PDA

View Full Version : Unconfirmed report that Lafayette is scheduling a trip to Alabama in 2024????

ngineer
July 11th, 2018, 04:22 PM
If true, is the $750,000 payday worth the potential mayhem?

Son of Eli
July 11th, 2018, 04:48 PM
Go for it! I'm hoping Yale will play Georgia in 2029 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Sanford Stadium's opening game of Yale vs Georgia in 1929.

JSUSoutherner
July 11th, 2018, 04:50 PM
Too bad Alabama is too full of stuck up pricks to pay any school in their own state that kind of cash.

RichH2
July 11th, 2018, 04:57 PM
I'm guessing that a Lafayette may be going to Bama, just not our beloved Pards. La-Lafayette seems more likely.

dbackjon
July 11th, 2018, 05:00 PM
I'm guessing that a Lafayette may be going to Bama, just not our beloved Pards. La-Lafayette seems more likely.

U LaLa is playing Alabama this year.

RichH2
July 11th, 2018, 05:43 PM
U LaLa is playing Alabama this year.

Yup I know. :)

Go Green
July 11th, 2018, 08:09 PM
Personally, I'd wait to see how Holy Cross does against BC, Syracuse, and UConn before scheduling power SEC teams if I'm Lafayette (or Yale)....

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 11th, 2018, 08:29 PM
Personally, I'd wait to see how Holy Cross does against BC, Syracuse, and UConn before scheduling power SEC teams if I'm Lafayette (or Yale)....

HC hung with UConn this past year mostly because the Huskies were terrible. BC is going to physically beat the hell out of the Crusaders for 60 minutes. The Dazzler loves the Ground and Pound!

IL and PL teams have no business playing anyone in the SEC with a pulse. Hell, 98% of FCS have no business playing the top SEC teams. They only do it for $$$. If Lehigh or Yale wants to take a shot at Vanderbilt go for it. I rather watch Lehigh play the Commodores instead of Navy this year.....

KPSUL
July 11th, 2018, 09:42 PM
HC hung with UConn this past year mostly because the Huskies were terrible. BC is going to physically beat the hell out of the Crusaders for 60 minutes. The Dazzler loves the Ground and Pound!

IL and PL teams have no business playing anyone in the SEC with a pulse. Hell, 98% of FCS have no business playing the top SEC teams. They only do it for $$$. If Lehigh or Yale wants to take a shot at Vanderbilt go for it. I rather watch Lehigh play the Commodores instead of Navy this year.....

Holy Cross played very well for its first 4 games last season, before collapsing mid-season.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 11th, 2018, 09:59 PM
Holy Cross played very well for its first 4 games last season, before collapsing mid-season.

They played "OK" in September on their way to a 2-3 record. The UNH score was clearly an aberration.

saxbison
July 11th, 2018, 11:36 PM
I'm not a fcs scholar, but will Lafayette have the qualifications in scholarship to count for a "win" for Bama in 2024?

Thumper 76
July 12th, 2018, 01:35 AM
I'm not a fcs scholar, but will Lafayette have the qualifications in scholarship to count for a "win" for Bama in 2024?

I’m sure if they don’t, Bamma will just tell the committee to count them as a win anyways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go Green
July 12th, 2018, 05:22 AM

Even if they'd didn't, I'm sure Bama will have enough wins to be bowl-eligible. :)

DFW HOYA
July 12th, 2018, 05:42 AM

Six of seven Patriot schools (Bucknell, Colgate, Fordham, Holy Cross, Lehigh, Lafayette) are fully qualified as BCS counters. Georgetown is not a counter, and has never publicly disclosed the number of equivalencies it offers, which has been variously estimated from four to 20. No surprise, perhaps, that it has lost 15 straight games to other PL schools.

KPSUL
July 12th, 2018, 05:59 PM
They played "OK" in September on their way to a 2-3 record. The UNH score was clearly an aberration.

The 2017 HC season was an aberration, I'll give you that. For a senior laden team with that much talent they should have won a lot more games. It could be an interesting thesis for an aspiring Sports Psychologist.

Back on topic, something sounds so wrong about the Pards @ Bama 2014. The U of Louisiana at Lafayette theory sounds more plausible.

