PDA

View Full Version : Athlon Sports 2018 Projected Playoff Field

JMUNJ08
June 6th, 2018, 11:42 AM
https://athlonsports.com/college-football/projected-fcs-playoff-qualifiers-2018

Seems pretty good to me!

Professor Chaos
June 6th, 2018, 12:15 PM
I'd have a tough time only seeing 3 of 14 Big Sky teams (including UND and Idaho) in the field. I could also see another SOCON team like Furman getting in to get them to 3. I'd assume the MVFC with 5 and the SLC with 3 bids would be the toughest to achieve.

Anyone's guess is as good as mine at this point though as to what the playoff field will look like.

JMUNJ08
June 6th, 2018, 12:24 PM
I'd have a tough time only seeing 3 of 14 Big Sky teams (including UND and Idaho) in the field. I could also see another SOCON team like Furman getting in to get them to 3. I'd assume the MVFC with 5 and the SLC with 3 bids would be the toughest to achieve.

Anyone's guess is as good as mine at this point though as to what the playoff field will look like.

Is Idaho eligible for the playoffs this year? Was not sure on their scholly level, etc.

But I'd agree with the MVFC/ SLC points. The problem is I cannot say which out of those teams would be the outlier. It will come down to perceived SOS (SLC) and getting to at least 6 quality wins (MVFC) which have been both leagues undoing in good teams missing the field. I think the CAA has the best chance to get the 5 projected here. Could also toss in Stony Brook as well, replacing Elon would be my guess. The league is improving once again after a few 'down' years and should have a floor of 4 teams if things go haywire.

Professor Chaos
June 6th, 2018, 12:35 PM
Is Idaho eligible for the playoffs this year? Was not sure on their scholly level, etc.

But I'd agree with the MVFC/ SLC points. The problem is I cannot say which out of those teams would be the outlier. It will come down to perceived SOS (SLC) and getting to at least 6 quality wins (MVFC) which have been both leagues undoing in good teams missing the field. I think the CAA has the best chance to get the 5 projected here. Could also toss in Stony Brook as well, replacing Elon would be my guess. The league is improving once again after a few 'down' years and should have a floor of 4 teams if things go haywire.
Idaho is eligible for the playoffs this year I think. At least I thought I've seen VandalBasher say that on this board for what it's worth. I think for their last few years in FBS they were in the mid 70s for scholarships and then they signed a pretty small recruiting class this year to get down to 63.

IBleedYellow
June 6th, 2018, 12:35 PM

There is no precedent for FBS to FCS....so we should assume that if they are @ 63 scholarships they'll be good to go.

JMUNJ08
June 6th, 2018, 12:57 PM
There is no precedent for FBS to FCS....so we should assume that if they are @ 63 scholarships they'll be good to go.

So we are in a lawless society? Figures the vandals would be the ones to do it (inserted terrible dad joke).

Agreed its not D2 to D1 but wasn't sure on schollies or if they could win the auto bid. Usually the auto bid is a sign they are eligible/ ineligible as well.

Professor Chaos
June 6th, 2018, 01:01 PM
Looks like Idaho is eligible for the Big Sky autobid as well: https://athlonsports.com/college-football/4-college-football-teams-changing-fcs-affiliations-2018

Idaho, which has returned to the Big Sky, and Campbell [Big South] are eligible for their respective conference titles and bids to the playoffs.

I know UND is not eligible for the Big sky auto this year but can obviously still receive an at-large.

SU DOG
June 6th, 2018, 01:08 PM
I think Furman should be going back again.

Catbooster
June 6th, 2018, 01:14 PM
Based on this and the top 25 article, Haley really likes Bobby Hauck. Seems like he's largely basing that on Bobby's record at UM 9-15 years ago and Montana's reputation (which they haven't lived up to for a while). Hauck may very well get the Griz back to being a perennial contender, but I have my doubts that it will be this quick. They're going to have to win a few games to get much consideration on my poll. They had a decent record last year but it was against some pretty bad teams.

Any Griz fans that want to point out what I'm missing? It's time to start thinking about that Poll Perfection mulligan for doing the pre-season poll.

PaladinFan
June 6th, 2018, 01:29 PM
I think Furman should be going back again.

Hot take. Furman, Samford, and WCU are in the post season. Wofford stays home.

VandalBasher
June 6th, 2018, 01:45 PM
Yes, the Vandals are eligible for the FCS playoffs this year based on 63 scholarships. I see a a 7-4 season for the Vandals. We have one of the easiest schedules. We don't play Sac. St, Weber or NAU.

The tough games are EWU (Spokane), and UM and SUU (Moscow).

As far as predictions, we will see. I don't have anything to base a prediction off of except we were very close to making a second bowl game last year and a weak Vandal team handled a very good BSC team (Sac. St.).

