16

vs

W

1-2 (0-0)

Sat, Sept 23

@

W

2-2 (1-0)

Sat, Sept 30

vs

W

3-2 (2-0)

Sat, Oct 7

vs

L

3-3 (2-1)

Sat, Oct 14

@

W

4-3 (3-1)

Sat, Oct 21

vs

W

5-3 (4-1)

Sat, Oct 28

@

L

5-4 (4-1)

Sat, Nov 4

@

W

6-4 (5-1)

Sat, Nov 11

@

W

7-4 (6-1)

Sat, Nov 18

vs

W

8-4 (7-1)

But can you point to a single win of theirs that says they were a playoff team ? According to Massey, here are their best wins in order from best to worst, ranking each team across ALL D-I colleges:

#222 TN Martin (6-5) by 7 at home .. weak win
#246 EIU (6-5) by 15 at home .. decent win
#261 TSU (6-5) by 4 on road .. weak win
#272 EKU (4-7) by 7 on road .. weak win
#286 SEMO (3-8) by 7 at home .. very weak win
#312 Murr St (3-8) by 20 on road .. decent win
#342 Tenn Tech (1-10) by 7 on road .. very weak win

Love the story and think the will take another step forward this year .. but this is not a playoff resume .. not even a playoff bubble team.

You have to beat average and weak teams more convincingly, or beat a good team once in a while ... that is the reality.

Rabbit74
August 4th, 2018, 10:38 AM
The Massey Composite at present has 4 MVFC teams in the top 8, 6 in the top 15 and 7 in the top 21. Six deserving teams from the MVFC is quite possible, 5 actually getting in is probably the max considering auto qualifiers and the improbably of 6 teams having at least .500 records in conference. etc.

Appaholic
August 4th, 2018, 10:43 AM
Socon

Samford
Furman
WCU

VandalBasher
August 4th, 2018, 10:46 AM
The Massey Composite at present has 4 MVFC teams in the top 8, 6 in the top 15 and 7 in the top 21. Six deserving teams from the MVFC is quite possible, 5 actually getting in is probably the max considering auto qualifiers and the improbably of 6 teams having at least .500 records in conference. etc.

http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

Sagarin's conference ratings have the MVFC in some really good company at the conclusion of 2017.

14 MAC-WEST (A) = 61.89 60.60 ( 14) 6 61.66 ( 14)
15 MISSOURI VALLEY (AA)= 60.72 59.35 ( 15) 10 60.46 ( 15)
16 MWC-WEST (A) = 58.99 59.11 ( 16) 6 58.94 ( 16)
17 CONFERENCE USA-EAST (A) = 57.81 57.73 ( 17) 7 57.82 ( 17)
18 MAC-EAST (A) = 57.77 57.43 ( 18) 6 57.63 ( 18)
19 CONFERENCE USA-WEST (A) = 56.00 54.78 ( 20) 7 55.41 ( 19)
20 SUN BELT (A) = 54.80 55.77 ( 19) 12 55.35 ( 20)
21 COLONIAL (AA)= 50.67 51.34 ( 21) 12 50.80 ( 21)
22 BIG SKY (AA)= 49.90 49.35 ( 22) 13 49.56 ( 22)

13 MISSOURI VALLEY (AA)= 62.43 60.50 10 ( 13)
14 MAC-WEST (A) = 61.27 59.48 6 ( 15)
15 MWC-MOUNTAIN (A) = 59.77 60.41 6 ( 14)
16 MAC-EAST (A) = 56.19 56.11 6 ( 16)
17 CONFERENCE USA-EAST (A) = 55.60 55.70 7 ( 18)
18 COLONIAL (AA)= 55.31 56.01 12 ( 17)
19 CONFERENCE USA-WEST (A) = 54.18 52.25 7 ( 21)
20 MWC-WEST (A) = 52.33 54.69 6 ( 19)
21 BIG SKY (AA)= 51.98 50.97 13 ( 22)
22 SUN BELT (A) = 51.28 52.36 12 ( 20)

VandalBasher
August 4th, 2018, 10:48 AM
http://inforum.com/opinion/columns/4481021-mcfeely-how-many-fcs-teams-really-could-win-national-championship#.W2UlFFcheiY.facebook

This article covers really who has had the greatest opportunity to win the NC. I like the approach to the data.

