PDA

View Full Version : Foxsports Best FCS OOC Matchups for 2018

SU DOG
May 29th, 2018, 08:19 PM
https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/best-fcs-nonconference-games-in-2018-052918

BisonFan02
May 29th, 2018, 08:21 PM
6. North Dakota (FCS Independent) at Sam Houston State (Southland), Sept. 29 – Second in FCS wins this decade to a certain team up north, the host Bearkats are thrilled “State” isn’t listed on the end of “North Dakota.”

xlolx

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 29th, 2018, 09:31 PM
3 PL-CAA games make the list

#25 Colgate at W&M
#19 Villanova at Lehigh
#12 Colgate at UNH

Can the PL finally win a meaningful OOC game in the regular season?

RichH2
May 29th, 2018, 09:40 PM

#25 Colgate at W&M
#19 Villanova at Lehigh
#12 Colgate at UNH

Been a long time since we beat Nova. Wouldnt give us great odds to break that streak this season. But, one can hope. :)

Lorne_Malvo
May 29th, 2018, 09:56 PM
UNI vs Griz could be a great game.

JSUSoutherner
May 29th, 2018, 10:32 PM
What's the O/U we win both the NCAT and KSU games by double digits only to have both teams finish under .500? That seems to be our luck lately.

Go...gate
May 30th, 2018, 01:05 AM

#25 Colgate at W&M
#19 Villanova at Lehigh
#12 Colgate at UNH

Nice to see our programs getting some recognition. I hope both of us can succeed.

Go...gate
May 30th, 2018, 01:07 AM

#25 Colgate at W&M
#19 Villanova at Lehigh
#12 Colgate at UNH

Good to see some love handed out to the Monmouth - Princeton game for the New Jersey State FCS Championship.

clenz
May 30th, 2018, 06:48 AM

Nah. UNI will get stomped. It’s the way of life for UNI playing in Missoula.

Death. Taxes. UNI getting curb stomped by Montana.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gangtackle11
May 30th, 2018, 07:03 AM
Been a long time since we beat Nova. Wouldnt give us great odds to break that streak this season. But, one can hope. :)

Lehigh has played the Cats tough the past 2 seasons. Back at Lehigh will help, but with several key offensive starters returning & a solid defense it’s hard to imagine it won’t go Nova’s way again. Like u say though one can hope.

I dont see how a 5-7 Lehigh vs. 5-6 Villanova is a highlighted FCS OOC game, but so be it. See ya at Goodman!

xpeacex

ST_Lawson
May 30th, 2018, 08:52 AM
We're in at #17 and #10....I like it.

PaladinFan
May 30th, 2018, 09:49 AM

#25 Colgate at W&M
#19 Villanova at Lehigh
#12 Colgate at UNH

But not Colgate at Furman, oddly.

FUBeAR
May 30th, 2018, 10:06 AM
But not Colgate at Furman, oddly.It should have been a “Referee Stops OOC Matchup by TKO” last year in NY.

With Furman having most everyone returning, a full year under the new staff, and the game being in GVL, I wouldn’t expect to see this game on anyone’s “Best Matchup” list.

It might be a ‘Top Matchup’ for a couple of CAA perennial Playoff Teams, but I expect the SoCon’s Paladins to win by 31 (or more)...again.

Catbooster
May 30th, 2018, 10:17 AM
We're in at #17 and #10....I like it.

xthumbsupx We're in #17 and #5. I'm really looking forward to these games.

Any chance you're coming out here to the game?

PaladinFan
May 30th, 2018, 10:29 AM
It should have been a “Referee Stops OOC Matchup by TKO” last year in NY.

With Furman having most everyone returning, a full year under the new staff, and the game being in GVL, I wouldn’t expect to see this game on anyone’s “Best Matchup” list.

It might be a ‘Top Matchup’ for a couple of CAA perennial Playoff Teams, but I expect the SoCon’s Paladins to win by 31 (or more)...again.

I agree with you. Colgate is a much better matchup against finesse pass happy teams like Richmond and UNH. W&M just isn't very good.

Colgate is not exactly a safe play against a physical running team like Furman. Most certainly not in Greenville.

PantherRob82
May 30th, 2018, 12:16 PM

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27705&stc=1

ST_Lawson
May 30th, 2018, 12:17 PM
xthumbsupx We're in #17 and #5. I'm really looking forward to these games.

Any chance you're coming out here to the game?

I wish, but unfortunately no. Two kids in grade school makes it hard to do any traveling any further away than ~3 hours.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 30th, 2018, 12:20 PM
It should have been a “Referee Stops OOC Matchup by TKO” last year in NY.

Colgate flat out has to step up their play in these OOC games. They like to schedule tough but unfortunately their results have been terrible. W&M has to be a winnable game for the Raiders this year for imo. UNH in Durham and Furman "down there" will be interesting. Blowout losses would be another bad look for the Raiders and the PL....

Schism55
May 30th, 2018, 03:20 PM
6. North Dakota (FCS Independent) at Sam Houston State (Southland), Sept. 29 – Second in FCS wins this decade to a certain team up north, the host Bearkats are thrilled “State” isn’t listed on the end of “North Dakota.”

"Damn, now I done heard of trimming the hedges, but you done scorched the Earth!"

Silenoz
May 31st, 2018, 04:15 PM
It could be a lot of things

BisonFan02
May 31st, 2018, 08:53 PM
It could be a lot of things

For Sale sign party if the Griz lose.

Silenoz
June 1st, 2018, 03:31 PM
For Sale sign party if the Griz lose.
Nah. Only if we go 4-7. Which we might.

BisonFan02
June 1st, 2018, 05:40 PM
Nah. Only if we go 4-7. Which we might.

You lose to UNI at home...someone will do it.

Go...gate
June 2nd, 2018, 12:54 AM
Colgate flat out has to step up their play in these OOC games. They like to schedule tough but unfortunately their results have been terrible. W&M has to be a winnable game for the Raiders this year for imo. UNH in Durham and Furman "down there" will be interesting. Blowout losses would be another bad look for the Raiders and the PL....

And hopefully Lehigh will find a way to beat Villanova and win a couple of their own OOC games. In the meantime, I'm glad the PL is getting recognition for some quality OOC matchups.

RichH2
June 2nd, 2018, 11:15 AM
I wish I could be optimistic about our chances vs Nova. So many issues. Need to replace 3 O and 2 WRs. A lot of talent in both areas but still too many new pieces. Not much new for D. New LB coach is a big upgrade. A lot of frosh and sophs played big minutes last year replacing injured starters. D very athletic but a disorganized mess last year. Better cohesion they may be better. I hope.
Oh well, hopefully both of us will compete better vs OOC.

LU808
June 2nd, 2018, 01:38 PM
Lehigh ain't much better in OCC games....something about throwing stones in glass houses comes to mind.

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 2nd, 2018, 01:50 PM
Lehigh ain't much better in OCC games....something about throwing stones in glass houses comes to mind.

Out of conference records this decade....

Colgate 15-24, last winning OOC record 2011
Lehigh 23-17, last winning OOC record 2016

Colgate needs to step up their game.

Gangtackle11
June 2nd, 2018, 02:33 PM
I wish I could be optimistic about our chances vs Nova. So many issues. Need to replace 3 O and 2 WRs. A lot of talent in both areas but still too many new pieces. Not much new for D. New LB coach is a big upgrade. A lot of frosh and sophs played big minutes last year replacing injured starters. D very athletic but a disorganized mess last year. Better cohesion they may be better. I hope.
Oh well, hopefully both of us will compete better vs OOC.

I would think Lehigh fans hope that Nova gets beat up physically in the Temple game. Nova has definitely had FBS let down games in the past few seasons. That said Nova is bringing back several key offensive players & a majority of its defense. They do lose both their CBs. Both are in NFL camps, but frosh sensation Jaquan Amos will step in at 1 corner. He’s a star in the making. The other CB will be won in camp.

Nova should be hungry to get back into FCS playoffs & move Ferrante’s program in a better direction. This will be a good game. I’ll wait to see how Nova looks after Temple to tell you how good.

RichH2
June 2nd, 2018, 03:00 PM
Well gang you are coming from Temple and we are heading for Navy. A trap game for us both? :) :)

VandalBasher
June 2nd, 2018, 03:45 PM
Idaho plays Fresno State and Western New Mexico U. to open season and Florida to end the year. The spectrum is wide with the only game worth watching is against the Bulldogs. My guess is Tedford will have FSU just as efficient as the year before.

Lehigh'98
June 2nd, 2018, 06:24 PM
I would think Lehigh fans hope that Nova gets beat up physically in the Temple game. Nova has definitely had FBS let down games in the past few seasons. That said Nova is bringing back several key offensive players & a majority of its defense. They do lose both their CBs. Both are in NFL camps, but frosh sensation Jaquan Amos will step in at 1 corner. He’s a star in the making. The other CB will be won in camp.

Nova should be hungry to get back into FCS playoffs & move Ferrante’s program in a better direction. This will be a good game. I’ll wait to see how Nova looks after Temple to tell you how good.

Nova had some serious offensive issues last year. They only put up 35 on Lehigh. In retrospect, this was a huge red flag as most decent teams put up 50+. Do you think Nova has improved at all on that side? Our qb will get some points this year, but the program is a dumpster fire at this point and this could be the year the wheels fall off completely.

Gangtackle11
June 2nd, 2018, 08:50 PM
Nova had some serious offensive issues last year. They only put up 35 on Lehigh. In retrospect, this was a huge red flag as most decent teams put up 50+. Do I think Nova has improved at all on that side? Our qb will get some points this year, but the program is a dumpster fire at this point and this could be the year the wheels fall off completely.

In retrospect, “only” scoring 38 at Lehigh was a tell tale sign. Our offense got worse from there with the exception of the 59-0 drubbing of Lafayette. The excuse was injuries. I think it’s more than that. Our scheme is very vanilla & predictable. Running our QB 15-20 times a game has proven to be a recipe for serious injuries. Started with Robertson his senior season & last season with Bednarczyk. I don’t love our offense, but it’s nowhere close as bad as Lehigh defenses the past few seasons.

I suspect Nova’s best unit to be the defense again, but I do believe our offense will be much improved from season’s end.

I expect another game like the last 2. Lehigh fans going home thinking they could have won, but Nova going home with the win. Nova rarely loses to PL teams, but Lehigh has scared them. I think Fordham in 2012 or 2013 is the last PL loss.

Go...gate
June 2nd, 2018, 11:53 PM

I appreciate that a poster from Lehigh is honest enough to say this. The numbers do not always tell the true story.

I wish you fellows the very best in 2018, and I believe that if the defense can be re-tooled a bit, you have a good chance to win the PL title. After Colgate (the alma mater) and Princeton (the hometown team), the Engineers are my favorite FCS/I-AA club and I root for their success.

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 3rd, 2018, 12:18 AM
I appreciate that a poster from Lehigh is honest enough to say this. The numbers do not always tell the true story.

I wish you fellows the very best in 2018, and I believe that if the defense can be re-tooled a bit, you have a good chance to win the PL title. After Colgate (the alma mater) and Princeton (the hometown team), the Engineers are my favorite FCS/I-AA club and I root for their success.

You are what your records says....xnodx

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 3rd, 2018, 12:20 AM
Nova had some serious offensive issues last year. They only put up 35 on Lehigh. In retrospect, this was a huge red flag as most decent teams put up 50+. Do you think Nova has improved at all on that side? Our qb will get some points this year, but the program is a dumpster fire at this point and this could be the year the wheels fall off completely.

If the defense once again hamstrings the team then I'll officially say the program is screwed until major changes are made.

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 3rd, 2018, 12:20 AM

If the defense once again hamstrings the team then I'll officially say the program is screwed until major changes are made.

RichH2
June 3rd, 2018, 01:31 PM
After so many years with a D sinking lower and lower I have to agree that is we have yet another terrible D, more major changes must be made.
One would think that our recruiting would, at least to some extent, have targetted the up coming season. However, the senior class , while large, has underperformed. Partly because of injuries certainly . Mayes and Bragalone have been excellent. The class has not produced much else.
For us to have a winning season and a shot at the title the seniors must also show up besides a creditable defense.

Mike296
June 3rd, 2018, 11:51 PM
I hate our OOC schedule lately. Last year UCF was a fun game but ffs Georgia this year? Sure it’s a money game but I’d rather have a good FCS game over this.

FUBeAR
June 4th, 2018, 02:47 PM
I hate our OOC schedule lately. Last year UCF was a fun game but ffs Georgia this year? Sure it’s a money game but I’d rather have a good FCS game over this.
I bet those 10 Georgia boys on the APSU roster feel otherwise & are relishing their opportunity to play ‘between the hedges.’ I would imagine the Coaching Staff is also very interested in putting APSU’s ‘new & improved’ Football product on display in front of the HS Talent in & around Greater Atlanta. Also, I’m sure, as soon as they booked that game with UGa, every Recruit they have targeted since the contract was signed has heard about it...a lot.

The money is, of course, critical, but there are a lot more benefits derived from these games vs. Power 5 Schools than just that 1 paycheck.

PaladinFan
June 4th, 2018, 03:02 PM
I bet those 10 Georgia boys on the APSU roster feel otherwise & are relishing their opportunity to play ‘between the hedges.’ I would imagine the Coaching Staff is also very interested in putting APSU’s ‘new & improved’ Football product on display in front of the HS Talent in & around Greater Atlanta. Also, I’m sure, as soon as they booked that game with UGa, every Recruit they have targeted since the contract was signed has heard about it...a lot.

The money is, of course, critical, but there are a lot more benefits derived from these games vs. Power 5 Schools than just that 1 paycheck.

But it's mostly the paycheck.

Professor
June 4th, 2018, 03:21 PM
Very big game for A&T and the MEAC as a whole. A win here is a positive step for the growth of MEAC football and for A&T

4. North Carolina A&T (MEAC) vs. Jacksonville State (Ohio Valley) at Montgomery, Alabama, Aug. 25 – The Aggies are basically playing a road game as they put the longest winning streak in the FCS (12 games) on the line in the annual FCS Kickoff.

JSUSoutherner
June 4th, 2018, 05:33 PM

Just do to Georgia what we couldn't do to Auburn. You'll be very happy about the schedule afterwards.

Hell Nicholls almost upset the Dawgs a couple years ago.

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 4th, 2018, 09:07 PM
Just do to Georgia what we couldn't do to Auburn. You'll be very happy about the schedule afterwards.

Hell Nicholls almost upset the Dawgs a couple years ago.

APSU is going to get physically destroyed. Those two have no business being on the same field. Georgia gets an easy win and APSU gets some much needed $$. That's all this game is about.

JSUSoutherner
June 4th, 2018, 10:54 PM
APSU is going to get physically destroyed. Those two have no business being on the same field. Georgia gets an easy win and APSU gets some much needed $$. That's all this game is about.

Shhhhhh.....

You don't lure a pig to the slaughterhouse with bacon strips.

Go...gate
June 5th, 2018, 12:10 AM

Well said.

FUBeAR
June 5th, 2018, 12:47 AM

“Closet” FBS G5 Fan, who has bought into the media’s #FakeNews on this topic, because ‘if true’ creates more of a gap between G5 & FCS, huh?

A) In recent years APSU & Mercer have played 3 relatively competitive games with each other. Thus, APSU & Mercer are competitive with each other.

B) Last year Auburn & Georgia split the 2 games they played against each other. Thus, Georgia & Auburn are competitive with each other.

C) Last year, with under 8 minutes to play in the 4th quarter, Mercer, down by a single score to Auburn, had the ball with a chance to take the lead. Not until Auburn scored with less than 5 minutes to play was the outcome of the game determined. Mercer was DEFINITELY NOT “physically destroyed” by Auburn.

THUS...A+B+C = APSU can be competitive with Georgia & there is no legitimate reason to expect the Govs to be “physically destroyed” by the Dawgs

D) In TRUTH, all Top 25-30 FCS Teams can be, at least competitive, with all FBS P5 Teams...on Any Given Saturday!

E) In TRUTH, all Top 25-30 FCS Teams can be VERY competitive with ALL G5 Teams AND can beat them...on Any Given Saturday!...or Tuesday, if they are playing a SuckBelt or MAC Team :-)

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 5th, 2018, 06:51 AM
“Closet” FBS G5 Fan, who has bought into the media’s #FakeNews on this topic, because ‘if true’ creates more of a gap between G5 & FCS, huh?

A) In recent years APSU & Mercer have played 3 relatively competitive games with each other. Thus, APSU & Mercer are competitive with each other.

B) Last year Auburn & Georgia split the 2 games they played against each other. Thus, Georgia & Auburn are competitive with each other.

C) Last year, with under 8 minutes to play in the 4th quarter, Mercer, down by a single score to Auburn, had the ball with a chance to take the lead. Not until Auburn scored with less than 5 minutes to play was the outcome of the game determined. Mercer was DEFINITELY NOT “physically destroyed” by Auburn.

THUS...A+B+C = APSU can be competitive with Georgia & there is no legitimate reason to expect the Govs to be “physically destroyed” by the Dawgs

D) In TRUTH, all Top 25-30 FCS Teams can be, at least competitive, with all FBS P5 Teams...on Any Given Saturday!

E) In TRUTH, all Top 25-30 FCS Teams can be VERY competitive with ALL G5 Teams AND can beat them...on Any Given Saturday!...or Tuesday, if they are playing a SuckBelt or MAC Team :-)

I watch the games and check the scores. This game will not be close.

Georgia will be a 35+ point favorite of APSU. I trust Vegas....

The top 25-30 are not competitive with all of the P5. There's NDSU and maybe 2 or 3 teams per year that could hang with 85-95% of FBS. By the time you get to the 12th or 13th best teams in FCS they're getting crushed by the top 25-30% of FBS.

The top 25-30 are not going to be "extremely competitive" with all of the G5. The top G5 teams are going to beat 85-95% of FCS by 24+ points. The scores in the past reflect this.

FCS is simply not that deep year in and year out.

PaladinFan
June 5th, 2018, 08:00 AM

The top 25-30 are not competitive with all of the P5. There's NDSU and maybe 2 or 3 teams per year that could hang with 85-95% of FBS. By the time you get to the 12th or 13th best teams in FCS they're getting crushed by the top 25-30% of FBS.

The top 25-30 are not going to be "extremely competitive" with all of the G5. The top G5 teams are going to beat 85-95% of FCS by 24+ points. The scores in the past reflect this.

