March 8th, 2007, 03:34 PM
wow this is sweet...JUST came out

http://www.goasu.com/autoimage/p4fuj6o.jpg

Mr. C
March 8th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Too bad they can't build it that fast.

Appstate29
March 8th, 2007, 03:42 PM
I'm a firm believer that college football stadiums should not be palaces. They should be base, loud, and blue collar. If you want to eat a steak while watching the game on the flat screen, go to the new cowboys stadium. I love the more $$ this is goign to bring in for ASU, but I'd rather them take that 30 mil and add some more seats with it. People are NOT going to continue to pay full price to sit on the banks.

Mountaineer
March 8th, 2007, 03:43 PM
And too bad we're still going to have the stands and track. :bawling:

That thing is way too nice to be sitting behind the present KBS. :(

Appstate29
March 8th, 2007, 03:44 PM
And too bad we're still going to have the stands and track. :bawling:

That thing is way too nice to be sitting behind the present KBS. :(

Its like fitting a Diamond to a piece of dog *****.

Appstate29
March 8th, 2007, 03:48 PM
who wants to do the over/under on how long past the deadline it will take to complete it :D

Mr. C
March 8th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Short of building a NEW track and field facility (where'e the money for that?), don't you think that ASU's CHAMPIONSHIP track and field program deserves the stadium as much as the football team?

Mountaineer
March 8th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Short of building a NEW track and field facility (where'e the money for that?), don't you think that ASU's CHAMPIONSHIP track and field program deserves the stadium as much as the football team?

They deserve a first class facility of their own. No denying the money aspect however.

Doesn't mean that one has to like the track around or markings (other than football) on the field. :twocents:

ncguitarplyr
March 8th, 2007, 03:50 PM
well we can't do it all at once i guess....after this the next step in putting in the 2nd level of stands on the other side....with that i hope comes a plan to get rid of the track

WUTNDITWAA
March 8th, 2007, 03:52 PM

Using that logic, the field should be grass, because the "and field" events can't be conducted on the field turf. Why couldn't there be a track around the new soccer pitch? It's supposed to be pretty nice too.

ncguitarplyr
March 8th, 2007, 04:02 PM
this will give you an idea of what the inside looks like

http://www.goasu.com/autoimage/pwf67Zu.jpg

catbob
March 8th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Not going to lie, that looks very out of place. It looks almost as big as the stands themselves!

ncguitarplyr
March 8th, 2007, 04:51 PM
well when we expand the seating stands hopefully it won't look that way

Go Lehigh TU owl
March 8th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Not going to lie, that looks very out of place. It looks almost as big as the stands themselves!

I agree. That thing looks really goofy on on top of the stands. Why didn't App State try to expand the seating of KBS? I only realized recently that KBS isn't very big and a lot of their attendance for big games is based on standing room. But yeah that press box/suite looks way out of place. I think they could have made it look a little more balanced. Kinda reminds me of Colorado's press box at Folsom Field.

http://www.sinkcombs.com/projects/stadium/Folsompress/Folsompress2.jpg

ncguitarplyr
March 8th, 2007, 04:58 PM
this will give u an idea of what it looked like with the old press box during a game

http://goasu.com/autoimage/th400_pHdLt85.jpg

AppFan56
March 8th, 2007, 05:44 PM
wow this is sweet...JUST came out

http://www.goasu.com/autoimage/p4fuj6o.jpg

Its not just about the press box. Behind that smoked glass are luxury suites and the building behind that will house the new football facility. There will be a state of the art training facility (with underwater treadmills to rehab leg injuries) serious weight room, and new locker room with pro-style double wide locker stalls. The current facility is good - the new facility will look like the best D-IA facilities out there. Coach Moore got in his car and drove to the best facilities in the country so the new facility reflects his vision of what a top football program should look like. Can anyone argue with what he thinks he needs? Not me - I'm behind him
100%. The combination of the new football building and the indoor training facility makes us able to prepare for anything. If we make the jump to FBS and had a bowl game in Arizona we could train in the indoor facility and adjust the climate inside accordingly right? Teams striving to be the best do things like this - look at Rutgers over the last 5 years. I've seen their facility and guess what - the big stadium not withstanding, we will have most of what they have when this is done.

