PDA

View Full Version : Southland 2018 Fall Thread

Pages : [1] 2

Outsider1
July 30th, 2018, 12:07 PM
Well, most Fall camps are starting this week, so I thought I would go ahead and start a 2018 regular season thread. Congrats to SHSU, UCA, Nicholls and McNeese on the AGS poll. You guys can correct me but I do think the Southland is deeper than years past. SLU has a chance to play spoiler, as well as SFA and us. We aren't ready to make any play off runs yet but I think this season will show progress. I believe our Fall camp starts on 8/4. I can't wait to go watch and evaluate.

Daytripper
July 30th, 2018, 12:43 PM
Well, most Fall camps are starting this week, so I thought I would go ahead and start a 2018 regular season thread. Congrats to SHSU, UCA, Nicholls and McNeese on the AGS poll. You guys can correct me but I do think the Southland is deeper than years past. SLU has a chance to play spoiler, as well as SFA and us. We aren't ready to make any play off runs yet but I think this season will show progress. I believe our Fall camp starts on 8/4. I can't wait to go watch and evaluate.

Agree. The conference is stronger at the top but still very week in the bottom quarter...

Sammy94
July 30th, 2018, 01:12 PM
Agree. The conference is stronger at the top but still very week in the bottom quarter...

We will see. I think IWU will surprise some folks.

Daytripper
July 30th, 2018, 01:25 PM
We will see. I think IWU will surprise some folks.

Good young coach.. You might be right.

Outsider1
July 30th, 2018, 01:47 PM
UIW has gotten a couple of recruits for this year and next that we tried to get that could be decent players. They still have a ways to go, but agree that they could share a surprise or two. I think the top half will be the half to watch for sure. It will be interesting to see where everything falls. I hate that the top half is our back half of the season........

Wildcat1997
July 30th, 2018, 02:24 PM
I'm not sold on Morris yet. He is young and enthusiastic but it remains to be seen if he can translate that into being a competent head coach.

McNeese75
July 30th, 2018, 02:30 PM
I know it seems every time McNeese visits IWU or ACU it's a struggle.

BEAR
July 30th, 2018, 02:44 PM
Let's look at who we think will be a playoff team this year. I'll list the teams then list from 1 (most likely) to 11 (not likely)

1. SHSU- Reloaded. But QB gone. I'm kinda torn on this one.
2. Nicholls. Talented. Ready. If they can put it together.
3. McNeese- Been too long. Talented.
4. SLU- Talented. Could get 3rd spot.
5. SFA- FBS laden. Talented. could get third spot.
6. UCA- Reloading? Restarting? BIG UNKNOWN!
7. Lamar- Not there yet.
8. ACU- Same as Lamar.
9. NWST- No.
10. UIW- Um no.
11. HBU- Not this year.

What order do you have them? xdontknowx

McCowboys
July 30th, 2018, 02:56 PM
Let's look at who we think will be a playoff team this year. I'll list the teams then list from 1 (most likely) to 11 (not likely)

7. Lamar- Not there yet.
8. ACU- Same as Lamar.
9. NWST- No.
10. UIW- Um no.
11. HBU- Not this year.

A really crazy thing about the SLC: For so long, there were some long-standing coaches at so many programs. Now, though he is only in his third year, Coach Guidry is the second longest tenured coach in the SLC behind only Keeler at SHSU (if I am not mistaken). And though he is only in his third year, the McNeese coaching staff is pretty much intact for all of these three years.

SLU always gives McNeese fits. McNeese has to go to SLU this year. Maybe the toughest conference road game for the Cowboys? What difference(s) will it be with a new coach for the Lions? The same could be said about the Demons. Not much luck in the victory column, but so many games were nailbiters. What will the new coaching staff bring to the table?

What have the second year coaches in the conference learned? What will be different about their teams?

McNeese does get SFA, Nicholls, and UCA at home. SFA and McNeese think the other's field is a good place to play as the visiting team has won in the last six matchups. UCA and McNeese have won on each other's field as well. Due to rotation, McNeese loses out on a chance to meet one of the best in the country and get a boost in its RPI by not facing the Bearkats.

UCA has so many big conference games on the road after having the tough(est) matchups at home last year.

Wildcat1997
July 30th, 2018, 03:06 PM

7. Lamar- Not there yet.
8. ACU- Same as Lamar.
9. NWST- No.
10. UIW- Um no.
11. HBU- Not this year.

What order do you have them? xdontknowxI would put ACU ahead of Lamar but other than that I think you're pretty much spot on.

Outsider1
July 30th, 2018, 03:14 PM

7. Lamar- Not there yet.
8. ACU- Same as Lamar.
9. NWST- No.
10. UIW- Um no.
11. HBU- Not this year.

I agree with '97 that I would have ACU at #7, but add that UCA should be at #5. Although SFA could really surprise, I think UCA has the better history of winning and I think that will make the difference.

Sammy94
July 30th, 2018, 04:19 PM
There's a real good chance Nicholls opens the season 0-4. I'm not sure I know of a more over hyped preseason team out there. Amazing what a couple of close losses (and close wins) to the right teams can do for a program.

BEAR
July 30th, 2018, 04:50 PM
Post your schedule so we can get a good view of what you think might happen this year.

UCA:

At Tulsa- FBS loss
Murray State- win
At SLU- tossup lean loss
At SHSU- likely loss
HBU- win
At SFA- tossup lean loss
NWST - win
At McNeese- tossup lean loss
Lamar- likely win
UIW- win
At ACU- lean win

I could be way wrong. I've seen the talent on this team. Looks good. But let's see how it plays out with ALL the tough conference games on the road, new coach and new skill players.

McCowboys
July 30th, 2018, 05:52 PM
McNeese
2018 Football

Date

Opponent

9/01

No. Colorado

A

9/08

Houston Baptist

A

9/15

Nicholls

H

9/22

BYU

A

9/30

SFA

H

10/6

Abilene Christian

H

10/20

Incarnate Word

A

10/27

UCA

H

11/3

Southeastern

A

11/10

Northwestern St.

A

11/17

Lamar

H

McNeese72
July 30th, 2018, 06:04 PM
There's a real good chance Nicholls opens the season 0-4. I'm not sure I know of a more over hyped preseason team out there. Amazing what a couple of close losses (and close wins) to the right teams can do for a program.

I have been saying that Nicholls is overrated going into the season. We will know for sure the 3rd weekend of the season. ;)

Doc

Daytripper
July 30th, 2018, 07:14 PM

Nicholls was good the whole season and should have beaten South Dakota in the playoffs. If you are basing this year on the beatdown that Sam put on them last year, remember every team can drop an ugly deuce....:CSU-Pueblo.

Sammy94
July 30th, 2018, 07:49 PM
Nicholls was good the whole season and should have beaten South Dakota in the playoffs. If you are basing this year on the beatdown that Sam put on them last year, remember every team can drop an ugly deuce....:CSU-Pueblo.

I’m not basing anybody on one game results but who did they beat last year? Barely got by McNeese....besides them who did they beat that had a winning record? Does scraping by the bottom dwellers of the SLC all year make you a “good team”? 6-5 for 2018, no playoffs is my prediction.

Outsider1
July 30th, 2018, 08:19 PM
9/1 @ Baylor = Loss
9/8 H Angelo State = Win
9/15 @ HBU = Win
9/22 @ SFA = Win
9/29 H UIW = Win
10/6 @ McNeese = Loss
10/13 H Nicholls = Win
10/20 @ SLU = Loss
11/3 H NSU = Win
11/10 @ SHSU = Loss
11/17 H UCA = Loss

I doubt we have this many "Ws", but I hope to pull off one between SFA and Nicholls. We are still hoping to be at 5-6 by the end of the year. Will the 5th "W" come somewhere else? Who knows.....

SFA 93
July 30th, 2018, 09:02 PM
L 09/01/18 @Mississippi State 6:30 P.M. ESPNU
W 09/08/18 Tarleton State 6:00 P.M. ESPN+
W 09/15/18 @UIW TBA
W 09/22/18 Abilene Christian 6:00 P.M. ESPN+
09/29/18 @McNeese State TBA
10/06/18 Sam Houston State ESPN+
10/13/18 Central Arkansas 3:00 P.M. ESPN+
W 10/20/18 @Houston Baptist TBA
W 10/27/18 Lamar 3:00 P.M. ESPN+
11/10/18 @Nicholls TBA
W 11/15/18 Northwestern State 6:00 P.M. ESPN+

6 Win season with the possibility of upsets.

McCowboys
July 30th, 2018, 09:13 PM
Forgive me for drinking the purple kool-aid, but everyone so far says they expect to beat Northwestern State. The Demons were 4-5 in conference last year and beat ACU and SFA. This year the Demons have McNeese, Nicholls, and Sam Houston in Natchitoches. Just like with SFA who has some fans thinking Byrd may be a step up from Conque, how about a new staff bringing some pride and fire to the Demons? I really haven't checked to see who they lost or have coming back, but their qb Holgorsen returns. He set a passing record in Cowboy Stadium last year.

Maybe everyone will beat up on them, but I would caution about being so eager to automatically chalk up a win against them.

Outsider1
July 30th, 2018, 09:36 PM
McCowboys, you could be right. I am just prefering my flavor of purple. We lost by 3 to them in OT last year on their turf. This year we have them at home. Have they improved more than us? That could be, I honestly haven't looked them over. I haven't forgotten about them, but I don't think we have forgotten that OT loss either.

katss07
July 30th, 2018, 09:51 PM
IMO, this is again a three bid conference. Nicholls, Sam and some combo of SELA/McNeese/UCA. Again it’s top heavy, but I’m looking for some progress in ACU and maybe HBU (The Word is a lost cause).

Daytripper
July 30th, 2018, 11:29 PM
Forgive me for drinking the purple kool-aid, but everyone so far says they expect to beat Northwestern State. The Demons were 4-5 in conference last year and beat ACU and SFA. This year the Demons have McNeese, Nicholls, and Sam Houston in Natchitoches. Just like with SFA who has some fans thinking Byrd may be a step up from Conque, how about a new staff bringing some pride and fire to the Demons? I really haven't checked to see who they lost or have coming back, but their qb Holgorsen returns. He set a passing record in Cowboy Stadium last year.

Maybe everyone will beat up on them, but I would caution about being so eager to automatically chalk up a win against them.

NWST always brews up some evil s**t at their place for the Bearkats.... never easy.

McCowboys
July 31st, 2018, 05:20 AM
NWST always brews up some evil s**t at their place for the Bearkats.... never easy.

That's what I'm warning everyone about! Good thing fans don't play these games! If the coaches/teams take the Demons for granted, it's a big mistake. They always seem to have good talent. They have had some injury problems with key positions the last couple of seasons.

McNeese has a lengthy winning streak against the Demons, but most of the games have been settled by a touchdown or less and several with the Demons driving for a go ahead score. There is a new sheriff in town and ending the streak against rival McNeese would definitely be an awesome feat for this new coaching staff.

TheRevSFA
July 31st, 2018, 07:05 AM
9/1 @ Baylor = Loss
9/8 H Angelo State = Win
9/15 @ HBU = Win
9/22 @ SFA = Win
9/29 H UIW = Win
10/6 @ McNeese = Loss
10/13 H Nicholls = Win
10/20 @ SLU = Loss
11/3 H NSU = Win
11/10 @ SHSU = Loss
11/17 H UCA = Loss

I doubt we have this many "Ws", but I hope to pull off one between SFA and Nicholls. We are still hoping to be at 5-6 by the end of the year. Will the 5th "W" come somewhere else? Who knows.....

You won't beat us in Nac. Sorry. You couldn't beat us last year with Conque running a **** offense xnodx

TheRevSFA
July 31st, 2018, 07:05 AM
Never sleep on the Demons.

BEAR
July 31st, 2018, 07:12 AM
Here's a clearer picture of starters lost from Tru's post:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28320&stc=1

Keep in mind that this doesn't consider KEY losses like QB etc. which I think will take a bigger toll of SHSU and UCA than many think. But the sheer number of losses by UCA and SLU may leave this conference wide open.

- - - Updated - - -

Keep in mind that this doesn't consider KEY losses like QB etc. which I think will take a bigger toll of SHSU and UCA than many think. But the sheer number of losses by UCA and SLU may leave this conference wide open.

Outsider1
July 31st, 2018, 08:34 AM
You won't beat us in Nac. Sorry. You couldn't beat us last year with Conque running a **** offense xnodx

You may be right.

- - - Updated - - -

Never sleep on the Demons.

We aren't sleeping now, nor will we be come game day with them.

katss07
July 31st, 2018, 08:35 AM
KC and the Kats slept on NWST last year. It took a lot of work but they pulled a W out of their ass, at home no less. Same kind of thing with ACU...

BEAR
July 31st, 2018, 11:14 AM
Team media guide is out. Might have been for a while but I didn't think to look for it. Post the link for YOUR team!

http://ucasports.com/custompages/2018%20FB%20MEDIA%20GUIDE-GAME%20NOTES/UCA%20FB%20MEDIA%20GUIDE%20ONLINE%202018.pdf

TheRevSFA
July 31st, 2018, 11:23 AM
You may be right.