Having watched a bunch of these games (the SoCon routinely plays SEC/ACC competition), I have long been of the opinion that many top 25 FCS clubs can keep a game close for a half. They run out of steam against the deeper and more talented P5 rosters in the second half, which is usually when you start seeing the gap in the score grow.

When FCS teams hang around, it usually takes playing a lot of mistake free football, getting a few bounces, and hoping a little luck breaks your way.

JSUSoutherner
June 5th, 2018, 08:45 AM

35 points? Pretty sure we were 48 point underdogs against Auburn and I wouldn't say they physically dominated us. We just suck at field goals.

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 5th, 2018, 08:53 AM
Having watched a bunch of these games (the SoCon routinely plays SEC/ACC competition), I have long been of the opinion that many top 25 FCS clubs can keep a game close for a half. They run out of steam against the deeper and more talented P5 rosters in the second half, which is usually when you start seeing the gap in the score grow.

When FCS teams hang around, it usually takes playing a lot of mistake free football, getting a few bounces, and hoping a little luck breaks your way.

How much energy do FBS teams put into their FCS games? There's no way imo some of these coaches are going all in on these games in terms of play calling and personnel groupings etc.

I think a lot of the times the disciplined FCS team catches their FBS opponent sleeping or disinterested which allows the games to be close than it should be.

WestCoastAggie
June 5th, 2018, 09:10 AM
Very big game for A&T and the MEAC as a whole. A win here is a positive step for the growth of MEAC football and for A&T

4. North Carolina A&T (MEAC) vs. Jacksonville State (Ohio Valley) at Montgomery, Alabama, Aug. 25 – The Aggies are basically playing a road game as they put the longest winning streak in the FCS (12 games) on the line in the annual FCS Kickoff.

MEAC Football will still suck regardless of our outcome with Jacksonville State. Most of those football teams will get blown out of the water by most of their OOC opponents, except for maybe Bethune-Cookman and Howard.

PaladinFan
June 5th, 2018, 09:17 AM
How much energy do FBS teams put into their FCS games? There's no way imo some of these coaches are going all in on these games in terms of play calling and personnel groupings etc.

I think a lot of the times the disciplined FCS team catches their FBS opponent sleeping or disinterested which allows the games to be close than it should be.

I think it depends. I do not think that a big FBS program is going to spend a lot of time installing an offense and defense for a single team on their schedule that they should be able to simply "out athlete."

I think that has changed a little bit with Georgia Tech moving to the option game under Paul Johnson. Teams may be more incentivized to spend a little more time on a "gimmicky" FCS offense because they know they will see it again that season. For example, Clemson will play both Furman and Georgia Southern before matching up with Georgia Tech. I would expect the Tigers will game plan for Furman's "multiple" offense out of the wing and Georgia Southern's option-based attack because they know that prep time will be worthwhile against GT.

I do not disagree with your second point. I think a lot of the close games between P5 schools and FCS competition has a lot to do with the FBS team playing disinterested football. Now, that's on them, of course, because you have to show up every week.

There are some instances (Furman/Pitt in 2004, App/Michigan in 2007) where the FBS squad has no business taking an incredibly good FCS squad for granted. For most teams, though, you have to have a few lucky bounces and stay in the game.

JSUSoutherner
June 5th, 2018, 09:47 AM
MEAC Football will still suck regardless of our outcome with Jacksonville State. Most of those football teams will get blown out of the water by most of their OOC opponents, except for maybe Bethune-Cookman and Howard.

Not sure the outcome by itself will validate either team. If NCAT wins the story will be "Oh look, JSU Lost the a MEAC team and so much for their 41 game FCS regular season win streak." If JSU wins "cool they beat a MEAC team who doesn't even go to the playoffs"

However, I think the ECU and KSU games will serve a big role in how this game's validation. If JSU wins and NCAT goes in and knocks ECUs socks off JMU style then that helps bolster JSU and softens the blow for NCAT. Vice versa with an NCAT win with a JSU win over Kennesaw.

SU DOG
June 5th, 2018, 11:17 AM
I also wonder how much biased officiating plays in some of these games with FBS teams. Paladin Fan mentioned that 2004 Furman/Pitt Game. That has to be the most blatant officials influenced outcome I can ever recall watching. The Panthers did not beat Furman that day, the Zebras did. I don't think it was intentional, but in our last visit(2008) to Ole Miss we returned a kick into the end zone for a TD that would have put us ahead at the half. The official blew it dead 30-40 yds back. It was replayed on many TV sports outlets and clearly our guy stayed in-bounds, but a whistle had blown. On the other hand, we got some officiating breaks at Starkville year before last, so maybe these instances are not so prevalent as in the past. I wonder if JSU fans feel thay got even breaks at Auburn when they could have and should have defeated the Tigers. I never watched the replay of that game, so this is a question, not an example. Again, with the replay now, these incidents are probably becoming more rare, but in the past, IMO, they have been a definite factor.

FUBeAR
June 5th, 2018, 11:35 AM

Well, let's 'go to the tape' instead of conjecturing, as you have done...

7 FCS Teams played 7 FBS P5 Teams (3 SEC, 2 PAC12, 1 Big12, 1 ACC) within 2 scores (16 point differential or less) in 2017. 1 of those Teams won their game - those were competitive games that everyone, like you, who buys into the #FakeNews, thought would be routs. That means 16% of the FCS games vs. FBS P5 Teams were HIGHLY competitive contests that could have gone either way. Interestingly, only 3 of those 7 Teams were ranked in the Top 30 in the AGS Final Poll and only 1, Weber State (#4) was ranked in the Top 20. Should those 7 games not have been played? Were the FCS Teams "physically destroyed?"

There were another 7 games where the FCS Teams stayed within 3 scores (17-24 point differential). I've certainly seen P5 Teams beating one another AND G5 Teams by this margin on a regular basis. So, not really routs in any way...in 33% or 1/3rd of FCS games vs FBS P5 Teams. Certainly NOT "physically destroyed."

Yes - there were 18 routs (differential > than 38 points), but those can also frequently be found in FBS G5 vs. FBS P5 games and even between P5 Teams, on occasion. Give me a 16% chance of being in the game (which means possibly winning) vs. a 42% chance of being routed, and I'm HAPPY to take those chances all day with my FCS Team vs. an FBS P5.

Now, let's look at FCS vs. FBS G5 - 8 FCS WINS out of 54 games. 15% of the time the FCS Team pulled the upset. Again, I'll take that ALL DAY. 5 of those wins were by Teams ranked in the Top 20 in the AGS Final Poll and 3 were by unranked FCS Teams.

In games where an FCS Team ranked in the Top 30 played an FBS G5 Team, the average margin of victory for the G5 Teams was 6 points. Sound competitive?

In 23 of the total 54 games between FCS & FBS G5, the FCS Team either won or kept the game within 2 scores and have an average margin of victory for the G5 Teams of 7 points. That's 43% of the time. So...about 1/2 the time those games are going to be VERY competitive. I wonder what the average differential is for intra-G5 games. I would bet it's not much closer than 7 points.

Yes, there were 13 FCS vs. FBS G5 routs (less than 1/4 of the games) and only 1 of those involved a ranked FCS Team (#29) and over 1/2 of them were vs. MEAC/SWAC 'bottom-feeders' that would (and have) probably lose (lost) just as badly to most FCS Teams.

APSU may lose to UGa by 100, but there is NO logical reason, based upon ACTUAL results (vs. #FakeNews) why that game shoudn't be played. Based on last year's results, they have a 16% chance of keeping it close...which is probably about the same odds that Vandy and MTSU have of doing likewise.

And, if you can keep it close, you CAN pull out a win ala App State over Michigan...or, looking into my way-back machine, Furman did vs. South Carolina, Georgia Tech, and NC State (2x) in 4 successive years. I was personally involved in 3 of those 4 upsets, so, yeah...I'm WAY biased, but the NUMBERS/FACTS support my bias - FCS vs. FBS P5 and/or G5 games are worthy of being played...on Any Given Saturday!

PaladinFan
June 5th, 2018, 12:02 PM
I also wonder how much biased officiating plays in some of these games with FBS teams. Paladin Fan mentioned that 2004 Furman/Pitt Game. That has to be the most blatant officials influenced outcome I can ever recall watching. The Panthers did not beat Furman that day, the Zebras did. I don't think it was intentional, but in our last visit(2008) to Ole Miss we returned a kick into the end zone for a TD that would have put us ahead at the half. The official blew it dead 30-40 yds back. It was replayed on many TV sports outlets and clearly our guy stayed in-bounds, but a whistle had blown. On the other hand, we got some officiating breaks at Starkville year before last, so maybe these instances are not so prevalent as in the past. I wonder if JSU fans feel thay got even breaks at Auburn when they could have and should have defeated the Tigers. I never watched the replay of that game, so this is a question, not an example. Again, with the replay now, these incidents are probably becoming more rare, but in the past, IMO, they have been a definite factor.

Those games more or less go along with my personal observations, which is that the FCS team needs to play darn near flawlessly (or at least avoid turnovers) and have a few breaks go their way.