MplsBison
March 8th, 2007, 05:58 PM

Oh please!

Like MSU's main grandstand is anything less than that:

http://www.montana.edu/campusmap/images/stadium.jpg

Mountaineer#96
March 8th, 2007, 06:49 PM

Not really, I don't think the track team is putting 24,000 plus in the stands on a regular basis. The track looks awful and makes the FOOTBALL gameday experience less attractive. Sports that cost more to fund than they bring in such as: Field Hockey, Track, Softball to name a few just need to hold on for a few years till the rest of this thing catches up with them. It sounds bad but people can easily see which sports are making the money that the rest live off of. Title 9 has placed limits on football expansion here at ASU. This is easily seen every year I have been here.

spoogemcgee18
March 8th, 2007, 06:53 PM
I think it's fugly. I think they're gonna regret putting millions of dollars into this now instead of just building a new stadium a little on down the road.

NDSUFREAK
March 8th, 2007, 06:58 PM
OHHH! That hurts that the track isn't coming out. That really sucks...

Mountaineer#96
March 8th, 2007, 07:01 PM
OHHH! That hurts that the track isn't coming out. That really sucks...
AGREED :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: ASU Football team hates it, alums hate it, I hate it, Faculty hates it, the students hate it, I think even the track team hates it being there.

spoogemcgee18
March 8th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Does anybody know how much App is spending on just the football field? The total athletics enhancement campaign is around 32 mil, correct?
I drive by this beauty on the way to work every day and I can't help think what we could have had for the low low price of 28 million.

http://web.mlsnet.com/content/99/images/clb0515stadium_aerial.jpg

Columbus Crew Stadium
Capacity 22,000 give or take a few.
Put it out at State Farm and it's my idea of a perfect home for Appalachian Football.

ASU Kep
March 8th, 2007, 07:27 PM
I absolutely love where KBS is located (don't change that) but I don't for the life of me understand why we're building a new, massive pressbox when with the same amount of money or less we could build new seats. To me it's almost a slap in the face to fans.

GOKATS
March 8th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Oh please!

Like MSU's main grandstand is anything less than that:

http://www.montana.edu/campusmap/images/stadium.jpg

Yep, but most of that is an "indoor stadium club" and skyboxes which amount to a helluva chunk of revenue. The demand for sky boxes is so high that MSU has Board of Regents approval to construct as many or more on the other (student) side of the field- construction will begin as soon as financing arrangements are complete.

AppMan
March 8th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Does anybody know how much App is spending on just the football field? The total athletics enhancement campaign is around 32 mil, correct?
I drive by this beauty on the way to work every day and I can't help think what we could have had for the low low price of 28 million.

http://web.mlsnet.com/content/99/images/clb0515stadium_aerial.jpg

Columbus Crew Stadium
Capacity 22,000 give or take a few.
Put it out at State Farm and it's my idea of a perfect home for Appalachian Football.

It's a nice facility, but they're playing soccer in that picture!!

appsfan
March 8th, 2007, 08:51 PM
I like the way the new press box/suites will look. I see the building as a case of to get money you have to spend money. In other words, if the big $ boosters are kept happy, the money will keep flowing. In time I think you will see the additional seats you want, a new track elsewhere (we hope,) and an overall upgrade of KBS.

