PDA

View Full Version : Central Connecticut to play at Western Michigan

aceinthehole
March 9th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Its official - CCSU wil play its first FBS team! Its also a first for a Northeast Conference school.

WMU is coming off a Bowl apperance. Great job CCSU!

http://www.wmubroncos.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=24299&SPID=1922&DB_OEM_ID=4600&ATCLID=811614

WMU will also face Central Connecticut State, a Division 1-AA program out of the Northeast Conference. The Blue Devils went 8-3 overall with a 4-3 mark in the NEC. The Broncos will welcome CCSU to Waldo Stadium on Sept. 22.

Cobblestone
March 9th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Congrats to you guys, now go up there and do the FCS (I-AA) proud. BTW, how do you guys like McInerney? He was our DC for a couple of years.

BobbyMo
March 9th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Best of luck to you devils. Do the FCS and NEC proud.

rmutv
March 9th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Wow, what a coup for CCSU! Heck, I'd be happy with Robert Morris playing some better FCS teams, let alone an FBS!

BobbyMo
March 9th, 2007, 09:03 PM
I am very excited about the NEC schedules this year. From what I have seen, it only looks like two lower division games. Though, I guess SFPA does not have their schedule up yet.

1. Sacred Heart playing Assumption
2. CCSU playing Southern Connecticut State

More importantly, many schools have really scheduled up. Albany (they usually play a good schedule) is playing a great OOC line up including Montana, Hofstra, Gate and Fordham. CCSU with Towson and WMU. Monmouth playing Maine and Delaware.

RMU has been scheduled down a lot in the past, and I am glad they have stepped up (relatively) and are only playing FCS.

I think this can be a big year for the NEC, and I really wish everyone the best of luck (even Duquesne except on September 8th ;) ). Hopefully we can collectively make some more waves in the FCS.

Uncle Buck
March 10th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Great job CCSU, excellent opportunity for the kids and the program.

TexasTerror
March 10th, 2007, 08:33 AM
How'd CCSU pull this off? They don't count as a 'counter', do they? Western Michigan must've really been a pickle...

seahawkfan2007
March 10th, 2007, 09:29 AM
I wish CCSU the best vs. WMU. Not too many folks thought CCSU would beat Ga. Southern last year and while this is much bigger step, it's a very interesting match-up . I wish WC would see the wisdom in scheduling better OOC FCS schools. Better competition=better players=better program. Based on thier 07' schedules, CCSU,Albany and Monmouth could make a ligitiamte argument for being in the playoffs even with one loss.

March 10th, 2007, 07:04 PM
How'd CCSU pull this off? They don't count as a 'counter', do they? Western Michigan must've really been a pickle...No, they do not count for bowl eligibility.

GO BLUE DEVILS! :hurray:

TexasTerror
March 10th, 2007, 07:07 PM
No, they do not count for bowl eligibility.

Western Michigan fans can not be too thrilled about that, but they probably had no other options...

CCSU gets very lucky with this one and a payday that they probably were not expecting...

Model Citizen
March 10th, 2007, 07:37 PM
How much $ is Central Connecticut getting?

seahawkfan2007
March 10th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Pretty sure WMU needs to win 7 games (assumming a 12 game schedule) to be bowl qualified and can count one 1-AA win towards the seven. NCAA bylaw 30.9

Seawolf97
March 10th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Its a big step but I think it should be great for their program.

TexasTerror
March 10th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Pretty sure WMU needs to win 7 games (assumming a 12 game schedule) to be bowl qualified and can count one 1-AA win towards the seven. NCAA bylaw 30.9

Nope...WMU can not count CCSU as a FCS game towards bowl eligibility. CCSU does not meet the requirements regarding scholarships. They do not count as a 'counter' for FBS teams looking to get bowl eligible. Ralph acknowledged as much...

It's what kept Prairie View A&M from playing against the Univ of Houston a few years ago (allowing SHSU to take that spot) and why I'm saying CCSU really lucked out. This is a first, if I'm not mistaken outside of New Mexico St's scheduling two FCS schools last year (TxSo and SELA)...

YaleFootballFan
March 10th, 2007, 09:24 PM
What a week for CCSU athletics. First an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament for the NEC Champion Men's Basketball team and now the football team is set to play WMU in Klamzoo. Way to go, Blue Devils.

seahawkfan2007
March 10th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Right about CCSU not meeting the scholarship requirements (they only provide 30 per NEC rules). Essentially, WMU can't lose more than 5 to qualify for a bowl and it really makes no difference if their 7th win is against a "counter" or not. The risk for WMU is a loss to CCSU. Then they need to win 7 vs. the rest of their schedule. Anyway, this matchup is what makes CFB so interesting.

bulldog10jw
March 10th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Its official - CCSU wil play its first FBS team! Its also a first for a Northeast Conference school.

WMU is coming off a Bowl apperance. Great job CCSU!

http://www.wmubroncos.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=24299&SPID=1922&DB_OEM_ID=4600&ATCLID=811614

WMU will also face Central Connecticut State, a Division 1-AA program out of the Northeast Conference. The Blue Devils went 8-3 overall with a 4-3 mark in the NEC. The Broncos will welcome CCSU to Waldo Stadium on Sept. 22.

Best of luck. Are you going to try to attend the game?

JMG1MON
March 12th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Great job CCSU!!!! Good for all of FCS, especially for CCSU and the NEC!!!

aceinthehole
March 12th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Congrats to you guys, now go up there and do the FCS (I-AA) proud. BTW, how do you guys like McInerney? He was our DC for a couple of years.

McInerney is great! He has finally settled down (I think) and wants to build a program, not just a team. He is super high energy and the players and fans seem to love him.

aceinthehole
March 12th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Yes, everyone is right CCSU is not a "counter," but my understanding is that means very little. The "bowl eligible" wins only applies to at-large bowl opportunities, like the BCS or other at-large bowl spots.

Fact is if WMU wins the MAC they get their "auto-bid" to the MAC bowl spot. A win (or loss) vs. CCSU is meaningless to their realistic bowl chances.

I think the MAC only has 2 bowl tie-ins and so if WMU wins the conference or finishes #2 they get in a bowl game no matter what they do vs. their OOC schedule.

WMU needed a home game and I think CCSU will get around $150k.

aceinthehole
March 12th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Best of luck. Are you going to try to attend the game?

I may :)

JMG1MON
March 12th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Yes, everyone is right CCSU is not a "counter," but my understanding is that means very little. The "bowl eligible" wins only applies to at-large bowl opportunities, like the BCS or other at-large bowl spots.

Fact is if WMU wins the MAC they get their "auto-bid" to the MAC bowl spot. A win (or loss) vs. CCSU is meaningless to their realistic bowl chances.

I think the MAC only has 2 bowl tie-ins and so if WMU wins the conference or finishes #2 they get in a bowl game no matter what they do vs. their OOC schedule.

WMU needed a home game and I think CCSU will get around $150k.

Not entirely true. You still have to be bowl eligible in order to play in a bowl, even a conference tie-in. In order to be bowl eligible, you need to be .500 or better. In Western Michigan's case now, you would have to be 7-5, not just 6-6 in order to be bowl eligible. At 6-6, with one of the wins being CCSU, means they are only 5-6 against teams that count towards bowl eligibility. Therefore, they are not eligible. There are only 2 or 3 at large bowl bids. All of the rest have tie-ins. If a single conference cannot fill its alotted bowl bids, then they become at large bids.

While I am thrilled you guys are playing and pray that you beat them or give them a game at least, I do not understand this game at all on WMU's part.

aceinthehole
March 12th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Not entirely true. You still have to be bowl eligible in order to play in a bowl, even a conference tie-in. In order to be bowl eligible, you need to be .500 or better. In Western Michigan's case now, you would have to be 7-5, not just 6-6 in order to be bowl eligible. At 6-6, with one of the wins being CCSU, means they are only 5-6 against teams that count towards bowl eligibility. Therefore, they are not eligible. There are only 2 or 3 at large bowl bids. All of the rest have tie-ins. If a single conference cannot fill its alotted bowl bids, then they become at large bids.

While I am thrilled you guys are playing and pray that you beat them or give them a game at least, I do not understand this game at all on WMU's part.

Yes, you're probably are right technically, but I think the point is moot becasue they can't win the MAC (and a bowl bid) with less than 7 wins anyway.

My point was in a conference with only 2 bowl tie-ins, they need a great conference record of 6 wins (including a 13th game for the MAC Championship) to get the Bowl spot, making all OOC games practically irrelevant.

I just don't think WMU would have scheduled us if it was really going to stop their chances at a bowl. They must have some idea what they're doing (although like most on this board I'm not sure what).