PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Redshirt Rules amended to allow players 4 games a season.

IBleedYellow
June 13th, 2018, 12:13 PM
https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/6/13/17460076/ncaa-redshirt-rule-change-2018

This is HUGE. I'd honestly say NDSU just got that much stronger, considering we attempt to redshirt each and every class the comes in.

Now we can still Redshirt classes and still get them some in game reps.

RootinFerDukes
June 13th, 2018, 12:18 PM
Yes this is huge for all programs. It can help with depth and injuries by allowing your true freshman to still get game experience without burning a redshirt year.
You can not play your starters as deep in blowout games, although mike Houston’s greatest weakness is playing starters too deep into some games.

RootinFerDukes
June 13th, 2018, 12:23 PM
I’m assuming there’s no extension of those four games for teams that make the postseason?

Laker
June 13th, 2018, 12:42 PM
I’m assuming there’s no extension of those four games for teams that make the postseason?

Not sure about that. It is a good question.

Professor Chaos
June 13th, 2018, 01:22 PM
I would guess there isn't either but it should make for some interesting decisions by coaching staffs. Do they use up their true frosh's "redshirt games" in the non-conference when games are the least meaningful or do they perhaps hold out and use them in the playoffs when games are the most meaningful? Regardless, I think it's a great change.

Wildcat1997
June 13th, 2018, 01:34 PM
I love this change. This is really going to help us out since we don't have great depth in some places and can play some freshman and still keep them redshirted.

Mocdaddy
June 13th, 2018, 02:06 PM
This should help everyone with depth issues.

nodak651
June 13th, 2018, 03:28 PM
https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/6/13/17460076/ncaa-redshirt-rule-change-2018

This is HUGE. I'd honestly say NDSU just got that much stronger, considering we attempt to redshirt each and every class the comes in.

Now we can still Redshirt classes and still get them some in game reps.

I kinda disagree. This helps teams that weren't in the position to red shirt players more. Now many of their players will have an extra year, vs more practice time for yours.

IBleedYellow
June 13th, 2018, 04:01 PM
I kinda disagree. This helps teams that weren't in the position to red shirt players more. Now many of their players will have an extra year, vs more practice time for yours.To quote a comment I saw somewhere else.

"Great now Alabama's 5* underclassmen get even more GAME TIME experience."

Same thing applies here.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Redbird 4th & short
June 13th, 2018, 05:51 PM
IMO .. this makes a lot more sense for FCS than FBS due to schollies available .. FCS rosters get more depleted tan FBS dealing with same redshirt rules that have to spread all available scholarships over 5 year period. So I think from a budgetary standpoint, I like the idea for FCS. But seems like a stupid idea for FBS ... 4 games is 1/3rd of the FBS season .. a bit much when you have 85 scholarship players to choose from 60 of which are not true freshman. But under no circumstances should FCS or FBS be able to use a redshirt for playoffs. You ought to have to set and declare your roster before playoffs. Football is war of attrition and that is part of the coaching challenge .. have your guys ready for all games, including playoff.

UAalum72
June 13th, 2018, 06:56 PM
Another concern answered: "the Council adopted noncontroversial legislation to specify that midyear enrollees who participate in postseason football competition that occurs before or during the student-athlete’s first term at a school cannot use the exception." I guess that means if you bring in a transfer in December for the championship game, he has to burn the whole year.

Bisonoline
June 13th, 2018, 06:57 PM
I like the new red shirt and transfer rules

Drblankstare
June 13th, 2018, 07:27 PM
I’m almost stunned the NCAA did something this smart.

NDSU1980
June 13th, 2018, 08:00 PM
This rule makes drop down FBS transfers worth even less now. Why fool around with a player that will only give you a couple years when you can recruit a talented kid out of high school and now get 4 years plus 4 extra games out of him?

PAllen
June 13th, 2018, 08:27 PM
Just go to 5 years of eligibility already and be done with it. Or better yet, for the P5, just give up the guise of them being students and just call them what they are, the minor leagues.

NorthChuckSouth
June 13th, 2018, 10:03 PM

I read somewhere earlier that the cutoff is Week 11. I would also assume that there won't be extensions.

WestCoastAggie
June 14th, 2018, 05:35 AM
This really good for the QB position.

PaladinNation
June 14th, 2018, 06:11 AM
What a difference this would have made with several past Furman players.
We seemed to have so many players year after year that just played a tad over the limit.

Big news.

Professor Chaos
June 14th, 2018, 09:00 AM
I read somewhere earlier that the cutoff is Week 11. I would also assume that there won't be extensions.
While still a good change I'd be a bit disappointed if this week 11 cutoff was the case. If a team gets decimated at a particular position in the playoffs it sure would be nice to have a true freshman or two they could utilize for some depth without having to burn a redshirt. Like I said earlier it would also make the coaches think a little harder about whether to use those 4 redshirt games early in the season or "saving them".

RootinFerDukes
June 14th, 2018, 09:11 AM
Other questions/comments I have.

1) will teams be allowed to travel with more players to road games if they want to potentially use more of their roster? I'm sure athletic directors don't like the idea of an ever increasing travel bill though.
2) this has to help all programs with retaining potential transfer student athletes. The top reason they cite for leaving a team is they're upset they're not getting enough playing time and it can be tough for a freshman who was just a super star in HS to suddenly just stand and watch other players out there for an entire season when they get to college. Playing four games can help them feel more invested in a program, I would imagine.

Professor Chaos
June 14th, 2018, 09:54 AM
I'm not so sure there's a cutoff as to when in the season you can use a particular player's 4 games. Judging from this article in the Fargo Forum and quotes from NDSU's head coach Chris Klieman it infers that this option would still be available in the playoffs: http://www.inforum.com/sports/football/4460127-bison-football-all-favor-new-ncaa-rule-allowing-true-freshmen-play

Last year, in the FCS national title game against James Madison, the Bison dressed 56 players out of a maximum allowable of 70 because of injuries.

A few players that did redshirt may have been able to help the Bison on special teams, Klieman said. He pointed to true freshman safety Michael Tutsie, who Klieman said would have been valuable in the playoffs.

WestCoastAggie
June 14th, 2018, 10:00 AM
While still a good change I'd be a bit disappointed if this week 11 cutoff was the case. If a team gets decimated at a particular position in the playoffs it sure would be nice to have a true freshman or two they could utilize for some depth without having to burn a redshirt. Like I said earlier it would also make the coaches think a little harder about whether to use those 4 redshirt games early in the season or "saving them".

I like the fact that there's a cutoff. It's a little unfair to a player to throw or thrust him into a playoff-type situation without anytime of burn before hand.

And with some positions, you'd can use those redshirts as a training camp extension of sorts. If you have a position that lacks veteran experience, you can use those 4 games to determine who can start going into conference play.

A&T could've used this rule back when Lamar Raynard was freshman. He came in with Hassan Klugh, who transferred to Charlotte the same year. Our coaches decided not to burn Raynard's redshirt and instead played Klugh, when our starter Quick got hurt. I believe that was the year we pushed then #5 Coastal Carolina to the wire.

I imagine even how much further Raynard could be if he had the chance to get live ammo and reps in games during his RS season.

Professor Chaos
June 14th, 2018, 10:32 AM
I like the fact that there's a cutoff. It's a little unfair to a player to throw or thrust him into a playoff-type situation without anytime of burn before hand.

And with some positions, you'd can use those redshirts as a training camp extension of sorts. If you have a position that lacks veteran experience, you can use those 4 games to determine who can start going into conference play.

A&T could've used this rule back when Lamar Raynard was freshman. He came in with Hassan Klugh, who transferred to Charlotte the same year. Our coaches decided not to burn Raynard's redshirt and instead played Klugh, when our starter Quick got hurt. I believe that was the year we pushed then #5 Coastal Carolina to the wire.

I imagine even how much further Raynard could be if he had the chance to get live ammo and reps in games during his RS season.
I'd say the coaches know better than the NCAA legislation whether a player is ready be put into a playoff situation.

ST_Lawson
June 14th, 2018, 02:05 PM

You guys just want to be able to get some playing time for these guys when you're beating teams by 40+ in the playoffs (it's pretty sad when the first few rounds of the playoffs are easier than your conference schedule).

Redbird 4th & short
June 14th, 2018, 02:16 PM
Give an inch .. take a mile. It's like anything I suppose .. but I don't quite get it. The whole notion of redshirting in football made some sense because football is such a physically demanding and grinding game .. and it is played in fall .. just 3 months after the kid graduated from HS ... so the redshirt idea makes sense for football. Yet, when you think of it on face value, is a pretty odd accommodation ... spend an extra year in college for free, just so you can be more prepared to play 4 years of a sport. Freshman used to be ineligible to play in games .. now they get to redshirt.

But apparently that isn't enough ... now we want to be able to play 4 games as late into season, (including playoffs) as we want .. just so we can take even more advantage of the redshirt rule. For me, it is college and these are students .. first and foremost. If we let them continue to chip away at that fundamental fact, then we deserve the tarnished game it is becoming.

Here's an thought ... let's move all the college football teams off campus, disassociate them from the schools, put them into towns without benefit of the college environment they take for granted .. call it a minor or semi-pro league .. then see how fast it all fails.

IMO ... We're letting the tail wag the dog way too much when it comes to college sports.

ST_Lawson
June 14th, 2018, 02:34 PM
Here's an thought ... let's move all the college football teams off campus, disassociate them from the schools, put them into towns without benefit of the college environment they take for granted .. call it a minor or semi-pro league .. then see how fast it all fails.

I think only about 1/3 of the FBS (if even that many) can sustain themselves financially. The rest would not be feasible without university support.

LU808
June 14th, 2018, 05:47 PM
Doesn't do much for the "no red shirt" Patriot League!

taper
June 16th, 2018, 04:50 PM
I think only about 1/3 of the FBS (if even that many) can sustain themselves financially. The rest would not be feasible without university support.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/growth-division-i-athletics-expenses-outpaces-revenue-increases
NCAA says in 2013 only 20 FBS schools made money on sports, and all D2/D3 lost money.

PAllen
June 16th, 2018, 06:54 PM
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/growth-division-i-athletics-expenses-outpaces-revenue-increases
NCAA says in 2013 only 20 FBS schools made money on sports, and all D2/D3 lost money.

All paper money tricks. Potential revenue not realized is not a loss.

JayJ79
June 17th, 2018, 02:17 AM
(it's pretty sad when the first few rounds of the playoffs are easier than your conference schedule).
That's been the case for numerous MVFC teams that have made the playoffs the past few years (except most of them end up having to face another MVFC team in their 2nd playoff game)

RootinFerDukes
June 17th, 2018, 05:34 PM
This rule makes drop down FBS transfers worth even less now. Why fool around with a player that will only give you a couple years when you can recruit a talented kid out of high school and now get 4 years plus 4 extra games out of him?

Eh... I don’t see this discouraging coaches from taking transfers. I do see it leading to fewer players seeking transfers though due to seeing SOME playing time early.

RootinFerDukes
June 17th, 2018, 05:37 PM

So if a player is used in the postseason, their redshirt is burned. No exceptions?
They better be consistent with their 43 friggin bowl games too. 2/3 of FBS is now the in “the postseason”.

RootinFerDukes
June 17th, 2018, 05:40 PM

I agree. Four games are four games. Who cares if it’s in September or December?

Anthony215
June 18th, 2018, 07:25 AM
I assume the NCAA has to amend the traveling squad numbers rule to allow for the possibility of additional players getting playing time. Even if they increase the number from 70 to 80 that does wonders. With regards to it lowering the possibility of FBS players dropping down I disagree as QB's want to start not get mop up duty time. If a kid plays 4 games in year one, then the following season only gets in 1 game during mop up duty but sees an chance to be a starter at the FCS level he most definitely will opt to drop down a level for more PT. Hopefully the NCAA brings this rule to D2 football in the near future.