PDA

View Full Version : An ICON Hall of Famer passes

MACHIAVELLI
March 12th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Ernie Ladd, a talented football player who made his name nationally as a wrestler, died overnight, according to family members.
Ladd, 68, had battled cancer — first in his colon, then later in his stomach and bones — since 2004. Born Nov. 28, 1938, in Rayville, but raised in Orange, Texas, he worked through his final years as a pastor in the Louisiana town of Franklin.

Elected to four straight AFL All-Star Games from 1962-1965, he later played with the Houston Oilers and the Kansas City Chiefs. While with the Chiefs, he reunited with future Pro Football Hall of Famer Junious "Buck" Buchanan, another Grambling product, and was on the roster for both of Kansas City's Super Bowl appearances.

Today, he's the only person in both the American Football League and World Wrestling Federation halls of fame. Ladd is also a 1994 inductee into the Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame, and joined the San Diego Hall of Champions in 2004.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070311/UPDATES02/70311008/1006/SPORTS
Ladd was perfect fit as a pro 'rassler'
Many were drawn to former Grambling and AFL standout's other Hall of Fame stint

Column by Paul J. Letlow
http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs.../70311023/1006

Wrestling went haywire sometime in the late 1980s and I lost interest. But there was a time when my Saturday nights were reserved for Mid-South Wrestling.

I’m sure many of you shared those same experiences and can recite all the names with ease. Junkyard Dog, Ted DiBiase, Paul Orndorff — and, of course, Ernie Ladd, who has passed away after a lengthy bout with cancer.

I didn’t meet Ladd in person until I began writing about sports for a living.

Still, I felt like I already knew the “Big Cat” — the gruff TV personality I’d grown up watching on Mid-South.

Ladd started wrestling in the early 1960s while he was still playing football and starred in several territories over the years. He’s one of a handful of wrestlers to be inducted into both the WWE and WCW Halls of Fame.

Before retiring in 1986, Ladd spent five or six years in Cowboy Bill Watts’ Mid-South region. As a wrestler and later the manager of The Wild Samoans — Afa and Sika — Ladd was one of Mid-South’s most memorable characters.

WWE Hall of Famer Ernie Ladd passed away last night, according to TheNewsStar.com of Monroe, La. Ladd, 68, had been battling cancer since 2004.

Prior to a successful career in sports-entertainment, Ladd earned fame as a dominant football player at both the college and pro level. He was a star lineman for Louisiana’s Grambling State University in the late ‘50s, and was recruited in 1961 by the AFL’s San Diego Chargers. He was a member of the Chargers’ 1963 AFL Championship team, and appeared in four straight AFL All-Star Games from 1962-1965. In addition to the Chargers, he also played for the Houston Oilers and Kansas City Chiefs.
http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/ladd

lizrdgizrd
March 12th, 2007, 04:44 PM
RIP Ernie Ladd. xprayx

Go...gate
March 12th, 2007, 04:53 PM
I remember him from the AFL days. He was one hell of a player. Rest in peace.

Col Hogan
March 12th, 2007, 05:17 PM
I'm not a wrestling fan, so I don't know much about that era of his life. But as an early Boston Patriots fan, I remember well the Ernie Ladd who terrorized AFL quarterbacks. Agreat player who helped the AFL rise to greatness.

RIP Mr. Ladd, your family will be in our prayers.

catamount man
March 12th, 2007, 05:49 PM
RIP BIG CAT. They have a 3 page thread on his life over at wrestlingclassics.com.

He was entertaining both on the gridiron and in the ring.

HIU 93
March 12th, 2007, 06:25 PM
My favorite wrestler of all time. Very sad. Met him the other year at the Bayou. He will be missed.

BearsCountry
March 12th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Former Chief. RIP.

Tod
March 12th, 2007, 09:50 PM
:( :(

What a shame. 68 is just too damn young. xsmhx xsmhx

Helluva life, though. Good for him! xthumbsupx

xbowx xbowx xbowx

RIP

HIU 93
March 13th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Great obit on Big Cat from Jim Ross

http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/387716022312

jstate83
March 13th, 2007, 10:39 AM
R.I.P. BIG CAT.

I'm still gonna get you....you Greasy Uncle Tom Ray Candy!!
xlolx xlolx

Mr. C
March 13th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Ernie Ladd was a great, great player and one of the early stars of the AFL. He was also a very influencial player.

HIU 93
March 13th, 2007, 11:56 AM
R.I.P. BIG CAT.