Take App State/Michigan. App blocked two Michigan FG attempts in the fourth quarter and won by 2 points. App State, who was a really good team and really really good at blocking field goals, had to block two makeable kicks with less than two minutes left. That's the sort of stuff I am talking about. You have to play at full tilt for four quarters and hope to get a few bounces. That's the making of an upset.

WestCoastAggie
June 5th, 2018, 12:25 PM
Not sure the outcome by itself will validate either team. If NCAT wins the story will be "Oh look, JSU Lost the a MEAC team and so much for their 41 game FCS regular season win streak." If JSU wins "cool they beat a MEAC team who doesn't even go to the playoffs"

However, I think the ECU and KSU games will serve a big role in how this game's validation. If JSU wins and NCAT goes in and knocks ECUs socks off JMU style then that helps bolster JSU and softens the blow for NCAT. Vice versa with an NCAT win with a JSU win over Kennesaw.

It still won't deter the fact that both teams will have their conferences weighing them down, albeit JSU less if APSU and Tennessee State pull their weight. We need Howard, Bethune, NCCU and FAMU to pull their weight this year to get respect collectively.

JSUSoutherner
June 5th, 2018, 12:41 PM
It still won't deter the fact that both teams will have their conferences weighing them down, albeit JSU less if APSU and Tennessee State pull their weight. We need Howard, Bethune, NCCU and FAMU to pull their weight this year to get respect collectively.

If EIU, EKU, and TSU could get back to being as they once were and APSU and UTM get over the hump the OVC would be a very solid conference.

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 5th, 2018, 02:41 PM
Well, let's 'go to the tape' instead of conjecturing, as you have done...

7 FCS Teams played 7 FBS P5 Teams (3 SEC, 2 PAC12, 1 Big12, 1 ACC) within 2 scores (16 point differential or less) in 2017. 1 of those Teams won their game - those were competitive games that everyone, like you, who buys into the #FakeNews, thought would be routs. That means 16% of the FCS games vs. FBS P5 Teams were HIGHLY competitive contests that could have gone either way. Interestingly, only 3 of those 7 Teams were ranked in the Top 30 in the AGS Final Poll and only 1, Weber State (#4) was ranked in the Top 20. Should those 7 games not have been played? Were the FCS Teams "physically destroyed?"

There were another 7 games where the FCS Teams stayed within 3 scores (17-24 point differential). I've certainly seen P5 Teams beating one another AND G5 Teams by this margin on a regular basis. So, not really routs in any way...in 33% or 1/3rd of FCS games vs FBS P5 Teams. Certainly NOT "physically destroyed."

Yes - there were 18 routs (differential > than 38 points), but those can also frequently be found in FBS G5 vs. FBS P5 games and even between P5 Teams, on occasion. Give me a 16% chance of being in the game (which means possibly winning) vs. a 42% chance of being routed, and I'm HAPPY to take those chances all day with my FCS Team vs. an FBS P5.

Now, let's look at FCS vs. FBS G5 - 8 FCS WINS out of 54 games. 15% of the time the FCS Team pulled the upset. Again, I'll take that ALL DAY. 5 of those wins were by Teams ranked in the Top 20 in the AGS Final Poll and 3 were by unranked FCS Teams.

In games where an FCS Team ranked in the Top 30 played an FBS G5 Team, the average margin of victory for the G5 Teams was 6 points. Sound competitive?

In 23 of the total 54 games between FCS & FBS G5, the FCS Team either won or kept the game within 2 scores and have an average margin of victory for the G5 Teams of 7 points. That's 43% of the time. So...about 1/2 the time those games are going to be VERY competitive. I wonder what the average differential is for intra-G5 games. I would bet it's not much closer than 7 points.

Yes, there were 13 FCS vs. FBS G5 routs (less than 1/4 of the games) and only 1 of those involved a ranked FCS Team (#29) and over 1/2 of them were vs. MEAC/SWC 'bottom-feeders' that would (and have) probably lose (lost) just as badly to most FCS Teams.

APSU may lose to UGa by 100, but there is NO logical reason, based upon ACTUAL results (vs. #FakeNews) why that game shoudn't be played. Based on last year's results, they have a 16% chance of keeping it close...which is probably about the same odds that Vandy and MTSU have of doing likewise.

And, if you can keep it close, you CAN pull out a win ala App State over Michigan...or, looking into my way-back machine, Furman did vs. South Carolina, Georgia Tech, and NC State (2x) in 4 successive years. I was personally involved in 3 of those 4 upsets, so, yeah...I'm WAY biased, but the NUMBERS/FACTS support my bias - FCS vs. FBS P5 and/or G5 games are worthy of being played...on Any Given Saturday!

Your "tape" doesn't add up. FCS's all-time winning % against FBS is around 6%. That's terrible. FCS's all time winning % against FBS Top 25 teams is something like 0.4%. That's horrific! The records and results over time clearly, CLEARY indicate a WIDE gap between FCS and FBS. Sure, good FCS teams can beat bad to middling FBS teams. But even those odds are extremely quite long.

I have no idea what #fakenews you think I'm spewing. I watch the games and follow the results since I have a vested interest in both subdivisions. There's obviously some games where the FCS team has a chance to be competitive. I give several FCS teams a chance to be competitive and or perhaps win their FBS games. But when it comes to a game like Georgia vs Austin Peay the FCS squad has no chance. This isn't App State (an all time great FCS team) against Michigan or even a 6-5 JMU (in a then ridiculously deep CAA) beating an 11-3 Va Tech squad who preyed on a weak ACC. APSU has virtually no pedigree as a FCS program. There is zero reason to believe they can go into Sanford Stadium and compete for 60 minutes. Samford was a playoff team last year and got dump trucked in Athens 42-14. For reference APSU lost 26-14 to a 4-8 Cincinnati and 31-10 to 5-7 Miami(OH) last year.

I'm trying to find a list of all 2017 FCS vs FBS results but I can't find them. I'm also trying to find the Final AGS Top 25 and can't find it by either search or scrolling page by page. I think both are needed to provide context. I gave UNH a chance against GSU last year. I thought YSU could be competitive with Pitt. Likewise Temple vs Villanova. Those are just off the top of my head.

Final AGS Top 25 vs FBS
#2 JMU beats ECU (3-9) 34-14 - I think a lot of people saw this coming. Wasn't JMU the Vegas favorite?
#4 Weber State lost to 5-7 Cal 33-20
#7 Wofford lost 31-10 to 9-4 South Carolina
#8 Jacksonville lost 37-10 to 5-6 Georgia Tech
#9 Central Arkansas lost 55-19 to 8-5 Kansas State
#10 Southern Utah lost 77-21 to 7-6 Oregon
#11 Stony Brooks lost 31-17 to 10-2 South Florida
#12 Northern Iowa lost 42-24 to 8-5 Iowa State
#13 New Hampshire BEAT 2-10 Georgia Southern 22-12. GSU fired their coach midseason.
#14 South Dakota BEAT 2-10 Bowling Green 35-27
#15 Western Illinois BEAT 3-9 Coastal Carolina 52-10 (CCU's 1st year as full FBS)
#16 North Carolina A&T BEAT 1-11 Charlotte 35-31
#17 Furman lost 49-16 to 9-4 NC State
#18 Elon lost 47-13 to 11-3 Toledo
#19 Samford lost 42-14 to 13-2 Georgia
#21 EWU lost to 6-7 Texas Tech 56-10
#22 Nicholls State lost to 7-6 Texas A&M 24-14
#24 Delaware lost 27-0 to 9-4 Va Tech
#25 Grambling lost 43-14 to 5-7 Tulane

FUBeAR
June 5th, 2018, 03:31 PM
Your "tape" doesn't add up. FCS's all-time winning % against FBS is around 6%. That's terrible. FCS's all time winning % against FBS Top 25 teams is something like 0.4%. That's horrific! The records and results over time clearly, CLEARY indicate a WIDE gap between FCS and FBS. Sure, good FCS teams can beat bad to middling FBS games. But even those odds are extremely quite long.

I have no idea what #fakenews you think I'm spewing. I watch the games and follow the results since I have a vested interest in both subdivisions. There's obviously some games where the FCS team has a chance to be competitive. I give several FCS teams a chance to be competitive and or perhaps win their FBS games. But when it comes to a game like Georgia vs Austin Peay the FCS squad has no chance. This isn't App State (an all time great FCS team) against Michigan or even a 6-5 JMU (in a then ridiculously deep CAA) beating an 11-3 Va Tech squad who preyed on a weak ACC. APSU has virtually no pedigree as a FCS program. There is zero reason to believe they can go into Sanford Stadium and compete for 60 minutes. Furman was a playoff team last year and got dump trucked in Athens 49-10. For reference APSU lost 26-14 to a 4-8 Cincinnati and 31-10 to 5-7 Miami(OH) last year.

I'm trying to find a list of all 2017 FCS vs FBS results but I can't find them. I'm also trying to find the Final AGS Top 25 and can't find it by either search or scrolling page by page. I think both are needed to provide context. I gave UNH a chance against GSU last year. I thought YSU could be competitive with Pitt. Likewise Temple vs Villanova. Those are just off the top of my head.My "tape" is based on the exact things for 2017 that you said you were looking for, so it does 'add up' and I believe is 100% accurate. I've posted the data table below if you would like to review.

Speaking of accuracy, Furman has not played Georgia since 1950. I think you may have meant Samford and the final score of that game was 42-14, not 49-10. I was there, by the way. Samford was certainly NOT "physically destroyed" by an FBS National Champion caliber Georgia Team. They gave up 2 scores early, but fought back to within 2 scores at halftime. The 3rd quarter went bad and they gave up 2 short-field (26 & 45 yard) scores. The SoCon Bulldogs played Georgia closer than Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, Florida, Kentucky, and Georgia Tech did. They also played them just about as close as Missouri did. Should Georgia have not played those 7 games also?

APSU's recent history has SUCKED, until last year, when they finished at #29 in the AGS rankings under a new Coaching Staff, just a few spots behind #19 Samford, who gave National Champion Finalist, Georgia, a better game than most of the SEC & ACC Teams they played. APSU will be ranked in the Top 30 of FCS this year as well, I would imagine. Again, APSU may lose by 100, but there is absolutely no valid statistical reason why this game should not be played.

The #FakeNews you are spewing is that they shouldn't be played - the same as so many talking heads like to spew. Your stats, if they are even accurate, to be meaningful, need to be calibrated against other FBS P5 & G5 Programs records against FS Top 25 Teams, over time. Personally, I don't care if the 6% number you cited IS correct since 1978 or 1982 or whatever year you want to pick. Last year, it was 9.28% wins for all FCS vs. FBS games and 20.83% for Top 30 FCS vs. FBS. Considering the average for ALL games is 50% (1 winner/1 loser), then almost 10% for any FCS Team and >20% for Top 30 FCS Teams are good enough odds for me to conclude playing those games is a valid & worthy exercise. The payoff in $'s is huge and the payoff if you win one of 'em as an FCS Program is so very, very sweet.

FCS
FCS Rank AGS
FCS W or L
Score
FBS P5
Score
FBS G5
Score
Margin

Abilene Christian

L

New Mexico

Abilene Christian

L

Colorado State

Alabama A&M

L

UAB

Alabama A&M

L
Vanderbilt

Alabama A&M

L

South Alabama

Alabama State

L

Troy

Albany

L

Old Dominion

Alcorn State

L

FIU

Arkansas-Pine Bluff

L

Arkansas State

Arkansas-Pine Bluff

L

Akron

Austin Peay
L

Cincinnati

Austin Peay
L

Miami (OH)

Austin Peay
L

UCF

Bethune-Cookman

L
Miami

Bethune-Cookman

L

Florida Atlantic

Cal Poly

L

San Jose State

Central Arkansas
L
Kansas State

Central Connecticut State
L
Syracuse

Charleston Southern

L
Mississippi State

Chattanooga

L
LSU

Colgate
L

Buffalo

Delaware
L
Virginia Tech

Delaware State

L
West Virginia

Delaware State

L
Florida State

Eastern Illinois

L

Northern Illinois

Eastern Kentucky

L
Kentucky

Eastern Kentucky

L

Western Kentucky

Eastern Washington
L
Texas Tech

Elon
L

Toledo

Florida A&M

L
Arkansas

Fordham

L

Army

Furman
L
North Carolina State

Gardner-Webb

L

Wyoming

Grambling State
L

Tulane

Hampton

L

Ohio

Holy Cross

L

Connnecticut

Houston Baptist

L

Texas State

Howard

W

UNLV

Howard

L

Kent State

Idaho State

W

Nevada

Idaho State

L

Utah State

Incarnate Word

L

Fresno State

Indiana State

L
Tennessee

Jackson State

L
TCU

Jacksonville State
L
Georgia Tech

James Madison
W

East Carolina

Lamar

L

North Texas

Liberty

W
Baylor

Maine

L

Massachusetts

Mercer

L
Auburn

Mercer

L
Alabama

Missouri State

L
Missouri

Montana
L
Washington

Montana State

L
Washington State

Morgan State

L
Rutgers

Murray State

L
Louisville

New Hampshire
W

Georgia Southern

Nicholls
L
Texas A&M

North Carolina A&T
W

Charlotte

North Carolina Central

L
Duke

North Dakota

L
Utah

Northern Arizona
L
Arizona

Northern Colorado

L
Colorado

Northern Iowa
L
Iowa State

Northwestern State

L

Louisiana Tech

Portland State

L
Oregon State

Portland State

L

BYU

Presbyterian

L
Wake Forest

Rhode Island

L

Central Michigan

Sacramento State
L

Idaho

Samford
L
Georgia

Savannah State

L

Applalachian State

South Dakota
W

Bowling Green

Southeast Missouri State

L
Kansas

Southeastern Louisiana

L

Louisiana-Lafayette

Southern

L

UTSA

Southern

L

Southern Miss

Southern Illinois

L

Memphis

Southern Utah
L
Oregon

Stephen F. Austin

L

SMU

Stony Brook
L

South Florida

Tennessee State

W

Georgia State

Tennessee Tech

L

Ball State

The Citadel

L
Clemson

Towson

L
Maryland

UC Davis

L

San Diego State

UT Martin

L
Ole Miss

Villanova

L

Temple

VMI

L

Air Force

Wagner

L

Western Michigan

Weber State
L
California

Western Carolina
L

Hawaii

Western Carolina
L
North Carolina

Western Illinois
W

Coastal Carolina

William & Mary

L
Virginia

Wofford
L
South Carolina

Youngstown State
L
Pittsburgh

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 5th, 2018, 04:17 PM
My "tape" is based on the exact things for 2017 that you said you were looking for, so it does 'add up' and I believe is 100% accurate. I've posted the data table below if you would like to review.

Speaking of accuracy, Furman has not played Georgia since 1950. I think you may have meant Samford and the final score of that game was 42-14, not 49-10. I was there, by the way. Samford was certainly NOT "physically destroyed" by an FBS National Champion caliber Georgia Team. They gave up 2 scores early, but fought back to within 2 scores at halftime. The 3rd quarter went bad and they gave up 2 short-field (26 & 45 yard) scores. The SoCon Bulldogs played Georgia closer than Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Mississippi State, Florida, Kentucky, and Georgia Tech did. They also played them just about as close as Missouri did. Should Georgia have not played those 7 games also?

APSU's recent history has SUCKED, until last year, when they finished at #29 in the AGS rankings under a new Coaching Staff, just a few spots behind #19 Samford, who gave National Champion Finalist, Georgia, a better game than most of the SEC & ACC Teams they played. APSU will be ranked in the Top 30 of FCS this year as well, I would imagine. Again, APSU may lose by 100, but there is absolutely no valid statistical reason why this game should not be played.

The #FakeNews you are spewing is that they shouldn't be played - the same as so many talking heads like to spew. Your stats, if they are even accurate, to be meaningful, need to be calibrated against other FBS P5 & G5 Programs records against FS Top 25 Teams, over time. Personally, I don't care if the 6% number you cited IS correct since 1978 or 1982 or whatever year you want to pick. Last year, it was 9.28% wins for all FCS vs. FBS games and 20.83% for Top 30 FCS vs. FBS. Considering the average for ALL games is 50% (1 winner/1 loser), then almost 10% for any FCS Team and >20% for Top 30 FCS Teams are good enough odds for me to conclude playing those games is a valid & worthy exercise. The payoff in $'s is huge and the payoff if you win one of 'em as an FCS Program is so very, very sweet.

FCS
FCS Rank AGS
FCS W or L
Score
FBS P5
Score
FBS G5
Score
Margin

Abilene Christian

L

New Mexico

Abilene Christian

L

Colorado State

Alabama A&M

L

UAB

Alabama A&M

L
Vanderbilt

Alabama A&M

L

South Alabama

Alabama State

L

Troy

Albany

L

Old Dominion

Alcorn State

L

FIU

Arkansas-Pine Bluff

L

Arkansas State

Arkansas-Pine Bluff

L

Akron

Austin Peay
L

Cincinnati

Austin Peay
L

Miami (OH)

Austin Peay
L

UCF

Bethune-Cookman

L
Miami

Bethune-Cookman

L

Florida Atlantic

Cal Poly

L

San Jose State

Central Arkansas
L
Kansas State

Central Connecticut State
L
Syracuse

Charleston Southern

L
Mississippi State

Chattanooga

L
LSU

Colgate
L

Buffalo

Delaware
L
Virginia Tech

Delaware State

L
West Virginia

Delaware State

L
Florida State

Eastern Illinois

L

Northern Illinois

Eastern Kentucky

L
Kentucky

Eastern Kentucky

L

Western Kentucky

Eastern Washington
L
Texas Tech

Elon
L

Toledo

Florida A&M

L
Arkansas

Fordham

L

Army

Furman
L
North Carolina State

Gardner-Webb

L

Wyoming

Grambling State
L

Tulane

Hampton

L

Ohio

Holy Cross

L

Connnecticut

Houston Baptist

L

Texas State

Howard

W

UNLV

Howard

L

Kent State

Idaho State

W

Nevada

Idaho State

L

Utah State

Incarnate Word

L

Fresno State

Indiana State

L
Tennessee

Jackson State

L
TCU

Jacksonville State
L
Georgia Tech

James Madison
W

East Carolina

Lamar

L

North Texas

Liberty

W
Baylor

Maine

L

Massachusetts

Mercer

L
Auburn

Mercer

L
Alabama

Missouri State

L
Missouri

Montana
L
Washington

Montana State

L
Washington State

Morgan State

L
Rutgers

Murray State

L
Louisville

New Hampshire
W

Georgia Southern

Nicholls
L
Texas A&M

North Carolina A&T
W

Charlotte

North Carolina Central

L
Duke

North Dakota

L
Utah

Northern Arizona
L
Arizona

Northern Colorado

L
Colorado

Northern Iowa
L
Iowa State

Northwestern State

L

Louisiana Tech

Portland State

L
Oregon State

Portland State

L

BYU

Presbyterian

L
Wake Forest

Rhode Island

L

Central Michigan

Sacramento State
L

Idaho

Samford
L
Georgia

Savannah State

L

Applalachian State

South Dakota
W

Bowling Green

Southeast Missouri State

L
Kansas

Southeastern Louisiana

L

Louisiana-Lafayette

Southern

L

UTSA

Southern

L

Southern Miss

Southern Illinois

L

Memphis

Southern Utah
L
Oregon

Stephen F. Austin

L

SMU

Stony Brook
L

South Florida

Tennessee State

W

Georgia State

Tennessee Tech

L

Ball State

The Citadel

L
Clemson

Towson

L
Maryland

UC Davis

L

San Diego State

UT Martin

L
Ole Miss

Villanova

L

Temple

VMI

L

Air Force

Wagner

L

Western Michigan

Weber State
L
California

Western Carolina
L

Hawaii

Western Carolina
L
North Carolina

Western Illinois
W

Coastal Carolina

William & Mary

L
Virginia

Wofford
L
South Carolina

Youngstown State
L
Pittsburgh

I don't believe for a second that Georgia (of any other elite FBS program) will invest nearly the preparation, game planning, play calling etc for a game against Samford in the same manner as they would for a SEC game. It's my belief that if Georgia put in the same effort into the Samford game as they did the ND or Mississippi State game's the week prior and after that score would have been far far more lopsided than 42-14. Georgia simply has no reason to completely embarrass Samford. They don't recruit against them, compete against them and Georgia alums could give 2 craps about Samford. They're a gnat that simply needs to be swatted away.

I don't know what #fakenews means? What are you trying to prove with that "slogan"? You're right, 20% of the Final AGS Top 25 notched wins over FBS programs. Those wins came against teams who were a combined 8-40. Georgia Southern, Charlotte, Bowling Green and Coastal Carolina were terrible! I'm sure most of the teams in the D2 Top 25 could beat the 10 worst teams in FCS as well.

You're providing these %'s without ANY context what so ever.

Final AP Top 25 FBS vs FCS
1. Alabama 56 Mercer 0
2. Georgia 42 Samford 14
4. Clemson 61 The Citadel 3
6. UCF 73 Austin Peay 33
9. TCU 63 Jackson State 0
10. Auburn 24 Mercer 10
13. Miami 41 Bethune-Cookman 13
16. Washington 63 Montana 7
18. LSU 45 Chattanooga 10
19. Mississippi State 49 Charleston Southern 0
21. South Florida 31 Stony Brook 17
23. NC State 49 Furman 16
24. Virginia Tech 27 Delaware 0
25. Memphis 44 Southern Illinois 31

JSUSoutherner
June 5th, 2018, 04:40 PM

The only call I felt where we got shafted by the refs at Auburn was on Roc Thomas's touchdown catch (Remember Roc was playing for Auburn). There was a blatant hold on either DJ or Landrum that would have set the Tigers up in 3 and a mile or if they hadn't held probably would have been a sack and a 4th down and we probably woulda got the ball back in good field position and they would have had 7 less points.

But oh well.

FUBeAR
June 5th, 2018, 04:53 PM
I don't believe for a second that Georgia (of any other elite FBS program) will invest nearly the preparation, game planning, play calling etc for a game against Samford in the same manner as they would for a SEC game. It's my belief that if Georgia put in the same effort into the Samford game as they did the ND or Mississippi State game's the week prior and after that score would have been far far more lopsided than 42-14. Georgia simply has no reason to completely embarrass Samford. They don't recruit against them, compete against them and Georgia alums could give 2 craps about Samford. They're a gnat that simply needs to be swatted away.

I don't know what #fakenews means? What are you trying to prove with that "slogan"? You're right, 20% of the Final AGS Top 25 notched wins over FBS programs. Those wins came against teams who were a combined 8-40. Georgia Southern, Charlotte, Bowling Green and Coastal Carolina were terrible! I'm sure most of the teams in the D2 Top 25 could beat the 10 worst teams in FCS as well.

You're providing these %'s without ANY context what so ever.

If Georgia doesn’t prepare for Samford, or any Team, properly, they deserve to get their butts beat. That has no bearing on whether or not the game should be played. It’s a red herring thrown into these kinds of discussions to support a bogus position.

Gnats are similar to mosquitoes, aren’t they? A million people die from malaria every year & as much as 1/2 of the population that has ever lived has died from malaria. Beware that which you think is too small to kill you.

So, breaking it down (accurately) by FCS ranked Teams or not, P5 or G5, wins/losses, average point differentials, and ‘types’ of losses (close vs. routs, etc.) is providing “no context whatsoever?”

Really, I think that the problem is that the facts & context just don’t support your position - that these games should not be played.

My position, I think, is quite clear - I passionately feel that there is no reason, in general, that FCS Teams should not be playing games vs. FBS Teams, as is supported by the results of last year’s games. To opine that they should not is #FakeNews.

Now, I will allow that there are some matchups that probably shouldn’t be staged. Savannah State should probably not play Alabama, for example. But, on the whole & by and large, these games are worthwhile...on Any Given Saturday.

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 5th, 2018, 05:15 PM
If Georgia doesn’t prepare for Samford, or any Team, properly, they deserve to get their butts beat. That has no bearing on whether or not the game should be played. It’s a red herring thrown into these kinds of discussions to support a bogus position.

Gnats are similar to mosquitoes, aren’t they? A million people die from malaria every year & as much as 1/2 of the population that has ever lived has died from malaria. Beware that which you think is too small to kill you.

So, breaking it down (accurately) by FCS ranked Teams or not, P5 or G5, wins/losses, average point differentials, and ‘types’ of losses (close vs. routs, etc.) is providing “no context whatsoever?”

Really, I think that the problem is that the facts & context just don’t support your position - that these games should not be played.

My position, I think, is quite clear - I passionately feel that there is no reason, in general, that FCS Teams should not be playing games vs. FBS Teams, as is supported by the results of last year’s games. To opine that they should not is #FakeNews.

Now, I will allow that there are some matchups that probably shouldn’t be staged. Savannah State should probably not play Alabama, for example. But, on the whole & by and large, these games are worthwhile...on Any Given Saturday.

They've prepared (recruiting, coaching, facilities, weight training, player development) long before game week to beat Samford. That's why they play in college football's top subdivision. Georgia doesn't need to worry about the semantics to beat a clearly inferior program/team. Alabama could go a week without practicing, not look at single tape of Mercer and still crush them. There's no drama or intrigue surrounding that game. Mercer was brought in to be a sacrificial lamb before the Auburn game. It's a game the vast majority of college football fans laugh at.

All those %'s show is what we've known for years. What it doesn't show is what teams (if they're good or bad) were playing. It's clear the Top 25 in FBS on average murdered their FCS opponents. It's also clear, on average, that the Top 25 FCS teams got beat up pretty bad by their FBS opponents. The only wins the Top 25 FCS teams were able to notch came against the absolute dregs of FBS.

You can hold out for miracle. That's fine. I'll go with history and odds. Austin Peay and 85-90+% of FCS have virtually no shot to win their FBS game.

Do you like/advocate Furman and Mercer scheduling D2 games?

FUBeAR
June 5th, 2018, 05:46 PM
They've prepared (recruiting, coaching, facilities, weight training, player development) long before game week to beat Samford. That's why they play in college football's top subdivision. Georgia doesn't need to worry about the semantics to beat a clearly inferior program/team. Alabama could go a week without practicing, not look at single tape of Mercer and still crush them. There's no drama or intrigue surrounding that game. Mercer was brought in to be a sacrificial lamb before the Auburn game. It's a game the vast majority of college football fans laugh at.

All those %'s show is what we've known for years. What it doesn't show is what teams (if they're good or bad) were playing. It's clear the Top 25 in FBS on average murdered their FCS opponents. It's also clear, on average, that the Top 25 FCS teams got beat up pretty bad by their FBS opponents. The only wins the Top 25 FCS teams were able to notch came against the absolute dregs of FBS.

You can hold out for miracle. That's fine. I'll go with history and odds. Austin Peay and 85-90+% of FCS have virtually no shot to win their FBS game.

Do you like/advocate Furman and Mercer scheduling D2 games?You show me Mercer @ Alabama & I’ll show you Mercer @ Auburn and I win because Mercer had a realistic chance to win that game. So, a nearly brand new FCS program batted .500 in being competitive vs. FBS elites. That 1 fact alone renders playing almost ANY other FBS vs. FCS worthwhile.

Your question to me is an excellent question. Nice job. My response is that I would support Mercer & Furman scheduling 1 of those games each year IF it didn’t have such a deleterious effect on their Playoff prospects. Playing 1 FCS game / year does not have that same effect on FBS Schools (unless they lose). Alabama, Georgia, and Clemson all proved that last year. On the other hand, WCU missed the FCS Playoffs just a couple of years ago, solely because they played (and defeated) a D2 Team. It’s not an apples to apples comparison, but still a good question.