TheKingpin28
July 12th, 2018, 06:05 PM
Even if they'd didn't, I'm sure Bama will have enough wins to be bowl-eligible. :)

I'm sure Bama will find a way into the "playoffs" that they did not deserve and/or just claim another Natty that they did not earn. xnodx

Go...gate
July 13th, 2018, 12:00 AM
I'm all for it. Go Pards!

RichH2
July 13th, 2018, 10:11 AM
I'm all for it. Go Pards!

Oh my but that is just sadistic. :) The epitome of a "body bag" game. On the other hand, Pards may be pretty good by then, if Garrett sticks around. After Alabama, Pards likely will be a cupcake game for the rest of us. The Alabama over/ under will be how many Pard starters are out with injuries.xrolleyesx . Well OK then, Go Pards . xdrunkyx

Go...gate
July 13th, 2018, 07:27 PM
Oh my but that is just sadistic. :) The epitome of a "body bag" game. On the other hand, Pards may be pretty good by then, if Garrett sticks around. After Alabama, Pards likely will be a cupcake game for the rest of us. The Alabama over/ under will be how many Pard starters are out with injuries.xrolleyesx . Well OK then, Go Pards . xdrunkyx

On the other hand, after facing the Crimson Tide, the rest of the PL may be cupcakes for the Pards!

RichH2
July 13th, 2018, 08:26 PM
Go, if it was Cuse or UMASS et al I would agree. Bama is damn near better than more than a few NFL teams. 77-0 at least. Only benefit to Pards is money.

ElCid
July 13th, 2018, 08:58 PM
I hope Lafayette gets the chance to go. It would obviously be a great experience....and a nice payday.

In other news, in a confirmed report, The Citadel will be playing at Alabama in 2018. Ugh. I like the money, but don't like the L. This will be the third time in 5 years we will be playing the reigning FBS champ. We are 3-8 vs the SEC since 1990 and we have never lost to Alabama.....so we got that going for us.xlolx

PAllen
July 13th, 2018, 09:00 PM

Eh, while I'm not a big proponent of hugely lopsided bodybag games like this would be, I'd rather see Lehigh play Alabama than yet another NEC school.

PAllen
July 13th, 2018, 09:03 PM
I hope Lafayette gets the chance to go. It would obviously be a great experience....and a nice payday.

In other news, in a confirmed report, The Citadel will be playing at Alabama in 2018. Ugh. I like the money, but don't like the L. This will be the third time in 5 years we will be playing the reigning FBS champ. We are 3-8 vs the SEC since 1990 and we have never lost to Alabama.....so we got that going for us.xlolx

Neither has Lafayette :).

FUBeAR
July 13th, 2018, 09:35 PM

And in any of those 3 games vs the reigning FBS Champs, were the bellhops devastated by injuries due to the huge physical mismatches their poor, scrawny little players faced vs. all of those 5 star recruits. Did the Commandant cancel the rest of the season due to a lack of healthy players? Were many of The Citadel’s Players too afraid to take the field? Did those Teams start all of their Scout Team Players?

(Hint - I know the answers to all of those retro-torical questions.)

Let me qualify the correct answers with my own answer... HE11 NO!!!

Just Strap up, take the field EXPECTING to win, play hard, don’t give the game away by making dumba$$ mistakes, and you never know what might happen. Play your best & regardless of the final score or the high potential for an L, EVERYONE benefits from the event. #BeatBamaBellhops

ElCid
July 13th, 2018, 10:26 PM
And in any of those 3 games vs the reigning FBS Champs, were the bellhops devastated by injuries due to the huge physical mismatches their poor, scrawny little players faced vs. all of those 5 star recruits. Did the Commandant cancel the rest of the season due to a lack of healthy players? Were many of The Citadel’s Players too afraid to take the field? Did those Teams start all of their Scout Team Players?

(Hint - I know the answers to all of those retro-torical questions.)

Let me qualify the correct answers with my own answer... HE11 NO!!!

Just Strap up, take the field EXPECTING to win, play hard, don’t give the game away by making dumba$$ mistakes, and you never know what might happen. Play your best & regardless of the final score or the high potential for an L, EVERYONE benefits from the event. #BeatBamaBellhops

Well, heck yeah. But I hate these games against the top tier FBS (call it top 10 FBS). Sure its a great experience for the players....and paycheck. But I always get the distinct impression that they are usually just overwhelmed by the experience rather than getting down to business. Seen too many brain clouds. And that goes for most teams, not just mine. We all know that lightning can strike. We, FCS, have had the odd win and close calls in these games. But mostly, they don't usually seem to play their best game. I would love for great showing come November. We will see.

CHIP72
July 13th, 2018, 11:04 PM

It should be noted that Alabama usually plays its annual DI-AA/FCS opponent the week before the Iron Bowl, which in most seasons is the week of the L-L game.

PAllen
July 13th, 2018, 11:18 PM
It should be noted that Alabama usually plays its annual DI-AA/FCS opponent the week before the Iron Bowl, which in most seasons is the week of the L-L game.

Well clearly Bama and Auburn will have to move their little game to accommodate a real rivalry game.

ElCid
July 14th, 2018, 06:49 AM

That had been true the last few years in regard to Alabama, but it would be interesting to see what Lafayette would do. Give up the L-L game for a paycheck? I don't think it is for that week myself.

RichH2
July 14th, 2018, 09:10 AM
Well clearly Bama and Auburn will have to move their little game to accommodate a real rivalry game.

+1. :) :)

carney2
July 15th, 2018, 08:29 AM
Talk about rumor mongering, ngineer is now King Monger. No way this ever happens.

van
July 15th, 2018, 01:56 PM
Talk about rumor mongering, ngineer is now King Monger. No way this ever happens.

Carney with common sense, whoda thunk it?

carney2
July 15th, 2018, 07:25 PM
Carney with common sense, whoda thunk it?

And I thought this kind of in your face stuff didn't begin until mid-November. I'm trying to think of a Lehigh rejoinder, but with 'bama already in play, I'd have to rumor that the Stained Undies are joining the NFL.

PAllen
July 15th, 2018, 07:39 PM
And I thought this kind of in your face stuff didn't begin until mid-November. I'm trying to think of a Lehigh rejoinder, but with 'bama already in play, I'd have to rumor that the Stained Undies are joining the NFL.

Maybe as an early preseason practice squad.

RichH2
July 15th, 2018, 09:25 PM
Ah do so enjoy some good trash talk. Bittersweet a bit. Do miss Bogie. xsmhx

kperk014
July 16th, 2018, 02:58 AM
I'm sure Bama will find a way into the "playoffs" that they did not deserve and/or just claim another Natty that they did not earn. xnodx

Yeah they are WAY overrated. A complete phony. xlolx

Professor
July 16th, 2018, 01:30 PM
No reason for any FCS school to play Bama

ElCid
July 16th, 2018, 01:37 PM
No reason for any FCS school to play Bama

Free publicity? And they pay pretty well for it.

FUBeAR
July 16th, 2018, 01:59 PM
No reason for any FCS school to play BamaThe enjoyment of the day I had in Tuscaloosa tailgating & attending the game, with my Family & Friends, as fans of the visiting Team was a very good reason. No?

Professor
July 16th, 2018, 03:37 PM
The enjoyment of the day I had in Tuscaloosa tailgating & attending the game, with my Family & Friends, as fans of the visiting Team was a very good reason. No?

Couldn't you tailgate at Bama any Saturday they have a game

FUBeAR
July 16th, 2018, 03:46 PM
NOT as a (true) Fan of the Opposing/Visiting Team. And that makes all the difference!

Did you go to the A&T @ UNC and/or @ECU games? Have you been to other games in Chapel Hill and/or Greenville vs. other ‘random’ Teams?

If so, you know how different it felt knowing your Aggies were going to be taking the field vs. those Tar Holes & Pirates that day. If you say it wasn’t different, then you’re either a VERY casual Fan of your Team or...you lyin’

ElCid
July 16th, 2018, 07:22 PM

Really? I could give a crap about Alabama except if they are playing my team. I certainly wouldn't make that trip and invest the time or money if they were playing anyone else.

walliver
July 17th, 2018, 06:58 PM
The top SEC teams usually play SoCon or Southland teams within bus distance. It makes no sense to fly Lafayette College down to Tuscaloosa. Is there any backstory to justify such a game?