I'm still gonna get you....you Greasy Uncle Tom Ray Candy!!

Ah, yes! The joys of Saturday afternoon wrestling! The one I remember is when Chief Jay Strongbow put the sleeper on Big Cat, and Big Cat played like he was out. While Strongbow was celebrating and dancing, Big Cat took off his shoe, and when Strongbow came over to wake Big Cat up, Big Cat hit him upside the head with that size 17 and then stuffed the Indian headdress down Strongbow's throat.

jstate83
March 13th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Ah, yes! The joys of Saturday afternoon wrestling! The one I remember is when Chief Jay Strongbow put the sleeper on Big Cat, and Big Cat played like he was out. While Strongbow was celebrating and dancing, Big Cat took off his shoe, and when Strongbow came over to wake Big Cat up, Big Cat hit him upside the head with that size 17 and then stuffed the Indian headdress down Strongbow's throat.
xlolx
The Big Cat was heck on the field and a showman in the ring.

Name 1 other Heavyweight Champion that kept the belt for 2 years by "suing" Mid-South Wrestling everytime he lost to get it back.xlolx

His lawyers would alway's have that camera footage of cheating ...........CHEATING GOING AGAINST HIM OF COURSE..........and they would alway's rule in his favor.

That drove me crazy.
Every Saturday I'm thinking someone else has the belt and then the BIG Cat and his lawyer show's up with the court order demanding the return of the belt. xlolx

HIU 93
March 13th, 2007, 12:19 PM
WWE Tribute to Big Cat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjxNEas28PE

lizrdgizrd
March 13th, 2007, 12:22 PM
WWE Tribute to Big Cat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjxNEas28PE
Nice tribute. Too bad the sound was out of sync. Or was that just me?

HIU 93
March 13th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Nice tribute. Too bad the sound was out of sync. Or was that just me?

It was.

HIU 93
March 13th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Ernie on the Mic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ennfM-6NDD8

MACHIAVELLI
March 13th, 2007, 03:49 PM
Great obit on Big Cat from Jim Ross

http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/387716022312

Good stuff.

HIU 93
March 14th, 2007, 05:34 AM
xlolx
The Big Cat was heck on the field and a showman in the ring.

Name 1 other Heavyweight Champion that kept the belt for 2 years by "suing" Mid-South Wrestling everytime he lost to get it back.xlolx

His lawyers would alway's have that camera footage of cheating ...........CHEATING GOING AGAINST HIM OF COURSE..........and they would alway's rule in his favor.

That drove me crazy.
Every Saturday I'm thinking someone else has the belt and then the BIG Cat and his lawyer show's up with the court order demanding the return of the belt. xlolx

Ah yes!!! The "injured" thumb used to crack me up every time!

Interesting note- Ernie Ladd was the booker in Mid South. For those posters who may not know, that meant he made all the decisions on who was going to get pushed. He was the first Black man to be a booker in the history of wrestling. That is how a lot of Black wrestlers became stars in the 70's and 80's. People like JYD, Butch Reed, Koko B. Ware, SD Jones, Ray Candy, Bad Leroy Brown, Bad News Allen ("Brown" for you WWF guys), Iceman King Parsons, and others may not have become stars if Big Cat had not been in the trenches fighting for them.

He was, to put it plain, the best.

mikebigg
March 14th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Ah yes!!! The "injured" thumb used to crack me up every time!

Interesting note- Ernie Ladd was the booker in Mid South. For those posters who may not know, that meant he made all the decisions on who was going to get pushed. He was the first Black man to be a booker in the history of wrestling. That is how a lot of Black wrestlers became stars in the 70's and 80's. People like JYD, Butch Reed, Koko B. Ware, SD Jones, Ray Candy, Bad Leroy Brown, Bad News Allen ("Brown" for you WWF guys), Iceman King Parsons, and others may not have become stars if Big Cat had not been in the trenches fighting for them.

He was, to put it plain, the best.

There was much brain behind the brawn and a man of conviction who had compassion for others. Ladd was always outspoken, a man who didn't hold his peace to "get along". He once lead a successful boycott of an AFL All-Star game in New Orleans ( I believe in 1965) because of Housing laws in that city.

When I was younger, I admired him for his football prowess and wrestling antics. After getting to know him through a mutual friend, I found out that he was a man who tried to help others and make life better for ALL people. He will be missed!

MarkCCU
March 14th, 2007, 10:04 AM
just reading up on him, wow. RIP!!!

mlbowl
March 14th, 2007, 12:36 PM
R.I.P.