FUBeAR
August 4th, 2018, 10:59 AM
Samford
Furman
Western Carolina
I like Furman and Samford, but it wouldn’t surprise me to see Mercer or WCU sneak in there over Wofford.
Socon

Samford
Furman
WCU

I'm interested in the 'love' for WCU that I'm seeing as far as their prospects for this year. I don't see how we can look at a Team that lost almost all of their Starters on D (10 of their Top 12 'producers' on D also, I believe), their truly outstanding RB/KR whose yardage was, I think, about 1/3 of the Total O, and their Top 2 WR's; and, say, "Yep, that's a Playoff Team, for sure!"...not to mention that I don't think they've made the Playoffs in about 35 years or so. They also have lost 3 of the last 4 games - 2 of those at Home and the average margin in the 3 losses was by about 26 points.

I know they have an extremely dynamic & talented QB, but he is slightly built, likes to run the ball, and missed most of 2 games last year due to in-game injuries suffered. He has also missed at least 1 career start for disciplinary reasons. In addition, I believe he was 'relegated' to playing with the "2's" in WCU's spring game this year (for whatever reason...I don't know) and there was some discussion on the WCU Message Board(s) that the Catamounts might be better served if they started a R-FR at QB this season. So, I don't think it's unreasonable to consider QB as a bit of an uncertain slot on WCU's Team for those reasons. They do have a heavily veteran OL and 2 or 3 of those vets have been awarded some measure of pre-season recognition; and an excellent Punter...so there's that.

But what else? What am I missing? Why is WCU a 'near-lock' for the Playoffs in 2018?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2R2sH2ScBM

Redbird 4th & short
August 4th, 2018, 01:19 PM
2014 was only year MVFC should have had 6 teams. Gap has closed since 2014-16 ... CAA and Big Sky are both deeper. So I doubt we get 5 teams this year ... unless we have some surprises.

PaladinFan
August 4th, 2018, 01:46 PM
I'm interested in the 'love' for WCU that I'm seeing as far as their prospects for this year. I don't see how we can look at a Team that lost almost all of their Starters on D (10 of their Top 12 'producers' on D also, I believe), their truly outstanding RB/KR whose yardage was, I think, about 1/3 of the Total O, and their Top 2 WR's; and, say, "Yep, that's a Playoff Team, for sure!"...not to mention that I don't think they've made the Playoffs in about 35 years or so. They also have lost 3 of the last 4 games - 2 of those at Home and the average margin in the 3 losses was by about 26 points.

I know they have an extremely dynamic & talented QB, but he is slightly built, likes to run the ball, and missed most of 2 games last year due to in-game injuries suffered. He has also missed at least 1 career start for disciplinary reasons. In addition, I believe he was 'relegated' to playing with the "2's" in WCU's spring game this year (for whatever reason...I don't know) and there was some discussion on the WCU Message Board(s) that the Catamounts might be better served if they started a R-FR at QB this season. So, I don't think it's unreasonable to consider QB as a bit of an uncertain slot on WCU's Team for those reasons. They do have a heavily veteran OL and 2 or 3 of those vets have been awarded some measure of pre-season recognition; and an excellent Punter...so there's that.

But what else? What am I missing? Why is WCU a 'near-lock' for the Playoffs in 2018?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2R2sH2ScBM

WCU returns arguably the best all-around offensive player in the league at QB. A good QB can really carry a team at this level.

I also think it is fair to say that WCU will go as far as Tyrie Adams takes them.

Mike296
August 4th, 2018, 09:08 PM
WCU returns arguably the best all-around offensive player in the league at QB. A good QB can really carry a team at this level.

I also think it is fair to say that WCU will go as far as Tyrie Adams takes them.

I have nothing against WCU as a program. However, I don’t know enough about them to rate them with due justice. If what everyone is saying that they could be the 3rd playoff team from the SoCon then they could be top 25 worthy by the end of the year. I’m going to be keeping an eye out for them.

PaladinFan
August 5th, 2018, 06:19 AM
I have nothing against WCU as a program. However, I don’t know enough about them to rate them with due justice. If what everyone is saying that they could be the 3rd playoff team from the SoCon then they could be top 25 worthy by the end of the year. I’m going to be keeping an eye out for them.

I think you’ll see them in the top 25 pretty quickly. Last season they hung out just in/out of the rankings most of the season. In 2018 they’ll start with 3 really winnable games (Newberry, GWU, and VMI), so I think there’s a very high likelihood they’ll be 3-0 before heading to Furman in late September.

They lost some players off last year’s 7 win, but return a very impressive QB in Tyrie Adams. He had over 3,000 yards in total offense last season, and is one of those QBs that can carry his team. The defense isn’t great, so I think they go as far as Adams can carry them.

Looking at the schedule, I can see 7 wins out there.

WestCoastAggie
August 5th, 2018, 07:46 AM
I think you’ll see them in the top 25 pretty quickly. Last season they hung out just in/out of the rankings most of the season. In 2018 they’ll start with 3 really winnable games (Newberry, GWU, and VMI), so I think there’s a very high likelihood they’ll be 3-0 before heading to Furman in late September.

They lost some players off last year’s 7 win, but return a very impressive QB in Tyrie Adams. He had over 3,000 yards in total offense last season, and is one of those QBs that can carry his team. The defense isn’t great, so I think they go as far as Adams can carry them.

Their OOC schedule gives them no help. They have to win at least 6 games in the SoCon to even get a chance to be on the playoff bubble.

That’ll be hard to do this season for the Catamounts.

PaladinFan
August 5th, 2018, 08:02 AM
Their OOC schedule gives them no help. They have to win at least 6 games in the SoCon to even get a chance to be on the playoff bubble.

That’ll be hard to do this season for the Catamounts.

Believe me, SoCon folks are tired of me complaining about how some of our conference teams schedule out of conference.

That said, the SoCon will get at least 3 teams in the playoffs in all likelihood. I think WCU has a better than average chance to be that third team.

WestCoastAggie
August 5th, 2018, 01:40 PM
Believe me, SoCon folks are tired of me complaining about how some of our conference teams schedule out of conference.

That said, the SoCon will get at least 3 teams in the playoffs in all likelihood. I think WCU has a better than average chance to be that third team.

I like Samford, Furman and Wofford to be those three teams to make the playoffs out of the SoCon. Unfortunately for WCU, I don't see them being favored against any of those three teams.

PaladinFan
August 5th, 2018, 02:22 PM
I like Samford, Furman and Wofford to be those three teams to make the playoffs out of the SoCon. Unfortunately for WCU, I don't see them being favored against any of those three teams.

Well, to be fair, WCU beat Samford last season and lost to Wofford in OT. They struggled against Furman in a heavy rain storm where Tyrie Adams went out of the game with injury. The Cats were just a poor matchup against Furman's pounding run game where passing and lateral movement were heavily limited.

As a Furman fan, I never like seeing WCU early in the season.

Redbird 4th & short
August 5th, 2018, 04:55 PM
2014 was only year MVFC should have had 6 teams. Gap has closed since 2014-16 ... CAA and Big Sky are both deeper. So I doubt we get 5 teams this year ... unless we have some surprises.
forgot my list of MVFC predictions .. in order with my % confidence they will make playoffs:

- top 4: NDSU (100%), UNI (80%), SDSU (60%), ISUr (60%) = wtd avg = 3.0 teams
- next 4: USD, WIU (both at 40%), YSU and SIU (both at 30%) = wtd avg = 1.4 teams

So from statistical standpoint I see between 4 and 5 teams making playoff, at 4.4 it is more likely 4 than 5 .. which seems about right. So if MVFC has strong year, we should get 5 again, but thinking given many key graduation losses and re-emergence of CAA and to lesser extent Big Sky ... getting 5 teams will be stretch this year.

p.s. and yes, I do believe we have 8 different teams capable of making playoffs .. top 7 have been in playoff picture in recent years. SIU being the only newbie prospect of recent years .. I'm thinking their offense will be very strong, particularly passing, and their defense was average a year ago .. which is improvement from terrible several years ago.

WestCoastAggie
August 5th, 2018, 07:00 PM
Well, to be fair, WCU beat Samford last season and lost to Wofford in OT. They struggled against Furman in a heavy rain storm where Tyrie Adams went out of the game with injury. The Cats were just a poor matchup against Furman's pounding run game where passing and lateral movement were heavily limited.

As a Furman fan, I never like seeing WCU early in the season.

That brings up another team that could be a surprise in the SoCon; Mercer.

katss07
August 5th, 2018, 10:20 PM
I’d be lying if I told you I knew a bunch about the SoCon. But I do know Mercer was a good team last year. They basically took out WCU from playoff discussions, only lost to Woffy by a point and played a strong Furman team close. If they can win 7 or 8 games and not lose to a team like ETSU, they could be in playoff contention. I know they have a pretty good offense. They are definitely a SoCon dark horse, kinda like a Furman last season. Not sure what they’re going to be.

FUBeAR
August 5th, 2018, 11:19 PM
I really don't think any SoCon Peeps would be at all surprised if Mercer made the Playoffs and, honestly, I don't think those same Peeps would be too surprised if Mercer won the SoCon Championship. Now PaladinFan and maybe some of the bombastic bellhop boyz may come on here and pooh-pooh this statement, but they know what's in their hearts, regardless of what comes out of their fingertips.

Since joining the SoCon in 2014, Mercer is 2-2 vs. Chatt, including beating them when they were ranked #3 in 2015. Mercer is also 2-2 vs. Furman and every game has been TIGHT, including an OT game that Mercer won at Furman. Mercer is also 2-2 with WCU, having won the past 2 and leading the 1 before that the whole way before falling in the final minute on the road. The Bears are 5-2 vs. ETSU & VMI combined. Last year's loss to ETSU was really the 1st time Mercer has ever lost a game in which they were the clear favorites. The VMI loss was in Year 2, while both Teams were still establishing themselves...well, Mercer was building; not sure what we should call what VMI has been doing. So, if any fans of those 5 Teams want to feign shock should Mercer put it all together this year...then they are just purely posing.

The 4 game series with El Cid has been a little different. Mercer is on the wrong side of a 1-3 record with the Bellhops, but other than Game 1 - when Mercer was still VERY young, the games have been tight slugfests, (and that 1st game wasn't a rout - Mercer learned a bit about how to play against the Triple Option in the 1st half and shut out El Cid in the 2nd) much like the Mercer-Furman series, although Mercer, last year, got into a down Bulldogs squad on a SCORCHING October day in Charleston and pretty much controlled the game wire-to-wire. So, while the CIT peeps may also feign surprise, they know they have been VERY fortunate to take 2 of their 3 wins over the Bears by 1 and 2 points.

Which brings me right to Wofford. Wofford put the only clear butt-whipping on Mercer that they have ever had in the SoCon back in 2014. Mercer is yet to win one over the Terriers, but they lost 1 in OT on a missed XP (ARRGGGH!!!) and last year's 1 point loss was truly heart-breaking. I just watched Wofford's edition of the Mercer/Wofford highlights from last season and it still makes me nauseous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZpEIfY_8Qk
Mercer, as they had done in that prior game with WCU that I mentioned, led wire to wire and was ahead by 2 scores with about 6 minutes left. So, while Woffy is feeling high-and-mighty right now (well...they were until they had a lot of 'surprises' in the off-season), they very well know that Mercer is quite capable of knocking them off their lofty perch.

Finally, there's Samford. Mercer has not yet beaten Samford either. Oh, they had a realistic shot to take the last one in B'Ham in 2016, but a pass in the final seconds was about 4" too high. A tad lower and Mercer's TE walks in the end zone and scores the game-winning TD. After scoring on an amazing 99 yard punt return late in the game in 2014, Mercer needed to recover an onside kick to have a chance to win. They didn't and they lost by 5. Both match-ups in Macon have been interesting, but UGLY for Mercer Fans. Mercer led a good bit of the way in 2015 holding Sammy to about 6 48 yard FG's, but Sammy then scored about 24 points in the span of 2 minutes in the 3rd quarter and the game was over. Last year, Mercer's Offense was completely impotent in their matchup and, while the D held Sammy's HIGH-POWERED Offense to just 2 TD's, Mercer was never realistically going to threaten to win that game.

So...Sammy peeps COULD get away with saying they would be surprised, but I don't really think they would be THAT surprised. The rest of the SoCon knows from their tangles with the Bears, that Mercer has as good a shot at making the Playoffs and winning the SoCon Championship as they do.

It should be a(nother) FUN year in the SoCon!

PaladinFan
August 6th, 2018, 04:40 AM
I wouldn’t be surprised if Mercer made the playoffs. I would be surprised if they won the SoCon championhship.

Appaholic
August 6th, 2018, 07:51 AM

The above is my rationale. And I could have easily made Wofford or Mercer the 3rd team as the third team, if SoCon gets three, really is a toss up. I like WCU's chances because they are not traveling to a Bama or other money game which would be an assured loss this season. My thought is they sweep out of conference and cause just enough noise to get in the playoffs. I like their coaching staff and I think the culture is on the upswing with this staff. There's no more Dennis Wagner's hanging around with a link to the dark years...

