PDA

View Full Version : South Dakota State 2018 Preview

JacksFan40
July 24th, 2018, 10:27 PM
Just my take on how this season could go, feel free the leave your own predictions.

Brought to you by Joose.

This is going to be an interesting year for the Jacks. Just graduated 2 of the greatest players in program history and made it to the semis for the first time. Team looks decent enough, defense should improve from last year.

Key losses: This is obvious, Jake Wieneke and Dallas Goedert obviously, Kellen Soulek at DT is a big loss as well.

Players to watch: Taryn Christon, Jordan Brown, Christian Rozeboom.

Breakout Player: Skylar Cavanaugh TE. Hard to replace Goedert, but Cavanaugh might become a beast himself.

Game by Game predictions:
@Iowa State L 36-20: I’d love to see SDSU win this, and I think they can as well, but Campbell has the Cyclones surging in the right direction.

Vs Montana State (Dairy Drive) W 27-17: This should be a good game like last year against a solid Big Sky team, good way to open the home schedule.

Vs Arkansas Pine-Bluff (Beef Bowl) W 56-10: APB is overmatched here and SDSU shouldn’t struggle with this game.

@NDSU L 24-17: I hate picking NDSU over SDSU, I hope I’m dead wrong on this, but it sounds like this NDSU could be better than 2013, and I don’t know if SDSU will win 3 straight markers. Plus it’s Fargo.

Vs Indiana State (Hall of Fame Game) W 38-16: Trees will be better than last year, but they won’t beat SDSU, good bounce back after NDSU.

Vs Youngstown State (Hobo Day) L 28-25: Jacks never play good on Hobo Day it seems like, and YSU should be a quality team this year, I don’t like this game.

@Northern Iowa W 31-28: SDSU has played well in the UNI-Dome the last 2 times, I think SDSU can pull this one off.

@Illinois State L 35-24: Jacks don’t play good in Normal at all, if SDSU comes out flat, they won’t win, I think SDSU can win this and I hope so, but I’m not huge on this game.

Vs Misery State (Military Appreciation Day) W 42-21: Unless SDSU chaos the bed like 2013, they won’t lose this game, and it shouldn’t be that close.

@Southern Illinois W 38-33: This one could be like the 2016 game and be as shootout or like last year and be a blowout, I’ll go with shootout.

Vs South Dakota (SD Showdown Series) W 21-0: Screw the U.

Final Regular Season Record: 7-4

Rebuilding year, I think they could be 9-2 team easily, but SDSU always loses a game they’re not supposed to.

Playoffs: At Large bid, should get into 2nd Round, with rught draw possibly Quartefinals, oh who am I kidding we'll get sent to Fargo for the 50th time.

MVP: Taryn Christon or Christian Rozeboom.

Thumper 76
July 24th, 2018, 10:59 PM
Yeah, this is a plausible scenario. I lean more towards 8-3 myself, but I'm a bigger believer in TC than most.

cx500d
July 24th, 2018, 11:08 PM
Yeah, this is a plausible scenario. I lean more towards 8-3 myself, but I'm a bigger believer in TC than most.

How about listing coaches that are being watched, I mean coaches to watch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thumper 76
July 24th, 2018, 11:24 PM
How about listing coaches that are being watched, I mean coaches to watch?

I see what you did there. However, on a serious note I would put Zach Lujan on that list. He was the senior that TC beat out for the starting job his soph year. Went on to be a grad assistant for us and was just made the Running Backs coach. Probably one of the youngest coaches in the country at this level I would think.

As for things to watch, from talking to clenz we might find out in a hurry whether or not our DTs will hold up against Iowa State. That's the biggest question I have with our defense. If they can have a couple guys emerge, our defense could be pretty stout. We already have a great corner in Brown, our LBs should be good with Rozeboom and co, and our DEs were really coming around towards the end of last year. But we need to replace Souleck at the DT spot. My biggest offensive key to watch is how the O line gels now that our AA center has graduated. If those things come together, I really believe this will be a very dangerous team that's closer to 9-2 than 7-4. If they don't, it will be a fight just to get in the playoffs.