- - - Updated - - -

We aren't sleeping now, nor will we be come game day with them.

I do think in the next 5 years ACU will be the powerhouse of the conference.

BEAR
July 31st, 2018, 11:46 AM

I see them as more of an SLU type team. Making good runs and popping up every once in a while with a good transfer QB.

Outsider1
July 31st, 2018, 12:24 PM
Who knows really. The one thing I like is that Dorrel has a program mentality and not a team mentality; don't depend on transfers, build a few steady streams of recruiting venues and have a strong walk-on pathway. With my predictions I can see us going 4-7 instead of 5-6 as easily as I can see us going 6-5 this year. There are so many games on our schedule that can go either way. After this year I will know better whether I want to agree to our powerhouse potential. My kool-aid says yes, our history agrees with the SLU comment until we prove otherwise.

BEAR
July 31st, 2018, 12:49 PM
Just to start some discussion about our teams, let's look at what confidence we have in our QBs.

Here they are: At least what I could find on their roster pages.

ACU: Anthony, Davis, Klayman, Horn- None of the 4 have any game experience at ACU.
SHSU: Schmid, Dare, Brock- None of them have SHSU game experience. Dare is a transfer from Lackawanna College.
UCA: Sophomore Breylin Smith, JR Kirk Baugh- Both have very limited game experience.
McNeese: James Tabary. 2016 SLC newcome of year. Solid QB. Experienced. Ark. State transfer. OTHERS?
SLU: JR Lorenzo Nunez. South Carolina transfer. VERY Solid. 2017 SLC Newcomer of year. JR Chason Virgil, Fresno state transfer. solid.
Nicholls: JR Chase Fourcade. Solid. Fast. Deceptive. Senior Nick Conley- no stats.
Lamar: Sr Darrel Colbert- 6 games experience. Jordan Hoy- Old Dominion transfer, junior, no Lamar game experience.
UIW: JR Sean Brophy- 11 games at UIW. 240 passes. 135 comp. Sr Taylor Brown- no game experience. JR Cole Brownholtz- no game experience.
HBU: Zappe, Haidet, Swensen, and Nowell have no HBU game experience.
SFA: JR Jake Blumrick- Solid passer. 8 starts/10 total. Josh Covey- University of Texas transfer. Foster Sawyer- SR- Sept 23rd season ending injury, three previous seasons at TCU.
NWST: SR Clay Holgorsen- NW Mississippi and Memphis transfer. First year at NWST.

katss07
July 31st, 2018, 01:14 PM
I have little confidence in Dare ONLY because he has no experience. I think he can and will be a good quarterback, but he needs to show it. This year I’ll probably end up evaluating him on a game to game basis. He isn’t as strong of a passer as JB, but I think he is a bit more mobile than Briscoe. I have no real expectations for Dare as an individual. I think the Kats O will be much more balanced as a whole. The running game will probably be used a bit more, even though they should still be a pass first team.

I do expect this team to do well. The closer the year gets, the stronger I feel about this team being a contender to get deep into the playoffs. Even with the loss of Hall, the defense should be improved. I think playoffs are certainly the expectation among Sam fans, even with the loss of Briscoe. But what do I know...Sam is unpredictable. We’ll see how it pans out.

Wildcat1997
July 31st, 2018, 01:22 PM
Just to start some discussion about our teams, let's look at what confidence we have in our QBs.

ACU: Anthony, Davis, Klayman, Horn- None of the 4 have any game experience at ACU.
SHSU: Schmid, Dare, Brock- None of them have SHSU game experience. Dare is a transfer from Lackawanna College.
UCA: Sophomore Breylin Smith, JR Kirk Baugh- Both have very limited game experience.
McNeese: James Tabary. 2016 SLC newcome of year. Solid QB. Experienced. Ark. State transfer. OTHERS?
SLU: JR Lorenzo Nunez. South Carolina transfer. VERY Solid. 2017 SLC Newcomer of year. JR Chason Virgil, Fresno state transfer. solid.
Nicholls: JR Chase Fourcade. Solid. Fast. Deceptive. Senior Nick Conley- no stats.
Lamar: Sr Darrel Colbert- 6 games experience. Jordan Hoy- Old Dominion transfer, junior, no Lamar game experience.
UIW: JR Sean Brophy- 11 games at UIW. 240 passes. 135 comp. Sr Taylor Brown- no game experience. JR Cole Brownholtz- no game experience.
SFA: JR Jake Blumrick- Solid passer. 8 starts/10 total. Josh Covey- University of Texas transfer. Foster Sawyer- SR- Sept 23rd season ending injury, three previous seasons at TCU.
NWST: SR Clay Holgorsen- NW Mississippi and Memphis transfer. First year at NWST.Anthony started several games for us last year and played well. He threw for 11 TDs and 776 yards to only 4 picks. Remember that he was the QB that led the near upset of Sam, outside of him though we're worried about our depth there. People that went to practices said that Klayman was having trouble throwing the ball in the west Texas wind, but that was a couple of months ago so hopefully he's improved there. The coaches have said that they want to get Davis on the field in some packages to utilize his running ability. Horn is a true freshman who had some really great stats at Graham but I think he'll get redshirted and isn't going to be a factor this season. If I had to say our QB depth chart right now I'd say 1. Anthony 2. Davis 3. Klayman 4. Horn

Wildcat1997
July 31st, 2018, 01:25 PM
I see them as more of an SLU type team. Making good runs and popping up every once in a while with a good transfer QB.With how the last few seasons have gone I would take that scenario in a heartbeat.

BEAR
July 31st, 2018, 01:26 PM
My list of SLC Qbs and where I see them.

Experienced QBs:
1. SLU Nunez
2. McNeese Tabary
3. Nicholls Fourcade

QBs with potential:
4. UCA Smith
5. SHSU Dare
6. SFA Blumrick ( might also be under exp. QBs)

QBs with some experience:
7. UIW Brophy
8. Lamar Colbert

QBs with NO experience in SLC:
9. HBU- all
10. ACU- all (unless I read the football website wrong)
11. NWST- Holgorsen (tough to place)

BEAR
July 31st, 2018, 01:29 PM
Anthony started several games for us last year and played well. He was the QB that led the near upset of Sam, outside of him though we're worried about our depth there. People that went to practices said that Klayman was having trouble throwing the ball in the west Texas wind, but that was a couple of months ago so hopefully he's improved there. The coaches have said that they want to get Davis on the field in some packages to utilize his running ability. Horn is a true freshman who had some really great stats at Graham but I think he'll get redshirted and isn't going to be a factor this season. If I had to say our QB depth chart right now I'd say 1. Anthony 2. Davis 3. Klayman 4. Horn

That's great info! Thanks! It's that view that us fans don't get if we don't follow a program closely as their own fans do. xbowx

BEAR
July 31st, 2018, 01:31 PM
With how the last few seasons have gone I would take that scenario in a heartbeat.

I've been cheering on ACU since we played you guys years ago. So much potential but it just seems to fizzle as the year progresses. What will it take to get over that hump? xeyebrowx

McNeese75
July 31st, 2018, 01:36 PM
My list of SLC Qbs and where I see them.

Experienced QBs:
1. SLU Nunez
2. McNeese Tabary
3. Nicholls Fourcade

QBs with potential:
4. UCA Smith
5. SHSU Dare
6. SFA Blumrick ( might also be under exp. QBs)

QBs with some experience:
7. UIW Brophy
8. Lamar Colbert

QBs with NO experience in SLC:
9. HBU- all
10. ACU- all (unless I read the football website wrong)
11. NWST- Holgorsen (tough to place)

I would place Fourcade or Tabary above Nunez. Of course we all know things will change quickly beginning in a few weeks. Some will live up to expectations, some won't and there will always be a newcomer or two the light it up.

Wildcat1997
July 31st, 2018, 01:40 PM
I've been cheering on ACU since we played you guys years ago. So much potential but it just seems to fizzle as the year progresses. What will it take to get over that hump? xeyebrowxI think it's just going to take time. The investment is there but it just hasn't had enough time to pay off. In the last maybe only year and a half to two years we've built our stadium, increased coaches salaries, increased the recruiting budget, hired a national championship winning coach and have gotten to 63 scholarships. Of course none of that guarantees success but I believe in this program and Dorrel and think we're on our way to being successful and fulfilling our potential.

BEAR
July 31st, 2018, 01:45 PM
I think it's just going to take time. The investment is there but it just hasn't had enough time to pay off. In the last maybe only year and a half to two years we've built our stadium, increased coaches salaries, increased the recruiting budget, hired a national championship winning coach and have gotten to 63 scholarships. Of course none of that guarantees success but I believe in this program and Dorrel and think we're on our way to being successful and fulfilling our potential.

Love that new stadium. Those schollys help greatly. Plus Texas is a pretty good recruiting ground...xthumbsupx

BEAR
July 31st, 2018, 01:47 PM
I would place Fourcade or Tabary above Nunez. Of course we all know things will change quickly beginning in a few weeks. Some will live up to expectations, some won't and there will always be a newcomer or two the light it up.

Yeah, I had a tough time with those three. They are all experienced at their school so mix em up if you want. Look at them more as a group I guess.

McNeese75
July 31st, 2018, 01:48 PM
Yeah, I had a tough time with those three. They are all experienced at their school so mix em up if you want. Look at them more as a group I guess.

xthumbsupx

McNeese72
July 31st, 2018, 02:29 PM
I heard that Cody Orgeron (the other Orgeron twin) really looked good in the spring. He should be second team behind Tabary. On another note, Kerry Joseph is now coaching the QB's at McNeese. He and Landon Hoefer switched position coaching (WR and QB).

I am anxious to see what Kerry can do with that big freshman from Florida. I know he probably won't see the field this season but for the future.

Doc

Catatonic
July 31st, 2018, 03:24 PM

NWST: SR Clay Holgorsen- NW Mississippi and Memphis transfer. First year at NWST.

Anthony played in 7 games last year with two starts for ACU. He threw 80 completions in 132 attempts, for 776 yards, 11 TD’s and 4 interceptions. None of the backups have any ACU experience but we will be ok at QB when Anthony is on the field. I hope one of the other guys steps up during fall camp.

80-132-4

Outsider1
July 31st, 2018, 03:40 PM
Completely agree with '97's QB assessment. Anthony has some experience in the SLC and has shown his talent. Beyond that, it's a depth issue. I was the one that said Klayman was having trouble throwing in the wind and handling heavy pressure as well. I saw his potential, he just needs to gain experience. So, no experienced QB there. Davis also doesn't have experience even though he is super quick and has a good arm. Last year was just a QB change over year for us; starting Sealey and finishing with Anthony. Klayman wasn't here and Davis was still being developed. I think getting over that hump will mean consistency and depth in players. We were behind in scholarships transitioning to D1. Even by the end of our transition we weren't where we needed to be. Dorrel has improved our depth, consistency and attitude. Still, we will have to maintain that progression to get all the way over the hump. We had good games at the end of last year, SHSU was one of them.

BEAR
July 31st, 2018, 04:17 PM
Anthony played in 7 games last year with two starts for ACU. He threw 80 completions in 132 attempts, for 776 yards, 11 TD’s and 4 interceptions. None of the backups have any ACU experience but we will be ok at QB when Anthony is on the field. I hope one of the other guys steps up during fall camp.

80-132-4

I see what has happened. The ACU football website doesn't have any 2017 stats for Anthony under his bio or stats pages. Thanks for the update.

katss07
July 31st, 2018, 04:45 PM
Another little nugget on the Sam qb situation. I’d expect Schmid to be the first guy off the bench after Dare. He is a great runner and could be used in some sort of option play. He showcased his speed during the spring game and the dude looked fast. He has a fine arm, but just average compared to Dare’s. I’d expect KCK to use him in a wildcat at some point this season. Brock will be third I would assume.

McCowboys
July 31st, 2018, 05:25 PM
I have been saying that Nicholls is overrated going into the season. We will know for sure the 3rd weekend of the season. ;)

Doc

Doc! You are hereby stripped of your sandbagging title! You know Nicholls, no matter how overrated someone thinks they might be, should be at least 1-3 after the 4th game. Did you fall and hit your head on something? xcoffeex

FormerPokeCenter
July 31st, 2018, 11:07 PM
I'm kinda with you on this one....

Brad Laird is the new HC....The last time the Demons had a former Demon QB as their HC, they played for the conference title pretty frequently and had a winning record pretty much every year.

I think the Demons are going to surprise some folks this year...I just hope it's not us.

SFA 93
August 1st, 2018, 07:30 AM
K:#36 Storm Ruiz (2017 Fred Mitchell Award Finalist) (Jr.)
P:#45 Caleb Lewallen (2018 Pre-season All Conference) (Sr.)
LS:#51 Chris Wilkenson (2018 Pre-season All American) (Sr.)
KR:#33 Alize Ward (2018 Pre-season All Conference) (Jr.)

I guess the SFA special teams is suppose to be good.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DjdG9TAUUAA103t.jpg

Catatonic
August 1st, 2018, 08:09 AM
Don’t get me started on the shortcomings of our website.
I see what has happened. The ACU football website doesn't have any 2017 stats for Anthony under his bio or stats pages. Thanks for the update.

