https://twitter.com/NDSUathletics/status/999362276229513216

IBleedYellow
May 23rd, 2018, 02:40 PM
It looks better than I thought.

Man I hope this gets funded fast.

TheKingpin28
May 23rd, 2018, 02:50 PM

I am shocked that the airport and FAA is not making a big stink out of this.

I however, am excited for this. If they do it right, they could move spring ball to it and put in temporary seating on the sides to cut costs and maybe they could actually make an event out of it.

IBleedYellow
May 23rd, 2018, 02:58 PM

I however, am excited for this. If they do it right, they could move spring ball to it and put in temporary seating on the sides to cut costs and maybe they could actually make an event out of it.

Uhhhh....it's going to be like 20 feet higher than the track facility right next to it. The Fargodome TOWERS over it in comparison.

centennial
May 23rd, 2018, 03:00 PM
Can we name it the FargoBarn?

Serpentor
May 23rd, 2018, 03:07 PM

Don't you already have an indoor practice facility? I believe it's called the Fargodome.

Bisonoline
May 23rd, 2018, 03:12 PM
Don't you already have an indoor practice facility? I believe it's called the Fargodome.

The city owns it and its not always available when needed due to inclimate weather. Plus you have other sports who need practice time during the winter as well.

Serpentor
May 23rd, 2018, 03:14 PM
The city owns it and its not always available when needed due to inclimate weather. Plus you have other sports who need practice time during the winter as well.

It might actually help to get the Bisons out of the dome during the summer to allow for renovations, too. Yeah, good point.

TheKingpin28
May 23rd, 2018, 03:16 PM
Uhhhh....it's going to be like 20 feet higher than the track facility right next to it. The Fargodome TOWERS over it in comparison.

I get that, but the FD was grandfathered in. IIRC, when Gast was building the Greenhouse, they freaked out about that as well.

Bisonoline
May 23rd, 2018, 03:21 PM
It might actually help to get the Bisons out of the dome during the summer to allow for renovations, too. Yeah, good point.

?????????????

IBleedYellow
May 23rd, 2018, 03:24 PM
?????????????

Joke about how we're either always 1) Eating or 2) Always trying to get better for football.

Serpentor
May 23rd, 2018, 03:27 PM
Joke about how we're either always 1) Eating or 2) Always trying to get better for football.

I figured Bison players practice during the off-season, same as any other team.

Professor Chaos
May 23rd, 2018, 03:29 PM
I get that, but the FD was grandfathered in. IIRC, when Gast was building the Greenhouse, they freaked out about that as well.
They're currently building a new high rise just south of Newman Outdoor Field that's further west than the other high rises (and even west of the Fargodome I believe) so NDSU must know the password or something to get around those freak outs.

TheKingpin28
May 23rd, 2018, 04:05 PM
They're currently building a new high rise just south of Newman Outdoor Field that's further west than the other high rises (and even west of the Fargodome I believe) so NDSU must know the password or something to get around those freak outs.

Haven't been up there in awhile so I did not know they were building another high rise. Good for them. But as I said earlier, I am all for it and glad they are finally doing it.

Outsider1
May 23rd, 2018, 04:09 PM
It don't have to be huge, it's a practice facility. It looks nice, not that you guys need much help....

cx500d
May 23rd, 2018, 04:15 PM

That’s what I was wondering

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cx500d
May 23rd, 2018, 04:18 PM

Not always available, but available what, maybe 80-90% of the time? The rest of the time they could suck it up and practice outside so they don’t lose that skill like the Vikings did when they moved into the metrodump

Sycamore62
May 23rd, 2018, 04:25 PM
Maybe the pilots should consider learning how to fly a plane

Bisonoline
May 23rd, 2018, 04:36 PM
Not always available, but available what, maybe 80-90% of the time? The rest of the time they could suck it up and practice outside so they don’t lose that skill like the Vikings did when they moved into the metrodump

I dont think its available that much. Plus you have to look at the fact they work out all year long now and other sports need a place to practice during the winter.