The $750,000 figure is kind of in no man's land. It is higher than most FCS money games, but lower then G5 money games.

The only way I can realistically picture Lafayette "scheduling a trip to Alabama" would be to play Samford, and Sammy ain't paying nobody $750,000. On the other hand, anything can happen : UNC basketball is playing At Wofford and at Elon this year.

ElCid
July 17th, 2018, 07:10 PM
On the other hand, anything can happen : UNC basketball is playing At Wofford and at Elon this year.

I am pretty sure we have had some ACC visits in Bball. And definitely sure we have had some Big 10 visits. Not often, but it has happened.

It is a little weird for Lafayette to be making that trip, but there might be some coaching or admin connection.

carney2
July 18th, 2018, 08:48 AM
ngineer's "unconfirmed report" had to come from somewhere. We are all requesting that he name his source.

Perhaps a Lafayette at Alabama thread should be started to rival the Lafayette at New Hampshire game without end.

BucBisonAtLarge
July 18th, 2018, 02:01 PM
bump

This thread is the perfect summer tonic....

RichH2
July 18th, 2018, 03:29 PM
bump

This thread is the perfect summer tonic....
It sure will serve fine for now.xthumbsupx

Gangtackle11
July 18th, 2018, 04:54 PM
Maybe it’s the wrong Alabama not the wrong Lafayette?

Alabama State vs. Lafayette ?

Certainly he jests.......

xpeacex

Ps: Nova 1-0 vs. Alabama in Football. 41-18 beat down of the Tide in ‘51.

Sader87
July 18th, 2018, 04:57 PM
Alabama reached out to play Holy Cross in the early 1980s...HC declined, Alabama ended up setting up a home&home with BC.

carney2
July 18th, 2018, 06:53 PM
A road trip to Tuscaloosa. Shouldn't cost much. Saban, or whoever's in charge in 2024, would be too embarrassed to charge admission.

The Boogie Down
July 18th, 2018, 07:02 PM
Assuming Joe Moorhead is the coach of Alabama by 2024 I can see him reaching out to his alma mater and staging a rubber game to the deadlocked Rams/Tide series.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 18th, 2018, 07:34 PM
Assuming Joe Moorhead is the coach of Alabama by 2024 I can see him reaching out to his alma mater and staging a rubber game to the deadlocked Rams/Tide series.

There's some legit plausibility to that....

The Boogie Down
July 18th, 2018, 10:41 PM
There's some legit plausibility to that....

It was just a joke but, hey, who knows?

Now, if-if-IF it were to ever magically somehow happen, I do think simply putting Fordham on the same field w/Alabama would lead to a stronger local buzz than even the fairly recent wins over Temple and Army. More local buzz than any trips to the playoffs too. In fact, just being on the same field with Alabama (or any of the top 15-20 "names" like Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Miami, USC etc.) would lead to the biggest college football buzz NYC has seen since Columbia broke that infamous streak 30 years ago.

344Johnson
July 18th, 2018, 11:00 PM
It was just a joke but, hey, who knows?

Now, if-if-IF it were to ever magically somehow happen, I do think simply putting Fordham on the same field w/Alabama would lead to a stronger local buzz than even the fairly recent wins over Temple and Army. More local buzz than any trips to the playoffs too. In fact, just being on the same field with Alabama (or any of the top 15-20 "names" like Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, Miami, USC etc.) would lead to the biggest college football buzz NYC has seen since Columbia broke that infamous streak 30 years ago.

Notre Dame played West Point at Yankee Stadium recently. Tough to beat that in terms of NYC buzz.

The Boogie Down
July 19th, 2018, 12:10 AM
Notre Dame played West Point at Yankee Stadium recently. Tough to beat that in terms of NYC buzz.