FUBeAR
June 6th, 2018, 03:04 PM
Hot take. Furman, Samford, and WCU are in the post season. Wofford stays home.Agreed, but you’re 1 shy - Chatt or Mercer or both (and not WCU) also find a ticket to the dance.

PaladinFan
June 6th, 2018, 03:50 PM
Agreed, but you’re 1 shy - Chatt or Mercer or both (and not WCU) also find a ticket to the dance.

I will have to see more out of UTC. They did not look remotely ready to make a playoff push last year. You aren't going to win in the SoCon with the offensive line play I saw out of their group last season.

I like Mercer as a dark horse for a playoff spot. They lost a couple of key defensive players, but to me their biggest question marks are on offense. Specifically receiver.

I can go either way on WCU. They will go as far as Tyrie Adams takes them. We've seen, though, that a single transcendent QB at the FCS level can carry a team.

Schism55
June 6th, 2018, 04:04 PM
Is that right, Delaware hasn't made the playoffs since they played for the title in 2010? Dang xeyebrowx

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 6th, 2018, 04:05 PM
Colgate seems to be the pick and I think rightfully so. Their QB should vie for 1st team All PL honors. They also return a good group of skill guys. Their defense is usually tough but it can be had by teams with diverse offenses. They travel to Lehigh in November. The Mountain Hawks have had their number (6-2) this decade. Hopefully the Raiders rep the league well in the OOC. The PL desperately needs an image makeover.

I'll be shocked if a team goes undefeated in league play. I think it comes down to a tie-breaker.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 6th, 2018, 04:31 PM
SDSU will not make the playoffs this year.

UpstateBison
June 6th, 2018, 04:38 PM
I will have to see more out of UTC. They did not look remotely ready to make a playoff push last year. You aren't going to win in the SoCon with the offensive line play I saw out of their group last season.

I like Mercer as a dark horse for a playoff spot. They lost a couple of key defensive players, but to me their biggest question marks are on offense. Specifically receiver.

I can go either way on WCU. They will go as far as Tyrie Adams takes them. We've seen, though, that a single transcendent QB at the FCS level can carry a team.

Furman, Samford and Chatt make the playoffs from SoCon. Wofford has the talent but new coach learning curve. SoCon will not get 4 teams in playoffs. I think Chatt has the talent and learned from the debacle of last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UpstateBison
June 6th, 2018, 04:40 PM

Bold prediction Cotton! Good discussion point when I see you at the Delaware game.

TheKingpin28
June 6th, 2018, 05:03 PM

And Thumper just boycotted the honey. xlolx

FUBeAR
June 6th, 2018, 05:14 PM
SoCon will not get 4 teams in playoffs.

Yep - That’s what EVERYONE said in 2016 when FUBeAR guaranteed 4 from the SoCon on August 1st of that year. Many, then, said “only 1,” and some said, “...maybe 2, but that’s a long shot.” I believe the term “village idiot” was even used to characterize the only one on this board (or maybe anywhere) who predicted that would happen. Well, my SoCon friends from CIT, Chatt, Sammy, & Woffy worked very hard to prove me right.

Callin’ it early this year...4 Playoff Teams from the SoCon in 2018. As Coach Eric Cartman says, “Mark my words!”

* BTW - I predicted only 3 from the SoCon last year...and there were, yep, 3.

mvemjsunpx
June 6th, 2018, 05:29 PM
Based on this and the top 25 article, Haley really likes Bobby Hauck. Seems like he's largely basing that on Bobby's record at UM 9-15 years ago and Montana's reputation (which they haven't lived up to for a while). Hauck may very well get the Griz back to being a perennial contender, but I have my doubts that it will be this quick. They're going to have to win a few games to get much consideration on my poll. They had a decent record last year but it was against some pretty bad teams.

Any Griz fans that want to point out what I'm missing? It's time to start thinking about that Poll Perfection mulligan for doing the pre-season poll.

Haley came into the job immediately after Hauck left UM, so maybe he felt jipped. xlolx

I'd be quite surprised if the Griz made the playoffs this year. I thought firing Stitt to get Hauck was stupid when it happened, and nothing that's happened since has changed my mind on that.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 6th, 2018, 07:07 PM
Bold prediction Cotton! Good discussion point when I see you at the Delaware game.

Looking forward to it....xthumbsupx

Just a "gut" feeling on the prediction of no playoffs for the Jacks this year.

- - - Updated - - -

Seeing is believing....:D

ElCid
June 6th, 2018, 07:12 PM
Hot take. Furman, Samford, and WCU are in the post season. Wofford stays home.

I agree with Wofford out, maybe, but not necessarily replaced by WCU. Maybe. But Mercer, or my Dogs could sneak in as easily as WCU. As always, it could be a fur ball.