I remember a few years back that the FB team had to go to UND to practice before a playoff game.

cx500d
May 23rd, 2018, 04:56 PM
I dont think its available that much. Plus you have to look at the fact they work out all year long now and other sports need a place to practice during the winter.

I remember a few years back that the FB team had to go to UND to practice before a playoff game.

Luckily the UND facility is always available during playoff time

Winterborn
May 23rd, 2018, 05:44 PM
Some renderings of the proposal. Credit goes to EC8H on Bisonville.

https://spark.adobe.com/page/lssl2Kbdld4hA/

https://i.imgflip.com/2av73t.jpg

https://i.imgflip.com/2av6vb.jpg

https://i.imgflip.com/2av6x4.jpg

https://i.imgflip.com/2av6ze.jpg

POD Knows
May 23rd, 2018, 06:14 PM

I however, am excited for this. If they do it right, they could move spring ball to it and put in temporary seating on the sides to cut costs and maybe they could actually make an event out of it.Just read this thread, I actually laughed at your post because I thought maybe you were referring to the fact that the building looks a little bit like an airplane hangar and the FAA and the airport were pissed about it.

TheKingpin28
May 23rd, 2018, 06:18 PM
Just read this thread, I actually laughed at your post because I thought maybe you were referring to the fact that the building looks a little bit like an airplane hangar and the FAA and the airport were pissed about it.

Turn Albrecht into a runway and bam, NDSU has its own private in and out of NDSU without ever having to leave campus again.

WTFCollegefootballfan
May 23rd, 2018, 08:52 PM

They have to roll out the field, which takes time. Not practical if events are going on at the dome.

ALPHAGRIZ1
May 23rd, 2018, 09:13 PM
Is it true they are saying that will cost 37 million to build?

WTF

You can buy an entire 100' x 300' metal fab building for under 350k...............Where/how do you spend the other $36,650,000?

TheKingpin28
May 23rd, 2018, 09:16 PM

WTF

You can buy an entire 100' x 300' metal fab building for under 350k...............Where/how do you spend the other $36,650,000?

https://i.imgflip.com/2aw2ho.jpg

and if they still have money remaining after that...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDS6izhk1ZE

bisonnation
May 24th, 2018, 12:30 AM

WTF

There is much more to it than just a shed. It's also 70' tall for punting. It has 2 full turf fields, outdoor lights, hall of champions, locker room, meeting room, showers, additional team rooms, new weight room, training room, fueling station, sports medicine, recruiting room, giant glass windows, 12 garage doors, and technology upgrades. There will be 35000 square feet in addition to the actual practice field.

ALPHAGRIZ1
May 24th, 2018, 07:40 AM
There is much more to it than just a shed. It's also 70' tall for punting. It has 2 full turf fields, outdoor lights, hall of champions, locker room, meeting room, showers, additional team rooms, new weight room, training room, fueling station, sports medicine, recruiting room, giant glass windows, 12 garage doors, and technology upgrades. There will be 35000 square feet in addition to the actual practice field.

I get that there is more to it than just a shed but even if you spend 1 million for each item you listed and that ****ing overkill in a lot of areas you are still under 20 million. Just wondering about the price if you guys can raise that then more power to you spend it and make it awesome.

Outsider1
May 24th, 2018, 08:38 AM
I get that there is more to it than just a shed but even if you spend 1 million for each item you listed and that ****ing overkill in a lot of areas you are still under 20 million. Just wondering about the price if you guys can raise that then more power to you spend it and make it awesome.

I do tend to agree on the overkill. Our brand new stadium, tower, field, locker rooms, video board, etc... cost roughly $40 million. This is just a practice facility.

Sycamore62
May 24th, 2018, 08:39 AM

I was thinking the same thing. Its not like they are building it in Illinois. Its kind of like when Chris Rock said "If the Blair Witch Project cost $60,000 to make then someone's walking around with $59,000 in their pocket"

Evolution Prime
May 24th, 2018, 09:28 AM
SDSU's IPF cost around $32 million, but we also didn't have an outdoor turf field to go with it since the complex is attached to the stadium. From what I've seen of the rendering for the NDSU facility, it looks pretty nice.

