PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Conference Establishes Serious Misconduct Rule

wapiti
June 4th, 2018, 05:22 PM
Big Sky Conference Establishes Serious Misconduct Rule (http://www.bobcatnation.com/bobcatbb/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=46143#p630676)

http://www.bigskyconf.com/news/2018/6/4 ... -rule.aspx (http://www.bigskyconf.com/news/2018/6/4/general-big-sky-establishes-serious-misconduct-rule.aspx)

Serious Misconduct Rule: A current or prospective student-athlete who has been convicted of or pled guilty or no contest to a felony or misdemeanor involving Serious Misconduct, or has been subject to official University or athletic department disciplinary action at any time during enrollment at any collegiate institution (excluding limited discipline applied by a sports team or temporary disciplinary action during an investigation) due to Serious Misconduct shall not be eligible for athletically-related financial aid, practice or competition at a Big Sky member institution. For purposes of this provision, “serious misconduct” is defined as any act of sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, stalking, sexual exploitation, or any assault that employs the use of a deadly weapon or causes serious bodily injury.

The rule is effective for all prospective student-athletes beginning with the December 19, 2019, signing period. For all other student-athletes, the rule will go into effect beginning with the 2019-20 academic year. In unique and compelling cases, an institution may request a waiver of the Serious Misconduct Rule. If a waiver is requested, an institutional panel of individuals outside of the athletic department will review and determine if the request warrants approval.

The Serious Misconduct Rule is another step that the Big Sky has taken to help positively shape the student-athlete experience. The Big Sky has hosted a health and wellness symposium over the last five years with topics that addressed mental health needs of student-athletes, stress management, mentoring those that have alcohol and drug issues, bystander intervention, and sexual assault prevention on campuses.

FUBeAR
June 4th, 2018, 05:45 PM
Big Sky Conference Establishes Serious Misconduct Rule (http://www.bobcatnation.com/bobcatbb/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=46143#p630676)

http://www.bigskyconf.com/news/2018/6/4 ... -rule.aspx (http://www.bigskyconf.com/news/2018/6/4/general-big-sky-establishes-serious-misconduct-rule.aspx)
Serious Misconduct Rule: A current or prospective student-athlete who has been convicted of or pled guilty or no contest to a felony or misdemeanor involving Serious Misconduct, or has been subject to official University or athletic department disciplinary action at any time during enrollment at any collegiate institution (excluding limited discipline applied by a sports team or temporary disciplinary action during an investigation) due to Serious Misconduct shall not be eligible for athletically-related financial aid, practice or competition at a Big Sky member institution. For purposes of this provision, “serious misconduct” is defined as any act of sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, stalking, sexual exploitation, or any assault that employs the use of a deadly weapon or causes serious bodily injury.

The rule is effective for all prospective student-athletes beginning with the December 19, 2019, signing period. For all other student-athletes, the rule will go into effect beginning with the 2019-20 academic year. In unique and compelling cases, an institution may request a waiver of the Serious Misconduct Rule. If a waiver is requested, an institutional panel of individuals outside of the athletic department will review and determine if the request warrants approval.

The Serious Misconduct Rule is another step that the Big Sky has taken to help positively shape the student-athlete experience. The Big Sky has hosted a health and wellness symposium over the last five years with topics that addressed mental health needs of student-athletes, stress management, mentoring those that have alcohol and drug issues, bystander intervention, and sexual assault prevention on campuses.

So...no ‘grandfathering’ of current SA’s at Big Sky Schools? So, for example (a completely hypothetical example), if there is currently a rising R-JR, who is a star on a Big Sky Football Team, who transferred to that school after getting booted from, let’s say, Oregon, for getting in a barfight & breaking a guy’s nose in his true FR year (2015) and has had no issues since, then he can play this year, but gets ‘auto-booted’ in 2019.

I guess that’s maybe what the waiver is for. I do support this sort of thing being implemented, but I think current SA’s need to be grandfathered for past indiscretions. I suspect, as I believe was the case at YSU, this policy may end up getting tested in the legal system.

clenz
June 4th, 2018, 06:17 PM
Illinois State will fight this tooth and nail. Throw every punch they can to avoid this being implemented in the MVC/MVFC....

Rofl. Puns are fun. Also sad because I'm not joking.

Redbird 4th & short
June 6th, 2018, 07:59 AM
Illinois State will fight this tooth and nail. Throw every punch they can to avoid this being implemented in the MVC/MVFC....

Rofl. Puns are fun. Also sad because I'm not joking.
I wonder what this code of conduct would have done with this guy ?

http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/update-varmah-sonie-stabbed-after-others-crashed-private-party/article_b9e6c01c-0e0f-11e1-8b7c-001cc4c03286.html

Farley defended him first thing Sunday morning, which was just hours after he got out of hospitaal after being involved in a fight where he got stabbed. Interestingly, he was allowed to play that very week against ISUr, while Shelby Harris was not allowed to suit up for less per Spack's orders. We sat 7-3 in playoff hunt .. lost game in 2 OT. Spack sat Shelby, Farley gave Sonie immediate benefit of doubt and played Sonie.

Just a poke back .. it's allowed ... right ?

clenz
June 6th, 2018, 08:16 AM
The funny thing about that story. He legit didn’t do anything wrong. If you’d Investigate that further, because it’s like 7 years old so you can do that now. He was the one stabbed. Not the one doing the stabbing.

A gang from Waterloo had gone over to Cedar Falls and was causing all kinds of issues. That night alone they were involved in at least 4 known different incidents. He was 100% cleared by the police.

Turns out that gang tried to break into the house he was in. Varma has a mouth on him, I think he lead the conference in taunting penalties. He cocked off, which resulted in him getting stabbed.

Turns out getting stabbed isn’t a crime. Especially assault.

But, you know. Facts. Who needs em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wapiti
June 6th, 2018, 09:25 AM
I wonder if that griz player that got into a fight at a party in Pullman during their bye week and sent a guy to the hospital would have received the punishment due this policy.

As it was the griz suspended him for a game or two and he was back playing.

This new rule could hurt the griz.

clenz
June 6th, 2018, 09:30 AM
Also worth noting that every time 4th and short on brain cells tries to “defend” his program he has to go back like a decade or more to find examples of other MVFC programs having one issue that his schools has multiple of every single year.

Even then, the cases he brings up involve the school kicking the player off the team and potential out of school. Whereas ISU suspends them for 20 seconds of one practice.

IBleedYellow
June 6th, 2018, 12:21 PM
We're going to find out really quick if Hauck has changed his philosophies or not.

Redbird 4th & short
June 6th, 2018, 03:00 PM
Also worth noting that every time 4th and short on brain cells tries to “defend” his program he has to go back like a decade or more to find examples of other MVFC programs having one issue that his schools has multiple of every single year.

Even then, the cases he brings up involve the school kicking the player off the team and potential out of school. Whereas ISU suspends them for 20 seconds of one practice.

you poke the Bear, the Bear responds .. and this bothers you that the Bear responds ?? Very confusing these rules you expect others to live by in the world according to Clenz ...

So when you once again bashed ISU football unprovoked by me or anyone, and out of nowhere ... let's not lose sight of that fact ... you started this ... again, right Clenz ??

So what all specifically were you bashing Spack and his football program for .. and I'll throw you a bone and agree Coprich should have been suspended for 1 game. So what else has Spack done to suggest he and his program have no integrity or discipline ?? Read me the laundry list of specific things Spack has done ...... then I will respond.

