PDA

View Full Version : FCS Vs FBS 2018

JacksFan40
June 6th, 2018, 01:51 PM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/athlonsports.com/college-football/fcs-football-fbs-power-5-upsets-2018%3fam (https://www.google.com/amp/s/athlonsports.com/college-football/fcs-football-fbs-power-5-upsets-2018%3famp)
Pretty good list in my opinion, especially that last one. Any other games you think should be on here?

RootinFerDukes
June 6th, 2018, 02:01 PM
Kennesaw will beat Georgia State.

FUBeAR
June 6th, 2018, 02:23 PM
LOL - Craig Haley throwing a little shade at the bellhops in there. He must like to hate them too. xlolx

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 6th, 2018, 02:29 PM
I have a hard time seeing JMU over NC State. JMU will be breaking in a bunch of new pieces on the road against a good ACC team. If this game was week 3 or 4 they might have a better shot imo. As it is I think the Wolfpack win by 17. NC State beat Furman 49-16 last year

SDSU at Iowa State also seems to be a bit of a reach to open the year given the experienced talent the 'Jacks lost. ISU beat UNI 42-24 last year. This will likely be about the same.

Nicholls over Kansas seems possible as does EWU over Wazzu IF the Eagles are improved. The Cougars lost Falk and have a history of perplexing performances under Leach. I don't know enough about TSU and Vanderbilt.

McNeese72
June 6th, 2018, 03:05 PM
Well, if BYU isn't improved from last season and McNeese is improved from last season, McNeese could make it interesting. That is some big "ifs" though. And both teams will play three games before that game, so we will have some sort of indication what will probably happen going into the game.

Doc

grayghost06
June 6th, 2018, 05:13 PM

I think so too. Kennesaw has shown tremendous progress in the 3 years they've been playing. Last year, they beat FBS transitioning Liberty (who beat P5 Baylor in their opener). They also beat Jacksonville St.
GSU, on the other hand, lost their season opener last year to Tenn St.

RootinFerDukes
June 6th, 2018, 05:54 PM
One thing is certain. Whoever wins, AGS voters will immediately move them to the top 10.

RootinFerDukes
June 6th, 2018, 06:03 PM
I think so too. Kennesaw has shown tremendous progress in the 3 years they've been playing. Last year, they beat FBS transitioning Liberty (who beat P5 Baylor in their opener). They also beat Jacksonville St.
GSU, on the other hand, lost their season opener last year to Tenn St.

I think GSU has dropped the lion share of their FCS games since moving up to FBS. I don’t know the exact record but they have only beaten FCS two times since 2013 and some years had multiple FCS opponents.

KPSUL
June 6th, 2018, 06:12 PM

The article is FCS upsets over power 5 opponents which is why Kennesaw @ Georgia State is not listed.

ElCid
June 6th, 2018, 06:59 PM
LOL - Craig Haley throwing a little shade at the bellhops in there. He must like to hate them too. xlolx

And yet....were we not the last FCS team to beat an SEC team?

Hmm. Sounds like sour grapes to me.

FUBeAR
June 6th, 2018, 07:12 PM
And yet....were we not the last FCS team to beat an SEC team?

Hmm. Sounds like sour grapes to me.

No way. I just learned on here last night that no FCS Team could ever beat an SEC Team...unless they do & then it’s because the FBS Team didn’t try/didn’t care/dog ate their homework/couldn’t get a cab...or something like that.

But, you are 100% correct. I just went to Mr. Haley’s Twitter account to defend y’all’s honor by reminding him of what you reminded me of...but he didn’t Tweet about that article...so...sorry. It’s the thought that counts, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElCid
June 6th, 2018, 07:23 PM
No way. I just learned on here last night that no FCS Team could ever beat an SEC Team...unless they do & then it’s because the FBS Team didn’t try/didn’t care/dog ate their homework/couldn’t get a cab...or something like that.

But, you are 100% correct. I just went to Mr. Haley’s Twitter account to defend y’all’s honor by reminding him of what you reminded me of...but he didn’t Tweet about that article...so...sorry. It’s the thought that counts, right?

LOL. Too funny. I guess USC just didn't care that day. But we manhandled them in the trenches and our FB ran through them with ease most of the day. No doubt we played our "A" game for 60 minutes. They did not. Doesn't matter. A "W" is a W regardless of the reason.

Any level team playing any other level team has to play good enough to win. If they lose, that means they were not as good as the other team that day. And that is all that matters. Doesn't matter what the reason or that they might win 9 out 10, or even 99 out of 100. It really is that simple.

RootinFerDukes
June 6th, 2018, 07:44 PM
The article is FCS upsets over power 5 opponents which is why Kennesaw @ Georgia State is not listed.

It could be FCS upsets over FBS teams and Georgia State would still get overlooked.

ElCid
June 6th, 2018, 08:18 PM
It could be FCS upsets over FBS teams and Georgia State would still get overlooked.

I can't stop laughing.

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 6th, 2018, 08:25 PM

You continue to make comments without proper context. I never said what you're referencing or anything close. FCS teams have beaten SEC teams (Maine vs 3-8 Mississippi State, Jacksonville State vs 4-8 Ole Miss, The Citadel vs 3-9 South Carolina when Spurrier quit midseason come to mind) and will continue to do so. Transitional Georgia Southern beat a 4-8 Florida team in 2014. FCS will not however, beat SEC teams that finished ranked but maybe once every 15-25 years? If that?

Your Bears fought hard on the scoreboard (14 pts) but ultimately lost to a damn good Auburn team. In addition to a nice moral victory you got some positive exposure in the Southeast and a great payday. That's commendable but at the end of the day I think there's better accomplishments to be had for a young program.

I can't wait for the Yale-Mercer game this year!

FUBeAR
June 6th, 2018, 08:49 PM
You continue to make comments without proper context. I never said what you're referencing or anything close. FCS teams have beaten SEC teams (Maine vs 3-8 Mississippi State, Jacksonville State vs 4-8 Ole Miss, The Citadel vs 3-9 South Carolina when Spurrier quit midseason come to mind) and will continue to do so. Transitional Georgia Southern beat a 4-8 Florida team in 2014. FCS will not however, beat SEC teams that finished ranked but maybe once every 15-25 years? If that?

Your Bears fought hard on the scoreboard (14 pts) but ultimately lost to a damn good Auburn team. In addition to a nice moral victory you got some positive exposure in the Southeast and a great payday. That's commendable but at the end of the day I think there's better accomplishments to be had for a young program.

I can't wait for the Yale-Mercer game this year!

Yes, when I am joking around; proper context and perfect truth are limitations that I tend to ignore. C’mon, have you ever actually seen a duck, a monkey, and a toucan walk into a bar?

Planning to be in New Haven that day. Going to a Football Game is about the only way I would ever be allowed anywhere near an Ivy League campus. Should be fun.

Hope the outcome will be much better than my last trip North with the Bears. Went up to Marist with a shot to win the PFL & make the FCS Playoffs in their 1st year playing Football since 1942 and, instead, turned the ball over 6 times (after only turning it over 9 times in 10 prior games) leading to a relatively ugly loss to a very good Marist Team. On the other hand, it was sunny & about 60 degrees in NY in Mid-November & the campus was way-cool & tailgating on the banks of the Hudson River didn’t suck. All-in-all, I had a great time & expect to in CT, as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

grayghost06
June 6th, 2018, 09:12 PM

So very true. If Georgia State wins a game at Turner Field, but no one is there watching,....did they really win?

ElCid
June 6th, 2018, 09:48 PM
The Citadel vs 3-9 South Carolina when Spurrier quit midseason come to mind)

And we all know why he quit. Didn't want to face the music that he knew was coming.xlolx

grayghost06
June 6th, 2018, 11:04 PM
And we all know why he quit. Didn't want to face the music that he knew was coming.xlolx

The Citadel caused another SEC coach to be fired too. Their upset of Arkansas in 1992 caused Jack Crowe to lose his job (the day after the game). Apparently the shame of losing to the bellhops is too much for their alumni to stomach.

PS, I was rooting for El Cid in both games and was happy for them.

Bisonoline
June 6th, 2018, 11:27 PM
The Citadel caused another SEC coach to be fired too. Their upset of Arkansas in 1992 caused Jack Crowe to lose his job (the day after the game). Apparently the shame of losing to the bellhops is too much for their alumni to stomach.

I was at that game.

Catatonic
June 7th, 2018, 06:52 AM

So if Nick Saban suddenly resigns this summer we will know why.

BEAR
June 7th, 2018, 07:57 AM

That was a good day. Pig fans jumping off bridges. Fires set to stores. Cats and dogs sleeping together. Earthquakes. Famine. Desolation of desolations.

Bear fans laughed.

Talk about a team that doesn't belong in the SEC. xthumbsupxxlolx

ST_Lawson
June 7th, 2018, 08:47 AM
WIU at Illinois should be on this list

Last year, Illinois went 2-10 with a only 3-pt win over Ball State and 13-pt win over Western Kentucky. At the end of the season, Sagarin had the Illini ranked #126 in all of DI, below teams like Akron, UNLV, and UMass. In fact, by ranking alone, they would have been 8th in the MVFC, ahead of only SIU, MSU, and INSU. Most sites I've looked at aren't projecting U of I to improve much, if any, this year vs last year.