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 5th, 2018, 06:06 PM
You show me Mercer @ Alabama & I’ll show you Mercer @ Auburn and I win because Mercer had a realistic chance to win that game. So, a nearly brand new FCS program batted .500 in being competitive vs. FBS elites. That 1 fact alone renders playing almost ANY other FBS vs. FCS worthwhile.

Your question to me is an excellent question. Nice job. My response is that I would support Mercer & Furman scheduling 1 of those games each year IF it didn’t have such a deleterious effect on their Playoff prospects. Playing 1 FCS game / year does not have that same effect on FBS Schools (unless they lose). Alabama, Georgia, and Clemson all proved that last year. On the other hand, WCU missed the FCS Playoffs just a couple of years ago, solely because they played (and defeated) a D2 Team. It’s not an apples to apples comparison, but still a good question.

Contextually I truly believe Auburn went through the motions against Mercer. They have a history of perplexing September outings under Malzahn. After losing a hard fought game to Clemson the week before I'd wager Auburn was not invested against Mercer or "something was up". That's not to say that Mercer didn't play hard or have a "shot"/notched a moral victory. I simply don't believe for a second Mercer got anywhere close to the Tiger's "A game". Auburn clearly turned it up following the Mercer game. They beat Missouri 51-14, Mississippi State 49-10 and Ole Miss 44-23 in the ensuing weeks. It's almost like Malzahn and his staff used Mercer as some type of controlled scrimmage.

Fair enough. Lehigh historically does not schedule FBS games and will not play D2 teams. They're a FCS program that doesn't need $$ so they focus on FCS programs aka their peers. With that said, they play Navy this year (and will get crushed). Arguably Temple's biggest rival is a FCS program (Villanova). I have no real issue with that given how important it is to keep SEPA engaged in college football outside of Penn State. They've beaten us in the past and likely will again.

Go...gate
June 5th, 2018, 06:15 PM

Then that is the fault of the FBS coach and team. You just don't like these games.

Go...gate
June 5th, 2018, 06:17 PM
Contextually I truly believe Auburn went through the motions against Mercer. They have a history of perplexing September outings under Malzahn. After losing a hard fought game to Clemson the week before I'd wager Auburn was not invested against Mercer or "something was up". That's not to say that Mercer didn't play hard or have a "shot"/notched a moral victory. I simply don't believe for a second Mercer got anywhere close to the Tiger's "A game". Auburn clearly turned it up following the Mercer game. They beat Missouri 51-14, Mississippi State 49-10 and Ole Miss 44-23 in the ensuing weeks. It's almost like Malzahn and his staff used Mercer as some type of controlled scrimmage.

Fair enough. Lehigh historically does not schedule FBS games and will not play D2 teams. They're a FCS program that doesn't need $$ so they focus on FCS programs aka their peers. With that said, they play Navy this year (and will get crushed). Arguably Temple's biggest rival is a FCS program (Villanova). I have no real issue with that given how important it is to keep SEPA engaged in college football outside of Penn State. They've beaten us in the past and likely will again.

No more Pennsylvania Athletic Conference games? I remember you guys playing East Stroudsburg and Kutztown.

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 5th, 2018, 06:27 PM
Then that is the fault of the FBS coach and team. You just don't like these games.

How is it their "fault" when they can go at half speed and still win (often in blowout fashion)? They know they're better, by A LOT! It's smart imo I don't see where the "fault" is. 2nd and 3rd teamers might get some extra reps, coaches might be able to really work on certain plays, focus on individual players/units and game situations. I'll call it the "Chuck Daly Approach". The final point spread really might not matter to some coaches.

Now if your Georgia Southern playing UNH or Iowa playing North Dakota State you better go all in. Even then it might not be enough.

I like competitive football games when the outcome has some reasonable doubt. FBS vs FCS games CLEARLY do not provide that on average. Hence why one is FCS and one is FBS. It's not suppose to be competitive. But there are obviously exceptions....

FUBeAR
June 5th, 2018, 06:56 PM
How is it their "fault" when they can go at half speed and still win (often in blowout fashion)? They know they're better, by A LOT! It's smart imo I don't see where the "fault" is. 2nd and 3rd teamers might get some extra reps, coaches might be able to really work on certain plays, focus on individual players/units and game situations. I'll call it the "Chuck Daly Approach". The final point spread really might not matter to some coaches.

Now if your Georgia Southern playing UNH or Iowa playing North Dakota State you better go all in. Even then it might not be enough.

I like competitive football games when the outcome has some reasonable doubt. FBS vs FCS games CLEARLY do not provide that on average. Hence why one is FCS and one is FBS. It's not suppose to be competitive. But there are obviously exceptions....So, if the match-up is not competitive, you say, “See, I’m right.” And if the matchup is competitive, you say the FBS Team didn’t try or had menstrual cramps or whatever and then, “See, I’m right.” You must know my wife. She approaches discussions the exact same way.

I don’t give a rat’s rear end what excuses you (or anyone else) want to make for FBS vs FCS games being competitive 1/3rd of the time. The FACT is that they are & that’s enough competitiveness & enough reason to play them. [FULL STOP]

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 5th, 2018, 07:03 PM
So, if the match-up is not competitive, you say, “See, I’m right.” And if the matchup is competitive, you say the FBS Team didn’t try or had menstrual cramps or whatever and then, “See, I’m right.” You must know my wife. She approaches discussions the exact same way.

I don’t give a rat’s rear end what excuses you (or anyone else) want to make for FBS vs FCS games being competitive 1/3rd of the time. The FACT is that they are & that’s enough competitiveness & enough reason to play them. [FULL STOP]

Things are not as cut and dry as you make them out to be. If you really think Mercer was a "tougher" or better opponent then Missouri, a ranked Mississippi State or even a struggling Ole Miss then we'll obviously never agree. I was not in the Auburn complex those weeks but when you look at the Clemson game the Mercer game and then the 3 games after I think certain conclusions can be drawn. Then again maybe I'm completely off base and 5-6 Mercer would be a tough out for everyone in the SEC not named Alabama.

At the end of the day Mercer was a below average FCS team while Auburn was a top 10/15 FBS team. That's really all that matters...

FUBeAR
June 5th, 2018, 07:12 PM
Things are not as cut and dry as you make them out to be. If you really think Mercer was a "tougher" or better opponent then Missouri, a ranked Mississippi State or even a struggling Ole Miss then we'll obviously never agree. I was not in the Auburn complex those weeks but when you look at the Clemson game the game and then the 3 games after I think certain conclusions can be drawn. Then again maybe I'm completely off base and 5-6 Mercer would be a tough out for everyone in the SEC not named Alabama.

Yep - they were tougher for Auburn, on that day, than all of those Miss(es) were for Auburn on the days that those games were played. It’s right there in the box scores.

I can see that you are starting to ‘get it’...

“maybe...Mercer would be a tough out for everyone in the SEC not named Alabama.”

MAYBE, just MAYBE, they would have been...and that’s why these games make sense to play.

Darnit, you edited your post & added that last erroneous statement.

The correct statement is, instead, “At the end of that day, Auburn was a little bit better than Mercer. And that’s all that mattered that day.”

Go...gate
June 5th, 2018, 09:07 PM

I like competitive football games when the outcome has some reasonable doubt. FBS vs FCS games CLEARLY do not provide that on average. Hence why one is FCS and one is FBS. It's not suppose to be competitive. But there are obviously exceptions....

That is certainly your prerogative. But, as you have seen, others go in a different direction - notwithstanding having a healthy endowment and being a huge underdog. They want to stretch themselves and compete - as they will have to periodically in life. I'm happy to see that Lehigh will be doing this as well this Fall when they go to Annapolis. I'm betting the Engineers will enjoy the experience.

Go...gate
June 5th, 2018, 09:11 PM
Yep - they were tougher for Auburn, on that day, than all of those Miss(es) were for Auburn on the days that those games were played. It’s right there in the box scores.

“maybe...Mercer would be a tough out for everyone in the SEC not named Alabama.”

MAYBE, just MAYBE, they would have been...and that’s why these games make sense to play.

The correct statement is, instead, “At the end of that day, Auburn was a little bit better than Mercer. And that’s all that mattered that day.”

I'll hazard a guess that Mercer was glad they took the chance and stepped up.

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 5th, 2018, 09:27 PM

That's the correct statement?

Auburn dominated the game statistically! The only reason Mercer "only lost" by 14 points is the fact that Auburn had 5 turnovers! Auburn had 510 total yards to Mercer's to 246. Auburn had 26 first downs to Mercer's 12. The Tigers were 12-17 on 3rd downs, Mercer was 6-18. Auburn kicked Mercers ass on the field! Auburn was not a "little bit better" than Mercer that day. The were a helluva lot better but lost possessions kept the game from getting out of hand on the scoreboard. I have no idea what straw your grasping man.

No the correct statement is once again, Mercer was a 5-6 FCS team while Auburn was a Top 10/15 FBS team. That literally is a fact.....

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 5th, 2018, 09:55 PM
I'll hazard a guess that Mercer was glad they took the chance and stepped up.