Mike296
June 6th, 2018, 08:02 PM
OVC is not a 2 bid conference, sorry but it’s just going to be one of either us or JSU, unless we get a surprise this year from Murray State or EIU

JSUSoutherner
June 6th, 2018, 09:26 PM
OVC is not a 2 bid conference, sorry but it’s just going to be one of either us or JSU, unless we get a surprise this year from Murray State or EIU

I mean if you guys go 9-2 and we go 11-0 I really don't see how we don't both get in. What would really help is if we could get EIU, UTM, and TSU at 6 or 7 wins.

katss07
June 6th, 2018, 09:43 PM
This list seems alright. I like that they have Sam as the SLC Champ! I see the Southland as a two bid league so having Nicholls in as an at large also makes sense. I do think those two teams (Sam and Nicholls) will be the best in the conference. Conference will could be wide open this year though.

I’m not sold on Wofford or Austin Peay. Jacksonville State, despite the playoff struggles, is still the better team IMO. And the OVC is a one bid league. I know Montana being back in the playoffs would make a lot of folks around here happy...

Thumper 76
June 7th, 2018, 12:31 AM
Way to take all the suspense out of the season for me.

Takes a lot more than the internet to get me to boycott anything, much less good honey.

PaladinFan
June 7th, 2018, 04:49 AM
Furman, Samford and Chatt make the playoffs from SoCon. Wofford has the talent but new coach learning curve. SoCon will not get 4 teams in playoffs. I think Chatt has the talent and learned from the debacle of last year.

Wofford is an enigma this year. I was not in the room, so I don’t know what the plan was, but from an outsider’s perspective it sure does look like they’ve had an awful offseason. I don’t I have seen a program bungle the transition from long-time coach to successor like Wofford did this year.

That said, the Terrier’s should have a stout defense. Will it matter that the new defensive coordinator is (I think) in his late 20s and has never coached in the SoCon? Lookign at their coaching staff, it appears only one defensive coach has ever been a full time primary position coach at the D1 level, and he was the defensive line coach at VMI (arguably the worst FCS team in the country). Will that inexperience make a difference? Especially with a first year head coach?

Offensively, they’ve lost a lot of talented players. Wade Lang is a veteran coach, but even Wofford fans have grown weary of his lack of offensive creativity and aversion to the forward pass.

The Terriers were the league’s most veteran squad last year and won by razor thin margins all season. This season they will have arguably a less talented team lead by a largely inexperienced coaching staff going against a league where most of the teams return most of their key contributors. In my opinion, they’ll go as far as their defense will carry them

FUBeAR
June 7th, 2018, 05:48 AM
Wofford is an enigma this year. I was not in the room, so I don’t know what the plan was, but from an outsider’s perspective it sure does look like they’ve had an awful offseason. I don’t I have seen a program bungle the transition from long-time coach to successor like Wofford did this year.

That said, the Terrier’s should have a stout defense. Will it matter that the new defensive coordinator is (I think) in his late 20s and has never coached in the SoCon? Lookign at their coaching staff, it appears only one defensive coach has ever been a full time primary position coach at the D1 level, and he was the defensive line coach at VMI (arguably the worst FCS team in the country). Will that inexperience make a difference? Especially with a first year head coach?

Offensively, they’ve lost a lot of talented players. Wade Lang is a veteran coach, but even Wofford fans have grown weary of his lack of offensive creativity and aversion to the forward pass.

The Terriers were the league’s most veteran squad last year and won by razor thin margins all season. This season they will have arguably a less talented team lead by a largely inexperienced coaching staff going against a league where most of the teams return most of their key contributors. In my opinion, they’ll go as far as their defense will carry them
Well, I kind of hate to pile on, but I think you didn’t even mention the Anklebiters potentially biggest area of “WTF?” - Offensive Line.

2017 - A highly-respected, 14 year veteran SoCon OL Coach & 4 Sr. Starters - 3 (I think) were All SoCon...maybe all 4

2018 - An OL Coach with 2 years experience as a HS Community (Part-time) OL Coach & 1 year as a Grad Asst. TE Coach at a D2 School in Mexico...or New Mexico, maybe. An OL corps with 3 FR, 6 R-Fr, 4 SO’s, & 3 Jr’s returning. 1 Full-Time Starter & another who Started 5 games.

As we saw with the bellhops last year, if that type of O doesn’t have a very good OL, games will not be won. Their new OL Coach may be the next Robbie Caldwell & those ‘babies’ they will have starting may all become 1st round NFL Draft picks, but right now, I think the jury is not only out, they haven’t even been empaneled.

PaladinFan
June 7th, 2018, 05:56 AM
Well, I kind of hate to pile on, but I think you didn’t even mention the Anklebiters potentially biggest area of “WTF?” - Offensive Line.