AppMan
March 8th, 2007, 09:04 PM
I think the new pressbox/athletic center is incredible. Everyone needs to just take a breath and relax on the seating issue. I've got a good idea we will see some additional seating on the East Stands this fall. Someone who ought to know, told me there may be as many as 5,000 put in to bring capacity over there to around 10,000 and total seating (w/o the bank) to 21,500. The new facility took precedence over seating because of the revenue it can bring in to help build new seating. I also have a good idea we will see a new track/soccer facility go up in the vicinity of the new baseball stadium sometime in the near future. Then the "retro-fittable seating" that will be put up on the East Side can be taken down, the lower level dug up, a new field moved closer to the West Stands, and new East and South Endzone seating can be installed. A recent article in the Watauga Democrat revealed the university's plan for a new road from the back of the Broyhill Inn & Conferece Center to Hwy 105 near the Dodge Dealership. Instant access to the new baseball stadium, track & soccer complex, and some mighty fine tailgating areas. You guys have got to understand Chancellor Peacock has a plan, but it all can't be revealed, much less built overnight.

FlyYtown
March 8th, 2007, 09:10 PM
O those are very nice. Look's like YSU'S reign as having the nicest loges/press facilities in I-AA/FCS is about to end after 10 years!

They still look great now don't they!
http://photos-616.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sctm/v37/152/53/49101616/n49101616_30270419_2076.jpg

PaladinFan
March 8th, 2007, 09:19 PM
I've been to KBS many times and never noticed the pressbox. I do notice the track and I do notice the absolutely wretched bathroom facilities. Hopefully that box won't block out the view of the mountains. That adds a ton of mystique to the place.

Mountaineer
March 8th, 2007, 09:28 PM
I've been to KBS many times and never noticed the pressbox. I do notice the track and I do notice the absolutely wretched bathroom facilities. Hopefully that box won't block out the view of the mountains. That adds a ton of mystique to the place.

The location was one of the main concerns when they were talking about building a new stadium at a different location. I love the place it's located now - from the walk up Stadium Drive to the views. However, that means home and visiting fans are going to have to put up with the current state of things for awhile longer. I'm really hoping, like AppMan said, to see a whole new seating structure and no track somewhere down the line. And I hear ya on the bathrooms. :( :p

Views from the west stands are something else. :D

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/7609/appviewjk1.jpg

tarmac
March 8th, 2007, 09:51 PM
However, that means home and visiting fans are going to have to put up with the current state of things for" awhile longer"

Something i have not really thought about untill now is that the visting players will probably eventually have better facilities since the exisitng field house is staying in place and our locker room will be in the new building. The big picture there is that better facilities for the visting team will be important if we ever want to draw any BCS schools to Boone.

GeauxColonels
March 8th, 2007, 10:02 PM
I absolutely love where KBS is located (don't change that) but I don't for the life of me understand why we're building a new, massive pressbox when with the same amount of money or less we could build new seats. To me it's almost a slap in the face to fans.
The same reason so many other schools in the country are building/upgrading: S-U-I-T-E-S!

The can charge a ridiculous amount for suite tickets to wealthy alumni and it brings in a good deal more in revenues than normal seating would.:twocents:

Mr. C
March 8th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Hold on there. The plan does call for expansion to Kidd Brewer's seating capacity, but that is like phase two or three of the athletic enhancement project. And capacity WILL be increased with the addition of the sky boxes. The main reason for this, however, is to give KBS better day-to-day facilities for football, with the offices, weight room, locker rooms etc.

74AppState
March 8th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Anyone who has been on the West side of the stadium when the sun slides behind the Mountain on a late November day knows how cold it can get--the new tower will take out the sun a lot earlier. I may have to move to the east side after having the same season tix for 30 years-its hell getting old.

slostang
March 8th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Its not just about the press box. Behind that smoked glass are luxury suites and the building behind that will house the new football facility. There will be a state of the art training facility (with underwater treadmills to rehab leg injuries) serious weight room, and new locker room with pro-style double wide locker stalls. The current facility is good - the new facility will look like the best D-IA facilities out there. Coach Moore got in his car and drove to the best facilities in the country so the new facility reflects his vision of what a top football program should look like. Can anyone argue with what he thinks he needs? Not me - I'm behind him
100%. The combination of the new football building and the indoor training facility makes us able to prepare for anything. If we make the jump to FBS and had a bowl game in Arizona we could train in the indoor facility and adjust the climate inside accordingly right? Teams striving to be the best do things like this - look at Rutgers over the last 5 years. I've seen their facility and guess what - the big stadium not withstanding, we will have most of what they have when this is done.
I think that it looks great and will generate the most money for the program. The money brought in by the donar suites will help finance further expansion. The facilities that are part of the complex will help bring in even better recruits to continue to build the program (which is a little scary to the rest of the FCS). Big thumbs up.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ASU Kep
March 9th, 2007, 12:01 AM
Hold on there. The plan does call for expansion to Kidd Brewer's seating capacity, but that is like phase two or three of the athletic enhancement project. And capacity WILL be increased with the addition of the sky boxes. The main reason for this, however, is to give KBS better day-to-day facilities for football, with the offices, weight room, locker rooms etc.

The pressbox isn't necessary for the new weight rooms/indoor practice facility, etc. I wholly support those things.

What peeves me is that thousands of App fans will continue to sit on the muddy banks for the coming years because ASU wanted to cater first to it's rich donors by building them boxes before your average through-and-through App fan who will likely continue to sit in mud to watch the team.

A new pressbox is cool. Seating expansion is NEEDED, but they went where the $$$ is. : smh :

ASU Kep
March 9th, 2007, 12:02 AM
...and I know seating expansion is on the docket...it's also been that way for a long, long time. Why couldn't a new shiny pressbox take a back-seat to expanding the stadium to accomodate overflow crowds?

Mr. C
March 9th, 2007, 12:34 AM
Because it was needed first. At the time that the expansion was announced, they said they wanted to see that the demand for tickets continued to remain high. To take off on Field of Dreams, instead of If You Build, They Will Come, it is If You Keep Coming They Will Expand. Kep, the reality of things is it takes money to raise money and building those boxes will help raise money. Dr. Peacock knows what he is doing.

WUTNDITWAA
March 9th, 2007, 06:31 AM
Dr. Peacock knows what he is doing.

Post of the year. :hurray:

CharlestonAppFan
March 9th, 2007, 07:42 AM
The pressbox isn't necessary for the new weight rooms/indoor practice facility, etc. I wholly support those things.

What peeves me is that thousands of App fans will continue to sit on the muddy banks for the coming years because ASU wanted to cater first to it's rich donors by building them boxes before your average through-and-through App fan who will likely continue to sit in mud to watch the team.

A new pressbox is cool. Seating expansion is NEEDED, but they went where the $$$ is. : smh :

Personally I don't mind this because I think it gives App it's own image and character. I've always stood on the bank beside the stadium ever since I've been going to the games. Although I think it will be great when they place seats around the end zone one day.

Besides, without our RICH donors, we wouldn't have upgraded quicker in the first place and have the fantastic upgrades that are coming. If you were like me as a student, my memories of the games were a little foggy anyway and it didn't matter where I was as long as I was at the game.

rufus
March 9th, 2007, 08:48 AM
As a JMU fan, I can sympathize with your track situation. In fact, I think JMU's track situation is even more frustrating considering we haven't even used the track in our football stadium since we built a brand new track and field facility a few years. Now we have a our endzone athletic performance center sitting on one section of the track, and endzone bleachers sitting on another section. The track was even painted over to make it less noticable (which obviously wasn't much of an improvement). JMU is supposedly rebuilding one side of the stadium after the 2007 season, so hopefully they'll build on top of that track.

MplsBison
March 9th, 2007, 09:10 AM
IMO, the best way to get rid of a track would be to sink the field and expand the seating downward.

Anything like this in the plans for JMU or ASU?

Normally, the water table would be an issue but since you both have fieldturf, there shouldn't be any draining problems.

GGASU
March 9th, 2007, 09:54 AM
IMO, the best way to get rid of a track would be to sink the field and expand the seating downward.

Anything like this in the plans for JMU or ASU?

Normally, the water table would be an issue but since you both have fieldturf, there shouldn't be any draining problems.

I agree that would be the best solution. We have heard that there could be some major problems with dropping it, with a lot of drainage issues under the field. Of course there has been excuses for 30 years on expansion.

Speaking of fieldturf, are the bison going to get rid of the Astroturf anytime soon? I think I would rather play on concrete than astroturf, that stuff destroys football careers.

rufus
March 9th, 2007, 09:55 AM
I can't speak for ASU, but unfortunately the water table is a problem for JMU. Our stadium is positioned with a lake on one side and a stream on another. We can't lower the field without implementing a costly drainage system. From what I've heard, JMU plans to tear down one side of the stadium and rebuild a larger replacement closer to the field. I'm guessing there's a plan to eventually replace the other side as well. We'll know more after our administration releases our expansion plans in May.

MplsBison
March 9th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Speaking of fieldturf, are the bison going to get rid of the Astroturf anytime soon?

If it was up to NDSU I'm sure it would've been done long ago.

The dome has it's own administration that decides everything.

catbob
March 9th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Yes the MSU press boxes are big as well, but I think the main difference is we have seating on three sides, so it diminishes how big it looks. The seats across from the press boxes are the student ones, and are as big as the booster side, and then the endzone seats can hold a thousand+ as well.

And I know the demand for press boxes are very big in Bozeman, but I would rather bowl in the endzone and replace those rickety bleachers than spend money to make both sides press box suites. If we bowled in that endzone at the same height or so as the two sideline sections, we could have 17-20k capacity!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b27/celticmoose/stadium.jpg

appfan2008
March 9th, 2007, 05:07 PM
I like the idea of building a soccer/track area up by the broyhill in order to get rid of the track... and then we could tear up the east stands and move them closer as we move the stadium towards the west. first of all why wouldnt this work? Second this could be why they are holding off adding seats to the east side because they could be tearing them down soon.
That is just what i think they should do and it sure would be awesome if they did what do you all think?

asufan87
March 9th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Besides, without our RICH donors, we wouldn't have upgraded quicker in the first place and have the fantastic upgrades that are coming.

Let's keep "rich" in perspective. The truly "rich" and super wealthy contributors to ASU can probably be counted on one hand. In reality the bulk of these suites will likely be in the names of business and corporate contributors which we desperately need.

AndrewFU21
March 11th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Congrats to ASU fans, this has to be an exciting time for you guys. The press box and football facilities are growing more important these days in terms of helping out recruiting and bringing in more money through box seating and all. Hopefully I would think future plans would include expanding the away side stands and perhaps getting rid of the track if the money is there. One thing I do like about our stadium is that the stands are really close to the field. I think building up the away side could add considerably to the capacity, then put in permanent bathrooms, better concessions, etc. I really hope they don't try to fill in the endzones with seating, as it would hurt the feel of the stadium with people on the hill and the beautiful view of the mountains.

Saint3333
March 11th, 2007, 03:27 PM
I've seen a presentation in which ASU would build up the middle three sections of the east side at first and then fill in other 4 smaller sections a year later. That would bring capacity up to 23K plus whatever the club and box seats will add (btw 500-750 I think).

Minus removing the track I couldn't ask for a better plan, it is an exciting time for Appalachian football.

james_lawfirm
March 12th, 2007, 02:21 PM
IMO, and contrary to the majority of posters here, I have no problem with the track around the field at Kidd-Brewer. The times when I have been to fields where my seat is right up to the field, there are often blind spots. At Gardner-Webb, I remember thinking I could not see the sidelines (especially on the corners) sometimes on the Visitor side where I was. I prefer to be further away, and up higher, like at Kidd-Brewer. But if you fellers can convince the powers that be to remove the track and build the seats closer, then that's fine too, as long as the entire field remains visible from the seats. It just seems to me that as the seats get closer, there will be blind spots.

SoCon48
March 12th, 2007, 08:59 PM
I agree.