Bisonator
May 24th, 2018, 09:29 AM
Ever notice how every public facility is about 10 times what it should cost? I mean a fricking high school addition that adds 3 classrooms, bathrooms and storage is $22 million now days! I think these contractors just increase their bids hearing the words "public facility"!

Evolution Prime
May 24th, 2018, 09:30 AM
Ever notice how every public facility is about 10 times what it should cost? I mean a fricking high school addition that adds 3 classrooms, bathrooms and storage is $22 million now days! I think these contractors just increase their bids hearing the words "public facility"!

Try working at a nuclear power plant. Then you can see some real cost hikes.

Catbooster
May 24th, 2018, 11:46 AM
No doubt it's going to have some more expensive elements than typical construction, but it does seem expensive for what appears to be a pre-engineered steel building. Someone said 35,000 sf in an earlier post - that's over $1,000 per sf.

But either way, congrats. These usually help numerous other sports besides football.

Professor Chaos
May 24th, 2018, 12:03 PM
No doubt it's going to have some more expensive elements than typical construction, but it does seem expensive for what appears to be a pre-engineered steel building. Someone said 35,000 sf in an earlier post - that's over $1,000 per sf.

But either way, congrats. These usually help numerous other sports besides football.
It's 35,000 sq ft other than the indoor practice surface which is roughly 65,000 sq ft (120 yds x 60 yds). Still not cheap by any means though.

bisonnation
May 24th, 2018, 12:27 PM

Fortunately, our facility will be privately funded.

bisonnation
May 24th, 2018, 12:38 PM

I think the plan is to think ahead and have facilities competitive with G5 schools. That way if there is ever some kind of movement, like the Power 5 breaking off and doing their own thing, were not trying to play catch up

Gotta remember we have facilities wars within our own conference. Youngstown, SDSU, and UND already have one.

BEAR
May 24th, 2018, 01:42 PM
That looks nice NDSU!

$37 million...woah!

Our nearly 8000 sq. ft. weight facility cost $1.5 million in 2012. We built our indoor facility in 2004 as we were deciding to transition to diviions I. It is nothing more than a metal shed without the attached weight room but its what we could afford in 2004. xlolx But it does keep the hot sun at bay..

Bisonator
May 24th, 2018, 01:56 PM
Fortunately, our facility will be privately funded.
I know that just stating how public infrastructure is always way higher costs.

At least we won't be selling assets to help pay for it like another instate institution.......xcoffeex

F'N Hawks
May 24th, 2018, 02:46 PM
I know that just stating how public infrastructure is always way higher costs.

At least we won't be selling assets to help pay for it like another instate institution.......xcoffeex

Nope, just sold your soul to Sanford like the your neighbors.

POD Knows
May 24th, 2018, 04:06 PM
Nope, just sold your soul to Sanford like the your neighbors.Says the guy with Nazi loving $$ in brick and mortar just north of the UND campus.

Bisonoline
May 24th, 2018, 06:18 PM
Nope, just sold your soul to Sanford like the your neighbors.

Sanford isnt taking 52% of out tickets sales. What? oh Wait???

F'N Hawks
May 24th, 2018, 06:42 PM
Sanford isnt taking 52% of out tickets sales. What? oh Wait???

Neive to the Sanford deal and what they ask for.

Interesting that NDSU apparently never sells off unneeded land for monetary gain.

Bisonoline
May 24th, 2018, 07:49 PM

Interesting that NDSU apparently never sells off unneeded land for monetary gain.

They arent making anymore of it so I think its part of a future strategy.

cx500d
May 24th, 2018, 09:28 PM

I can think of a big plot of unneeded / useless land between 23rd st and 42nd st in grand forks that should be auctioned off, maybe to be used for a better purpose such as disposal of oil drilling waste or as a landfill for the good citizens of grand forks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Catbooster
May 25th, 2018, 05:01 PM
It's 35,000 sq ft other than the indoor practice surface which is roughly 65,000 sq ft (120 yds x 60 yds). Still not cheap by any means though.
So maybe more like $600/sf for the 35,000 and $250/sf for the field? Hard to know how to split it up, but that's more reasonable. Like you said, still not cheap. That's always a hard thing IMO. You want to make it as cheap as possible, but you'll have to live with that building for a long time. It's nice to have an attractive building (especially in a case like this - recruits will like it) but it costs money.

Some of that budget may also be for the outdoor field and site improvements too? Square footage costs can be convenient, but often misleading.

BadlandsGrizFan
May 29th, 2018, 03:56 PM
Do you have to make everything you build look like a freaking barn in Fargo???

Bisonoline
May 29th, 2018, 04:14 PM

Its called functionality. We would much rather get more bang for the buck on what works than waste money on window dressing.

Outsider1
May 29th, 2018, 04:20 PM
Its called functionality. We would much rather get more bang for the buck on what works than waste money on window dressing.

Trouble is, much of the costs discussions on here seem to make one wonder how much bang for your buck you are actually getting??

F'N Hawks
May 29th, 2018, 04:23 PM
Trouble is, much of the costs discussions on here seem to make one wonder how much bang for your buck you are actually getting??

you should see their basketball arena retrofit and how much they spent on it. That contractor is set for life.

Bisonoline
May 29th, 2018, 04:25 PM

This is a message board. I certainly doubt anyone here knows the ins and outs on the planning and building of an an IPF.

Outsider1
May 29th, 2018, 04:27 PM
This is a message board. I certainly doubt anyone here knows the ins and outs on the planning and building of an an IPF.

No, but we do have other facilities to compare with. Things are expensive these days I get it, especially labor, which costs the same regardless of what a facility looks like. It's a nice facility don't get me wrong.

Bisonoline
May 29th, 2018, 04:30 PM
No, but we do have other facilities to compare with. Things are expensive these days I get it, especially labor, which costs the same regardless of what a facility looks like. It's a nice facility don't get me wrong.

I get what you are saying.

IBleedYellow
May 29th, 2018, 04:34 PM
Considering we've kicked 98% of this subdivisions ass for the past decade...maybe y'all should care a little bit less about how we spend our money and worry about what your program is doing to keep up on and off the field?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

IBleedYellow
May 29th, 2018, 04:37 PM
you should see their basketball arena retrofit and how much they spent on it. That contractor is set for life.Y'all spent $20m on your first phase of your IPF that didn't include weight rooms or even a full football field and now you just got approved for another $36m addition.

Ours will service more sports and cost less... Plus a new basketball arena. I'd say we came out ahead here.

Outsider1
May 29th, 2018, 04:40 PM
Considering we've kicked 98% of this subdivisions ass for the past decade...maybe y'all should care a little bit less about how we spend our money and worry about what your program is doing to keep up on and off the field?

I'm guessing you still bleed red like the rest of us ;) But ya definitely got me there big buffalo buddy.

F'N Hawks
May 29th, 2018, 04:43 PM
Y'all spent $20m on your first phase of your IPF that didn't include weight rooms or even a full football field and now you just got approved for another $36m addition.

Ours will service more sports and cost less... Plus a new basketball arena. I'd say we came out ahead here.

Wrong. The track is the best track surface in the world, best they could possibly get. Factor that in cause I am sure you didn't know that. Plus, it is a 120 yard field, not 100 like other. Just the end zone corner (about 5 yards wide) is clipped off. Oh, and they have a lineman turf area on the one end.

Basically you have no idea what your talking about.

NoVABison
May 29th, 2018, 05:41 PM
you should see their basketball arena retrofit and how much they spent on it. That contractor is set for life.

I have worked in the construction industry for 35 years, so I have a pretty good idea what things cost... the estimated cost for the NDSU IPF looks to be pretty realistic, and the costs for that SHAC at NDSU is definitely in-line with what I have seen. There is a lot more that goes into building a facility than just putting up a pre-engineered building (ie a Butler Building): HVAC, plumbing, electrical, fire protection, etc. All those systems within a building have real costs. When this was originally announced earlier this month, I took a look at the IPFs for some of the P5 schools, Auburn, LSU, Alabama, and the costs, size, and amenities of those facilities are very comparable to the IPF proposed by NDSU.

