PDA

View Full Version : Montana State starting QB OUT for 2018 Season

IBleedYellow
July 11th, 2018, 01:15 PM
Focusing on Academics.

https://twitter.com/CraigHaley/status/1017108777852686340

katss07
July 11th, 2018, 01:42 PM
What are the chances he plays his senior year?

PantherRob82
July 11th, 2018, 01:43 PM
Is this essentially saying he is/would be ineligible?

IBleedYellow
July 11th, 2018, 01:49 PM
Is this essentially saying he is/would be ineligible?Exactly.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Silenoz
July 11th, 2018, 02:22 PM
So what you're saying is we might not lose to a glorified receiver running QB draw out of every pass play for the third straight season? Halle'****ing'lujah

Also, starting quarterbacks in this state the last two seasons:

Dakota Prukop - transferred to Oregon, benched
Jordan Hoy - transferred to ODU or something
Chris Murray - whatever this is
Tyler Bruggman - benched, transferred
Reese Phillips - leg broke in half
Gresch Jensen - transferred
Caleb Hill - benched after one drive
Makena Simis - Tight End forced into playing quarterback for one game

Catbooster
July 11th, 2018, 02:59 PM
Is this essentially saying he is/would be ineligible?
I'm not sure. The roster says he's using 2018 as his redshirt year. If you're academically ineligible can you redshirt?

kdinva
July 11th, 2018, 03:03 PM
I'm not sure. The roster says he's using 2018 as his redshirt year. If you're academically ineligible can you redshirt?

well, to my knowledge, your "five year clock" does not stop when you do academic work for that semester or semesters.....so it could be the same.....

Thumper 76

Fairly sure you can, it’s burning a year of eligibility either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clenz
How is this even possible?

It’s not hard. I don’t know how any athlete struggles with it. Universities set their athletic programs up to make it almost impossible to not pass. I can’t imagine there is an AD out there that doesn’t have tutors specifically for athletes. I can’t imagine there isn’t a program that doesn’t have a required “study group” time during the week for athletes (freshman and then upper classmen that are at risk).

How?

It takes a special kind of stupid, athlete and program, to lose a kid to grades.

clenz
July 11th, 2018, 03:04 PM

You get 5 to play 4. Doesn’t matter when/why that one year out happens. He gets 5 no matter what.

Catbooster
July 11th, 2018, 03:30 PM
well, to my knowledge, your "five year clock" does not stop when you do academic work for that semester or semesters.....so it could be the same.....

Yeah. I'm just wondering about the terminology - whether it can officially be referred to as a redshirt year if you're academically ineligible.

Go Green
July 11th, 2018, 04:02 PM

It takes a special kind of stupid, athlete and program, to lose a kid to grades.

This happens in the Ivy every now and then. Sometimes its maturity. Sometimes its illness (mono). Sometimes its bad news from back home (loved one is ill, mom and dad splitting up). Sometimes its personal stuff that he can't get out of his mind (girlfriend dumped him).

There's a reason I usually say "assuming good health and good grades" when I make my preseason predictions.

cx500d
July 11th, 2018, 05:45 PM

Depends if the next kid up is better. It’s a good way to lose a starting job

Catbooster
July 11th, 2018, 06:35 PM
Yeah. I'm just wondering about the terminology - whether it can officially be referred to as a redshirt year if you're academically ineligible.
More accurately, I'm wondering whether an academically ineligible player can be involved with the team at all. A redshirt can practice, etc. can an academically ineligible player? I'm not sure it matters, as "not playing to focus on academics" doesn't really sound like he's going to be practicing (would kind of defeat the purpose I think). But if the coaches set academic goals and if he meets them, can he attend a position group meeting, etc?

RootinFerDukes
July 11th, 2018, 06:39 PM

It’s not hard. I don’t know how any athlete struggles with it. Universities set their athletic programs up to make it almost impossible to not pass. I can’t imagine there is an AD out there that doesn’t have tutors specifically for athletes. I can’t imagine there isn’t a program that doesn’t have a required “study group” time during the week for athletes (freshman and then upper classmen that are at risk).

How?

He’s probably not even showing up for tests and getting zeros. Some of the professors aren’t willing to fudge his grades, etc.

JALMOND
July 12th, 2018, 04:35 AM
From Greg Rachac of the Billings Gazette and 406sports.

http://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/montana-state-university/montana-state-quarterback-chris-murray-to-miss-season-due-to/article_5d079038-d2b9-5ae2-8166-6313f71cf6c9.html

Go Green
July 12th, 2018, 05:19 AM
He’s probably not even showing up for tests and getting zeros.

That would be an example of the "maturity" thing I mentioned earlier.

:)

ursus arctos horribilis
July 12th, 2018, 12:52 PM
Well, I assume Gresch has a new spot to look at for continuing his career now.

F'N Hawks
July 12th, 2018, 01:47 PM
Well, I assume Gresch has a new spot to look at for continuing his career now.

has he really not found a home yet? huh

ursus arctos horribilis
July 12th, 2018, 01:53 PM
has he really not found a home yet? huh

I haven't seen anything on it if he has. Definitely odd to me as well.

mvemjsunpx
July 12th, 2018, 06:59 PM

If you don't play in a season, it automatically counts as a redshirt year (I guess you can even play some now and still get one) as long as you haven't redshirted previously.

There might be paperwork involved, but I'm guessing it's just a formality.

VandalBasher
July 12th, 2018, 08:00 PM
This situation only adds to the brawl that will still take place. It will be one of the best in-conference games in all of FCS.

WeAreThePride
July 12th, 2018, 09:53 PM
This situation only adds to the brawl that will still take place. It will be one of the best in-conference games in all of FCS.
A first time FCS team vs an option team with no QB?

That seems a bit of a reach...

srgrizizen
July 18th, 2018, 06:37 PM

In my opinion, he will play if eligible, but never again at QB. WR or RB, maybe, but the Cats will find a real QB who can throw a football before Murray gets back.