McNeese72
August 1st, 2018, 08:20 AM
Doc! You are hereby stripped of your sandbagging title! You know Nicholls, no matter how overrated someone thinks they might be, should be at least 1-3 after the 4th game. Did you fall and hit your head on something? xcoffeex

Okay, I have come to my senses. We don't have a chance against Nicholls, the game will go like last season's opener. We will give up both a 60+ and a 70+ yard TD pass plays because our DB's don't have their heads together even though this game is the 3rd game of the season and not the opener like last season. Tabary is going to throw a 70+ yard pick 6 like last season. We will have 432 yards vs their 302. We will have the ball for 40:06 minutes to their 19:54 minutes and we are going to lose to last second field goal like last season.

We don't have a chance in hell to win this game, especially since Nicholls is rated much higher than us.

Better?

Doc

Daytripper
August 1st, 2018, 08:23 AM
Okay, I have come to my senses. We don't have a chance against Nicholls, the game will go like last season's opener. We will give up both a 60+ and a 70+ yard TD pass plays because our DB's don't have their heads together even though this game is the 3rd game of the season and not the opener like last season. Tabary is going to throw a 70+ yard pick 6 like last season. We will have 432 yards vs their 302. We will have the ball for 40:06 minutes to their 19:54 minutes and we are going to lose to last second field goal like last season.

We don't have a chance in hell to win this game, especially since Nicholls is rated much higher than us.

Better?

Doc

Great! This is the McNeese fan that I have come to love!!

McCowboys
August 1st, 2018, 08:35 AM

Better?

Doc

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28331&stc=1

- - - Updated - - -

Better?

Doc

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28331&stc=1

Panther88
August 1st, 2018, 10:38 AM
(SHSU) I'm sure Dare will more than naught be the starter but I thought that superior lefty Griffin would've been the obvious shoe-in. What happened to Griffin? (txfer'd?) One cannot deny the pedigree of rFr Schmid and the physical talent of rFr Brock.

Daytripper
August 1st, 2018, 10:43 AM
(SHSU) I'm sure Dare will more than naught be the starter but I thought that superior lefty Griffin would've been the obvious shoe-in. What happened to Griffin? (txfer'd?) One cannot deny the pedigree of rFr Schmid and the physical talent of rFr Brock.

Heard he liked to party more than practice and was gently nudged out the door...

Wildcat1997
August 1st, 2018, 10:57 AM

- - - Updated - - -

Keep in mind that this doesn't consider KEY losses like QB etc. which I think will take a bigger toll of SHSU and UCA than many think. But the sheer number of losses by UCA and SLU may leave this conference wide open.I wonder who they are counting as the starters for ACU? If they are counting guys like QB Dallas Sealey or RB DeAndre Brown as lost starters for us then honestly it might be a little misleading because they both lost their jobs later in the season to their better backups. Losing a guy like Denmark is tough but outside of him I don't really see us getting worse off at many positions where we lost starters.

fmftballmgr
August 1st, 2018, 11:12 AM

Not if their new AD treats football like he did at Murray State. Gave the football team no tools to succeed

Panther88
August 1st, 2018, 11:16 AM
Heard he liked to party more than practice and was gently nudged out the door...

*speechless*

All of that god blessed talent... xsmhx I was looking forward to him taking the reigns, after watching a talent like Briscoe do his thing very successfully.

Wildcat1997
August 1st, 2018, 12:23 PM
Not if their new AD treats football like he did at Murray State. Gave the football team no tools to succeedI don't know if I'm going to put that all on him. He obviously deserves some of the blame but it seems like more of an institutional thing to me. You're a Murray State fan so you know better than me but from what I gather Murray State is a basketball school through and through and focuses their limited resources on that. ACU is more of a football school as evidenced by the investments we've made there. There are a lot of people involved in ACU athletics that won't let him forget about football.

Outsider1
August 1st, 2018, 12:36 PM
I wonder who they are counting as the starters for ACU? If they are counting guys like QB Dallas Sealey or RB DeAndre Brown as lost starters for us then honestly it might be a little misleading because they both lost their jobs later in the season to their better backups. Losing a guy like Denmark is tough but outside of him I don't really see us getting worse off at many positions where we lost starters.

I think it is true that even though we lost a decent amount of players, we have still become a deeper team in many positions. Not all positions of course, but many. I don't know how true that is for others in the SLC??

fmftballmgr
August 1st, 2018, 12:48 PM
I don't know if I'm going to put that all on him. He obviously deserves some of the blame but it seems like more of an institutional thing to me. You're a Murray State fan so you know better than me but from what I gather Murray State is a basketball school through and through and focuses their limited resources on that. ACU is more of a football school as evidenced by the investments we've made there. There are a lot of people involved in ACU athletics that won't let him forget about football.

He may get down there and treat football like he did men's basketball here.

The basketball fans want us to be a basketball only. We become "a basketball school cause we were the big fish in a very small pond know as the the OVC. During the 90's their was Austin Peay and a few flashes from TSU but their was no competition from the other schools. If we were a basketball school then we would have been out of the first round more than 2 times in 20 years. Now that Belmont has joined the ovc it is not a given that we even get out of our conference tourney anymore.
There was some stuff restrictions put in by one president but when he left AW did not fight to get back to where we were.

Catatonic
August 1st, 2018, 01:24 PM
He may get down there and treat football like he did men's basketball here.

The basketball fans want us to be a basketball only. We become "a basketball school cause we were the big fish in a very small pond know as the the OVC. During the 90's their was Austin Peay and a few flashes from TSU but their was no competition from the other schools. If we were a basketball school then we would have been out of the first round more than 2 times in 20 years. Now that Belmont has joined the ovc it is not a given that we even get out of our conference tourney anymore.
There was some stuff restrictions put in by one president but when he left AW did not fight to get back to where we were.

ACU’s FB Coach was on the search committee that hired AW. I’m pretty sure he conveyed his views about resourcing the program. xpeacex

fmftballmgr
August 1st, 2018, 01:35 PM
ACU’s FB Coach was on the search committee that hired AW. I’m pretty sure he conveyed his views about resourcing the program. xpeacex

I hope he works out for ya but in 13 years as AD MSU football had
2 winning seasons
1 .500 season
overall record of 50-96

BEAR
August 1st, 2018, 02:30 PM
I hope he works out for ya but in 13 years as AD MSU football had
2 winning seasons
1 .500 season
overall record of 50-96

I feel sorry for ACU fans because this transition wasn't full on from the start. Their former head coach Ken suffered through multiple seasons short handed. ACU deserved better than that. Glad he's back at UCA now...but I was really cheering him on to be successful there. I didn't know they were playing with less schollys. Explains alot. Ken hates losing. xnodx

Catatonic
August 1st, 2018, 02:37 PM
I feel sorry for ACU fans because this transition wasn't full on from the start. Their former head coach Ken suffered through multiple seasons short handed. ACU deserved better than that. Glad he's back at UCA now...but I was really cheering him on to be successful there. I didn't know they were playing with less schollys. Explains alot. Ken hates losing. xnodx

Fewer scholarships. Low recruiting budget. Equipment funding was inadequate. Poor across the board. I’m glad Ken wound up back in Conway and in a position he is very good at performing, offensive coordinator.

Sammy94
August 1st, 2018, 04:49 PM
Basketball fans??? How did this guy not end up at SFA??

SFA 93
August 1st, 2018, 05:01 PM
2018 SFA players listed by game experience (combined with playing time at former school)

QB:#12 Foster Sawyer 6-5; 225 (Sr.) GP:16; GS:5 (TCU) Injured 2017
QB:#10 Jake Blumrick 6-2; 206 (Jr.) GP:11; GS:8
QB:#11 Josh Covey 6-1; 205 (Jr.) GP:1 (Texas)
QB:#18 Zach Truelove 6-3; 195 (R/Fr.) GP:0
QB:#8 Cam Arnold 6-1; 205 (Fr.) GP:0

RB:#32 Jamall Shaw 5-11; 210 (Jr.) GP:15; GS:1
RB:#29 Josh McGowen 5-10; 222 (So.) GP:9
RB:#25 Jae'lon Oglesby 5-11; 175 (Jr.) GP:9 (Memphis)
RB:#28 Thomas Hutchings 5-10; 205 (Jr.) GP:9 (Boise State/JUCO)
RB:#20 Dominic Williams 5-11; 205 (R/Fr.) GP:0
RB:#24 Tycen Thompson 5-9; 170 (Fr.) GP:0

WR:#5 Terian Goree 6-1; 175 (Sr.) GP:32;GS:28 (North Texas)
WR:#2 Frank Iheanacho 6-6; 225 (Sr.) GP:29;GS:9 (Texas A&M)
WR:#80 Tamrick Pace 6-3; 195 (Jr.) GP:22 GS:19 2X All-Conference
WR:#82 Cody Williams 6-3; 210 (Jr.) GP:18; GS:4
WR:#9 Remi Simmons 5-11; 185 (So.) GP:12 JUCO
WR:#84 Lar'Darion Cobb 6-3; 205 (Jr.) GP:12 (NAIA)
WR:#88 Dylan Parker 6-3; 212 (So.) GP:11
WR:#8 Calvin Clater 6-3; 200 (R/Fr.) GP:0 (Bowling Green)
WR:#19 Thomas Nolley 6-3; 200 (R/Fr.) GP:0
WR:#22 Josh Thompson 5-10; 185 (R/Fr.) GP:0
WR:#00 Ricky Rollerson 6-0; 177 (R/Fr.) GP:0 (Illinois State)
WR:#83 David Crenshaw 6-1; 195 (R/Fr.) GP:0
WR:#81 Braison Rudd 6-4; 185 (Fr.) GP:0
WR:#85 Quentyvian "Q" Borders 6-2; 180 (Fr.) GP:0

TE:#89 Bryce Wempa 6-5; 255 (Jr.) GP:13 (JUCO)
TE:#87 Allen Arclies III 6-4; 245 (So.) GP:4 Injured 2017
TE:#86 Donte Coleman 6-4; 245 (So.) GP:1 (Fresno State)
TE:#41 Tony Gilbert II 6-1; 255 (R/Fr.) GP:0
TE:#48 Barclay Ford 6-3; 235 (Fr.) GP:0
TE:#00 Clint Lapic 6-4; 235 (Fr.) GP:0
TE:#00 Ryan Waugh 6-3; 215 (Fr.) GP:0

OL:#75 Josiah Hunter 6-5; 322 (Sr.) GP:30; GS:4 (JUCO)
OL:#52 A.J. Brown 6-2; 316 (Jr.) GP:21; GS:17
OL:#65 Hayden Scott 6-2; 295 (Sr.) GP:20; GS:6
OL:#64 Travis Lock 6-3; 295 (Jr.) GP:19; GS:15
OL:#72 Collin Lagarde 6-3; 317 (Jr.) GP:19 (JUCO)
OL:#76 Cooper Williams 6-4; 312 (So.) GP:15; GS:4
OL:#71 Devonte Jones 6-3; 315 (Jr.) GP:12; GS:12 (Baylor) All-Conference
OL:#61 Jerrod Johnson 6-2; 295 (So.) GP:10 (JUCO)
OL:#66 Zach Mack 6-3; 312 (So.) GP:6; GS:1
OL:#78 Chett Munden 6-6; 305 (Jr.) GP:3 (North Texas)
OL:#62 Nick Langlois 6-2; 268 (R/Fr.) GP:0
OL:#73 Hayden Young 6-4; 297 (R/Fr.) GP:0
OL:#74 John Wilkowski 6-6; 290 (Fr.) GP:0
OL:#77 Jeffrey Rose 6-4; 287 (Fr.) GP:0
OL:#00 Brandon Baker 6-4; 305 (Fr.) GP:0
OL:#00 Cole Todd 6-3; 290 (Fr.) GP:0

DEFENSE 3-3-5

DT:#93 Lamont Alexander 6-3; 304 (Sr.) GP:32; GS:20 All-Conference
DT:#99 Shaq Anderson 6-0; 305 (Sr.) JUCO GP:30; GS:4
DT:#55 Paul Hill 6-1; 295 (Jr.) GP:15
DT:#90 Rayshad Nichols 6-3; 304 (So.) GP:11; GS:11
DT:#92 Larron Cox 6-2; 282 (So.) GP:11
DT:#95 Desmond Robinson 6-3; 266 (R/Fr.) GP:0

DE:#94 Demetrion Amie 6-5; 268 (Sr.) GP:26; GS:1 (TCU)
DE:#57 Gary Sampson 6-3; 280 (Jr.) GP:20
DE:#96 Daniel Brewer 6-3; 243 (Jr.) GP:9 (JUCO)
DE:#91 Holland Malone 6-5; 220 (R/Fr.) GP:0
DE:#97 Amad Murray 6-3; 255 (Fr.) GP:0
DE:#98 Tyrell Buard 6-3; 245 (Fr.) GP:0

LB:#42 Teddy Britton 5-11; 222 (Jr.) GP:22; GS:10
LB:#50 Ryan Woods 6-0; 232 (Sr.) GP:21; GS:8 Pre-Season All-Conference
LB:#7 Quin Jones 6-0; 232 (Jr.) GP:21 (JUCO) NJCAA National Champion
LB:#43 Anthony Jacobs 5-11; 228 (Jr.) GP:20; GS:10
LB:#49 Terrance Potts 6-2; 234 (Sr.) GP:11; GS:1 (JUCO)
LB:#44 Bert Morris 6-1; 224 (So.) GP:11
LB:#13 Kirkland Joseph 6-0; 215 (So.) GP:10 (JUCO)
LB:#17 Nazier Wright 6-2; 210 (So.) GP:10 (JUCO) All-Conference
LB:#00 Matt McGill 5-11; 215 (Jr.) GP:5 (Div. III)
LB:#00 Leelan Greene 6-0; 195 (Jr.) GP:0 (JUCO)
LB:#00 Jalen Sutton 6-2; 210 (R/Fr.) GP:0 (Illinois State)
LB:#39 Daryan Williams 5-11; 218 (Fr.) GP:0
LB:#00 Jacob Lewis 6-0; 210 (Fr.) GP:0

S:#3 Lawrence Ghansah 6-0; 195 (Sr.) GP:32;GS:3
S:#4 Chris James 6-0; 200 (Sr.) GP:31;GS:6 (Illinois)
S:#33 Alize Ward 5-10; 190 (Jr.) GP:22; GS:18 All Conference; Pre-Season All-Conference
S:#14 Trey Ramos 5-11; 192 (So.) GP:12; GS:1 Injured 2017
S:#38 Trenton Gordon 5-11; 195 (So.) GP:10; GS:8 Pre-Season All-Conference
S:#34 Gavin Roland 5-11; 195 (So.) GP:9
S:#30 Javon McInnis 5-10; 205 (R/Fr.) GP:0
S:#15 Jeremiah Davis 6-0; 180 (Fr.) GP:0
S:#27 Jaterious Evans 6-1; 190 (Fr.) GP:0
S:#35 Brody Anderson 5-10; 195 (Fr.) GP:0
S:#00 Zadok Esters 5-11; 185 (Fr.) GP:0
S:#00 Myles McDowell 5-10; 185 (Fr.) GP:0

CB:#6 Tyler Freeman 6-2; 190 (Jr.) GP:19 (JUCO) All-American
CB:#21 Davelle Fox 5-11; 185 (Sr.) GP:19; GS:1 (JUCO)
CB:#1 Aretavious Hendrix 6-1; 192 (Jr.) GP:18 (JUCO)
CB:#31 Caleb Lawton 5-11; 175 (So.) GP:10
CB:#23 Jadarius Byrd 5-10; 170 (Jr.) GP:9 (JUCO) All-Conference
CB:#26 Eli Jones 5-10; 170 (So.) GP:8
CB:#00 Tedrick Hawkins 6-0; 170 (Sr.) GP:0

K:#45 Caleb Lewallen 5-10; 200 (Sr.) GP:32 Pre-Season All-Conference
K:#36 Storm Ruiz 5-10; 170 (Jr.) GP:22 (Houston) FM Award Finalist
K:#40 Troy Duran 6-2; 185 (Jr.) GP:12 (JUCO) All-Conference
K:#69 Kyle Murdock 5-6; 150 (R/Fr.) GP:0
K:#00 Max Quick 5-10; 185 (Fr.) GP:0

LS:#51 Chris Wilkerson 6-2; 245 (Sr.) GP:32 Pre-Season All-American
LS:#00 Chase Ruiz 5-10; 235 (Fr.) GP:0

BEAR
August 2nd, 2018, 09:58 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DjmlHlKU4AISD2R.jpg:large

Wildcat1997
August 2nd, 2018, 11:30 AM
Here's what Coach Dorrel had to say at our annual Wildcat Kickoff: He talked about how THIS team is finally his coaching staff's team. Talked about the 100 kids who stayed for the summer. Mentioned how good he felt about Luke Anthony and at lunch, he mentioned how Sema'J Davis will have an impact -- at QB, RB and WR (10-20 snaps a game). As he has preached for the past year, he saw a huge need for improvement from the O-line and D-line and he feels like there will be a huge improvement this season from both units. DJ Fuller will have a huge impact this year. I am still impressed how Coach Dorrel speaks with conviction about this team. He feels like we will be much improved this year -- still no predictions on the number of wins or anything, simply that the fans will be able to see the difference. He was also very appreciative of the support he had gotten from the First Down Club.

A lot of that work begins today as reporting day is today for us. I'm excited to see all of the old and new faces getting ready to attack this season!

McCowboys
August 2nd, 2018, 01:17 PM
Sorry SFA, but this is funny!
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28346&stc=1

Daytripper
August 2nd, 2018, 06:37 PM
Sorry SFA, but this is funny!
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28346&stc=1

https://media1.giphy.com/media/NmrqUdwGXPOog/giphy.gif

Wildcat1997
August 3rd, 2018, 10:35 AM
ACU has lost assistant coach Derron Montgomery as he has accepted an analyst/assistant WR coach job with Georgia. It sucks to lose him especially since he's an alum but this is such a great opportunity for him that I find it hard to get upset.

SFA 93
August 4th, 2018, 08:47 PM
Good read from the Sawmill

https://sfasawmill.com/s/500/like-a-byrd-sfa-must-win-or-face-the-cruel-end-of-an-era

Outsider1
August 4th, 2018, 10:56 PM

https://sfasawmill.com/s/500/like-a-byrd-sfa-must-win-or-face-the-cruel-end-of-an-era

Indeed a good read with a feel for the heart behind the game.

Catatonic
August 5th, 2018, 05:12 AM

Pure gold.

Panther88
August 5th, 2018, 08:02 AM
W/ all the talent sfa has, on paper, why does it not translate into more Ws on the field of play? Has coaching the last 5-6 yrs been that atrocious coupled w/ player(s) underachieving?

TheRevSFA
August 5th, 2018, 09:01 AM
W/ all the talent sfa has, on paper, why does it not translate into more Ws on the field of play? Has coaching the last 5-6 yrs been that atrocious coupled w/ player(s) underachieving?

Yes

BEAR
August 5th, 2018, 10:12 AM

I quit reading Isaac's articles after I read this: Someday, I hope Lumberjacks fans recognize this easily discernible truth: the Conque family is one of us. If this is how Lumberjacks treat their own, maybe we're not all that we think we are.

After what Bear fans said about Conque, I just couldn't read anymore. xlolx

BEAR
August 6th, 2018, 07:49 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmSqYw2SDSU&t=45s

SFA 93
August 6th, 2018, 05:45 PM
Officially resigned today

https://sfajacks.com/news/2018/8/6/sfa-head-football-coach-clint-conque-resigns.aspx

SFA 93
August 6th, 2018, 05:48 PM
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20180806123135199748904&ref=rec&tm=&src=FCS

#4 Sam Houston State
#16 Central Arkansas
#17 McNeese State
#18 Nicholls

Others Receiving Votes
Stephen F. Austin (7)
Southeastern Louisiana (1)

This is going to be a fun season.

SFA 93
August 6th, 2018, 05:49 PM
https://twitter.com/SFA_Football/status/1026271979920191489

McCowboys
August 6th, 2018, 06:01 PM

https://sfajacks.com/news/2018/8/6/sfa-head-football-coach-clint-conque-resigns.aspx

He did the right thing. Time to move on.

McCowboys
August 6th, 2018, 06:07 PM
McNeese practiced on the NEW TURF in Cowboy Stadium for the first time today (Monday, August 6): https://mcneesesports.com/news/2018/8/6/football-cowboys-17th-in-preseason-poll-day-4-of-camp-on-new-turf.aspx

Players have said the turf is fast and they can make cuts without slipping. This is the same field turf used by the Dallas Cowboys and Houston Texans.

FormerPokeCenter
August 6th, 2018, 06:18 PM
Hallelujah! Finally....It'll be nice to see it under the lights without it looking like it's wet!

McCowboys
August 6th, 2018, 06:25 PM
Hallelujah! Finally....It'll be nice to see it under the lights without it looking like it's wet!

To me, it always looked like someone had sprinkled baby powder on it, and on TV, it just looked UGLY!

BEAR
August 6th, 2018, 07:45 PM

He chose to resign because he cares for the university. RIGHT. Both of them. Both times. He's the one that put both universities in those terrible situations.
Glad SFA can finally move past that cancer.

Daytripper
August 6th, 2018, 08:15 PM
He chose to resign because he cares for the university. RIGHT. Both of them. Both times. He's the one that put both universities in those terrible situations.
Glad SFA can finally move past that cancer.

He made a point of saying that he "arrived at the decision on my own." Which means he didn't.

McNeese72
August 7th, 2018, 08:31 AM
He made a point of saying that he "arrived at the decision on my own." Which means he didn't.

Ryan doesn't mess around! ;) Wish we had him.

Doc

TheRevSFA
August 7th, 2018, 10:46 AM
I'm glad Conque is gone. Maybe I'll give a **** about SFA this year.

BEAR
August 7th, 2018, 11:50 AM
Friday's practice: Some good signs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmSqYw2SDSU

SFA 93
August 7th, 2018, 01:10 PM
https://twitter.com/SFA_Football/status/1026873867556466688

SFA 93
August 7th, 2018, 01:16 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dj_3v-IU0AE4dNx.jpg

https://twitter.com/SFA_Football/status/1026843620387840001

https://twitter.com/SFA_Football/status/1026492821073743872

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dj7x1RYUYAEXkY2.jpg

BEAR
August 7th, 2018, 01:20 PM
https://twitter.com/ucasports/status/1026506165872717830

lionsrking2
August 7th, 2018, 02:56 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dj2EqOZUUAAi2wz.jpg
https://lionsports.net/images/2018/8/5/fb_fall_practice_5_web.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dj2IeSKVsAATGSA.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dj7XQiDVsAEz1qC.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dj7XQiRUwAAZQak.jpg

McCowboys
August 7th, 2018, 03:34 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dj2EqOZUUAAi2wz.jpg
https://lionsports.net/images/2018/8/5/fb_fall_practice_5_web.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dj2IeSKVsAATGSA.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dj7XQiDVsAEz1qC.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dj7XQiRUwAAZQak.jpg

Uh Oh! I see lots of uniform violations! Better get some longer jerseys for some of those big boys, Mr. Lion! xlolx

McCowboys
August 7th, 2018, 03:40 PM
McNeese Day 5 Practice Report. This article contains a link to the photo gallery of the day's action: https://mcneesesports.com/news/2018/8/7/football-physical-first-day-in-full-pads-for-cowboys.aspx

lionsrking2
August 7th, 2018, 05:22 PM
Uh Oh! I see lots of uniform violations! Better get some longer jerseys for some of those big boys, Mr. Lion! xlolx

That's why they call 'em practice jerseys. xeyebrowx

McCowboys
August 7th, 2018, 05:31 PM
That's why they call 'em practice jerseys. xeyebrowx

I know. They just wanted to get their bellies tan....

lionsrking2
August 7th, 2018, 05:43 PM
I know. They just wanted to get their bellies tan....

Maybe

Outsider1
August 7th, 2018, 08:03 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8Q8O7z4EMw

Outsider1
August 7th, 2018, 08:07 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw7n4hgWf7I

Outsider1
August 7th, 2018, 08:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmGC3agZKho

SFA 93
August 8th, 2018, 01:02 PM
https://twitter.com/SFA_Football/status/1027224540336742400

McCowboys
August 8th, 2018, 05:12 PM
https://twitter.com/SFA_Football/status/1027224540336742400

What's the word, Byrd?

I was pretty impressed with him at SLC Media Day. He almost inspired me enough to suit up and play for the Jacks!

SFA 93
August 8th, 2018, 05:44 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DkHHFjWU8AcHOXR.jpg:large

THE SFA QUARTERBACKS

QB:#12 Foster Sawyer 6-5; 225 (Sr.) **** #13 QB; #2 TX
G:16;ATT:186;CMP:105;CP%:.56%;YDS:1056;TD:7;INT:1; RTD:1
QB:#10 Jake Blumrick 6-2; 206 (Jr.)
G:11;ATT:303;CMP:171;CP%:.57.0%;YDS:1654;TD:8;INT: 7;R:95;YDS:151;TD:2
QB:#11 Josh Covey 6-1; 205 (Jr.)
G:1;ATT:0;CMP:0;CP%:.0%;YDS:0;TD:0;INT:0
QB:#18 Zach Truelove 6-3; 195 (R/Fr.)
G:0;ATT:0;CMP:0;CP%:.0%;YDS:0;TD:0;INT:0
QB:#16 Cam Arnold 6-1; 205 (Fr.) *** #68 QB; #5 PRO QB (Lone Star)
G:0;ATT:0;CMP:0;CP%:.0%;YDS:0;TD:0;INT:0

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DkA9AZ6VAAEenSD.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DkA9AZ6U8AAo06C.jpg

DFW HOYA
August 8th, 2018, 06:28 PM
A long road for Foster Sawyer...five years ago he chose TCU over Alabama and UCLA, now he's fighting for the two-deep at SFA.

Wish him well, a big pickup for the Jacks, but he left TCU a year too soon.

Daytripper
August 9th, 2018, 10:17 AM
What's the word, Byrd?

I was pretty impressed with him at SLC Media Day. He almost inspired me enough to suit up and play for the Jacks!

Maybe it's just me, but that font color hurts my eyes. Please stop.

McCowboys
August 9th, 2018, 11:06 AM
Maybe it's just me, but that font color hurts my eyes. Please stop.

That is pretty weird considering blue is one of your school's colors. Is this better? And, no, it's not Halloween!

TheRevSFA
August 9th, 2018, 12:06 PM
A long road for Foster Sawyer...five years ago he chose TCU over Alabama and UCLA, now he's fighting for the two-deep at SFA.

Wish him well, a big pickup for the Jacks, but he left TCU a year too soon.

It's not a fight. He will be the starter over Blumrick.

Outsider1
August 9th, 2018, 12:49 PM
Over-all our Fall camp seems to be going well. I wish we had more depth at QB, but we aren't specifically lacking for talent. Both sides of the line have been practicing with different rotations. Even the more seniority guys aren't promised any spots. They are fighting for spots, as well as learning how to work with every other player on their line. Skill positions have done very well. I think we might of had a slow start, but intensity has kept increasing ever since. They are being very physical and teachable. Our first Fall camp scrimmage is this Saturday. I hope to be able to watch some of it even though it isn't technically an open scrimmage.

Outsider1
August 9th, 2018, 12:50 PM
Besides, how could you have a bad day of hard hitting practice in the Texas Summer when the temperature is only 82 degrees???????

SFA 93
August 9th, 2018, 12:52 PM
SFA Review

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-2018-stephen-f-austin-preview-preseason-ajaj

LIONFAN07
August 9th, 2018, 02:02 PM
Looking forward to a good season. I had a lot of questions heading into this season. After getting out to practice I was pleasantly surprised. That doesn't mean we could come out and look bad and end up 4-7. Our early schedule is difficult. We start at UL Monroe then head to LSU. Weak Sunbelt teams like UL Monroe (as we saw last year playing UL Lafayette) are probably some of the most winnable FBS games you can find for FCS teams. With that being said they could beat us by 50.

UCA is where it starts so the pressure is there to win that game and get off to a good start start in conference. We are at home so that helps. Looking forward to another great Southland football season.

BEAR
August 9th, 2018, 02:05 PM
New Nike unis revealed. Looks good but also looks like some other teams I've seen on here before. Glad to have NIKE onboard!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRT43qOlrnA

BEAR
August 9th, 2018, 02:53 PM
Southland TV EARLY season schedule:

WEEK 1
Thursday, August 30
Southeastern La. at ULM, 7 pm, ESPN+
Northwestern State at Texas A&M, 7:30 pm, SEC Network

Saturday, September 1
McNeese at Northern Colorado, 3 pm, Pluto TV
Kentucky Christian at Lamar, 6 pm, ESPN3
Central Arkansas at Tulsa, 6 pm, ESPN3
Nicholls at Kansas, 6 pm, ESPN3
Southwest Baptist at Houston Baptist, 6 pm, Southland Digital Network
Stephen F. Austin at Miss. State, 6:30 pm, ESPNU
Abilene Christian at Baylor, 7 pm, FSN

WEEK 2
Saturday, September 8
Prairie View at Sam Houston State, 6 pm, ESPN+
Lamar at Texas Tech, 3 pm, FSN
Southeastern La. at LSU, 6 pm, ESPN2/ESPNU
Tarleton State at Stephen F. Austin, 6 pm, ESPN+
McNeese at Houston Baptist, 6 pm, Eleven Sports
Incarnate Word at North Texas, 6:30 pm, ESPN+
Nicholls at Tulane, 7 pm, ESPN3

WEEK 3
Saturday, September 15
North Dakota at Sam Houston State, 6 pm, KXMB/ESPN3
Nicholls at McNeese, 6 pm, Cox Sports TV
Abilene Christian at Houston Baptist, 6 pm, ESPN3
Northwestern State at Lamar, 6 pm, ESPN+
Central Arkansas at Southeastern La., 7 pm, ESPN+

WEEK 4
Saturday, September 22
Sam Houston State at Nicholls, 3 pm, ESPN+
McNeese at BYU, 5 pm, BYUtv/ESPN3
Abilene Christian at Stephen F. Austin, 6 pm, ESPN+
Southeastern La. at Lamar, 6 pm, ESPN3

http://southland.org/news/2018/8/9/football-southland-conference-announces-tv-selections-for-first-four-weeks.aspx

lionsrking2
August 9th, 2018, 03:16 PM
Looking forward to a good season. I had a lot of questions heading into this season. After getting out to practice I was pleasantly surprised. That doesn't mean we could come out and look bad and end up 4-7. Our early schedule is difficult. We start at UL Monroe then head to LSU. Weak Sunbelt teams like UL Monroe (as we saw last year playing UL Lafayette) are probably some of the most winnable FBS games you can find for FCS teams. With that being said they could beat us by 50.

UCA is where it starts so the pressure is there to win that game and get off to a good start start in conference. We are at home so that helps. Looking forward to another great Southland football season.

I'm excited about what I've seen so far through the first week and a half of camp. I really like our talent level, and to this point, it seems like the coaching transition is going smoothly on both sides of the ball.

McCowboys
August 9th, 2018, 04:25 PM
Southland TV EARLY season schedule:

WEEK 1
Thursday, August 30
Southeastern La. at ULM, 7 pm, ESPN+
Northwestern State at Texas A&M, 7:30 pm, SEC Network

Saturday, September 1
McNeese at Northern Colorado, 3 pm, Pluto TV
Kentucky Christian at Lamar, 6 pm, ESPN3
Central Arkansas at Tulsa, 6 pm, ESPN3
Nicholls at Kansas, 6 pm, ESPN3
Southwest Baptist at Houston Baptist, 6 pm, Southland Digital Network
Stephen F. Austin at Miss. State, 6:30 pm, ESPNU
Abilene Christian at Baylor, 7 pm, FSN

WEEK 2
Saturday, September 8
Prairie View at Sam Houston State, 6 pm, ESPN+
Lamar at Texas Tech, 3 pm, FSN
Southeastern La. at LSU, 6 pm, ESPN2/ESPNU
Tarleton State at Stephen F. Austin, 6 pm, ESPN+
McNeese at Houston Baptist, 6 pm, Eleven Sports
Incarnate Word at North Texas, 6:30 pm, ESPN+
Nicholls at Tulane, 7 pm, ESPN3

WEEK 3
Saturday, September 15
North Dakota at Sam Houston State, 6 pm, KXMB/ESPN3
Nicholls at McNeese, 6 pm, Cox Sports TV
Abilene Christian at Houston Baptist, 6 pm, ESPN3
Northwestern State at Lamar, 6 pm, ESPN+
Central Arkansas at Southeastern La., 7 pm, ESPN+

WEEK 4
Saturday, September 22
Sam Houston State at Nicholls, 3 pm, ESPN+
McNeese at BYU, 5 pm, BYUtv/ESPN3
Abilene Christian at Stephen F. Austin, 6 pm, ESPN+
Southeastern La. at Lamar, 6 pm, ESPN3

http://southland.org/news/2018/8/9/football-southland-conference-announces-tv-selections-for-first-four-weeks.aspx

You beat me to it, Bear. Looks like a real good schedule so far!

SFA 93
August 9th, 2018, 09:48 PM
Two more transfers for SFA

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/oklahoma-state-cowboys-dt-taaj-bakari-during-a-college-football-game-picture-id842081012
DT:#53 Taaj Bakari 6-3; 335 Mansfield, Texas (Mansfield Legacy/Oklahoma State) (Jr.) *** #43 DT; #104 TX
Offers from Oklahoma State, TCU, Colorado State, North Texas

Prior to SFA: Spent three seasons at Big 12 Conference mainstay Oklahoma State Appeared in 12 total games, including 11 as a sophomore in 2017 Played in two FBS bowl games, Oklahoma State's 38-8 rout of 11th-ranked Colorado in the 2016 Alamo Bowl and the Cowboys' 30-21 win over No. 22 Virginia Tech in the 2017 Camping World Bowl Registered five solo tackles, including three tackles for a loss of nine yards, during the 2017 season Had a fumble recovery in the 50-39 victory over 22nd-ranked West Virginia As a redshirt freshman assisted on a tackle for loss late in Oklahoma's 2016 Alamo Bowl triumph Utilized his redshirt year as a true freshman in 2015 Played for head coach Chris Melson at Mansfield Legacy High School Finished his final season with 65 total tackles, including 45 solo stops, five sacks, six tackles for loss and two forced fumbles As a junior, totaled 44 total tackles, 22 solo stops, nine tackles for loss, six sacks, and two forced fumbles A first-team all-district selection and the outstanding defensive lineman of the year in both 2013 and 2014 Named defensive MVP and team MVP at Mansfield Legacy An academic all-district selection and served on the student council Named "Man of Tomorrow" at Mansfield Legacy Born Aug. 29, 1997, in Irving, Texas Son of Tanya and Aalim Bakari Majoring in management information systems.

The second one SFA offered in 2017
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9gSn1Bj-p5Hv0Hg3px2k1Sgb8O7EB7F_NilV3jLQrF5QeGTVyug
DE:Caleb Sampson 6-4; 270 Covington, Louisiana (Northlake Christian/Missouri) (R/Fr.) *** #78 DT; #48 LA
Offers from SFA, Missouri, KSU, Southern Miss, Southern,Tulane, Ball State, interest from LSU, Texas Tech, Tennessee

Prior to SFA: Spent one season at SEC member Missouri ... Utilized his redshirt year as a true freshman in 2017 ... Large, physical defensive tackle prospect out of high school who developed into a force as a senior at Northlake Christian ... Has a soft-spoken demeanor but plays with an edge on the field ... Boasts an impressive, athletic skill set that teams with his size to make him very physically gifted ... Had 31 tackles in the trenches, including 29 of the solo variety, for the Wolverines as a senior in 2016 ... Also had 2.5 sacks on the season ... As a junior, turned in similar numbers, amassing 30 stops and 2.5 sacks with one interception ... Played for head coach Anthony Agresta ... Younger brother of Lumberjack junior defensive end Gary Sampson ... Majoring in Psychology.

BEAR
August 9th, 2018, 10:24 PM
SFA is the only FBS team in the FCS. Seriously. How many transfers is that now? 40?

SFA 93
August 10th, 2018, 06:52 AM
SFA has 104 players listed on the roster

SR:16
JR:29
SO:19
R/FR:16
FR:24

TRANSFERS (38)
FBS 15
FCS 2
DIV. III 1
NAIA 2
JUCO 18

If SFA had 3 more FBS OL men, they could start an all FBS offense

QB:#12 Foster Sawyer 6-5; 225 (Sr.) (TCU)
QB:#11 Josh Covey 6-1; 205 (Jr.) (Texas)

RB:#25 Jae’lon Oglesby 5-11; 175 (Jr.) (Memphis)
RB:#28 Thomas Hutchings 5-10; 205 (Jr.) (Boise State)

WR:#2 Frank Iheanacho 6-6; 225 (Sr.) (Texas A&M)
WR:#5 Terian Goree 6-1; 175 (Sr.) (North Texas)

OL:#71 Devonte Jones 6-3; 315 (Jr.) (Baylor)
OL:#78 Chett Munden 6-6; 305 (Jr.) (North Texas)

TE:#86 Donte Coleman 6-4; 245 (So.) (Fresno State)

WR:#8 Calvin Clater 6-3; 200 (R/Fr.) (Bowling Green)

K:#36 Storm Ruiz 5-10; 170 (Jr.) (Houston)

DE:#00 Caleb Sampson 6-4; 270 (R/Fr.) (Missouri)
DT:#94 Demetrion Amie 6-5; 268 (Sr.) (TCU)
DT:#53 Taaj Bakari 6-3; 335 (Jr.) (Oklahoma State)

S:#4 Chris James 6-0; 200 (Sr.) (Illinois)

Outsider1
August 10th, 2018, 08:37 AM
Places with an excessive amount of transfers worry me a little. It will definitely make it tougher in many respects. Still, if a team does their job well it shouldn't really matter. SFA will be tough this year for sure. I marked that we would beat them earlier because of my brand of purple kool aid. I have no doubts we could easily loose to them. They are still being ranked higher than us.

katss07
August 10th, 2018, 09:11 AM
I think I’ll be making the trip to Nicholls. This ESPN+ stuff sucks. That might be the biggest game of the year for Sam and it ain’t on TV. Good excuse to go though.

Outsider1
August 10th, 2018, 09:24 AM
I think the SHSU vs Nicholls game will definitely be worth it to see in person.

lionsrking2
August 10th, 2018, 09:32 AM
I think the SHSU vs Nicholls game will definitely be worth it to see in person.

There will be a number of games worth seeing in person in the Southland this year. The top half will be very competitive.

Outsider1
August 10th, 2018, 09:43 AM
There will be a number of games worth seeing in person in the Southland this year. The top half will be very competitive.

Completely agree. I think it will be a really good year for the SLC!! I really hope it can carry on into more progress in the post season.

BEAR
August 10th, 2018, 09:49 AM
Any upsets week 1?

