PDA

View Full Version : Summer workouts going well at Sam Houston

exbearkat
July 24th, 2005, 01:23 AM
A lot of catching up to do
By Jason Barfield/Sports Editor

"What is that guys name right there?" someone asks while sitting out at the intramural fields.

"I don't know. I think he is from Mineral Wells," someone responds. "I think his first name is John or something like that."

Then after a quick water break, they get up and run back on the field. But that is the reason most of the Sam Houston State football players are spending four afternoons a week playing football - to get to know each other.

With the loss of five receivers and a quarterback from last year's team, the Bearkats have a lot of ground to cover and fast. That is why quarterbacks Noah Allen and Wade Pate have been working with a group of 10-15 receivers every Monday through Thursday since the beginning of the summer.

Last season Allen watched as Dustin Long...

(full story) http://itemonline.com/articles/2005/07/24/sports/todays_sports/sports01.txt

TexasTerror
July 24th, 2005, 07:17 AM
Our QBs and WRs are working hard. Everyone is talking about how the Kats are going to have a weakness at WR, but we've got some nice guys that have come in. Some solid freshmen, nice transfers (from UH, Ball State and Virginia Tech) and guys who have moved over from other positions to help out with the recieving duties. These Kats will be ready to pass the ball around just like the offense did last year with Dustin Long. There's no missing a step for the Kats this year.

Percieved weakness at WR? Yeah, the same one that's going to end up biting everyone in the tailend!

blackfordpu
July 24th, 2005, 05:46 PM
So, is the starting position at QB still in question?

I was under the impression that Allen was going to be starting and that is what everyone else was thinking too. It sounds as though Pate has a shot at beating him out.

Any thoughts?

TexasTerror
July 24th, 2005, 06:27 PM
Shhhh. We have no starting QB at this time ;)

It's a competition in order to bring out the best in both of them! I think if both of them think they have a shot, they will play better and it's always great to have two QBs who can toss the pill...

blackfordpu
July 24th, 2005, 11:09 PM
So, I have heard A LOT about Allen but I do not know much about Pate. What are his strong and weak points? Is he as mobile as Allen, better arm? Stuff like that. People have been raving about Allen, and yes, he is a great athlete. Someone please give me some info on Pate.