2017 - A highly-respected, 14 year veteran SoCon OL Coach & 4 Sr. Starters - 3 (I think) were All SoCon...maybe all 4

2018 - An OL Coach with 2 years experience as a HS Community (Part-time) OL Coach & 1 year as a Grad Asst. TE Coach at a D2 School in Mexico...or New Mexico, maybe. An OL corps with 3 FR, 6 R-Fr, 4 SO’s, & 3 Jr’s returning. 1 Full-Time Starter & another who Started 5 games.

As we saw with the bellhops last year, if that type of O doesn’t have a very good OL, games will not be won. Their new OL Coach may be the next Robbie Caldwell & those ‘babies’ they will have starting may all become 1st round NFL Draft picks, but right now, I think the jury is not only out, they haven’t even been empaneled.

As an aside, I saw one of Wofford's recent OL recruits as a high school player. FCS type size, but struggled to block smaller quicker defenders. Not sure how that is going to translate up to D1 football.

Gangtackle11
June 7th, 2018, 07:47 AM
So looking at Athlon’s top 25 & projected playoff field....here is the 1st of many 2018 bracket guesses on AGS:

San Diego @ Montana winner vs. 1 NDSU
Nicholls St. @ Samford winner vs. 8 Sam Houston State

McNeese State @ UNI vs. 4 South Dakota State
Austin Peay @ Delaware vs. 5 Kennesaw State

Illinois State @ Weber St. vs. 6 Eastern Washington
Colgate @ Villanova vs. 3 UNH

Wofford @ Elon vs. 7 Jacksonville State
Duquesne @ Youngstown St. vs. 2 JMU

I switched the Athlon 7&8 seeds for the regionalization aspect.

JSUSoutherner
June 7th, 2018, 07:57 AM
So looking at Athlon’s top 25 & projected playoff field....here is the 1st of many 2018 bracket guesses on AGS:

San Diego @ Montana winner vs. 1 NDSU
Nicholls St. @ Samford winner vs. 8 Sam Houston State

McNeese State @ UNI vs. 4 South Dakota State
Austin Peay @ Delaware vs. 5 Kennesaw State

Illinois State @ Weber St. vs. 6 Eastern Washington
Colgate @ Villanova vs. 3 UNH

Wofford @ Elon vs. 7 Jacksonville State
Duquesne @ Youngstown St. vs. 2 JMU

I switched the Athlon 7&8 seeds for the regionalization aspect.

The only way KSU and JSU both end up seeded is if we both roll into SunTrust with 10-0 records. If that happens the winner of that game will likely be a little higher than a 5 seed.

Gangtackle11
June 7th, 2018, 09:00 AM
The only way KSU and JSU both end up seeded is if we both roll into SunTrust with 10-0 records. If that happens the winner of that game will likely be a little higher than a 5 seed.

Yes. I suspect Athlon will get a lot wrong in the end. I killed a half hour on this. xpeacex

PaladinFan
June 7th, 2018, 09:12 AM
Yes. I suspect Athlon will get a lot wrong in the end. I killed a half hour on this. xpeacex

They are definitely an outlier.

I wish I could afford to be as bad at my job as some sports writers are at theirs.

IBleedYellow
June 7th, 2018, 09:25 AM
You guys. It's barely even been summer. Slow your roll.

PaladinFan
June 7th, 2018, 10:15 AM

Maybe where you are. In Georgia summer starts in early April.

dewey
June 7th, 2018, 10:29 AM

What? We are only 86 days from banner raising IBY! Get fired up!!!:D

Dewey

IBleedYellow
June 7th, 2018, 11:39 AM
Maybe where you are. In Georgia summer starts in early April.

Exactly.

Slow. Your. Roll.

PaladinFan
June 7th, 2018, 12:13 PM
Exactly.

Slow. Your. Roll.

You seem to misunderstand the south's interest in college football.

Mike296
June 7th, 2018, 12:19 PM
Am I wrong for thinking that if we Go undefeated we get a 3 seed? I know we won’t beat Georgia, but if we go 10-1 we should have a decent seed

JSUSoutherner
June 7th, 2018, 01:20 PM
Am I wrong for thinking that if we Go undefeated we get a 3 seed? I know we won’t beat Georgia, but if we go 10-1 we should have a decent seed

If you guys are our only loss and we beat NCAT and KSU and both those teams aren't trash then maybe.

IBleedYellow
June 7th, 2018, 01:49 PM
You seem to misunderstand the south's interest in college football.

I JUST GOT THE SEASON TICKET CALL!! I TAKE BACK EVERYTHING I SAID!

FOOTBAWWWLLLLLLL PAWWWWLLLL!!!

ursus arctos horribilis
June 7th, 2018, 01:59 PM

xlolx

I think I paid for mine like 2 months ago but the post is great IBY.

FUBeAR
June 7th, 2018, 02:44 PM

http://wx3.sinaimg.cn/bmiddle/697b3ffbgy1fi6cr27mjog207g07gkjl.jpg

Silenoz
June 7th, 2018, 02:59 PM

If we're better than 6-5 I'd be shocked.

Then again, who knows. We try as hard as we can to lose every game and still go 7-4ish, so *shrug*

Go...gate
June 7th, 2018, 03:07 PM
Glad to see Colgate as the Patriot League favorite, but it will be a three-team race with Fordham and defending champion Lehigh. Colgate gets both on the road this season. I'm thinking that the Rams or Engineers will grab PL honors, but if Colgate can win against both, the Red Raiders deserve the title.

Would LOVE to see Colgate win at least one of its road games over William & Mary, UNH or Furman. Also looking forward to the game at West Point, which is the renewal of a fine old series.

katss07
June 7th, 2018, 05:55 PM
It’ll be interesting to see (if your scenario happens) what the committee does. We know they have a thing for JSU. What do they do if APSU goes “undefeated”? I’m just as clueless as you.

IBleedYellow
June 7th, 2018, 06:49 PM
xlolx

I think I paid for mine like 2 months ago but the post is great IBY.I've been trying to get season tickets since I was in college in 2012. I FINALLY GOT THEM!!!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

cx500d
June 7th, 2018, 08:53 PM

Wow....Bold

CID1990
June 8th, 2018, 04:07 AM
Nobody in Chucktown has any idea what to expect out of El Cid this year.

The only real known factors are that our OL will be improved, and our QB is much more athletic and has a strong, accurate arm. We will almost certainly throw the ball more.

If our OL performs, we'll be better than .500 in the conference and in the hunt. If not, this season will look a lot like last season.

On paper we had an excellent recruiting class. This might be our best group of knobs in the last 10-15 years

PaladinFan
June 8th, 2018, 07:59 AM
Nobody in Chucktown has any idea what to expect out of El Cid this year.

The only real known factors are that our OL will be improved, and our QB is much more athletic and has a strong, accurate arm. We will almost certainly throw the ball more.

If our OL performs, we'll be better than .500 in the conference and in the hunt. If not, this season will look a lot like last season.

On paper we had an excellent recruiting class. This might be our best group of knobs in the last 10-15 years

Hard to know what to expect of the Bulldogs. They definitely regressed last year. Offensive line struggled and the defense wasn't particularly strong either.

I think they will be a dangerous team, but I'm not prepared to put them in the "hunt." They lost to Mercer, Furman, Samford, and WCU by double digits last season, and I expect those teams should be better or at least as good.

LUHawker
June 8th, 2018, 08:15 AM
Glad to see Colgate as the Patriot League favorite, but it will be a three-team race with Fordham and defensing champion Lehigh.

Wow - the irony of referring to Lehigh as defensing is hilarious!! Obviously, you meant 'defending' as Lehigh had what I believe is the single worst defensive season in its long football-playing history.

Reign of Terrier
June 8th, 2018, 09:33 AM
There's too much uncertainty in the Socon to say anything for sure. We'll get no less than 2 playoff spots, but also probably no more than 3. Four is more likely than just one, but that's not very likely.

I think if we're going to go by consistency, Samford is the most likely to at least make the playoffs, if not win the conference outright. If I were going to go simply by "what normally happens" I'd say that Western and Mercer will be so close, yet so far, Wofford and Furman on the bubble, with Chattanooga and the Citadel still on the radar.

I think there's a lot of potential for at least one team having a change in fortune, either being radically improved and returning to prior "glory" (Chattanooga, Citadel...weird to have those two listed with glory in the same sentence) or making strides as a program, going farther than before (Mercer, Western, ETSU). Honestly, the team that's almost certainly going to not improve on last year's record is Wofford. I'd be we'll lose a game or two more.

All these names being thrown around just says that no one knows what the heck's going on in the socon, which speaks to its increased strength and volatility.

PaladinFan
June 8th, 2018, 09:59 AM
There's too much uncertainty in the Socon to say anything for sure. We'll get no less than 2 playoff spots, but also probably no more than 3. Four is more likely than just one, but that's not very likely.

I think if we're going to go by consistency, Samford is the most likely to at least make the playoffs, if not win the conference outright. If I were going to go simply by "what normally happens" I'd say that Western and Mercer will be so close, yet so far, Wofford and Furman on the bubble, with Chattanooga and the Citadel still on the radar.

I think there's a lot of potential for at least one team having a change in fortune, either being radically improved and returning to prior "glory" (Chattanooga, Citadel...weird to have those two listed with glory in the same sentence) or making strides as a program, going farther than before (Mercer, Western, ETSU). Honestly, the team that's almost certainly going to not improve on last year's record is Wofford. I'd be we'll lose a game or two more.

All these names being thrown around just says that no one knows what the heck's going on in the socon, which speaks to its increased strength and volatility.

I agree with you on Wofford. I do not think they will be as good as they were last year.

Wofford was a whisker's length from losing multiple times last year. The Terriers graduated a lot of key players and will return to face a conference where most teams were quite young last season.

Add to that Wofford will not enjoy the benefit they had last year of playing most of their tough games at home as they will travel to Chattanooga, Greenville, Birmingham, and Cullowhee this year. The Terrier won 3 of those games last year (all at home) by an average margin of victory of just over a field goal. Will the fortunes be so kid to them playing a more experienced version of the same clubs on the road in 2018?

There was common theory that you could never count out a Mike Ayer's team. He would find a way to beat you. Jury is out on whether that will apply to Josh Conklin.

SU DOG
June 8th, 2018, 11:15 AM
Somehow I just feel like UTC will be far better than most folks are thinking.

Go...gate
June 8th, 2018, 12:23 PM
Wow - the irony of referring to Lehigh as defensing is hilarious!! Obviously, you meant 'defending' as Lehigh had what I believe is the single worst defensive season in its long football-playing history.

Fixed it on my post!

FUBeAR
June 13th, 2018, 12:59 AM
Hot take. Furman, Samford, and WCU are in the post season. Wofford stays home.You know what...after further review; I’m going out on a limb & projecting that not only does Woffy stay home, I don’t think they have a winning record.

* New HC with no prior HC experience
* all new Def Staff with, I believe, much less experience than prior staff
* New OL Coach with 0 College OL Coaching experience replacing 15 year SoCon OL Coach veteran
* lost 4 Sr. Starters on OL & starting TE (see above point - that’s a scary situation)
* lost their Starting QB, who had started 26 games for them
* lost Top WR who was CLEARLY their go-to guy whenever they HAD to pass to pick up a key 1st down
* Returning 1.5 Starters on DL & have very few backups with game experience
* lost 3 of 4 Starters at LB & only 6 career starts split among the 1 Jr & 2 Sr’s backups that may move into starting roles
* So only 2.5 out of 7 Starters Returning from their vaunted Front 7 on D
* Only 4 who started vs NDSU are returning on Offense
* Only 5 who started vs NDSU are returning on Defense

That’s just too much Change/Lost & Learning OTJ required to overcome in 1 season. They have some solid Returning Talent in both backfields & in the DL and they’ll still be wearing their Old Gold & Black, but if they make the Playoffs, their new HC deserves SoCon Coach of the Year honors & if they do anything in those Playoffs, he should be in the running for similar National honors.

Yep, FUBeAR is rather Bearish on the Terriers in 2018.

PaladinFan
June 13th, 2018, 06:19 AM
You know what...after further review; I’m going out on a limb & projecting that not only does Woffy stay home, I don’t think they have a winning record.

* New HC with no prior HC experience
* all new Def Staff with, I believe, much less experience than prior staff
* New OL Coach with 0 College OL Coaching experience replacing 15 year SoCon OL Coach veteran
* lost 4 Sr. Starters on OL & starting TE (see above point - that’s a scary situation)
* lost their Starting QB, who had started 25 games for them
* lost Top WR who was CLEARLY their go-to guy whenever they HAD to pass to pick up a key 1st down
* Returning 1.5 Starters on DL & have very few backups with game experience
* lost 3 of 4 Starters at LB & only 6 career starts split among the 1 Jr & 2 Sr’s backups that may move into starting roles
* So only 2.5 out of 7 Starters Returning from their vaunted Front 7 on D
* Only 4 who started vs NDSU are returning on Offense
* Only 5 who started vs NDSU are returning on Defense

That’s just too much Change/Lost & Learning OTJ required to overcome in 1 season. They have some solid Returning Talent in both backfields & in the DL and they’ll still be wearing their Old Gold & Black, but if they make the Playoffs, their new HC deserves SoCon Coach of the Year honors & if they do anything in those Playoffs, he should be in the running for similar National honors.

Yep, FUBeAR is rather Bearish on the Terriers in 2018.

I am inclined to agree with you. I would also factor in that of Wofford's 10 wins a season ago, only 3 of those wins were by more than a touchdown. 2 of those 3 wins were against woefully bad Presbyterian and VMI teams. If you throw out the games against Presbyterian and VMI, Wofford's average margin of victory was 5.5 points last season. That is a very narrow margin.

I look at their 2018 schedule and see two likely wins (VMI and PC). Also, the Terriers will go a month and a half between home games (9/8 to 10/20) and will play at Gibbs only 3 times over their final 9 games.

FUBeAR
June 13th, 2018, 08:20 AM
Also, the Terriers will go a month and a half between home games (9/8 to 10/20) and will play at Gibbs only 3 times over their final 9 games.Yuck - I didn’t even look at their schedule.

They open at home with CIT, which will be a big game pitting the winners of the last 3 SoCon Championships against one another. I would expect a huge crowd (by Woffy standards) and I think the game could go either way. If CIT’s OLine is not vastly improved, Woffy wins. If it is, I think the bellhops squeak out a close win.

Then VMI visits, in a game that no one except the Players’ Families will want to see, particularly if the AnkleBiters fall to the LuggageToters in the opening week. Not even sure, in that event, that the Players’ Families won’t skip this one either.

THEN - 4 straight road games, of which they very well could lose 3 (Wyoming, Furman, & Chatt)

So, now we’re almost to the end of October and they finally reappear in SparkleCity for Homecoming, having not played a decent Home game in 2 months, sitting at somewhere between 4-2 & 2-4, to face ETSU, in a game that most Woffy fans don’t really want to see, but the Alums will show...to tailgate, at least. By then, though, I’m not sure Woffy fans will even remember if they have a Football Team this year.

Then, an always tough Mercer game at home, which will be decently attended IF they are 5-2; not so much if they are 3-4 or worse. That’s followed by 2 more VERY TOUGH Road games @ Sammy & @ WCU, before they (probably) limp home to close out the season by (probably) thrashing Presbyterian. They could come into that game at 3-7, which I imagine, despite the fact they are historical rivals about 35 miles apart, means there may be less people there than for their earlier VMI game. I don’t see them entering that game any better than 6-4/5-2 in the SoCon & most likely out of the Playoffs.

That truly is just a gosh-awful schedule. Yuck!

PaladinFan
June 13th, 2018, 08:45 AM
Yuck - I didn’t even look at their schedule.

They open at home with CIT, which will be a big game pitting the winners of the last 3 SoCon Championships against one another. I would expect a huge crowd (by Woffy standards) and I think the game could go either way. If CIT’s OLine is not vastly improved, Woffy wins. If it is, I think the bellhops squeak out a close win.

Then VMI visits, in a game that no one except the Players’ Families will want to see, particularly if the AnkleBiters fall to the LuggageToters in the opening week. Not even sure, in that event, that the Players’ Families won’t skip this one either.

THEN - 4 straight road games, of which they very well could lose 3 (Wyoming, Furman, & Chatt)

So, now we’re almost to the end of October and they finally reappear in SparkleCity for Homecoming, having not played a decent Home game in 2 months, sitting at somewhere between 4-2 & 2-4, to face ETSU, in a game that most Woffy fans don’t really want to see, but the Alums will show...to tailgate, at least. By then, though, I’m not sure Woffy fans will even remember if they have a Football Team this year.

Then, an always tough Mercer game at home, which will be decently attended IF they are 5-2; not so much if they are 3-4 or worse. That’s followed by 2 more VERY TOUGH Road games @ Sammy & @ WCU, before they (probably) limp home to close out the season by (probably) thrashing Presbyterian. They could come into that game at 3-7, which I imagine, despite the fact they are historical rivals about 35 miles apart, there may be less people there than for their earlier VMI game. I don’t see them entering that game any better than 6-4/5-2 in the SoCon & most likely out of the Playoffs.

That truly is just a gosh-awful schedule. Yuck!

You forgot a road game to Boiling Springs to play the Runnin' Bulldogs in between road games to Laramie and Chattanooga.

Gardner Webb isn't the 1966 Alabama Crimson Tide, but they are a constant thorn in the side for SoCon teams. They have shown up on Wofford's schedule every season since 2012 except one (2016), and the Terriers are 3-2 against GWU over that span. That one won't be a gimme.

FUBeAR
June 13th, 2018, 08:51 AM
You forgot a road game to Boiling Springs to play the Runnin' Bulldogs in between road games to Laramie and Chattanooga.

Gardner Webb isn't the 1966 Alabama Crimson Tide, but they are a constant thorn in the side for SoCon teams. They have shown up on Wofford's schedule every season since 2012 except one (2016), and the Terriers are 3-2 against GWU over that span. That one won't be a gimme.

Didn’t forget...It’s 1 of the 4 straight road games...I just think they’ll win it...now that they have made the smart move & hired a former Furman Player (who also has Mercer Coaching DNA - his Dad was Mercer’s first OC, but took an HC job before the Bears really got started), who Coached at G-W for the past 3 years. He’s replacing the final holdover from their former Defensive Staff, their LB Coach, who very recently bolted (abandoned ship?) to a HS job in SC...where Woffy’s former OL Coach is now the AD.

