PDA

View Full Version : Another nomenclature mistake

UNHWILDCATS05
March 12th, 2007, 12:34 PM
This was actually the reason they got rid of the I-A and I-AA names right??

Union Leader (http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=NH+players+go+dancin%27&articleId=ecaf6eac-bdbb-4c31-b7a6-c1d70f8629a3)

Tyler Roche and Chris Lutz, like their teams, are officially living large.

The former New Hampshire high school basketball stars, currently contributing at the Division I-A men's hoop level, celebrated their squads' at-large NCAA Tournament berths to the field of 65 last night.

I sent a response to the author, but it just got me thinking about how long, if ever, it will actually be until those former names disappear.

March 12th, 2007, 12:38 PM
let's give it some time, just started in the last 14 weeks... keep sending the reminder emails because that helps...

OL FU
March 12th, 2007, 12:40 PM
This was actually the reason they got rid of the I-A and I-AA names right??

Union Leader (http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=NH+players+go+dancin%27&articleId=ecaf6eac-bdbb-4c31-b7a6-c1d70f8629a3)

I sent a response to the author, but it just got me thinking about how long, if ever, it will actually be until those former names disappear.

Nice example of why basketball and other sports coaches wanted I-AA to go awayxnodx

March 12th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Nice example of why basketball and other sports coaches wanted I-AA to go awayxnodxHeard the Illinois bball coach say "I-A basketball" over and over on sports radio the other day.

OL FU
March 12th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Heard the Illinois bball coach say "I-A basketball" over and over on sports radio the other day.

Poor sap, doesn't even know the name of the division he coachesxnonox xsmiley_wix

Lehigh Football Nation
March 12th, 2007, 02:12 PM
For the record, some columnist out there (don't remember who, maybe he's on Yahoo Sports) called the basketball "power conferences" like the Big 10, Big 12, Pac 10 and the like as "BCS schools". I know it's not specific to the FCS/I-AA problems, but I think it's related, i.e., applying football terminology to sports other than football.

bobbythekidd
March 12th, 2007, 02:29 PM
I just saw this on TSC. It's pretty sad when the fans are clueless...

I did'nt think you meant history that's why I was aking, although if you look back over the years we had numerous programs(baseball, basketball and golf) that were sucessful. Football is the only one you don't compete at the division 1 level for a National Championship so that kind of gives football the edge!

the whole tread is here:

http://www.southern-connection.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=25644

lucchesicourt
March 12th, 2007, 03:51 PM
How long will it take to get rid of the 1A and 1AA nomenclature? I really don't know. UC Davis has been trying to get rid of the Cal Davis for 30+ years, but we still haven't. We even have people, who never attended UCD, telling us we are Cal Davis and that it is the apporpriate name for our school. So, my guess is the 1A and 1AA will be around for quite a while. People's habits are not easy to change.

March 12th, 2007, 10:59 PM
The full wrath and fury begins when Fall camp starts this year!

Keeper
March 13th, 2007, 04:15 AM
The full wrath and fury begins when Fall camp starts this year!

I say sooner when the magazines and annual publications come
out in June and July.xreadx

MarkCCU
March 13th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Heard the Illinois bball coach say "I-A basketball" over and over on sports radio the other day.

How sad. I would imagine one would be used to say I-A or I-AA after all these years.

GeauxColonels
March 13th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Referring to football as "I-A" and "I-AA" is TOTALLY understandable since they were once actually called that. HOWEVER, it is inescusable that the tags were put on basketball and other sports at all. Therefore, I don't really think writers and coaches should be spared at all when referring to college basketball as "I-A" or "I-AA"...it NEVER SHOULD HAVE HAPPENED!xnonox