As for contractors getting rich, the typical profit I see on bids is 2.5%... they get a bit more on change orders. But no general contractor is gashing NDSU for the cost of a building.

clenz
May 29th, 2018, 05:49 PM

Oh the mother ****ing irony of this statement and the absurd amount of wasted energy from NDSU fans pointed at the unidome as well as the doors in the dome.

****ing christ, how am I the only one to notice this?

clenz
May 29th, 2018, 05:55 PM
As for the cost - it seems high to me, but I’m not in ND and costs vary so greatly across the country it’s impossible to compare

Though for contrast UNI released plans of a new basketball/volleyball practice facility that is 4 levels with all new officers for men’s, women’s basketball and volleyball. I think there is going to be 6 or 8 locker rooms, two weight rooms, a dozen different meeting rooms, conference rooms, connecting it into the already existing basketball arena and the cost of changing the arena structure around and what not and the cost is 40m.

Exterior mock up

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180529/527dcbbffb0a8560f458471924c094ea.jpg

How that compares to a football practice facility? I don’t know but it’s an interesting comp for cost of facilities.

Bisonator
May 29th, 2018, 05:57 PM
You got something against barns? :)

Apparently its good enough for some NFL teams.....
http://www.buccaneers.com/assets/images/imported/TB/2017/Article/06-june/practice1.jpg

Bisonoline
May 29th, 2018, 06:10 PM
Oh the mother ****ing irony of this statement and the absurd amount of wasted energy from NDSU fans pointed at the unidome as well as the doors in the dome.

****ing christ, how am I the only one to notice this?

WTF are you talking about???

clenz
May 29th, 2018, 06:23 PM
WTF are you talking about???where do I start with finding garage door jokes, sewage plant jokes, Soviet bomb shelter jokes, etc.

I’m sure I’m not just dreaming I’ve read those for the last decade.

Bisonoline
May 29th, 2018, 06:24 PM
where do I start with finding garage door jokes, sewage plant jokes, Soviet bomb shelter jokes, etc.

I’m sure I’m not just dreaming I’ve read those for the last decade.

Oh those jokes.xlolx So whats your point?

clenz
May 29th, 2018, 06:25 PM
Oh those jokes.xlolx So whats your point?

Functionally. Who cares about window dressings, right?

Or does that only count for NDSU?

Bisonoline
May 29th, 2018, 06:27 PM

Only NDSU.
Dude you are taking this way too seriously. You want to mock NDSU go right ahead. :D

BisonFan02
May 29th, 2018, 06:31 PM

To be fair, I laugh at the "fargomall" jokes too....just as much as I think the UNI dome and dakotadome look like water treatment facilities.

I usually trash the garage doors for their need of paint cans to add moral victory years to them....

NDSU has a conference champ banner too....but whatevs. :D

POD Knows
May 29th, 2018, 07:09 PM
Do you have to make everything you build look like a freaking barn in Fargo???It doesn't look like a barn, it looks like an airplane hangar.

POD Knows
May 29th, 2018, 07:10 PM
you should see their basketball arena retrofit and how much they spent on it. That contractor is set for life.Yea, NDSU got screwed there, I have only been to one BB game and was completely underwhelmed

BisonFan02
May 29th, 2018, 07:49 PM
Yea, NDSU got screwed there, I have only been to one BB game and was completely underwhelmed

Cough Cough..... :D 15 Million and built from scratch....and plenty nice compared to the SHAC....which is the funny part about it.

http://www.jimmieathletics.com/images/2017-18/Jamestown_EXT_011.jpg

Bisonoline
May 30th, 2018, 12:09 AM
Yea, NDSU got screwed there, I have only been to one BB game and was completely underwhelmed

Had season tickets. The seats were so uncomfortable I dropped them.

IBleedYellow
May 30th, 2018, 08:35 AM
Wrong. The track is the best track surface in the world, best they could possibly get. Factor that in cause I am sure you didn't know that. Plus, it is a 120 yard field, not 100 like other. Just the end zone corner (about 5 yards wide) is clipped off. Oh, and they have a lineman turf area on the one end.

Basically you have no idea what your talking about.

So it's not a full football field, just like I said.

You still are raising another 36m for the place, so clearly you have room for improvement. But what do I know.

NDSUguy
May 30th, 2018, 12:27 PM
Cough Cough..... :D 15 Million and built from scratch....and plenty nice compared to the SHAC....which is the funny part about it.

http://www.jimmieathletics.com/images/2017-18/Jamestown_EXT_011.jpg

The SHAC houses the NDSU athletic department offices, equipment room, sports medicine, strength and conditioning, and the Bison Ticket Office. There is an academic center, student-athlete lounge, and a fueling station within the weight room.

The Sanford Health Athletic Complex is also home to the Scheels Center and Nodak Basketball Performance Center.

Scheels Center (http://gobison.com/facilities/?id=37), a 5,700-seat arena for wrestling, men's and women's basketball, features chairback seating, an open concourse overlooking the arena, a club room on the upper east side, and as many as six basketball hoops for training on non-game days.

The Nodak Insurance Basketball Performance Center (http://gobison.com/facilities/?id=39) opened in November 2015 for NDSU men's and women's basketball. Connected on the southwest corner of the SHAC, it is adjacent to the teams' and coaches' locker rooms and offers two full courts with six basketball hoops for practices.

The Harold Newman Arena at UofJ is much smaller in size and has much less to offer. That arena has seating for 2000 and not much more.

NDSU spent ~$50M and UofJ spent ~15M.

nodak651
May 30th, 2018, 12:39 PM
So it's not a full football field, just like I said.

You still are raising another 36m for the place, so clearly you have room for improvement. But what do I know.

I completely agree with you. UND has room for a full size field, and then some, as the building is massive. As usual, the track ruined a good football facility. I posted a picture of Michigan's practice facility on SS and predicted you guys would do something similar, and you did. NDSU will have a better football practice facility, imo, simply because of the track. Wish UND would have built a separate indoor track facility.

Layout of UND's field: http://www.iconarchitects.com/images/projectImages/und-indoor3.jpg

IBleedYellow
May 30th, 2018, 03:15 PM
I completely agree with you. UND has room for a full size field, and then some, as the building is massive. As usual, the track ruined a good football facility. I posted a picture of Michigan's practice facility on SS and predicted you guys would do something similar, and you did. NDSU will have a better football practice facility, imo, simply because of the track. Wish UND would have built a separate indoor track facility.

Layout of UND's field: http://www.iconarchitects.com/images/projectImages/und-indoor3.jpgThank you. I should have posted that picture earlier.

One thing that's very different between our two schools... NDSU is making the Indoor Football Practice facility while UND created a "High performance center."

Football. We're a football school and that's where we are investing money here. Now, they are creating this facility to work with many other sports like baseball, softball and men's/women's golf, but this is first and foremost a football facility.

UND created their facility to cover as many sports as possible to try to save money. However because of that it won't be able to work for all sports perfectly.

NDSU splitting the football facility and the track facility may cost more, but I believe it's a better investment.

Also, the Shelly Elig I believe was included in the funding for the Sanford Health Athletic Complex, so it probably wasn't more than 6m anyway.

So 19m + 36m (UND) > 6m + 38m.

bisonnation
June 1st, 2018, 12:00 AM

Not many shapes you can build a ginormous 120 yard field with a 70 foot roof. Gotta remember, lots of snow on the roof a any building in the midwest. I think it looks great, so does the Dome

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 2nd, 2018, 07:09 PM
Had season tickets. The seats were so uncomfortable I dropped them.

IMO, the seats in the SHAC suck, to close together and no room.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
June 2nd, 2018, 08:42 PM
IMO, the seats in the SHAC suck, to close together and no room.

Is that because they are in fact close together or because the average fan is 50lbs overweight?