SoCon48
March 12th, 2007, 09:08 PM
I think the new pressbox/athletic center is incredible. Everyone needs to just take a breath and relax on the seating issue. I've got a good idea we will see some additional seating on the East Stands this fall. Someone who ought to know, told me there may be as many as 5,000 put in to bring capacity over there to around 10,000 and total seating (w/o the bank) to 21,500. The new facility took precedence over seating because of the revenue it can bring in to help build new seating. I also have a good idea we will see a new track/soccer facility go up in the vicinity of the new baseball stadium sometime in the near future. Then the "retro-fittable seating" that will be put up on the East Side can be taken down, the lower level dug up, a new field moved closer to the West Stands, and new East and South Endzone seating can be installed. A recent article in the Watauga Democrat revealed the university's plan for a new road from the back of the Broyhill Inn & Conferece Center to Hwy 105 near the Dodge Dealership. Instant access to the new baseball stadium, track & soccer complex, and some mighty fine tailgating areas. You guys have got to understand Chancellor Peacock has a plan, but it all can't be revealed, much less built overnight.

I predict new seating in 2012.

crunifan
March 12th, 2007, 11:45 PM
No offense, but that is all they are doing for $30 million?

UNI built a brand new basketball arena for under $30 million. I would think Appalachian State could upgrade the press box a little and spend the majority on adding more and upgrading current seating. Just my personal opinion.

But, the picture does look nice.

Mountaineer
March 13th, 2007, 12:06 AM

UNI built a brand new basketball arena for under $30 million. I would think Appalachian State could upgrade the press box a little and spend the majority on adding more and upgrading current seating. Just my personal opinion.

No, the 32 million is for the entire round of construction - not just the KBS pressbox. Softball field, indoor practice field, new baseball field, supposedly some other stuff too. xhypedx

The McLeod is something else, just wish I would've got to see inside it before I left. xbawlingx xpeacex

crunifan
March 13th, 2007, 12:23 AM
No, the 32 million is for the entire round of construction - not just the KBS pressbox. Softball field, indoor practice field, new baseball field, supposedly some other stuff too. xhypedx

The McLeod is something else, just wish I would've got to see inside it before I left. xbawlingx xpeacex

Ohh, well then that sounds totally reasonable. In fact it sounds like they are getting a lot for their money. I really wish UNI would invest in their own baseball field and attempt to get people to attend the games. We are the best DI baseball team in Iowa and no one even knows or cares.

Yeah, the McLeod is amazing in the inside. A really first class arena. The UNI/Iowa game in there next winter is gonna be off the hook. I can't even imagine the atmosphere of it, since there will be such a demand for tickets.

Mountaineer
March 13th, 2007, 12:43 AM
Ohh, well then that sounds totally reasonable. In fact it sounds like they are getting a lot for their money. I really wish UNI would invest in their own baseball field and attempt to get people to attend the games. We are the best DI baseball team in Iowa and no one even knows or cares.

Yeah, the McLeod is amazing in the inside. A really first class arena. The UNI/Iowa game in there next winter is gonna be off the hook. I can't even imagine the atmosphere of it, since there will be such a demand for tickets.

In the Spring of 05 I took a Geography of Sport class (:o xlolx ) and it was mostly populated by student athletes (mostly football, basketball, and a few baseball players). Interestingly enough we had Hartzell come in for a presentation one day and the baseball situation came up.

He said that UNI definitely wants to get an on-campus baseball some time in future (behind the UNI-Dome) but it's gonna require a decent amount of cash and most of what they had was for improving stuff in the Dome and and the McLeod. Waterloo really isn't that bad of a drive, but not really conducive to getting students out of their dorms when they could take a quick walk across Hudson. So someday I guess.. xrotatehx

hapapp
March 13th, 2007, 08:08 PM

This link will give you an overview of the total project:

http://www.goasu.com/subPage/50/

HiHiYikas
March 14th, 2007, 11:57 AM
recent photos from goasu.com:

http://goasu.com/autoimage/th400_pRjTZDE.jpg