Go Gate you can and others can believe what you want but those who are willing to take the emotion out of it know Mercer played Alabama and Auburn for 1 reason and 1 reason only, money. Mercer just restarted their program and needs cash/exposure. It had NOTHING to do with going with Tuscaloosa and The Plains of Alabama to compete or win. A start-up full scholarship FCS program with no track record playing two traditional SEC powers (with Alabama being at pinnacle of greatness) is a clear "whoring" situation. They didn't take a "CHANCE". There was not risk involved! They had nothing to lose! They were getting a paycheck and exposure for a loss. That was the deal.

I'm sure Mercer enjoyed both experiences. Still doesn't change the fact they lost by a combined score 80-14. Outgained 1040 yards to 407 and out first downed 48-21 in those games. They were CLEARLY outclassed. Which is fine. But my goodness stop acting like there's not a significant gap between these teams. You know Colgate hasn't come close to winning their recent FBS games. They simply lack the talent/resources to compete successfully for 60 minutes. The great thing is it doesn't matter!! You enjoy your scheduled losses, I poke fun at your constant losing and life goes on! At the end of the day beating FCS programs is what REALLY matters!!

Mike296
June 5th, 2018, 10:50 PM
As an APSU fan I’ll be highly optimistic if we even make this a game. Last years UCF game did show that we can score against FBS opposition. Against Georgia though I think this point is Moot. If we were playing a UTSA or a NMSU we could probably beat them 7/10 times realistically. However, level of competition means absolutely nothing if Georgia has an off day and concedes something like 5 turnovers in their territory. Reminder here for those who don’t know, we actually have a kicker who can kick hell I even know the guy and for crying out loud we have 2 kickers technically. Should Georgia slip up and have some ungodly amount of Turnovers, we could pull something off, but that’s less than 1% likely so I’m not getting my hopes up.

FUBeAR
June 5th, 2018, 11:30 PM
That's the correct statement?

Auburn dominated the game statistically! The only reason Mercer "only lost" by 14 points is the fact that Auburn had 5 turnovers! Auburn had 510 total yards to Mercer's to 246. Auburn had 26 first downs to Mercer's 12. The Tigers were 12-17 on 3rd downs, Mercer was 6-18. Auburn kicked Mercers ass on the field! Auburn was not a "little bit better" than Mercer that day. The were a helluva lot better but lost possessions kept the game from getting out of hand on the scoreboard. I have no idea what straw your grasping man.

No the correct statement is once again, Mercer was a 5-6 FCS team while Auburn was a Top 10/15 FBS team. That literally is a fact.....
LOL. Do you think Auburn had 5 C/QB exchange fumbles and then got out of the way allowing Mercer to recover the ball? Nope, Mercer had 5 TAKEAWAYS - 4 caused fumbles & 1 beautiful pick where the Mercer DB took the ball away from the Auburn WR. Those are as much a part of the game (and the statistics of the game) of Football as yards gained & 1st downs. You know that, right?

Regardless of your quibbling & mischaracterization of a(nother) game that I watched, Mercer had the ball with under 9 minutes to play and an opportunity to take the lead. And, the outcome of the game was not decided until Auburn scored with less than 5 minutes to play on a short field (26 yards) after a short punt (33 yards), a decent return (9 yards), and one of those late-game FCS vs. FBS penalties that others have mentioned here (15 yards) on the return. Auburn NEVER led the game by more than 14 points. You can’t change that or that the final score was 24-10 & you can’t quibble it away. It’s a FACT.

If that’s NOT a competitive Football game, then about 80% of all games played need to be canceled. Maybe, like baseball’s run rule, we’ll implement a rule that games are ended once one Team gets a 14 point lead. We’ll call it the GLTUO (Gluteo?...sounds almost right) DICTUM and we’ll all enjoy College Football so much more because we’ll finally have the competitiveness you demand!

JSUSoutherner
June 5th, 2018, 11:37 PM
As an APSU fan I’ll be highly optimistic if we even make this a game. Last years UCF game did show that we can score against FBS opposition. Against Georgia though I think this point is Moot. If we were playing a UTSA or a NMSU we could probably beat them 7/10 times realistically. However, level of competition means absolutely nothing if Georgia has an off day and concedes something like 5 turnovers in their territory. Reminder here for those who don’t know, we actually have a kicker who can kick hell I even know the guy and for crying out loud we have 2 kickers technically. Should Georgia slip up and have some ungodly amount of Turnovers, we could pull something off, but that’s less than 1% likely so I’m not getting my hopes up.
Kicker? I figured you guys would use this game to get your punter warmed up. :D

Mike296
June 5th, 2018, 11:38 PM
Kicker? I figured you guys would use this game to get your punter warmed up.

Our kicker does the punting as well

JSUSoutherner
June 5th, 2018, 11:48 PM
Our kicker does the punting as well

Ooooooh a dual threat.

Neat.
https://giphy.com/gifs/LxPsfUhFxwRRC

Mike296
June 5th, 2018, 11:49 PM
Ooooooh a dual threat.

Neat.

We technically have two kickers but one of them is on a medical redshirt from what I’ve heard.

FUBeAR
June 6th, 2018, 12:17 AM
Go Gate you can and others can believe what you want but those who are willing to take the emotion out of it know Mercer played Alabama and Auburn for 1 reason and 1 reason only, money. Mercer just restarted their program and needs cash/exposure. It had NOTHING to do with going with Tuscaloosa and The Plains of Alabama to compete or win. A start-up full scholarship FCS program with no track record playing two traditional SEC powers (with Alabama being at pinnacle of greatness) is a clear "whoring" situation. They didn't take a "CHANCE". There was not risk involved! They had nothing to lose! They were getting a paycheck and exposure for a loss. That was the deal.

I'm sure Mercer enjoyed both experiences. Still doesn't change the fact they lost by a combined score 80-14. Outgained 1040 yards to 407 and out first downed 48-21 in those games. They were CLEARLY outclassed. Which is fine. But my goodness stop acting like there's not a significant gap between these teams. You know Colgate hasn't come close to winning their recent FBS games. They simply lack the talent/resources to compete successfully for 60 minutes. The great thing is it doesn't matter!! You enjoy your scheduled losses, I poke fun at your constant losing and life goes on! At the end of the day beating FCS programs is what REALLY matters!!I’m sure you won’t believe this because it is unfathomable with your distorted viewpoint, but I can 100% assure you that Mercer’s Players & Coaches went into the Auburn game EXPECTING to win the game. I KNOW this; I’m not speculating about it. They were coming off a rout of Jacksonville & a heartbreaking 1 point loss to SoCon Champion Wofford after leading the game for 56.5 minutes. They were feeling good about their chances in the season ahead, despite the loss to Woffy. They also watched Auburn’s Offense struggle horribly vs. Clemson & they figured if they could shorten the game (which they did by leading in time of possession by about 4 minutes), if they could win the turnover battle (which they did by taking the ball away from Auburn 5 times), play bend-but-don’t-break D (which, in a sense, they did by limiting Auburn to a FG once, forcing those TO’s, and only allowing Auburn 11 possessions total & only 4 in the 2nd half), they would give themselves a chance to be in the game late (which they were). And, they EXPECTED to find a way to win it at the wire...which they didn’t...unfortunately.

For many unfortunate reasons, which I shall not enumerate, Mercer did NOT go into the Alabama game expecting to win as they DID expect to do at Auburn; and their performance showed that they did not. I’m sure Alabama’s Talent had a lot to do with the difference in the score, as well. The Crimson Tide had a pretty good season, didn’t they? And, I also imagine that Coach Saban FORCED his Players to watch the Mercer @ Auburn game at least a dozen times that week. He probably didn’t let them watch any other Mercer games. After watching Mercer take Auburn to the wire, there was no way Alabama was going to allow Mercer to ‘sneak up’ on them. Mercer tried to do some of the same things vs. Bama. They did win TOP by almost 10 minutes and they did force 2 fumbles, but they also threw 3 bad picks & gave up 2 very short-field scores (6 & 17 yards) in the 2nd half that made it an uglier rout.

Both games were wonderful experiences for Mercer’s Players & Fans. There were no significant injuries to Mercer’s Players in either game. I believe Auburn did have a bad one though - I think they lost a starting OLman. They had a great shot to beat Auburn & they certainly weren’t the 1st & definitely won’t be the last Team (at any level) to get their a$$es handed to them in Tuscaloosa.

PaladinFan
June 6th, 2018, 04:49 AM
I heard Mercer’s president speak the night before the Auburn game. He gave a wry smile and said the Bears were heading to the Plains to get a win.

Does a single game that day tell me much about either Mercer or Auburn and, to a greater extent, FCS/FBS games as a whole? No. Mercer did exactly what they needed to do that day—limit mistakes, hold onto the football, and scrap and claw with a superior team for four quarters. That’s how you put yourself in a position to pull an upset in that game.

Did going +5 turnovers help? You bet your biscuit. Not many teams can lose 5 possession on turnovers and win a football game. For comparison, Alabama put up similar offensive numbers to Auburn against Mercer and won by 56. Of course, Mercer wasn’t able to force the Tide to cough the ball up (or not as often).

Still, none of that really matters. You play the team in front of you. If Auburn was unprepared or lacked focus, that’s on their coaches and players. All the credit to Mercer for showing up in one of the tougher venues in college football and not getting pushed around. They gave the SoCon a great deal to be proud of that day.