As for the season, I have a hard time seeing it be a non playoff year. Sure, we have a tough road schedule, but the home slate is pretty soft. To go 6-5 or worse we would have to lose every road game most likely. Its possible we could drop the YSU game, but I think theres going to be a pretty heavy emphasis on winning on Hobo Day this year. Someday we will lose to USeD, and they'll probably be tougher than we've been giving them credit for on here, but I don't see their first DI win against SDSU coming in Brookings. Next year would be the one I'm worried about when we have new qb playing down there for the first time.

JacksFan40
July 24th, 2018, 11:48 PM
I see what you did there. However, on a serious note I would put Zach Lujan on that list. He was the senior that TC beat out for the starting job his soph year. Went on to be a grad assistant for us and was just made the Running Backs coach. Probably one of the youngest coaches in the country at this level I would think.

As for things to watch, from talking to clenz we might find out in a hurry whether or not our DTs will hold up against Iowa State. That's the biggest question I have with our defense. If they can have a couple guys emerge, our defense could be pretty stout. We already have a great corner in Brown, our LBs should be good with Rozeboom and co, and our DEs were really coming around towards the end of last year. But we need to replace Souleck at the DT spot. My biggest offensive key to watch is how the O line gels now that our AA center has graduated. If those things come together, I really believe this will be a very dangerous team that's closer to 9-2 than 7-4. If they don't, it will be a fight just to get in the playoffs.

As for the season, I have a hard time seeing it be a non playoff year. Sure, we have a tough road schedule, but the home slate is pretty soft. To go 6-5 or worse we would have to lose every road game most likely. Its possible we could drop the YSU game, but I think theres going to be a pretty heavy emphasis on winning on Hobo Day this year. Someday we will lose to USeD, and they'll probably be tougher than we've been giving them credit for on here, but I don't see their first DI win against SDSU coming in Brookings. Next year would be the one I'm worried about when we have new qb playing down there for the first time.
7-4 I think will be the worst SDSU will go, 10-1 would be the best but I doubt that’ll happen. 9-2 is a realistic expectation, losses to Iowa State and NDSU I’d say, though hopefully Jacks can beat one of them.

CappinHard
July 25th, 2018, 10:16 AM
I'm setting the regular season win total line at 8. Here's how I perceive the odds for possible records:

11-0 2%
10-1 8%
9-2 20%
8-3 40%
7-4 20%
6-5 8%
5-6 (or worse) 2%

Professor Chaos
July 25th, 2018, 10:21 AM
I see a 8-3 regular season as the most likely for SDSU as well. Losses to NDSU in the Marker game (about gd time!) and Iowa St and then one other random game that they should win but they'll lose because they're always good for one of those a year.

dewey
July 25th, 2018, 10:49 AM
I see a 8-3 regular season as the most likely for SDSU as well. Losses to NDSU in the Marker game (about gd time!) and Iowa St and then one other random game that they should win but they'll lose because they're always good for one of those a year.

I was going to say the same thing. SDSU has been very good the last 7 years or so and have a done a great job reloading and I think they will continue to reload.

I would say there are higher odds of 7-4 than 9-2 but 8-3 sounds about right.

Dewey

POD Knows
July 25th, 2018, 11:06 AM
I have the Jackasses (sorry, still bitter after the last couple Marker games) REALLY high in my preseason poll so I am guessing they will finish at 7-4, maybe an outside chance of 8-3 but I am leaning towards 7-4.

BisonFan02
July 25th, 2018, 11:28 AM
Is this another troll preview? :D

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
July 25th, 2018, 01:36 PM
I think you beat YSU but lose to SIU and Montana State would worry me if i was you. For love of god please beat a Big Sky team in convincing fashion!

dewey
July 25th, 2018, 01:43 PM
I think you beat YSU but lose to SIU and Montana State would worry me if i was you. For love of god please beat a Big Sky team in convincing fashion!

I wouldn't be too concerned about Montana State. They were a predicted middle of the pack Big Sky team before their quarterback declared he wasnt playing this fall.

SDSU should win that one convincingly if they are truly a top 10 team.

Dewey

IBleedYellow
July 25th, 2018, 01:52 PM
If you're going to meme you have to at least remember to include them all

#JackBoys

CappinHard
July 25th, 2018, 01:56 PM

You expecting a big year from an SIU team that went 2-6 in the conference last year?

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
July 25th, 2018, 01:58 PM
I wouldn't be too concerned about Montana State. They were a predicted middle of the pack Big Sky team before their quarterback declared he wasnt playing this fall.

Dewey

A lot of new pieces need to find their way early in the season. They've **** the bed before Cough (Cal Poly Game) and in fairness I forgot about the QB situation. If they get beat up and have a couple injuries against a pretty good Iowa state team. Trap game!

- - - Updated - - -

You expecting a big year from an SIU team that went 2-6 in the conference last year?

That's the game they should win and won't. either way I see them beating YSU

IBleedYellow
July 25th, 2018, 04:06 PM

At this point y'all are due a ****ty game once a year just like we are.

The type of game where the entire FCS goes "WTF just happened?!?"

Evolution Prime
July 25th, 2018, 04:41 PM
10-1
Close loss to ISU on a last second field goal.
Comfortable win against NDSU.
Truck YSU for a win on Hobo Day.
Take USD to the woodshed.
National Champion in a rematch against JMU.
Total domination
#imoffmymeds

POD Knows
July 25th, 2018, 04:44 PM
10-1
Total domination
#imoffmymeds#bookit

Kemo
July 25th, 2018, 04:52 PM
10-1
Total domination
#imoffmymeds
#takeittothebank

TheKingpin28
July 25th, 2018, 05:27 PM
#takeittothebank

http://e.lvme.me/pzv5j7l.jpg

caribbeanhen
July 25th, 2018, 05:38 PM
South Dakota State fans, what is the biggest key to beating the Bison?

familiarity?

cx500d
July 25th, 2018, 05:39 PM

familiarity?

JOOSE, and lots of it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dewey
July 25th, 2018, 10:19 PM

familiarity?

Scoring more points than NDSUxlolx

Seriously though i think it is familiarity as I think a lot of teams are beaten before the coin toss.

Dewey

Thumper 76
July 25th, 2018, 11:06 PM

familiarity?
At this point, that's half the battle if you count your attitude as part of it. Your team needs swagger and no fear of them. Realistically I think that's the bigger part tbh. Look at the 07 SDSU team that upset their undefeated season, the UNI teams that gave them fits, Georgia Southern when they came in and gave them a hell of a game, even Chuck South when they went up there and gave them a run, and the last two years of SDSU. Those teams all played with no fear, a fierce attitude, and swagger that was almost cocky. That starts with the coaches most of the time IMO. For UNI and SDSU there is a healthy dose of hatred between those teams as well, that far outdistances the fans. The other half is either do what JMU did and have as much talent as they do running a similar style and straight outplay, out coach, and out physical them, which is really difficult to do. Or you could do what SDSU did and work to be just as good as the bison are at something different. As much as everyone points to Jake and Dallas being the reasons SDSU has won the last 2 out of 3, there's one common denominator in the equation that wasn't there three years ago in the Marker Game even though the offense was almost as potent. His name is Taryn Christion. Having a mobile qb who is a threat to throw first, buy time with his feet to throw, and then run third is something that has been all the difference. The years the bison have dominated the match ups we has immobile qbs and a good running game. That allows them to focus on shutting down the run and their pass rush to T off on you. And when they get to do that against an immobile qb your ship is sunk. Look at what they did to Brisco. The added threat of a qb who can run gives you a chance to keep the chains moving, put some early points on the board, and force them out of their game. TC has a shot at having a 3-1 record vs the bison. I don't think any qb has 2 wins against them during this run, let alone had a shot at a .750 win percentage. Plus you have to stop their run game to start. That's where the familiarity comes into play for the Jacks, our defense usually plays above their level against them, and I chalk that up to emotion and familiarity. That's obviously a lot of things that need to happen, but that's why they are hard to beat. But if you can get up on them and force them out of what they want to do on offense to try to catch up, that's when you get what happened last year in Brookings.