No doubt that there's still a "subway alumni" here (well, at least in the suburbs) and Army kinda has a bit of a following too. Also no doubting all the incredible history, especially at Yankee Stadium, that particular rivalry comes with. On top of all that I should add that only about 3,000 fans came out in person to see Columbia finally break their streak. But, the post-game partying was sooo big (drunken bonfires in Morningside Heights) that local news stations actually led their broadcasts with coverage of the game. Or at least coverage of the partying! It was something even non-college football fans took interest in so, b/c of that, I rate that one Columbia victory ahead of ND/Army or even some big games Penn State had in the Meadowlands over the years.

Anyways, in the very crazy event that Fordham ever got on the field w/an Alabama-type name, I could see it being a top local news story. I could also see, even as a goof, the local tabloids sending reporters to Tuscaloosa. I could even see non-college football fans calling in to local sports talk, like WFAN, to ask about a Fordham-Alabama game (hell, to first verify that Fordham even actually has a team) in ways that ND/Army didn't get talked about.

Of course first Fordham has to take on a truly big name to see if any of that is correct!

Go...gate
July 19th, 2018, 12:33 AM
Alabama reached out to play Holy Cross in the early 1980s...HC declined, Alabama ended up setting up a home&home with BC.

Was that when the Bear was still at Bama?

dgtw
July 19th, 2018, 05:01 AM

No. Bryant started in 1958.

Sader87
July 19th, 2018, 01:33 PM

Yes....Alabama was looking for a New England opponent so the story goes...HC HC at the time Rick Carter turned down the offer I'm told.

Holy Cross is 3-0 lifetime against Georgia btw xdrunkyx

CHIP72
July 19th, 2018, 08:37 PM
ngineer's "unconfirmed report" had to come from somewhere. We are all requesting that he name his source.

Perhaps a Lafayette at Alabama thread should be started to rival the Lafayette at New Hampshire game without end.

I think what happened is someone at Lafayette was reading Lehigh Football Nation’s periodic Lehigh vs. Louisiana State suggestions and some people on College Hill thought they could one up their neighbors from Bethlehem.

dgtw
July 20th, 2018, 03:49 AM
Sorry, misread the question. Bryant retired in 1982. So while he signed for the games, Ray Perkins was the coach for them.

DFW HOYA
July 20th, 2018, 05:56 AM
Anyways, in the very crazy event that Fordham ever got on the field w/an Alabama-type name, I could see it being a top local news story. I could also see, even as a goof, the local tabloids sending reporters to Tuscaloosa. I could even see non-college football fans calling in to local sports talk, like WFAN, to ask about a Fordham-Alabama game (hell, to first verify that Fordham even actually has a team) in ways that ND/Army didn't get talked about. Of course first Fordham has to take on a truly big name to see if any of that is correct!

Mississippi State has an opening in 2022.

PAllen
July 20th, 2018, 05:58 AM

They're too B-list for the NY crowd.

Go Green
July 20th, 2018, 07:01 AM
They're too B-list for the NY crowd.

Hopefully Dartmouth v. Princeton at Yankee Stadium next year draws some interest!

CHIP72
July 20th, 2018, 10:27 PM

If Mississippi State does as well the next few years under Joe Moorhead as I think they will, he may not be coaching Mississippi State in 2022. (Then again Dan Mullen, another guy from the north who didn't have ties to Mississippi when he took the job in Starkville, stayed at Mississippi State for almost a decade, so who knows.)

CHIP72
July 20th, 2018, 10:29 PM
Hopefully Dartmouth v. Princeton at Yankee Stadium next year draws some interest!

I doubt it will draw 48,256 fans.

Go...gate
July 21st, 2018, 02:16 AM
Yes....Alabama was looking for a New England opponent so the story goes...HC HC at the time Rick Carter turned down the offer I'm told.

Holy Cross is 3-0 lifetime against Georgia btw xdrunkyx

That is what I thought. Bama had reached out to Rutgers and played in 1980 at the Meadowlands - RU nearly pulled an monumental upset, losing 17-13. Despite that, Bryant DID want to play more teams in the Northeast and New England, and Cross (which was still Division I-A) was getting pretty strong. Would have been a fun match-up in Schaefer Stadium or Fenway Park.

Go Green
July 23rd, 2018, 07:34 AM
Despite that, Bryant DID want to play more teams in the Northeast and New England.

Any reason why Bear wanted to do that?

dgtw
July 23rd, 2018, 04:26 PM

I guess to expose the brand in another part of the country. This was long before every game was on TV.

