PDA

View Full Version : TXST's Wasson Looking to Grad School, Maybe FB Elsewhere

TexasTerror
March 8th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Starting wide receiver Chase Wasson of the Texas State University - San Marcos Bobcats is looking at moving on elsewhere so he can go about getting a graduate degree. He may or may not finish his football career elsewhere. That is to be seen, but you've got to give credit to someone who said he "left athletics out of it" as he looked at institutions for a graduate program.

Academics come first and this is a great example of a student-athlete being just that. He may end up playing at TXST, but if he wants to get a graduate degree and they don't have it at TXST, I wish him the best of luck in going for it...
------------------
Wide receiver considering finishing football career elsewhere
By Chris Boehm
The University Star

Chase Wasson said to a group of students Wednesday he is planning to pursue graduate school, and his collegiate football career, at another institution.

Wasson, Texas State’s leading wide receiver from the 2006 football season, said he has been accepted for graduate school next year but would not name the institution.

The communications studies senior, who graduates in May, has one year of eligibility remaining to play collegiate sports, but may not get the chance to. He is looking at getting a waiver from the NCAA to play at the institution where he would begin a graduate program in intercollegiate sports administration.

Wasson said he could not pinpoint when he began thinking about playing somewhere else, but the issue arose when he researched graduate programs. Texas State does not offer a graduate program in his desired field of study.

http://star.txstate.edu/content/view/2899/

slycat
March 8th, 2007, 04:21 PM
i agree that its great to see him going for academics over football. he was a great all around player and will be missed. good luck to him in whatever he does.

GeauxColonels
March 8th, 2007, 09:36 PM
I thought I read that they were going to reverse the rule that allows athletes to transfer to a school offering a graduate program that their current school doesn't. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Ralph, you probably know.

McNeese75
March 8th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Very admirable for him to follow his scholastic endeavors. Now, for selfish and obvious reasons, we in McNeese land are not really sad to see he may not be wearing the maroon and gold at Tx State next year (he gave us fits last year :nod: )

Frosty The Snowbuff
March 10th, 2007, 09:51 PM
I thought I read that they were going to reverse the rule that allows athletes to transfer to a school offering a graduate program that their current school doesn't. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Ralph, you probably know.

From what I know.....the ruling has been reversed....those that didn't take advantage of the ruling while it existed are stuck like chuck....

(Check to make sure....that may have been for basketball only)

March 10th, 2007, 11:03 PM
It was reversed.
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=84425

GeauxColonels
March 11th, 2007, 07:41 PM
It was reversed.
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=84425
I knew that you had the answer!

xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

TexasTerror
March 20th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Article today indicates Wasson is looking at I-A school (now known as FBS, of course). Not sure what the NCAA will say to this...

Football: Texas State starts spring practice without Wasson
Web Posted: 03/20/2007 02:09 AM CDT

Jerry Briggs
Express-News

Chase Wasson's future in college football remained in limbo Monday as Texas State opened spring drills without him.

Wasson, a quarterback-receiver who accounted for 12 touchdowns last season, has been on a leave of absence from the Bobcats for the past month.

It's possible that he has played his last game for Texas State.

In a telephone interview, Wasson said he hopes to graduate from Texas State with a degree in communication studies after this semester and then possibly attend graduate school and play at another institution in the fall.

Declining to name the school, he confirmed it is a Division I-A program and that he would need NCAA clearance to play.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/stories/MYSA032007.08D.SpringFootball.34f019e.html

Seat16Demon
April 3rd, 2007, 05:56 PM
TT, any new developments with the Wasson scenario? It's a shame he is looking at a FBS school. NSU happens to have a Master's program in sports administration!xsmiley_wix

TexasTerror
April 3rd, 2007, 06:33 PM
No word on Wasson to my knowledge, perhaps some of the 'Cats folks know that one...

kats89
April 3rd, 2007, 09:57 PM
Can you really say he was that big of an impact?

How much you want to bet he shows up at Rice. Graduate School--Rice..

Baliff--Rice.xnodx

slycat
April 4th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Can you really say he was that big of an impact?

How much you want to bet he shows up at Rice. Graduate School--Rice..

Baliff--Rice.xnodx

yes he was our top wr last year and could mix things up at qb. also he was a great leader.

also no new info that ive come across on where he will be going.

slycat
April 11th, 2007, 01:58 PM
according to the fort worth star telegram, wasson will be transfering to Oklahoma. best of luck to him he will be missed.

http://www.star-telegram.com/288/story/64472.html