PDA

View Full Version : Most Impressive major...

Pard94
July 25th, 2005, 07:23 AM
So who on your team is wicked smaht (as we say up here in NH)? I didn't check the rest of the team but our QB, Brad Maurer is majoring in Neuroscience with a minor in Spanish. He currently holds a 3.5 GPA. Not too damn shabby. All of this coupled with Michael Vick-like QB skills (on a I-AA level).

youwouldno
July 25th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Not quite on topic, but in baseball the Twins drafted and signed a pitcher (a junior at Winthrop) who had a good shot at being his class valedictorian. Not many people with 3.95 GPAs leave school!

Makes sense though, for people drafted in baseball or football or basketball as a junior, to take the money and just finish their degree in their sports' offseason. Not all of them do, of course.

Baldy
July 25th, 2005, 08:49 AM
I would have to it would be Dusty Reddick for GSU. He's only a Sophmore, but he did complete high school with a perfect 4.0. I also believe he scored perfect on the SAT...not sure.
He was named as a National High School Scholar-Athlete by the National Football Foundation in 2004, and started 11 of 12 games as a true freshman last season.

http://www.footballfoundation.com/NHSawardcurrent.php

Pretty impressive I'd say.

89rabbit
July 25th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Mitch Klein, Sr., LB, Dell Rapids, SD (Dell Rapids) – 4.000 Electrical Engineering

The Gadfly
July 25th, 2005, 09:07 AM
Marine Biology

NoCoDanny
July 25th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Marine Biology

Is anyone here a Marine Biologist?

cosmo here
July 25th, 2005, 09:29 AM

Is it a Titleist ?

89Hen
July 25th, 2005, 09:33 AM
Last year for the Hens was Ben Cross (3.95 GPA in Civil Engineering).

HensRock
July 25th, 2005, 09:45 AM
2 years ago, Delaware's Shawn Johnson was a 3.8 GPA graduate with a degree in Biological Anthropology (earned from Duke University). After he was drafted by the Raiders, his teammates nicknamed him "Wonderlich" -after the intelligence test administered to all new NFL prospects as part of their evaluation for the draft. Johnson scored the highest total in the Wonderlich test in 2004. That's wicked smaht.

AggiePride
July 25th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Chris Jones from last year was one of many great students pass through Davis while playing ball. 3.95 in a double major of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry. (that's ONE B+ all throughout college)

"The university is now recognizing the 23-year-old Stockton native -- bound for medical school this fall -- with three awards, including its highest honor for the outstanding graduating senior. The gold University Medal, which comes with a $2,000 honorarium from the Cal Aggie Alumni Association, recognizes scholastic excellence as well as superior achievement in all areas of university life. "

His other activities even seem to dwarf his academics, which is amazing. Check it out here.

http://ucdavisaggies.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/060905aac.html

Lehigh Football Nation
July 25th, 2005, 10:08 AM
All of this coupled with Michael Vick-like QB skills (on a I-AA level).

I don't mind you pumping up a Lafayette guy, and I don't mind you celebrating his fine academics. But don't you think putting "Michel Vick-like" in your post is a tad bit strong? I love Anthony Graziani, but I don't think I'd say he has "Jack Lambert-like skills on the I-AA level".

/nit

Of course, Mark Borda is the second coming of Terry Bradshaw... :D

j/k

JohnStOnge
July 25th, 2005, 10:36 AM
Off topic but I just had to say this because it kind of goes into the "did you know?" category. When the Bell Curve came out it inspired a lot of articles on IQ. One of them showed celebrities that are really smart.

Did you know former baseball great Reggie Jackson was listed as a genius? If I remember correctly they had his IQ at 160. I remember that Madonna also had a genius level score. I think her's was around 160 too. I'm not a Madonna fan but I guess it's not surprising to find that she's really smart.

I should've made a copy of that page and kept it because it was really interesting.

TxSt02
July 25th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Mitch Klein, Sr., LB, Dell Rapids, SD (Dell Rapids) – 4.000 Electrical Engineering

They have electricity up in your parts???

89Hen
July 25th, 2005, 11:49 AM
Reggie Jackson was listed as a genius? If I remember correctly they had his IQ at 160. I remember that Madonna also had a genius level score. I think her's was around 160 too
:eyebrow: This was on some sort of a Bell Curve?

Pard94
July 25th, 2005, 12:34 PM
I don't mind you pumping up a Lafayette guy, and I don't mind you celebrating his fine academics. But don't you think putting "Michel Vick-like" in your post is a tad bit strong? I love Anthony Graziani, but I don't think I'd say he has "Jack Lambert-like skills on the I-AA level".

/nit

Of course, Mark Borda is the second coming of Terry Bradshaw... :D

j/k

yeah accept I put (at a I-AA level) after my comparison to qualify it a bit more. Just like a Lehigh guy not to pay attention to the details. ;)

JohnStOnge
July 25th, 2005, 12:51 PM

Not exactly, now...though I'm in a related job. But 1985-1990 I was a marine biologist for the Georgia Department of Natural Resources Coastal Resources Division headquartered in Brunswick, GA. Not the glamorous kind, though. I was in their program that managed oysters and clams plus I was given responsibility for assessing the Whelk (large marine snail sold as "Conch") fishery. When I used to go to career days at local schools as a "marine biologist" all the kids used to think I went scuba diving on reefs, playing with whales and dolphins, stuff like that. What I did in the field was slog through the marsh and mud to help with resource assessments and management or do surveys of pollution sources and collect water samples for identifying areas from which oysters and clams could be taken and safely eaten raw.

For the Whelk thing I surveyed what was going into processing houses to estimate sizes, species composition (there were three different species in the fishery), and sex ratios. Plus I unselfishly designed a study where I walked beaches once every two weeks looking for egg cases. Hard duty trying to look for egg cases amongst all those bikinis while looking very official and authoritative like I was important or something.

Our Division had SCUBA training and I talked to my program manager about it. He recommended that I not do it because if I could do SCUBA they'd be pulling me off my regular work to go mess with artificial offshore reefs and such.

Had some nice experiences. We had an on call biologist program and one time a harbor seal...which is rare that far south...came up on the beach at night. It was reported and I had to go baby sit it to make sure nobody bothered it. I brought my wife and we sat there in lounge chairs on the beach in the moonlight with an ice chest watching it. The whole scene was just gorgeous and my wife looked SO pretty. We were newlyweds and it's a very fond memory.

Then it swam on down to Florida. They captured it, and put it in Sea World or something. Seriously.

What I do now has to do with water quality in Louisiana and Mississippi oyster harvesting areas. There's a little bit of biology involved because of the need to know how the shellfish respond under different conditions in accumulating pollutants, etc., but it's more environmental health science than marine biology. Plus I also have to deal with the firms that handle, ship, and or process oysters...which is not my favorite part of the job.

JohnStOnge
July 25th, 2005, 01:09 PM
:eyebrow: This was on some sort of a Bell Curve?

The Bell Curve was a book published during the mid 90s that was very controversial and attacked a lot because it discussed the role of genetics in intelligence and the authors suggested that there may be innate differences in mean intellectual potential between racial groups. You can just imagine what THAT set off. Plus, though they did it in a nice way, they pretty much rejected the "anybody can be anything they want to be" outlook our society promotes. Because of the controversy there were a bunch of hostile articles about it. It might've been in Newsweek that I saw the thing on celebrity IQs including Reggie Jackson.

89rabbit
July 25th, 2005, 01:12 PM
They have electricity up in your parts???

Indoor plumbing too. ;) Actually some of the largest hydroelectric dams in the world are in South Dakota on the Missouri River (*see Oahe Dam, Fort Randall Dam, Gavins Point Dam, and Big Bend Dam). The largest hydroelectric dam on the Missouri River is the Oahe Dam in Fort Pierre, SD. This dam has a volume of 92,000 Cubic yards and was completed in 1963. Great fishing and recreation on Lake Oahe behind the dam. :nod:

http://www.travelsd.com/kidzone/gallery/ShowGalleryImage.asp?strTable=tblPhotoGallery&strKeyColumn=PhotoGalleryID&intKeyID=190

The Oahe Dam north of Pierre is one of four massive earthen dams on the Missouri River in South Dakota. Formed by the dam, Lake Oahe is the fourth-largest man-made reservoir in the United States with 2,250 miles of shoreline.

This lesson brought to you by South Dakota Tourism. ;) :D

http://www.travelsd.com/

89Hen
July 25th, 2005, 01:30 PM
It might've been in Newsweek that I saw the thing on celebrity IQs including Reggie Jackson.
Not to completely hijack the thread, but I'm not buying Reggie or Madonna as anything over 120. Mickey Rivers quote on Mr. October... "Reggie's got an IQ of 160? Out of what, a thousand?" Anyone who remembers when Madonna first hit the scene in the early 80's would know she is as dumb as a box of rocks. The feigned intelligence (coupled with the fake British accent) came later in life thanks to a giant ego.

JohnStOnge
July 25th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Ok man. At least if Mickey Rivers said that I know I'm correct in remembering seeing it reported.

Saint3333
July 25th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Eric Elsner, back-up QB transferred from Air Force to ASU has 4.0 in Accounting.

BTW ASU was number one for CPA exam pass rate in the nation last year. The NFL isn't in his future, but a big accounting firm certainly is.

Baldy
July 25th, 2005, 03:56 PM
But 1985-1990 I was a marine biologist for the Georgia Department of Natural Resources Coastal Resources Division headquartered in Brunswick, GA.

John, when was the last time you visited the "Golden Isles"?
If you haven't been back since 1990, you wouldn't recognize the place.

Down with the Foe!
July 25th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Is it a Titleist ?

That's my line!

I'm Kosmo

:cool: