PDA

View Full Version : Reasons Why NDSU Will Win It Again

SU DOG
July 5th, 2018, 10:19 PM
https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2018-07-05/3-reasons-why-north-dakota-state-football-will-win-fcs-championship

dewey
July 5th, 2018, 11:42 PM
Here is one thing that is inaccurate.

3. Home sweet home in the Fargodome
North Dakota State has gone 58-5 over the past seven years in the Fargodome, and have won 59 of their last 61 nonconference matchups at home. In 23 playoff games at home during this span, the Bison are 20-3.

The Bison have only lost one playoff game in the Fargodome (James Madison 2016).

List of wins per year in the Fargodome
2010 Robert Morris
2011 James Madison, Lehigh, Georgia Southern
2012 South Dakota State, Wofford, Georgia Southern
2013 Furman, Coastal Carolina, New Hampshire
2014 South Dakota State, Coastal Carolina, Sam Houston State
2015 Montana, Northern Iowa, Richmond
2016 San Diego, South Dakota State
2017 San Diego, Wofford, Sam Houston State

21-1 in 8 years at the Fargodome during the playoffs.

The Bison are 28-2 in the FCS playoffs.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Dakota_State_Bison_football

Dewey

WeAreThePride
July 6th, 2018, 12:25 AM
Hail the Bison. Can’t remember if it was posted here or on Bisonville, but Vegas has NDSU favored against the field to win the ‘18 Natty.

CappinHard
July 6th, 2018, 12:36 AM
https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2018-07-05/3-reasons-why-north-dakota-state-football-will-win-fcs-championship

https://media0.giphy.com/media/kEuehzXptELHG/giphy.gif

PaladinFan
July 6th, 2018, 06:15 AM
At some point, you just have to find teams that will go in there and destory some of the mystique (sounds simple, doesn't it?)

This isn't without precedent. The SoCon had two pretty close comps. App State had a 30 game home winstreak at KBS until GSU went in there and beat them in 2007. Richmond beat them in the post season the next year at the Rock. By 2009 they were playing on the road in the post-season (despite being a top 5 team). Everyone knew App was much more manageable on the road.

GSU was undefeated at home in the post season (27-0) until Furman knocked them off in the 2001 semis. Paulson Stadium was a tremendously intimidating venue against a big physical team. Furman just took away that veil of invincibility in one afternoon.

It'll be hard to dislodge NDSU out of Fargo in 2018. They have 7 home games, don't play on the road until October, and play no FBS teams. Thus, odds are they will need to lose twice to FCS teams to not be a top seed (with homefield advantage). That's a tall order, but that's how you start eroding the dominance. Win in Fargo in the regular season and force them to go on the road in the post season.

TheKingpin28
July 6th, 2018, 09:18 AM
Hail the Bison. Can’t remember if it was posted here or on Bisonville, but Vegas has NDSU favored against the field to win the ‘18 Natty.I saw it over there. The odds were cracking me up since it made financially more sense to bet on the field than NDSU, but I'd still take NDSU this year over any other team. This team has a good chance of being better than the 2013 team, and that team, IMO, is the pinnacle of FCS football. (Yes I know about Marshall)

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

dewey
July 6th, 2018, 09:28 AM
At some point, you just have to find teams that will go in there and destory some of the mystique (sounds simple, doesn't it?)

This isn't without precedent. The SoCon had two pretty close comps. App State had a 30 game home winstreak at KBS until GSU went in there and beat them in 2007. Richmond beat them in the post season the next year at the Rock. By 2009 they were playing on the road in the post-season (despite being a top 5 team). Everyone knew App was much more manageable on the road.

GSU was undefeated at home in the post season (27-0) until Furman knocked them off in the 2001 semis. Paulson Stadium was a tremendously intimidating venue against a big physical team. Furman just took away that veil of invincibility in one afternoon.

It'll be hard to dislodge NDSU out of Fargo in 2018. They have 7 home games, don't play on the road until October, and play no FBS teams. Thus, odds are they will need to lose twice to FCS teams to not be a top seed (with homefield advantage). That's a tall order, but that's how you start eroding the dominance. Win in Fargo in the regular season and force them to go on the road in the post season.

The crazy thing is that there were a handful of teams during the run that could have beaten NDSU in Fargo during the playoffs (i.e. Wofford in 2012, GSU in 2012, SDSU in 2014) and of course JMU did in 2016.

Dewey

VandalBasher
July 6th, 2018, 10:06 AM
I completely agree with the optimism of every NDSU fan. The street cred is earned.

I just think the writing is lazy. I am certain any recent college football fan could write an argumentative article on why Ohio State, Clemson or Alabama is going to win the Natty. Maybe, I will write a blog on Mount Union and their run to a championship. Lazy.

For the record, I was quietly cheering on every single win against FBS teams the Bison had. Good stuff.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 6th, 2018, 10:17 AM
The crazy thing is that there were a handful of teams during the run that could have beaten NDSU in Fargo during the playoffs (i.e. Wofford in 2012, GSU in 2012, SDSU in 2014) and of course JMU did in 2016.

Dewey

Wofford's score in '12 was a pick 6. They, or should I said Breitenstein, was the offense. Red zone defense for the Bison was outstanding.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 6th, 2018, 10:19 AM

At this level (FCS), NDSU will consistently be a top 10 team annually IMO.

F'N Hawks
July 6th, 2018, 11:13 AM
I saw it over there. The odds were cracking me up since it made financially more sense to bet on the field than NDSU, but I'd still take NDSU this year over any other team. This team has a good chance of being better than the 2013 team, and that team, IMO, is the pinnacle of FCS football. (Yes I know about Marshall)

You're not going to get -150 in the National Championship game unless a team like JMU runs the table. So it actually is good value right now.

JacksFan40
July 6th, 2018, 11:25 AM

Dewey
That 2014 playoff game was awesome, one of the best games I’ve watched SDSU in a while, had me on the edge of my seat all game. That was a heartbreaking loss.

TheKingpin28
July 6th, 2018, 11:36 AM
You're not going to get -150 in the National Championship game unless a team like JMU runs the table. So it actually is good value right now.

Which is why I said it was cracking me up. Those odds are solid for NDSU. The field has better odds than JMU which is slightly shocking.

FCS Champion lines from 5Dimes.

North Dakota State wins FCS Champ -150
Field +110
James Madison wins FCS Champ +220
South Dakota State wins FCS Champ +700
Weber State wins FCS Champ +2000
Kennesaw State wins FCS Champ +2500
Sam Houston State wins FCS Champ +2500
Jacksonville State wins FCS Champ +2500
Eastern Washington wins FCS Champ +4000
New Hampshire wins FCS Champ +4000

I am not a betting man that wins, ask Thumper about my losses, but it is hard to not consider this. NDSU has great betting value right now though.

Redbird 4th & short
July 6th, 2018, 11:48 AM
That 2014 playoff game was awesome, one of the best games I’ve watched SDSU in a while, had me on the edge of my seat all game. That was a heartbreaking loss.

I can't forget the 2014 Natty ... My ISUr took the lead with 1:38 left in game. On ensuing drive, NDSU was 3rd and 10 on our 38 with just 57 seconds left ... only to give up 33 yard pass play on a ball where we hit Wentz as he released the ball causing it to be well underthrown rendering our DB useless with back to ball, as your WR had to stop and came back to make catch at our 5. Wentz scored next play with just 37 seconds left.

3rd and 10 at ILS38
- Carson Wentz pass complete to RJ Urzendowski for 33 yards to the ILS5, 1ST DOWN NDSU (GLASS,Drashane).

TheKingpin28
July 6th, 2018, 11:56 AM
I can't forget the 2014 Natty ... My ISUr took the lead with 1:38 left in game. On ensuing drive, NDSU was 3rd and 10 on our 38 with just 57 seconds left ... only to give up 33 yard pass play on a ball where we hit Wentz as he released the ball causing it to be well underthrown rendering our DB useless with back to ball, as your WR had to stop and came back to make catch at our 5. Wentz scored next play with just 37 seconds left.

3rd and 10 at ILS38
- Carson Wentz pass complete to RJ Urzendowski for 33 yards to the ILS5, 1ST DOWN NDSU (GLASS,Drashane).

I'm pretty sure he is a bunny supporter, not a Bison supporter. xeyebrowx

POD Knows
July 6th, 2018, 12:03 PM

3rd and 10 at ILS38

Yea, we scored with :37 left and you guys were still in the ball game, NDSU needed a game ending interception to sew it up. I told my wife when NDSU scored that they scored too early.

NDSUtk
July 6th, 2018, 12:13 PM

3rd and 10 at ILS38

I had aisle seats this year and across the aisle started the ISUr sections. There was a guy in his late 50s early 60s who just went crazy swearing at us and cocking off when you went ahead. I just told him there was plenty of game left. We scored and by the time I finished high fives around our section he had already taken off for the parking lot LOL.

caribbeanhen
July 6th, 2018, 12:37 PM
because they have top 25 FBS talent .... no chance FCS....

dewey
July 6th, 2018, 12:49 PM
because they have top 25 FBS talent .... no chance FCS....

So does JMU however.

Dewey

IBleedYellow
July 6th, 2018, 12:50 PM
So does JMU however.

Dewey

In fact, JMU has even more than us!

dewey
July 6th, 2018, 12:50 PM

3rd and 10 at ILS38

Short of my kids winning a state championship in something that will be the greatest game i have ever seen. So many ups and downs for both teams.

Dewey

IBleedYellow
July 6th, 2018, 01:12 PM
At this level (FCS), NDSU will consistently be a top 10 team annually IMO.Should***

Nothing is guaranteed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Redbird 4th & short
July 6th, 2018, 01:16 PM
I'm pretty sure he is a bunny supporter, not a Bison supporter. xeyebrowx

It's called, commiserating.

TheKingpin28
July 6th, 2018, 01:26 PM
It's called, commiserating.2016 is whay commiserating feels like.

Redbird 4th & short
July 6th, 2018, 01:29 PM
Short of my kids winning a state championship in something that will be the greatest game i have ever seen. So many ups and downs for both teams.

Dewey

Have to agree it was a thoroughly enjoyable game .. I thought both teams played well, and officials for most part were unnoticeable. But it was very tough to get that close and have it slip away from us.

katss07
July 6th, 2018, 04:19 PM
Just a quick fun fact: Sam has a better home playoff record than NDSU.

No_Skill
July 6th, 2018, 05:25 PM

True...it's a shame we can't play Sam in every playoff game. Our record would be better. :D

IBleedYellow
July 6th, 2018, 05:25 PM
Just a quick fun fact: Sam has a better home playoff record than NDSU.Record, or win percentage?

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 6th, 2018, 05:43 PM
Should***

Nothing is guaranteed.

With how NDSU supports football and the fan support, for me anyway, this program at this level, will always be a playoff contender. Winning the title every year? No, that is unrealistic but making the playoffs annually.....you bet!

DFW HOYA
July 6th, 2018, 08:37 PM
At this level (FCS), NDSU will consistently be a top 10 team annually IMO.

Remember, that's what Montana said. And Delaware. And Youngstown State...

cx500d
July 6th, 2018, 08:53 PM
I had aisle seats this year and across the aisle started the ISUr sections. There was a guy in his late 50s early 60s who just went crazy swearing at us and cocking off when you went ahead. I just told him there was plenty of game left. We scored and by the time I finished high fives around our section he had already taken off for the parking lot LOL.

I was on the aisle next to isur also. There was an obnoxious isur student across the aisle that we nicknamed “middle finger guy” for good reason. Every time isur had a good play or score, he would turn and face us and give us the double middle finger and sweep back and forth for effect. Luckily we had the last laugh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bisonoline
July 6th, 2018, 09:47 PM
I was on the aisle next to isur also. There was an obnoxious isur student across the aisle that we nicknamed “middle finger guy” for good reason. Every time isur had a good play or score, he would turn and face us and give us the double middle finger and sweep back and forth for effect. Luckily we had the last laugh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They were a strange group. Couldnt get any of their fans to willfully join us at tailgate. We had to literally drag a few of their fans in as they walked by. Weird.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 6th, 2018, 09:49 PM
Remember, that's what Montana said. And Delaware. And Youngstown State...

xlolx

The rest of you bottom dwellers in the FCS can only hope.....

caribbeanhen
July 7th, 2018, 06:11 AM
So does JMU however.

Dewey

I would say pretty close, North Carolina State will tell us if JMU is a top 25 FBS team as JMU is reloading a bit

Derby City Duke
July 7th, 2018, 01:22 PM
I would say pretty close, North Carolina State will tell us if JMU is a top 25 FBS team as JMU is reloading a bit

Glad so many of you think this will be a close game...I just don't see it at this point.

NDSU should win it all this year. They will contend until they either really whiff recruiting for a couple years or they have huge upheaval in the coaching ranks that require them to bring in a completely new staff with new philisophies.

Heck, I'm even tempted to bet them at -150. xthumbsupx

dewey
July 7th, 2018, 02:48 PM
I took an NDSU vs the field bet last year and this is what I got.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180707/c00aedefd32da1bc89d0996c5049e477.jpg

This year the other guy wants a lot of points...not going to happen.

Dewey

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

nodak651
July 7th, 2018, 04:50 PM
This thread sucks. :(

WeAreThePride
July 7th, 2018, 06:59 PM
Disagree!

cx500d
July 7th, 2018, 07:23 PM
Why don’t we start a thread call “Reasons why und sucks” - could become the longest thread eva

gregatim
July 7th, 2018, 09:13 PM
Glad so many of you think this will be a close game...I just don't see it at this point.

NDSU should win it all this year. They will contend until they either really whiff recruiting for a couple years or they have huge upheaval in the coaching ranks that require them to bring in a completely new staff with new philisophies.

lol, hell, that's a win/win hedge bet for you. Even if you lose the bet, JMU is likely to win it if NDSU doesn't.

TheKingpin28
July 7th, 2018, 09:46 PM
Why don’t we start a thread call “Reasons why GFCC sucks” - could become the longest thread eva

FYP

caribbeanhen
July 8th, 2018, 06:29 AM

I was actually agreeing with Dewey who mentioned JMU as having close to top 25 FBS talent, no prediction yet on the JMU vs Wolfpack game.....

cx500d
July 8th, 2018, 08:25 AM
I was actually agreeing with Dewey who mentioned JMU as having close to top 25 FBS talent, no prediction yet on the JMU vs Wolfpack game.....

I’m hoping for a win over NC St. the ECU team last year was bad, this will establish JMU as a force to be reckoned with. Pretty soon they will be like NDSU and have trouble getting FBS to play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bisonnation
July 8th, 2018, 08:51 AM

Ndsu has actually been pretty good on the road. 33-3 since 2011. Losses at Montana, UNI, and SDSU. Wins over Iowa, Iowa State, Colorado State, Kansas State, and Minnesota. Games have certainly been more competitive on the road

TheKingpin28
July 8th, 2018, 10:49 AM
I’m hoping for a win over NC St. the ECU team last year was bad, this will establish JMU as a force to be reckoned with. Pretty soon they will be like NDSU and have trouble getting FBS to play

For me, the only difference is JMU wants to move to FBS and has serious consideration in doing it whereas NDSU knows the FCS is where we belong until the next major shakeup occurs in football.

Derby City Duke
July 8th, 2018, 12:38 PM
For me, the only difference is JMU wants to move to FBS and has serious consideration in doing it whereas NDSU knows the FCS is where we belong until the next major shakeup occurs in football.

I think a lot of the fan base would like to go FBS, but are convinced the school's administration doesn't want to move.

We are already beating out G5 and, in some cases, P5 schools for recruits (all but one of our current 2019 verbals carry 2-star or better recruiting rankiings -- yeah, I know those ratings are like opinions / buttholes, but it provides a starting point for discussion.

Everett 'Bring the Juice' / 'Party in Our End Zone' Withers took off for FBS (TxState, which stretches the definition of FBS); common discussion amongst the alumni was he was told the school was moving to FBS soon. His departure was certainly our gain.

The $64,000 question? Is there a great FBS landing spot for JMU? Options would be the SunBelt, C-USA, MAC, or AAC.

I think I like the drama and competition of the FCS playoffs much better than the G5 anonymity. With the exception of getting to see UConn WBB every year, there isn't a lot for the fanbase to get excited about in any sport.

BisonFan02
July 8th, 2018, 12:47 PM
I think a lot of the fan base would like to go FBS, but are convinced the school's administration doesn't want to move.

We are already beating out G5 and, in some cases, P5 schools for recruits (all but one of our current 2019 verbals carry 2-star or better recruiting rankiings -- yeah, I know those ratings are like opinions / buttholes, but it provides a starting point for discussion.

Everett 'Bring the Juice' / 'Party in Our End Zone' Withers took off for FBS (TxState, which stretches the definition of FBS); common discussion amongst the alumni was he was told the school was moving to FBS soon. His departure was certainly our gain.

The $64,000 question? Is there a great FBS landing spot for JMU? Options would be the SunBelt, C-USA, MAC, or AAC.

I think I like the drama and competition of the FCS playoffs much better than the G5 anonymity. With the exception of getting to see UConn WBB every year, there isn't a lot for the fanbase to get excited about in any sport.

How much more can you guys possibly subsidize through your students to make a move like that?

TheKingpin28
July 8th, 2018, 12:52 PM

There are always the radicals in every fan group but the FBS has nothing that I believe NDSU should want. Unless you're in the eSECpn (we all know how they stacked the deck to get an SEC team in every year if not 2), Pac 12, B1G or ACC (I left out the Big 12 since I do not believe they will get in over the other 4) conference, why bother playing? We all know it is about the money and ratings and outside of USC, U-Dubya, Oregon, Cal, OSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, PSU (even if they get screwed in favor of OSU), Clemson, FSU, Notre Dame xlolx, or the eSECpn; you will NOT get the chance to play for a title. You will, if you are damn lucky, get a New Year's Six bowl and that is great and all, but why would anyone want to participate in a Division that does not allow every conference to send a representative.

I know we rag on the NEC, PFL, PL, but each conference should get at least 1 team to try. Look at March Madness. Even those "no-name" conferences get a chance and sometimes they pull of the upset. We all know why the FBS/eSECpn will not allow this. They are afraid that a team like UCF, Boise St, might actually take down a big boy and that would cripple the viewing party/rating numbers for the "marquee match-ups". This is why the FCS is where I like NDSU. They have a chance every year to win the Title and if they do bad, they have no one to blame but themselves, unlike the FBS, where you have to hope and pray that the Disney Corporation (I know it is a "committee" but let's cut the bull**** and acknowledge that is a group of guys sitting around thinking about how much $$$ could be made, while ensuring Alabama gets in every year regardless of record or conference titles) has objectivity when it comes to their version of a national title/playoff, if you can even call it that.

Edit: Damn, BF02 beat me to that while I was typing this post.

Derby City Duke
July 8th, 2018, 04:43 PM
There are always the radicals in every fan group but the FBS has nothing that I believe NDSU should want. Unless you're in the eSECpn (we all know how they stacked the deck to get an SEC team in every year if not 2), Pac 12, B1G or ACC (I left out the Big 12 since I do not believe they will get in over the other 4) conference, why bother playing? We all know it is about the money and ratings and outside of USC, U-Dubya, Oregon, Cal, OSU, Michigan, Wisconsin, PSU (even if they get screwed in favor of OSU), Clemson, FSU, Notre Dame xlolx, or the eSECpn; you will NOT get the chance to play for a title. You will, if you are damn lucky, get a New Year's Six bowl and that is great and all, but why would anyone want to participate in a Division that does not allow every conference to send a representative.

I know we rag on the NEC, PFL, PL, but each conference should get at least 1 team to try. Look at March Madness. Even those "no-name" conferences get a chance and sometimes they pull of the upset. We all know why the FBS/eSECpn will not allow this. They are afraid that a team like UCF, Boise St, might actually take down a big boy and that would cripple the viewing party/rating numbers for the "marquee match-ups". This is why the FCS is where I like NDSU. They have a chance every year to win the Title and if they do bad, they have no one to blame but themselves, unlike the FBS, where you have to hope and pray that the Disney Corporation (I know it is a "committee" but let's cut the bull**** and acknowledge that is a group of guys sitting around thinking about how much $$$ could be made, while ensuring Alabama gets in every year regardless of record or conference titles) has objectivity when it comes to their version of a national title/playoff, if you can even call it that.

I'm not an economist so I'm truly not smart enough to parse every dollar and where it goes. I'm sure there were mandatory fees in college that went to things that I didn't even know existed, much less take advantage of as a student.

This is what I've figured out after doing some basic research:

-- The Cox bill, effective July 1, 2016, caps FCS football schools in Virginia with regard to % of athletics budget from student fees to 70%. Schools have until June 30, 2021 to meet that threshold. FBS schools are capped at 20%. Only Old Dominion is outside that threshold -- they have until June 30, 2026 to get there.

-- Virginia law prohibits state universities from using state monies toward their intercollegiate athletics programs.

JMU does not have a huge number of wealthy alumni, or a robust network of alums that can fund the athletic department through corporate/alumni/fundraising separate from the university (the University of Louisville has the UofLAA which runs the athletic department -- it is not part of the university. It also has had its issues over the past few years, primarily the function of a greedy president and lax administration -- some shady stuff, but the new president and foundation leadership are working to fix that crap).

Their current endowment sits at about $80 million, not nearly enough to assist. Those $$ should go to student academic pursuits...

Eventually JMU will have the requisite # of alumni who will figure out how to lower the reliance on student fees.

But...until moms and dads stop writing their checks to send little Johnnie and Janie to Harrisonburg, I expect JMU will meet the requirements of state law, get to 70%, and evaluate from there.

What does this mean? The AAC and MAC would be the only viable FBS options, and only if they have the same time period as ODU has to meet the 20% threshold.

Redbird 4th & short
July 9th, 2018, 09:05 AM

Regarding your comment about FCS playoff format with autobids. Big difference between Basketball's Marc Madness, where 68 teams get combination of at large and autobids ... I believe roughly half an half. Which mean tthere is virtually no way a top 25 or even a top 40 team will get left home for playoffs. In FCS, only 24 teams get bids and 10 (sometimes 11 ?) of them are autobids .. of which typically, 2 are bubble teams at best, and another 2 had no business being considered for playoffs at all .. sometimes more like in 2013 when several bad conferences got 2 teams. Then there is normal bubble team debate for teams that fall outside the top 16 say .. which means autobids are getting spots that shoud le going to top 20 and top 25 teams every year. I know some say so what .. I completely disagree .. with 24 team format, we should not have autobids.

centennial
July 9th, 2018, 09:09 AM
How much more can you guys possibly subsidize through your students to make a move like that?

They can't. This was discussed on BV. FBS has more funding requirements per state law. For all the JMU fans I see on these boards pretending they can move, they'll have to find an extra 10-15 million a year. Or go to 25 million in spending, and then they aren't that attractive anymore.

CappinHard
July 9th, 2018, 10:16 AM
Not sure if someone posted this article or not, but I'm curious if Weber, Sammy, or JSU fans feel slighted by this article including EWU instead of them.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2018-07-06/these-4-schools-could-end-north-dakota-states-fcs-dominance-2018

Honestly, I think the article might as well have only listed JMU and SDSU and been labeled "These 2 schools are the only ones that really have a chance to end North Dakota State's FCS dominance in 2018".

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 9th, 2018, 12:27 PM
Not sure if someone posted this article or not, but I'm curious if Weber, Sammy, or JSU fans feel slighted by this article including EWU instead of them.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/2018-07-06/these-4-schools-could-end-north-dakota-states-fcs-dominance-2018

Honestly, I think the article might as well have only listed JMU and SDSU and been labeled "These 2 schools are the only ones that really have a chance to end North Dakota State's FCS dominance in 2018".

To beat NDSU consistently, you better have a good defense.

AmsterBison
July 9th, 2018, 01:21 PM
Real reasons NDSU will win:

1. The defense is really good
2. The offense is really good
3. The special teams are adequate

Reasons NDSU might not win:

1. It only takes one "Any given Saturday" in the playoffs to end a run.
2. JMU or some other team is better
3. Injuries and/or solar flares

BisonFan02
July 9th, 2018, 01:24 PM
Real reasons NDSU will win:

1. The defense is really good
2. The offense is really good
3. The special teams are adequate

Reasons NDSU might not win:

1. It only takes one "Any given Saturday" in the playoffs to end a run.
2. JMU or some other team is better
3. Injuries and/or solar flares

NDSU is one QB injury away from being fairly average or 1 dimensional on offense....that would be a big deal. During the run, you had Wentz and Stick as backups (last year was risky as well especially with Davis being on the mend).

WeAreThePride
July 9th, 2018, 01:26 PM
24 teams is too many. Those last 4 in are pretty ****ty, and even outside the top 16 they don’t have a realistic shot at the title.

Professor Chaos
July 9th, 2018, 01:35 PM
24 teams is too many. Those last 4 in are pretty ****ty, and even outside the top 16 they don’t have a realistic shot at the title.
I'd go further and say outside of the 8 seeds no teams have a realistic shot at a title. It's one of the reasons why I don't agree that a 16 team field is any better than a 24 team field. It's the same setup for those top 8 (except they're all seeded - with the 16 team field only the top 4 were seeded) and none of them have to play on Thanksgiving weekend with a 24 team field.

dewey
July 9th, 2018, 01:49 PM
I'd go further and say outside of the 8 seeds no teams have a realistic shot at a title. It's one of the reasons why I don't agree that a 16 team field is any better than a 24 team field. It's the same setup for those top 8 (except they're all seeded - with the 16 team field only the top 4 were seeded) and none of them have to play on Thanksgiving weekend with a 24 team field.

I would agree with a 16 team playoffs system but a 8 team seems too low for cases like the 2010 NDSU, 2016 Youngstown State...perhaps there are more that I am not thinking of. I do like the idea of all of the conferences being in the tournament like March Madness.

Dewey

dewey
July 9th, 2018, 01:52 PM
NDSU is one QB injury away from being fairly average or 1 dimensional on offense....that would be a big deal. During the run, you had Wentz and Stick as backups (last year was risky as well especially with Davis being on the mend).

Hopefully Hotchkiss or Sanders will get plenty of game action early in the year. In 2015 we had heard that Stick was pretty good but had no game action and he turned out great because the D was amazing and NDSU got back to running the football and making the game easier for Stick. I think this years backup quarterback and coaches could do the same thing if Stick got hurt.

Dewey

WeAreThePride
July 9th, 2018, 06:01 PM
‘10 NDSU and ‘16 YSU were the ones I was thinking of. The top 16 teams are decent enough quality, to me, to win multiple playoff games.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 9th, 2018, 07:46 PM

With the defense being loaded and the OL very deep, I don't think NDSU would fall off a lot w/o Stick. Play action, screens, roll out pass/run options, short passing game.....the 2 RFR can handle that.

Lorne_Malvo
July 9th, 2018, 08:54 PM
With the defense being loaded and the OL very deep, I don't think NDSU would fall off a lot w/o Stick. Play action, screens, roll out pass/run options, short passing game.....the 2 RFR can handle that.

When is the last time NDSU had a bad QB?

TheKingpin28
July 9th, 2018, 09:08 PM
When is the last time NDSU had a bad QB?

Mohler/Mertens with the latter not always getting a fair shake-out of how things went.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 9th, 2018, 09:24 PM
Mohler/Mertens with the latter not always getting a fair shake-out of how things went.

Mertens was used wrong and was a good QB.

Mohler sucked.

TheKingpin28
July 9th, 2018, 09:35 PM
Mertens was used wrong and was a good QB.

Mohler sucked.

Which is why I stated about how he was not given a fair shake out.

Mohler was trash. Thank Bohl for recruiting some guy named Brock Jensen who would eventually become one of the most clutch players in all of college football ​as well as the one with most wins.

Winterborn
July 9th, 2018, 10:00 PM

Mohler was trash. Thank Bohl for recruiting some guy named Brock Jensen who would eventually become one of the most clutch players in all of college football ​as well as the one with most wins.

Brock Jensen was fun to watch. A game between him and Carson as QB's would of been highly entertaining.

TheKingpin28
July 9th, 2018, 10:09 PM
Brock Jensen was fun to watch. A game between him and Carson as QB's would of been highly entertaining.

If it was 4th and 3 and you need a TD to score, Brock was getting that ball and they knew it and could not stop it.

If you gave me 5th year senior Carson pre-wrist vs 5th year senior Brock using their respective starters, I think Brock would win due to the 13 defense just shredding the 15 offense and LeCompte/Keller would be a great ST duo.

JacksFan40
July 9th, 2018, 10:46 PM
So does SDSU, it doesn’t mean much.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 10th, 2018, 06:22 AM

Stick breaks that this year....xnodx

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 28th, 2018, 10:43 AM
I'll just piggyback this on this thread instead of starting a new one.

Bison guys jump in here and write what you think the strengths are to this team and weaknesses.

My 2$:

Strengths:

22 seniors -- leadership
RB depth
DL and DE depth
OL is deep and experienced
TE/FB depth
CB depth
Stick

Weaknesses:

WR depth -- need to step up as a group
LB depth -- Cox is a stud. Can Jordheim/Marlette return from injuries? Young guys need to step up.
Special teams -- Punter and a better deep kicker on kickoffs.
S -- replace FS

What did I miss?

Professor Chaos
July 28th, 2018, 12:24 PM
I'll throw a weird concept out there for most Bison fans and say the offense playing with tempo is a weakness. Their 2 minute offense was borderline horrendous last year and it's probably mostly due to the fact that they very rarely run it in a game situation. I'd like to see them kick up the tempo and go no huddle maybe about once a game just in the middle of a quarter. That's not to say they have to sling it around every play, they can still run the ball as often as they normally would but I think getting the offense some game reps at tempo would really help if they need to convert in a two minute situation at some point throughout the year.

Southern Bison
July 28th, 2018, 03:14 PM
I'll throw a weird concept out there for most Bison fans and say the offense playing with tempo is a weakness. Their 2 minute offense was borderline horrendous last year and it's probably mostly due to the fact that they very rarely run it in a game situation. I'd like to see them kick up the tempo and go no huddle maybe about once a game just in the middle of a quarter. That's not to say they have to sling it around every play, they can still run the ball as often as they normally would but I think getting the offense some game reps at tempo would really help if they need to convert in a two minute situation at some point throughout the year.Wise insight. In the cases that it was needed last year, the coaching staff seemed to be the ones dropping the ball.

BisonFan02
July 28th, 2018, 09:19 PM
This year's redshirt seniors are the last of the "Bohl era" technically from a recruitment standpoint.....something to watch.

JSUSoutherner
July 28th, 2018, 09:25 PM
This year's redshirt seniors are the last of the "Bohl era" technically from a recruitment standpoint.....something to watch.

NDSU sux

BisonFan02
July 28th, 2018, 09:28 PM
NDSU sux

weak sauce saxy...... xlolx

JSUSoutherner
July 28th, 2018, 09:29 PM
weak sauce saxy...... xlolx
It'll work... Watch.

Bisonoline
July 28th, 2018, 10:01 PM
I'll throw a weird concept out there for most Bison fans and say the offense playing with tempo is a weakness. Their 2 minute offense was borderline horrendous last year and it's probably mostly due to the fact that they very rarely run it in a game situation. I'd like to see them kick up the tempo and go no huddle maybe about once a game just in the middle of a quarter. That's not to say they have to sling it around every play, they can still run the ball as often as they normally would but I think getting the offense some game reps at tempo would really help if they need to convert in a two minute situation at some point throughout the year.

To be truthful I really question whether we have a 2 minute offense or not.

CappinHard
July 28th, 2018, 10:32 PM
I'll throw a weird concept out there for most Bison fans and say the offense playing with tempo is a weakness. Their 2 minute offense was borderline horrendous last year and it's probably mostly due to the fact that they very rarely run it in a game situation.

Or... Hear me out here, the failure of the 2 minute offense could have been due to the fact that they had to throw the ball and when the other team knows they're throwing it, they didn't have much success because Stick just isn't that good. xcoffeex

Derby City Duke
July 28th, 2018, 10:48 PM
The last two years a lot of it has been driven by the fact that their WRs have difficulty getting separation. The biggest plays the Bison have had in the 2 games against us came from their RBs, not the WRs -- and a busted coverage beat us in Frisco. In the '16 semi-final, they were down 2 scores w/6 minutes left and huddled every play. Didn't look like they could play tempo.

Just my observations.

In their defense, when you're rarely down by more than a score, tempo isn't something you bulid into your gameplan -- if it ain't broke, don't fix it, I guess.

Lehigh'98
July 29th, 2018, 06:44 AM
This will be the most anticlimatic season since 2013. I doubt anyone from the MVFC troubles them unless they lose one game they completely overlook. JMU will probably be only one that isn't more than 14 point underdogs.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 29th, 2018, 07:01 AM
Wise insight. In the cases that it was needed last year, the coaching staff seemed to be the ones dropping the ball.

This here. I bet the players wouldn't have much trouble doing it but the coaching staff seems confused when it is needed.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 29th, 2018, 07:04 AM
The last two years a lot of it has been driven by the fact that their WRs have difficulty getting separation. The biggest plays the Bison have had in the 2 games against us came from their RBs, not the WRs -- and a busted coverage beat us in Frisco. In the '16 semi-final, they were down 2 scores w/6 minutes left and huddled every play. Didn't look like they could play tempo.

Just my observations.

In their defense, when you're rarely down by more than a score, tempo isn't something you bulid into your gameplan -- if it ain't broke, don't fix it, I guess.

Agree on the WR part but granted, JMU has had some really good CBs the last couple of years. Watching the SHSU game in '16, they completely shut down the Sammy passing attack but the refs did let a lot of physical play happen in the secondary.

- - - Updated - - -

Or... Hear me out here, the failure of the 2 minute offense could have been due to the fact that they had to throw the ball and when the other team knows they're throwing it, they didn't have much success because Stick just isn't that good. xcoffeex

Probably should bench him this year.

Professor Chaos
July 29th, 2018, 07:38 AM
I don't buy that because it's not like they went out there in the few 2 minute situations they were in last year and threw 3 quick incompletions and had to punt. Stick is accurate and he's damn smart. He does a lot of checks at the line just like Carson Wentz did. He's got the goods to run the two minute offense they just don't (or won't) turn him loose to do it. Klieman is ultra conservative in those situations which plays a big part in it as well.

dewey
July 29th, 2018, 07:42 AM
I don't buy that because it's not like they went out there in the few 2 minute situations they were in last year and threw 3 quick incompletions and had to punt. Stick is accurate and he's damn smart. He does a lot of checks at the line just like Carson Wentz did. He's got the goods to run the two minute offense they just don't (or won't) turn him loose to do it. Klieman is ultra conservative in those situations which plays a big part in it as well.

Very well said PC. Stick isn't very good...LOL! He had 2 bad games (UNI & SDSU) last year and was great in the playoffs.

Stick is on Craig Haleys Payton award watch list and should be an All American this year barring injury.

Dewey

TheKingpin28
July 29th, 2018, 10:53 AM
This will be the most anticlimatic season since 2013. I doubt anyone from the MVFC troubles them unless they lose one game they completely overlook. JMU will probably be only one that isn't more than 14 point underdogs.

NDSU loses a game every year they "shouldn't" lose. Back to back UNI and WIU on the road spells trouble for this team and a Farley led team at UNI is always a slugfest, unless Farley decides to step on his own dick and not get out of his own way. Plus, for some reason, NDSU has always had trouble at Hanson Field against WIU.

Thumper 76
July 29th, 2018, 11:28 AM
NDSU loses a game every year they "shouldn't" lose. Back to back UNI and WIU on the road spells trouble for this team and a Farley led team at UNI is always a slugfest, unless Farley decides to step on his own dick and not get out of his own way. Plus, for some reason, NDSU has always had trouble at Hanson Field against WIU.

The last two years don’t qualify. Those games weren’t “let downs” to lower MVFC teams. They were a rivalry game against a highly ranked team.

AmsterBison
July 29th, 2018, 11:59 AM

Funny, that's the impression I have too even though I know that NDSU has never lost at Hanson field (unfun fact: Home team in this series didn't win until 2015.)

I'm guessing it is because NDSU's offense has been mediocre to bad at WIU (credit to WIU's defense though.)

TheKingpin28
July 29th, 2018, 12:04 PM
Funny, that's the impression I have too even though I know that NDSU has never lost at Hanson field (unfun fact: Home team in this series didn't win until 2015.)

I'm guessing it is because NDSU's offense has been mediocre to bad at WIU (credit to WIU's defense though.)Something about being in the middle of nowhere must have something to do with it.

caribbeanhen
July 29th, 2018, 12:27 PM
Something about being in the middle of nowhere must have something to do with it.

Now this is irony at it's best

uni88
July 29th, 2018, 12:52 PM
Something about being in the middle of nowhere must have something to do with it.

Sent from my SM-J727V using TapatalkBut WIU has been able to overcome that and have some success in Fargo? :D

TheKingpin28
July 29th, 2018, 01:04 PM
But WIU has been able to overcome that and have some success in Fargo? :DThat was the joke

Thumper 76
July 29th, 2018, 10:53 PM
Now this is irony at it's best

WIU makes everywhere else in the conference look easy to get to, and that’s no joke.

IBleedYellow
July 30th, 2018, 09:10 AM

Just my observations.

Let it be known that out-scheming someone is now known to have "busted coverage." We hid our routes and your guy was 3 steps behind because of that. He got burned.

Bisonoline
July 30th, 2018, 09:51 AM

Just my observations.

That play was designed to do exactly that.

clenz
July 30th, 2018, 10:01 AM
WIU makes everywhere else in the conference look easy to get to, and that’s no joke.

Yup.

Not like any MVFC City is destination but there are 3 places that are levels below the rest of the conference when it comes to being difficult to play in the road there. WIU, USD and ISUb. What makes it hard considering most years those teams are average of well below?

WIU:
1. Impossible to get there. WIU is literally a blip in the middle of no where. A couple hours to the nearest air port a team could fly into.
2. A tiny blip in the middle of hundreds of miles of nothing
3. Stadium could hold up to 20000, but due to track and configuration the closest seats are probably 30+ yards off the field - and are what you’d see at any local high school.
4. Might hold a ton of people but there are games where the WIU band has more people in the stands than fans there to see the game. It’s vast nothingness around the field.
5. Facilities aren’t great. Last game I went too I parked and tailgated closer to the field that UNIs locker room. That’s not a joke. UNI walked through our tailgate to go through the only entrance gate to the field. I’m not sure the distance but call it over a quarter mile.

ISUb:
See WIU but it’s a one sided stadium that was a baseball stadium. It’s orientation is not N/S or E/W. It’s angled. It’s just, again, vast nothing. Playing in front of 7 people.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180730/fe2d019e9ecb15f4893109fc1f877185.jpeg

USD:
See WIU about how to get there. Teams stay over an hour away in Sioux City, or Sioux Falls, and bus to Vermillion on game day (again over and hour) because the town literally can’t accommodate hosting a visiting football team. The Dakotadome isn’t well lit and it’s quite small. It’s a half sized version of the UNIDome (literally. They hired the same company that built the UNIDome and told them to built that but half the capacity and smaller footprint). Unlike UNI, who has “things to see” on the ends, USD just has massive black curtains draped down. It’s not easy to adjust too.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180730/587fb262f284309bf95e7d6fe1622b3d.jpeg

POD Knows
July 30th, 2018, 10:21 AM
Yup.

Not like any MVFC City is destination but there are 3 places that are levels below the rest of the conference when it comes to being difficult to play in the road there. WIU, USD and ISUb. What makes it hard considering most years those teams are average of well below?

WIU:
1. Impossible to get there. WIU is literally a blip in the middle of no where. A couple hours to the nearest air port a team could fly into.
2. A tiny blip in the middle of hundreds of miles of nothing
3. Stadium could hold up to 20000, but due to track and configuration the closest seats are probably 30+ yards off the field - and are what you’d see at any local high school.
4. Might hold a ton of people but there are games where the WIU band has more people in the stands than fans there to see the game. It’s vast nothingness around the field.
5. Facilities aren’t great. Last game I went too I parked and tailgated closer to the field that UNIs locker room. That’s not a joke. UNI walked through our tailgate to go through the only entrance gate to the field. I’m not sure the distance but call it over a quarter mile.

ISUb:
See WIU but it’s a one sided stadium that was a baseball stadium. It’s orientation is not N/S or E/W. It’s angled. It’s just, again, vast nothing. Playing in front of 7 people.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180730/fe2d019e9ecb15f4893109fc1f877185.jpeg

USD:
See WIU about how to get there. Teams stay over an hour away in Sioux City, or Sioux Falls, and bus to Vermillion on game day (again over and hour) because the town literally can’t accommodate hosting a visiting football team. The Dakotadome isn’t well lit and it’s quite small. It’s a half sized version of the UNIDome (literally. They hired the same company that built the UNIDome and told them to built that but half the capacity and smaller footprint). Unlike UNI, who has “things to see” on the ends, USD just has massive black curtains draped down. It’s not easy to adjust too.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180730/587fb262f284309bf95e7d6fe1622b3d.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkCarbondale is just as hard to get to, it is 2.5 hours from Lambert in St. Louis and I think that is the nearest major airport. The facilities are better than the one you listed but as far as getting to it, it is sort of a pain in the ass. WIU is a little over an hour from the airport in the Quad Cities if you drive as fast as Kingpin.

ST_Lawson
July 30th, 2018, 11:10 AM
It's the deafening silence, I tell you. Most teams aren't used to the loudest noises in the stadium being birds chirping and children rolling down the surrounding hillsides. Opponents walk into our stadium and think..."it's quiet....too quiet". It's very unnerving.

But WIU has been able to overcome that and have some success in Fargo? :D
I realize it's a joke, but just for reference...not since 2010. Last year wasn't really a blowout (lost by 12) either though.

Carbondale is just as hard to get to, it is 2.5 hours from Lambert in St. Louis and I think that is the nearest major airport. The facilities are better than the one you listed but as far as getting to it, it is sort of a pain in the ass. WIU is a little over an hour from the airport in the Quad Cities if you drive as fast as Kingpin.
Still hard for fans to get to, but at least the teams can charter a flight into Carbondale's airport. Can't do that in Macomb.

POD Knows
July 30th, 2018, 11:55 AM
It's the deafening silence, I tell you. Most teams aren't used to the loudest noises in the stadium being birds chirping and children rolling down the surrounding hillsides. Opponents walk into our stadium and think..."it's quiet....too quiet". It's very unnerving.

I realize it's a joke, but just for reference...not since 2010. Last year wasn't really a blowout (lost by 12) either though.

Still hard for fans to get to, but at least the teams can charter a flight into Carbondale's airport. Can't do that in Macomb.What is the largest plane the Macomb airport can handle, both towns are about the same size so I figured they would have similar airports but Macomb is a little close to the Quad Cities so I suppose an decent airport isn't that big of a deal

TheKingpin28
July 30th, 2018, 03:49 PM
Carbondale is just as hard to get to, it is 2.5 hours from Lambert in St. Louis and I think that is the nearest major airport. The facilities are better than the one you listed but as far as getting to it, it is sort of a pain in the ass. WIU is a little over an hour from the airport in the Quad Cities if you drive as fast as Kingpin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvV3nn_de2k

TheKingpin28
July 30th, 2018, 03:50 PM

Still hard for fans to get to, but at least the teams can charter a flight into Carbondale's airport. Can't do that in Macomb.

I still have to get there for a game. Something about being surrounded by the vast empty entertains me. xlolx

Derby City Duke
July 30th, 2018, 04:00 PM
Let it be known that out-scheming someone is now known to have "busted coverage." We hid our routes and your guy was 3 steps behind because of that. He got burned.

Outscheming? Ok but it's been no secret over the past 2 years that wheel routes work very well against the JMU defense given it's very aggressive nature. Sometimes the DBs cross themselves up and end up looking at each other saying "I thought you had that fast guy." It was the right call at the right point in the game. Good on the Bison coaching staff. Still a very entertaining game -- better team won that day.

ST_Lawson
July 30th, 2018, 04:08 PM
What is the largest plane the Macomb airport can handle, both towns are about the same size so I figured they would have similar airports but Macomb is a little close to the Quad Cities so I suppose an decent airport isn't that big of a deal

According to wikipedia, the airport in Carbondale has 3 asphalt runways with the largest just over 6.5k ft and it says it can handle up to and including a Boeing 757 with hangar space for up to and including a Gulfstream V.

Macomb has one paved runway with a length of 5.1k ft. I don't really know aircraft, but if you're wanting to land there with anything that actually has jet engines, you're probably limited to only a couple of the smaller private jets. Otherwise, you're flying in and out on something like this:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3855/14320121538_f43ceba93e_c.jpg

There's also Veterans Airport of Southern Illinois in Marion, IL, which is only about 15 minutes from SIU's campus and has daily flights to and from St. Louis.
Macomb's options are Burlington IA, about an hour away (daily flights to and from St. Louis, Chicago, and sometimes to Minneapolis...small planes though), or Peoria (https://www.flypia.com/) or Moline (http://www.qcairport.com/destination-map.html) which are both about 90 minutes away and do actually fly a few places.

Derby City Duke
July 30th, 2018, 04:19 PM
According to wikipedia, the airport in Carbondale has 3 asphalt runways with the largest just over 6.5k ft and it says it can handle up to and including a Boeing 757 with hangar space for up to and including a Gulfstream V.

Macomb has one paved runway with a length of 5.1k ft. I don't really know aircraft, but if you're wanting to land there with anything that actually has jet engines, you're probably limited to only a couple of the smaller private jets. Otherwise, you're flying in and out on something like this:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3855/14320121538_f43ceba93e_c.jpg

There's also Veterans Airport of Southern Illinois in Marion, IL, which is only about 15 minutes from SIU's campus and has daily flights to and from St. Louis.
Macomb's options are Burlington IA, about an hour away (daily flights to and from St. Louis, Chicago, and sometimes to Minneapolis...small planes though), or Peoria (https://www.flypia.com/) or Moline (http://www.qcairport.com/destination-map.html) which are both about 90 minutes away and do actually fly a few places.

5,100 feet? C-130 and the C-17 Globemaster III will fit nicely with room to spare. Just in case you need to shore up your defenses against any marauding bands of ne'er-do-wells...xdrunkyx

ST_Lawson
July 30th, 2018, 04:21 PM
5,100 feet? C-130 and the C-17 Globemaster III will fit nicely with room to spare. Just in case you need to shore up your defenses against any marauding bands of ne'er-do-wells...xdrunkyx

Well, sure...but I was going more for the commercial airline-aspect. We have had a few military aircraft in and out occasionally though.

Reign of Terrier
July 30th, 2018, 05:18 PM
I think a better, more interesting question about NDSU is whether or not their dynasty is accelerating.

When I say that I mean, no ****, they're going to compete for a national title. A better question is whether or not they are better than they were, say 3 years ago. I think the answer to that question is yes.

There are various reasons why NDSU is a head above everyone (except maybe JMU, but let's be real...). None of these reasons are an "excuse" or invalidate anything they've done, it's just a causal explanation. I put that caveat on there because every time someone tries to analyze why NDSU is consistently successful and playing at a high level, I get the vibe from NDSU fans like they're being disrespected. Far from it.

In my opinion, I think a number of factors have converged to create a virtuous cycle for the Bison (in recruiting, scheduling, culture, home field, and the list goes on), and it's going to be hard for anyone to topple them or even replicate that success.

Just using Wofford as an example of a team I know: I think last year's Wofford team was measurably better than the team in 2012, while the NDSU team was about the same (I remember splitting hairs with Professor Chaos about this) at least going into that game. I was reasonably confident that, given those numbers, Wofford would perform better, at least on the offensive end.

We all know that I was wrong. But I'm not saying this to remitigate what caused what (maybe we just had a bad scheme and a few key turnovers put it out of reach, whatever, it doesn't matter, I'm even skeptical of that explanation), but to point out that it seems playoff games are much less competitive than they used to be.

I know some the MVFC will say that the conference is tough, and it's no doubt the toughest in the FCS, with or without NDSU. But I'm honestly at the point where I just look at losses in conference for NDSU as statistical noise. Play enough games, and you'll lose one or two.

Right now the FCS is NDSU and everyone else. If you squint, you'll see JMU and a random Big Sky team on occasion.

Professor Chaos
July 30th, 2018, 08:34 PM
I think a better, more interesting question about NDSU is whether or not their dynasty is accelerating.

When I say that I mean, no ****, they're going to compete for a national title. A better question is whether or not they are better than they were, say 3 years ago. I think the answer to that question is yes.

There are various reasons why NDSU is a head above everyone (except maybe JMU, but let's be real...). None of these reasons are an "excuse" or invalidate anything they've done, it's just a causal explanation. I put that caveat on there because every time someone tries to analyze why NDSU is consistently successful and playing at a high level, I get the vibe from NDSU fans like they're being disrespected. Far from it.

In my opinion, I think a number of factors have converged to create a virtuous cycle for the Bison (in recruiting, scheduling, culture, home field, and the list goes on), and it's going to be hard for anyone to topple them or even replicate that success.

Just using Wofford as an example of a team I know: I think last year's Wofford team was measurably better than the team in 2012, while the NDSU team was about the same (I remember splitting hairs with Professor Chaos about this) at least going into that game. I was reasonably confident that, given those numbers, Wofford would perform better, at least on the offensive end.

We all know that I was wrong. But I'm not saying this to remitigate what caused what (maybe we just had a bad scheme and a few key turnovers put it out of reach, whatever, it doesn't matter, I'm even skeptical of that explanation), but to point out that it seems playoff games are much less competitive than they used to be.

I know some the MVFC will say that the conference is tough, and it's no doubt the toughest in the FCS, with or without NDSU. But I'm honestly at the point where I just look at losses in conference for NDSU as statistical noise. Play enough games, and you'll lose one or two.

Right now the FCS is NDSU and everyone else. If you squint, you'll see JMU and a random Big Sky team on occasion.
NDSU certainly had a "perfect storm" of factors that came together around the 2010-2011 timeframe. They had a good coach who finally figured out the winning formula when it came to building a staff, practice, and recruiting. They had a great region to recruit from that's devoid of "mid-major" FBS teams and the B1G and Big 12 teams in the region can only take so many guys. The closest BCS/P5 program was being run into the ground by a buffoon (Tim Brewster at Minnesota) which allowed NDSU to grab some gems from their most fertile recruiting ground in the twin cities. The recruiting classes of 2010 and 2011 had remarkably good chemistry which led to remarkably low attrition. All that combined to build a powerhouse and, like you said, it's just been a snowball effect since.

A couple things though that go a bit unnoticed when trying to explain the formation of a dynasty. First, I beleive NDSU has one of if not the best strength & conditioning program in college athletics. Jim Kramer, who runs the S&C program for the football team is as good as it gets and his fingerprints are all over this D1 title run. Secondly, the run that started in 2011 wasn't NDSU's first taste of dominance at the FCS level. They went 20-2 in 2006 and 2007 including 3-1 against FBS teams but were ineligible for the playoffs so they couldn't prove it but I know everyone around the program used that as proof that they were as good as anyone at this level it was just a matter of the coaches and players putting it back together after it fell apart in 2008 and 2009. You could even point back to that 2003 win in Missoula during NDSU's D1 exploratory year in Craig Bohl's first game as the first step towards NDSU establishing itself as a dominant FCS program.

Make no mistake though, there was no shortage of good luck that factored into NDSU's rise to prominence and to them staying there. I think the train is still picking up steam or at the very least maintaining steam but just like that one day in Missoula was when the train started rolling one day there will be something that starts detailing the train again.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
July 30th, 2018, 09:40 PM
Outscheming? Ok but it's been no secret over the past 2 years that wheel routes work very well against the JMU defense given it's very aggressive nature. Sometimes the DBs cross themselves up and end up looking at each other saying "I thought you had that fast guy." It was the right call at the right point in the game. Good on the Bison coaching staff. Still a very entertaining game -- better team won that day.

1. It wasn't a wheel route. It was a simple Corner route and he just ran away from the safety. 2. There are interviews with Easton and I believe Klieman saying they saw the alignment issue in film study and got the look they wanted on play in question. 3. This is out scheming.

That is all, Carry on

UNHWildcat18
July 31st, 2018, 07:47 AM
Because "PALPATINE'S BEHIND IT ALL"

dewey
July 31st, 2018, 07:53 AM
1. It wasn't a wheel route. It was a simple Corner route and he just ran away from the safety. 2. There are interviews with Easton and I believe Klieman saying they saw the alignment issue in film study and got the look they wanted on play in question. 3. This is out scheming.

That is all, Carry on

You are correct it was a corner route and not a wheel route. I watched the game Sunday morning. Also the safety assumed the ball was going to the short-medium receiver and the backside safety had no chance to get over to make a play. The aggressiveness of the safety put him in a bad position.

Dewey

Professor Chaos
July 31st, 2018, 08:00 AM
You are correct it was a corner route and not a wheel route. I watched the game Sunday morning. Also the safety assumed the ball was going to the short-medium receiver and the backside safety had no chance to get over to make a play. The aggressiveness of the safety put him in a bad position.

Dewey
That was a theme with JMU's secondary. Beyond whatever tape the Bison players and coaches watched to pick up on that play being open I remember Weber St completing a long pass in the quarters when a JMU safety (I think it was Raven Greene - same guy who jumped the intermediate route against NDSU) went for the INT instead of the tackle and gave up a long TD. Although considering they had something like 31 INTs last year I'd say they did a lot more burning than getting burned. Still, you live by the sword and die by the sword with that strategy.

Appaholic
July 31st, 2018, 08:23 AM
They went 20-2 in 2006 and 2007 including 3-1 against FBS teams but were ineligible for the playoffs so they couldn't prove it but I know everyone around the program used that as proof that they were as good as anyone at this level it was just a matter of the coaches and players putting it back together after it fell apart in 2008 and 2009. You could even point back to that 2003 win in Missoula during NDSU's D1 exploratory year in Craig Bohl's first game as the first step towards NDSU establishing itself as a dominant FCS program.

Make no mistake though, there was no shortage of good luck that factored into NDSU's rise to prominence and to them staying there. I think the train is still picking up steam or at the very least maintaining steam but just like that one day in Missoula was when the train started rolling one day there will be something that starts detailing the train again.

Luck is where opportunity and hard work collide and NDSU is now the model of how to build and maintain a powerhouse program. Certainly their location, instead of being a detriment (population density) has actually turned into a strength. Not only due to the lack of mid-major FBS schools that other programs (especially in the southeast) have to contend with every year, but also in limiting their attractiveness to a potential FBS conference pursuing them. This did not start in 2010-11, but was already apparent in 2003 and solidified in 2006-07. This was when App was in their magical run and I felt then that the only school that could possibly knock us off was NDSU. And, just as App did (and Ga South before them), the NDSU run will come to an end. It has to as assistants leave, complacency sets in when the hunger subsides...I think the loss to Montana in Missoula a couple of years ago actually benefitted NDSU for the past couple of years. Enjoy it now Bison fans because there is nothing quite like it and you can't bottle that feeling....xbowx

Reign of Terrier
July 31st, 2018, 09:07 AM
NDSU certainly had a "perfect storm" of factors that came together around the 2010-2011 timeframe. They had a good coach who finally figured out the winning formula when it came to building a staff, practice, and recruiting. They had a great region to recruit from that's devoid of "mid-major" FBS teams and the B1G and Big 12 teams in the region can only take so many guys. The closest BCS/P5 program was being run into the ground by a buffoon (Tim Brewster at Minnesota) which allowed NDSU to grab some gems from their most fertile recruiting ground in the twin cities. The recruiting classes of 2010 and 2011 had remarkably good chemistry which led to remarkably low attrition. All that combined to build a powerhouse and, like you said, it's just been a snowball effect since.

A couple things though that go a bit unnoticed when trying to explain the formation of a dynasty. First, I beleive NDSU has one of if not the best strength & conditioning program in college athletics. Jim Kramer, who runs the S&C program for the football team is as good as it gets and his fingerprints are all over this D1 title run. Secondly, the run that started in 2011 wasn't NDSU's first taste of dominance at the FCS level. They went 20-2 in 2006 and 2007 including 3-1 against FBS teams but were ineligible for the playoffs so they couldn't prove it but I know everyone around the program used that as proof that they were as good as anyone at this level it was just a matter of the coaches and players putting it back together after it fell apart in 2008 and 2009. You could even point back to that 2003 win in Missoula during NDSU's D1 exploratory year in Craig Bohl's first game as the first step towards NDSU establishing itself as a dominant FCS program.

My point here is that I think you can make the case that NDSU is getting measurably better than they were 3 years ago (or so). They were always good, but were they consistently at the level they play now? I don't think so.

One weird dynamic of NDSU fandom is that some elements imply (consciously or not) that they've always been this good or that there's no difference from who they are now from who they are during their first title run. Some do it because they're sandbaggers, others do it because they're homers.

I think NDSU is at a level of dominance that the only way you're going to stop them is if they get put on probation or if they move up to FBS. They have the confluence of these positive factors (recruiting, the brand, etc.). Sure, teams like JMU can beat them once in a while, but the number of teams that can match that profile are diminishing in number. App and GSU aren't around, SHSU doesn't play in a tough enough conference, and all these other little factors compromise other schools I imagine could do it (strong football culture, state school, strong schedule). That's not to say that there aren't any, but there are certainly less than there were 5 or so years ago (App, GSU, heck even Old Dominion)

I don't even sports hate NDSU anymore. I just get annoyed with their success because it make me generally less interested in FCS football than I was as a young buck on this board circa 2010. When a team wins so much, it removes the novelty of the sport. Even Bama doesn't win enough to ruin the novelty. But NDSU pulverizes whoever they play literally 9 out of 10 playoff games, leaving MVFC fans to play the transitive property game for the blowouts and everyone to overfit what happened in the close games. I don't buy what some fans say that NDSU has made the division better or more competitive. I don't know how you would measure that.

IBleedYellow
July 31st, 2018, 09:15 AM

You haven't done your homework on NDSU as much as you thought, have you? (I realize your person life situation, btw!)

NDSU's staple play for the past 3-4 years? RB Wheel Route. That doesn't matter though - the play we beat you on was not a wheel route.

Professor Chaos
July 31st, 2018, 09:51 AM
My point here is that I think you can make the case that NDSU is getting measurably better than they were 3 years ago (or so). They were always good, but were they consistently at the level they play now? I don't think so.

One weird dynamic of NDSU fandom is that some elements imply (consciously or not) that they've always been this good or that there's no difference from who they are now from who they are during their first title run. Some do it because they're sandbaggers, others do it because they're homers.

I think NDSU is at a level of dominance that the only way you're going to stop them is if they get put on probation or if they move up to FBS. They have the confluence of these positive factors (recruiting, the brand, etc.). Sure, teams like JMU can beat them once in a while, but the number of teams that can match that profile are diminishing in number. App and GSU aren't around, SHSU doesn't play in a tough enough conference, and all these other little factors compromise other schools I imagine could do it (strong football culture, state school, strong schedule). That's not to say that there aren't any, but there are certainly less than there were 5 or so years ago (App, GSU, heck even Old Dominion)

I don't even sports hate NDSU anymore. I just get annoyed with their success because it make me generally less interested in FCS football than I was as a young buck on this board circa 2010. When a team wins so much, it removes the novelty of the sport. Even Bama doesn't win enough to ruin the novelty. But NDSU pulverizes whoever they play literally 9 out of 10 playoff games, leaving MVFC fans to play the transitive property game for the blowouts and everyone to overfit what happened in the close games. I don't buy what some fans say that NDSU has made the division better or more competitive. I don't know how you would measure that.
I'd tend to agree that NDSU is better as a program now than they were three years ago. I think most fans in general kind of forget the warts and deficiencies of past glory teams and therefore have a skewed perception when comparing a current team that hasn't accomplished anything yet to a past team that reached the pinnacle of the subdivision. NDSU is funded better than they ever have been, their recruiting footprint is wider than it ever has been, and the "national brand" (a term I know will make some roll their eyes) is stronger than it has ever been.

As for what's good for the subdivision we could argue in circles for as long as we wanted to there. I will say that the MVFC as a conference is markedly better now than it was 5 years ago. What effect did NDSU have on that? I'd say quite a bit since they're the program everyone is chasing and they all (usually) play NDSU at least once a year. Everyone looks at SDSU as the model to beat NDSU now since they've done it each of the last 2 years but you have to remember before that they lost to NDSU 8 straight times from 2010 to 2015. No team has beaten NDSU as many time as SDSU has since 2011 but no team has lost to them as many times as SDSU has either. Does the rest of the subdivision get "sick of it" like SDSU did and up their game? Or will NDSU's dynasty start to crack first? One way or the other NDSU won't be this dominant forever but if it's the former I don't see how that isn't good for the subdivision.

Derby City Duke
July 31st, 2018, 10:29 AM
Uncle!

Professor Chaos and Dewey correctly identified my intended point about our DBs over the past 2 seasons. The over-aggressiveness of Greene was predictable. He actually made 2 poor plays in the Weber State game -- the wheel route TD and the last TD on the fake QB run. By the time he got back to where the receiver was he couldn't turn and make any kind of play on the ball. Thank God for Riley Stapleton and Bryan Schor or we would've been sadly singing "I'll Be Home for Christmas" that night.

I will go back to watching now and not trying to analyze...:D

And I will go back and watch the game again, painful though it may be. I don't remember if the replays showed the whole route scheme on that play for me to better understand it.

Professor Chaos
July 31st, 2018, 10:32 AM
Uncle!

Professor Chaos and Dewey correctly identified my intended point about our DBs over the past 2 seasons. The over-aggressiveness of Greene was predictable. He actually made 2 poor plays in the Weber State game -- the wheel route TD and the last TD on the fake QB run. By the time he got back to where the receiver was he couldn't turn and make any kind of play on the ball. Thank God for Riley Stapleton and Bryan Schor or we would've been sadly singing "I'll Be Home for Christmas" that night.

And I will go back and watch the game again, painful though it may be. I don't remember if the replays showed the whole route scheme on that play for me to better understand it.
I'll save you the heartburn of having to watch JMU's receivers drop all those balls again. ;)

Here's a good angle of the play that shows the entire route concept on the trips side of the field.

https://twitter.com/Draft_Brian/status/995664490657144832

IBleedYellow
July 31st, 2018, 10:45 AM
I'll never forget that play. It ran straight at me in the stands.

Derby City Duke
July 31st, 2018, 10:48 AM
I'll save you the heartburn of having to watch JMU's receivers drop all those balls again. ;)

Here's a good angle of the play that shows the entire route concept on the trips side of the field.

https://twitter.com/Draft_Brian/status/995664490657144832

Thanks PC xthumbsupx

Mrs. DCD appreciates that I won't be throwing crap at the screen later...

BisonFan02
July 31st, 2018, 10:49 AM
I'm 34 years old.....and NDSU has won 11 championships in my lifetime. There was a gap in there, but its ridiculous. xlolx

dewey
July 31st, 2018, 10:51 AM
I'll never forget that play. It ran straight at me in the stands.

I was in line for a hot dog and candy for the kids. As well as Tanguay's interception.

Dewey

dewey
July 31st, 2018, 10:53 AM
Thanks PC xthumbsupx

Mrs. DCD appreciates that I won't be throwing crap at the screen later...

Yeah don't watch that game otherwise you will lose your mind and make the wifey pissed with those dropped passes.

I don't think I have ever rewatched an NDSU loss.

Dewey

Southern Bison
July 31st, 2018, 10:55 AM
Uncle!

And I will go back and watch the game again, painful though it may be. I don't remember if the replays showed the whole route scheme on that play for me to better understand it.Ease up on him guys...I reminded him at FPC's 24HOB that his team helped me donate the final $10 ($5/Bison TD) for the season! 😆

Reign of Terrier
July 31st, 2018, 12:36 PM
NDSU beat Wofford with wheel routes too.

It was less memorable than JMU because it happened so often.

Great call a zone defense scheme. I dunno why people don't call it more often.

Silenoz
July 31st, 2018, 12:53 PM

Yep. Same thing that happened at DIII to a degree.

Montana State should have all the pieces to build a top 5 program, they're just too incompetent to make it happen, for whatever reasons. Until someone like them steps up (and doesn't bolt for FBS) I don't anticipate FCS being interesting anytime soon. I don't even know who else is a candidate. JMU and SDSU maybe, but JMU will bail the first chance they get. No one else is really equipped to build anything big and keep it sustained.

ST_Lawson
July 31st, 2018, 01:21 PM
I'm 34 years old.....and NDSU has won 11 championships in my lifetime. There was a gap in there, but its ridiculous. xlolx

That is ridiculous. I'm 39 and for all of the teams that I'm a fan of in all the sports that I follow, I've seen 2 championship wins. Really only 1 that I was able to understand the significance of.

jacksfan29
July 31st, 2018, 01:39 PM

Montana State should have all the pieces to build a top 5 program, they're just too incompetent to make it happen, for whatever reasons. Until someone like them steps up (and doesn't bolt for FBS) I don't anticipate FCS being interesting anytime soon. I don't even know who else is a candidate. JMU and SDSU maybe, but JMU will bail the first chance they get. No one else is really equipped to build anything big and keep it sustained.

JMU have had their chances to move up and have not done so. I'm not saying they never will, but don't expect it anytime soon. SDSU will continue to be a strong program, the facility upgrades and recruiting success will keep them at the top of the MVFC. But will we ever, year in and year out be at NDSU's level, no. We are still a school that thinks basketball first football second.

As for MSU, if one of the Montana schools is going to step up and compete with NDSU long term, I would put my money on the school in Missoula? :D

Reign of Terrier
July 31st, 2018, 01:49 PM

Yep. And it very well could be the case that FCS is the new D2 where smaller directional state universities and midmajor private schools play. At this point it would be more competitive. There are a few candidates to step up and contest NDSU, especially in the MVFC, Big Sky, and if you squint one day the Southland. But I really really don't think that's likely. NDSU has so much momentum, they could basically pick their recruits for the forseeable future. Former dynasties were never this impenetrable.

Thumper 76
July 31st, 2018, 02:08 PM
Yep. And it very well could be the case that FCS is the new D2 where smaller directional state universities and midmajor private schools play. At this point it would be more competitive. There are a few candidates to step up and contest NDSU, especially in the MVFC, Big Sky, and if you squint one day the Southland. But I really really don't think that's likely. NDSU has so much momentum, they could basically pick their recruits for the forseeable future. Former dynasties were never this impenetrable.

Realistically, eventually NDSU will not be in the championship every year. They’ll still be great and make deep runs, but eventually this run will end. Couple things need to happen though. First the MVFC needs teams to get to the level that they lose more than one conference game a year. That means UNI needs to get back to what they were, ISUr or YSU need to start to be good year in and year out, and SDSU needs to keep improving. That way there’s the possibility to get them out of the dome for a playoff game. Then you need other former powers to regain their former glory. Looking at you Montana, Delaware, and possibly teams like McNeese, Furman, maybe a Western Kentucky that jump their games up like JMU has. That likely cause their conferences to get better just like has happened in the MVFC. Then you have a more level version of FCS that is harder to dominate.

Either way, we’ve seen legendary programs fall from grace all across the country. It happens eventually. The NDSU fans who scoff and roll their eyes at the possibility of it happening to them need to look no further than their own wbb program. I’m quite certain that 15 years ago you would never have believed that the current state of the program of today was possible. All it takes is one bad coaching hire that’s given a little bit too much rope. In the meantime, I’m going to enjoy SDSU being a current thorn in their side and hope for the day we knock them off in the playoffs. Seriously, I want to beat them in the playoffs in the Fargodome more than I would want to take them out at home. That would take the rivalry to a level, that’s.....well a pretty unfriendly level xlolx

Reign of Terrier
July 31st, 2018, 02:18 PM
Realistically, eventually NDSU will not be in the championship every year. They’ll still be great and make deep runs, but eventually this run will end. Couple things need to happen though. First the MVFC needs teams to get to the level that they lose more than one conference game a year. That means UNI needs to get back to what they were, ISUr or YSU need to start to be good year in and year out, and SDSU needs to keep improving. That way there’s the possibility to get them out of the dome for a playoff game. Then you need other former powers to regain their former glory. Looking at you Montana, Delaware, and possibly teams like McNeese, Furman, maybe a Western Kentucky that jump their games up like JMU has. That likely cause their conferences to get better just like has happened in the MVFC. Then you have a more level version of FCS that is harder to dominate.

Either way, we’ve seen legendary programs fall from grace all across the country. It happens eventually. The NDSU fans who scoff and roll their eyes at the possibility of it happening to them need to look no further than their own wbb program. I’m quite certain that 15 years ago you would never have believed that the current state of the program of today was possible. All it takes is one bad coaching hire that’s given a little bit too much rope. In the meantime, I’m going to enjoy SDSU being a current thorn in their side and hope for the day we knock them off in the playoffs. Seriously, I want to beat them in the playoffs in the Fargodome more than I would want to take them out at home. That would take the rivalry to a level, that’s.....well a pretty unfriendly level xlolx

Brand me cynical, but until NDSU fails to at least make the championship game for 3 consecutive years you can know me as the guy who is A) a Wofford fan and B) a defeatist when it comes to whether or not NDSU is beatable.

It's the more stoic approach.

Thumper 76
July 31st, 2018, 02:21 PM
Brand me cynical, but until NDSU fails to at least make the championship game for 3 consecutive years you can know me as the guy who is A) a Wofford fan and B) a defeatist when it comes to whether or not NDSU is beatable.

It's the more stoic approach.

Being the guys who is an SDSU fan in Fargo, I can promise you this is much more unbearable for me than 99% of other FCS fans other than maybe UNDies fans.

TheKingpin28
July 31st, 2018, 02:23 PM
Being the guys who is an SDSU fan in Fargo, I can promise you this is much more unbearable for me than 99% of other FCS fans other than maybe UNDies fans.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkAt least you live in a championship town. I'm surrounded by gophers fans and that is damn near cruel and unusual punishment.

Silenoz
July 31st, 2018, 02:41 PM
JMU have had their chances to move up and have not done so. I'm not saying they never will, but don't expect it anytime soon. SDSU will continue to be a strong program, the facility upgrades and recruiting success will keep them at the top of the MVFC. But will we ever, year in and year out be at NDSU's level, no. We are still a school that thinks basketball first football second.

As for MSU, if one of the Montana schools is going to step up and compete with NDSU long term, I would put my money on the school in Missoula? :D

If our enrollment is 8,000 in 2020 we're gonna be cutting sports, not upgrading them

Silenoz
July 31st, 2018, 02:44 PM

That is a whole lot of improbable ifs

BisonFan02
July 31st, 2018, 03:00 PM
That is ridiculous. I'm 39 and for all of the teams that I'm a fan of in all the sports that I follow, I've seen 2 championship wins. Really only 1 that I was able to understand the significance of.

I'm also just talking football there.....but you get the point. I can kinda remember the Twins winning the World Series in the 90s....too young for 87 (and really too young for the Bison D2 nattys)

IBleedYellow
July 31st, 2018, 03:20 PM

1. MVFC needs teams to get to the level that they lose more than one conference game a year

2. UNI UP

3. ISUr UP

4. YSU UP

5. SDSU continue up.

6. Get them out of the Dome.

7. Former Powers to regain glory. So Montana and Delaware? That's about all the "Former" I can think of off the top of my head who are still around. GSU/Appy leaving created a void that NDSU and SHSU filled.

8. Other conference need to improve too. That can be between 10-50 programs required to make investments into their programs at if not above NDSU's level of funding.

That's a lot of **** that has to happen.

In my opinion what will actually happen - football changes due to CTE and other reasons like that. For better or worse, NDSU is known as the smashmouth brand of football. We are going to line em up and hit you hard. Then do it again. And again. And again. Until someone falters. Eventually football is going to change, and others are already more well suited for the changes that would be coming down. I have no doubt about it that NDSU will attempt to adapt, but the fact is that not a lot of people want to admit that the type of football we play is very effective. It may be more boring, that's not an argument I want to cross today, but the results seem pretty damn good. NDSU has a brand, they are known for the brand of football they play, and with the CTE issues, I think it will have to be changed out sooner rather than later.

ST_Lawson
July 31st, 2018, 03:26 PM
I'm also just talking football there.....but you get the point. I can kinda remember the Twins winning the World Series in the 90s....too young for 87 (and really too young for the Bison D2 nattys)

Right, I know...you were just talking about NDSU.

For me, Bears in '85 and Cubs in '16. I remember watching the Bears win the SB, but was really a bit too young to fully appreciate it. Cubs...I fully appreciated that.
Someday maybe I'll get to see my Leathernecks win it all...I'm not holding my breath though. Our best chances came when I was in college and the I-AA/FCS landscape has shifted quite a bit since then.

Thumper 76
July 31st, 2018, 03:35 PM
1. MVFC needs teams to get to the level that they lose more than one conference game a year

2. UNI UP

3. ISUr UP

4. YSU UP

5. SDSU continue up.

6. Get them out of the Dome.

7. Former Powers to regain glory. So Montana and Delaware? That's about all the "Former" I can think of off the top of my head who are still around. GSU/Appy leaving created a void that NDSU and SHSU filled.

8. Other conference need to improve too. That can be between 10-50 programs required to make investments into their programs at if not above NDSU's level of funding.

That's a lot of **** that has to happen.

In my opinion what will actually happen - football changes due to CTE and other reasons like that. For better or worse, NDSU is known as the smashmouth brand of football. We are going to line em up and hit you hard. Then do it again. And again. And again. Until someone falters. Eventually football is going to change, and others are already more well suited for the changes that would be coming down. I have no doubt about it that NDSU will attempt to adapt, but the fact is that not a lot of people want to admit that the type of football we play is very effective. It may be more boring, that's not an argument I want to cross today, but the results seem pretty damn good. NDSU has a brand, they are known for the brand of football they play, and with the CTE issues, I think it will have to be changed out sooner rather than later.

I don’t think that’s what would do it. But, those thing I mentioned are what it would take to consistently have NDSU not in the chipper without their level of play dropping. Reality will be more likely a combination of teams rising up and what I listed with NDSU falling off a bit. I think UD is on the upswing with Rocco, Hauk might pick Montana back up, Kennesaw St is on the rise. There are other teams rising up.

JacksFan40
July 31st, 2018, 03:56 PM
I saw all 5 of the Cowboys Super Bowl titles and SDSU’s women winning the basketball title in 2002. It’s been meh.

TheKingpin28
July 31st, 2018, 04:23 PM
I saw all 5 of the Cowboys Super Bowl titles and SDSU’s women winning the basketball title in 2002. It’s been meh.

Are those not one in the same?

Winterborn
July 31st, 2018, 07:49 PM

Are those not one in the same?

That is a bit low there. No reason to drag down the SDSU's woman's basketball title to the level of the Cowboys........

Vandal03
July 31st, 2018, 08:29 PM

Those three reasons aren’t why NDSU is the favorite to win the national championship. The reason is NDSU plays the game of football the way it was meant to be played better than anyone at ge FCS level. They run the ball, are efficient passing, win the turnover battle, and make explosive plays, and have a great defense. They are the model football team. Their style of play dominates finesse passing teams during the post season.

Derby City Duke
July 31st, 2018, 08:54 PM
Ease up on him guys...I reminded him at FPC's 24HOB that his team helped me donate the final $10 ($5/Bison TD) for the season! 

Darn glad I could put you over the top!

Longhorn
August 10th, 2018, 03:05 PM

Sandbagging a bit? xpeacex

I wouldn't be surprised to see NDSU and JMU meet again this year for the NC. If the QB question at JMU is answered, this could be the best team in JMU's history.

Twentysix
August 11th, 2018, 04:08 AM
It is possible that this could be the best team in ndsu history also, if it's not the best or second best it will be a little bit of a let down potential-wise.
Sandbagging a bit? xpeacex

I wouldn't be surprised to see NDSU and JMU meet again this year for the NC. If the QB question at JMU is answered, this could be the best team in JMU's history.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Twentysix
August 11th, 2018, 04:08 AM
Ndsu has non-football national championships too. Softball comes to mind for one.
Right, I know...you were just talking about NDSU.

For me, Bears in '85 and Cubs in '16. I remember watching the Bears win the SB, but was really a bit too young to fully appreciate it. Cubs...I fully appreciated that.
Someday maybe I'll get to see my Leathernecks win it all...I'm not holding my breath though. Our best chances came when I was in college and the I-AA/FCS landscape has shifted quite a bit since then.

Twentysix
August 11th, 2018, 04:11 AM
NDSU National Championships

General

NDSU has a storied history of athletic success including 26*team national championships since 1965 in football, women’s basketball, wrestling, softball, men’s cross country and women’s indoor track and field, plus numerous individual championships.

Since completing a reclassification to NCAA Division I in the fall of 2008, the Bison have won six football national championships, made three NCAA men’s basketball tournaments, nine softball regionals and one super regional, three NCAA women’s volleyball postseason appearances, NCAA regionals in baseball, women’s soccer, and men's and women’s golf while producing several All-Americans in track and field, cross country and wrestling.

FOOTBALL (14)
1965,*1968,*1969,*1983,*1985,*1986,*1988,*1990,*20 11,*2012,*2013,*2014,*2015,*2017

MEN'S CROSS COUNTRY (1)

MEN’S CROSS COUNTRY INDIVIDUALS (3 athletes, 5 championships)
1971 – Mike Slack
1972 – Mike Slack
1977 – Mike Bollman
1988 – Doug Hanson
1990 – Doug Hanson

WOMEN'S BASKETBALL (5)
1991,*1993,*1994,*1995,*1996

WRESTLING (4)
1988,*1998,*2000,*2001

WRESTLING INDIVIDUALS (21 athletes, 30 championships)
1971 – Bob Backlund
1971 – Bill Demaray
1972 – Bill Demaray
1973 – Phil Reimnitz
1973 – Lee Petersen
1975 – Brad Rheingans
1977 – Mark Reimnitz
1982 – Mike Langlais
1983 – Steve Carr
1984 – Mike Langlais
1987 – Marty Morgan
1988 – Rick Goeb
1992 – Lloyd Wurm
1993 – Brian Kapusta
1994 – Brian Kapusta
1995 – Brian Kapusta
1995 – Ryan Wolters
1997 – George Thompson
1998 – Mark Pazdernik
1998 – Steve Saxlund
2000 – Todd Fuller
2000 – Wayne Mooney
2000 – Kris Nelson
2000 – Steve Saxlund
2001 – Todd Fuller
2001 – Steve Saxlund
2001 – Nick Severson
2002 – Todd Fuller
2002 – Nick Severson
2003 – Paul Carlson

MEN'S INDOOR TRACK AND FIELD INDIVIDUALS (2 athletes, 3 championships)
1989 – Doug Hanson, 5,000 meters
1990 – Doug Hanson, 5,000 meters
1996 – Ryan McGlynn, pole vault

WOMEN'S INDOOR TRACK AND FIELD (1)

WOMEN’S INDOOR TRACK AND FIELD INDIVIDUALS (11 athletes, 9 championships)
1985 – Nancy Dietman, 3,000 meters
1993 – Penny Ensrud, high jump
1996 – Andrea Jeseritz, high jump
2001 – Diandra Bauer, weight throw
2002 – Amanda Thieschafer, triple jump
2002 – 1,600-meter relay (Kinsey Coles, Nicole Rieck, Jill Theeler, Tamara Brudy)
2004 – Amanda Thieschafer, triple jump
2004 – Kinsey Coles, 800 meters
2004 – 1,600-meter relay (Nicole Rieck, Sarah Klein, Kiki Smith, Kinsey Coles)

MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK AND FIELD INDIVIDUALS (4 athletes, 8 championships)
1979 – Curt Bacon, 3,000-meter steeplechase
1980 – Curt Bacon, 3,000-meter steeplechase
1988 – Doug Hanson, 10,000 meters
1989 – Doug Hanson, 10,000 meters
1991 – Doug Hanson, 10,000 meters
1998 – Heith Janke, 800 meters
2003 – Nathan Schmidt, decathlon
2004 – Nathan Schmidt, decathlon

WOMEN’S OUTDOOR TRACK AND FIELD INDIVIDUALS (3 athletes, 4 championships)
2001 – Diandra Bauer, hammer throw
2003 – Amanda Thieschafer, triple jump
2003 – Kinsey Coles, 400-meter hurdles
2004 – Kinsey Coles, 800 meters

SOFTBALL (1)

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 11th, 2018, 07:39 AM
Barring injuries, I fully believe NDSU is going back to Frisco again. 22 seniors with a ton of experience and talent.

NDSU will be favored in every game this year. Could they lose a game? Ya, history has proved that going undefeated is very hard to do. Even the '13 team had some very close games.

Really the only 2 teams that will give a chance to beat the Bison this year will be UNI and SDSU IMO.

TheKingpin28
August 11th, 2018, 08:24 AM
Barring injuries, I fully believe NDSU is going back to Frisco again. 22 seniors with a ton of experience and talent.

NDSU will be favored in every game this year. Could they lose a game? Ya, history has proved that going undefeated is very hard to do. Even the '13 team had some very close games.

Really the only 2 teams that will give a chance to beat the Bison this year will be UNI and SDSU IMO.I still think the game at Western is going to be a pain in the ass. As has been stated before, NDSU struggles at Hanson field for some reason.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 11th, 2018, 11:16 AM
I still think the game at Western is going to be a pain in the ass. As has been stated before, NDSU struggles at Hanson field for some reason.

Ya, this is true but IMO, this year's WIU team will not be a test for the Bison.

Longhorn
August 12th, 2018, 11:04 AM

Really the only 2 teams that will give a chance to beat the Bison this year will be UNI and SDSU IMO.

The only teams in regular season play? ;) Until the Bison get beat in Frisco by JMU in a rematch.xthumbsupx

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 12th, 2018, 12:37 PM
The only teams in regular season play? ;) Until the Bison get beat in Frisco by JMU in a rematch.xthumbsupx

I was referring to the regular season but come playoffs the only team that can challenge the Bison, this year, would be JMU.

But JMU would have to play great because this year's Bison team will be better than last year IMO. Bison are loaded on both sides of the ball.

BisonFan02
August 12th, 2018, 02:31 PM
Last years JMU team was better than the one that won the natty. This year? We'll find out week 1. If they lose against NC State, I think they also lose 1-2 games in the CAA. I'm thinking 2 loss team heading into the postseason....probably seeded unless they lose a 3rd game.

Redbird 4th & short
August 12th, 2018, 02:40 PM
I was referring to the regular season but come playoffs the only team that can challenge the Bison, this year, would be JMU.

But JMU would have to play great because this year's Bison team will be better than last year IMO. Bison are loaded on both sides of the ball.
on paper, sitting here in middle of August, NDSU has to be viewed as clear favorite over JMU. Below is Keepers Stats plus some NCAA stats rankings:

- JMU lost 5.9 offensive starters and 6.9 defensive ... total of 12.8 .. so call it 13 of 22 starters lost.
- NDSU lost 4.1 on offense and just 3.7 on defense .. total of 7.8 .. call it 8 of 22 starters lost

Given JMU was #3 in total defense and NDSU was #1 .. with JMU losing 3 more starters, clear edge to NDSU on defense. And NDSU was #12 in total offense (but #3 in yards per play) while JMU was #30 .. with NDSU having QB back, clear edge to NDSU. JMU has enjoyed clear advantages in special teams, especially return teams.

All things considered here in August .. looks like until we start playing the games, NDSU has decided advantage. I think same can be said over any MVFC team as well. JMU may not even be 2nd best team with all those losses sitting here today .. not to say they won't reload, but they've lost a lot.

SCHOOL
CONF
RUSH
PASS
Off Strts
QB
RB
WR
OL

DL
LB
DB
Def Strts
DEF
DL
LB
DB

James Madison
CAA
96%
20%
51%
51%

28%
30%
42%
57%
65%
71%
41%

North Dakota State
MVFC
7%
1%
45%
39%

28%
40%
31%
29%
21%
40%
20%

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 12th, 2018, 06:16 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Interesting stats.

Hammerhead
August 12th, 2018, 06:42 PM
Bison fans can look at our own football team that has had a few down years.

UpstateBison
August 12th, 2018, 06:45 PM
NDSU vs JMU rematch. I think JMU will miss DLine grads the most. Also, safeties. Not sure about OLine but our DLine owned them in Championship game.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 12th, 2018, 07:10 PM
NDSU vs JMU rematch. I think JMU will miss DLine grads the most. Also, safeties. Not sure about OLine but our DLine owned them in Championship game.

The Bison OL is going to be very good this year. 9-10 deep I guess from the local interviews done since camp has started.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 12th, 2018, 07:14 PM
Bison fans can look at our own football team that has had a few down years.

Sustained down years for Bison football? I doubt it. Ya, there could be a few years here and there that could be down but not long periods of time that they would be poor.

With the recruiting classes that have been coming in, I doubt they fall off very far if at all.

Next year will be interesting just because there will be a new QB and if they can produce.

Southern Bison
August 12th, 2018, 09:05 PM
Sustained down years for Bison football? I doubt it. Ya, there could be a few years here and there that could be down but not long periods of time that they would be poor.

With the recruiting classes that have been coming in, I doubt they fall off very far if at all.

Next year will be interesting just because there will be a new QB and if they can produce.The primary backup redshirt freshman QB will get a good amount of playing time this season. CP, UNA, & UD just in the non-conference portion of the season. 2019 will have a strong stable of RBs who will carry the lion's share just like in 2015 after Wentz went down.

#nextmanup

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 18th, 2018, 08:36 AM
Couple of weeks old but this is why the Bison will win it again:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/football/4481244-large-senior-class-lends-depth-ndsu-bison-football-team

uni88
August 18th, 2018, 09:29 AM
Back on topic, no one wants to say it but the real reason the Bison will win it again this year is because all the bison fans in North Dakota sold their souls to the devil. They're going to win a dozen D1 natties and then hope for a Daniel Webster type to save their souls. Unfortunately the best lawyers in North Dakota are UND grads so they're cooked. :D

Herder
August 18th, 2018, 10:10 AM
Back on topic, no one wants to say it but the real reason the Bison will win it again this year is because all the bison fans in North Dakota sold their souls to the devil. They're going to win a dozen D1 natties and then hope for a Daniel Webster type to save their souls. Unfortunately the best lawyers in North Dakota are UND grads so they're cooked. :D

Good try, but the only way to go 6 for 7 is to have the Lord on your side. Souls have been saved, not sold.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 18th, 2018, 11:12 AM

#1 Bison fan xnodx:)

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28481&stc=1

:D

70MilesFromCanada
August 18th, 2018, 03:14 PM

WINNER! WINNER! WINNER!

This will be the dumbest AGS post this year.

BOOK IT!

Redbird 4th & short
August 18th, 2018, 06:58 PM

I thought Jesus was from middle east .. this guy looks like he is from California back in the 1960's.

Scientists believe he looked more like this guy, given where he was from.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CV-OMGYU4AAKX0l?format=jpg&name=large (https://twitter.com/esquire/status/675414808058007553/photo/1)

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1015361202787049472/z4P62a0i_bigger.jpg (https://twitter.com/esquire)

POD Knows
August 18th, 2018, 07:01 PM
I thought Jesus was from middle east .. this guy looks like he is from California back in the 1960's.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CV-OMGYU4AAKX0l?format=jpg&name=large (https://twitter.com/esquire/status/675414808058007553/photo/1)

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/1015361202787049472/z4P62a0i_bigger.jpg (https://twitter.com/esquire)

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28483&stc=1

SUPharmacist
August 18th, 2018, 07:44 PM

I have no idea why you assumed it was supposed to be Jesus. Bison Fan in NW MN stated no such thing. My guess is your statement that he looks like a Californian from the 60s is who he in fact is.

Herder
August 18th, 2018, 08:00 PM
Move over Notre Dame, it’s touchdown Jesus in Fargo! Praise the Lord.

Bison vs JMU being renamed, “Lutherans v Gentiles”. Black market T-shirt in production already.

uni88
August 18th, 2018, 08:06 PM

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/MV5BMTY0MTAwNzYxNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzgxNjk0NTE@._ V1_.jpg

True.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 19th, 2018, 07:25 AM
WINNER! WINNER! WINNER!

This will be the dumbest AGS post this year.

BOOK IT!

You see my smiley faces in the post....xrolleyesx

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 19th, 2018, 08:18 AM
True.

UNI's #1 fan:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28491&stc=1

Professor Chaos
August 19th, 2018, 08:53 AM
UNI's #1 fan:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28491&stc=1
I don't know if that's quite accurate... this would be more appropriate:

https://ind5.ccio.co/3G/NA/yB/245868460876237602H7tTbEuCc.jpg

TheKingpin28
August 19th, 2018, 02:25 PM
Move over Notre Dame, it’s touchdown Jesus in Fargo! Praise the Lord.

Bison vs JMU being renamed, “Lutherans v Gentiles”. Black market T-shirt in production already.Missouri Synod Lutherans or the ELCA Lutherans? xlolx Somewhere the Catholics are already calling the MS Lutherans the Anti-Christ and vice-versa.

Hammerhead
August 19th, 2018, 08:41 PM
The best lawyers in North Dakota are not UND grads. :)

ST_Lawson
August 19th, 2018, 09:32 PM
Missouri Synod Lutherans or the ELCA Lutherans?

Going for an Emo Phillips joke here?...Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?

uni88
August 19th, 2018, 09:40 PM
The best lawyers in North Dakota are not UND grads. :)
No? Where do they come from? Winnipeg? ;)

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 26th, 2018, 08:55 AM
Pretty good 2018 season trailer just put out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCVQOsSeD0Y

Redbird 4th & short
August 26th, 2018, 10:35 AM
I have no idea why you assumed it was supposed to be Jesus. Bison Fan in NW MN stated no such thing. My guess is your statement that he looks like a Californian from the 60s is who he in fact is.
Then he should have said, this dude who was a backup vocalist is some 1960s garage band .. and is currently a honeless drug addict bouncing around various homeless shelters in the Bay area playing street music for change ... that would have been helpful.. and probably more accurate.

BisonFan02
August 26th, 2018, 11:01 AM
Last night's game is another example on why NDSU will win again.

Bison Fan in NW MN
August 26th, 2018, 11:03 AM
Then he should have said, this dude who was a backup vocalist is some 1960s garage band .. and is currently a honeless drug addict bouncing around various homeless shelters in the Bay area playing street music for change ... that would have been helpful.. and probably more accurate.

Hey now, I thought you were suppose to be "trolling" clenzy.....:D

Redbird 4th & short
August 26th, 2018, 02:59 PM
Hey now, I thought you were suppose to be "trolling" clenzy.....:D

Nah, he broke my BS meter again. Too afraid to engage him without it.

P.s. just learned something really clever from the troll master himself .. really excited to see if I can pull it off. Look for PM and then afterwards I'll let everyone else in on it .. it'll be great !!!

cx500d
August 26th, 2018, 05:11 PM
No? Where do they come from? Winnipeg? ;)

Hell, because that’s where they all eventually go

cx500d
August 26th, 2018, 05:13 PM

Charles Manson was trying to make it in the music business as evidenced by his hanging out at parties in other Brian Wilson.

Doooks
August 26th, 2018, 07:41 PM
What up Peeps! I just reset my account so I can get properly schooled on all the current footballing news. I thoroughly enjoyed the title game, except your lack of respect for streamers, so I thought I would engage the NDSU fans before the freeze sets in. I hope you guys pound Cal Poly by 40 points. How did you end up with North 'Bama on the schedule? Is that a homecoming game or something?

BisonFan02
August 26th, 2018, 09:17 PM
What up Peeps! I just reset my account so I can get properly schooled on all the current footballing news. I thoroughly enjoyed the title game, except your lack of respect for streamers, so I thought I would engage the NDSU fans before the freeze sets in. I hope you guys pound Cal Poly by 40 points. How did you end up with North 'Bama on the schedule? Is that a homecoming game or something?

Need guarantee games.....North Bama answered our call. SOS comes from MVFC schedule anyway. Played a tough OOC with Chuck Southern, EWU, and Iowa two years ago.....didn't work well later on squad

Bisonoline
August 26th, 2018, 10:31 PM

Nope. That honor goes to Delaware. You snooze you lose.

Bison56
August 27th, 2018, 06:42 AM
Because they don't have to play in the southern heat.