That's also why I'm not as high on Stick as bison fans are, hes never needed to carry the team to win. When he was forced to do that against JMU and SDSU he tends to falter. Thats just my opinion. He is a good qb, but just as everyone claims that TC was able to be carried by two all time players, Stick gets as much of a benefit from having a crushing run game and a brick wall defense. I have no doubt there will be bison fans who shout me down about this, and I could be wrong about him having to carry them to a win here or there. There is no doubt that hes not asked to do near as much as a TC, Gubrud, or Hodges to win games for their team from a passing standpoint. Its a similar debate as the Brady/Rodgers one IMO (debate, neither xDSU qb is close to that level or comparable in skill to two NFL MVPs obviously).

So long story short, familiarity helps, but I would say that has its biggest effect when it comes to playing in Fargo. Otherwise its other mental aspects and forcing them out of their gameplan. If you can get them to chase a little bit and not be able to rely on the run game wearing you down in the second half to seal the game, you're in a good spot. If you don't, well, see the 2016 SDSU playoff game.

edit: I will also pat myself on the back because I told several people TC would be the difference for us in those games. Nailed it :D

Catbooster
July 26th, 2018, 02:07 AM

Dewey
If I had to bet on this one, I'd probably put my money on SDSU to win, but I doubt it's a blow-out. I think we'll be a better team than last year, and last year was a tight game (of course, it's in Brookings this year).

As you point out, our big question mark is at QB. Murray was extremely fast, athletic and unpredictable. That made him very hard to defend. Unfortunately, he was unpredictable for his team-mates too. It wouldn't surprise me if we're better at the QB position this year, but all of the possible replacements are unproven, so who knows? Even if someone steps up, this game is pretty early in the season so things might not gel yet.

The preseason rankings for the Big Sky are tough. I don't think anyone knows what to expect. Eight teams got first place votes in the media poll. Virtually everyone thinks EWU will be good; Similar with Weber (although some have them down because they lost a number of good players); NAU has both Cookus and Butler healthy this year (but their defense and tendency to fade down the stretch); Idaho has FBS talent (but hasn't proven anything yet); Sac State had their best year last year; Southern Utah never gets any hype but they've won (or shared) the Big Sky championship 2 of the last 3 years; Montana has Bobby back (but a total change in philosophy and Buss likely not being able to play most of the season wasn't known until after the vote); UC Davis has some stud players back and had a very promising year last year. So being picked in the middle of the pack in the preseason poll doesn't mean much in my opinion.

caribbeanhen
July 26th, 2018, 06:53 AM
At this point, that's half the battle if you count your attitude as part of it. Your team needs swagger and no fear of them. Realistically I think that's the bigger part tbh. Look at the 07 SDSU team that upset their undefeated season, the UNI teams that gave them fits, Georgia Southern when they came in and gave them a hell of a game, even Chuck South when they went up there and gave them a run, and the last two years of SDSU. Those teams all played with no fear, a fierce attitude, and swagger that was almost cocky. That starts with the coaches most of the time IMO. For UNI and SDSU there is a healthy dose of hatred between those teams as well, that far outdistances the fans. The other half is either do what JMU did and have as much talent as they do running a similar style and straight outplay, out coach, and out physical them, which is really difficult to do. Or you could do what SDSU did and work to be just as good as the bison are at something different. As much as everyone points to Jake and Dallas being the reasons SDSU has won the last 2 out of 3, there's one common denominator in the equation that wasn't there three years ago in the Marker Game even though the offense was almost as potent. His name is Taryn Christion. Having a mobile qb who is a threat to throw first, buy time with his feet to throw, and then run third is something that has been all the difference. The years the bison have dominated the match ups we has immobile qbs and a good running game. That allows them to focus on shutting down the run and their pass rush to T off on you. And when they get to do that against an immobile qb your ship is sunk. Look at what they did to Brisco. The added threat of a qb who can run gives you a chance to keep the chains moving, put some early points on the board, and force them out of their game. TC has a shot at having a 3-1 record vs the bison. I don't think any qb has 2 wins against them during this run, let alone had a shot at a .750 win percentage. Plus you have to stop their run game to start. That's where the familiarity comes into play for the Jacks, our defense usually plays above their level against them, and I chalk that up to emotion and familiarity. That's obviously a lot of things that need to happen, but that's why they are hard to beat. But if you can get up on them and force them out of what they want to do on offense to try to catch up, that's when you get what happened last year in Brookings.

That's also why I'm not as high on Stick as bison fans are, hes never needed to carry the team to win. When he was forced to do that against JMU and SDSU he tends to falter. Thats just my opinion. He is a good qb, but just as everyone claims that TC was able to be carried by two all time players, Stick gets as much of a benefit from having a crushing run game and a brick wall defense. I have no doubt there will be bison fans who shout me down about this, and I could be wrong about him having to carry them to a win here or there. There is no doubt that hes not asked to do near as much as a TC, Gubrud, or Hodges to win games for their team from a passing standpoint. Its a similar debate as the Brady/Rodgers one IMO (debate, neither xDSU qb is close to that level or comparable in skill to two NFL MVPs obviously).

So long story short, familiarity helps, but I would say that has its biggest effect when it comes to playing in Fargo. Otherwise its other mental aspects and forcing them out of their gameplan. If you can get them to chase a little bit and not be able to rely on the run game wearing you down in the second half to seal the game, you're in a good spot. If you don't, well, see the 2016 SDSU playoff game.

edit: I will also pat myself on the back because I told several people TC would be the difference for us in those games. Nailed it :D

I'm going to read this post again when I have time, first read it was pretty damn good!

dewey
July 26th, 2018, 07:47 AM
If I had to bet on this one, I'd probably put my money on SDSU to win, but I doubt it's a blow-out. I think we'll be a better team than last year, and last year was a tight game (of course, it's in Brookings this year).

As you point out, our big question mark is at QB. Murray was extremely fast, athletic and unpredictable. That made him very hard to defend. Unfortunately, he was unpredictable for his team-mates too. It wouldn't surprise me if we're better at the QB position this year, but all of the possible replacements are unproven, so who knows? Even if someone steps up, this game is pretty early in the season so things might not gel yet.

The preseason rankings for the Big Sky are tough. I don't think anyone knows what to expect. Eight teams got first place votes in the media poll. Virtually everyone thinks EWU will be good; Similar with Weber (although some have them down because they lost a number of good players); NAU has both Cookus and Butler healthy this year (but their defense and tendency to fade down the stretch); Idaho has FBS talent (but hasn't proven anything yet); Sac State had their best year last year; Southern Utah never gets any hype but they've won (or shared) the Big Sky championship 2 of the last 3 years; Montana has Bobby back (but a total change in philosophy and Buss likely not being able to play most of the season wasn't known until after the vote); UC Davis has some stud players back and had a very promising year last year. So being picked in the middle of the pack in the preseason poll doesn't mean much in my opinion.

That is pretty much what the Montana Grizzlies play by play commentator said on Bison 1660 am The BrakeDown show.

https://soundcloud.com/user-744211984/montana-pxp-riley-corcoran-on-the-brakedown-friday-july-13th?in=user-744211984/sets/the-brakedown

Here is a podcast with MSU writer for the Bozeman Chronicle, Paul Schwedelson.

https://soundcloud.com/user-744211984/msu-writer-for-the-bozeman-chronicle-paul-schwedelson-on-the-brakedown-wednesday-july-11th?in=user-744211984/sets/the-brakedown

The Bison 1660 Insiders show and BrakeDown do a great job of getting FCS and FBS reports across the country.
http://www.bison1660.com/on-air/

Dewey

Redbird 4th & short
July 26th, 2018, 08:26 AM
10-1
Total domination
#imoffmymeds

completely agree with at least one of those picks !!

xnodx xdrunkyx

centennial
July 26th, 2018, 08:35 AM
I'm going to read this post again when I have time, first read it was pretty damn good!

It's not rocket science. Ways to beat NDSU-

1. Stop the run.
2. Throw Easton off his game. Easier said than done. He IMO is in the same league as Brock Jensen. But play man and hope to hell that the refs let the game be physical.
3. Take chances. A lot of NDSU losses. The opposition comes in with a no lose mentality. Take chances on 4th down and 2 around mid field.
4. Stop bootlegs, and play action passes. Play good assignment football.
5. Make Klieman have to use a 2 minute drill. Seriously, this is the worst NDSU team in a decade at running a quick offense.
6. Have NFL talent at RB, QB, or WR. Beat NDSU's defense outright and keep them on the field.
7. Don't be intimidated.
8. Show something new, NDSU has excellent film study, come out and run some new plays or formations.