SLU at ULM
NWST at Texas A&M
UCA at Tulsa
ACU at Baylor
IUW at New Mexico
McNeese at Northern Colorado
Nicholls at Kansas
Kentucky Christian at Lamar
Swouthwest Baptist at Houston Baptist
SFA at Mississippi State

lionsrking2
August 10th, 2018, 09:57 AM
Any upsets week 1?

SLU at ULM
NWST at Texas A&M
UCA at Tulsa
ACU at Baylor
IUW at New Mexico
McNeese at Northern Colorado
Nicholls at Kansas
Kentucky Christian at Lamar
Swouthwest Baptist at Houston Baptist
SFA at Mississippi State

If Kansas hasn't improved over the off-season, Nicholls will definitely have a chance. I think we have a chance at ULM. You guys have a chance at Tulsa. Don't see any others.

BEAR
August 10th, 2018, 11:21 AM
Here's my predictions:

SLU at ULM- SLU has a chance
NWST at Texas A&M- no chance
UCA at Tulsa- possible
ACU at Baylor tossup but fbs depth helps baylor
IUW at New Mexico - nope
McNeese at Northern Colorado- go get 'em Cowboys
Nicholls at Kansas- chance
Kentucky Christian at Lamar- no chance
Swouthwest Baptist at Houston Baptist no idea
SFA at Mississippi State -no chance

Catatonic
August 10th, 2018, 11:37 AM
Here's my predictions:

SLU at ULM- SLU has a chance
NWST at Texas A&M- no chance
UCA at Tulsa- possible
ACU at Baylor tossup but fbs depth helps baylor
IUW at New Mexico - nope
McNeese at Northern Colorado- go get 'em Cowboys
Nicholls at Kansas- chance
Kentucky Christian at Lamar- no chance
Swouthwest Baptist at Houston Baptist no idea
SFA at Mississippi State -no chance

Appreciate the vote of confidence in ACU. The betting line has Baylor by 37.5 points. I'd like to think it will be as close as your prediction.

I see UCA, SLU, and Nicholls with legit shots at knocking off a FBS team.

BEAR
August 10th, 2018, 11:53 AM
Appreciate the vote of confidence in ACU. The betting line has Baylor by 37.5 points. I'd like to think it will be as close as your prediction.

I see UCA, SLU, and Nicholls with legit shots at knocking off a FBS team.

I thought Baylor was in a mess with their coaches and staff. I mean they went 1-11 last year. Even if they go 6-6 this year, ACU can give them a run come third quarter. Then the depth of FBS takes over.

Sammy94
August 10th, 2018, 12:52 PM
Here's my predictions: All home teams win

Outsider1
August 10th, 2018, 12:54 PM
Agree with most of the possible upset predictions given. I just hope ACU gives Baylor a run for their money and we walk away with a respectable game. We know if everything lines up just right we could pull an upset, but my mind keeps saying the skill and depth both will be too much at the end of the day. Baylor has had some attrition the last 3 weeks, but they have enough depth it doesn't affect them as much as it would us. We are working hard and I know we will be ready for a battle regardless. Baylor won't be the same team as last year.

Daytripper
August 10th, 2018, 12:54 PM

Yep.

Catatonic
August 10th, 2018, 01:52 PM

mcNeese beats Northern Colorado up in Greeley.

lionsrking2
August 10th, 2018, 02:14 PM
mcNeese beats Northern Colorado up in Greeley.

I think they will also, but don't underestimate the home field advantage, at high altitude. We played in Greeley in 2005 and were grasping for air by halftime. Same thing when we played at Southern Utah two years ago.

Outsider1
August 10th, 2018, 03:58 PM
I think they will also, but don't underestimate the home field advantage, at high altitude. We played in Greeley in 2005 and were grasping for air by halftime. Same thing when we played at Southern Utah two years ago.

We were lucky enough to play them in Abilene in 2016, but they still squeaked by us: 55-52.

Team
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
F

Northern Colo.

Abilene Christian

Catatonic
August 10th, 2018, 04:18 PM

Oh, I get the altitude issue. We have played a bunch of high altitude games since 2015– Northern Colorado in Greeley, Air Force in Colorado Springs, New Mexico in Albuquerque and Colorado State in Ft Collins.

I still think McNeese will get by Northern Colorado but I agree the altitude will take a toll.

katss07
August 10th, 2018, 04:30 PM
All home teams, save SLU and McNeese. ULM is a garbage program. McNeese should handle Northern Colorado despite the game being played at altitude.

McCowboys
August 10th, 2018, 07:07 PM
STATS SLC Preview: http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20180810120418110462604

Outsider1
August 10th, 2018, 09:55 PM
Oh, I get the altitude issue. We have played a bunch of high altitude games since 2015– Northern Colorado in Greeley, Air Force in Colorado Springs, New Mexico in Albuquerque and Colorado State in Ft Collins.

I still think McNeese will get by Northern Colorado but I agree the altitude will take a toll.

Oops, forgot about the end of 2015 season. I agree, that unless Northern Colorado has made big strides, McNeese should be able to win it.

SFA 93
August 11th, 2018, 09:10 AM
First scrimmage today in Nac

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DkUlW09U0AAZ72g.jpg

BEAR
August 11th, 2018, 09:18 AM
First scrimmage happening right now! Full speed and hard hitting! I'll post the video later.

SFA 93
August 11th, 2018, 10:31 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DkU8xAYVAAAi0nH.jpg
RB:#25 Jae’lon Oglesby 5-11; 185 (Jr.)

Outsider1
August 11th, 2018, 11:10 AM
Wish I was there watching our first scrimmage...

https://twitter.com/i/status/1028274229974913025

Outsider1
August 11th, 2018, 11:19 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28427&stc=1

lionsrking2
August 11th, 2018, 11:42 AM
Southeastern Louisiana had more of a combination practice/situational scrimmage this morning, with officials ... no stats were kept or media video allowed, but there was good stuff on both sides of the ball, with some big plays by each side ... still need some polishing but I like where we are at this point with just under three weeks to go until the opener at UL-Monroe ... we have a good core of returning veterans, along with several off-season FBS transfers who are making big impacts so far ... also a few younger redshirt freshmen and sophomores are coming into their own ... this has a chance to be a good football team.

SFA 93
August 11th, 2018, 01:14 PM
Scrimmage

Jamall Shaw got a 1 yard TD run
Jae'Lon Oglesby 19 yard TD run
Jack Blumrick 31 yard TD pass to Frank Iheanacho

Defense playing with a lot of energy and speed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ynu9G78C4aU&feature=youtu.be

Rob Butler
August 11th, 2018, 04:48 PM
I look for Lamar to be better this year, although they're still very young. Of course I'm biased because I'm a Lamar alum, but I look for Lamar to win four or five games. I also think that SFA at Mississippi State could be interesting but who knows now, due to the recent resignation by Conque.

A really crazy thing about the SLC: For so long, there were some long-standing coaches at so many programs. Now, though he is only in his third year, Coach Guidry is the second longest tenured coach in the SLC behind only Keeler at SHSU (if I am not mistaken). And though he is only in his third year, the McNeese coaching staff is pretty much intact for all of these three years.

SLU always gives McNeese fits. McNeese has to go to SLU this year. Maybe the toughest conference road game for the Cowboys? What difference(s) will it be with a new coach for the Lions? The same could be said about the Demons. Not much luck in the victory column, but so many games were nailbiters. What will the new coaching staff bring to the table?

What have the second year coaches in the conference learned? What will be different about their teams?

McNeese does get SFA, Nicholls, and UCA at home. SFA and McNeese think the other's field is a good place to play as the visiting team has won in the last six matchups. UCA and McNeese have won on each other's field as well. Due to rotation, McNeese loses out on a chance to meet one of the best in the country and get a boost in its RPI by not facing the Bearkats.

UCA has so many big conference games on the road after having the tough(est) matchups at home last year.

BEAR
August 11th, 2018, 05:07 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s_JY8DGISGk

Sammy94
August 11th, 2018, 06:43 PM
Is it just me?? I’m already ready for Oct when SFA fans disappear to the basketball thread for good.

SFA 93
August 11th, 2018, 07:05 PM
https://twitter.com/norwoodwonder24/status/1028427359748157440?s=21

If the season turns out to be a total disaster, I’m confident our new AD, will bring a great head coach in to make something happen.

His Texas A&M Commerce and Austin Peay hires were home runs.

BEAR
August 11th, 2018, 07:13 PM
Is it just me?? I’m already ready for Oct when SFA fans disappear to the basketball thread for good.

They may well be 3-1 come Sept. 29th. But McNeese, SHSU, and UCA are next on their schedule. May be over at that point. Get by them then they can float to the playoffs.

Sammy94
August 11th, 2018, 07:55 PM
They may well be 3-1 come Sept. 29th. But McNeese, SHSU, and UCA are next on their schedule. May be over at that point. Get by them then they can float to the playoffs.

If they are not 3-1 then the typical season will happen yet again. I guess they are excited but how many times do I need to see their roster, player interviews, etc before the season kicks off? I’d rather see McNeese sandbagging.

BEAR
August 11th, 2018, 08:42 PM
If we go by the predicted order of finish according to the SLC then I think the games of the week are the following. They can obviously change as teams lose games and the race to the playoffs begins. Some pics are just games I'm interested in. xlolx

Week 1- SLU at ULM.
Week 2- Grambling at NWST
Week 3- Nicholls at McNeese
Week 4- Sam at Nicholls
Week 5- UCA at Sam
Week 6- Sam at SFA (neutral field)
Week 7- UCA at SFA
Week 8- ACU at SLU
Week 9- SLU at Sam
Week 10- McNeese at SLU
Week 11- SFA at Nicholls
Weeek 12- SLU at Nicholls

SFA 93
August 11th, 2018, 09:00 PM
Ok I’ll shut up.

lionsrking2
August 11th, 2018, 09:13 PM
Ok I’ll shut up.

You're fine. That's what the thread is for. Maybe cut back on how often you post the roster. xthumbsupx

McNeese72
August 11th, 2018, 10:02 PM
McNeese first scrimmage report:

The defense kicked ass. Either our defense is really really good or our offense is really really bad.

The jury is still out. Probably won't know for sure until we start playing other people.

That is all,
Doc

Sammy94
August 11th, 2018, 10:04 PM
I wouldn’t be a Bearkat if I wasn’t dishing it out to a Lumberjack. It’s all good maybe we will call you Augustists since you guys aren’t playing football in December anyway. There is no doubt about the hype at this time.

Sammy94
August 11th, 2018, 10:06 PM

The defense kicked ass. Either our defense is really really good or our offense is really really bad.

The jury is still out. Probably won't know for sure until we start playing other people.

That is all,
Doc

Now this is good fall thread stuff right here

BEAR
August 11th, 2018, 10:32 PM

That is all,
Doc

Isnt that the way it always is during the fall? Defense tends to have the advantage unless you have a solid offense that is returning from last year. I see that at UCA this year too but we have basically a new offense across the board minus the RBs.

Wildcat1997
August 11th, 2018, 11:04 PM
Some notes from our scrimmage: QB Sema'j Davis looked fantastic, scoring 4 TDs and honestly looking better than our presumed starter Luke Anthony. Our TEs made some really nice plays, they should be a big part of our offense this season. RB Tyrese White, who was a late signee nobody really knew anything about was very impressive as well. The defense made some nice plays as well. All in all it was good and it's making me more and more excited for the season to start up.

lionsrking2
August 11th, 2018, 11:06 PM
Isnt that the way it always is during the fall? Defense tends to have the advantage unless you have a solid offense that is returning from last year. I see that at UCA this year too but we have basically a new offense across the board minus the RBs.

It's pretty common for defenses (especially those with experience) to dominate offenses during the first scrimmage, because most programs have yet to install their entire offensive playbook and defenses are seeing the same formations and route combinations everyday in practice, plus they know the snap counts. If your offense dominates your defense in the first scrimmage, you're likely going to have problems stopping people.

McCowboys
August 12th, 2018, 06:29 AM

That is all,
Doc

Yes, all we know at this point is we have the best uniforms in the conference, a kick-ass new turf that pops, and a newly cleaned, dazzling stadium. When does basketball season start???

Katfan
August 12th, 2018, 07:31 AM
It's pretty common for defenses (especially those with experience) to dominate offenses during the first scrimmage, because most programs have yet to install their entire offensive playbook and defenses are seeing the same formations and route combinations everyday in practice, plus they know the snap counts. If your offense dominates your defense in the first scrimmage, you're likely going to have problems stopping people.
I can relate to that!

McNeese72
August 12th, 2018, 07:38 AM
Yes, all we know at this point is we have the best uniforms in the conference, a kick-ass new turf that pops, and a newly cleaned, dazzling stadium. When does basketball season start???

That leads to the follow up question which is popular here right now. Will the new HHP building be finished in time for the first games of basketball season? And the next question, if not, where will they play.

I only know, if they can play as half as good as the new men's coach talks, it will be interesting.

Doc

McNeese75
August 12th, 2018, 09:57 AM

xrolleyesx Hummmm Post 165 from Wildcat1997?????? (xlolx Just jackin with ya)

katss07
August 12th, 2018, 10:26 AM
If Sam faces McNeese come playoff time, and there is a chance they will with regionalization, I will be very scared of that defense.

Panther88
August 12th, 2018, 11:55 AM
Ok I’ll shut up.

Don't. I enjoy reading about the physical talent sfa has. On paper, sfa arguably has the most prestigious T&G student-athletes @ the fcs level (considering the # of tx recruits). SFA is an fbs team cloaked in fcs garb, imho, kinda' sorta' like this one team w/ nd in their name. hmmmmmmmmmmmm....

Catatonic
August 12th, 2018, 12:52 PM
xrolleyesx Hummmm Post 165 from Wildcat1997?????? (xlolx Just jackin with ya)

Sema’j was working against the number 2 D, so there’s that

Daytripper
August 13th, 2018, 02:08 PM
If Sam faces McNeese come playoff time, and there is a chance they will with regionalization, I will be very scared of that defense.

I'm more worried about our defense than McNeese's....

Katfan
August 13th, 2018, 02:37 PM
This!

McNeese75
August 13th, 2018, 02:44 PM

Nawwww just plug in the next UT transfer or PJ protege and you are good to go.

katss07
August 13th, 2018, 03:46 PM
Ok I’ll shut up.
Please don’t shut up. You are a contributor. Thats what this thread is for. Do your thing!

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully there is a defensive gameplan to some degree this year.

Sammy94
August 13th, 2018, 03:54 PM

McNeese doesn't win playoff games, or haven't in this decade. I'm not scared

Katfan
August 13th, 2018, 04:49 PM
Nawwww just plug in the next UT transfer or PJ protege and you are good to go.
As bad as our Defense has been with PJ, I’m scared to see it without him. Hope I’m worried about nothing!

BEAR
August 13th, 2018, 05:21 PM
As bad as our Defense has been with PJ, I’m scared to see it without him. Hope I’m worried about nothing!

Live got to watch some fall camp videos soon. I gotta see which SLC coaches say their defense is the best they've ever had at that school. xlolx Anything for ticket sales! xlolx

Katfan
August 13th, 2018, 05:39 PM
Live got to watch some fall camp videos soon. I gotta see which SLC coaches say their defense is the best they've ever had at that school. xlolx Anything for ticket sales! xlolx
That’s a pretty low bar for Keeler. He talks about being more physical, he did go find a couple juco DTs and I noticed one of our lbs is listed at 255, I don’t remember him being that big.

BEAR
August 13th, 2018, 06:50 PM
Speaking of tickets....Just saw a tv commercial for game/season tickets on a local channel. xcoffeex 3 weeks before the first home game. xsmhx

Really good commercial. Too bad it got out so late. Typical UCA though. Although I can't remember seeing one in forever...so there's that I guess.

Outsider1
August 14th, 2018, 09:26 AM
Things for us have gone kind of quiet since Saturday from the hype interviews and videos we have been seeing since the opening of Fall camp. We have received pretty good reports up through then. We are 3 deep at some positions and the level of play has increased. We are still waiting to see how things hold out at others, like our OL, even though there has been big improvements made. That is a situation that we just won't know until deep into the season. A couple of our freshmen walk-ons have impressed the coaches and some of our fans a lot. I love to see kids like this with such tuff work ethics to shine this early. They could see some play time with the new RS rule. Most of us are uncertain how our kicking game will really do, along with special teams in general. I think our coaches are working VERY hard in these areas. It really wouldn't surprise me much if chatter continues to be lower leading up to our opening game. I know the coaches, especially Dorrel, don't want the players distracted. Our kickers are young, so I think they will get there. My biggest issue is that our punt coverage improves. OR, better yet, our 3rd down conversion improves even more :)

BEAR
August 14th, 2018, 12:32 PM
That’s a pretty low bar for Keeler. He talks about being more physical, he did go find a couple juco DTs and I noticed one of our lbs is listed at 255, I don’t remember him being that big.

Found my first video of possibly and working on the "best defense in conference or nation"................via.................UCA! xlolx

https://twitter.com/Ben_CreightonTV/status/1029197389930881024

lionsrking2
August 14th, 2018, 01:19 PM
Found my first video of possibly and working on the "best defense in conference or nation"................via.................UCA! xlolx

https://twitter.com/Ben_CreightonTV/status/1029197389930881024

I will go on record as saying the Lions will not have the best defense in the conference, or nation. Solid? Yeah. xthumbsupx

Catatonic
August 14th, 2018, 01:24 PM
The day a team from the Southland has the best D in the nation is the day we finally win a championship.

BEAR
August 14th, 2018, 02:11 PM
Something new for UCA: On field corporate tailgate spots. xconfusedx

New to The Stripes this season will be our Corporate Partner On-Field Suites! This exciting addition to our game day experience includes seating for 15, private cable & wifi provided by Conway Corporation (https://www.facebook.com/ConwayCorp/?fref=mentions), televisions provided by DeBoard Electronics (https://www.facebook.com/DeBoards/?fref=mentions), and custom tables provided by Cousins' Office Furniture of Conway (https://www.facebook.com/TheOutletStoreConway/?fref=mentions).
If you are a business in Central Arkansas and want to host your employees or clients in one of these suites call 501-450-3219 to reserve yours today.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28453&stc=1

Outsider1
August 14th, 2018, 02:14 PM
I haven't been to a game at UCA yet. Is there room on the sidelines (or anywhere around the field) for these? I assume they will be there throughout the game?

BEAR
August 14th, 2018, 02:35 PM
Plenty of room at the end zones. IF they put them toward the Farris center, which is on the right side of this picture, then that will block the views of the tailgaters who are too cheap to come inside.

http://www.ucasports.com/common/controls/image_handler.aspx?thumb_prefix=medium&image_path=/images/2011/9/12/_MG_0536.jpg

McNeese72
August 14th, 2018, 02:36 PM
The day a team from the Southland has the best D in the nation is the day we finally win a championship.

Well, McNeese was 5th in the nation in total defense last season and all it got us was a 9-2 record and no playoffs. :(

Of course, being 17th in pass efficiency defense didn't help our cause.

Doc

Katfan
August 14th, 2018, 02:45 PM
Well I’m pretty sure SHSU won’t have the best Defense in the country. Man that would be nice,jeez top 25 would be nice.

McNeese75
August 14th, 2018, 02:54 PM
Well I’m pretty sure SHSU won’t have the best Defense in the country. Man that would be nice,jeez top 25 would be nice.

Well, none of us will know if we have the best until the playoffs and the D gets tested by the salty ones.

lionsrking2
August 14th, 2018, 03:06 PM
Well, McNeese was 5th in the nation in total defense last season and all it got us was a 9-2 record and no playoffs. :(

Of course, being 17th in pass efficiency defense didn't help our cause.

Doc

We had the 7th ranked D in 2014, including lowest yards per play allowed, and lost in the first round. Didnt help that our QB played with torn ligaments in his foot and throwing thumb, but we lost, nonetheless.

Outsider1
August 14th, 2018, 03:18 PM
Plenty of room at the end zones. IF they put them toward the Farris center, which is on the right side of this picture, then that will block the views of the tailgaters who are too cheap to come inside.

I figured endzone would be the most likely place. To me, it gives you a good close up feel, but takes away from actual good over-all view of the game. Still the idea itself is innovative and out of the box. My favorite example of this was the in-ground pool, patio and barbeque that used to be at the AZ Diamonbacks stadium (back of the outfield). I don't remember if it is there anymore.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28454&stc=1

Outsider1
August 14th, 2018, 03:31 PM
Let's see if ACU betters a top 75 defensive ranking, with an offense better than 85. Until we can do better than BOTH of those I don't even think that playoff talk is reasonable. Can we reach those goals by next year??? Outside of SHSU and UCA last year, McNeese was like 21 & 47 and Nicholls was like 53 & 57. Of course this was FCS Computer rankings, but gives perspective. Even SFA was 74 & 83 last year. I am curious where all of us end up falling by December... Sorry Bearkats, but you were 78 & 2 on the same poll.

Catatonic
August 14th, 2018, 03:40 PM
Well, none of us will know if we have the best until the playoffs and the D gets tested by the salty ones.

this

BEAR
August 14th, 2018, 03:55 PM
I figured endzone would be the most likely place. To me, it gives you a good close up feel, but takes away from actual good over-all view of the game. Still the idea itself is innovative and out of the box. My favorite example of this was the in-ground pool, patio and barbeque that used to be at the AZ Diamonbacks stadium (back of the outfield). I don't remember if it is there anymore.

Man that looks good in the summer in Arkansas! Texas and Louisiana too!

My best idea is about the beginning of November how about we put a whole bunch of deer penned up in the end zone area so all these disappearing hunters come out to watch a game?!
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/AQeB2TlhAmg/maxresdefault.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

My best idea is about the beginning of November how about we put a whole bunch of deer penned up in the end zone area so all these disappearing hunters come out to watch a game?!

McNeese72
August 14th, 2018, 03:58 PM

It is similar to preseason fall workouts. No matter what kind of hype is being put out, none of us knows how good our team is until we start playing other people.

Doc

McNeese72
August 14th, 2018, 04:01 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Geeeze, if we did that down here, we'd have some of those Cajuns trying to sneak rifles into the stadium. ;)

Outsider1
August 14th, 2018, 04:19 PM

- - - Updated - - -

LOL...... xbowx

Outsider1
August 14th, 2018, 04:20 PM
Geeeze, if we did that down here, we'd have some of those Cajuns trying to sneak rifles into the stadium. ;)

Texas wouldn't be any different ;)

BEAR
August 14th, 2018, 04:27 PM

At least they'd show up. Can't get them to do that here even hosting a playoff game. Heck even our state SEC team can't fill a stadium in November. xlolx

Katfan
August 14th, 2018, 04:35 PM
Let's see if ACU betters a top 75 defensive ranking, with an offense better than 85. Until we can do better than BOTH of those I don't even think that playoff talk is reasonable. Can we reach those goals by next year??? Outside of SHSU and UCA last year, McNeese was like 21 & 47 and Nicholls was like 53 & 57. Of course this was FCS Computer rankings, but gives perspective. Even SFA was 74 & 83 last year. I am curious where all of us end up falling by December... Sorry Bearkats, but you were 78 & 2 on the same poll.
We know where we stand!

Outsider1
August 14th, 2018, 04:42 PM
We know where we stand!

How much of a move up do you think your defense will be? If your offense has indeed stayed near the same level and your defense cracked the top 50 I think you would turn some heads.

McCowboys
August 14th, 2018, 07:12 PM
Texas wouldn't be any different ;)

Outsider1, your profile picture confuses me. The flag shows "UA" -- maybe the "C" is there, but it doesn't show up well -- and I see it is one of the "purple" schools, but because of the letters that I see, I always think the post is coming from a UCA fan -- and when I read the post, I have to check under the profile to make sure if its a Wildcat or a Bear posting.

Wildcat1997
August 14th, 2018, 07:51 PM
Former Memphis DB Quindon Lewis has transferred to ACU. He redshirted last season there and will have 4 years left. https://acusports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=7464

Outsider1
August 14th, 2018, 09:23 PM
Outsider1, your profile picture confuses me. The flag shows "UA" -- maybe the "C" is there, but it doesn't show up well -- and I see it is one of the "purple" schools, but because of the letters that I see, I always think the post is coming from a UCA fan -- and when I read the post, I have to check under the profile to make sure if its a Wildcat or a Bear posting.

I getcha on that one. I thought the same thing a little, but loved the team running onto the field with Sitton Tower in the background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViymthlkXbo

McCowboys
August 15th, 2018, 05:37 AM
I getcha on that one. I thought the same thing a little, but loved the team running onto the field with Sitton Tower in the background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViymthlkXbo

Maybe if I were dyslexic it wouldn't be so confusing. I figured there was a reason for your choosing it.

McCowboys
August 15th, 2018, 05:39 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JiA6FEcLiw FBGP's FCS Kickoff 2018 Southland Conference Preview - 2019 NFL Draft Watch List

Outsider1
August 15th, 2018, 08:08 AM
Maybe if I were dyslexic it wouldn't be so confusing. I figured there was a reason for your choosing it.

It doesn't help that from that side, looking at the flag, the U is before the A. I am guessing the ACU is only printed on the opposite side.

McCowboys
August 15th, 2018, 09:18 AM
It doesn't help that from that side, looking at the flag, the U is before the A. I am guessing the ACU is only printed on the opposite side.

Obviously a Communist plot! A one-sided flag that promotes conference rival UCA....

BEAR
August 15th, 2018, 09:24 AM
Alright...let's hear some injury updates. (No, I don't want players injured, I just want to hear if they ARE injured).

I only saw one on UCA's roster that was injured and he had his arm in a sling. I'm not even sure if this is him because in practice they change up player numbers.

90 A'Javious Brown- 6'2" 320 DL Sophmore- Arm injury?

Any injuries on your team?

Wildcat1997
August 15th, 2018, 09:34 AM
Alright...let's hear some injury updates. (No, I don't want players injured, I just want to hear if they ARE injured).

I only saw one on UCA's roster that was injured and he had his arm in a sling. I'm not even sure if this is him because in practice they change up player numbers.

