PDA

View Full Version : JMU to Visit Louisville in 2022

Derby City Duke
July 30th, 2018, 09:39 PM
JMU and Louisville have agreed to a game @ Cardinal Stadium in November 2022. The Cardinals will pay JMU $600K for the game. This gives JMU an FBS matchup every year from 2018 - 2022 with the exception of 2021. We are not holding our breath that the existing vacancy will be filled by Virginia or Virginia Tech. I'd like to see us venture into B10 country -- Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland, or Purdue maybe?

RootinFerDukes
July 31st, 2018, 06:03 AM
It’s worth noting that all four VA FBS programs are refusing to schedule JMU right now and supposedly some top FCS programs. No G5 programs will agree to schedule either.

ElCid
July 31st, 2018, 06:47 AM
It’s worth noting that all four VA FBS programs are refusing to schedule JMU right now and supposedly some top FCS programs. No G5 programs will agree to schedule either.

You should get the legislature to intervene. You know, keep guaranteed money in state and all.

RootinFerDukes
July 31st, 2018, 07:14 AM
You should get the legislature to intervene. You know, keep guaranteed money in state and all.

Hahahaha the state government doesn’t attempt to hide their favoritism for their two biggest fish in the pond. They instituted student fee caps and a board that has to approve FBS move ups (after ODU moved up and LU is private). I would venture to say it was about preserving the distance between UVA, VT and everyone else first, a thinly veiled attempt at acting like they care about college student welfare second.

dewey
July 31st, 2018, 07:58 AM

Great news for the Dukes to get a good matchup and a heck of a nice payday with Louisville. It is not surprising the Virginia schools don't want to play you guys or any of the G5 schools as the Dukes would beat them.

I bet you guys start having a hard time scheduling FBS teams as well. Something about a FCS team going into a FBS house and beating them that makes other FBS teams a little wary.

Dewey

ElCid
July 31st, 2018, 08:58 AM
Hahahaha the state government doesn’t attempt to hide their favoritism for their two biggest fish in the pond. They instituted student fee caps and a board that has to approve FBS move ups (after ODU moved up and LU is private). I would venture to say it was about preserving the distance between UVA, VT and everyone else first, a thinly veiled attempt at acting like they care about college student welfare second.

Get more JMU grads in state government.

RootinFerDukes
July 31st, 2018, 09:32 AM
Get more JMU grads in state government.

Ironically the student fees bill was sponsored by a JMU grad in the legislature. He even said in a newspaper interview something like, "I went to a JMU game about five years ago", as if that somehow made a difference.

BTW, I'm not advocating for increased tuition and fees costs to students, certainty not. I'm all in favor of making college more affordable. I am just also not naive enough to know that it is about "helping the big boys" first, "looking like you care about citizen's well being" second. If it would've hurt UVA or VT in any way, it would've never seen the light of day, is my point.

GreenGlasses
July 31st, 2018, 10:39 AM

xblahxxblahxxblahx We're to good right now, no one will schedule us. If I had a dollar for every time Ive heard or seen that posted, Id never have to work another day in my life. And well if you would do just a lil thing called a search you would see that UVA doesn't have an opening until 2025 and VA Tech doesn't have an opening until 2031. Their schedules are full. And those are the 2 schools you really want to schedule.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/acc/virginia-cavaliers.php
http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/acc/virginia-tech-hokies.php

JacksFan40
July 31st, 2018, 10:58 AM
Great news for the Dukes to get a good matchup and a heck of a nice payday with Louisville. It is not surprising the Virginia schools don't want to play you guys or any of the G5 schools as the Dukes would beat them.

I bet you guys start having a hard time scheduling FBS teams as well. Something about a FCS team going into a FBS house and beating them that makes other FBS teams a little wary.

Dewey
Like NDSU would know what it’s like to beat an FBS.

centennial
July 31st, 2018, 11:06 AM
Ironically the student fees bill was sponsored by a JMU grad in the legislature. He even said in a newspaper interview something like, "I went to a JMU game about five years ago", as if that somehow made a difference.

BTW, I'm not advocating for increased tuition and fees costs to students, certainty not. I'm all in favor of making college more affordable. I am just also not naive enough to know that it is about "helping the big boys" first, "looking like you care about citizen's well being" second. If it would've hurt UVA or VT in any way, it would've never seen the light of day, is my point.

Those schools are funding the athletic programs without increasing student debt much(if any). JMU can do the same. Just because ODU got an exception for a few years doesn't mean it's right. Increase private funding and move up. IMO they should've come up with some kind of limits for the FCS too. Last time I looked JMU was one of the most student subsidized school in the FCS.

dewey
July 31st, 2018, 11:12 AM
Like NDSU would know what it’s like to beat an FBS.You are going to get somebody...but not me.

Deweyhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180731/9037769be5e4f4784cda78ce4dadf716.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

RootinFerDukes
July 31st, 2018, 12:07 PM
xblahxxblahxxblahx We're to good right now, no one will schedule us. If I had a dollar for every time Ive heard or seen that posted, Id never have to work another day in my life. And well if you would do just a lil thing called a search you would see that UVA doesn't have an opening until 2025 and VA Tech doesn't have an opening until 2031. Their schedules are full. And those are the 2 schools you really want to schedule.

We’ve been actively calling them for decades but they never happen to bite. In 2010, we almost had a 2017 game with tech lined up and they backed out after the loss. Their schedules weren’t filled up until 2030 as far back as 2010. They chose to fill them up.

Hell, ODU currently has a 2021 opening and so do we. Our Assoc AD said he contacted them. If it doesn’t happen, they didn’t let it happen or were severely low balling the payout.

I guess you’re calling our head coach and associate AD liars then. Both have publicly said as much.

