PDA

View Full Version : California coaching salaries: $200K

VandalBasher
May 27th, 2018, 10:12 PM
https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/5/27/17400970/california-amendment-universities-salaries-200000-cfb-head-coaches

How would this impact SAC St., UC Davis, Cal Poly and USD?

Lion1983
May 27th, 2018, 10:58 PM
Another attempt at communism?

97Torero
May 27th, 2018, 11:46 PM
Not that I think it has any chance of becoming reality, but USD being private would not be impacted.

bonarae
May 28th, 2018, 04:22 AM
I think $200K for Division I football coaches seems too much for some state schools... we'll see if there is any impact.

JacksFan40
May 28th, 2018, 08:40 AM
Another attempt at communism?
That state pretty much is communist already. We’ve discussed them in the political board more than enough.

KPSUL
May 28th, 2018, 09:05 AM
https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/5/27/17400970/california-amendment-universities-salaries-200000-cfb-head-coaches

How would this impact SAC St., UC Davis, Cal Poly and USD?

I believe this is still a proposal, it would require passing a public referendum or state legislation. It would not effect Univ. of San Diego because it is a private catholic school, but the other three could be adversely effected. Alumni and fan funding might offset a head coaches loss of salary, but I'd think a coach under contract could sue the school for breach of contract if they unilaterally cut his salary. Really stupid proposal, I hope they never implement it.

dgtw
May 28th, 2018, 09:51 AM
The really big salaries at places like UCLA are mostly covered by booster money. I would imagine if a FCS school was paying a coach more than $200,000 under this proposal they'd just have boosters pick up the rest.

DFW HOYA
May 28th, 2018, 11:39 AM
Salaries do not equal compensation. At many state schools, salaries are kept relatively low and there are personal services contracts which make up the difference. For example, UNC basketball coach Roy Williams made only $408,000 in salary in 2016 but his compensation topped $2 million.

WestCoastAggie
May 28th, 2018, 12:53 PM
This would really only affect UC Davis as they are apart of the UC System. Cal Poly and Sac State are in the Cal State system, so this wouldn't apply to them.

However, as others have stated, UC Davis' AD and Foundation arm can make up the difference in salary.

Not. A. Big. Deal.

WestCoastAggie
May 28th, 2018, 12:57 PM
The really big salaries at places like UCLA are mostly covered by booster money. I would imagine if a FCS school was paying a coach more than $200,000 under this proposal they'd just have boosters pick up the rest.

Quite a few FCS schools that pay over $200,000 have booster and foundation arms that pick up the difference.

mvemjsunpx
May 28th, 2018, 05:50 PM
I'm strongly in favor coaching salary caps, but $200K is way too low for DI. Maybe for DII? Also, it pretty much has to be a nationwide cap to really work.

VandalBasher
May 29th, 2018, 09:45 AM
I'm strongly in favor coaching salary caps, but $200K is way too low for DI. Maybe for DII? Also, it pretty much has to be a nationwide cap to really work.

Californian politicians don't care about a nationwide cap. It is all about the optics of how it looks.

Sycamore62
May 29th, 2018, 09:58 AM

salary caps will cause unintended results that are worse that what you are hoping to solve

VandalBasher
May 29th, 2018, 01:01 PM
salary caps will cause unintended results that are worse that what you are hoping to solve

The only teams that won't be affected by a "cap" would be FBS.

NAIA, FCS, DII/DIII would simply be further limited from funding.

PAllen
May 30th, 2018, 04:57 AM
The big boys will make it up through boosters and other compensation. The small fish probably don't pay much more than that anyway. Those in the middle will be squeezed, but that's the way any of these "equality" policies work.

lucchesicourt
June 8th, 2018, 09:29 PM
The big boys will make it up through boosters and other compensation. The small fish probably don't pay much more than that anyway. Those in the middle will be squeezed, but that's the way any of these "equality" policies work.

Actually the people of CA are getting fed up with the politicians making moves on tax laws without the people voting on said laws they want passed. Our representatives are passing tax laws without any say from the voters. We will begin seeing incumbents being voted out of office for not representing their constituents, but only their own interests. In November, the people will vote to repeal a gas tax the politicians placed on the states citizens without their consent. And, I will definitely not vote for anyone who voted for this tax.

PAllen
June 9th, 2018, 05:39 AM
Actually the people of CA are getting fed up with the politicians making moves on tax laws without the people voting on said laws they want passed. Our representatives are passing tax laws without any say from the voters. We will begin seeing incumbents being voted out of office for not representing their constituents, but only their own interests. In November, the people will vote to repeal a gas tax the politicians placed on the states citizens without their consent. And, I will definitely not vote for anyone who voted for this tax.

As long as it's a one party state, it won't matter. The Democratic Party has done a wonderful job in California of ensuring a permanent Democratic majority moving forward. Just sending in new democrats who want to move up in the party ranks isn't going to change things.