Go...gate
July 24th, 2018, 12:42 AM

Recruiting.

Go Green
July 24th, 2018, 07:13 AM
Recruiting.

Times must have changed.

Not a single guy on the Bama roster from the Northeast. A few guys from DC/MD, but to me, that's the "Mid-Atlantic" rather than NE.

https://rolltide.com/roster.aspx?roster=195&path=football

DFW HOYA
July 24th, 2018, 07:36 AM
Times must have changed.

Not a single guy on the Bama roster from the Northeast. A few guys from DC/MD, but to me, that's the "Mid-Atlantic" rather than NE.

No surprise--the recruits aren't there.

Top recruits by state:
Florida 65
California 48
Texas 44
Georgia 40
New York 2
Massachusetts 2
Connecticut 1
Rhode Island 0
Vermont 0
New Hampshire 0
Maine 0

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2017/12/18/16780636/best-recruits-2018-state-rankings

Go Green
July 24th, 2018, 07:51 AM

And if they were there in the late 1970s/early 1980s... what happened since?

RichH2
July 24th, 2018, 08:55 AM
Bryant once said, upon an asst taking the job at Temple, that it was an ideal spot for him because he could throw a stick and hit more football players than there were in the State of Alabama.

Go...gate
July 24th, 2018, 04:09 PM
Bryant once said, upon an asst taking the job at Temple, that it was an ideal spot for him because he could throw a stick and hit more football players than there were in the State of Alabama.

New Jersey and New York have always been very good recruiting territory, New England less so - but Bear wanted every good youngster he could find. He and Bo Schembechler were good friends and had an understanding - as did Woody Hayes and Ara Parseghian and, I'm sure, other coaches - that if they had a boy that they might not need to recruit because they already had enough at the position, they would notify their colleagues about the kid. Hayes was especially determined in this regard because he had been a teacher and a lot of these kids came from backgrounds where, most likely, the recruit would be the first family member to go to college - so he tried to get the kids to a place where they could get a good education (and someone would stay on them to do the schoolwork). Even 35-40 years ago, it was a much different situation, and the coaches - even at the highest level of the game - saw their roles differently.

Bill
July 24th, 2018, 10:52 PM
Times must have changed.

Wait a minute! I know its not this year's roster, but right off the top of my head, Minkah Fitzpatrick - a REALLY good player, is from St. Peter's Prep in NJ!!
Just looking out for the Jersey in all of us xthumbsupx

CHIP72
July 24th, 2018, 10:53 PM

FWIW, I believe that assistant was former Arizona Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians (who was actually from York, PA, which for those of you not familiar with Northeast/Mid-Atlantic geography is about 50 miles north of Baltimore and 100 miles west of Philadelphia, the latter of which is where Temple is located).

Bill
July 24th, 2018, 11:07 PM

Top recruits by state:
Florida 65
California 48
Texas 44
Georgia 40
New York 2
Massachusetts 2
Connecticut 1
Rhode Island 0
Vermont 0
New Hampshire 0
Maine 0

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2017/12/18/16780636/best-recruits-2018-state-rankings

DFW,

To be fair, you did leave out NJ & PA out of the northeast....according to that SB article, home of 9 & 12 recruits, respectively. Certainly not as much as the big 4 you listed, but two of the top 15 !!

van
July 25th, 2018, 11:29 AM
DFW,

To be fair, you did leave out NJ & PA out of the northeast....according to that SB article, home of 9 & 12 recruits, respectively. Certainly not as much as the big 4 you listed, but two of the top 15 !!

DFW is a half empty guy, no surprise there

DFW HOYA
July 25th, 2018, 11:51 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Atlantic_(United_States)

CFBfan
July 25th, 2018, 12:35 PM
Times must have changed.

Minkah Fitzpatrick (1st round to Miami) out of Bama came from St Peters Prep in Jersey City

CHIP72
July 25th, 2018, 11:47 PM

Hey, when you're a Georgetown football fan, it's hard not to be an all empty guy.

PAllen
July 27th, 2018, 12:05 PM

Top recruits by state:
Florida 65
California 48
Texas 44
Georgia 40
New York 2
Massachusetts 2
Connecticut 1
Rhode Island 0
Vermont 0
New Hampshire 0
Maine 0

What is lost is that you play a game in Boston and all of New England watches. Do it in NY and most of the NE watches. You play a game in Houston, and 2/3 of Texas doesn't even know it's scheduled until they see the final score on ESPN.

ngineer
July 27th, 2018, 11:10 PM

Been away for a bit and only wish it was vacation that did so. Got a chuckle upon returning and seeing the maelstrom my post created. The information I received was from a Maroon source, who asked anonymity because, as said at the time, it was 'unconfirmed'. Upon return, I was informed that efforts were being made by Garrett to get a 'name' "payday" game that would garner attention to the program and that Alabama was being suggested because of possible past contacts Garrett supposedly had with Saban from years ago. The idea was floated, but was shot down by the Administration. IMO, rightfully so. I see a lot more "down" than "up" by engaging such a game.

I agree with another poster that if we "PLers" want to have a name "payday" game we do so with a team that is not just an NFL training ground, but with the likes of Duke, Vanderbilt, Rice, Virginia or any of the Academies.

carney2
July 29th, 2018, 10:57 AM
Been away for a bit and only wish it was vacation that did so. Got a chuckle upon returning and seeing the maelstrom my post created. The information I received was from a Maroon source, who asked anonymity because, as said at the time, it was 'unconfirmed'. Upon return, I was informed that efforts were being made by Garrett to get a 'name' "payday" game that would garner attention to the program and that Alabama was being suggested because of possible past contacts Garrett supposedly had with Saban from years ago. The idea was floated, but was shot down by the Administration. IMO, rightfully so. I see a lot more "down" than "up" by engaging such a game.

I agree with another poster that if we "PLers" want to have a name "payday" game we do so with a team that is not just an NFL training ground, but with the likes of Duke, Vanderbilt, Rice, Virginia or any of the Academies.

It doesn't sound as if you're having a good summer. Best of luck to you in all things except Lehigh football. As for the rumor, thanks for the update. I disagree with your conclusions about "payday" FBS games however. Personally, I think that they are all a waste of time with little positive to recommend them. In the case that you describe where Lafyette's Garrett was supposedly out to change the culture of the program and make it something of a recruiting magnet, you need to land a big fish and the schools you mention won't do at all. Not saying that I want to see a Lafayette @ Alabama game. I am saying however that playing one of the minnows of FBS accomplishes nothing at all. In that case why bother?!!

RichH2
July 29th, 2018, 11:56 AM
It doesn't sound as if you're having a good summer. Best of luck to you in all things except Lehigh football. As for the rumor, thanks for the update. I disagree with your conclusions about "payday" FBS games however. Personally, I think that they are all a waste of time with little positive to recommend them. In the case that you describe where Lafyette's Garrett was supposedly out to change the culture of the program and make it something of a recruiting magnet, you need to land a big fish and the schools you mention won't do at all. Not saying that I want to see a Lafayette @ Alabama game. I am saying however that playing one of the minnows of FBS accomplishes nothing at all. In that case why bother?!!

Agreed. My exceptions would be Rutgers and Temple for us. BC for Cross. Cuse for Gate.

PAllen
July 29th, 2018, 07:03 PM
Agreed. My exceptions would be Rutgers and Temple for us. BC for Cross. Cuse for Gate.
Disagree. Playing Army, Navy, Wake Forest, BC, Duke, Vandy, even UNC and UVa would greatly increase our visibility and reputation even if we lose almost all of those games.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 29th, 2018, 08:22 PM
Disagree. Playing Army, Navy, Wake Forest, BC, Duke, Vandy, even UNC and UVa would greatly increase our visibility and reputation even if we lose almost all of those games.

Increase visibility? For a weekend yes. If you win much longer. However, simply playing the games does really nothing for your reputation to the average football fan. In fact, you're tagged as a "lower division cupcake" by the majority of mainstream media.

If Lehigh wants to improve their reputation I would start by fixing their defense. Then don't enter the playoffs with a losing a record. Also, avoid getting run off the field in both playoff appearances. Those things didn't help Lehigh's or the league's reputation..

RichH2
July 29th, 2018, 08:56 PM

Dont see those games providing any lasting impact for our football program. Other than the money and some initial PR from playing a. P5 team, what else is it but an L. There is no context for most fans. Playing northeast FBS teams may also be an L but for our fans there is context. Army and Navy are already on PL schedules for future years. Conference members. BC has historical context with Holy Cross somewhat like Lehigh and Lafayette with Rutgers. Personally wouldnt mind WF with Clawson and Higgins. Gate has history with Syracuse. Random FBS games outside of the northeast mean very little. Football is not analogous to Basketball scheduling. Bball is not a bifurcated division.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 29th, 2018, 09:57 PM
Dont see those games providing any lasting impact for our football program. Other than the money and some initial PR from playing a. P5 team, what else is it but an L. There is no context for most fans. Playing northeast FBS teams may also be an L but for our fans there is context. Army and Navy are already on PL schedules for future years. Conference members. BC has historical context with Holy Cross somewhat like Lehigh and Lafayette with Rutgers. Personally wouldnt mind WF with Clawson and Higgins. Gate has history with Syracuse. Random FBS games outside of the northeast mean very little. Football is not analogous to Basketball scheduling. Bball is not a bifurcated division.

Well said. There's no doubt a FBS game is a unique and often exciting experience for the traveling FCS school. For 60 minutes you get to play in an environment that's "above" you for the most part. Obviously that's not always the case depending on the opponent. But for Lehigh playing Navy, HC playing BC or Colgate playing Syracuse there is a clear sense of "playing up". Until the league shows improvement those are scheduled 3+ TD losses.

If Lehigh improves I'd love them to take a shot at a team they can beat. Even though Buffalo was terrible that win in 2002 still carried weight. A legitimately good Lehigh team can beat a Buffalo, Kent State or Akron. A win over one of the Ohio MAC schools would help some in recruiting in the WPIAL and the Buckeye state. Two areas Lehigh has hit hard over the years.

There is such a fine line with these FBS games. At the end of the day you really need the stars to align to be competitive. The other team needs to be down while you have a once in 5 to 10 year squad. Those were the recipes in Lehigh's (before injuries doomed their season), Colgate's win over Buffalo and Fordham's win over Army.

Sader87
July 30th, 2018, 09:33 AM
One of the big rationales for playing FBS games is for recruiting purposes...we shall see but I think one reason HC has had some decent recruiting of late, is that the coaches can tell a prospective player "If you come here, you'll play at BC, in the Carrier Dome, at Navy etc"

RichH2
July 30th, 2018, 10:08 AM
One of the big rationales for playing FBS games is for recruiting purposes...we shall see but I think one reason HC has had some decent recruiting of late, is that the coaches can tell a prospective player "If you come here, you'll play at BC, in the Carrier Dome, at Navy etc"

It probably has some impact on recruiting. How much? Not sure but if you always get clobbered I doubt it is all that positive.

DFW HOYA
July 30th, 2018, 11:40 AM

Certainly doesn't have the same impact to say "if you come here, you'll play at Marist, at Campbell, and at Columbia". But in a few years when Georgetown is left to schedule PSAC schools in September, maybe it won't look so bad in hindsight.

Go Green
July 31st, 2018, 01:57 PM
Dont see those games providing any lasting impact for our football program. Other than the money and some initial PR from playing a. P5 team, what else is it but an L..

Yale beat Army in 2014.

Four years later... Yale finally wins an Ivy title.

RichH2
July 31st, 2018, 02:11 PM
Yale beat Army in 2014.

Four years later... Yale finally wins an Ivy title.

I am all in favor of FBS games with context for the program and fans. For us Army and Navy are natural as they are PL members. Likewise, local FBS teams such as Rutgers BC Cuse Temple UCONN all have context for us. As Army did for Yale. There are few out of the Northeast FBS games that ,other than $$, provide any real benefit to our program.

dgtw
August 1st, 2018, 12:19 PM
I think playing an FBS in your general area is best. Jax State playing an SEC team makes it easier for fans to travel. Even if they don’t go, it creates more local buzz because people are more familiar with the SEC team than they would Wisconsin.