...and...because SoCon >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> BigSouth

Oops...forgot, they did retain (so far...stay tuned) their Cornerbacks Coach from last year. He now has 1 year of experience as a ‘real’ position Coach...of 2 guys...under another Coach who was listed as the Secondary Coach & is now at Georgia Tech.

SU DOG
June 13th, 2018, 10:45 AM
I just hope Samford can live up to the hype. Without something devastating, like Hodges going down, I think our offense can. It is the defense that is in question. Last year we were the best in the SoCon against scoring, but gone are 6 starters. Those 6 include a beast of a LB and leading tackler, Shaheed Salmon, who is(at least for now) on the roster of the Tampa Bay Bucs. In the secondary, all conference DB Omari Williams is gone. I could list several others who were mainstays, but the point is we will have to have some new defensive players to step-up big time. We do have some good players returning(like All-American DL Ahmad Gooden), and I certainly don't mean we have to count on true Fr, but still there is some question there.

FUBeAR
June 13th, 2018, 11:30 AM
I just hope Samford can live up to the hype. Without something devastating, like Hodges going down, I think our offense can. It is the defense that is in question. Last year we were the best in the SoCon against scoring, but gone are 6 starters. Those 6 include a beast of a LB and leading tackler, Shaheed Salmon, who is(at least for now) on the roster of the Tampa Bay Bucs. In the secondary, all conference DB Omari Williams is gone. I could list several others who were mainstays, but the point is we will have to have some new defensive players to step-up big time. We do have some good players returning(like All-American DL Ahmad Gooden), and I certainly don't mean we have to count on true Fr, but still there is some question there.
What are your thought on Woffy, SU DOG - their HC Change; the Coaching churn, especially on D; their PlayersLost/Returning; their Schedule, etc.?

The Terriers & the Paladins are the only SoCon Teams that anyone is giving even 1/2 a chance at just trying to keep pace with your LOADED Bulldogs. Be interested in your thoughts on the Paladins as well.

PaladinFan
June 13th, 2018, 11:35 AM

In bit of an odd twist, Samford relied more on their defense than offense last year.

The Bulldog offense was demonstrably less effective in 2017, dropping their scoring offense by a touchdown per game (compared to 2016) and notching 12 fewer touchdowns. Their 39 offensive touchdowns was good for right around the middle of the SoCon pack. There was another notable drop off in run production, which has never been a Chris Hatcher strong suit, but 20 yards a game fewer from 2016.

The defense, in many ways, trended in the other direction, which has been the biggest improvement in Birmnigham. I imagine they will go as far as Hodges and their defensive front can carry them. Hodges may be the single most important player to any teams' success anywhere in the FCS.

The schedule does not do them a lot of favors. There is a five game stretch: @FSU, Mercer, @UTC, @KSU, WCU that may well dictate their season. If they can survive that patch, they should be a strong contender for the post season. They also have three of their last four on the road, and each of them will be significant hauls from Birmingham (Johnson City, Greenville, and Charleston).

SU DOG
June 13th, 2018, 12:44 PM
Paladin Fan you must remember that the O-Line for Samford last year was VERY young with only one upperclassman(a junior). Karel Hamilton was gone, McKnight was injured part of the year, and the bulk of the WRs were Fr. (4) or Soph.(3).

As for FUB's question about other SoCon teams, I will only go on gut feeling and not checking out stats that I probably should consider. I think Wofford will fall off a great deal because of aforementioned comments, and Furman will be right at the top. I have already said that UTC will be better than most think. With Riley returning, Mercer will also be a dangerous upper tier team. I don't think The Citadel will be able to turn it completely around this year, but will in the future. I see them in the lower half with ETSU and VMI. This conference is much stronger than many realize, and predicting anything now is probably foolishness - but admittedly interesting.

BadlandsGrizFan
June 18th, 2018, 12:58 PM

Youre missing the Bobby Affect!!!!!!

Gangtackle11
June 19th, 2018, 11:20 AM
I don’t see Nova as a top 10 or 15 team even with the experience returning from injuries. This team lacks something in the Ferrante era. Losing Talley was inevitable, but losing 2 key asssistants (Crocker to UConn & Trisciani to Elon) really hurts. The staff is either stale or very inexperienced to guide Nova to more than a marginal playoff team at best.

Id say a great season for this Nova team & staff would be to eek in to the playoffs & bow out after getting by the NEC or PL playoff opponent. Easily can see them missing the playoff mark.

Best of this season could be the new turf in the Main Line.

That all said its more than likely Nova will beat the star - studded Delaware Boys. (Cue: Beating the rented mule video) xpeacex

Catbooster
June 20th, 2018, 11:06 AM
Youre missing the Bobby Affect!!!!!!
Thanks. I knew I was missing something :)