PaladinFan
August 6th, 2018, 08:28 AM
The above is my rationale. And I could have easily made Wofford or Mercer the 3rd team as the third team, if SoCon gets three, really is a toss up. I like WCU's chances because they are not traveling to a Bama or other money game which would be an assured loss this season. My thought is they sweep out of conference and cause just enough noise to get in the playoffs. I like their coaching staff and I think the culture is on the upswing with this staff. There's no more Dennis Wagner's hanging around with a link to the dark years...

WCU's scheduling is difficult to figure out. Since 2014 (the first post-APP/GSU season), this is the first year WCU has not scheduled two "money games." They are also fond of scheduling lower division/non-scholarship teams (Newberry, Mars Hill, Catawba, Davidson). They also schedule FCS out of conference games against cheap travel "local" teams that have been long been on rotating SoCon schedules (Gardner Webb/Presbyterian). The obvious answer, of course, is generating as much revenue as possible while spending as little as possible.

Furman has beaten WCU a bunch over the years, but two games that stand out in my mind are 2005 and 2014. Both times, WCU played Furman early in the season and beat them. Both times WCU had a really light opening schedule: (1) 2005 Furman had a tough road game against Jacksonville State to open while WCU played Mars Hill at home, (2) In 2014 Furman (who wasn't very good) was coming off three straight road games while WCU had three weeks of Brevard, Catawba, and an off week.

I see a similar set up here. WCU gets Newberry, Bye, @ GWU, VMI while Furman plays @ Clemson, @ Elon, Colgate, and @ ETSU. So, going into that big conference game, Furman will have been in an all out war for four weeks while WCU will be playing teams they should sleep walk past plus an off week.

That concerns me. Similar set ups have bitten Furman in the past. Granted, I think this coaching staff is much better at having the team ready every week than past iterations.

FUBeAR
August 6th, 2018, 08:41 AM
I like WCU's chances because they are not traveling to a Bama or other money game which would be an assured loss this season. My thought is they sweep out of conference...

Western Carolina (http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partner-pub-0379030414683754:9954400133&ie=UTF-8&q=Western%20Carolina%20Catamounts,%20Football,%20C ollege%20Football,%20Cullowhee,%20NC&sa=Search&ref=#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=Western Carolina Catamounts, Football, College Football, Cullowhee, NC&gsc.page=1) Catamounts (https://www.masseyratings.com/mascot.php?m=Catamounts)
Cullowhee, NC (https://www.masseyratings.com/place.php?v=6787)

Date

Opponent
Win Probability

Sat 2018-11-17
at
North Carolina (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=5492&s=300937)
2 % (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=881926009)

...Well...it’s not Bama and it’s not an “assured loss,” but we do have some fairly recent history between these 2 Teams...as they faced off just last season.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400937526

WCU -

7-5

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/2717.png&h=100&w=100

T

WCU

UNC

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/153.png&h=100&w=100 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/153/north-carolina-tar-heels)

UNC (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/153/north-carolina-tar-heels) - 3-8

...you’re expecting WCU to beat UNC in 2018?

VandalBasher
August 6th, 2018, 10:16 AM
Why are you playing UNC so late in the year?

We play Florida on the same date...November 17th.

PaladinFan
August 6th, 2018, 10:40 AM
Why are you playing UNC so late in the year?

We play Florida on the same date...November 17th.

The SoCon teams tend to play a lot of games against ACC/SEC competition. As the "big boys" they pretty much set their schedules and everyone reacts to it. SEC teams, for instance, generally all have a non-conference date in November before "rivalry week."

Lower tier teams basically just adjust to whatever those out of conference dates are and then the SoCon builds their schedule around them. The SEC at least tends to keep that week open because it is an easier opponent before their big rivalry game and post-season/playoff games.

Most of these big conferences play certain opponents at the same time every year, so its pretty easy for them to slot in their FCS/low level FBS games.