Thumper 76
June 2nd, 2018, 10:59 PM
Is that because they are in fact close together or because the average fan is 50lbs overweight?

I mean. If you’re an adult sized male they’re tight as hell.

Bisonoline
June 2nd, 2018, 11:09 PM

Size of seat, angle of back rest to seat and when they changed the seats due to the donors request somebody dropped the ball and forgot to inform everyone that the floor of the risers needed to be made bigger also-hence no leg room. I could also rest my elbow in--The drink holder.

But thank you for your insightful question.

F'N Hawks
June 3rd, 2018, 08:46 AM
Why do they refuse to get rid of that railing behind the lower level, forcing everyone to walk down to the court level to get concessions, etc? Is that some sort of tactical thing?

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 3rd, 2018, 10:16 PM

Too close together. I'm 5-11 and the leg room is horrible. Anyone taller it must be miserable to sit there for a game.

BisonFan02
June 4th, 2018, 12:55 AM
Too close together. I'm 5-11 and the leg room is horrible. Anyone taller it must be miserable to sit there for a game.

Yup.....they are ****.

Winterborn
June 4th, 2018, 08:46 AM

I am 6-1 and it is cramped. Knees hit the seat in front of me, if I even remotely don't sit with my back completely straight. To be honest the bench seating might be more comfortable than the chairs. I was looking at getting season tickets but after being in there for a couple of games decided to pass.

clenz
June 4th, 2018, 08:50 AM
Why do they refuse to get rid of that railing behind the lower level, forcing everyone to walk down to the court level to get concessions, etc? Is that some sort of tactical thing?

Because it’s not a basketball arena. I got tons of **** for saying that when I first saw renderings, and based on reviews since it opened my thoughts have backed up. It’s a multipurpose facility that happens to have space for retracted seats around a temporary basketball court location. I noticed the seats looked a long ways from the court during the building of it. Was told it was because they weren’t extended in the photos. They have been complaints about how far the first row of seats are away. I also noticed how narrow the seats looked. Seems that was also true. A ton of that stems from using retractable seats. The distance between back and front is narrowed because of the need to have the ability to make it flat when it’s retracted. There were a few other things but those were the major ones I got push back on.

The narrower seats and shorter leg room is fairly common in most new facilities but becomes very pronounced in retracted seating. This allows for more seats, and another row, to be fit in. Meaning more seats to sell and more potential revenue. This squeezing in seats is especially true in smaller physical venues - especially D1 settings where potential seating number is an important selling feature to get teams to play road games there and potential conference realignment. If NDSU has built a 4,100-4,600 seat facility that would have been comfortable for fans it would not be looked at as “kindly” as it was when NDSU was selling a new “5,000 whatever it is seat facility” to donors and the state for funding.

I fee the exact same way at the US Cellular Center in Cedar Rapids. They renovated that a few years back. There is zero room in there to get in and out of your seat even if it’s empty. Put people in there and it’s not even worth going to an event there. AAMoF I won’t. I’ve been to one NBA preseason game there and one IFL game. Will never go back. They squeezed as many seats in there as I could. And I do mean squeeze. Unless your 5,6 and 130lbs you won’t fit.

The building it’s in is quite large but it’s part of a hotel/convention center set up. So the actual arena part is very tight. Quite similar to how the actual basketball area at SHAC

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180604/b421295e798ec7cb881d14b0e16af972.jpeg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180604/d8a5015a4371b3fafecf188ed02f0e73.jpeg

I still get a kick out of this headline. It wasn’t true then and it certainly doesn’t seem to hold up after reviews from being going.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180604/c8af639883cfc955bf2b1ab4b6438879.jpg

However, NDSU isn’t a basketball school. Basketball is a rather large after thought and it’s a good facility for the level of support and finding that program gets. It’s a bit limiting though in that regard.

Professor Chaos
June 4th, 2018, 10:35 AM
I still think there's a lot to like about the SHAC especially given what it was replacing. My biggest complaints are the leg room (which I agree it atrocious) and the fact that there are seats instead of aisles directly behind the basket. I'm not sure what railing F'n Hawks is referring to since there is access to the upper and lower concourses from the aisle of every section as far as I know or have seen.