Last year, WIU went 8-4 with regular season losses to USD, NDSU, and SDSU (all playoff teams) and then by 2 points at Weber State in the playoffs. At the end of the season, Sagarin had the Leathernecks ranked #82 in all of DI. How things will change from last year to this year remains to be seen, since it's harder to find predictions for FCS teams this far out. WIU has also beaten FBS teams in each of the last two years (although not P5 teams).

If the game was played at the end of last season, Massey's matchup predictor has WIU a likely 27-24 winner, with about a 59% win probability.

I'm not saying we will win, or that we'll even be favored, but I think the matchup is close enough to at least deserve a mention.

OhioHen
June 7th, 2018, 09:47 AM
Yes, when I am joking around; proper context and perfect truth are limitations that I tend to ignore. C’mon, have you ever actually seen a duck, a monkey, and a toucan walk into a bar?

Almost, but I think the toucan flew in.

VandalBasher
June 7th, 2018, 11:42 AM
I know this is an article about FCS taking on the bigger of the big boys, but the MWC sure thinks it is the P6.

1. UC Davis at San Jose State, 30AUG18

http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/23/san-jose-state-spartans

2. Portland State at Nevada, 1SEP18

http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/2440/nevada-wolf-pack

3. Duq at Hawaii, 22SEP18

http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/62/hawai'i-rainbow-warriors

JacksFan40
June 7th, 2018, 12:08 PM

Last year, Illinois went 2-10 with a only 3-pt win over Ball State and 13-pt win over Western Kentucky. At the end of the season, Sagarin had the Illini ranked #126 in all of DI, below teams like Akron, UNLV, and UMass. In fact, by ranking alone, they would have been 8th in the MVFC, ahead of only SIU, MSU, and INSU. Most sites I've looked at aren't projecting U of I to improve much, if any, this year vs last year.

Last year, WIU went 8-4 with regular season losses to USD, NDSU, and SDSU (all playoff teams) and then by 2 points at Weber State in the playoffs. At the end of the season, Sagarin had the Leathernecks ranked #82 in all of DI. How things will change from last year to this year remains to be seen, since it's harder to find predictions for FCS teams this far out. WIU has also beaten FBS teams in each of the last two years (although not P5 teams).

If the game was played at the end of last season, Massey's matchup predictor has WIU a likely 27-24 winner, with about a 59% win probability.

I'm not saying we will win, or that we'll even be favored, but I think the matchup is close enough to at least deserve a mention.
WIU can definitely win if they’re as good as last year. I’d say WIU wins 31-28.

ElCid
June 7th, 2018, 02:52 PM

I remember it well. Razorback implosion.

Mattymc727
June 7th, 2018, 02:58 PM
Anyone want to bite on UNH over Colorado? Would have been a good candidate for this particular list.

Schism55
June 7th, 2018, 04:02 PM
Anyone want to bite on UNH over Colorado? Would have been a good candidate for this particular list.
A couple of years ago for sure. But ive seen the Buffs in person a few times last 2 seasons and they've turned a small corner or 2. Have gotten much better at developing talent.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 7th, 2018, 05:08 PM
A couple of years ago for sure. But ive seen the Buffs in person a few times last 2 seasons and they've turned a small corner or 2. Have gotten much better at developing talent.

This here.

Buffs will smoke UNH this here.

KPSUL
June 7th, 2018, 10:04 PM

I have to agree. The UNH defense Is good enough to hang with them, but not enough offensive firepower to make a good game out of it. The best I'm hoping for is a good first half and a loss by 20ish.

The only intangible in this game is the UNH connection to the Boulder Campus. Each year UNH presents an award to a player selected as the most outstanding teammate in honor of UNH wide receiver Todd
Walker who died heroically on March 18, 2011 in Boulder, when he stepped in front of a gunman during an attempted robbery to save the life of a woman.

aceinthehole
June 10th, 2018, 04:00 PM
3. Duq at Hawaii, 22SEP18

http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/_/id/62/hawai'i-rainbow-warriors

I'm not ready to predict a victory or anything, but I feel CCSU has a much better odds for the FBS upset in their Aug. 30 game at Ball State.

Duquesne would be hard pressed to fly out to the middle of the Pacific Ocean and kncok off the Rainbow Warriors.

UpstateBison
June 10th, 2018, 07:58 PM

Agree. The Illini are terrible and I will not be surprised to see a Leatherneck win.

VandalBasher
June 10th, 2018, 08:17 PM
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vRiPe0Z2dp01UObVUL_XOPV9qe49JUGEibEXrEHfmTRKf3FSc ewcbkREt5e_GZT27GzHNoSHkRT2muc/pubhtml#

Of any of the games, the UC Davis game against SJSU should be the closest. The link above as the Spartans with a 57% chance of a W. All of the other games are in the 80-90% range.

Use the hyperlinks at the top.