90 A'Javious Brown- 6'2" 320 DL Sophmore- Arm injury?

Any injuries on your team?We've had one player go down with a serious injury, DE Brian Miller tore his ACL during the spring game back in April. We have others with various nicks here and there.

Daytripper
August 15th, 2018, 02:40 PM
Defensive Back preview --- 1/9 position previews.

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=19900&ATCLID=211768271

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics33/800/PT/PTQNBHZBWZZPHUP.20180815184247.png

Outsider1
August 15th, 2018, 03:58 PM
Obviously a Communist plot! A one-sided flag that promotes conference rival UCA....

LOL...... nah, but the starship federation got all us purple schools together to see what plans we could come up with to mess with everyone else. The galaxy was getting too boring xsmiley_wix

McCowboys
August 15th, 2018, 05:43 PM
LOL...... nah, but the starship federation got all us purple schools together to see what plans we could come up with to mess with everyone else. The galaxy was getting too boring xsmiley_wix

In that case, from here on out, you are now officially a UCA Bears fan in my galaxy book! You know what they say, "All those purple schools look alike."

Outsider1
August 15th, 2018, 05:51 PM
In that case, from here on out, you are now officially a UCA Bears fan in my galaxy book! You know what they say, "All those purple schools look alike."

Well crap, there goes the neighborhood, but that won't last long. I'll get kicked out of there pretty quick as well... xcoffeex

BEAR
August 16th, 2018, 12:18 PM
First day of classes is Aug. 23rd...looks like some BEARS are eager to start already!

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28471&stc=1

Conway Police Department (https://www.facebook.com/conwaypd/?hc_ref=ARQ5YIHwM1rqvzYckEfyG8j97IvncO30VK39mDBkgG Ud9g1Tqpz_ff5YbQqWUvKPOVI) is https://static.xx.fbcdn.net/rsrc.php/v3/yK/r/F5OqdKdHDwu.pngfeeling accomplished.Like Page3 hrs (https://www.facebook.com/conwaypd/posts/10156597428514320) ·

It’s Sgt. Smith here to to tell you about one encounter we had on patrol last night! Officers from B Team responded to a call of a baby bear being sighted on Hillman Street near South Davis Street. We arrived and located the bear, except it wasn’t a baby...it was a full grown male Black Bear (which is apparently called a “he-bear” or “boar”...no kidding)! The bear climbed a tree and refused to come down even after officers had moved away. Arkansas Game and Fish Officers Matt Mourot and Rick Darter responded to assist. They were able to tranquilize the bear and safely get it out of the tree. The bear was then taken to a secluded, wooded area in Faulkner County where it was released. The bear awoke from his nap and wandered off to explore his safe, new home away from the dangers of the city. CPD wishes to thank officers from the AG&F, officers from UCA PD, officers from the Conway Animal Welfare Unit, and the firefighters of Conway FD for their help in safely relocating the bear. #beartale (https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/beartale?source=feed_text)#groupeffort (https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/groupeffort?source=feed_text) #safehaven (https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/safehaven?source=feed_text)

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28472&stc=1

That is like a slow 4 minute walk from campus! xlolxxlolx

BEAR
August 16th, 2018, 12:42 PM
A little SLC recent history for discussion.

How each team ended up in conference going back to 2012 (as far as the SLC website showed standings in football.

T= tied for position
N/A= not applicable

TEAM

UCA
T2
T2
T3
T1

SHSU
T2
T1
T3
T1

McNeese
T3
T4
T3
T3

Nicholls
T3
T4
T5

SLU
T5
T1

NWST
T5
T4
T3

SFA
T5
T4
T2
T3

ACU
T5
T3
N/A
N/A

IUW
T7
N/A
N/A

Lamar
T7
T4
T2

HBU
N/A
N/A

Outsider1
August 16th, 2018, 03:05 PM
Interesting that all three of us newcomers have done worse the last 3 years than when we first moved up. We have begun to turn that around but haven't fully yet...

BEAR
August 16th, 2018, 03:53 PM
Interesting that all three of us newcomers have done worse the last 3 years than when we first moved up. We have begun to turn that around but haven't fully yet...

It's called that first year hype. UCA went through it in the mid 2000s. We had the best record in the conference in 2008 but ineligible for anything due to our transition period ending in 2010. But it was fun to experience it anyway. ACU will be fine. You've got a new stadium renovation, new coach, more schollys, and some good hype.

Outsider1
August 16th, 2018, 04:15 PM
That is kinda what I wondered...some type of hype bump... We will get there for sure, plus have our up and down seasons like everyone else. The biggest thing I hate about this year is playing FBS, then DII the first two games. So, I don't feel like we will REALLY have a good sense of our progress until conference starts in week three. Even if we had another FCS OOC opponent, I think I could gauge better when the season starts. That is, unless we are ALL surprised and beat Baylor... Last year we opened with two so so FBS programs and played them fairly decently and I think it gave me a false sense of progress that quickly waned as the season progressed.

lionsrking2
August 16th, 2018, 04:16 PM
It's called that first year hype. UCA went through it in the mid 2000s. We had the best record in the conference in 2008 but ineligible for anything due to our transition period ending in 2010. But it was fun to experience it anyway. ACU will be fine. You've got a new stadium renovation, new coach, more schollys, and some good hype.

At least partially, it's called the adjustment from D-II transfer and eligibility rules, to D-I transfer and eligibility rules.

BEAR
August 16th, 2018, 05:03 PM
At least partially, it's called the adjustment from D-II transfer and eligibility rules, to D-I transfer and eligibility rules.

Isn't it easier to transfer to DII than it is DI? I think openings in fcs are easier for a kid transferring from FBS to a lower division to mentally handle. Hey I'm still playing DI ball!

Outsider1
August 16th, 2018, 08:19 PM
I would think moving up or down both come with different challenges. I think the moving up realities set in after the first year excitement. The DI expectations really begin to set in: grades, mentality, speed, pressure, etc... I know for us these were at least partially true. The coaching change added another layer to that. I think it does take a different toughness, as well as having to deal with more competition.

BEAR
August 17th, 2018, 07:56 AM
When do we want to start the Week 1: SLC Pick 'em?

Outsider1
August 17th, 2018, 08:17 AM
When do we want to start the Week 1: SLC Pick 'em?

Why wait?

BEAR
August 17th, 2018, 08:20 AM
Why wait?

xlolx I just figured it was still 2 weeks before the first SLC game...but man I'm READY! xlolx

Outsider1
August 17th, 2018, 08:41 AM
LOL, I think we are all ready to get the season going by this time :)

Catatonic
August 17th, 2018, 08:44 AM
xlolx I just figured it was still 2 weeks before the first SLC game...but man I'm READY! xlolx

There are only 3 SLC teams favored to win the first week— Houston Baptist, Lamar, and McNeese. The rest of us are a bunch of losers. I hope Miss State is writing SFA a big check in exchange for the 46 point beat down they are supposed to receive.

lionsrking2
August 17th, 2018, 09:52 AM
Isn't it easier to transfer to DII than it is DI? I think openings in fcs are easier for a kid transferring from FBS to a lower division to mentally handle. Hey I'm still playing DI ball!

Yes, that was my point. It is also easier to gain initial eligibility at a D-II out of high school. We've lost a number of good players over the years to D-II because they didn't qualify at a D-I (two signees this year in fact). More so with JC and FBS transfers, but occasionally, you will get a talented high school player who doesn't have the right core courses, who doesn't want to go to a JC. Transitioning schools may still have a few of those kids on their rosters for the first year or two of transition.

Outsider1
August 17th, 2018, 10:35 AM
Yes, that was my point. It is also easier to gain initial eligibility at a D-II out of high school. We've lost a number of good players over the years to D-II because they didn't qualify at a D-I (two signees this year in fact). More so with JC and FBS transfers, but occasionally, you will get a talented high school player who doesn't have the right core courses, who doesn't want to go to a JC. Transitioning schools may still have a few of those kids on their rosters for the first year or two of transition.

Good point

Outsider1
August 17th, 2018, 10:43 AM
There are only 3 SLC teams favored to win the first week— Houston Baptist, Lamar, and McNeese. The rest of us are a bunch of losers. I hope Miss State is writing SFA a big check in exchange for the 46 point beat down they are supposed to receive.

Yeah just still needing something to do :)

Sammy94
August 17th, 2018, 03:31 PM
A late transfer from Penn State.

https://247sports.com/player/brailyn-franklin-80689

Outsider1
August 18th, 2018, 09:46 PM
We had a nice practice scrimmage this evening. It is good to watch the teams playing and can't wait for the season to start. My feeling though is this will be a season of some tough losses even though we end up better than 2-9. Our defenses have been the ones that have still progressed further than our offenses. Even though our running back and receiver corps are deeper. They have flashes of brilliance, but then I smacked my head a couple of times. The 2nd team ended up doing better against one another. I am actually more excited watching Sema J' than I am Luke. I think we have a lot more in our arsonal as far as players and plays both. We just have to see how they fare. I am scared for the Baylor game. Come conference play...I guess that is why they call it any given Saturday...

Catatonic
August 19th, 2018, 07:34 AM
To the point made earlier in this thread that in fall camp the defense usually dominates early on and the offense catches up as they get their timing down: We are moving in the opposite direction. In ACU’s first scrimmage, the offense made some nice long scoring plays. In Yesterday’s second scrimmage the defense dominated. Just part of what we refer to as “The ACU Difference.” xnodx

SFA 93
August 19th, 2018, 10:36 AM
Former SFA Lumberjack DE:#57 John Franklin-Myers with his NFL debut last night with the Rams

(https://twitter.com/JB_Long/status/1030900318769373184)https://twitter.com/JB_Long/status/1030900318769373184https://twitter.com/JB_Long/status/1030900318769373184

https://twitter.com/codycorley/status/1031169453529210880

lionsrking2
August 19th, 2018, 11:18 AM
To the point made earlier in this thread that in fall camp the defense usually dominates early on and the offense catches up as they get their timing down: We are moving in the opposite direction. In ACU’s first scrimmage, the offense made some nice long scoring plays. In Yesterday’s second scrimmage the defense dominated. Just part of what we refer to as “The ACU Difference.” xnodx

The strength of our team will be on offense, but the defense has been better than anticipated, especially the last few practices. That said, often times late in camp, while offenses are going through their final install phase, defenses are mixing in more exotic blitzes as the first game week nears. That can make for an ugly final scrimmage for the offense, with an occasional big play mixed in. Hopefully it all comes together when it kicks off for real in week one.

Outsider1
August 19th, 2018, 01:00 PM
I agree with most who have said that many of the issues our offense had was because our defense is playing that good. The LBs and secondary just really aren't allowing much. That is why I say they have progressed further than the offense. The offense is definitely ahead of where they have been. I don't mind vanilla if it is executed well and consistently. Even if our defense knows our offense VERY well, we shouod be able to do better. I think our guys will be able to make adjustments. The coaches are still mixing up some players within the 1st and 2nd teams and that will also benefit us later even if it makes for mixed results now. I also still believe this will be a very interesting season for the SLC.

Daytripper
August 20th, 2018, 07:42 AM
Linebackers Preview - 2/9 position previews

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=92955&SPID=11345&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211768532&DB_OEM_ID=19900

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics33/800/LJ/LJNYUGHVWHPQYOM.20180817163939.png

Panther88
August 20th, 2018, 11:43 AM
Linebackers Preview - 2/9 position previews

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=92955&SPID=11345&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211768532&DB_OEM_ID=19900

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics33/800/LJ/LJNYUGHVWHPQYOM.20180817163939.png

DT, don't forget that nwst quietly slid all-world Sheppler into their program. (record setting tx 5A All-Stater a few seasons ago)

FormerPokeCenter
August 20th, 2018, 12:03 PM

McNeese breathes refinery air all week long, which means we don't get a whole lot of oxygen. We might actually get more of the stuff in Greeley....

Daytripper
August 20th, 2018, 01:55 PM
McNeese breathes refinery air all week long, which means we don't get a whole lot of oxygen. We might actually get more of the stuff in Greeley....

Same goes for Lamar.

lionsrking2
August 20th, 2018, 04:00 PM

Good point. Pokes by 21. xdrunkyx

BEAR
August 21st, 2018, 09:12 AM
The SLC is doing a live look in at the SFA football practice this morning. Pretty cool. Coach is mic'd up.

Outsider1
August 21st, 2018, 04:01 PM
ACU has done a couple of mic'd up videos for us during this Fall camp; really great to watch.

Daytripper
August 22nd, 2018, 07:53 AM
Defensive Line Preview - 3/9 previews

http://www.gobearkats.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=92955&SPID=11345&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211768948&DB_OEM_ID=19900

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics33/800/HI/HIJSANCDXHXFQBY.20180821183437.png

McNeese72
August 22nd, 2018, 07:56 AM
No player position previews for McNeese. We don't have any players worth previewing. ;)

Doc

BEAR
August 22nd, 2018, 08:51 AM
No player position previews for McNeese. We don't have any players worth previewing. ;)

Doc

Cowboy fans getting ready for the season:

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/americanpress.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/5/1b/51b19488-89bd-11e7-866b-2b7d59de4b43/59a0628ab60b3.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C959