Redbird 4th & short
July 26th, 2018, 08:43 AM
Scoring more points than NDSUxlolx

Seriously though i think it is familiarity as I think a lot of teams are beaten before the coin toss.

Dewey
familiarity helps for sure .. then strong defense ... then having a stud QB, WR, TE tandem to create match up problems for their defense.

Or more likely ... just catch them in trap game. Ironically, it is because they don't panic with slow starts .. so once a year, a trap game sneaks up on them because they don't panic .. sometimes, a sense of urgency that comes with healthy dose of panic ... as in, oh sh-t, they showed up and we didn't ... let's get our sh-t together .. like now !!

So there's that tip .. which you have zero control over which game they do that.

Thumper 76
July 26th, 2018, 11:36 AM
Hey thanks.

1. Stop the run.
2. Throw Easton off his game. Easier said than done. He IMO is in the same league as Brock Jensen. But play man and hope to hell that the refs let the game be physical.
3. Take chances. A lot of NDSU losses. The opposition comes in with a no lose mentality. Take chances on 4th down and 2 around mid field.
5. Make Klieman have to use a 2 minute drill. Seriously, this is the worst NDSU team in a decade at running a quick offense.
6. Have NFL talent at RB, QB, or WR. Beat NDSU's defense outright and keep them on the field.
7. Don't be intimidated.
8. Show something new, NDSU has excellent film study, come out and run some new plays or formations.
My explanation was more fun and exciting xcoffeex

Panthers1995
July 26th, 2018, 12:52 PM
Hey thanks.

My explanation was more fun and exciting xcoffeex

A good defense, Don't be scared of them, David Johnson. I think teams come out of the tunnel thinking a miracle will need to happen to beat NDSU.

Catatonic
July 26th, 2018, 01:56 PM
Wish I had read some of these predictions before I turned in my preseason ballot.

Thumper 76
July 26th, 2018, 02:03 PM
Wish I had read some of these predictions before I turned in my preseason ballot.
Yeah, the thoughts on how SDSU is going to be are all over the map from possibly 9-2 all the way down to people think they have a losing record. Nationally people tend to have them higher, in conference people have them lower, rivals have them lowest xlolx

centennial
July 26th, 2018, 03:29 PM

SDSU = Top 20 team to start the season, unless they can show they can do without the NFL TE and WR.

Professor Chaos
July 26th, 2018, 04:52 PM
SDSU = Top 20 team to start the season, unless they can show they can do without the NFL TE and WR.
I had them way higher than top 20. It's pretty hard to push them down very far from where they ended at last year when you look at the teams you'd be putting above them. They still have an AA caliber QB, a good RB corps, and most of their defense back (so you'd assume they'd continue to improve as they did by the end of last year). Whether the jackboys fans are right or not about their returning WRs and TEs being ready to step up I still think they're easily a top 10 team to start the year.

IBleedYellow
July 26th, 2018, 05:16 PM

1. Stop the run.
7. Don't be intimidated.

This is the only reason why Montana beat us out in there place in Stitts first game. We didn't have film on them. Look what happened when we had film on them later in the year. Complete domination.

cx500d
July 26th, 2018, 05:29 PM

familiarity?

Have lots of team booster conventions like this one to raise bail for your coach and develop strategy:

http://www.manureexpo.org/

Thumper 76
July 26th, 2018, 05:55 PM
Have lots of team booster conventions like this one to raise bail for your coach and develop strategy:

http://www.manureexpo.org/ (http://www.manureexpo.org/)

Meanwhile your athletic department tries to claim they embrace AG more. Bull****.

cx500d
July 26th, 2018, 06:04 PM
Bull****.

Your irony is not lost on me

caribbeanhen
July 26th, 2018, 06:05 PM
I had them way higher than top 20. It's pretty hard to push them down very far from where they ended at last year when you look at the teams you'd be putting above them. They still have an AA caliber QB, a good RB corps, and most of their defense back (so you'd assume they'd continue to improve as they did by the end of last year). Whether the jackboys fans are right or not about their returning WRs and TEs being ready to step up I still think they're easily a top 10 team to start the year.

JMU will be pleased to hear that ...... I have S Dak State at pre season # 6 as per the dart board

Thumper 76
July 26th, 2018, 06:24 PM
Your irony is not lost on me

Glad you caught that.

JMU will be pleased to hear that
Will they though? They didn't do dick for the first half despite being handed the ball by SDSU repeatedly.

ST_Lawson
July 26th, 2018, 10:30 PM
Yeah, the thoughts on how SDSU is going to be are all over the map from possibly 9-2 all the way down to people think they have a losing record. Nationally people tend to have them higher, in conference people have them lower, rivals have them lowest xlolx

I don't see them dropping as far as a losing record...there's still just too much talent there to do that. Personally, I think they'll "fall" back to where they kinda had been the previous few years...something around maybe 8-3 with a first round win in the playoffs...then it depends on if they have to go to Fargo after that or whatever. Last year was a bit of a "fluke" with talent hitting at just the right time, but they're still a very good team (and likely deserving of hanging around the 10-20 range with occasional jumps into the low single-digits rankings).

Thumper 76
July 27th, 2018, 12:10 AM
I don't see them dropping as far as a losing record...there's still just too much talent there to do that. Personally, I think they'll "fall" back to where they kinda had been the previous few years...something around maybe 8-3 with a first round win in the playoffs...then it depends on if they have to go to Fargo after that or whatever. Last year was a bit of a "fluke" with talent hitting at just the right time, but they're still a very good team (and likely deserving of hanging around the 10-20 range with occasional jumps into the low single-digits rankings).

That’s about where I’m at xnodx

Professor Chaos
July 27th, 2018, 09:49 AM
JMU will be pleased to hear that ...... I have S Dak State at pre season # 6 as per the dart board

Will they though? They didn't do dick for the first half despite being handed the ball by SDSU repeatedly.
Yeah, I didn't think SDSU's defense played that bad against JMU. They actually kept their team in the game through most of the 1st half despite the SDSU offense constantly putting them in awful situations due to turnovers. But they could only keep JMU down for so long with as many extra chances that they kept getting. Marshall broke their backs on a couple of long 2nd half runs that I'm still not sure what Rozeboom thought he was doing vacating the hole that broke each run.

caribbeanhen
July 27th, 2018, 10:59 AM
Yeah, I didn't think SDSU's defense played that bad against JMU. They actually kept their team in the game through most of the 1st half despite the SDSU offense constantly putting them in awful situations due to turnovers. But they could only keep JMU down for so long with as many extra chances that they kept getting. Marshall broke their backs on a couple of long 2nd half runs that I'm still not sure what Rozeboom thought he was doing vacating the hole that broke each run.

I forgot about all the early turnovers, things kind of snowballed if memory serves

Thumper 76
July 27th, 2018, 12:42 PM
I forgot about all the early turnovers, things kind of snowballed if memory serves

5 in the first quarter

CappinHard
July 27th, 2018, 01:59 PM

The 65 yd run that was the 2nd play of the 2nd half was just completely demoralizing. Somehow we pulled within 4 points with 56 seconds left in the 1st half, and even after giving up a TD before half, I was still optomistic down 10-21 considering how poorly we had played. Then came the back breaker and it was all over after that.

Just went and watched the 2 big runs you're referring to. Looks like on the first one Rozeboom read outside run and/or had outside responsibility and #31 Kleinschmidt was supposed to come fill the middle and hesitated. On the 2nd one, Rozeboom really screwed the pooch and read outside run and completely missed the cutback hole, which he was obviously responsible for. My guess is he got caught looking for optimal ankle twisting angles.

cx500d
July 27th, 2018, 03:16 PM
The 65 yd run that was the 2nd play of the 2nd half was just completely demoralizing. Somehow we pulled within 4 points with 56 seconds left in the 1st half, and even after giving up a TD before half, I was still optomistic down 10-21 considering how poorly we had played. Then came the back breaker and it was all over after that.

Just went and watched the 2 big runs you're referring to. Looks like on the first one Rozeboom read outside run and/or had outside responsibility and #31 Kleinschmidt was supposed to come fill the middle and hesitated. On the 2nd one, Rozeboom really screwed the pooch and read outside run and completely missed the cutback hole, which he was obviously responsible for. My guess is he got caught looking for optimal ankle twisting angles.

xbowx