RootinFerDukes
July 31st, 2018, 12:11 PM
Those schools are funding the athletic programs without increasing student debt much(if any). JMU can do the same. Just because ODU got an exception for a few years doesn't mean it's right. Increase private funding and move up. IMO they should've come up with some kind of limits for the FCS too. Last time I looked JMU was one of the most student subsidized school in the FCS.

They instituted fee % limits for all public universities all the way down to D3. JMU is in full compliance according to our AD. They exempted pre-existing debt services, such as our stadium expansion.

clenz
July 31st, 2018, 12:14 PM

Nearly 40 million dollars a year from student fees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMUNJ08
July 31st, 2018, 12:33 PM

Those '19 and '20 UVA schedules are atrocious and 3 VA schools. they havent played us since the 80's? But UR & W&M always get further deals (UVA has lost to both recently).
Tech has a 12!!!! year H&H with ODU, that has only been recently in place as ODUs program aint 10 years old...

Only us and Norfolk St seem to be shutout as D1 FB schools...

GreenGlasses
July 31st, 2018, 01:42 PM
We’ve been actively calling them for decades but they never happen to bite. In 2010, we almost had a 2017 game with tech lined up and they backed out after the loss. Their schedules weren’t filled up until 2030 as far back as 2010. They chose to fill them up.

Hell, ODU currently has a 2021 opening and so do we. Our Assoc AD said he contacted them. If it doesn’t happen, they didn’t let it happen or were severely low balling the payout.

I guess you’re calling our head coach and associate AD liars then. Both have publicly said as much.

I know for a fact VA Tech's schedule has been full to at least 2028 going all the way back to 2009. Since then its now full to 2031.

Those '19 and '20 UVA schedules are atrocious and 3 VA schools. they havent played us since the 80's? But UR & W&M always get further deals (UVA has lost to both recently).
Tech has a 12!!!! year H&H with ODU, that has only been recently in place as ODUs program aint 10 years old...

Only us and Norfolk St seem to be shutout as D1 FB schools...

Maybe if your admin would have got their heads out of their rear and set you on a path to play IA football JMU may have ended up with a 12 game home and home. But your admin are to busy wanting to play Maine, Rhode Island and Elon instead.

centennial
July 31st, 2018, 04:40 PM
Nearly 40 million dollars a year from student fees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2nd most in dollar terms in the country (all D1). 1st in the FCS. JMU only has 8 million private funding.

SkinsWizDukes
August 1st, 2018, 01:40 PM
I know for a fact VA Tech's schedule has been full to at least 2028 going all the way back to 2009. Since then its now full to 2031.

Maybe if your admin would have got their heads out of their rear and set you on a path to play IA football JMU may have ended up with a 12 game home and home. But your admin are to busy wanting to play Maine, Rhode Island and Elon instead.

Since you know for a fact please share your source.

SkinsWizDukes
August 1st, 2018, 01:47 PM
JMU's use of student fees has been pretty well documented at this point. A significant amount of the JMU athletics budget includes operating costs that the vast majority of institutions don't account to athletics. Schools are using student fees to pay those costs but it's a hidden expense for the sake of this argument as it isn't showing in the athletic subsidy. When removing those expenses, JMU operates at ~58% subsidy. I have no idea why they operate in this manner as on paper it doesn't look good, but the reality is it isn't nearly as bad as people argue it is.

bjtheflamesfan
August 1st, 2018, 08:34 PM
You do know that JMU bought out the last game right?

Also, what happened the last time the Dukes and the Flames met?

BDKJMU
August 2nd, 2018, 10:33 PM

And I know for a fact you are full of it. VT's OOC football schedule through 2025 wasn't full until at least 2013, and 2026-2031 wasn't full until at least July 2017..

ODU didn't play their 1st season of football until 2009, their 1st season of CAA until 2011, and didn't announce that they were moving up until the Spring of 2012. Late 2012 they announced a 3 games series with with VA Tech for games in 2016, 2018, and 2019.
https://pilotonline.com/sports/college/old-dominion/article_00116979-fe80-583b-8e43-79ae635b3858.html

In 2013 they extended the series to run 7 games through 2025.
https://pilotonline.com/sports/college/old-dominion/article_5b2a1479-77c9-52a1-8a7a-b7ad05dd2adf.html

They extended it last year (July 2017) through 2031.
http://www.dailypress.com/sports/old-dominion/dp-spt-odu-vt-sked-0729-20170728-story.html

BDKJMU
August 2nd, 2018, 10:37 PM

Since you know for a fact please share your source.
He doesn't have a source. He completely made it up.

RootinFerDukes
August 3rd, 2018, 11:26 AM
You do know that JMU bought out the last game right?

Also, what happened the last time the Dukes and the Flames met?

I think the original rumor was it was a 2 for 2 series. We played 2 in lynchburg and 1 in harrisonburg. We moved the 2012 hburg game due to the opportunity with WVU at Fed Ex. Thank you to Liberty for that flexibility.

Somehow, and I have no clue how, that one home game owed became a road game owed. Maybe that was an unannounced caveat of Liberty agreeing to the last minute schedule change without money involved. That it flip from a LU road game to a home game. Then rumor has it that the originally 2012 game was somehow bought out by JMU, although never publicly announced to my knowledge.

Anyways, according to our Assoc AD, we have more recently than 2012, reached out to LU about a game and supposedly LU is balking all of a sudden. He said, all VA FBS won't take us up on scheduling right now. Mike Houston has supposedly said that to people in person too, although not through the media. I agree to take that FWIW.

StrikeJMU
August 3rd, 2018, 11:37 AM
As long as they keep winning 9 out of every 10 games, I don’t give a damn who they play.