The seats are comfy but from what I've heard that's the problem. Apparently someone decided late in the construction process to replace hard plastic seats and chair backs with cushy upholstered seats and chairbacks and that led to the legroom issue since, apparently, no one realized the upholstered seats/chairbacks took up more space than the plastic ones. Even with the plastic seats I still think legroom would've been pretty below average but it wouldn't have been non-existent like it is now. It is disappointing because I know we're not going to see a new basketball facility in many years and it's not like they couldn't have done with a few hundred less seats in order to give everyone a bit more room. I don't think the place has sold out yet and, given the direction of the program and the fact that the novely factor of a new arena is gone, I don't see that changing anytime soon.

IBleedYellow
June 4th, 2018, 10:39 AM
I still think there's a lot to like about the SHAC especially given what it was replacing. My biggest complaints are the leg room (which I agree it atrocious) and the fact that there are seats instead of aisles directly behind the basket. I'm not sure what railing F'n Hawks is referring to since there is access to the upper and lower concourses from the aisle of every section as far as I know or have seen.

The seats are comfy but from what I've heard that's the problem. Apparently someone decided late in the construction process to replace hard plastic seats and chair backs with cushy upholstered seats and chairbacks and that led to the legroom issue since, apparently, no one realized the upholstered seats/chairbacks took up more space than the plastic ones. Even with the plastic seats I still think legroom would've been pretty below average but it wouldn't have been non-existent like it is now. It is disappointing because I know we're not going to see a new basketball facility in many years and it's not like they couldn't have done with a few hundred less seats in order to give everyone a bit more room. I don't think the place has sold out yet and, given the direction of the program and the fact that the novely factor of a new arena is gone, I don't see that changing anytime soon.

The issue is that the upgraded the seats last minute, and instead of putting the proper bleacher decks, they used the original planned ones....crazy how that wouldn't work.

Professor Chaos
June 4th, 2018, 10:46 AM
The issue is that the upgraded the seats last minute, and instead of putting the proper bleacher decks, they used the original planned ones....crazy how that wouldn't work.
Yeah, someone dropped the ball there big time. I'm 6'3" and the lack of legroom is definitely an annoyance for me but it doesn't prevent me from enjoying a game. What annoys me more is the lack of foresight by whoever presented and approved those changes. Given the money it cost and the difficulty they had raising that money they couldn't afford to **** anything up but they did.

F'N Hawks
June 4th, 2018, 10:47 AM
At State basketball the lower side opposite the benches was blocked off by a railing. Just like the old days of the BSA on that side.

Professor Chaos
June 4th, 2018, 10:51 AM
At State basketball the lower side opposite the benches was blocked off by a railing. Just like the old days of the BSA on that side.
Ok, I get it now. I can see your point there. It wouldn't have been that tough to provide access to the upper level from the lower level aisles on that side. That said, I'm guessing the reason they didn't do it is because there's actually more flow issues in that upper level than there is down by the court (since there's less space up there) and there's no concourse behind the upper level on that side either so they probably wanted to try to keep foot traffic away from there as much as possible.

IBleedYellow
June 4th, 2018, 11:11 AM
Ok, I get it now. I can see your point there. It wouldn't have been that tough to provide access to the upper level from the lower level aisles on that side. That said, I'm guessing the reason they didn't do it is because there's actually more flow issues in that upper level than there is down by the court (since there's less space up there) and there's no concourse behind the upper level on that side either so they probably wanted to try to keep foot traffic away from there as much as possible.

They didn't want to edit the actual concrete portion from the old section....which they would needed to have done if they wanted to remove the railing. Also it would be a hell of a drop and hazard if they removed the entire thing.

F'N Hawks
June 4th, 2018, 11:14 AM
They didn't want to edit the actual concrete portion from the old section....which they would needed to have done if they wanted to remove the railing. Also it would be a hell of a drop and hazard if they removed the entire thing.

Gotcha.