Appaholic
August 6th, 2018, 11:14 AM
Western Carolina (http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partner-pub-0379030414683754:9954400133&ie=UTF-8&q=Western%20Carolina%20Catamounts,%20Football,%20C ollege%20Football,%20Cullowhee,%20NC&sa=Search&ref=#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=Western Carolina Catamounts, Football, College Football, Cullowhee, NC&gsc.page=1) Catamounts (https://www.masseyratings.com/mascot.php?m=Catamounts)
Cullowhee, NC (https://www.masseyratings.com/place.php?v=6787)

Date

Opponent
Win Probability

Sat 2018-11-17
at
North Carolina (https://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=5492&s=300937)
2 % (https://www.masseyratings.com/game.php?gid=881926009)

...Well...it’s not Bama and it’s not an “assured loss,” but we do have some fairly recent history between these 2 Teams...as they faced off just last season.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400937526

WCU -

7-5

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/2717.png&h=100&w=100

T

WCU

UNC

http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/teamlogos/ncaa/500/153.png&h=100&w=100 (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/153/north-carolina-tar-heels)

UNC (http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/153/north-carolina-tar-heels) - 3-8

...you’re expecting WCU to beat UNC in 2018?

Wow...completely missed that one. No, I doubt they'll win in Chapel Hill. But, outside of playing a lower tier school from Sunbelt or Conf USA, they couldn't ask for a better P5 school to play...unless it was Kansas. This will be Fedora's last year at UNC...

PaladinFan
August 6th, 2018, 11:33 AM
Wow...completely missed that one. No, I doubt they'll win in Chapel Hill. But, outside of playing a lower tier school from Sunbelt or Conf USA, they couldn't ask for a better P5 school to play...unless it was Kansas. This will be Fedora's last year at UNC...

UNC typically schedules Furman when it needs an excuse to fire their coach.

Appaholic
August 6th, 2018, 11:58 AM
UNC typically schedules Furman when it needs an excuse to fire their coach.

xlolx I've noticed that.....

Catamount87
August 7th, 2018, 09:28 AM
So why Newberry to open 2018? Because another FCS team backed out on us and the best we could do in a short time was get Newberry. It's not ideal and most Catamount fans aren't real keen on playing down a league. (An argument for it would be it's similar in how FCS teams play FBS teams.) Playing these lower division games along with a money game means we have to play exceptionally well in SoCon play to even be considered for the playoffs. No one likes the situation that creates thus why we've been scheduling OOC FCS games to open.

UNC late in the year? Well, that's a money game pure and simple. Being close by means keeping costs down. We don't have a big budget even by FCS standards so we have to play these money games. A few years ago the budget was such that we were forced into playing 2 money games a season for a couple of seasons. Back to WCU at UNC in 2017, well that game started off well but it was clear when calls needed the "benefit of doubt" applied, flags didn't go our way. There were a few "touch" fouls ala basketball that even had UNC was wondering what was being called. But the big thing was, UNC was pumped up and their overall team speed got to be on full display.

Back to scheduling, with one of the smallest athletic budgets in the SoCon, we do what we have to do to keep in the black and out of the red.

Professor
August 7th, 2018, 11:08 AM
So why Newberry to open 2018? Because another FCS team backed out on us and the best we could do in a short time was get Newberry. It's not ideal and most Catamount fans aren't real keen on playing down a league. (An argument for it would be it's similar in how FCS teams play FBS teams.) Playing these lower division games along with a money game means we have to play exceptionally well in SoCon play to even be considered for the playoffs. No one likes the situation that creates thus why we've been scheduling OOC FCS games to open.

UNC late in the year? Well, that's a money game pure and simple. Being close by means keeping costs down. We don't have a big budget even by FCS standards so we have to play these money games. A few years ago the budget was such that we were forced into playing 2 money games a season for a couple of seasons. Back to WCU at UNC in 2017, well that game started off well but it was clear when calls needed the "benefit of doubt" applied, flags didn't go our way. There were a few "touch" fouls ala basketball that even had UNC was wondering what was being called. But the big thing was, UNC was pumped up and their overall team speed got to be on full display.

Back to scheduling, with one of the smallest athletic budgets in the SoCon, we do what we have to do to keep in the black and out of the red.

Would be great to see a Western Carolina vs A&T matchup. We should have an opening because our contract with G Webb ends this year

Catamount87
August 7th, 2018, 02:38 PM
Would be great to see a Western Carolina vs A&T matchup. We should have an opening because our contract with G Webb ends this year

Better yet, it'd be great to see A&T in the SoCon.

tenNesseeCat
August 7th, 2018, 02:53 PM

xthumbsupx