Redbird 4th & short
June 27th, 2018, 04:51 PM

I'll just put this here.

https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/football/horton-dropped-from-isu-football-team/article_7311d57c-f533-5782-bcf4-e68bedc1f749.html

Spack just dismissed our best defensive player, OLB Tyree Horton .. likely all conference, potential all American, graduated on time, 4 star HS recruit ... he's gone .. and for more than 20 seconds of a practice. Many more examples like this from Spack than the isolated case of Coprich. But I know .. this doesn't fit the picture people like you so eagerly want to paint of Spack's football program.

Oh .. and we're now down to 1 returning starter on defense ... and Spack dismissed him anyway.

clenz
June 27th, 2018, 05:09 PM
I'll just put this here.

https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/football/horton-dropped-from-isu-football-team/article_7311d57c-f533-5782-bcf4-e68bedc1f749.html

Spack just dismissed our best defensive player, OLB Tyree Horton .. likely all conference, potential all American, graduated on time, 4 star HS recruit ... he's gone .. and for more than 20 seconds of a practice. Many more examples like this from Spack than the isolated case of Coprich. But I know .. this doesn't fit the picture people like you so eagerly want to paint of Spack's football program.

Oh .. and we're now down to 1 returning starter on defense ... and Spack dismissed him anyway.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180627/17a2237d18fc4e41616487e9122f1ff7.gif

Redbird 4th & short
June 27th, 2018, 06:07 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180627/17a2237d18fc4e41616487e9122f1ff7.gif

I've asked twice before, so I will ask a 3rd time ... and seriously ... how old are you with sh-t like this ? Seriously, I feel like I'm back in middle school.

wapiti
September 13th, 2018, 12:38 PM
So if this had been implemented before the season started would Calhoun been not allowed to play or practice?
He has plead guilt to punching a guy at a bar and knocking his teeth out.
As it is the griz only suspended him for 2 games.

BadlandsGrizFan
September 13th, 2018, 12:40 PM
So if this had been implemented before the season started would Calhoun been not allowed to play or practice?
He has plead guilt to punching a guy at a bar and knocking his teeth out.
As it is the griz only suspended him for 2 games.

It seems like he would have had his scholarship pulled.

wapiti
September 13th, 2018, 12:56 PM
It seems like he would have had his scholarship pulled.
Are you saying the griz did pull his scholarship? or that is all that would have happened to him under this new rule?

The rule says: shall not be eligible for athletically-related financial aid, practice or competition at a Big Sky member institution.

Will the griz do the right thing and suspend him from the team?

grizband
September 13th, 2018, 04:05 PM
Are you saying the griz did pull his scholarship? or that is all that would have happened to him under this new rule?

The rule says: shall not be eligible for athletically-related financial aid, practice or competition at a Big Sky member institution.

This new rule goes into affect beginning with the 2019/20 school year, for student-athletes already on campus. At this point, there is no rule that dictates he is ineligible for practice, although I would be surprised if he plays for the Griz in the near future.

Silenoz
September 14th, 2018, 01:36 PM

I dunno, are the Cats gonna pull Yates' scholarship? I drive these Bozeman roads with my kids and his truck is a deadly weapon

wapiti
September 14th, 2018, 02:51 PM
I dunno, are the Cats gonna pull Yates' scholarship? I drive these Bozeman roads with my kids and his truck is a deadly weapon

Silly Noise, What Yates did was wrong, but it does not qualify under this new rule.

I would be surprised if the griz suspended Calhoun. Another griz player knocked a guy out at a party in Pullman and was sent to the hospital with a serious concussion and all the griz did was suspend the player from a game or two. The griz seem to have a history of being light on punishment.

grizband
September 14th, 2018, 04:27 PM
Silly Noise, What Yates did was wrong, but it does not qualify under this new rule.

I would be surprised if the griz suspended Calhoun. Another griz player knocked a guy out at a party in Pullman and was sent to the hospital with a serious concussion and all the griz did was suspend the player from a game or two. The griz seem to have a history of being light on punishment.I don't believe Calhoun's transgressions apply under this new rule, either.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk